Old 04-16-2005, 09:11 AM   #91  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

WOW what a full week this has been! Will spare you the gory details. I'm glad it is over!

Mousie, hope that you are feeling better. I'm glad that you are considering leaving your current school. After all that you've told us.......arghh!

Pam, Hope you don't meet your end due to the debit card! Isn't modern technology wonderful...UNTIL.... I love our "card"....and use it a LOTTTTT! Would be lost without it...and would be devestated if others found it!!

Ginny, I've said it before...and I'll say it again. YOU are a SAINT! There is NOOOOO way that I would do your job. See, I have the responsiblity of dealing with 1 group of 6 and 7 year olds. Yes, I have them for hours....but then I turn them out to go get on a bus......with 49 of their best friends of various ages! Multi age children sitting on bench seats with no restraints...with no direct supervision other than the gal who is driving the bus!...with nothing to do for the duration of their ride BUT see who they can irritate, see what they can cram through the window opening, see what trouble they can create! Do I really need to go on??? Gin, you ARE my hero!

Summer... congratulations! Glad to hear that not only have you lived to reach Spring Break... but that you are doing well in your course work! It is a shame that your professor who is teaching you how to teach (not sure that my comment is accurate, but you KNOW what I mean!) doesn't know how to teach! Keep up the great efforts for bathing suit weather! Enjoy the vacation from school, girl!

Kerry..... are you still with us? Did your dh kill you for your hair clipping session?! I cut my dh's hair only twice. The first time I left it too long. He complained. The 2nd time I made up for the other time. I left it nearly shaved. He complained about that too! When you and Summer have the moon travel "field trip" all figured out, let me know. I WILL be signing at least 2 of my dears up for that adventure. (I actually sent the dynamic duo on an errand JUST to get them out of my room on Friday! They were 7 of the MOST calm minutes in my room all week!)

Paisley.... where are you?

So, I went to the store the other day to buy a pair of shoes for my oldest ds. From the shoe department this blouse was just SCREAMING my name. So. Figuring out a way to rationalize me buying a new Spring blouse was rather easy. I've not had anything new to wear since others gave me $$ for Christmas. So. I thought.....just go look and see how much it is. It was one of the typical of today styled blouses. Collar, button down the front, 3/4 length sleeves. 98% cotton. 2% spandex. Beautiful big 70s style multi colored flowers. Beautiful. $79 SEVENTY NINE DOLLARS 79$. OK. NOW. Even IF my dh was working. EVEN IF I had a wallet that was thick with EXTRA money. EVEN IF I HAD TO WEAR MY BRA ONLY TO WORK........ $79???????
..........Guess I will buy it next year at Kohls for $14.99!!!! Am I alone in my "You've GOT to be kidding" thinking? Am I so pitiful because I have no "taste in clothes"? Actually the blouse IS beautiful. It is that I have no "taste" to spend THAT amount on 1 very trendy shirt. ...and no, I am not certain who's name was on the label. I didn't look at that part....but KNOW that I was in a store to purchase a pair of Vans or NIKEs or Converse shoes for the boy....Guess I better get my pitiful self back into Walmart, huh?!

Enough from me!

take care
~R

Last edited by HatterasMermaid; 04-16-2005 at 09:17 AM.
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:48 AM   #92  
Swimming Mouse

Good morning all.
I volunteered as dispatcher for Red Cross last night.... and had a multi-unit apartment fire at 3:00 a.m. Fortunately, though, the person who is usually my supervisor (the one who can't ever get the schedule straight and all the other crap) was off... the other guy is wonderful. He's got a great sense of humor and his question to me last night when I had trouble finding people was, "Do you want me to go?" and then after that, "What else are YOU going to do?" which is totally how it should be. The other lady absolutely won't let go of any control even though I've been a disaster volunteer longer than she's been paid staff (I start 15 years disaster service in July, 18 years as a Red Cross volunteer...woo hoo!). What's the point of my being dispatcher if I have to shuffle everything off to the paid staff supervisor? There is a reason you have volunteers, and its not just to do the scut work with the rats on a city street at 3:00 a.m.
I also SLEPT last night. In between phone calls, but I really slept. After the last call from the fire, I didn't move until the pager went off again at 10 this morning. I'm going to go take another nap too.
Pam: Don't worry about the pizza. If you won't worry about it, I won't worry about my junk food all week.
Robyn: I am totally with you on the blouse. I flat refuse to buy nice clothing to wear to work because it gets absolutely wrecked. I've had kids draw on the back of my clothing with permanent marker, spill jell-o powder on me, sneeze great globs of stuff on me, throw up on my pants, etc. But beyond that, I just won't spend above a certain amount on clothing. I can't see the point.

Who wants to volunteer to help me pack if I wind up moving back to northern Virginia? Its mostly books.

Anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 08:00 PM   #93  
KAR

Hi Folks,
Yes I am still alive. Just have been busy with trying to straight out some major behavior issues in my classroom and then came home and crashed the last few evenings early. My dh and I took the kids to Micky D's last night and I thought of you Mousie. We came home and then went for a long walk. I was getting my self prepared for the MS walk I did this morning. On the way home last night from our walk, we stopped by the local fire dept. and they gave the kids a quick tour. I must have been getting homesick for my family because I was the one who wanted to walk by the fire dept. on the way home. You see I grew up around the fire dept. in NE Ohio. My dad is the fire chief of my hometown fire dept., my brother and my one sister are also firefighter's. So I guess I just needed to be reminded of my roots a little bit last night. It was so funny. My 7 year-old sds asked the firefighter's where their pole was to slid down. They told him that they didn't have one because their station is only one story high. So he got this funny look on his face and asked where do you sleep than. So we got a tour of their living quarters too. SO I can't wait for them to go visit my family and share their story with them. Today I took my 9 year-old sdd and went on the 3 mile MS walk along a nice bike path along the Hocking River. We had a lovely time. Then we came home, helped my dh make lunch of Hebrew National Hot Dogs and macroni and cheese. We eat lunch and then went to Old Man's Caves to walk around. I think we walked about 6 miles there. So I think I did a fair bit of excerise for today. We ate lunch at our house around 1 and my one sds asked two hours later when we were starting our hike when where we going to eat again. He claims he was starving. He ate 3 hot dogs and a huge serving of marconi and cheese. So we convinced him to go on the hike with us and we ate our picinic lunch as soon as we came up out of the gorge. So I think I will be taking it easy tonight.
Paisley, how are you? Miss ya! Hope all is well with you!
Ginny, bless you dear for putting up with all those lovely little children. I do bus duty in the mornings and see how some of those kids come flying off the bus wound for sound. There was one lady the other day who got off her bus and handed me 6 bus write ups. This lady never writes up any kids and she said she had had it with this bunch. One kid was so bad he got two write ups. So I think we need to start calling you Saint Ginny!
Robyn, are you thawed out yet? It sure got cold here in the evenings and the mornings on bus duty was a little chilly too. But it warmed up to like high 70's during the day. So it made it hard to decided what to wear to school. You are not alone in thinking $79 is a little too much for one blouse. I roared at your Kohl's comment. I have to take my sdd shopping for new summer clothes. She saved her birthday money and wants to go shopping with me. The sweetie pie has $150 saved. So I am trying to think of places that have nice summer clothes for 9 year-old girls that don't make them look like hoochie mamas. Do you ladies have any suggestions?
Pam so how has your eating been so far this weekend? Did you enjoy your day off yesterday? Maybe your ds thought if he cleaned the house and mowed the yard you would get his car fixed for him.
Summer I love your space ship idea. I could take two or three refridgator (spelling error)boxes and I could send my whole class. LOL Hope you enjoy your spring break. I am glad that you are doing so well in your grad class. That sucks about the professor though. I had a professor like that in college. I hated that class because nothing we went over in class was ever on his tests. It was all from the book that we read on our own and held discussions about it before, during and after class with the members in my class. Thanks for mentioning your grad work. I have to do an assignment to get one hour of grad credit for a math inservice I went to in March. It is due on the 20th of this month. So I will be working on that this evening and tomorrow, so I can have some of my coworker's look over it before I turn it in.
Mouse, I am glad that you took yesterday off. I was worried that you might over do it by going back to work yesterday. Sorry to hear that egg head supervisor of your's is being a jerk about your sick leave. I will keep my fingers crossed and keep including in my prayers that you find a job for next school year. I know what you mean about packing books. I have a lot of books and my dh thought it would be a piece of cake to pack my books up when I moved down here to be with him. He thought it would only take him an hour to box up my books. It basically was an all day job.
Well I better go and see if my dh will walk down to the gas station with me and the kids to put air in the tires on our bikes. I hope to take them tomorrow for a short bike ride in the afternoon.
Talk to you all later.
Love ya,
Kerry
KAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 09:19 PM   #94  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Wink

Well, besides my DD's gymnastics class this morning, my day was toooootally wasted. My BIL offered to install a firewall on my computer. He is a computer wiz for a living, and today was kind of like an annual physical for my computer. Well, as generous as he is, and as brilliant as he is, that is how absent-minded he is. I love him, but he spent most of the day at my house checking things and taking things apart while my 3 year old nephew was sort of being entertained by my 7 year old DD. They didn't play very well together because he is a VERY SHELTERED CHILD. He didn't know how to relate to DD (who is gregarious and can play with anyone anywhere.) All his food must be organic, so none of our food or drink was good enough. He is not allowed to watch tv, so when my SIL called to check up on him, she flipped about the tv being on. Normally DD doesn't turn on the tv during playdates, but she got really bored trying to find something her cousin might like to play and just gave up. So after hours and hours of this 3 year old complaining that he was unhappy at our house (a house that most children not only don't want to leave but then beg to be adopted by us...no exaggeration), my BIL found all sorts of problems and ended up not having the necessary items to get the job done. He had to run to Staples for an hour only to find out he still didn't have what he needed. So, he installed Windows XP 2 which I had to monitor for the next couple of hours. Then, he called me and breathed on the other end of the phone while v...e...r...y s...l...o...w progress was made. He told me to call him back later on his cell. When I did, his cell was turned off. I finished the installation on my own and gave up. Here I am after my whole day was wasted. I am surely glad that I have a whole week off, otherwise I'd be pretty pissed. Yes, I am grateful for the help, but come on now.

Kerry, good luck on your paper.
Mouse, It is time to start applying for a new job.
Robyn, Even though I love to spend money, I could never justify a $79 blouse for myself.
Pam, Enjoy the years while your kiddo doesn't care what he wears.
Summerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:27 PM   #95  
In search of my waist

Default Part 1: Me

Ok, 2 part check in. . .my week first, to get it off my chest. This will sound grumpy, and I'm sorry.

Exercise: I didn't exercise each day. I did a little--my ballroom dance class, walking a bit, and last night I went out dancing for hours with friends (7:30-12:30). That was fun! I was out there the whole time. It was GREAT! I got to wear my size 14 jeans. They were a bit tight, but I remember when I couldn't wear them at all!!!

School: the best I can say is that I didn't kill anyone. There is this horrible 1st yr teacher--he thinks he knows everything. The guy is a sexist pig who doesn't try to be a team playerbut the VP loves him. He is disrespectful of other people's ideas--apparently we are there because we couldn't find better jobs, while he's there because he's dedicated. He tells the kids they are failures, not going to graduate, and that he doesn't care about them. . .then says the opposite the next day.

Also, I helped put out a fire on Tuesday this week. someone lit it on the hill by my window. 3rd one I've put out this year.

Personal: I promised my recently ex bf that I'd ship his stuff if he'd send the $ for shipping. . .he wants me to sell his bike, and use that to pay for it. Selling a bike takes a ton of time, and I'm sick of it. Also, he wants EVERYTHING shipped--scratched up pans, dishes that will cost more to send than they're worth, stacks of old magazines he never reads. Ridiculous!

Ok enough of the time consuming yuckiness of my week. . .here's the good stuff:

Weight/Diet: Great! This week I mastered the "eat a good bkfst" thing. It paid off, too. . .no cravings means I'm down to 172.4 lbs!

Did I tell you about the ballet classes/english tutoring? If so, skip this part. I offered to teach ballet classes and all these women jumped at the opportunity! This is the first time since my weight gain that people haven't done a double take when I mention ballet. So in a few months, I'll be teaching dance again. . .I missed it SO much!! Also, the buddhist monk at the temple where I take yoga asked me to tutor him in English, so now I do that. It's fun, and kind of cool to be tutoring a monk.

And this is why I haven't written: another teacher and I are founding an organization (putting together the govt. paperwork now). We're getting teachers' writing published in a local journal--"NHIS in the Face of Restructuring". This is underway now. Next month we're applying for a grant grant to publish a book of writing by the students, teachers, community about the school. I'm meeting with the community leaders Tues, while Kimo talks to the veteran staff (I get the newbies).

The final goal is to develop curriculum and classroom management guidelines (for new teachers) that work with local culture--because so far nothing from the outside has worked, and replace the NCLB external providers with a homegrown organization using local talent, and keeping the money here (and the costs down). This started when we found out the external provider is using $ from the NCLB takeover to buy 3 condos for their staff in a resort near here for $700,000 each. . .condos IN the community are $100,000. It's a pipe dream, but I think it could work.

Last edited by Paisley; 04-16-2005 at 11:28 PM. Reason: typo
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:48 PM   #96  
In search of my waist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatterasMermaid
WOW what a full week this has been! Will spare you the gory details. I'm glad it is over!

$79 SEVENTY NINE DOLLARS 79$. OK. NOW. Even IF my dh was working. EVEN IF I had a wallet that was thick with EXTRA money. EVEN IF I HAD TO WEAR MY BRA ONLY TO WORK........ $79???????
..........Guess I will buy it next year at Kohls for $14.99!!!! Am I alone in my "You've GOT to be kidding" thinking? Am I so pitiful because I have no "taste in clothes"?
RobynThat's insane!!! You are definitely not alone! What's crazy is that you're right--in 6months, that style will be at Kohls or an outlet for $15, and no one will tell the difference between the two. . .oh wait, except the Kohls one will be cheaper and newer. . .and therefore nicer.
We have Ross' here--all the designer stuff for cheap (overstocks). I got two dressy tees last week. It's fun to look at the original prices on those suckers: one was $20. . I got it for $7. The other, I got for $13, and it was originally $88!!! who in their right mind pays $88 for a tee shirt?? so, I'm completely with you on this one!

Mouse: That is SO cool! I didn't know you were a Red Cross Volunteer! Or that you did disaster volunteering!! That's just so amazingly cool! If course, you ARE a teacher, so you're used to dealing with odd situations with a level head. Anyway, good wishes on the potential move.

Summer: Your post reminds me of that "free to be you and me" record when I was a kid (please tell me someone remembers it???). There's a great song on there that goes something like:
Some kind of help is the kind of help that helping's all about.
And some kind of help is the kind of help we all can do without!
It sounds to me like you got the second kind of help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamisuzinc
The thing that really bums me out, is that I cleaned out my closet this weekend and bagged up all the stuff that is too big. I HAVE NOTHING TO WEAR!
Doesn't it feel great to finally go down a pound? Are you still lifting weights? My husband and are I were thinking about starting that regularly. What are you doing for that?
Hey Pam! Hmmm. . .clothes too big, what a WONDERFUL problem to have!!! Congratulations on all those baggy baggy clothes. I would suggest hanging on to 1 of the baggy items. . .to try on when you get frustrated--I have a pair of shorts from when I was my heaviest. They came with me to Hawaii just because it feels good to try them on and see them fall off!

There's a great thread in the ladies who lift forum about starting weight lifting, and it's got links to a great site for getting started: stumptuous.com. I read that, and ended up buying 2 dumbell bars, 4 2.5lb plates, 2 5lb plates, and 4 7.5lb plates for less than $50. Everything but the 5lb plates were in a kit thing from Kmart and were $36. I do the exercises on the site, and I have a tape.

Last edited by Paisley; 04-17-2005 at 12:03 AM. Reason: eliminate redundant posts
Paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2005, 11:58 PM   #97  
Swimming Mouse

Good evening all.
Paisley: I LOVE IT!! Its a fantastic idea, absolutely fantastic! I wish you the best of luck. I've done some grant writing for tiny little grants, and would be happy to help if you want an outside opinion.
Kerry: Hi, there! You were missed! Lots of exercise. We have lots of caves in my hometown area as well... and of course, being a Red Cross disaster volunteer I have spent lots of time in fire stations.
Personally? I've done no exercise in the last week. I didn't get to the gym the 3 days before I got sick, but I did tons of walking around the convention center. I did go to the swim lessons tonight, but my supervisor modified my work: I sat on the deck and guarded. It didn't hurt my sinus infection to sit in a whole room full of humidity either... it did some good.
I also bough chocolate bars for all the staff that covered my class and made nice little cards to go on them. It has a quote on it, and says Thank-You. I printed them on business card stock and taped them on the candy with clear tape.
I was going to do lollipop bouquets, but they take too much time, and I'm still fumbly fingered.
Did I tell you guys that I was asked to write a position paper for the developmental disabilities division??
Old 04-17-2005, 12:43 PM   #98  
burned out bus driver

Just a beautiful Sunday here in NY- so this will be short......

Mouse- another well deserved honor given to you being asked to write the positional paper......which of course still leaves me wondering what your crummy supervisor is thinking (or apparently not thinking) regarding how you are treated. Congrats. And glad you took off Friday too. Hope you can now face this week feeling strong.

Paisley- congrats on the great WI and the size 14 jeans!!!! Great news. And as far as the former Bf......how about paying for a moving to pack and ship the stuff? Guess that is a bad idea, then you still have to sell the bike to pay for that. Well at least now we can see why he is a former Bf.....sorry your students were wacko. Seems to be in t he air these days.

Summer- are you sure your BIL is not my BIL too???? I have had the same mishap- BIL comes over to debug/update/fix/whatever our computer and it ends up more messed up than before. Glad you could keep a good perspective on this though....and things look so much better when you are on spring break. Enjoy your well deserved break!!!!!!!

Kerry- you sure got a lot of activity in!!!! (can't wait to see how that results on your next WI). So you like Hebrew National hot dogs too? (I grew up on them). Hope the rest of your weekend goes well......

Pam- find that debit card???? Do I dare ask about Ds... although at least you got the lawn mowed and some help from him! (could all this cooperation have something to do with a transportation need??? Hmmmmm???)

Dh has been out all weekend with the other woman, who goes by the name of Rawlings, Dunlop or whatever firm makes baseballs and softballs. Yes I have a bad attitude about it today.....so I will comment no more. He has been with one or more of our kids while indulging his passion- so I do know that all is well, but each year his obsession just seems to swallow more and more......and then he comes home and puts a baseball game on TV. Thankfully I have Kay Scarpetta and Marino to keep me amused. And of course all the dumb housework....... I am going to take my bad attitude out of here....will be back tomorrow hopefully in a better frame of mind.
Ginny
ECmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 06:44 PM   #99  
KAR

Hello Ladies,
It is a bright sunny Sunday evening here in Ohio. It was a beautiful day here in Ohio. I got up this morning and rode my excerise bike for a half hour to have some me time before getting the kids up and gettng them ready for church. We walked the block to church and back. Then I changed clothes and started mowing the lawn. Had to push mow to large city lots, since that is what our house sits on. Can't complain much I offered to do it for the excerise. Then I got a shower and put on some cool clean clothes and took the kids on the bike path. We rode about 4 miles round trip. I was suprised we got that far. So now I am resting for the evening. I have been working on my paper off and on since coming back from our bike ride. I am also done with it and then have to type it up. Enough about me.
How is your Sunday going for the rest of you?
Paisley, sounds like you have been busy this past week. Glad to hear that your weight is coming down. Keep up the good work. You will have a better week this week. I kept a dress in a size 24. I get it out every once and a while and put it on. My stepkids laugh and say that is too big on you please take it off now. We don't want you to go out in public like that. LOL :0 So I know the feeling with your pair of shorts.
Pam, hope your eating is going well this week. Did you get rested up for this coming week with your lovley middle schoolers? I think my eating will improve greatly here in the next few days. My sdd got on the scales last night and weighs in at 135 at 9 years old. So I told her that I would help her get some of the weight off. So I started measuring out our portions. I just hope that she takes what she learns from our house and takes it home and does it when she is at her mom's house.
Summer, sorry to hear that your BIL ruined your whole entire Saturday. Are they creating a little monster in their child? I just love it when this sheltered children reach school age and go to public school. It is amazing at what demands the parents have for the teachers and what excuses they will make for their child. Enjoy the rest of your week off. I will be thinking of you when I get up in the mornings to go to school. LOL. No you deserve the time off.
Mouse, sounds like you have a wonderful staff to work with at the pool. Glad that you were able to make it to swimming lessons, even if it was only to sit on the deck and guard. So are you ready for the week to start?
Ginny, my dh is all excited about baseball and softball starting too. It gets on my nerves too at times when that seems to be all we do for the entire Spring season. I did put my foot down last night and tell him that I wanted to go home over Labor Day weekend and attend our county fair. Brad Pasiley is going to be giving a concert that Sunday and I really want to go. So I asked him and he said that pee wee football would be starting around that time and since he is on the Recreation Board for our city he has to be at all the games. It pissed me off and I said fine you stay home and I will go to the concert with my family that weekend. Enjoy your football! Well he said that he guessed they could do without him for one weekend. I said that he was the only member that gave 110% to the board and they would just have to understand since my family lives 4 hours away. Hope you enjoyed your books this afternoon!
Well I better go and finish my assignment. Then I hope to find something to eat after the kids mom picks them up. I am getting really hunger. It must be from mowing the yard and going on the bike ride today. Hope you all have a wonderful start to the work week.
Talk to you all later.
Love ya,
Kerry
KAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2005, 10:41 PM   #100  
Swimming Mouse

Good evening.
I really should be asleep, but I can't. Typical. I really don't want to go to work tomorrow. I don't want to deal with those people. I'm afraid that I'll say something that I'll regret... I'm not pretentious and I don't mince words. I hate having to monitor absolutely everything I say because I don't know who is going to go running to our supervisor. And even when I do monitor very carefully, sometimes people take my words wrong (I see the irony in just about everything!), or people like my team leader twist what I say into the worst possible light. I have watched her do it at staff meetings: she'll sit there and relate information that I've shared with her about a student, and what I told her and what she tells the other staff don't quite jive. They look the same on the surface, but that's it. I'd love to tell my team leader that I know she is the one that reported me to our supervisor for my words last time I was at work. I think she should get counseling because she is having serious issues. Okay, I can't do any of that. I know it. But it makes me feel good to type it.
My new DVD player is now working with the addition of a $20 RF modulator. Seems my 10 year old TV set didn't have the right input/output jacks. Since I have an equally old VCR and don't play video games, I never knew. When I bought the device at BestBuy, the clerk asked me why I didn't consider getting a new TV (they don't work on commission, so I was kinda surprised). I told her that my TV works just fine and I doubt I'll replace it before it dies. Why should I? I have a service contract on the thing that will get me a new TV when it does die... and since HDTVs and such cost over $500, I may as well give the money to the company for the service contract!
I helped do the sign-in for swimming today because I couldn't get in the water, which was a good thing. We have a child who has all kinds of medical issues and developmental delays. He was in a large group, but they're going to move him to the group that I have. His mom & I talked, and she was pretty happy with some of the things that I showed her that I use.
I remember telling the mom when she started listing off all the issues he has (shunt, G-tube, chronic lung disease) and saying, "Oh, he's one of mine. I'm a special ed teacher." I can't imagine doing anything but teaching, and while I'd love to stay where I am, it won't kill me to move. Moving has some advantages: I'll have a choice of working in the summer; I can teach a different class, the same class, do curriculum or something else. I'll have more money... 10 month public school teachers make more than 11.5 month teachers in my school.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:46 AM   #101  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Talking

Well, I am homebound today...my VW is getting a new radio. Sometime over the summer it died but with all our financial troubles the least of my worries was whether or not my radio worked. I made it through the fall listening to CD's and tapes. By the winter, I had had enough. Right around that time, my passenger side window got stuck down and shattered right inside the door. So, when I brought my VW in to fix that they checked the radio. Unfortunately they had none in stock. Apparently they are not allowed to keep radios on the shelves for more than two weeks. Anyway, since then I've been trying to get a new radio only to have someone get the radio they ordered for me before my appointment. It is now mid-April and by some miracle, they had a radio for me!!! No more listening to my DD's Jesse McCartney and Ashlee Simpson CD's!!! Now I get to tune into Radio Disney! Well, at least there is variety.

So, while I am stuck home today sans car, I plan on finishing my unit for my class so I can be done with grad school until the fall. Everything isn't due till May 4th, but I might as well get it done while I have time and open up the next few weekends for myself.

Yesterday I registered for a really fun class...backstory: 20 years ago (it surely doesn't seem that long ago ) I was a paraprofessional in a severe and profound class at Fairfield High School. The teacher I worked with would encourage me to pursue a teaching degree since I was quite capable of handling all sorts of difficult behaviors. She would talk about her favorite professor who was hysterically funny and taught a class entitled, "Enhancement of Learning through Humor." Well after hearing her talk about that professor for 3 years, I always had it in the back of my mind to take this class. Yesterday when I was looking through the course offerings, I couldn't believe that #1 she was still teaching, #2 she was still teaching that course, and #3 there were spots still available. So, I am registered and really excited about it! Cool, huh?

Kerry, I am so impressed by your activity level. You are such a great example and inspiration for me. Thank you. Also, you have given me a different perspective on my nephew. I've worried how he will cope socially with the other kids, but it never occured to me what a burden he and my SIL will be on his teachers. After my DD got bored trying to entertain him, I sat down with him (me, a seasoned preschool teacher) and got really frustrated. He didn't respond to any activity I presented. He lacks basic skills that I took for granted in DD when she was his age and take for granted now in my inner city students. Even they who in many cases are so neglected at home function better as preschoolers. This will be interesting to watch unfold.

Ginny, sorry DH has been bitten and is being sucked in by the sports bug. It is funny but I wish my DH would get bitten. He has however gotten a part time job at the Arena in Bridgeport. The arena is home to the Sound Tigers minor league hockey team and DH is not only a huge hockey fan, he was a former player on a hockey scholarship and coach. The arena also hosts concerts, Disney on Ice, and the circus. So, while he is earning some much-needed extra cash, he is having fun watching the action. The best part is that it gets him out of my house and gives me some peace and quiet.

Paisley, you crack me up. Yes, "some kinds of help is the kind we can all do without!" I LOVE "FREE TO BE YOU AND ME." I have the book autographed by Marlo Thomas and play the tape in school all the time. When I was 9, my 4th grade teacher introduced me to it, and my affection for it has not dwindled one bit. Hopefully my BIL will eventually successfully install my firewall and take care of everything else, and leave his progeny at home with his "crunchy," neurotic mother.

Mouse, If I were you, and I'm not...#1. I would apply everywhere I would be interested in teaching in the fall. #2. I would not speak to another person in that school unless absolutely necessary. #3. I would do my job until it is no longer my job. GOOD LUCK!

Robyn & Pam, how's it hangin'?
Old 04-18-2005, 11:29 AM   #102  
burned out bus driver

Good morning!

Summer- love your advice to Mouse..... and as we all know about her she is a true professional and will rise way above all this nonsense. I love the sound of that class you will be taking- learning thru humor. How neat for you that it is the same teacher- same class and with an opening for you too!!!! Enjoy it! SOunds like something I would love to take too. And enjoy the radio!!! Well deserved if you are transporting kiddies around.

Mouse- hope that DVD player is working just fine now! I am sending some prayers up for you today....hoping that you can get thru all the nonsense and morons ok. You are so in the right field......this is your calling....and you are so qualified... just have to find the right place for you (one that is not disfunctional!). I enjoyed hearing the story about the mom at swimming lessons. (keep that one in your memory bank for crummy days, ok?)

Kerry- you active lady, you! How is your paper coming along? Did you get a wee little bit of rest in too?

Opps....forgot to weigh in on the $79 blouse Robyn found. I would never in a gazillion years spend that kind of $$$ on myself...maybe on someone else and even then it would be unusual. Not on one item. Yup, I'd wait for the sale....or Walmart....Kmart....somebody much cheaper.

A quiet Monday so far. Kiddies were ok. And here I am on auto pilot again.
Sort of talked about the baseball overdose this weekend with Dh, who of course sees no wrong in it, then mentions all the stress he is facing (job is awful) on and on.......so that leaves me back in the role of the crummy enabler....here trying to hold down the fort while he is off doing his thing. Ok, Ginny,just deal with it and move on......just sometimes I get lonely, that is all. and as Mouse said, it just feels good to type out the feelings.

Nuff of me babbling. Gotta go hang up another load of wash and do the kitchen floor before I face the masses again. See ya later.
Ginny
ECmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 05:36 PM   #103  

Hey!
Twenty seven days and counting.......................Pretty good Monday. I got a new student today who seems very smart as well as a smart@#$.
One of my girls doesn't like him already because she is one of my brightest and he was working a little more quickly than her. I said Ewwww a little competition. I had no planning period, I had to cover another teacher's class, and then a parent conference. So, I left school at 4:30. All in all it was an ok day I guess.
I have discovered since reading about everyone's busy schedules that I have no life! Not that I'm complaining mind you, but durn. The most exciting thing I did this weekend was borrow a tiller to till up a spot for my garden. Ha. Ok, let's see, I also, washed clothes.........Hmmmmm.
I am happy to report that eating went well. My goal is to try and lose ten pounds by the last day of school. Is that an unreasonable, unreachable goal? I hope not. I am going to really focus on writing down what I am eating, and leave these little snacky things alone.
MY SON....UGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. He is truly a sloth. I just can't believe that he is unmotivated to do anything. His car is still sitting at his friend's house. He did go visit it today I think. It amazes me how his friends can pick him up to hang out, but geez mom, you can't expect people to just drive me around without me giving them gas money. (To look for a job that is.) I told him I was moving and not leaving a forwarding address.
Ginny: I know how you feel about your hubby. I go through that with college football, and then baseball. Now, he is addicted to this poker thing online. I can barely get on here anymore. He is making me crazy.
Robyn: Yes, I am still alive in spite of the dreaded debit card incident. Hubby says he is getting used to things like that from me. I feel like I am pulled in a zillion directions and my brain has yet to catch up with the rest of me. Oh by the way, THAT 79 DOLLAR SHIRT WOULD STILL BE SITTING ON THE RACK THANK YOU VERY MUCH. That is crazy! Maybe I am just cheap. I was excited to get a complete outfit at walmart capri pants and a shirt for 19.00.
Kerry: Girl where do you get all your energy? I NEED YOU TO LEND ME SOME. My nine year old is as short as he is round. LOL. We have really been trying to help him lose weight without him knowing, or atleast help him not to gain any weight. I need to put him on a rack and stretch him out. He does not have height on his side, gets it from his dad. He weighed 122 I think and now he is around 110. I have been buying healthy snacks and switched to skim milk and all that, and he is doing ok. His friends are all bummed out, cause we don't have "good snacks" anymore. I am hoping now that the weather is warmer, he will be outside playing more. Maybe he'll grow a little taller too. I have a hard time finding clothes for him. Since he is short, I can't find clothes to fit his waist and height. I have to get things altered. I bought him a pair of shorts the other day which he says were really comfie, but they look like capri pants on him. I took them back.
Summer: I too am radioless. My car radio died a couple of months ago, ok let me retract that. I can get one station.........AM TALK RADIO...........
Ok, it's gotten really really old. All the CD's are worn out. I am happy for you. I was thinking of asking my hubby to switch cars with me for a while, thinking that maybe if he had to go without a radio for a while he would be more inclined to get mine fixed.................Maybe soon.
Paisley: Congrats on the size 14 jeans. I was happy to go to walmart and buy size 16/18 shirts and capri pants this weekend. That got me a little more motivated. Now, that I actually wore something that fit me properly, I have gotten a lot of comments today on how much weight I have lost. I am inspired. Good luck with your grant.............
Mouse: Dare I ask how school was today? That is so cool of you to make little tokens to say thanks for people covering your class. You have a lot of class.
Sorry if I missed anybody. I need to go get dinner ready.
Take care!
Pam
pamisuzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 07:01 PM   #104  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Ginny, I have an idea for your lonely weekends. Any chance you might know some other sports widows? If you know of anyone, maybe you could arrange some fun activities with other women and their kids. I have a neighbor (Her DD is the high maintenance child I watch on snow days.) whose DH travels a lot for business and works weird hours...a lot of weekends. She is left to fend for herself. She gets her chores done in the morning and plans activities with other moms and families. Sometimes these things cost money like movies or plays, but many times it is just to fly kites at the beach. She has invited me along, and I've left DH home happily watching sports on tv. Now that he works weekends sometimes, if I'm really lonely or bored, I can count on her to hang out. I really enjoy alone time, but I think it is because my siblings are much older and were married by the time I was seven. So, I require a lot more time to myself than I get. But, I do like to socialize particularly in the beautiful weather. I hope my suggestion helps you.

Pam, don't feel alone. You know how my weekend went...hours of computer repair by my BIL while I watched his overprotected, overindulged, odd child. The rest of my weekend was spent doing school work. So, not everyone is having a fabulous social life!

Today while my VW was getting its radio, I did four hours of grad school work. Yuck!!! But, now I am ready for Wednesday night's class. I was hoping to get ahead, but I believe I sprained my brain .

See ya!
Old 04-18-2005, 09:47 PM   #105  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Hey ya'll! Just running by to tell you that I'm out selling my body in order to purchase that blouse I saw in the store the other day. Glad to know that I'm not the only one who thought that the cost was "a bit" much!

I'm up to my ears...report card time. I've got to get 17 comments done in the next two hours..... wish me luck! On the mark get set .........I'm gone!

take care.... I'll be back once my paperwork is done!
~R....who turns *gasp* 40 on Saturday..... OMMMMMGGGG! :P
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote