Closed Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 09:40 PM   #241  
Building a Better Me

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/250

Height: 5'3"

Hey Ladies

Food! It's EVERYWHERE! And it's so hard to avoid!! But I had pizza tonight for dinner...and... I only had one serving So I still have 200 Calories to burn today!! YaY!!! I've been good

Stormy, I LOVE SCRUBS LOVE EM LOVE EM LOVE EM!!! As for the pasta, don't worry too much It's just once in awhile and it's not bad for you You're doing awesome so far...I can't wait until I can say I've lost 14 pounds!

Red, YaY for you! Down 2.2 in a week is great!! So what that you're still up 1 from starting weight... a few more weeks like this week and you'll be gorgeous darling

Crime Girl, Congrats on your upcoming Graduation! I know it's still awhile away... but wow! With Honors!! That really is an honor! (Sorry to sound cheesy)

GH, Good Luck in your auction
Old 01-15-2005, 09:56 PM   #242  

Hi all, sorry I haven't been around much lately. Work is crazy busy, and I'm just exhausted by the time I get home.

I've had semi-migraines the last two days, so I haven't been able to work out. I've woken up both yesterday and today with massive headaches and feeling quite sluggish. I'm feeling a little better now, so hopefully tomorrow will be different.

I'm doing well other than the headaches and not working out. Still drinking lots of water and eating on plan. I went to a wonderful Italian restaurant last night, and was served a GIGANTIC portion of fettucini alfredo....of which I only ate one quarter! I was very impressed with that! So, even though it was my reward day, I think I stayed within my points! Whoo hoo!!!!

Well I'm gonna get going - looking at the screen doesn't help this headache, and plus, figure skating is on TV, and I'm a dork! Thanks to those of you curious as to my whereabouts! I hope to be on more tomorrow and then this week!

Have a great weekend, ladies!!!

Kelly
Old 01-15-2005, 10:13 PM   #243  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

KJK, there you are! I was just about to post asking where you were. I'm so sorry to hear you've been feeling so bad. Migraines, wow! I have never had them but my sister used to get them and I have had hangover headaches that I'm sure were about the same! Where it hurts so much you don't want to move, hurts so much you cry. I sure hope you get better soon. Awesome that you are not overeating. Amazing save at the Italian restaurant. Hang in there, kiddo!

Jacque, thanks for your encouragement. The drop in weight gave me a great boost. Already I am thinking how I can do better this coming week. And look at you! Only one serving of pizza. Is that like possible?!! Not with me it wouldn't be! I am impressed. Keep it up. Have you, by the way, taken pictures of yourself at your starting weight? If not, please do. It'll be so great for you to see the amazing difference when you're at goal weight. And I want to see it too!! What, by the way, are scrubs? I don't think it's a TV show because grasshopper is wearing them to bed. I checked on the Net and saw TV shows called that but I also found the clothing site. Is that it? I mean, I know scrubs are usually what surgeons wear. I see these neat caps and I want to get one. I was just thinking I wanted to start wearing headscarfs at the gym last night. I used to always wear scarves on my head and last night I had tied my red long towel around my head with one end long and wore that down over one side and I liked it. Even got a compliment (well, a bodybuilder's kind of compliment) from a guy saying it looked like I was ready to really work out. I said, "you sure I don't just look like a cleaning lady?" and he said no it looked great. Anyhow, I see a company called green scrubs. Is that what you all are talking about? Clue this alien being in!

Last edited by redballoon; 01-15-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:16 PM   #244  
Trying or Dying

S/C/G: 327/258/180

Hey everyone!
I can only be on a sec- I have been running all day long.
Just wanted to tell you my good news- I am so excited!
For Christmas/ making honors my bf bought me a mini Ipod!
I have been playing with it while I read all night long so sorry I haven't
been on. Been wanting one of these so bad!
Old 01-15-2005, 10:19 PM   #245  
Never give up

Wow, Crime girl, what fun! Yes, I wanted to congratulate you on making honors! Good for you and all your hard work. Have fun with the ipod!! And tell me where you get your music from. This is on my wish list too!
Old 01-15-2005, 11:26 PM   #246  
Building a Better Me

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/250

Height: 5'3"

kjk, Yuck! I've never had a migraine...but YUCK! I hope you are feeling MUCH MUCH better! As for resisting too much fettucini; Congrats to yourself! You deserve a HUGE congrats for that!

Red, You are so sweet!! Scrubs is a TV show, but they are also the outfits that doctors wear... very comfy loose cotton outfits.

CG, an Ipod Mini! How cool! I'm so jealous!! I want one!
Old 01-15-2005, 11:29 PM   #247  
Never give up

Heh, people, I just wanted to point out an interesting thread going on in the Maintainers area. It's in the Maintenance Library and is called TFL Key #1: Believe That You Can Become Thin For Life. Link is:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51577

They're taking the book "Thin for Life" apart chapter by chapter and talking about it. I don't have the book but I think there's a lot of info that is interesting. I think a lot of people who still have weight to lose think they don't belong in the mainainers forum but if you've lost ANY weight and don't want to regain it then I think we're all maintainers, keeping at a certain level. And besides, reading about how people maintain is important. I'll just speak for myself here, but I know this isn't the first time I've "gotten fat" again!!

Anyhow, thought you might want to check it out.

OK, let's see what you all have been up to:

grasshopper -- thank you for that detailed explanation. I've come to expect nothing but! I totally agree with what you're saying about the processing ruining the health of people. I would hope that Americans don't identify with the dairy industry and will take a stance against companies who are only looking out for their own interests, at the costs of people's health. There is very little good about fast food and the huge industries. I hope people will take back the power and realize that the way they eat should not be dictated by others' wallets. It's a sad fact of politics that the big industries wield their money to influence in a very big way and can do that because those in government can allow themselves to be bought out. All we can do is, as you are doing grasshopper, try to fight our own small-scale battles, often totally private. It's a shame too that the unhealthy things are made to be so tempting, truly tempting and you have to be especially vigilant to avoid them. I SEE the difference in people here and it is huge. When I first came to Japan I never saw an overweight person or someone with bad skin. People's hair was healthy looking. Now, you see hair like straw, no luster, brittle, thin. Now, a lot of that could be due to hair products as most people nowadays are getting their hair dyed and permed and waved all the time. The hair is extremely damaged. But the skin. I see really bad skin all the time and there are always very overweight people to be seen. And the children are getting so fat. They eat sweets all the time and aren't exercising because they play video games all the time. I suppose it's an inevitable globalization and certainly doesn't bode well.

Oh, and grass, that is great that you can fit in to your jeans AND wear them in public (I understand the difference!!) You mean you couldn't even button them before?!! Awesome!

jacque -- don't be anxious about the scale. Whatever the number is, up or down, you must know that you have burned fat this week, if what you report to us is true, which I of course assume it is! I think you'll be in for a pleasant surprise, but even if the numbers aren't what you thought they should be, don't, whatever you do, panic! Look at me, last week I was thinking I'd lose and I had a 4-lb gain. Sure, I got bummed but I didn't blow it and I didn't panic. Take it from us old hands, jacque, this is not a losing battle, it's a loser's winning battle! and sometimes it's rough. Here's hoping the best for you!

stormy -- shoulders are very hard to increase and you must maintain form, form that really hits the shoulders because you can easily cheat and use you back or chest muscles depending on the exercise. Maintaining form isn't about keeping the size down though. And you shouldn't worry about getting big. If they're too big it's probably just because you still have fat under or over the muscle. Then again, if you want definition, they will get bigger, that's the idea of it, no? Which part of the delts are you looking to enlarge? front, back, side, top? The tops are the easiest to see results with with simple overhead presses and those are easy to maintain form with.

I like that you're cracking down on your husband a bit, well, I mean, that you're specifically expressing that you're tired of the status quo and want to see some changes. Good for you!

Last edited by redballoon; 01-16-2005 at 12:57 AM.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:33 PM   #248  
Never give up

Jacque, hi there! I see you just posted. Do you know this place. They sell all these cool scrubs and head scarves. I just found them when I was doing a search for "scrubs."
http://www.scrubs.com/default.aspx
Old 01-16-2005, 12:05 AM   #249  
stormy1

Red, man you have been out of America for a while now, huh? Scrubs used to just be worn by doctors, nurses and therapists. Now everyone wears them at the hospital from the cooking staff to the cleaning staff. It is almost hard to tell one medical personnel from the other. I wear them in home health b/c I need something that I can strip off as soon as I walk into my laundry room from the garage. I do not like my clothes being covered with germs, dirt etc from patients and their homes. As far as my delts are concerned, I am just looking to become more stable. Since I work in physical therapy I know the importance of maintaining form and not substituting with other muscles. This was drilled into my brain in school a long time ago along with everything else one needs to know about muscles, so I guess this is why I am so aware of it when I work out. I am hypermobile secondary to all of my ligaments being really lax. It is frustrating b/c with free weights I really have a hard time increasing weights, especially with my middle and anterior delts. If I increase too much I really lose form and I tend to hyperextend my elbows for added stability, which is really bad. I am not afraid of increasing weights, in fact I do not understand why so many women are. I guess they see the really cut female body builders and they think that they might end up attaining that look. I love the feeling of lifting. It is empowering. I am a certified weight trainer, although I am not into it like I once was. The bottom line is muscle boosts up the metabolism and everyone should do it. I even encourage my elderly patients to do so within limits. So anyway, how are you feeling today? Are you pumped up? Are you ready to get the weight off? I know that I am. It has been 7 weeks now since I began and as of Wednesday, I lost 14 pounds. So I guess I am on track. Let's meet our short term goal by Feb 14th!!!
Old 01-16-2005, 12:09 AM   #250  
stormy1

CG, congrats on the Ipod. How sweet is your boyfriend? You deserve it!

KJK, sorry about the headaches. I hope that you feel better soon!

Jacque, good for you for having some self-control. It is so hard when faced with temptations, huh?
Old 01-16-2005, 12:29 AM   #251  
stormy1

Red, thanks for posting that thread link to the maintainer's forum. Have you read that book? I think I will check to see if it is available at my library. See I gained about thirty pounds about six years ago. I lost it all but it all came back in the last year and a half and now I am in the process of losing that plus a couple of more. Has this happened to you also?
Old 01-16-2005, 12:49 AM   #252  
Never give up

Exclamation butt to the gym!!

stormy -- hi there! I forgot, you're one of the two always wowing me with your knowledge of the human body, you and grass, what a pair! Of course you would know about all the parts of a shoulder. I thought you sounded like you were afraid to "get big." But I see you're not. Thank God. I get so tired of hearing these women at the gym saying things like that, like the way they look, unable to barely lift their own arms! is normal, healthy, or in any way desirable. And if that IS the only way they can make themselves "desirable" then . . . well, I pity their choice in men! Why are some people hypermobile I wonder? Is there a way of fixing that?

Oh, and yes, about being out of the States, not long, only about 26 years! Sure, I've been back for bits and pieces here and there and I read constantly and my work and the Net and all keeps me informed about things. I even get to see some of the TV programs at times! but you're right I really have little clue about things like the smaller trends, things that it really takes being somewhere to realize. So, really, everyone's wearing scrubs. How weird. Well, I guess not, like you said, they're very easy to strip off and clean I suppose. Did they wear them on ER? I think I saw a couple episodes of that and I do remember thinking it was weird that everyone looked ready to scrub down and get the knives out. I thought, this looks like an warfront hospital but everyone's so serious! unlike M.A.S.H! That must be the reason!

As for me, I WAS ready to roll but have been sitting here so long I've lost that momentum. It has been raining all day. I must get out and try to rev myself up for the gym. You see, the caffeine is wearing off. I guess that's why. Maybe I should split my dose over the day. I guess that wouldn't be any harder on my body, right? grass, would you know about that? So, yes, thanks again for the kick. I WILL get my butt to the gym. Yesterday I only did weights. I want to work up a sweat and work out heavy. It did feel so good to be going heavy again. I am ready to take the weight off though. I've faced it now, accepted the fact that I gained a ton and as I lost a lot of muscle, I have really turned to fat. My face looks totally different and I don't like it. I can still wear the same clothes more or less but that's because the muscle is gone and fat come in its place. But I'll get there, back to where I was and better. You are doing so great 14 lbs is a lot when you don't have all that much to lose. Help keep me on track for Valentine's Day. let's both come out winners!

As for that book, no, I haven't read it, don't have it. I was going to buy it and may still. Or, maybe just reading Meg's explanation on the thread may be enough. I like reading others' responses to it. I mean, if you're like me, we KNOW how to lose weight. It's getting to that point where, like you said, FEEL like doing it, feel like applying the knowledge. So I think the discussion can do enough. I may not need to buy the book. From the reviews I read on Amazon I don't think there's anything new.

My biggest weight gain was this recent one. It wasn't 30 lbs but it was a good 10 and probably closer to 20 of pure fat because of the loss of muscle. That's why I was so sickened to realize what I had done. But I DO know how I did it and I have now accepted that. It was a very very bad time, some of the worst I've had in a long time and I've had some hard knocks emotionally. Not that they were so bad, certainly not more than a lot of people experience, deaths of loved ones, failed relationships, but they hit me hard. This was kind of new because it was linked to work, which I'd pretty well thrown myself into and also identified with. I also identified with working out hard and heavy at the gym, hanging with all my bodybuilder friends and to have lost the muscle and, perhaps worse, to have lost all desire to work out even, that was hard to deal with. I wasn't disallusioned with working out but I was still disallusioned as to what was the real source of the stress. It was work, it was being used at work. The shock was coming to the realization that a lot of what had been my strengths and things that I had supported me (such as working out and eating healthy) I had allowed to be sacrificed in the name of "helping out" at work. I hope I won't do it again. Anyhow, that was my biggest gain in 22 years. I had weighed a bit more at one point but a lot of that was muscle. I was even stronger than I was this last time, squatting an easy 130 kgs and used to do db curls with 16kg. But at one point I allowed fat to creep back in and so coupled with the muscle it had me at a high weight. But this time I'm not as strong, yet I weighed almost the same! That's why it bothered me so much. Still, it's not like I've never been fat. I blew up when I was a teen and only got that weight off when I came to Japan. I guess I have the exercise, new ways of eating and new ways of dealing with life to thank for the fact that it didn't get totally out of hand. Thanks to all you too. But, unlike first losses, second, third and fourth ones, having to do it over and over again, just leaves you saying, "you should know better!" and that's what makes it hard. Oh well, it also probably shows that, even after all these years. I'm STILL human!!

Tell me, stormy, when you gained your weight and why you gained it back again. Do you think this time you are ahead of the game when it comes to keeping it off once you lose it again and you are doing that!

Ok, I'm getting go to the gym, brave the cold rain and wind. Ugh!
Old 01-16-2005, 12:59 AM   #253  
Never give up

By the way, stormy, just out of curiosity why do you have 142 as your goal weight? It seems an unusual choice. Any reason you didn't just make it 140?
Old 01-16-2005, 08:56 AM   #254  
Trying or Dying

S/C/G: 327/258/180

Default New thread...

Please move to our new thread located at:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...362#post754362

Thanks!
Closed Thread