Old 01-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #1  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Thumbs up It's a new dawn, a new day, a new life: Treating ourselves royally in 2010

Happy New Year!

And here we go! This thread is dedicated to the idea that if we ensure our real needs are met, we won't be trying to make up for the failure to do so through food.

This year, let's get enough rest, groom ourselves like s, eat healthily, get fresh air and exercise -- and all those other things that contribute to our joie de vivre. Let's stop pushing our feelings way, way down (a la Marge Simpson) and dedicate ourselves to living life to the fullest. No matter what!

This year, let's treat ourselves royally! Come on in and share your plan for spending and ending this year in a healthy and happy place.

Huzzah!
Arabella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #2  
Hopeful Member

S/C/G: 154/ticker/123

Height: 5'3"

Great post, and I love the musical reference! You really described my plan for 2010. Happy New Year!
natamars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:43 AM   #3  

Default my plan

My plan exactly! Lots of bubble baths, long walks with my dog, and more movie nights! I am also taking less college hours so I do not have to stress over those!
mykidshavepaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:17 AM   #4  

Thumbs up Why my plan will work this time

So. Weighed in for the first time in a month, 6.8 pounds up. Making it about 20 up since July. Creeping on, bit by bit, when I wasn't looking. So, as I know, the solution to that one is to keep an eye on scale. Anyway, I'm back, I'm motivated and... it's going to work.

The major factor in my favor this time is ... I've got a new office space! Yes! I've been working from home for over 10 years. My worst problem is always the afternoons at home. I'm tired, I'm bored, I'm stressed-out... and the kitchen is mere steps away.

This past week, I've been taking a healthy lunch to my new space, thoroughly enjoying it and being satisfied and then coming home to a healthy dinner. When energy lags in the afternoon, I go out for a little walk around town. I was walking down the street yesterday thinking the offices were a hop, skip and jump away from everything -- and I literally felt like hopping, skipping and jumping. Now, that would have been a spectacle.

I've been getting gussied up to go to work, taking care getting dressed. The offices are in a nice old building, lots of character. There's a kitchen with tables, a lounge, a boardroom. It's SO much easier to concentrate there, it's just amazing. And all the stress of having to keep an eye on the clock and jump up to start preparing meals when I'm in the middle of something? All gone! AND DH even seems to be adjusting well. I love this!

So. I'm getting more exercise -- the walking back and forth. I'm out of my binge zone. All my meals are controlled. Yup, I think we're a go.

Natamars, nice to see you!

Mykidshavepaws, a focus on self-care is bound to do it.

Where beith all other Royal folkes?
Old 01-08-2010, 09:38 AM   #5  

Just takes me a while, Royal A. Actually I had some unhappy weigh-ins but today I was at 198.4 and, of course, THAT I wanted to share.

Hi, natamars and mykidshavepaws. Aren't those great goals? Lets hold 'em tight.

And congrats on big lifestyle change, Arabella. I like the sprucing up part, esp. as I think I'm not real good on that when I'm not going out. DD gave me another makeup thingy for Christmas and, of course, I hadn't used much of what she gave me last year. So, RESOLVED, use a bit more makeup, esp. on/around eyes. I'm sure you'll meet new people and enjoy that too.

As usual I want to take better care of me, as well. Again, I'm doing better than previously but way more could be done. (I did go with blue polish on my toes during the ped/man this time and some sparkly stuff on my fingers - so decadent ;0 )

Yes, sis said it's cold there and was gracious enough to point out that she'll have more time to spend with local sis and I when we do come as all her kids/grandkids won't be there. Seeing the k/g was of course one of the reasons we planned to go - but, hey, what can you do. Local sis is out of hospital now and hopefully ok and she says we'll go in spring which suits me a lot better. Either way, it's stepping a bit out of my comfort zone.

Dear neighbors have me shovelled out again already. Love these people.

Tai chi this a.m. and maybe a movie (solo if need be) this afternoon or tomorrow. So many I want to see.

Lovely day, ladies..............

Last edited by anagram; 01-08-2010 at 09:40 AM.
anagram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:09 PM   #6  
wsw

hi natamars!

happy new year, mykidshavepaws!

arabella-thanks for starting this thread! this theme is definitely a prescription for success. so glad that you love your new office space! sounds like it is having a great effect on you.

anagram-know it must have been disappointing not to be going to tx now, but good that you will be able to go in spring instead, and when it is warmer. you do have nice neighbors shovelling you out this morning. hope tai chi class and movie were good.
recent ped/manicure sounds fun with cool color and sparkles.

have found help with searching for more places to look at, and also referral for getting more handyman repairs done around here for now (and for when get ready to put condo. on market). feeling hopeful about all this.

so cold, as it has been, but glad sun was shining today, which definitely helps, though. what's wrong with me?!---i should be looking for some place new to live in hawaii instead of here. lol! sure glad i had gotten a nice, new warm coat last month at least. well, off to bed. a good evening to all.
wsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 04:50 AM   #7  

Smile Saturday in the Palace

Early here, DH still asleep. I'm enjoying the quiet and nice cup of tea, snuggled up in armchair with the laptop. I've got a friend's short story to edit/critique so I think I'll get that out of the way and then get on to planning my day.

One thing FOR SURE -- as God is my witness, I will paint my toenails today!

Anagram, I am so impressed by your blue sparkly polish! I've never gotten wilder than orange. Ohhhhhh... someday I will. Today I think I'm going hot pink, though. But maybe I'll buy some decadent colors for some bold, brave future day. ;-)

I forget how many you have but it occurs to me you are, like me, rich in sisters? I think I knew and forgot. I've got six of them, ranging from one six years older to one seven years younger.

WSW, Hawaii sounds heavenly! Let's all go! I can be packed by noon. I'm not totally into this winter thing, I have to say. The house is cool, have to put on so many clothes to go out. But then again, it is very pretty sometimes -- Christmas card-like out there now.

And it does feel awfully good to warm up with a snuggly throw or a sweater. Had DGS over the other night and he said, "Nana, do you ever notice how good it feels when something stops hurting?" Yup, I said.

Pretty good day yesterday, although I was thinking afterwards of calories that could have been cut. I'm counting steps again and got over 15,000. New pedometer, though. The old one didn't count steps around the house as much as this one does. Nevertheless, pretty good. Could have cut calories more, though. I had hummus and crackers for a snack and could have had less of it. And then chicken Caesar salad and oven fries for dinner. That's our usual Friday night dinner. Thinking next week I'll do the mix in the bowl kind of dressing and probably save an embarrassing number of calories.

Oh I do like this "working out of the house" thing. I'm happy walking to work, happy walking home. I love being out in the world!

Well, here we are in January and I've got three parties this week. One sister's birthday, one afternoon tea with the neighbourhood ladies and the festive season gathering for my writing group storm date. I'm just going to have to keep my wits about me and PLAN ahead. I think the only one I'll eat any treats at is the neighbourhood tea. My neighbour makes the most incredible baked goods. And she makes them tiny, so a few would be a manageable number of calories < 200, I'm thinking. She makes teeeeeensy mince tarts... Well, shall plan for 3, I think and arrange day accordingly.

K, I'm off to see if I can finish this edit. May all lies have a lovely day. Hoping the wanderers find their way to the Winter Palace soon.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #8  
wsw

arabella-so cute, and true, what your dgs said! i too am going to get some more bold colors for royal nails and toes. did get bold with my dark chocolate brown on nails recently, and have even gotten several compliments on it. may try stepping even a wee bit further outside of comfort zone.

sipping tea and snuggling under a throw does sound good. i had to get up again last night to put on 2 pairs of socks and gloves, which helped a lot. i usually pull the gloves and socks off in bed after a while, but not last night, so i really must have been cold. i do look like i am dressed for a camping trip in alaska when i crawl in to bed at night!

sticking to food plan and exercise, but may have to shake things up a bit, since scale not moving. something else shifted regarding how clothes are fitting, though, so that is good at least. when warm up a bit with some tea, will venture out and do a couple of errands. a friend just called and they are going to come over and we'll go out for lunch and visit here afterwards. they are bringing their little baby girl, which will be fun. glad i did thorough cleaning yesterday, so all i have to do is a a little quick straightening up, before they arrive. well, take care, all.

Last edited by wsw; 01-09-2010 at 10:42 AM.
wsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #9  
a work in progress...

Just a quick pop in (for now) to let you know I'm alive! I'm home! AND, I'm on board for the royal self-treatment, 2010 style!

Going to catch up on thread reading, then I have to scoot down to visit my mom this afternoon. I will be back later to share my adventures in in-law land!

katrinabgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 04:54 PM   #10  

Wise little one, that DGS. Warm and snuggly w/throw and tea is what I've been doing today too. Was 202 this morning again and weighin tomorrow will likely be bad as well but I'm being kind to me today (it's 4 yrs today since DH left me - unwillingly but nonetheless).

Enjoy that wee one, wsw. Was to have seen our wee-est this week but cancelling of trip meant that was cancelled too

I'm proud of your brown nails, wsw. My blue is only on my never-seen-by-anybody toes. But the sparkly on my fingers can be seen by all and I'm growing quite fond of it. I'll be back to hot pink on my toes next time as I think it's the springiest of colors and "next time" I'll be ready for spring.

You DO have lotsa sisters, arabella. I have three - I think our total was the same but I had four bros, as well. It does get so confusing talking about sisters because I feel I have to mention their states to keep them separate and that doesn't work because only one lives out of state. I am however the oldest - the others being 2, 6 and 14 years younger. Older than all the bros too. My DD (who was fairly close in age to some of my youngest sibs) feels somewhat cheated to have only the one brother.

Waiting for that report, kat. Take a deep breath and we'll see you when you're settled in.

Back to my tea, throw, music and paper. Since trip was cancelled, I have a whole week w/nothing scheduled escept what I choose to do. Today I'm not a bit sorry I'm going to miss the shindig. Maybe I'll even get in another movie. Saw and enjoyed "It's Complicated" the other day.

All that cozy stuff is calling.............
Old 01-10-2010, 09:25 PM   #11  
Empress/Queen

Just my semi-annual or somethin' fly bye to mine ol' lang syne here in the palace 'n still thinkin' on ye queenlies 'n bein' grateful for the royal fellowship enjoyed here throughout the years.

Arabella, I envy thee going out to thy office, I've been working from home for almost as long as ye did and I do believe this is the last year but we'll see.

Anagram, how lovely to have a whole unplanned week, enjoy ...

Kat, huzzah!

Wsw, hope ye enjoyed your friends' visit.

Mykidshavepaws, hello, mine do, too.

Natamars, nice to meet ye! Happy New Year!

In fact, Happy New Year to all!

My plan is just to continue my daily exercise streak, no day missed in 2009 and so far in 2010.

I am channeling St. Patrick's Day already, always ahead of the season.

See ye, dear royals.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #12  

Thumbs up And that was the weekend

Too short, but that be the nature of that beast. Friday I did a fair amount of lumping, combined with ferrying DGS, shopping. Saturday I tidied, put a folder of family Christmas pix up on Facebook. Sunday I vacuumed, mopped the kitchen, did laundry, went to my sis' birthay party... aaaaand...

Flourish of trumpets, please:

All hail my hot pink toenails!!! I did it. Not on Saturday, despite solemn promise, but managed on Sunday and now life may continue.

But I must say the dark brown and the blue are calling to me. I'm thinking dark brown fingernails with sparkly blue toenails is something I must try for myself. I am quite excited.

Anagram, I've got you beat -- six sisters and three brothers. I've felt like the eldest mostly, though, because my elder sister moved in with my grandmother when I was 12 and my elder brother left before that.

WSW, what a nice feeling to have visitors coming over and already have a thorough cleaning done.

I used to live in a drafty old duplex where I paid for my own heat and I was dressed similarly to go to bed: long underwear, PJs, wool socks, hat. I'd get dressed for bed, look at myself in the mirror and laaaaaugh.

Glad you're home safe and sound, Kat! Looking forward to hearing your account.

Janga, always so nice to see your royal highness in the Palace! Sending you good "get out of work situation" vibes. I feel like my new digs gives me a boost to keep on going with job until I can transition to more of what I want to do. Huzzah!

K, lies, am at said offices now and should be doing work. Let's make this a good one!

Last edited by Arabella; 01-11-2010 at 08:23 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #13  

Hey, there, Janga - good to "see" ya - and St. Pat's channeling sounds good. I'm picturing me mebbe at 195 then. Looking next to just staying under 200.

And speaking of absent s - to Royal Kaylets, be she able to find time to lurk. Hope things are going in right direction.

'Ray to the hot pink toenails - if we weren't so Royal, Hot Pink Hotties would be a good name for us.

You do indeed surpass me on the 'sibs. No. 2 and No. 3 in my group also moved away so I was sort of "alone" until #4 grew up enough to share in responsibilities. Right now, she carries more than I (I semiretired - but I don't think anyone cares any more.

I was 198.4 today and liked that better. Didn't deserve it either. Am off to tai chi now and a better week, surely.

Last edited by anagram; 01-11-2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #14  

And today I was 201.4 - aaah, these ups and downs and this time I do not know why as I thought I was quite moderate yesterday and even had some exercise.

Stiff and sore today (weather, I think) and so glad I was not starting on a trip. Sometimes things work out for the best - it just takes a while to see it. DSis (travelling companion) has been out of hospital a few days but still having problems so will have more tests tomorrow (that they should have done while she was in hospital in Dr. Anagram's opinion).

Anyway, I'm going to watch three hours of THE OFFICE tonight - always good for my spirits. Well, maybe not three hours straight but won't be doing a LOT in between.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:41 AM   #15  

Thumbs up Party day

Today I'm celebrating an end to the festivities. Oy! Enough! This afternoon is the neighbourhood ladies' tea and then tonight is the postponed writing group party. And that'll be it for the 09/10 festive season. Holy smokes. I think I'd love it if I wasn't working full time, but it's all a bit much.

So, anyway, must plan. Have had a hearty bowl of oatmeal and will have hearty bowl of soup for lunch and a piece of fruit. Then a couple of tiny treats at the neighbours. Dinner I'm going to forgo anything that's not OP and stick to small portions.

I've got a new twist in my workouts -- Tabata training. Not replacing my usual routines but added to them. It's pretty intense but I love the idea of increasing my aerobic capacity and strength quickly -- and in four minute workouts. I was humbled by first workout, I must say. Each "sprint" is 20 seconds. Well, 20 seconds of "high knees" running in place kicked my behind. And push-ups? Girl style. BUT. I will improve. And quickly, if the reports be true. Watch out, World -- I will be UNSTOPPABLE!

Anagram, I wonder if there's not a connection between the stiffness and aches and weight fluctuation. I think I've noticed same myself. In any case, you're bouncing lower all the time and will soon see that border for the last time.

I must check out The Office. We watched the original and it was good but I expect darker than the US version. I enjoyed it but then always felt like shooting self afterwards for the bleakness of life as portrayed.

Right, then. I'm off to work. Actually going to work from home today, mix it up a bit. Love to all! Let's make this a good one.

Last edited by Arabella; 01-13-2010 at 06:44 AM.