Old 01-17-2005, 03:28 AM   #1  
Mooz

Default Movin' & Losin' Part 16

Welcome to our new home and let this be the time when we all decide to get healthy and stay healthy. I admit I have fallen off the wagon once again and I have not been using the “I have Willpower” thought like I was a while ago. That thought really worked when I was using it so I am starting today to think it often and especially when I am tempted.
I have to do this as I have to get my Blood Pressure lower and God only knows what my cholesterol is. I want to lose a bit of weight and then get them both checked. Maybe I should be getting them checked first but I am scared to!
I am going to try and eat 6 small meals a day and then I won’t get too hungry at anytime. I will drink lots of water as that is also, in my opinion, one of the best ways to keep from overeating.
For me the exercise is not a problem( except in really bad weather).
“I have willpower” and I can do this with the help and encouragement I get from all you lovely ladies.
Together we can!

Lose weight with water
by Sharon Biggs

'Must drink more water, must drink…' We all know that the wet stuff is essential for life - but did you know it can help you lose weight?
Water keeps us cool, lubricates our joints and flushes toxins from our bodies, but admit it, how many of us really drink the recommended two litres a day? For those of us who do struggle to drink enough, the great news is that water actually can help you in the battle against the bulge.

Now for the science bit

Your metabolism is the bio-mechanical process that breaks food down and turns it into energy. In a nutshell, it consumes calories. Since metabolism is your best ally in the frontline against weight, you want it to be working at full speed. Water is the fuel that drives metabolism's chemical reactions. So, if you're not drinking enough, you won't burn as many calories as you can. Simple.

Running on empty?

If you're not drinking enough water - at least 2 litres a day - here's how your body is being affected:

• Your weight loss will slow right down. This is because about 2.5 litres of water is naturally lost through daily bodily functions such as going to the loo and sweating. If you don't replenish this water you'll soon become dehydrated, and your metabolism will be among the first to shut down. So, if you're dieting and you can't seem to shift the weight, perhaps it's because you aren't drinking enough water.

• Your digestion will suffer. Water is essential for digestion and elimination. Poor digestion means you won't be absorbing the goodness from your food. Your body in turn will send up signals (read: cravings) for food that has minerals your body lacks.

• You'll feel 'fake' hunger. When dehydrated, your body sends out the same signals that prompt you to eat and you may end up answering that response with food. Water will not only curb those hunger pangs, but it will fill you up. Fitness trainer Bob Greene recommends drinking a tall glass of water half an hour before a meal to fill the void and prevent overeating.

• You won't get the full benefit of exercise. Your metabolism increases with exercise, and as we mentioned earlier, water is essential to maximise your metabolism. Drink plenty of water before, during and after your workout.
Mine's a pint (or five)?
How much H2O should you drink? The British Dietetic Association suggests adults drink 2.5 litres (that's a little over five pints) of fluids a day, which can include fruit juices, squash and weak tea and coffee. This amount is recommended for maintaining your daily fluid requirements. If your aim is to lose weight, add another 750ml to that and you'll aid your metabolism and help create new muscle weight.

• You know you're drinking enough water if your urine is clear and odourless (not including your first urination of the morning).

• But sorry, ladies, even though it's technically fluid, alcohol can't be included in your daily intake. That's because booze is dehydrating - so if you are going to have a tipple or two, drink one glass of water for every glass of alcohol.

Drinking loads of water will not make you retain water, but dehydration will. If your body feels worried that it's not getting enough water, it will hold on to what it has.
Water does make you pee and you will notice more trips to the loo, but you can lessen the effects by drinking throughout the day rather than chugging a couple of glasses in one go. If you drink more than one or two glasses in one sitting, your body will want to get rid of it and you won't reap the benefits.
Although some dieticians disagree on this, sparkling water, weak tea or weak coffee can count toward your daily fluid intake. But because they have a diuretic effect, try to limit the amount. Consider drinking herbal tea instead. If you are going to have an espresso, add an extra serving of water to your daily intake.

It's as easy as one, two, three…

1. Keep water by your workstation. Instead of munching on a biscuit or crisps, take a sip from your water bottle.

2. If the thought of consuming that much water makes you queasy, be strategic. Drink when you are most thirsty: when you wake up, when you have your meals, during your workouts. Carry a bottle of water with you and you'll be more likely to sip your way to your daily amount.

3. Make your water taste better by buying a water jug with a filter. You can also make your own flavoured water by cutting up a lemon, apple or cucumber and adding to the water. Or mix with a tiny splash of squash or juice. Try making herbal iced tea by pouring boiling water over four tea bags, letting it steep for 10 minutes and diluting to taste with cold water.
And there's more

Although we diet for health reasons, it's often the fact that we'll look better that keeps us motivated. Drinking plenty of water will give you that dewy, fresh-faced look by plumping the cells in your skin so lines are less visible. Water flushes impurities away and reduces blemishes. And, according to the American Holistic Association, water has a very high concentration of negative ions, which can bring about a feeling of well-being.
Sitting by a lake or ocean can add to your sense of peace; a benefit for emotional eaters. Swimming is great exercise and the fact that you are immersed in water means you'll also get the emotional benefit of those negative ions. So what are you waiting for? Jump in now, and before you know it, your weight loss will be going swimmingly.

Last edited by mooz49; 01-17-2005 at 03:31 AM.
mooz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 11:39 AM   #2  

Hello Ladies,
Mooz- thanks for our new home. I too have not been following my new year's resolutions, I always seem to let work get in the way of not exercising. I know it's just a excuse though. Working out would definitely help out my stresses that I do have with work. I just have to get that focus, that motivation.

oops need to run, be back in a while
1day@atime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 08:09 PM   #3  
Give peace a chance.

Default Good evening

Hey--lost almost a pound today!

Now if I could just keep it off.

Mooz, good material. Isn't it silly how we stop doing things that work? Why do we slip back? Thanks for the new start. Let's make it a new one for all.

Breakfast with my best friend, saw the nurse practitioner (did I tell you my dr left? So we will see her until the new dr comes). She said I was doing well. Worked with my storytelling coach, saw my pastor, took a bunch of old books over to sell -- Busy "day off."
Catlover777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 03:00 PM   #4  

Hi all~~
Cat, you make a good point. Why oh Why do we slip back when we are doing it steady and slow and supposedly making new and good habits? I can't figure that one out.
Glad your doc said things were going well with you. I think i remember you saying that the doc left. When will they get a new one at your office?

Great news on the pound lost! YGG
I am down 2# since the beginning of the month. Feeling great with this new year of walking every day. 2 miles in this morning and most evenings DH and I add another mile...hoping we can do even more soon.

Finally got in the pool and hot tub yesterday. My knees were very sore from the walking and i'm thinking i'm getting arthritis in them also, so the hot-tubbing relieved it nicely. Started again in the middle of the night tho, so i am going to go again and sit in it, even if i just put my knees in. I can't sit in there too long w/my high blood pressure. They say not to go in at all! But i just do it for 5 minutes at a time.
Besides i think i've gotten the bp down with cutting out caffeine('cept for occasional chocolate!) and the walking must help too. I must check it again.

~~MOOZ~~ good ideas on the water. I did not think of cuke or apple in the water. Might like that better than lemon. I have cut way back on my diet soda/cola drinks. And trying to add more water. Got to buy it here in AZ to be able to drink lots of it. Tastes pretty terrible out of the tap. I mainly use that for dishes/showers. I even use the bottled for our (decaf) coffee!

I think i'll brew up some iced tea now. Thanks again for the tips! And the new home!

All for now chicksters~~ thinlizzie
thinlizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:28 PM   #5  

Hello ladies,
OH, what a day. I have a big project that is due friday and I'm feeling really stressed. I missed my weight in at Ww on sunday, and I really need to get in. Yesterday I went and bought lots of fruit and veggies and brought some to work.

Cat - when do you leave for your trip? WTG on your 1 # loss.

Thin - WTG on your 2# loss. Getting in a hot tub sounds really great right now. We had another cold spell but we're due for some warmer weather this week.

Hal - your fish dinner sounded good. That is one food I wished I like more. I don't mind eating it at a restaurant, but cooking it at home. I just don't know. I don't like the smell it leaves.

Nita - I'm sure your daugher is really enjoying having you around.

Mooz & Mitchellez - Hope you all are doing ok.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:26 PM   #6  
Give peace a chance.

Thin--WTG on the loss.
I know knee pain can make it hard to exercise. You might ask your dr about glucosamine. It's great for arthritis, and lots of drs and the American Arthritis Assn recommend it. Doesn't work right away, tho--have to take it at least a couple of weeks.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:23 PM   #7  
Give peace a chance.

Chicks--we fell to p. 2!!! Let's not let this happen.

Meanwhile, I did get the promotion. (Did I mention there was a test after training that I was worried about?

We went out to dinner--v healthy salmon and lots of veggies--a bit large serving but not huge, and and I left some of it which is unusual for me.

Let's get back on track!
Old 01-20-2005, 10:29 AM   #8  

Mornin' Chicks~~ i know it is quieter on here w/o Michelle and Nita so lets all try to post more to keep us on page one like Cat said!
Congrats CAT~~~ on the promotion. You must have aced the test you were worried about. Good job! Will it entail a raise? Hope so!! that is always good incentive
Glad you chose healthy foods for your dinner out. I am thawing some of that tilapia fish for tonite. I think i'll grill it? I've never cooked it B4. Anyone reading please advise if you have a recipe for it!
I will check on taking glucosamine. DH has taken it and had good results. It's not a dramatic change, but it will ease some of the pain. Does it interfere w/any prescription drugs? Or i can wait and ask my doc when i get back home in the spring.

Got my 2 mile walk in already and it's only a bit after 8 our time. We are going shopping for some good walking shoes today w/DMIL. All of us need them. Anyone hear of Propet' shoes? That is the ones we are going to look at.

DH and I have been walking twice each day. About 2 miles in a.m., and 1.5 in the evening. Going to try to add to this soon. He has been a great ally in this challenge i'm in, cause some days i would like to skip walking and he gets my butt out the door! Love that guy!

Talk more later! thinlizzie
Old 01-20-2005, 01:45 PM   #9  

Hello Ladies,
Things are really hetic here at work. Luckily I have been bringing lots of fruits. I think yesterday I ate 2 apples, 1 banana and 1 tangelo. To me it seems like alot of fruit but I know i'm lacking in veggies. My project that I am working on will tack place on friday. I will be so relieved to get that done with.

Cat - Congrats on your promotion. Hope more money comes with it.

Thin - WTG on getting your walking in. I wish I had someone to walk with at home. At work I have a friend to walk with but with this big project I have not been able to walk this week. That's great that your hubby is keeping you in line with your walking.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 01-20-2005, 04:55 PM   #10  
Mooz

Hi chicks - just a quick call. The weather is miserable here and not great for walking although I did get twice today which was great. Eating is not good and maybe I should try and post every day to see if it helps me get back on track! ........ so I will drop in tomorrow morning again.

Old 01-20-2005, 09:36 PM   #11  
Give peace a chance.

Thin--WTG on the walking. And 1day--good food choices with the fruit.

Wonder how Michelle is doing with the contest she's in.

Yes, definitely a raise with the new job.

Still haven't actually started the new duties yet--now the waiting is making me nervous. Guess they have to wire up my phone to take transfers.

Mooz--WTG on walking in spite of the bad weather. Always better to do something than to do nothing because you can't do all you'd like.

See everyone later.
Old 01-21-2005, 01:38 PM   #12  

Hello Ladies,

My big project was this morning and it went great. I was so stressed over it and so proud of myself for not running to the nearest ice cream store. Usually when I get stressed I eat my comfort foods and this time I ate nothing but fruit.

Mooz - That is great you got your two walks in. I know it's so hard to get back on track, but keep taking little steps and eventually they all add up.

Cat - Hopefully you won't have to wait to long before you see your pay increase.

Hope everyone is having a great day!
Old 01-21-2005, 06:00 PM   #13  
Give peace a chance.

Just a quick note to say I'm spending this evening and Sat. with the storytellers. You may not hear from me until Sunday.

Love--
Catlover
Old 01-21-2005, 08:43 PM   #14  

Hi Chicks~~
Got a new job at the flea market. Both DH and I will be working for the same gal. She is the one i mentioned we had been trying to get in with. She is an awesome young lady-runs over 30 booths in there and at least one store that i know of. I'm quite sure she is under 30 yrs old. At least she has a smile and a nice attitude. We work hard of course, but it will be nice to have more cash to do things. Otherwise we always seem to bow out on alot of the events his mom and friends of ours attend. Just can't swing it all on a pension.

~~1DAY~~ CONGRATS :clap: on your project turning out so great and that you did not give in to sweets during the stressful times. YGG! That is fantastic.

I think with the job and my plan to drink that new slim-fast i will see more #'s dropping off. Tho i didn't have enough energy to walk 2 miles after 10 hours of work today, I didn't feel as bad as i thought i would. I'm sure the 3 miles we walked daily has helped us to have the stamina for these jobs. I have 2 more days of the 10 hours each day so i will be hard pressed to post, but i will give it a try in the evenings!

~~CAT~~ have fun w/the storytellers, we will miss your posts, but look forward to some news on Sunday from you.

~~MOOZ~~ daily posts will probably be just the thing to keep you on your journey. Are you still using the journals on here like you used to? I haven't had time to go and see how many still do.

All for now! I will be hitting the hay early tonite!

thinlizzie
Old 01-22-2005, 08:45 AM   #15  
Mooz

Hi there chickies - just a quick call. EAting is still not too good but so far today I have not been too bad. Yesterday I did over 20000 steps so I was pleased with that.

Thin- that is great news about the job and great that you are both working for the same person. I don't visit the journals as often now.

Catlover - have a great weekend

Patty - well done in the wise food choices.

Another choice

Stress is only what you allow it to be. When you choose not to let it affect you, it is now longer there.
There are no situations that are stressful on their own. There are only situations in which you choose to respond with a stressful attitude.

When you choose to focus on the negative aspects of a situation, you choose to fill your experience with stress. Yet there are other choices.

You can, for example, choose to respond with love. You can choose to respond with positive action and enthusiastic determination.

You can look at challenges and see in them the opportunity for positive progress. You can look at the disappointments and see in them the opportunity for real joy.

When stress begins to fill you, stop and remember that it is only one of many possible responses. Then smile and make another choice.

-- Ralph Marston

Last edited by mooz49; 01-22-2005 at 08:47 AM.