Old 04-03-2005, 10:06 PM   #61  

By the way my new ticker is my goal for April!!
mom of 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 11:42 PM   #62  
partyof5

Hi everyone, first I want to start with telling you all that last night about 9:30 I checked in to catch up with everyone and I got to about the middle of the posts and thought to myself "I'm going to the gym." So when I finished reading I put on my shoes and went. My husband said that it closed at midnight but when I got there it closed at 10 so I thought I'd do the elliptical crosstrainer since it's the one I have the hardest time with and I was able to do it for the full 20 minutes that I had. Probally because it's the only thing I did. But I wanted you all to know how motivating you all are. I wasn't planning on going to the gym yesterday because it was my daughters birthday and we had a party for her and some family spend the night. Nobody seemed to mind me going though. When I got home my husband was on the computer so I showered then went to bed. I didn't exactly stick to my planned meal at the pizza place but I did good. I had salad, 2 pieces of pizza, tiny bit of the frozen yogurt, and a small piece of cheesecake. I ate a bananna for breakfast. That's all I ate for the day. I had one of those stress stomach aches when your planning a party and hope everything works out. It always does but we still lose our appetite.
This morning after taking everyone home we headed out to the races. I can't remember the last time we had had something to do on both saturday and sunday. I'm beat and my back is killing me from sitting on the bleachers for 5 hours today.

I was wondering how often everyone weighs in? I was thinking maybe we should all choose a day of the week or month and weigh in together. Just a suggestion. What do you all think?

Welcome dmb.

Andrea thank you for the food suggestions. I'm so glad it's spring and all the fruit is in season again. I love going to the farmers market and buying the freshest fruit and vegies. I'm gonna make myself a fruit salad now and watch Desperate Housewives. Anyone else watch it?
I'll check back in later,
Marina
partyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:08 AM   #63  

I think it's a great idea to have a weigh in day! I've been following Dr. Phil's book as much as I'm able and one of his things is accountability. I think it would be a great place for us to have that accountability and support. I'd be willing!
Maybe it should be Monday to gear us up for the week.
Maybe we should have a nightly post of what our workout plans are for the next day and if we stuck to our plan for the current day? Just a suggestion.
aweighstogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:29 AM   #64  
On My Way!

Wow! I love this thread! So much fun to have partners in this effort!

Joan, your story about wrestling your daughter was so funny! Brought back memories. I used to do that with my oldest son when he was younger (he's almost 16 now and lives with his dad in Alaska) . Once, when he was about 7, he had spent a winter in Mexico with his dad and then came to Washington to stay with me afterward. He had been swimming every day for months and was so strong I could hardly pin him down! If I had been as out of shape as I am now (but I'm working on it!), he would've pinned me! He's coming to visit me in 3 weeks, and I haven't seen him in about 3 years (no rift between us--he's just a bit set in his ways and wasn't into coming for some time now), so I'm excited, but nervous. We talk on the phone all the time, but it's not the same as being around him. I feel out of the loop with him, and he's now much taller than me--6 feet tall--and has a really deep voice! But, he is very into yoga, so we at least have one common interest. Wants to take an instructor's course when he gets here if there is one available around here. Maybe he can teach me some more!

Anyway, Joan, I also wanted to congratulate you on that emerging waistline! Yippee for you! I was excited the other day, because my saddle bags are starting to melt away and there is a smoother line from my hips down my thighs! I carry my weight mostly in my hips and thighs, so I like seeing that change!

Karyn, why can't you eat fish? Do you not like it, or are you allergic, or what? Just curious. By the way, good for you for searching out new recipes. It can be fun to try new foods and makes this weightloss regimen more of an adventure, I think! Keeps your mind on something positive--what we CAN have! Also, kudos for resisting the cookies and candy at the grocery--THAT can be HARD, especially if you have kids begging for some. Were yours with you?

Val, that was an interesting dinner (bunny and soy nuts)! I laughed when I read that solution to the Easter dilemma. Sounds like you are finding good ways to meet your kids' needs while also meeting your own. I wish mine were old enough to go bike riding. If I didn't have so many, I could pull them in the bike trailer, but I have to have my husband around for that, and have our bikes out of storage, too, so he can pull the trailer, and I can put the youngster in the child seat on the back of my bike. Hasn't happened in over a year, since I moved out here to the coast from Portland. Sigh...but there is a beach! And summer's coming! It's been raining and hailing so much lately, but this afternoon there was a break, so I rushed all the kids out to the beach and we played with our black lab. I threw a stick into the ocean for her a few times and then pretended to be the "KissyMomster" and chased the kids around the dunes, until the clouds got threatening again. Fun! And got a little exercise in!

Oh, and Val, don't you just love exercise that also accomplishes one of your other daily goals, ie: lawnmowing. So efficient! Your goal of losing 6 lbs in April is a good one--reasonable AND do-able! Go for it!

Marina, Yay! for going to the gym after reading the posts on this thread! I know what you mean about it being inspiring. Last night I broke out my bellydancing dvd (and made a fool of myself! ), and got in some more exercise. I really want and need to do more and you are all inspiring me to find ways, despite my current limited income. My husband said he'll look at that bike stand that's so tippy. He said it shouldn't be and perhaps I haven't got the bike on there right. We'll see. Otherwise, I'll keep dancing and practising my yoga.

I'm all for a weigh-in, but I do have a slight problem. I don't have a scale. I will get one eventually, but my contractor husband says it will have to wait a week or so, because he needs to finish some jobs and pay for materials. I hate being this broke. I weighed in last Thursday at a local T.O.P.S. meeting. I'm not a member, but the first visit is free, so I went to check it out--and get weighed . The thing is, I live in a retirement community and the youngest person after me looked to be in her mid-50's, while the rest were clearly in their 60's and older. I liked them alright and don't have anything singing dorky songs of inspiration with my elders, but I only have so much money to spend on child care, so if I pay a sitter, I want it to be for something REALLY good and enjoyable for me, and frankly, that meeting just didn't fit the bill! I'd rather go on a good hike or something like that when I pay a sitter. Know what I mean? But anyway, I don't have a scale yet. I wish I did. I'm just so curious about how I'm doing! I could use the scale at Curves, though I'm not a member. I think they would let me go in and step on the scale a couple of times, until I can get one of my own. There is a Curves gym in a strip mall in my town, which also houses the local fudge and candy shop (how appropriate is that!? )

Well all, as usual, I'm rambling and this is LOOOONG, so I'll cut it short. Can't wait to hear from you all again!
Serafyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 10:51 AM   #65  

Yes I am allergic to fish. I have only had alittle taste here and there without a problem but once i had a lot of crab legs and was sick for a week so i don't eat it. my hubby doesn't care for it. so its not a problem here. we usually have chicken, beef, pork loin and ground beef 93-97 lean. i don't own a deep fryer and use my grill all summer and my oven all winter. now i have a crock pot.

My son came with me but didn't ask for the sweets. he was happy with the fruit in the cart. he loves fruit but can't have apples (can i put apples inthe cabinet for me or willthey spoil?). He asked for yogurt. Dr phil says to shop aorund the outer permiter an d not the isles so we just went to the isle for coolaid, crystal light and pretzels.

I like the idea of weighing in. I would like Friday better but what ever day you choose is fine with me. I am in. Andrea is there a golds gym by you . I know they weight dr phils weight loss challerngers for free without joining. you might want to check on it tho. you could bring your kids with you. just go during a quiet time olf the day. call them and find out. I am all in for the preday posts also..

I am going away april 28 to Baton Rouge for my husbands bowling tornament (myson is staying home with my mom) so its just hte two of us going... anyway I would like to be down 10lbs by then. That is my goal for this month. I am going to hate going out and buying shorts in the size i am in but its already 70 degrees there.. ugg.. I can't wait for my exercise machine to come.

anyway talk to you later.

karyn
karyn818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 11:12 AM   #66  
time4me

S/C/G: 221

Height: 5' 9"

Thumbs up You girls totally rock!

Hello moms!
Boy, has this taken off !! I haven't posted in a few days and I can't believe all the good energy here ! I don't know about you, but this group has got me totally motivated. The most difficult thing for me with my weight has been the feeling that I am the only one struggling. I see my sisters, girlfriends, colleagues, and other moms at the preschool who all seem to have it "together" when it comes to their bodies. I know this can't be true, but it's my perception when I'm feeling down on myself. I think "why can't I just be like so and so...her body looks great and she's got ___ kids at home, etc., etc." Does this sound familiar?

Anyway, I've been cutting my portions and walking this week. So far, so good. I would love to set up a weigh day for everyone - I think being accountable to the group would be helpful for me. Welcome to all you moms who have joined us!

I also appreciate the input on the abd issue - My boys were big babies also and I have what my mother (9 kids) referred to lovingly as her "apron" I do have a core exercise ball that I plan to start once I get some more weight off - but I thank you for your ideas.

Can't wait to read more - keep it coming! We will all soon be "Yummy mommies"!!

Kelly
yankee girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 12:04 PM   #67  

Cool

I love the idea of a weigh in day. Currently I weigh in once a week, on Monday morning, and guess what!! This morning when I weighed in I've lost another 2 lbs!!! Yay!!! Gotta go check back in later.
Old 04-04-2005, 12:22 PM   #68  

Smile

Andrea, you could also see if you can weigh in at your local health dept. Most of them have a nurse on duty full time. Maybe they will let you weigh in there.
Do you have a Dr that will let you use their scale? A lot of times they will let you come in just to use the scale. Most Dr.s appreciate you trying to take care of your health/weight. Life is hard when you don't have any extra funds.
I fully understand where you're at!

Let's pick a day to weigh in. Any day is fine for me.

Just so I don't chicken out I'm telling you all that I am planing to take the bellydancing class at my gym at 5:30 tomorrow. I'm telling you so that I don't chicken out! I need to spice up my life a little bit!
Old 04-04-2005, 12:25 PM   #69  

Thumbs up

Val that's great! I weighed in this am too. I'm still at 196 but at least I didn't gain!
Old 04-04-2005, 02:09 PM   #70  

I'd love to join in on the weighin, the board I formerly posted at always did it on Fridays but Monday sounds great to me. I look forward to joining you all.

Diane
dmb1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:14 PM   #71  

Great to have you here Diane! I love the little cheerleader on your ticker, but I think it may be because I also have red hair I also love the little dancing banana so chances are you guys will see that one alot in my posts!
Old 04-04-2005, 02:34 PM   #72  
On My Way!

Hi all! I got up and did my yoga workout again this morning! Feels so good to stretch and warm up those muscles. I stayed up late watching a movie last night, and it was hard to roll out of bed, much less excercise, but I'm so glad I did. Good movie, by the way. King Arthur Have any of you seen it?

Karyn-- Yes! You can store your apples in the cabinet. I keep mine in a bamboo bowl with bananas and garlic and oranges, etc...They do fine. In the old days people would store apples harvested in the fall in straw in the loft of their barn. Someplace relatively cool and dry, I think is good, but if you're going to eat them up, the counter is fine. It takes them awhile to go bad.

There is no Gold's Gym around here. I am surprised there is a Curves, actually! This is a pretty remote place out on the Pacific Ocean--primarily a retirement and vacation community. Very small and what gyms there are (I think there are a couple besides the Curves) are local and small. But, I really like Joan's advice in a later post about weighing myself at the health department! I know just where that is, since I pass it all the time.

Have fun in Baton Rouge Karyn! I'm from Louisiana, though I haven't lived there since I was a teenager. My family is mostly there still, in Lafayette. Recently I read a book written by my high school sweetheart, called World Food: New Orleans. It is a travel, food and culture type book. It was so good and included info not just about New Orleans, but cajun country and North Louisiana as well. It was so good--made me want to go back and thoroughly explore and get re-acquainted with my roots. Also made me want to EAT! hahaha...Be careful while you are down there. The food is RICH and fattening and delicious. Enjoy yourself, by all means, but watch your portions sizes--even go smaller than usual if you can, so you enjoy more without overdoing it. Good luck! Have fun! Oh, and don't worry about those shorts. It is hot an muggy in Louisiana, so just be comfortable and know you are caring for yourself!

Kelly! Glad you're back. You are the reason this has become such a great thread! We all related to that great tagline: Mom's ready to take care of mom.. Thanks so much. OH, and I LOVE what you said about us all becoming "yummy mommies" That's what I want to me for sure (though my still occassionally nursing 21 month old already thinks that I am! )!

Val--GREAT job going down another 2lbs! It must feel great. I can't wait to weigh in again. I'm soooooo curious!

Joan--Thanks again for the great idea about weighing in at the Health Dept. I wil definitely give that a try.

As for weigh in day, I've read in a fitness/health article recently (can't remember where) that weight fluctuates alot according to certain hormonal patterns, etc.. and that Thursday is often the day that women weigh their least. I'm okay with any day, but just wanted to throw Thursday out as a suggestion, because of the possibility for less weight! haha

Joan, don't chicken out on the belly dance class! You'll have so much fun. I've been involved (years ago) with women who belly dance. They are warm and open and have a LOT of fun. I wish I could take a class instead of watching this DVD. Would be so much easier to learn the moves with a real live teacher! Go...and have a blast! Nice job staying out of the red on the scale, too!

Keep it up the good work everyone!
Serafyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:34 PM   #73  

Talking

Andrea: Any suggestions on what to eat or what to do in Baton Rouge? We are flying in on a thursday and frlying on monday so its only 4 days. I will try to be good. Wednesday when my son goes to preshcool i will get some apples and hide them. they will be great for breakfast.

Today is my real first day on my program. Before i was just easing in to it for a couple of days. I got to tell you I did great so far: coffee, turkey sandwhich and salad and of course my crystal light..yay for me.. I didn't exercise yet but the day is not over. I think I will take the dog and my son for a walk..

karyn
karyn818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:54 PM   #74  

Talking

Thanks Andrea for the encouragement to go to the bellydance class!
I'll do an extra swing of my hips for ya!!!
I think we need a bellydancing smilie!!!
She could be our mascot for the board!!

I'm wondering what everyone wears for the class? I guess I'll found out. I'll dance but I am not baring my stretch marks for anyone!!! I'll do a lot for fitness but I draw the line there! (i'm sure everone else in the class will be very thankful!)
Old 04-04-2005, 06:41 PM   #75  
partyof5

Wow! This group is taking off. Everytime I log on there's so much to catch up on.
This morning I got my wakeup call at 8:10 (my kids are off track till 4/25 so i get to sleep in a little longer) and was at the gym by 9am. I did my 1 hr/15 minute cardio workout and I felt good. It's getting easier. My goal is to be able to do the ellipitcal crosstrainer for 30 minutes. Right now i'm at 15 minutes but that's kicking my butt!!! I also carry my weight in my hips and thighs and was told that the elliptical is the best machine for hips. It figures!
This morning before I left I weighed myself and I lost 3lbs. I was surprised because yesterday I started my period and I felt extra heavy this morning. Even after I took off my shoes, socks, sweatpants, shirt, jewelry, hair piece, and tried one last time to go to the bathroom. This week I plan to be at the gym at least 5 days, follow my WW points, and drink lots of water so i'll be curious to see how I do next weigh in with all that and no monthly visitor.
My daughter and her friend want to play outside so I need to go keep an eye on them. I'll check in later this evening.
Marina
partyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote