Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 01:20 AM   #121  

Tuscany would be lovely, but so would the Fjords or Provence... Wine/ Scotch/Irish Whisky/mineral water....

what I really want is hips that fit into the airplane seats, unshakeable confidence and a post tax bank account in the black without any credit card bills.

So far the mini0-meals plan is working well. I'm sleepy tonight, even after a post work nap (!)..

I don't have any news. The Nutritionist told me not to weigh... so I'm not. That's a relief. Nothing is tighter... but on the other hand, no clothes have fallen off, either. I'll keep you posted.
Hope you have a great Thursday.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:42 AM   #122  

Kiwi, are you talking about Far From Heaven? Good movie.

Last edited by Wabby; 04-14-2005 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2005, 01:57 PM   #123  

Painty, do you like your nutritionist? I went to one for awhile, but she annoyed me - what exactly does your person do for you? Does she ever talk about the underlying reasons for overeating or is it just "eat broccoli and broiled chicken and report back to me"?

Word on the post tax bank account in the black. This is also my week to fund employee retirement accounts. argh.

Friends stopped by yesterday evening and yes, the house was a mess again. DS's cookie making mess and dog hair dust bunnies. I just wish ppl would show up after I clean just once in my life.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:47 PM   #124  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

SPEAKING OF MESSY HOUSES!!!-- it is shocking what a dump this place is now that i am never here--you would think it would be CLEANER but NO-----i am too tired to "keep up" and so i don't and dh!!! for gawd's sake!!! is no help---when i have those girls here all summer it will be a disaster! i am so tired i don't even CARE what a dump it is!!!!
Old 04-14-2005, 05:47 PM   #125  

DH's sister just stopped by to give me an invitation to a "commitment ceremony" that she and her bf are having on Saturday. She can't get divorced because she would have to pay spousal support to her estranged husband because he's a deadbeat who didn't work for the 17 years they were together. So she can't get married, but somehow she cooked up the "commitment ceremony" plan instead. What do you think? I suppose we have to go because it's DH's sister, but I think this is just screwy. Why not just continue to live in sin? Am I supposed to give a "commitment" gift, or should we just commit her?

It comforts me to hear that your house is a mess, too, Bagzie. I've even considered signing up at the Flybat.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #126  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainterWoman
... but on the other hand, no clothes have fallen off, either. I'll keep you posted.
Please do let us know when that happens. It sounds like an event!

Yes, Far From Heaven, that's the one. I loved the way they filmed it in a kind of slightly unreal atmosphere; it was beautiful.

My doctor keeps telling me to go to a nutritionist. I don't wanna. I think it's because I have a good friend who is a dietitian--isn't it hard to take something seriously when you know really well someone who does it? Or is that just me and my medical phobia? (Brought on of course by some childhood rejection trauma from having a doctor father who left when I was 4?)

Bagz, you seriously must get those girls on a chore schedule or something. I'll bet they'll all want to work in the shop. Maybe you'll have the whole summer off.

We went to a lovely concert last night. All school stuff of course (what else do we do?) The final concert for the high school and middle show choirs, jazz choir, and also the jazz bands. I'll send out a few pics. They will not be very good, because my camera doesn't do well indoors at a distance, but you can see the crazy costume DD wore.

I am finalizing plans for our trip to NY and Boston next week. At probably 4 of the schools DD is looking at, she will be sitting in on classes, which means DH and I will be wandering around looking dopy I guess.

TPBM has suggestions for how we can make ourselves useful while DD is in classes

Kiwi
Old 04-14-2005, 06:15 PM   #127  
Member w/ messiest house

What an awkward event--I can't imagine what the gift protocol would be! People who don't know them very well will probably think this is a gay wedding.
Old 04-14-2005, 07:35 PM   #128  
loves kleenex box art

False. I would just sit in the car and wait.

DS told me yesterday that he's going to the prom which is Saturday so today I hauled him into the tux rental store where he picked out the most basic everything and tried to get away with saying "I don't need a vest." "I don't need shoes." "I don't need a tie." He gets them all and I hope they fit as SHE said he needed a size 26 pants. I said 29. She said 26. Her boss said 29 because there is no 26. So they'll fall off.

She asked him if he was going with a girl. "Sort of." Do you need to match her? "No. That's ok."

So out of the store I said, "I must ask how this girl is sort of getting to the prom. Are you sort of supposed to take her?" No.

"Should you sort of bring a flower-thing?" No.

End of discussion. I can't bear FlyPower. Isn't there someplace kinder? Where is Lush hanging out? I know she'll not tell us as she wants her privacy. But there must be other places.

Bagz, are all dhs so ... imperfect? I was thinking of the dh of my coworker who is a major and bossy and all that. He saw some pink ribbons on a vehicle and said, "What is that? Are they making fun of the military?"

TPBM thinks I should get ds a flower-thing for his lapel.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:52 PM   #129  
Member w/ messiest house

Heck no -- you should call the sort of girl's mother and conspire about flowers and transportation. Or if you can't quite manage that, you should buy DS a lovely wrist corsage, which I trust he will give the girl. If you get a pin on one, he might just ditch it so he won't have to pin it on her.

Or not.

DD's prom date's mother and I have been conspiring for weeks. She is matching his cumberband to DD's dress. Because I gave her some preview pics of her dress. Which DD doesn't know about. I'm just a meddling mom. I also plan to insist that he pick her up, which he will if I ask him to (DD probably will object), because he is the politest boy I've ever met. Of course this is not really a "date" either, because they are just friends.

I will not be sitting in the car next week. Especially at Columbia, since the car will be 25 miles away. I'm hoping DH will be up to asking people questions, because I hate doing that, and DD is not big on accosting strangers with questions either. If DH is feeling okay (he's still really tired from his surgery, but back to work : ), he's pretty good at talking to people he doesn't know.

I still get Motivated Moms emails -- not much discussion, but they tell you what to do every day (not that I ever do it). It's for people who hate thinking. And you know, Cherry has a very friendly Messies website. I haven't gotten a newsletter from her for many months, but I'll bet she still has the forum going.

You know, Wabbit, they have commitment ceremonies around here every spring -- when you bury the people that died when the ground was too frozen to dig up? Oh wait, that's interment....
Never mind.

TPBM has kids that actually dated in high school, unlike the current junior class, which "does stuff".

Kiwi
Old 04-15-2005, 02:32 AM   #130  

True. but only my shy son dated. He had the gumption to ask girls out.... and double dated with his step brother. His "flings" were gorgeous girls... but the serious ones were usually semi-goth or at least alternative. My daughter had mad crushes, but was apparently the "girl next door:/sister type... don't know whether that was a result of HER pudginess or just huge boobs. I can see how she might have been intimidating to little 9th graders.

I hope the committed ones have checked up on the possibility of being bigamists due to common-law marriage regulations....

I like my nutritionist. She explained the American Diabetic Association exchange plan (which I actually already knew) and started me on that with a food journal. Actually, it "worked" fine as long as I could do it. Vacation to a hoity toity hotel in Chicago was my undoing. I got used to having dessert. Every day. Dinner AND lunch usually.... She has more alternatives than a single diet plan... like her encouragement to do "mini meals" rather than count exchanges.....

She apparently had her own eating disorder (anorexic/exercise etc) and sees it as the opposite end of the same spectrum as where I am... so she doesn't come across as holier than thou.... And she never ever scolds. THAT is worth everything.

I recall that DD refused to engage in any conversations with college folks when I was present. I don't know that she would have been different with her Dad or her step-mom present. She sort of intuited what she thought and felt. Of course, she listened pretty closely when I asked questions..... which I did plenty of....

She looked at the Boston schools... decided they were toooooo citified... which is why she really liked Mt. Holyoke. I think a coed school might have been better... but apparently Amherst didn't have the subjects she wanted and Emerson (?) was too odd. I think she would have liked UMass... Amherst, although it is pretty big and perhaps not so well known that Dad would have liked paying out of state tuition. He teaches as Merrimac north of Boston... apparently a nice little liberal arts college...

I kept hoping one of my kids would like Cornell AND be accepted. BEAUTIFUL!!

What is Motivated Moms?
Did you hear about that @#$%'d 911 operator here in Texas who wondered if the mom who called the Police on her 12 year old wanted them to shoot her? Now I understand that police don't understand that parents don't have "control" over their adolescents... but on the other hand, many police are about 20 years old and haven't had kids or even lasting relationships... and some of the older ones have instilled discipline with a rather heavy hand. Poor Mom... I wish there WAS a SuperNanny 911. Hmmm. How would you start THAT business without massive liability insurance premiums?!

Has anybody finished Mermaid Chair? The Art of Mending?
I'm about to start Runs with Scissors.....

TPBM mostly reads The Star.
Old 04-15-2005, 07:21 AM   #131  
loves kleenex box art

I read World Weekly News. DS likes to keep up with Batboy.

I have read Runs with Scissors.

Kiw, I can't call the mom because I sort of don't know the girl's name or even if there realllllly is a girl. I should just be happy that he's going. I'll be happy if the tux fits.

My interview is today. Everyone hold your breath.

I also don't know what Motivated Mom (is that the name?) is. Tell us.

TPBM has seen the tv show The Red Dwarf. British I'd guess.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:13 PM   #132  

No I haven't. If it's not on the history channel, I wouldn't see it. DH hogs the remote. Did I tell you the one dwarf guy I went to high school with now works at my grocery store? He talks about his kids and wife who was in the army, who was discharged a couple years ago. I have a strange desire to know if she's "average" height. Not that it matters or is any of my business, it's just one of those things you wonder about when standing in the check out line.

Painty, do you think a good dietician can cure "food insanity". I think that's the disease I have.

I'm not interested in Motivated Mom, as my children are grown, I'm looking for the Adequate Adult group. How about "Able to Drag Your Depressed *ss Outa Bed Group"?

When my DD was in hi skool she went to the prom with her "group" of friends. A group of about 10 kids went together, no particular couples.

I have a candle party to go to tonight. As a general policy, I don't go to parties in which I'm expected to purchase stuff, but my sister is serving chocolate silk pie.

Good luck w/ the interview, Peach. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Old 04-15-2005, 12:36 PM   #133  
loves kleenex box art

Thank you Wabbo. I'm just popping by to let you know that we have a dwarf guy and his first wife was short but but short. His second wife is quite large.

I don't feel well. Must not let this show at interview.
Old 04-15-2005, 05:43 PM   #134  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabby
I'm not interested in Motivated Mom, as my children are grown.
You don't have to have little kids at home, only a few of the chores are about kids.

Here's the MM website

I hope your interview went well, Peachie. Hope it was peachy. And productive. What sort of job is it?

MMM chocolate silk pie. How many weeks' worth of exchanges would that be...? Chocolate should have its own category anyway, as it's obviously beneficial in ways that broccoli is not.

Cornell would be nice. I think it's too far from NYC for DD. I suspect Vassar and Bard are going to be viewed as too far too. I hear Vassar has an absolutely beautiful campus. I'll be taking pictures; I have an extra memory card--I believe I can take almost 300 photos before running out of space.

We were going to tour Emerson, but couldn't get an appt. So we'll just go visit on our own. Might be hard to tell just how odd it is without a tour guide.

ta

Let us know how the interview went, Cowp.

TPBM is jealous of my sunny cool weather.

Kiwi
Old 04-15-2005, 05:53 PM   #135  
loves kleenex box art

The interview went well but it's not over. They are still accepting resumes. It's at the newspaper .. the real one. He said he wanted reporters who will go out and find news. I opened my purse and handed him a flyer I'd picked up about a youth group in the area that's state funded or federaly funded. He said he wanted references if the search points to me. I got back, called people to get their ok and emailed them right back. I am FIGHTING for this job.

DS has been nominated for "prince" of the prom. He has not told me. I called the school to see if someone would help me figure out about this "date." There is no date .. just friends. He will get a medallion for the nomination but will I see it????

Where is my Bagzie???
Closed Thread