Old 05-31-2005, 08:26 PM   #151  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Cool on all fours.......but at least i'm crawling........

Heh, is someone going to start the June thread........oh, it's just me that is into June already....Ok....I'll be patient.....

Raven -- I can't believe you didn't ask for money to help your friend out?!?!?! Driving all the way there, doing all that work. I mean, she'd normally have to pay. Why did you do that? Need practice or not, the work still got done as far as she is concerned, didn't it? Maybe there's something I'm not aware off.....it just really struck me as bizarre!!

Jolly -- I'm with you, just get back on track. I do the same, fly for a couple days, crawl for the next week.

Derry -- glad you were able to have a nice time in Boston. Never been there. Prayers are with you and your father and family.

happy -- glad to see you posting. How's the weight business these days?

Last edited by redballoon; 05-31-2005 at 08:32 PM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:35 PM   #152  
Student of the Hoof

Red - Wouldn't you? To help out a friend in need? But since you seem to wonder... Beverly has had a rough time. Last year, three of her horses were killed by a single lightning strike. It was devastating to her. She was able to get ahold of the breeder who had sold her one of the horses, a yearling QH, and she offered Beverly the opportunity to buy her dam at a very low price, and she would already be bred. Beverly reluctantly agreed to the breeding. Well, the dam (Boots) suffered an infected placenta, and the foal was born with neurological damage after a very traumatic induced labor. The mare had to be taken in to the hospital with the foal in the hopes of saving either one of them. Well, they saved the mare, but the foal started going downhill about three days after birth. She had to make the decision to put him down. This whole mess cost her a LOT. Not just in money, but emotionally. Chaos was the name of the foal, and he was Miri's half brother... and Miri is one of the ones she lost to lightning.

Now .. regardless of whether it makes sense or not, I love Beverly. She's been there for me so often. If I could help make her life a little easier by driving down to visit while she teaches me some really cool training stuff and I get experience working on her horses.. that's good enough for me. ****, I'd do it for you if you weren't in Japan. Sometimes you gotta give to get, yaknow? It looks like she may very well pick me up as her regular trimmer (for full price) and not only that, but there might already be 6 more horses owned by a friend of hers that need trimming - for full price. I think of it as an investment in my future, and my friendship. And honestly, my friendships are worth their weight in gold. I don't have many people I consider a friend.
RavenToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:56 PM   #153  
Never give up

Thumbs up

Hi Raven, oh, God, I do it too much, giving....

I actually didn't find your wanting to help her out so strange, not strange at all. What I found strange was not reading that she offered you anything. I mean, you said, her regular farrier was out of town. Ok, fine. If he were in town, she'd have gone to him, and paid him, no? So I would think she would want to pay you, would at least offer. I mean, damn, five hours driving!? She called you? I don't know, maybe she was really panicking and was just bowled over by what you did for her and is too embarrassed to offer you money. But, she knows how strapped you are I assume.

I don't know. I am more concerned for you, Rave, and hope you're not being used because you're so nice. You say she's been there for you a lot though so all's probably dandy. I'm a bit jaded with the "give to get" stuff anymore because I've been screwed over by the people who did the getting part so much. Hard to give in a world that values material things so much, a world that seems to have such a hard time expressing anything in anything but material terms....talking about here...that is.

In any case, it's next to impossible for us here on the board to know a situation, truly know it. From the sounds of it, with her likely to take you on as a regular and the other work form her friend, it sounds like this is one time where things really do work out with that rare logic.....that precious and even rarer........good things happen to good people kind of karma. It is my hope that good things really do and continue come your way, Raven!!

Last edited by redballoon; 05-31-2005 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:19 AM   #154  
Student of the Hoof

Red - She paid for my gas, that's all I asked her to pay. She fed me, let me stay overnight at her place, and let me use her shower. She's a wonderful, giving, caring person. I wasn't being used in the slightest. Been there, done that. I have my cynical moments too. As a matter of fact, I have one of those 'iffy' situations coming up this weekend. Another friend has asked me to drive down to Macon to trim her horse - she usually does him herself, but hasn't had the time lately. Soooooo.... I offered her the same first time deal. Pay my gas, feed me, we'll have a good time thing. But with her, I'm a little more cautious about what might happen going forward. But I'm still basically the kind of person who will let people hang themselves. Give them a chance, see what happens.
RavenToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2005, 08:30 AM   #155  
Never give up

Wink all's well that ends well..........

I like that Raven, "let them hang themselves!" Yeah, that's what I do too. 'Cept I'm usually feeling pretty ill watching them swing.....

Well, I'm glad this friend paid for your gas......that changes the picture considerably. I thought it was all on you. Guess with a business you've got to really learn to really, really roll with the punches. Safety in numbers and all that. Take the bad with the good. Well, hope you get a lot more good...OK, I've off to bed.

Early up tomorrow, racetrack, then stable, then hotel maybe for drinks with people in from Hong Kong..if I can still move. Three HK horses here for the race on Sunday, two biggies. The winner of the HK Champions Mile will get a million dollar bonus if he wins on Sunday. Some incentive, eh?! The other one, his rival, Silent Witness, was stopped at 17 straight wins. Out for revenge, perhaps. I'm starting to feel like gambling away my . . . what. . . can't be my money, don't have any of that.... maybe my clothes.......no, none of them either.....oh, well.......good night, all!

Last edited by redballoon; 06-01-2005 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-01-2005, 03:35 PM   #156  
Never give up

Question new thread on the way?

Heh, Raven, you gonna start up the new thread for June? If so, can you please give us a shout here. I tend to forget and then get lost. Thanks! I'd start it myself but figured you'd enjoy the honors!

Last edited by redballoon; 06-01-2005 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:49 AM   #157  
Never give up

Here's the link to the new thread. Lucky I saw it!!!!
Derry, I know you always get lost too. Click here and jump on over!! See you there!

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58900