Old 02-09-2005, 11:58 AM   #16  
crazy4my6kidz

Post 5 "D's" of Weight Loss

Desire: What exactly do you want?

Defense: Are you prepared for the temptations that are bound to come your way?

Dedication: How hard are you willing to work?

Determination: How long are you willing to keep working?

Decision-Making: Are you willing to take total responsibility for the choices you make?

The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what we want most for what we want in the moment!
gfmomx6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:43 PM   #17  
crazy4my6kidz

Smile Good Morning Chicks!

Good Morning everyone!
Welcome to Mythicgoddess, Christina, Lisa, Stephanie!! So glad you joined us, I hope you come back often. I hope we can get to know and help each other!
Stephanie-I am interested in learning more about blood sugar hunger/carb hunger, I think that is what I am going through? Any information would be very helpful!! Please share with us!!
Carol-Get the whip out! Tell those workers to step on it, you want your house back, you want your office back, you want to dust off your exercise equipment!
Lisa-I know what you mean about not having the knowledge of eating right. This site, and the wonderful people here, gave me the information I needed to lose 37 pounds. It hasn't been easy, but I haven't starved myself like I thought I needed to do. Good luck in this journey!
Christine-You are SO lucky to not have to worry about other people's eating habits while you are trying to get healthy! My kids who are still at home(2-11 years) have grown up with all the junk food we've allowed them to have. Now that we are trying to get everyone to eat healthy, they are going through withdrawals!! They still get some junk, just not so much, so they grumble!
Mythicgoddess-Good job on day 1! Let us know how you are doing. Let us know where you are struggling and maybe we can help you through it!
Well, I've went on and on! Now I have to go clean house Talk to you all later!!
Peace,
Kathy
Old 02-09-2005, 12:54 PM   #18  
No Uno Mas?

Hey Gang,

gfmomx6- thanks for posting the 5 D's. I need to memorize it.

I am doing good. Had more snow yesterday I will be so glad when winter is over. People make fun of me because I don't like the winter..eventhough I've lived in Kansas my whole life I got a beginners yoga tape from the lib. I like to try the tapes and dvd's before I buy them.
Christalynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:58 PM   #19  
Maria-Paz

Default Morning everybody

Well Lent is here again. This year I am keeping my promise NO MORE CHOCOLATE for the next 47 days!
I have been eating barely some sugar, but sometimes I get some chocolate for treats. Not anymore.

I was watching a show in Fit TV "Ten Years Younger" where they choose 5 people who want to lose some amount of weight in 10 weeks and reverse the clock. One of the suggestions is to hang a piece of clothing you want to fit in again and keep it constantly visible. Nedless to say I hang a pair of capri jeans with embroidered hems in the mirror in my room to keep me motivated. I can see the jeans from the stairs even before I enter the room

Well I better hit the treadmill and get that out of the way.

Have a good day gals!
Danicomia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 04:05 PM   #20  

Default not EVERYTHING is bigger in Texas

Hi, all! I am trying to disprove the phrase "Everything's bigger in Texas!" I have been doing Weight Watchers for about a month now. I'm in my fifth week right now. I think I have been tremedously successful considering I have always been notorious for my lack of will-power and my comfort in my own obesity.

I've never even tried dieting until the last year or so because I just didn't care. All of a sudden though I wasn't just voluptious but I was fat and I was not liking that.

I tried low-carb. I tried slim-fast. I admire those who can stick to those diets because I was a train wreck on both. Weight Watchers has been working remarkably well for me. I do the flex points and pour over my books and record every morself I eat. I still love pizza and beer nights (which I haven't entirely done away with, in truth). But I have been able to successfully shed 10 pounds.

I liked this site and was trying to find a thread to join. I thought I would post this and see if it took off at all.

I'm so proud of all you weight losers!
SlimChick80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 04:10 PM   #21  

My name is Michelle. I'm turning 30 at the end of this year, and I just got married a few months ago to a wonderful man. I just found these forums today after stepping on the scale to see a weight I hadn't seen since I was nearly 9 months pregnant. I have plans to go to England for my new sister-in-law's wedding, and I don't want to be the size I was for her wedding that I was for my own.

I have a 7 year old daughter (who acts 17), and I'm working from home now. I moved to a new state to be with my now husband, and his eating habits are totally different from mine. Since moving here about a year and a half ago, I gained back 50 pounds I'd lost a couple of years ago, plus an extra 20 to really make it hurt.

I'm not sure what type of diet I'll be starting yet, but I'm ready to make a serious change.
michellejy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:21 PM   #22  
crazy4my6kidz

Smile More New Chicks!!

Welcome SlimChick80 and Michelle! Glad you joined us! I hope you like it and stick around!
SlimChick80-Great job on the -10#! 5 weeks of staying on a program is good! I know I would start, be good for a week or two, then quit. Then start something else, and on and on........ I have found though that many women have been in the same place It's good to know people who have "been there, done that, still gained 10#"!, but still got up started again, and again, until they found the right way of eating to become healthy.
Michelle-Congrats on your new marriage! It helps to look around the boards here at the different eating plans. Ask any question you want and you'll usually get many helpful answers. There are many different plans to choose from, even just making up your own. That's pretty much what I've done-points, low-fat and somewhat low-carb and some exercise. I will be getting my new treadmill within the next week and I can't wait!!!
Christina-Glad you liked the "D's"! I will be trying to post something "motivational" or just funny, often. I hope everyone else will also post anything they find that would be of interest.
Danicomia- during Lent! I will try not to say the "C" word for 47 days!! My contribution for Lent! I also watch FitTV and Ten Years Younger, I wish I could be on it! I would love to have someone help me out! I say that, but if it came down to it, I don't know if I would want to be on TV in front of everyone while I was doing it! I'm a wimp!
Well, I hope you all come back and we have lots of fun getting to know each other and encouraging each other along the way!!
Peace,
Kathy
Old 02-10-2005, 01:36 AM   #23  

Here I am on day 3 and still kickin'. So far I have avoided burger joints and junk food. What starts me off for the day is a huge fruit smoothie packing all my vitamins and protein for the day. What a great way to start the day with dessert I use to need caffeine to function through out the day but I found a healthier alternative.

The problem I have the most is exercising . I just can't get myself motivated to do it . But I finally found something that I look forward to . They are the Leslie Sansone DVDs. It's something I can do and I actually look forward to doing it at the end of the day and I don't feel like its a chore.

The other problem I have is eating out for lunch . I have a co-worker that we end up treating each other for lunch. One day he would pay and the next I would pay. It started when one spotted the other and we lost track of who owed who. He thinks that he owes me and I think I owe him. So it became a never ending argument with my waisline becoming neverending as well .

Now I bring my own lunch and last week it ended with him paying for lunch . It's been great chating and I'll see you all next time.
mythicgoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 09:56 AM   #24  

Thank you for the welcome, gfmomx6! I have a good feeling about my diet this time.

Mythicgoddess, I am glad to hear such a great recommendation for the Leslie Sansone tapes. I just bought one that is still in its plastic wrapping. I'll have to break that baby open and give it a chance.

I don't have a PlayStation but some of the ladies in my WW meetings have had great exercise results from the interactive game "Dance Dance Revolution." They say it's so much fun, they laugh through their entire workout.

There is no exercise program that I enjoy yet. I need to get moving though or the weight loss will no doubt stop and then I'll be sad.
SlimChick80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 11:07 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmomx6
Stephanie-I am interested in learning more about blood sugar hunger/carb hunger, I think that is what I am going through? Any information would be very helpful!! Please share with us!!
Hi Kathy,

Usually the first symptom experienced by someone whose blood sugar has fallen is this carb hunger. It almost never manifests as a hunger for protein foods. That's because carbohydrates will raise serum glucose more quickly than protein. Your body instinctively "knows" this, and it's a knowledge or awareness that bypasses conscious decision-making processes. You just instinctively reach for carbohydrates.

Unfortunately, this type of hunger only subsides for a short while after eating quick-fix carbs. The typical afternoon ritual of someone with low blood sugar (or reactive hypoglycemia) is to eat simple carbohydrates like breads, desserts, or sugary drinks. A "high" follows in the form of a blood sugar spike: all is well, your mood improves, you're friendly and happy, maybe even acutely alert, aware and efficient in your tasks. (The brain loves sugar.) But 40 to 90 minutes later, a crash inevitably follows, leaving you irritable, weak, and ravenously hungry... again.

It's important to note that blood-sugar induced hunger is not the same thing as normal hunger. As a severe hypoglycemic, I didn't experience normal hunger for years because my blood sugar levels would drop long before my body needed re-fueling. (This is why most hypoglycemics, like me, gain excess weight over time.)

There are two factors that can help you determine if your hunger is normal or blood-sugar induced. 1) Normal hunger generally recurs every 4 to 6 hours, while low-blood-sugar induced hunger can recur as often as every 1 to 2 hours. 2) Normal hunger will cause you to desire a variety of foods and tastes, including those satiated by proteins and vegetables. Blood-sugar induced hunger almost exclusively causes cravings for simple carbohydrates and high glycemic foods like potatoes, breads, and sweets.

I hope that helps! I'm in the process of putting together a website on just these blood sugar issues! I don't want to give the link here, because they have rules against that sort of thing, but I'll send you the link if you're interested.
shaky_lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 11:34 AM   #26  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimChick80
I don't have a PlayStation but some of the ladies in my WW meetings have had great exercise results from the interactive game "Dance Dance Revolution." They say it's so much fun, they laugh through their entire workout.
I bought that DDR game for my daughter, and it definitely gives you a workout. Unfortunately, I can't do it because it involves a lot of jumping which is too hard on my knees. It's still a fun game to play with though. I laugh for hours after seeing my husband do it
Old 02-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #27  

Hi everyone, I'm new here and not sure what to do.....but here goes. I am probably at my most right now at 240. It seems I woke up and bam!! I know it was gradual but gradual enough for me to not really pay attention until recently. I know I'm doing something right if I'm trying now.
losin_soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 01:35 PM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by losin_soon
Hi everyone, I'm new here and not sure what to do.....but here goes. I am probably at my most right now at 240. It seems I woke up and bam!! I know it was gradual but gradual enough for me to not really pay attention until recently. I know I'm doing something right if I'm trying now.
I just joined too, and it looks like we have about the same goal. I'm not sure what program I'll be using (Weight Watchers or trying to do something on my own), but I wouldn't mind buddying up with someone to keep me motivated.
Old 02-11-2005, 01:32 AM   #29  

I'm new and thought I'd introduce myself.
I'm Ricki, I'll be 31 in March. I've been married almost 7 1/2 years. After a two year struggle with infertility due to PCOS, I have a son, Hunter who will be 16 months old Feb 19 2005.
While I was trying to get pregnant, I gained quite a bit of weight, and I went up to 246 at 9 months pregnant. I have gotten down to my current weight of 218.
At the moment I'm not totally committed to losing weight, though I am slowly getting there. I am trying to make some healthy changes, such as watching portion sizes, and I've almost completely cut out soda-I drink soda only when we eat out-and I only drink water the rest of the time. I'm trying to make myself get more active-I'd like to be able to play with my son for longer than 5 minutes without getting winded! I don't want to be the "fat mom" when he starts school in a few years. Also, I want to start trying for another baby in the next year or so, but I don't want to go through another pregnancy this heavy.
I haven't been able to make myself really go for it, commit to really losing the weight-but just reading the posts here and seeing the sucess everyone is having...well, I want to see MY ticker move too, darnit! LOL I really think the support and the sucess stories here will help me get in gear.
usmcwife1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 05:45 PM   #30  
crazy4my6kidz

Default Be A Loser!

Researchers continually try to answer the question: "Why do some people
succeed at slimming down for good, while others don't?" The answer may lie
in a government database, one researcher says. After analyzing information
about the weight-loss journey of over 3,000 Americans, Rena Wing, Ph.D.,
discovered four common characteristics among those who took off weight and
kept it off:
A low-calorie, low-fat diet
Frequent weigh-ins
An energetic lifestyle that includes at least an hour of activity per day
Eating breakfast every morning
Wing speculates that those who continued to eat healthy and stay active
after reaching their weight goal understood that weight management isn't
just about going on a diet - it's about changing your lifestyle for good.

Checking in with the scale regularly seemed to help prevent weight-regain by
keeping weight managers on track, Wing adds. Dieters were able to take
action when they saw the scale's needle climb. Finally, those who ate
breakfast avoided the common "starve yourself in the morning and then
overeat at night" trend. So go ahead - adopt these four habits and become a
weight loser yourself!