Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 05:21 PM   #46  

May I join the challenge? This is such a fun group!! Yet, dealing with BIG stuff!

OK - I challenge myself to journal every bite, to exercise 30 minutes every day, and to drink the 8 glasses of water - from now till the Solstice!

This will cross the lines of my 40th wedding anniversary, and my 62nd birthday! But, I will focus on the Solstice, because the other two things do not seem very REAL. The extra 40+ pounds I carry do seem very real, however.

Ivanna B. Svelte
Old 05-06-2005, 05:57 PM   #47  
Hot Stuff

Just a drive-by postie to welcome DTimpma to the Royal Court! Welcome, we are thrilled to have you with us!

I'll be back.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:01 PM   #48  
Hot Stuff

Kaylets, must be the particular tilt of the earth's axis or some other universal joke, because my DD has disappointed us once again, too. Kicked out of school for skipping far too many classes. When we moved to the new house, it was her idea to enroll in a new school and have a fresh start. That lasted long, didn't it? The scarey thing is, it seems everyone I know can relate, whether in their own family or that of a friend, where these young adults just don't care and don't seem to get it. There was no huge scene here that night, though. I just don't have the energy for that anymore, nor can my health take the stress. She was quietly told that I am hugely disappointed and she better get her act together as she turns 18 in four months. The free ride is over. Don't know how this will play out, but I don't hold much hope for a positive outcome. I am tired of being let down.

You and DH are doing the right thing with your DSS. It was a big step to move him out, don't take that step backwards.

Sad day at work today. One of the girls in my department is facing the death of her mother. Her mom was diagnosed with lung cancer in January. Went to the doctor because of a persistent cough and it was found. She has been very ill in the hospital and doing chemo since. She was told yesterday that the CT scan showed significant progression despite the chemo and was advised to discontinue treatment. She was first told to go home, but I learned today that she can't even go home one last time. They estimate she has a couple of days to a week. So while we are having a beautiful, sunny Mother's Day weekend, my friend and co-worker will be spending her last moments with her mother, who may not even know she is there. It is heartbreaking.

Whew.

On a much happier note, I have been offered a position in a start-up company with my cousin as their accountant. They are just getting this off the ground, but it has HUGE potential...to the point where they plan in two to three years to be able to quit their full-time jobs and run this business only, and they are taking me with them! It is all very exciting, plus it's extra money! Always like that. So I'll do their books after hours/weekends for the time being. Plan to funnel that extra cash into my newly-established Harley fund. Did I ever tell you girls I plan to get a Harley for my 40th? Just over four years away (if I can hold out that long). My Irishman just bought a new one, and I am SO jealous. And good gawd does he look HOT sitting on it! Mind you, he would look HOT in a potato sack.

Eydie, good vibes to your dad I hope he is having the laparoscopic surgery? Recovery is much better with that. If he has gut issues post-surgery as many do, he might want to ask his doctor about Questran.

Punkin, that's awful about your landscaping and driveway. I think a call to the owner of that company might be a good idea. It might have been an "act of God" that the downpour happened, but they should at least offer to cover SOME of the damage. It was their trailer after all.

anagram, I LOVE the image of you in your hot pink sun hat with the pretty rose! How perfectly royal! Enjoy those pedicures...am hoping DH will pick up on the hints I've been dropping for a spa package. Subtle ones like, "I want the Jasmine spa package from Salon Venere. Here is the address and phone number." But you know how men can be...dumb as stumps sometimes.

Ceara, very glad your DS is okay. Sorry about the car.

Amarantha, it is so nice to have you back in the palace cheering us on! I am very pleased to see the renewed zest in the court.

aria, NO can be a very empowering word. I used it myself yesterday with a so-called friend who tried to bully me into helping her with something I just don't have time to do. She is in over her head and expects me to save her. For once I put myself first and said NO. Felt bad for a bit, but not for long. Why do we have such trouble putting ourselves first, anyway? Great victory on the salad vs. pizza!

wsw, hello to you! Hope you are doing well.

It is a beautiful evening and I am going for a stroll. Ciao!
Old 05-07-2005, 12:15 AM   #49  
Empress/Queen

Talking Huzzah! Wow, whadda turnout in the Royal Court today!!! Hooray!

Firstly, let me add to the welcome to our newest ly personage, DTimpna aka Ivanna B. Svelte!!!! Congrats on thy impending wedding anniversary and birthday and excellent Solstice goals!!!! It is a happy occasion to have another royal member here in the Palace. We need all the good vibes we can get!!!!

Wildfire, I am sorry about thy coworker's mom, that is very hard, hopefully it will be a gentle time for them both

Re thy note, it is good for me to be back here more actively also as I always lie lanquishing for my -ly comfort zone when away in far lands!! I do think there's a very active vibration here amongst us these days ... we are still missing some folkettes, though, that I'd love to see return ...

Punkin, sorry thy landscape had a run-in with large machinery stuck in the mud!!! I'd be yellin' 'n screamin' at them to get themselves back and fix everything!!!!

But yes, it's Friday!

Aria: How's it goin'!!!

Arabella:

Eydie: Sorry about the gall bladder situation o' thy dad ... it's incredible, though, how much better one feels after that is done, so it's all to the good that he's getting it attended to! Congrats on Day 230!!!

Kaylets: I believe E hath much to say on the subject o' "Potatoes Not Prozac" ... it's a good program, IMO, although my implementation of the no sugar thing is done with Sugar Busters.

I've temporarily lost count o' my no sugar days, but will calculate them sometime soon and let y'all know.

Anagramatic: I think I like the idea of the two-toned red and purple hats. The ones I've seen here are all red or all pink!!! No purple! Actually, I think I would like a lavendar hat with ribbons. That'd be nice!

THE RECALCITRANT INNER CHILD MAISIE ONLY WALKED 10 MINUTES THIS A.M. BUT TOOK A 20-MINUTE WALK IN THE TOWN WHERE I WAS WORKING IN THE AFTERNOON. MAISIE HAS 80 MINUTES LEFT ON THIS WEEK'S CHALLENGE REQUIREMENT AND WILL HAVE TO DO IT ALL TOMORROW ... I'VE REMINDED HER THAT ANY UNDONE MINUTES WILL BE TACKED ON TO THE NEXT WEEK'S REQUIREMENTS, BUT I DON'T THINK SHE BELIEVES ME.

Must go, I am braindead as I have a serious situation going on with the work that I am not liking at all.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:52 AM   #50  

OK - Thy Flaky Princess miscalculated - the Solstice is June 21, which lies between the Anniversary and the Birthday. Whatevah!!

So - 280 minutes per week - HMMM! OK - Ivanna will go for that, too. Lazy Maisie has a cousin in San Francisco! I'll kick her booty out the door tomorrow morning.

Kaylets, I hear you about the DSS. Don't do it! We have a son who has paranoid schizophrenia - had to ultimately get a legal guardian for him. In his latest suicide attempt, he jumped off a bridge onto the highway below and broke his back and most of the bones in his legs and feet. So, now - for several reasons - he will always be in a nursing home. He is 33.

We also have a son who is with the San Francisco Symphony. He and his lovely wife live nearby, and have 2 darling sons. This son has made it VERY clear about how distressed he is about my weight. Sigh.

So, this princess is ready to kick some Royal Butt.

Exchanges - like Richard Simmons? - That was how Weight Watchers used to be, and it worked! Funny thing about that!

Warmest regards to the Kingdom!
Ivanna B. Svelte (Dtimpma - the Ma of David, the SF Symphony principle timpanist)
Old 05-07-2005, 11:55 AM   #51  
Empress/Queen

Maisie says "hey" to her SF cousin, Ivanna!!!! Funny 'cause I have close relatives in that city, although I've never been there!!!!

Thanks for sharing thy stories about thy sons. You have experienced much pain and much joy from them, I'm sure, and sound like a strong woman.

Yea, the old WW exchange system was the best that organization ever had (before it was a commercial venture and came up with a new diet every few years).

How neat about your son being the principal timpanist, BTW! What a wonderful job that must be ...

Dinna be distressed about weight ... it can be dealt with and 280 minutes a week is a good start!!!

Re that, I'm pleased and proud to report that Maisie has completed the 80 minutes she needed and can rest on her laurels until the week turns over tomorrow and there's a whole new set o' 280 minutes to get through. She did a 20-minute walk early today and then 60 minutes in the park with our walkin' pard!

Reluctantly I've decided that I can't afford to take the day off from the work and will have to do some writing after lunch to catch up, so I'm off to do some stuff now!!

Later, s!!!

Old 05-07-2005, 12:55 PM   #52  
Hot Stuff

Good morning, fair maidens!

It is turning into an okay day in my neighborhood. Slept until 10:30 this morning, which is unheard of for me! Guess I needed it. DD starts a new job today, well she worked a few shifts there over Christmas, but the owner has now taken her on, so I'll be playing taxi. NO WAY am I going in the mall...it'll be a mothers' day madhouse. Plan to do a little shopping for fabric (there is a sale!), then some sewing and chatting with the Irishman. Looks like we may be meeting in the next month or so! Saving my walk for this evening when it should be drier. I love evenings this time of year...still a touch of cool in the warm caress of the Spring breeze.

Haven't gotten the weight bench set up yet, so that'll have to be added to next week's goals. Not for lack of trying, though. DH threw down a road block and occupied the space with large garden tools of the cordless variety that need to be charged. Have been doing some upper body work with free weights, though, so that's good.

Happy to report that I am wearing my favorite pair of cargo pants today. Not much in and of itself, I realize, but I couldn't button these all winter! Small victory, but satisfying nonetheless.

My magnolias are FINALLY opening! Will take pictures to share.

Am realizing that since the weight of wanting to get out of that crappy apartment has been lifted and we are settling into our new house that I am so much happier and have much more energy and motivation. Plus the lack of spiders and those other horrible alien bugs that seemed to like the apartment is a bonus. I sure don't miss those guys! The plan is to ride this wave of newfound energy right into weightloss. Surf's up, dudettes!

I'm going to give the 280 minutes a go this week, Amarantha. 40 minutes a day...no problem. The challenge will be catching up if I miss a day. Keeping up the extra water...doing better on that now...and making reasonable food choices.

Ivanna, very sorry to hear about your son who is now in care. As hard as it is, sometimes we have to do what is best for them. Let's kick some royal butt and show your other son who is boss! It is sweet that he cares enough to tell you he is concerned.

Time for I can't believe how late it is already...that's what I get for sleeping half the morning away!
Old 05-07-2005, 07:20 PM   #53  
deleted2

Kaylets, keep us posted on the situation with DSS. Yes indeed, always trust the gut! I'm thrilled that you're reading "Potatoes Not Prozac"--if you ever want to talk about it, I'm your [wo]man! Her other book, "The Sugar Addict's Total Recovery Program" is better and has more up-to-date info and has tons of practical stuff. I don't want to bore anyone with my gushing, but I can't believe how my personality has changed since starting this. I'm more engaged with whatever's before me and am able to enjoy it, and have a high tolerance for things that used to stress me out. When I refer to the author, Kathleen DesMaison I actually call her 'the Blessed Saint Kathleen'!!! I wonder how she'd feel about that?
Had a great time at our Spring Frolic today even though I was there for 10 hours. Talked to 2 young women who are belly dancers and I talked them into teaching a class at the Homestead this Fall. Funny how I keep running into bellydancers---it's like someone's trying to tell me something! Anyway, a full day and one of those day's where I just love the human race--know what I mean?

Wildfire, sorry things aren't golden with your Daughter right now. I remember being that young and just not getting it, not realizing how every action I took was connected to something else.
Sorry about your friend's mother--so sad.
It's fun to learn something new about our biker chick, Wildfire---A HARLEY! Love that!

Hi Aria! Ceara! Anagram! WSW!

Where our the new queens that I remember from the Sugar-free thread?

Welcome, DTimpma! Thanks for sharing part of your story. I look forward to getting to know more.

Almost forgot--my dad came thru his surgery beautifully. He may even get to go home tomorrow! Thanks for the good wishes.
Meditation group was good last night--very lively discussion after. With that group you never know which way the conversation's going to go!

The end of a busy week; I feel like I can relax. Ahhhh....

Old 05-07-2005, 07:22 PM   #54  
deleted2

And where's Arabella?

Old 05-07-2005, 09:47 PM   #55  
Empress/Queen

Hmmm, here are the calculations:

Today, Saturday, Day 112, End of the 16th week no refined sugar, no white flour products, no corn or corn products, no white rice, no ripe bananas, no pineapple, no large amount of carrots (actually no carrots), no large servings of watermelon (no watermelon at all), no beets, no white potatoes, no raisins and no a few other things! A miracle!

Tomorrow is Sunday, Day 113, Week 17 starts; I have a gut feelin' that I've gained weight this week, for the first time since I started Sugar Busters (have had a loss of some kind every week). Just feel swollen and have been doin' what the SB folks say is "eating too much of the right things" ... not concerned, though. Doesn't seem that important anymore but would be nice to continue my streak to 135 without a detour.

But then, as we know, life's full of detours and they usually come as an unpleasant surprise.

Guess some are pleasant, though. I forget!

Blech. Must work tomorrow on the latest story from heck that I don't wanna write ...

Hello, E!
Old 05-08-2005, 07:36 AM   #56  
deleted2

Hi Amarantha! Congrats on 16 weeks!

I woke up incredibly sore this morning. All that putting up and taking down tables and chairs and carrying them all over creation has taken a toll on my old frame. I think I may have to go out for breakfast today--I need a treat! Better go now so I can get there before the MOTHERS! Happy Mother's Day!

Old 05-08-2005, 10:05 AM   #57  
Hot Stuff

Happy Mothers' Day to us all, whether our kids be of the two legged or four legged variety!

Spent some time yesterday afternoon with neighbors across the street. They are wonderful, interesting couple in their late 50s. He drives tankers for a large petroleum company here in Canada and she is an artist...silk screen, ceramics, etc. Very much into spirituality (not religion, there is a difference) and we have much in common. Anyway, during the conversation we got on the topic of bikes (he has a Harley) and I told him my plans to get licensed and buy one for my 40th if not sooner. Next thing you know, we are in his garage and I'm sitting on one SWEET black 96 Sportster with beautiful leather fringe, blinding chrome....I am in LOVE. (with the bike) He told me if I get a beginner's license and take the safety course that he'll help me learn to ride. Also asked if I want to accompany him on a charity ride at the end of the month. Last year's ride had over 1200 bikers!

It just amazes me how this house has turned out to be so perfect for us. Every new thing just fits like another piece to the puzzle. The former owners were from Nova Scotia, too, all the colors in the house being "my" colors, discovering my long desired magnolia tree was already here and blooming, lilies growing in my back yard (my favorite flowers...tiger lilies in particular), all the neighbors are wonderful, and now my dream of riding is actually falling into place! Wow. Funny, too, because the first time I walked through the front door here when our real estate agent took us to see it I said to Bill, "This is our home". I could feel it. Yet when I saw the listing online before we were actually looking I wasn't interested in it.

Today I am making drapes for my living room. Got an incredible deal at the fabric sale yesterday! It is sunny and warm here today so I want to get the drapes done and get outside to enjoy it.

Where IS Arabella of the Fair Isle?

Eydie, so glad to hear your dad is doing well! As Amarantha said, it is one surgery that gives such immediate relief from the pain that patients are glad to have it done. Where are you going for breakfast today?

Amarantha, congrats on 16 weeks sugar free! That is incredible! You must be very close to goal now.

Okay, I'm off...will check in later. Have a great day!
Old 05-08-2005, 12:46 PM   #58  

16 weeks sugar free? AMAZING.

Wildfire - so glad the house is perfect. It seems like you are settling into the perfect place in every way!

Happy Mother's day to all. We are having a peaceful day - going to the Ballet this afternoon with some friends - they suggested we meet early for champagne - NOT - kills the weight loss efforts right then! Then over to SF Symphony son's house for dinner. I'll have to dig in my princessly spike heels there, too, about the food.

It is raining - how can I get my start on my 280 minutes. Hmmmm! Perhaps an aerobic tape?

Much love to all,
Ivanna B. Svelte
Old 05-08-2005, 02:54 PM   #59  
Empress/Queen

Wink Day 113, Week 17

Yea, Ivanna, now on Week 17, Day 113, refined sugar free (there's natural sugar in milk, low glycemic fruits and vegetables, though, and I do eat these items)!

It's actually quite easy, no sweat at all. When you stop eating sugar, you not only effortlessly lose weight (most people do, I think), you lose all your food cravings and lose the desire for sugar. I would never have believed this could happen as I was the world's worst sugar addict, but it does.

There are many other benefits as well, right E!!!????

Sorry, rhapsodizing a bit.

I am in a much better mood today than I have been for the past few months ... feeling that finally I have put some things behind me.

Actually, though, as far as weight goes, I only put .2 of a pound behind me and am finally on a jumping off place to the 142s ... my weight loss has slowed, mostly, I think due to a higher cal count, even though I'm "eating the right things." However, this is so far from where I was 17 weeks ago, addicted to cupcakes and alternately bingeing and starving and going up and down in weight, fingernails digging into my hands (figuratively) as I tried to manage my weight and my original goal further away than ever.

Even in these past months when things have gone markedly wrong in my life, I've never waivered in my belief that this refined sugar free lifestyle is a glorious state to be in. I've never given more than just the most fleeting of seconds' consideration to going back to the Demon Sugar !!!

Sugar Busters, IMO, rocks!

Sorry this is a me-me postie today, that evil inner child Maisie is demanding attention. She refuses to get off the couch where she is languishing and reading trashy novels. If she is not careful, she's gonna find herself in a dark 'n dank Victorian boarding school where they will lock her in the attic with bats until she completes her exercise minutes.

But then, she'd probably find a window to climb out of and run off with a soldier to Gretna Green and we'd all be in disgrace and have to move to Bath where they don't know us and find work as governesses.

Sigh.

Inner children are like that.
Old 05-08-2005, 05:34 PM   #60  

Hello all

THanks for the good thoughts and good wishes--- and of course, I believe I might have overreacted a bit as so far, no response to DH's reply which said,
"Find other options..."......
Dh and I spent a good portion of the morning in the backyard, cutting grass, weedwacking, moving things around and got so much done so quickly, dh was even inspired to grab the pickaxe and pitchfork and started expanding the vegatable garden... Probably got a third of the new garden turned over....
and even came up with a perfect reuse for an arbor w/ a seat that needs some TLC..... we were going to gut it to use the side lattices but have decided to move it to the new snow pea garden and brace the back w/ more lattice and extend our tiny backyard by going skyward......

It was a great reminder of how much I love gardening. Its amazing how wonderful the rewards are w/ so little effort.....

But, I am sorry my royals, I just realized the bowling chariot awaits.....

Tra laa...
Closed Thread