Old 12-23-2004, 08:24 AM   #1  
GmaTo8

Thumbs up Weight Loss Talk #1

Hi Ladies!

Want to talk about your struggles and successes with weight loss? With a new year fast approaching, there's no better time to start a thread just for that. Let us know what program you are following, even if it's your own, and how you're doing

Next June you'll wish you started today.
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 08:35 AM   #2  
GmaTo8

Well, it may be too hard to think of losing over Christmas and New Year's, but we need to have our plans in place!

Pam - Your weight loss to date is great! But Cristi made a very valid point on the Bio thread. At your height and weight, I would think you'd lose easily on 1500 calories a day. Your body may go into starvation mode eating only 800 -1000 calories a day. Since I am not a doctor or a nutritionist, I advise you to call your own health provider and see what she has to say about it. Once again, welcome to the Jaded Ladies!

Well, I was up a pound on the scale today, so will be cutting back a little today. Didn't get the water in yesterday and I know that's one factor. Extra munchies is the other, lol. The issues of maintenance are so much like those of losing, lol. But I am willing to do this for the rest of my life in order to never reach my high weight again!

What are some of your weight loss concerns?
Old 12-23-2004, 09:11 AM   #3  
RosieKate

I caught myself today looking at Jenny Craig and Nutrisystem online......I guess I am feeling a strong desire to turn this struggle over to someone other than myself. sigh. I've been maintaining well enough through the holidays, but need a kick in the pants. BTW - I am not going to do the online stuff... it's just too expensive and I think I would be doing it for the wrong reasons.

Reading Thin for LIfe was a real encouragement and I may go out and purchase it to have on hand. It just really helped affirm that successfull weight loss can happen in many ways, I just need to find what's going to work for me.

Right now, to get through the holidays, I am counting calories. I keep a piece of paper on the fridge and keep a running total through the day. Trying to hover around 1500 cals a day. On that piece of paper I wrote a goal for the week: this week its' NO BLTs ( bites, licks, and tastes) I am also going to set a 10 lb reward for myself. I think its going to be a pedicure, maybe another massage. I'll figure it out. trying to keep it simple for now....

I'm so glad all the JLs are here - I really appreciate the support

Cheers
Old 12-23-2004, 12:17 PM   #4  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Great thread Jane

I haven't done much in the way of weight loss but after the holidays that will change. I am fortunate that I haven't gained so I guess I have kind of been keeping an eye on it. I have checked into Atkins and just don't feel like it is something I want to do, DH either. So we are going to get back on track with WW. Although, I like the idea of being able to eat what you want sometimes for me that is a bad thing. I just need to stick to the points and I will be fine. Like Katy-I too need a kick in the pants-a swift kick! I do know that I can't continue the way I have and I don't want to be stuck at this weight for the rest of my life.

Already getting some goals set for myself which are very doable. I am also going to buy Dr. Phils WL Challenge on CD and listen to while walking.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 01:54 PM   #5  

Height: 5'1"

This IS a great thread!

I've been thinking over the last week or so about what I'm going to do this time that will make a difference. I even mentally went over everything that has worked for me in the past and then asked myself WHY didn't it work to where I stuck with it.
So now it's time to put all those thoughts onto paper. SEEING it all will really put it into perspective for me and let me see what was the one thing that caused me to stop doing what was working so well.
I honestly don't have a plan in mind right now, except to work out more. Being more active will be the biggest thing for me. Since Sony......going to the gym has been a thing of the past.

Time to change that and get healthy for my future.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 07:55 PM   #6  
PamPSM644

Thank you for the concern Jane and everyone. I saw my doc last month and told them what I was doing and they didn't express any concern only glad I'd dropped the weight. I take vitamons and calcium and If I've been very good at the end of the week I may treat myself to a burger with fries or some pizza.Sometimes even a great big chocolate shake. I don't believe in making my diet a torture. The cals I do eat are ones I like,I also reward myself at the end of the day.If I stay with in my limits I get some cookies or a low fat fudge bar.I keep a journal listing all my cals for the day and if I walked.I try to make my diet interesting so I don't get bored or discouraged. After all half our battle is in our minds isn't it? :sman:
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 05:12 AM   #7  
GmaTo8

Katy - yep, those BLTs will get ya! I used to lose weight counting calories, and recommend it as long as you focus on healthy foods, which I know you will.

Cristi - I can't tell you how happy I am that you'll be doing WW!! Will you go to meetings or doing it at home? My trick with being able to eat "anything" is that for trigger foods, I only buy little bits at a time. If it isn't here, I can't eat it, lol. Not only that, but before long, you just don't crave it as much anymore. I never thought I'd say that about pizza, Doritos, etc, but it's true. The thing Dr. Phil said that got to me was basically "either you want this, or you don't". Not his exact words, but close. I decided I wanted it!!

Marti - good idea to put it all on paper where it's clear and to the point. If you haven't read Dr. Phil's book, you might want to. I don't agree with all of it, but he sure makes you think!

Pam - yep, once I made up my mind - that was it! Glad your program is working for you. I forgot - how much more do you have to lose? I wanted to lose 100 -120, but my face is falling, lol, so that's why I'm in maintenance now.

Well, ladies, although I plan to have a nice Christmas dinner, I do not plan to pig out. I've worked too hard to get where I am, and although I teased about needing a nap after Christmas dinner, I really don't think I'll do that badly....

Have a merry christmas, and I talk to you on Sunday.

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail....
Old 12-24-2004, 10:41 AM   #8  
PamPSM644

I think I have 70 more to go. For a person who's 5'10' I'm suppose to weight around 150.My son is so happy about how much I've lost. He;'s very good about not eating around me or asking me to cook fatty type food for him.When I first announced I was going on a diet he wanted to help motivate me so he said he'd buy me a nice newer car if I could lose 75lbs.When I reached 60 he was surprised and proud of me."Boy",he exclaimed with a twinkle in his eye,"You sure want that 78 pinto."God,I love this boy.(man to others)
PamPSM644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 05:43 AM   #9  
GmaTo8

Something strange has happened to my taste buds - they don't seem to care that much for the old holiday standbys. I had told myself that I would indulge a little for Christmas Eve, but the sweets and desserts just don't have the same taste to me! They taste good - but not "oh so de-lish" the way I thought they would. This morning I'm craving my graham crackers w/peanut butter and an orange, lol. Yesterday's meal was the real challenge and I made it through! It's been 11 months since I started WW, and I think that way of eating is truly a part of my life now. What a blessing!

It's all quiet at my house - just waiting for the rest of the family to get up....
Merry Christmas to you and yours!
Old 12-27-2004, 02:55 PM   #10  
One day at a time

Well I am a little bummed because I was at least maintaining and weighed this morning and I gained two pounds! I haven't weighed in a while and I probably should have been once a week to stay on top of it more. Not to worry tho...my Jan. 1 started today. I won't actually start WW till Jan. 1 but for now I am watching what I eat. Gotta get those two pounds off. I didn't think I did so bad as I didn't eat much but it was all those BLT's that got me I suppose. I was munching while I was cooking so when it was done I wasn't hungry-darn...Oh well, I know what I have to do now and I am making some menus to get started Monday. Ready to do this!

Jane~for now we will be doing WW at home. I would like to attend the meetings but we are cutting back on the spending. I know that that cost is for a good reason but it gets costly both of us going. But if it comes down to it we may go if we feel we have to. Isn't it funny how your taste buds change? I am looking forward to that. I have pulled out Dr. Phil's book and am rereading it-hoping something will hit me this time that maybe I possible missed. I do plan on getting the CD so that he can kick me in the butt. It does more for me when I hear him than just reading the book I think. I just know I am sick and tired of being sick and tired. Don't want to be this fat anymore. I am glad you are doing so well maintaining and have done well with the losing. to you!
Old 12-27-2004, 03:27 PM   #11  
GmaTo8

Cristi - well, it could've been a lot worse than 2 pounds! Thank you for your kind words. I truly was amazed that the fudge, etc. just didn't taste the same to me. (The cherry delight was still awfully good, though!) The same thing happened at Easter, if you remember. I just know you're going to love WW! And yes, having Dr. Phil's voice in your ear should be very motivating, lol.

I made a pot of WW veggie soup today since I've sort of had the munchies. It is 0 points, except for the crackers I add, which adds 1 point per bowl. I mentioned on the chit chat site that I got rid of all the desserts - I do love the cherry delight! But I know from past experience that I just can't have stuff like that in the house. Nobody who lives here needs it, anyway, lol.

I've been slacking off on the exercise, and need to get back into the swing of that....

How's everyone else doing?
Old 12-27-2004, 04:45 PM   #12  

Height: 5'1"

Well lets see. I can feel that my body has gained weight or the weight has shifted a bit. I finally faced the scale this morning and I only gained 2lbs. since the last time I weighed in...which isn't too bad!!

I got a compliment last night from a friend who told me that I look like I've lost weight (which has me wondering if the weight is just shifting around! ) and I told her no......I'm sure I've gained. It's not like I'm pigging out on food...its just my choices of what I eat.

I plan on cutting back on some of the "naughty" foods and bringing back more veggies and definately more water. It seems that the more water I drink the more I want it. And that REALLY helps my weightloss efforts.

I was wanting to join in on the gym membership w/James but now....with the car episode...I really need to cut my spending and try and save. So I'm just going to have to make myself figure out a workout routine here at home. I'll benefit w/saving money and toning up the body......So I know I need to do it.

time for me to change my tracker!
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 07:22 AM   #13  
GmaTo8

Pam - I forgot to mention - that's way too funny about the 78 Pinto, My DH is in the same position, sort of. Now that I've lost so much, I need all new everything! I've got enough for winter. Not an abundance, but enough. But for spring and summer - all I have are the t-shirts I wore to Disney World in October. I have no capris or summer things. My good friend and I are planning to go to Indy on March 21st to stock up, lol.

Marti - January's Oprah magazine has some exercise cards to pull out, and are supposedly very effective. Check it out, ok? They look doable, and are some of the "8 minute" ones. You only do 2 a day.

My weight is holding steady in the maintenance range. As I mentioned to Cristi, my biggest problem right now is getting this bod toned up. I think I need a designated workout time each day. And I do think I should include the ones I just told Marti about. Even a jaded lady like me could do 2 a day!

What's your biggest challenge right now?
Old 12-28-2004, 08:28 AM   #14  
RosieKate

Right now I am having a hard time with leftovers...so today I am cleaning out the fridge thoroughly. I haven't been keeping track of my food so well with the holiday, so I am back to doing that.

My challenge for this week is to sit down to eat...kind of blew it yesterday when I ws fixing dinner, but today is another day you know!

I weighed in and, not surprisingly, no change. But then again I have been indulging, so I am glad there was no gain.
Old 12-28-2004, 01:04 PM   #15  
One day at a time

My biggest challenge right now is getting the water down. I have to get back in the habit again. It has been so long since I was drinking what I should be drinking. I need to leave the diet coke alone, maybe just have one a day. Now that is a big challenge-doing away with the diet coke. It's hard because I have never been a water drinker, never really had a taste for it. So far the food is fine. I fixed dinner last night and only ate half of what I put on my plate so that part is going fine right now. Slowly working exercise in my routine-that will take a while to get used to again and do on a daily basis. But I am working on it.

Jane~you're right in that it could have been more than 2 lbs. But still that's a step backwards and I hate that. It seems for every step forward I take, I take two backwards. I was fine with maintaining for now but I just hate to see a gain, just that much more I have to lose. But I am working on it. I am going to have to try the veggie soup-I do love veggie and tomato soup.

Katy~WTG on maintaining! Yes, it is better than having a gain so I owuld say you are doing great! It is just as hard to maintain as it is to lose but I know we all want to see a loss.