3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   Battle of the Bulge #9 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/52352-battle-bulge-9-a.html)

Crime girl 01-23-2005 08:38 AM

Battle of the Bulge #9

Here is the new thread...enjoy!

Just a reminder- today is weigh in day.

Also-

Monday- support day and a good day for tips on staying motivated

Tuesday- support day and a good day for reasons why we want to lose- I think that keeps us motivated more than anything when we reexamine why we want to lose..

Wednesday- "what have I been eating all week day" and I want to start trying to get everyone to share quick recipes or tips on cooking that work for them.

Thursday- "what I have done to move my bootie day" and I want to get everyone to start giving us an idea on how they work exercise into their lives and the things they enjoy doing.

Friday- support and influence day- lets make this a day we talk about anything or anyone that influenced our weight loss for the week- things like friends giving bad foods or a partner that supported our efforts.

Saturday- recap day- lets talk about the things we thought worked for us for the week and those that didn't- this might help us see where we strayed and where we stood firm.

Sunday- weigh in day and reaffirm goal day- give us an idea of your goals for the week, month, and long term.

Have a great day everyone!

little grasshopper 01-23-2005 09:55 AM

Yeah - new week!! :) uh oh, monday is just around the corner...or in red's case - right at the door....

Crime girl - I'm so sorry about your accident! I can understand the rift between you and your brother. Mine blames himself for a bit of my injuries because he was asleep behind me and wasn't seat belted either. He hit my seat and broke it off it's track. I went through the windshield too but with the top of my head. I broke the dash board first with my forehead, and that snapped it downward so it was the top that broke the window. They wanted to do all kinds of surgeries right afterwards but my mom was scared and everyone she turned to for advice was in the car with us....so she stalled and it saved me a lot of problems in the long run.

Red - to answer your questions...my mom broke all of the joints between her hand and fingers. She was gripping the stearing wheel, trying to not run us under the bus. Her hands were swelling really quickly - that's why she was trying to take my rings off. As for the time line - I know it's screwy. I couldn't testify at all in the trial because of how messed up my memories are of the wreck. So my mom broke her hand, my grandmother cut her head really badly but she was rushed to the hospital because she started having trouble breathing...turned out she was in shock. My brother banged his leg up pretty badly under my seat but his biggest problem was waking up to a wreck like that - he was 10 at the time and was a HUGE kid! Still is a big guy. I had the only door that worked but all the windows were busted out - he got out his window and was running for the bus driver trying to get him to help us. The bus driver was scared of my brother (and probably in shock) so he wouldn't open the door. So my poor brother was 10 and alone with all of us looking really hurt and not able to get us out of the car. He has a lot of issues about driving and riding in cars and will probably never sleep in one again!

I had an engine in my lap too, so my modeling legs are gone :) (I do remember the doctor telling me that....but only because I had an aunt standing at my head in the ER - she was crying and dropping tears in my face - CONSTANTLY. It was really pissing me off at the time because I didn't have any idea who this woman was!). It took me a vew days to straighten that kind of stuff out. I knew some people but not others. I got most of that stuff back but did have a bit of lasting damage. Balance, coordination, long term memory, following lines - like a flow chart. I do memory puzzles and games a lot to try to get it back. But I'm still the worst in a group when they do games like that....you know - call out 10 numbers and then write down as many as you can remember - I never get more than 3. I'm working on it through.

I have a wonderful life - with or without the wreck. it's just a big hicup and and did alter the course of my life....That's why the detox stuff is so important to me. It helps my brain and it helps the pain too. Makes me normal :)

okay, enough of the book - I am the one NOT trying to write one ;) Look how well I'm not doing :) :)

stormy1 01-23-2005 11:24 AM

Hi everyone! Wow, you guys have been getting pretty deep in here!

Well I made it home finally! We had class Friday and on Saturday we had our first class from 8-10, however the rest of our classes were cancelled b/c of the weather. There was so much snow. Over 12 inches from Friday night into Saturday. There were blizzard like conditions in Michigan and Northern Ohio. So since class was cancelled I decided that I would try to get a flight out. I went to the airport which is about 2 hours southeast of where I go to school. The weather there was snowy but not that bad. Well I ended up spending about 10 hours at the airport. At first I thought it wouldn't be bad. Hey, I could study right? Wrong!Well I could not find a quite place anywhere. Flights were being diverted from everywhere, flights were cancelled, people were stranded, people were upset, it was noisey.... My flight kept being delayed. I was finally able to fly out about 10:00 last night. I am so glad to be home. Atleast it is in the 20s here. At school it was below 0 with the windchill. CG, you are so lucky to be in Florida. I know that you would like to be some place else, but it always looks greener on the other side, right?

CG, how is school going? I am glad that you have been doing that x box thing. Keep it up. Maya may be hard, but just think what a great bod you will have!

Red, hi! Do not be discouraged about the scale. It will come. You need to really try to change the eating though, b/c you do not want to add fat on top of that muscle you are gaining. It is so hard to pass that chocolate, sugar etc up. Maybe try doing a free day thing where you can eat whatever you want. Just remember you are making progress. You are getting back into your workout routine which is great! Also you are passing up the beer! That is mucho empty calories. No matter what you are doing better that a month ago. I am very proud of you!

GH, hitting that wine, huh? It is nice to do that sometimes. I thought about it yesterday when I was stuck at the airport. I had several free drink coupons. However, it is no fun drinking alone. You are so lucky that you lived through that accident. You should look at each day as a blessing b/c you are truly blessed to be alive! So is the snow over or is the stuff that TN has had is heading your way? You may have to work out at home for a while.

Well I have not worked out in two days. I had my cheat day yesterday. I was planning on getting back on track today, but I am in major pain. My left knee has always given me problems. My ligaments are very hypermobile as I have told you all in the past. In class Friday we did a lot of techniques that kind of aggervated my knee. Since I started taking glucosamine several months ago I have not had any problems. I bought a different brand a couple of weeks ago and that may have something to do with it. I am in major pain today. I did an ultrasound this AM to try to relieve some of the pain and I have a thermacare heat wrap on it now. I am hoping the pain will go away soon so I can workout tonight.

I know today is weigh in day, but I am very fearful. I guess I will breakdown and weigh before the day is through and give you an update CG.

CG and KJK, I need an update from you both. There has not been much reporting on the points. You guys are still working on this right???

stormy1 01-23-2005 01:20 PM

Ok, this is not good. I am up a pound too. Oh well....

stormy1 01-23-2005 01:26 PM

NBK, I am sorry to hear about your hair pulling. I thought that you might find this interesting. There is a condition called:trichotillomania
According to www. trich.org Trichotillomania (TTM) is an impulse disorder that causes people to pull out the hair from their scalp, eyelashes, eyebrows, or other parts of the body, resulting in noticeable bald patches. It is currently defined as an impulse-control disorder, but there are still questions about how it should be classified. It may seem, at times, to resemble a habit, an addiction, a tic disorder or an obsessive-compulsive disorder. It is estimated to affect one to two percent of the population, or four to eleven million Americans.

Look under any internet search engine and type it in to learn more about it. I hope this helps a little.

HAL123 01-23-2005 02:52 PM

HI Guys! Looks like I have lots to catch up on. I had a good weekend. Just got to pop out to a wellsite to check on what's happening with my equipment. but when I get back in I'll be due a break and hopefully can catch up then (if there isn't a posting flurry in the next hour or so!)
Cheers
Tiff

redballoon 01-23-2005 04:37 PM

monday morning . . .

Good morning, people. Try to get a quick one out here before I get swamped under posts.

Crime girl -- I miss my horoscope!! Had to watch the one on TV and it wasn't good. Oh well. I'm not really as bothered by it as I make out to be. I'm just kind of kidding. I am so stubborn and contrary (that's what people say) that I think perhaps a bad horoscope will make me turn the day around just to spite it! No, really, I just need kind and encouraging words to offset all the things I worry about and dread during the day.

Thank you for the lengthy explanation of your accident, its aftermath and how you were affected. Your friend who protected you at school afterward is truly a friend. What a guy. I think I would have married him. That's so sad about your brother blaming himself. Does he still have a drinking problem? I'm glad you're getting to be close again.

little grasshopper -- to you too, thank you for the further explanation of what happened to you in the accident. Really, the more I hear, the more it sounds like it is incredible you got through that alive. Your poor little brother. The feeling of helplessness he must have gone through. And what foresight your mother had to know to take off the rings. Now I understand. You've had to work so hard after that and I suppose a lot of things you'll never know if it was because of the accident or not. As for puzzles, I don't think I would do any better and I never had such a blow to the head as you (although I got a lot of whacks and boxed ears from my father!)

stormy -- welcome back!! glad to hear you finally were able to get home. The airport sounds horrible. I would have been sorely tempted to indulge in the drinks but like you said, it's no fun alone and besides, if you had, you may still be sitting (or lying) in the airport (if you're anything like me! :lol:

Yes, I know about the scale and I honestly do want to get the fat off but I seem to truly be stuck in bad habits. They seem to be my only solace when I am rushing from place to place and trying to fit everything in. There is no time to prepare food it seems and it certainly is not something I enjoy doing. Then I reach for whatever is there and that is always processed carbs and sugar, the worst things. Yesterday, however, I did take an apple with me, cut up in a ziploc bag. That was a very good thing. But now I'm thinking I didn't buy any apples and the stores won't be open till after I need it. . .I have too many things in my life and it seems nothing is working FOR me. I will just have to become even more vigilant.

You too, sorry to hear you gained a pound. Still, a pound could be anything, water weight or so, so don't worry. Consider it having maintained your weight. You know you haven't been able to work out. Besides, all that sitting around in the airport and all will surely have you a bit puffy. Let's both try for a loss this week!

NBK -- welcome back to you too! Looking forward to hearing how you are doing.

Ok, people, got to run. KJK, where are you? Michi? Jacque? :?: We want to hear from you!! :sunny:

little grasshopper 01-23-2005 04:41 PM

Hi everyone! Welcome home Stormy!!! Sorry you had to miss class - I'm sure they'll throw a makeup weekend in there somewhere :( I once got stuck at an airport in Atlanta with a WHOLE GROUP of highschool cheerleaders. They were on their way to a tournament or something and they just kept cheering and cheering - they were driving all the adults crazy!!! Now, it's funny when I look back on it though :) I hope you're knee is doing better soon - I'm glad you have all the ultra sound equipment to use! And switch back to the old vitamin. I'm sure you knwo different each pill company is!

Red - don't worry, I'm the lush, not you :) I have not had a drink in so long that it takes nothing to get me tipsy! I have got to cheat a bit this week. If not I'll be sick the whole time I'm on vacation....I don't want my body going into too much of a shock :) I've been pretty good though...controled cheating. I'm not eating straight up sugar or dairy or other grains but I am having meats that I wouldn't normally have, seasonings and potatoes and stuff like that - I had eggs for breakfast. I'm enjoying myself for now. BUT I did make an appointment with the doc as soon as I return so that I have no choice but to get back on track!

okay, I have to go grocery shopping.

I think the wine dehydrated me a bit. This morning I was 135. I'm sure i'll be right back to 140 by tomorrow :) Especially with the cheating.....this week and next will just have to be off program. I will be good for health sake but my grandmother cooks to tell you she loves you and she only knows one way to cook - lots of yummy, fattening stuff. :) I'll try to get salads in though.

time for grocery shopping - see you guys soon!

redballoon 01-23-2005 04:46 PM

Hi grasshopper!! Heh, don't knock it. Maybe the drop in weight wasnn't the wine. Take it while you can!! :spin:

HAL123 01-23-2005 05:09 PM

Ok here goes. Doing a bit of stealth mission... anyway

Red & CG & Stormy- thanks for your concern. I just get really tense sometimes and the plucking takes my conscious mind of my issues and lets me relax in a way. It's not impulsive or compulsive as such, and I haven't ever given myself bald patches! he eh but no worries.

The clothes thing makes it sound like he can't dress himself.. which is far from the case.he is a very snappy dresser and often picks out pretty cool stuff for me too when we go shopping - I get sick of shopping LONG before he does. So it was more of a suprise that he had a dud outfit on that made me say something. But yeah engage brain before mouth is something I am trying to do.. also works with appetite control! damn it..

LGH- Lollies are sweets or candy. Sorry most of the time I do try to translate my posts into "american" but from time to time I will slip and talk in Kiwi! he he..

My weekend was awesome. I got a gas bottle for my free bbq so i could use it finally! so I had healthy bbq's on friday and sat nights! WOO HOO. On friday I took the afternoon off to spend some QT with my boy as I knew we wouldn't really get a chance to talk until sunday otherwise - he has his daughter on saturdays. Anyway it was such a good move to make. We talked about what had pissed him off and then made up, and went for a beautiful walk in the sun up one of the river tracks that goes through our town. It was cool as he showed me all the swimming holes he used to take his dog to. We went for a swim too, it was cold but so nice to just be so carefree! I love swimming in the river or sea. so much better than in the pool. Anyway on saturday I went down to the beach for a swim and bumped into him and his daughter and he was comfortable enough that I hung out with them the rest of the afternoon. I tell you what 6 year olds especially really intelligent ones are hard work! he he.. sunday we went to the beach and also played a bit of golf, well I played swing and miss, and he played golf! I actually did improve a bit, so who knows, maybe I'll be the next tigress woods! lol..Food was ok until last night when I ate two HUGE as bananas for dessert. This is really amusing me the fact I can feel as bloated on healthy food as I can on McD's!

Anyway I wanted to say, that I have read the stories that everyone has related on this board about their own personal tragedies, and what blows me away the most is not the horror and severity of what has happened to you all or the losses you have incurred, but the fact that all of you have gotten back up and got on with your life and not let it hold you back at all! i am incredibly inspired by the way you all make things happen for yourselves. so many people let lesser things hold them back and prevent them from really living! You are just all amazing! Thank you for letting me get to know you.

Hugs
Tiffany

kjk123 01-23-2005 06:01 PM

Hi all....

Not much to post lately. I am up 1.5 pounds, trying not to make a big deal of it. I haven't exercised since Wednesday and I haven't really been eating all that well. So that sums things up in a nutshell.

Stormy, I really don't know where I am in my points. I think that CG is probably kicking my lazy *** (pardon my language). I'm trying to get motivated again, but I just don't think I can do it.....

Sorry ladies, gotta run, we're watching the football game. Hope you are all doing well on your journeys.....

Kelly

little grasshopper 01-23-2005 07:49 PM

NBK - you're too sweet. Your weekend sounds wonderful - especially the swim :) I live near a lake but it's WAY too cold to think of swimming in it right now :) I grew up by the ocean and I really miss it sometimes. I'm so glad we moved near this lake - I feel at home near water...at peace some how. I'm still eternally jealous of your country though :) :)

kjk - this is about life. I hope you read this! You're going to have times when you'd rather slap us each individually, than eat healthy or exercise. It's just going to be like that. Take a break, fine, but stay on the board...reach journals, watch inspirational stories, read fitness magazines and find the will again. It's in you - I promise!!! We all take breaks - each of us. We know you can do it, when you're ready to. And we're here for you either way. Stay with us and talk to us. We won't make you do anything you don't want to :)

stormy1 01-23-2005 08:22 PM

Hi everyone.

KJK, do not be so hard on yourself. You can do this. You were doing great...everyone has set backs and that is okay. Stay with us!

Little Gh, when do you go to Arkansas? BTW an airport full of cheerleaders would have drove me nuts!

NBK, I am glad that you had a wonderful weekend. Just be careful with the plucking!

Red, we will lose this week! Try cutting up carrots, apples, etc and put them in zippies. I do this on Sunday. It takes time but it will provide healthy snacks for you all week.

Crime girl 01-23-2005 10:52 PM

Good night!

Sorry I haven't written a lot today but I got a lot of work done and am almost caught up with school work. Feels good to get things done.

As for my weight today-I don't even want to say because it has shot up SO MUCH- I am going to try to concentrate on getting back on track and less about my weight. If I concentrate on all that weight gain I am going to freak. :dizzy:

little grasshopper- You went through so much with your accident. Wow- much harder experience than me and for that I am sorry you had to go through it. Sounds like it was chaos for awhile and I can now see why you are on the program that you are on if it helps recovery from this accident. I am glad you were not hurt worse and I think it is a blessing that you can't remember every detail.
Congrats on the weight loss and I am sure it is not all due to the wine. :bravo:

red balloon- sorry about missing the horoscope- I will do better tomorrow. :^:
As for the effects of the wreck- I did end up dating that guy and to this day my mom talks about him like he is a saint. The funny thing is he was always the "bad boy" in school- getting into trouble- raising ****. When it came to me though he was a sweetheart and was kind. People use to kid him about it. :lol:
My brother joined AA years ago and is doing much better although we have never talked about the accident. He has healed I think and in some ways his injuries were worse than mine. Physical injuries tend to heal most of the time but emotional ones can be hard to fix.

stormy- glad you are back from school despite the delay! How did things go for you? Are you hanging in there?
I am sorry your knee is causing you pain- get some of the good meds woman! Take care of yourself!
I am not sure about my challenge numbers- I think maybe kjk and I should start this back up on Valentine's Day?? :D
Don't sweat the pound-you know how scales are- tomorrow could mean a shift the other way of a pound. Just keep fighting the good fight and the rest will take of itself.

NBK- Sounds like you had a great weekend- I am happy for you. :D
Be careful with the plucking thing and make sure it doesn't escalate or become a problem in itself. Ask for help if you need it- we are here for you.

Things with your boy sound better so that is wonderful news. Have fun with him while he is home and try to not spend very much time at odds or I fear you will regret it.

I have decided I am stealing you term "lollies" for my own use- I will treasure it with "chan" and it will provide much fun for me. I love to try to use colorful expressions and such in my speech. :lol:

Thanks for the kind words about recovery after the accident- I have to admit though that it sounds more inspiring than it was. I was not brave I am ashamed to say. It was a hard thing for me and for awhile after I would have been injured and bitter for anyone saying it had its silver lining as well. I guess healing takes time and after awhile you can look back and see that it was as little grasshopper says a hiccup on the road of a long life. I think the biggest thing I learned from any tragedy in my life is that we are blessed for every single minute we are allowed to live.

kjk- Dont worry too much. I assure you I am NOT kicking your butt. I have gained SO much weight back and I can't seem to get with the program and stop eating. What the **** is the matter with me?? I exercise sporadically and eat like I am young and carefree- calories don't matter and I can eat anything I want. Yuck! Disgusted with myself.
Don't give up though! You can do it!

Okay my friends- thanks for all the support and for listening to all my blubbering! This board has made a profound change in my life and I want to let you all know I appreciate all you do to make my life better. ;)

Have a wonderful night everyone! Sleep pretty and have glorious dreams of half naked...wait that is probably just me , right? Okay more G rated- have great dreams of being healthy and fit and being served by half naked..wait...down that road again...eh...okay have pleasant dreams.

Good night!

stormy1 01-24-2005 12:34 AM

CG-you were in an accident too. I just reread the posts. You too are so lucky! Glad you are caught up with school. I am not anywhere close. I tried to cut back my hours at work but I guess they did not get it. I have a full load this week. Why can't we have more hours in a day. I guess if we did we would just find ways to fill them up and I bet it wouldn't be with rest.

CG and KJK, do not put off this challenge. Both of you need to get your butts back on track. You can both do it. Do not let a few set backs mess you up. Just jump right back on it!

Well I did not exercise again today. My knee is a little better. I was going to do upper body weights but I just felt too tired. I did a little school work, went grocery shopping, but manily just layed around. Day 3 without exercise. I did fine with eating. I WILL get back to exercise Monday after work! I promise!