Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 07:33 AM   #76  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Whew, it has definitely been quiet on here! Which makes me realize how much I LOVE this little group we have! I love knowing everyone on here and being able to actually keep up and connect with them (unlike the groups where you have 100 people all posting and I'm lucky if I really get to know maybe 5 of them, ya know?). Not that don't love having a TON of people on the other threads for information, advice, and a kick in the butt when I need it, but on here, we notice when someone doesn't post for a day or two, and I like that (not the missing people, but the really knowing people ). Anyway...

Last night wasn't so terrible at the restaurant. The night went by fairly quickly. I knew I was closing since I was hostess--same deal tonight. My next 3 shifts are all serving, though, so shouldn't be too horrible tomorrow night (Thursdays, you can actually make some $$). I did wake up this morning with a little bit of a sore throat. I'm praying it's just from sleeping with my windows open (kinda cool air all night long). I really can't afford to get sick when I'm working nearly 70 hours a week! I applied online to 2 jobs with Discovery Networks yesterday (Discovery owns TLC, Discovery Health, the History Channel, and a handful of others, too). How fun would THAT be?! I also applied for a job with a radio network (Infiniti Radio, one of the bigger radio groups around--I don't think I could work for ClearChannle with good conscience). I applied for a handful of other jobs, too, through Monster and CareerBuilder and WashingtonPost.com. I have a 4-year degree and EXCELLENT references and samples of my work--you'd think I'd be able to find something pretty easily, but no, they only care that I have a little less than 2 years of "professional" experience--as if working restaurant and retail didn't teach me more than any desk job I'll ever have! so frustrating--I just need some money, man! I know (and the bosses I've had and currently have know, too) that I am worth more than I am making here, but since we are on a government contract, our funds are somewhat limited, so a huge raise isn't really a possibility. I will probably talk to my boss here soon to let her know I'm looking elsewhere because of $$ and see if there's anything they can do for me (I hate to toot my own horn, but I know from coworkers and from my boss herself that I am one of the most impressive employees in our group because of my "anything for the client" attitude and my ability to "roll with the punches" and pick up new skills very quickly). It's at least worth a shot. The worst they could do is tell me no, right? And they can't fire me for wanting more money--it's too big of a corporation; they need a REALLY good reason to fire anybody!

Alright, work woes aside, I did well with my food again yesterday. I will stick to my packed food again today and see how it goes on the scale tomorrow morning Today I have a container of fruit salad (grapes, watrmelon, kiwi, and strawberries I cut up and threw together), a banana, an apple, the veggies in my stir-fry, and a strawberry-banana yogurt, so I have plenty of fruits and veggies for a 1500-calorie day, I think. Oh, and I had my wheat pasta and sauce yesterday--I thought it tasted normal. I have heard some people complain that the wheat pasta doesn't taste the same as the regular yellow stuff, but I thought it was fine (which is good cuz that means I won't mind eating it all the time).

Well, off to do some work. It's feast or famine around here--I've had little to nothing to do here for forever, and now I have not one but THREE projects piled on my desk since yesterday. I leave at 2pm, and I think veryone waits till 3 to come drop piles of work on my chair No biggie--I could use something to do (other than searching for mew jobs online while working at my current job ). Have a great one, everyone!
Old 05-11-2005, 02:00 PM   #77  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Omg! I had a huge huge post all ready to go, and now it's GONE! Thats sooo aggrivating!

Hi Jill!!

I am totally enthusiatic this morning. I had a great sleep, and woke up feeling really good My body also released some water weight last night, yay! I had put on 4 pounds of water weight, I was feeling pretty icky from that. But the scale this morning said it was all gone now. All of that fruit and water I had yesterday must have really done the trick I am trying to watch my calories/fat grams, and trying to make sure everythign I put in my mouth has some kind of nutritional content. Easier said than done! Yesterday I wasn't very hungry, and that fruit salad ended up being my dinner. Later that night though I had a snack of chips and dip, and hot chocolate to warm me up. Not so great with the nutritional content, except the hot chocolate, but boy, it sure tasted good going down My calories only endedup being 922, and fat grams were 33. Those were a little high, but only because of those chips, and I had to borrow someone's salad dressing.. I managed to leave mine at home.

Today we are off to look at cars, our 2001 is kinda dying. We want to get rid of it ASAP, we just don't have 5,000 to put into it to keep it going.. and we shouldn't have to either.. its got low km's and is only 3 years old!! We are looking at Honda Civic's, and Mazda Protege's, they both have really great reviews and we have been looking at both for a while now. We probably won't buy until next week, but we want to be sure of whats out there. Have a great day! And hopefully we'll have some more people around today?

-Aimee
Old 05-11-2005, 03:27 PM   #78  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Hi, girls! Gee, it's nice to be missed. So much for my posting, huh? We didn't check into the hotel until about 9pm and I was whupped from allergies. I was fast asleep by 12:30am! Howie got up and went to the plant at about 6:00am, but I snoozed until Noon, when Howie called to say he was on his way back to the hotel. The room was so dark, fresh-smelling and quiet, I just couldn't pry myself out of bed.

We headed back after splitting an order of fajitas at a local Mexican restaurant, and took the long, scenic route back home. I think we were on the road from 2pm-9pm, and very ready to sack out and watch "The Amazing Race" finale when we got back!

This is as close to my whirlpool bath as I got, I'm afraid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kimtub.jpg (9.3 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg howie.jpg (30.6 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg bath.jpg (18.0 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg armoir.jpg (30.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg kitchen.jpg (16.9 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-12-2005, 07:28 AM   #79  
Eating for two!

Where is everybody?! Only 3 posts total from all day yesterday--that's craziness for us. I only had 1 post to read when I came in this morning (since I read Aimee's yesterday afternoon), which didn't waste nearly enough time before diving into work! Speaking of work...

I called a little meeting with my boss yesterday afternoon. We sat down, and she asked me what was up. I just looked at her and said, "I am really tired." She said she could tell and that she understands I've been working about 70 hours a week between the 2 jobs, so it was to be expected. To that, I replied that I didn't want to have to work 70 hours a week anymore, nor do I feel I should have to. She said she agreed and that she just wants me to be happy. I told her I was going to look for a new job, and she just kinda nodded (so I think she had suspected--she even asked me if I already got another offer). Then she went on a little "I think you're fabulous and wonderful and everything you do is amazing" shpeel (is that a real word? how do you spell it?!), which is always nice to hear She also said that I would be getting my raise effective July 8th, but she doesn't know how much of a raise it is (corporate decides raises based on reviews, rankings, and who knows what else). I said that wouldn't make much of a difference since everyone I have talked to here has told me that the average raise is 4%, and one person has even told me that that is the max you can get this year. My boss said she made sure to give me a rave review and higher ranking than most so that I was 100% guaranteed a raise of more than 4% (which is good since 4% only equals out to about $20 more a week after taxes, but I'm making about $200 a week at the restaurant, so that's not even enough for me to cut down to 3 nights a week of serving). It was nice to hear that she really wanted to keep me, but salary issues are really out of her hands. She even said she just wants me to be happy and that, while CSC will only confirm your employment and not give you a reference, she would be happy to provide a personal reference for me if I need one. Yay! So, some good and some bad. I'm still looking (have sent out multiple resumes to positions online), and I got a call back from one I had applied to, so we keep playing phone tag trying to set up an interview. It's for a Marketing position with a law firm in DC (as much as I don't really want to drive into the city every day, I will do it if they pay me enough ), so we'll see how that all goes. Also, if I work in DC, then I can live in VA or MD and still have about the same commute, so I don't have to try to convince Jeff to cross the line into VA when we get a place together in the fall Alright enough about that...

I got up SO late this morning! I set my alarm for 4:32 (I always pick weird times--never ending in :00, :15, :30, or anything normal like that), but I rolled over and looked at my alarm clock at 5:28 and had a minor panic attack. I don't know if I turned my alarm off and don't remember, or if I hit snooze a LOT of times and don't remember, or if my alarm just didn't go off for some reason, but I normally leave my apartment by about 5:40, so I was running quite late. I did not have the 15 minutes to sit and soak my toe, so it will have to wait till tomorrow (poor toe--it was kinda hurtin' yesterday, too). Oooh well--I'm here now, serving tonight, and then tomorrow I get to work till 2 and then drive to Jeff's (where I will probably fall asleep on his couch till about 8, then wake up starving for dinner, as is my usual routine ). Oh, and today is my weigh-in day, but I didn't have a whole lot of time this morning, so I'll weigh in tomorrow morning. An extra day to lose, right? Actually, I have been peeking a bit (as I always do), and I think I may be staying the same this week, but that's better than going up, so I won't complain (as long as I stay under 300!). I know this weekend will be a little better than most, not necessarily because I will eat better (I'll be at his place, which means eating out for just about every meal), but because we are going to the HFStival on Saturday, which will include lots of walking and sweating in the sun and screaming at bands and drinking water and large-event lemonade (my favorite--the big clear plastic cups with sugar-water and half a lemon in it ). I'm very excited to see Coldplay and Unwritten Law perform. I'm also very intrigued to see Billy Idol perform Should definitely be a good weekend!

I only packed about 700 calories worth of food today (since I had no time to pack everything this morning). I grabbed a bagel and fat-free strawberry cream cheese for breakfast, a banana, a kiwi, a fat-free/no sugar added yogurt, and one of my little containers of wheat pasta w/tomato sauce and cheese for lunch. That means, of course, that I will be having dinner at the restaurant. I figure I can have up to 1000 calories and still consider myself within reasonable range of on-plan, and we serve this grilled chicken wrap with lettuce, cheese, and light ranch dressing that has less than 500 calories. That plus a side of fries would be about 800 calories, so I think that's my plan, and that still allows me more calories to add a condiment to the fries (which I will probably get made with NO fry seasoning--keeping an eye on the sodium when I can!).
Alright, enough about me. Let's talk about you! Or at least, let's hear from you! Wake up, everyone! As much as I love and adore Aimee and Kimberley, we miss the rest of the gang! Hope ya'll are doing well, and have a great Almost-Friday!!
Old 05-12-2005, 11:59 AM   #80  

Excuse me, who is that skinny minnie in the bath tub????? I hope you've given Howie a telling off for taking mystery woman away with him!!!!!!!!! LOL Your arms!!!! They look so skinny and toned, well done Mrs!!!!

I've been off work this week, and boy I can't wait to get back, I need a rest!!! I have swum every day this week, except Monday, I have been to the gym everyday, started a new, much more intense weights programme. I got my promotion, and found out today I have an interview next week for a different area of the business, decisions abound if I get that one. The one I am interviewing for next week is the one I really want!!!!

I am really suprised that i haven't been tempted to overeat this week. I find it easier at home than at work, for some reason. I think access is the main thing, at work there is food everywhere, at home there is only good food, and nearly everything in the house requires some degree of preparation, apart from the apples!!!

Tomorrow we have friends coming over and we are going out for lunch, for tapas in the sunshine (fingers crossed it is England after all) I'll relax a little with the eating, but not too much. The good thing about eating like that is you can make healthy choices, and then have a small plate of something not so good for you! And share it!

Gardenwife, my allergies are playing up, I think its because we have decent sunshine for four days running, which is not normal for these parts, and it has made all the pollens come out. I am getting sick of my runny nose!!!!
Old 05-12-2005, 12:39 PM   #81  
Eating for two!

kykaree--good job not overeating at home--I would have had a food field day all week long! Staying home alone is VERY dangerous for me food-wise...

So, I have some news to report on the job front. My boss came and took me to have a chat with her a little while ago. Apparently, she talked to her boss about what we had discussed yesterday, and they wanted to know if they could come close to what I was asking for, if I would stay here. Heck yeah, I'll stay if they give me $8000 more a year to keep doing what I'm doing! I tried not to act too excited about it, of course, but I was definitely happy to hear that they want to keep me so badly She said she won't have any numbers for me right away, but hopefully by the end of next week, I will hear something regarding how much and when. Yay!

Well, just had to share my happy job tidbit with ya'll...back to the grinding stone!
Old 05-12-2005, 01:29 PM   #82  

Default From out of the depths of a textbook....lmao

I can breathe! Its a miracle! lol. For a minute I thought finals would eat me alive. Luckily they didn't. I have missed you guys. Things here are crazy. Had finals, the kids activities, and now we have roughly 40 people coming here tomorrow to celebrate my bday from last month, my dads bday from last week, and my husbands bday this sat. IM suprising him too by having his family and best friend come in from out of town to the party. Then my new classes start on monday, Ms. Fabulous Di is coming to visit me on Friday(after what Di, 12 years?), and IM trying like heck to keep on point w/ the eating and exercising. Still, it was nice to be missed, and I really missed you guys too. I will try and catch up on what everyone is doing. Also, feel free to catch me on yahoo or aol, im not on often, but when I am I love to chat about whatever..lol.
Well, I better get the gift for DH finished. I'll be back on tomorrow morning for a short bit if anyone wants to catch me then. Stay safe all of my friends, Good luck on your jobs, your interviews, your new cars, your wonderful bodies, and your beautiful hearts and souls.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:38 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Goodmorning! I still have a few minutes left to my morning.. I got to sleep in .. kinda this morning.. it was nice Tomorrow though.. watch out, I plan to spend as much time in bed as I can!! I say that now, but likely I'll be out all day.. poo poo! heh.

Jill - congrats on the raise... it's funny what a company can do if they realize you'd leave if you aren't getting more money. When Josh gave notice at his current job, they REALLY didn't want to lose him, so they gave him 5 more dollars an hour, and full time hours. It was enough for him to stay with them, plus he gets normal hours now.. no more 12am-8:30am shifts Do you think it will be hard to give up the tips you are getting from the serving/hostess job?

Kimberley - nice pics You are looking pretty tiny there.. Howie too, you two are the unstoppable couple!

kykaree - I'm not very good with eating 100% on plan when I'm home for an entire week, I can do a couple of days.. and it definitely helps that I have to hike a fricking mountain to get ANY kind of junk food. You are really kicking it up a notch this week, with all that exercising and good eating.. you are going to knock off those 8 pounds before your bday if you keep it up Good luck with the interview, do you have a power outfit? I call outfits that make me look really put together and professional, and at the same time represent me a power outfit.. you feel like you can do anything in it!

Heather - my goodness, you are so busy you make me head spin!

As for me? I am off to work, I am working 12:30-9:30, have a healthy lunch packed, and am walking 2km's to get to work. And since I get paid tomorrow.. I have NO money today, so I don't have to worry about hitting up starbucks or the chocolate shop next door to my store.. heh. Have a great day ladies! And Marge? Diana? Where are YOU!?!?!??!

-Aimee
Old 05-12-2005, 02:43 PM   #84  
Howie6267's Honey

Quote:
Excuse me, who is that skinny minnie in the bath tub????? I hope you've given Howie a telling off for taking mystery woman away with him!!!!!!!!! LOL Your arms!!!! They look so skinny and toned, well done Mrs!!!!
LOL! You made my day!

Jilly, you're doing great - way to plan! Great you got to talk so frankly with your boss, too. Be nice if they'd get you enough money to stay.

P.S. Aimee, we cross posted! Hey there!

Last edited by Gardenwife; 05-12-2005 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 02:55 PM   #85  
Howie6267's Honey

I missed your second post, too, Jill -- Crossing all fingers, toes, arms, legs and eyes here in hopes you can get the raise you need! My friend got an insane raise when he told his boss he was leaving if he didn't get more money. He ended up leaving, anyway, but not for a while and only when he got an outstanding offer elsewhere. Must be nice, huh?

Missed yours, too, Heather. Glad to hear your finals are over. What are you taking again? Brain fart here, sorry.
Old 05-13-2005, 04:15 AM   #86  

Hi everyone

Jill - good luck with the raise, I hope you get what your looking for, I am sure it's less than you deserve!!! If we were paid what we were worth we would all be millionaires!!!

Aimee - I have got a navy dress suit, which is loose on me at the moment, but seems to fit whatever dress size I am, I think I will wear that, otherwise it might just be black pants and a nice blouse. It's fairly casual in my office, I had heaps of business suits that I wore in Australia but if I wear them here, people think I am "acting above my station" Office politics, gotta love it!!! NOT

I've really enjoyed this week, I have been so busy and not lonely and especially not comfort eating. I used to do that all the time when I was on my own, so it looks like my brain is finally getting into gear with this lifestyle change. I get such a buzz from the gym. I'll really miss swimming every morning when I go back to work.

Hubby is off today and we are meeting some of his friends and going out for lunch. I am going to relax and enjoy and aim for 2000 calories today instead of my usual 1200 - 1500.

It's weird going out with his friends, he is 20 years older than me, so of course all of his friends are older too, the couple we are going out with are the same age as him. Don't tell him I said this, but it's a bit like going out with your parents, Colin and I seem the same age when we are together, but with them, he acts a lot older!!!!
Old 05-13-2005, 07:03 AM   #87  
Eating for two!

Sooo sleeeeepy...I was supposed to serve last night, and if I had, I would have been home by about 9:30 (since the guy who would have been my artner in my section left a little before that). But, of course, that was too good to be true. No, instead the girl who was supposed to hostess last night called out, so guess who they asked to do it instead. No, not Darrin or Jin or Kali or Patrick or Amy or Josh or Nick or Katie or Bean. Nope, I was the first person they asked. And, as per usual, I said I would do it IF no one else would. I'm pretty sure they didn't even ask anyone else. I need to grow some balls and stop just saying yes to them all the time! So I ended up being there until close (11pm), and I bet I only made about $35. GRR! That is the 4th night in a row I had to stay until 11 this week. NOT cool!

Aimee--If I get the raise I'm hoping for at my full-time job, I'll probably still keep just a shift or two during the week at Ruby's for the cash flow. It's nice to not have to use my debit card for EVERYTHING--nice to just throw some cash around sometimes

I did get an email from a company that saw my resume on CareerBuilder.com. Now normally, when they contact me like that, it's for some crappy sales job or "marketing" company job (there are these companies that say they have "marketing positions with management opportunities"...what they actually are is those annoying people at mall kiosks and WalMart sidewalk stands and stuff who try to make people try their products--NOT my idea of a good marketing career move!). This was different, though...for starters, they actually used my name in the letter they sent me, which means it wasn't automatically generated to anyone with the words "sales" or "marketing" in their resumes. Also, they listed their company's website, and it seems quite legitimate. Their clients include McDonald's and AT&T (I'm assuming before they merged with Cingular), so it's not some weenie little company. They're a marketing firm that comes up with advertising campaigns and stuff. FUN! It also said their starting salary is $41,700 annually. Now maybe this is too peronal to share online or whatever, but here I go anyway. Right now, I make $31,400 at my full-time job. This pending increase should get me close to $40,000 (since that's what I was asking for in a new job). That said, I took the chance and applied to this company that emailed me. What could it hurt, right? They'll call me, and I'll ask the appropriate questions to know if it's something I want to pursue before I go anywhere for a live interview. No harm done, and totally worth exploring. Maybe it'll be the higher-paying job of my dreams

So yeah, I hopped on the scale this morning--holding steady at 299.5. Considering I had 3 12-oz cups of regular soda and 2 cups of regular-mixed-with-diet soda at the restaurant last night, a whole wrap AND big salad for lunch yesterday, and 1/4 of a cheeseburger and fries and coleslaw at the restaurant Wednesday, that's not horrible. I definitely went on a soda binge last night for the caffeine and sugar high since I actually fell asleep at a table in the restaurant for about 20 minutes before my shift started (my manager had to wake me up to ask me if I would hostess instead of serve)

Heather--so glad you survived your finals! Sounds like you've got a lot of great stuff coming up (Di visiting, bug party, etc.). Have fun--you've earned it!!

Kylie--one thing I actually LOVE about my job is that I DON'T have to dress up. I hate wearing suits and skirts and yuck. Not that I come in in jeans and t-shirt's every day, but I'll wear like a plain black t-shirt and some gray slacks or something confy. I would hate to have to give that up for a position that pays more but requires me to spend the entire increase of salary on a new grown-up wardrobe

Kimberley--Thanks for the crossed fingers! I know I am very fortunate to have a boss that I get along with really well. I feel like I can talk to her about almost anything. She's the opposite of my previous boss, who happened to be VERY micro-managing. My current boss LOVES that she can say, "Jill, here's a project. Figure it out," and I'll do it. My last boss would spell out EVERYTHING--probably spent more time telling me what to do and how to do it (and correcting every undotted i and such) than actually LETTING me do it. That was quite frustrating, but it definitely makes me appreciate my boss here a LOT more, so it was good experience, and I will keep it in mind in the event that I end up being someone else's boss in the future (which I hope isn't TOO far down the road--I'd like to NOT be at the bottom of the totem pole forever!).

Alright, off to work. I have 2 projects to do for our pain-in-the-butt client. Apparently, after today, she will be on vacation for 8 days, so nothing will be due to her until after then, but if I can finish the work today, then I can relax next week, so might as well get crackin'. Have a FABULOUS FRIDAY my FABULOUS FRIENDS!!
Old 05-13-2005, 11:53 AM   #88  

Default morning ladies.....

I have a million things to do before the party tonite, but I wanted to jump on and say hi. I hope things are going well with all of you. I do have two things to say to Jill before I go any further. 1. I now have the toe thingy...lol. and 2. I am soooo jealous of you. Didn't you say you were going to the MD festival? Well, if its the same one I'm thinking of, my fave band in the world will be there. I am absolutely crazy for Foo Fighters and Dave Grohl in particular. Just the fact that you will be at the same place as him......*huge sigh*...lol. Oh, and if you arent going to that festival....nevermind...lol.
There, whew, I feel better. Had my starstruck moment. I hope everyone has a magnificent Friday, and I will try to see you tomorrow. Aimee, Kimberly, Jill, Marge(miss you Marge) Sara, Di, and everyone else I may have forgotten, you are all wonderful people that have so much going on in your lives, that I'm so proud of you to be dealing with these life changes like you are.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:01 PM   #89  
Howie6267's Honey

Kykaree, I laughed when I read about your lunch plans. I have another friend online in a "May-October" marriage, and she describes similar situations. Hope you have a great time and don't have to sit at the children's table!

Jill, that's cool you have a response already. Howie received a call at work from a headhunter the other day. The company the man was hiring for was another direct mail company in Maryland. We're very happy here in Ohio and don't want to move, plus Howie doesn't want to get another job in direct mail if he does seek another job.

And me...Scale-wise, I was up 1/2 pound this week - might as well say a pound. Howie was up 2 pounds. We're chalking it up to the very salty meal we had Tuesday, plus it was probably more calories than we counted that day. We also didn't drink much water this week.

But enough excuses. Excuses don't solve anything, ya know? We've otherwise been on plan, and we're not planning on a treat night this weekend since Tuesday was more than likely our inadvertant treat night.

Last edited by Gardenwife; 05-13-2005 at 12:10 PM.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:02 PM   #90  
Howie6267's Honey

Hey, Heather - I even hit refresh before posting and still managed to miss you! Have fun tonight!
Closed Thread