Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2005, 11:47 AM   #121  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

i have no reason why we put up with this other than we were born here.This is the second day this week that school has been cancelled---two bliZZards on ONE week.Plus,after the snow,we will have frigid temps for several days.----I hate extreme heat as you will recall my bragginess in the summer when i can go for a walk everyday without suffocating and have no need for air conditioning.The plants and gardens last until october as it is lush all summer---------there are pros and cons and besides,if i want to live in Canada the only place to escape cold is in British Columbia and i hate gray rainy days.BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH-----my dd had to write AP exams and Provincial exams but you only have to write these SATs if you want to go to an american university.WHERE IS KIWONK???????????????? I MISS HER.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:05 PM   #122  

I hope Kiwi didn't catch Sugar's tummy bug.

Sugar, I think the key to housekeeping is the acceptance of the fact that it is never done. Sometimes I almost feel like I've got a handle on it, then I turn around and it's totally out of control again.

I know I brag about the temperate weather here, but then there is the gray winter. There's good and bad about anyplace. We usually live where we do because that's where we started out, and once you put down a few roots, it's hard to pull up stakes and move somewhere else. If it makes you feel better, we're back down in the 50's today. And sorry, Bagzie, that probably didn't make you feel better. But how about if I tell you it's gray and rainy and I haven't seen the sun for a week even with these high temps?

I have a headache. Durn.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:22 PM   #123  
Member w/ messiest house

I've been horribly busy, it's a crime really. Tuesday I went to the big city with DH, who had a meeting, and bought him a birthday present and did some mega-shopping at Sams Club. Today Sam's rewarded me with a telephone spam, thank you so much. Yesterday I spent way too much time baking a cake and that stuff. Plus I haven't been sleeping very well, so I've been napping a lot during the day. Today was a snow day and I slept till 1 pm!!! I swear my days are just so fragmented I never get a thing done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lohani
HI all, DD never took the PSAT's. What do you mean by cut-off? How are they scored? What is their purpose? Why didn't your kids just take the SAT? What does the P stand for?
They don't give the PSAT in school there? Here they make them take it in 10th grade and again in 11th. The 11th grade one counts toward National Merit Scholarships -- they must have them in NJ, every state does. P means pre. And yes, they take the SAT. Supposedly the PSAT helps them know what to expect.

I am very curious, Lushie, about what schools DD got into and with what grades/class rank/scores. I wish I had a better handle on what my DD is looking at, and whether she can get in the kind of places she is starting to think about. I don't suppose you would email me such inside info?

We only had this storm last night, Bagz, but it finally looks like it's supposed to in winter (you know, all white) Sorry to hear you hacked your finger off. I did that once, still have a nice little scar and lumpy place, after 30 years.

Congrats on feeling better, Sugar! About time!

I don't mind the cold. Especially compared to the heat in NC -- all summer in the high 80s and 90s with killer humidity? Yuk. I would rather bundle up all winter than sweat all summer. Yesterday when I took DD to school the car thermometer said -9 F. It was even colder the day before because of the wind chill. The temp was right around 0 or a few degrees lower, but I almost froze to death walking to my car at the mall. I sort of forgot to take a hat with me. Bad me.

Here it is almost dark and I haven't walked with Leslie again. And DH just got home, so I won't be doing it tonight. I suk. Although I am a good cook. For his birthday yesterday, I made a German chocolate cake (which should actually be "German's" I found out), and had lovely marinated steak and baked potatoes and salad. Today it's leftovers.

I have a headache creeping up too, Wabby. Hope yours goes away. I have realized that whenever I get my period I get a headache with it, but it doesn't really get bad until I stop taking ibuprofen (for cramps). Then apparently it feels it has been given permission to become a full-blown migraine. The ibuprofen is just prolonging the inevitable I think -- I don't think it would matter if I kept taking it for a few more days, I would still get the migraine when I stopped. Oh well, feel better.

Bagz, I'm thinking of taking DD and her friends skiing for her birthday to Crabbe Mtn. Do you know what it means when they say "all prices include HST"?

Kiwi
Old 01-20-2005, 05:31 PM   #124  
loves kleenex box art

HST Hawaiian Standard Time (GMT-1030)
HST Harmonized Sales Tax (Canada)
HST Harry S. Truman
HST Hastings
HST Health Sciences and Technology
HST Health Systems Trust
HST Heat Shrink Tubing
HST Helicopter Support Team
HST Henkilön Sähköinen Tunnistaminen
HST High Score Table
HST High Speed Technology
HST High Speed Train
HST High-Speed Technology (Modem)
HST History/Host (File Name Extension)
HST Hoyt's Sector Theory
HST Hubble Space Telescope
HST Hunter S. Thompson (writer)
HST Hypersonic Transport
HST Hypertropy Specific Training (bodybuilding method)
Old 01-20-2005, 05:42 PM   #125  
loves kleenex box art

I know Keywie answered this but my two cents wants to talk. I am bored being home with sick boy. Some schools give a "full ride" to kids who become national merit finalists. This is approximately the top 1/2 percent of scores for each state. Each state has a different "cut off " for national merit semi-finalist because the kids do better on these tests in some places. NJ is the highest of all. These schools are possibly not ones your dd would consider anyway. Yale does not offer a thing for national merit achievement but the U of FL let the kids go free AND gives them first choice at classes. Classes are never full for these kids. It's the 11th grade score that counts but they can take it earlier .. probably as early as they want for practice. DS took it three years in a row. I'm that kind of mom as you know.

The application is coming along. One more essay needs to be written. He has willingly rewritten some others and I like them. Two of his essays were given to a teacher (by the guidance counsellor) and she marked things, wrote "I need to see you about this," and did not write one encouraging word. No "great intro." No "right on target here." Nada. He wont' go see her and I'm understanding why. One of the essays was a rewrite of a speech he wrote for speech class last sememster. He thinks she's going to complain about that. Bummer.

sugar, he wants to come live with you He likes pork.

Last edited by Cowpernia; 01-20-2005 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #126  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

okay kiwonk---let's go with the harmonized sales tax just because i don't think Harry Truman is included in your package. It means that our 15% tax that is on EVERYthing so we can get a get in the hospital for free medicare card----will be added FOR you into your bill====i know that americans can get that money back if they save their receipts and mail them somewhere-------at least if they buy gifts at the market,that is what we tell them----find a site on cross border duties and the like!---------------good ds of peachers----writing his essays for mother----she has him trapped in bed with a pen and an exam tablet.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:54 PM   #127  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

damn ---i can't stop eating these white chocolate and cranberry cookies
Old 01-20-2005, 10:25 PM   #128  
Member w/ messiest house

How harmonious. So we'll pay 15% taxes, I wonder what we will gain in exchange rate. And if the HST is "included", how much you want to bet we can't get it back. Maybe I could redeem it for an aspirin.

I'm listening to Lois Lowry read the first chapter of her book "The Messenger". She sounds like Peaches without the accent.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:54 AM   #129  

I'm in a moooooooooooooood.
Crabby. AGAIN. My crabby quota is probably up. It is directly proportional to how serious I am about managing food and weight. Drat. (D*mn etc. is what I really want to say.) Even though DH and I yielded to a Chicago Style Pizza at a place new to our area... turns out it's a chain, of course... BJ Brewery. Sounds much raunchier than it actually is. Well, this part of Texas is pretty polished... so it is "suburban trendy"... or something. and Even with all that yummy cheese, dough, sausage and FAT FAT FAT, I am hungry again. The white chocolate and cranberry cookie reference has just about sent me over the edge.
Cow-girl: Thanks for all the HST possibilities. Looking at lists of acronym definitions makes me feel amazingly stupid. (Not just "dully" stupid... but truly amazed by my ignorance. Or as Baxter Black would say, as smart as a bucket of nails.
Well, TGIF almost, anyway.
I could still forage in the pantry.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:49 AM   #130  
loves kleenex box art

TGIF Thank God It's Friday
TGIF Tactical Ground Intercept Facility
TGIF Thank God I'm Female
TGIF Thank God I'm Finished
TGIF Thank God I'm Forgiven
TGIF Thank God I'm Free
TGIF Thank God It Floats (Navy architects)
TGIF Thank God It's Florida
TGIF Thank God It's Free
TGIF Thank Goodness It's Friday
TGIF Today God Is First
TGIF Toes Go In First
TGIF Transportable Ground Intercept Facility
TGIF Transportable Ground Interface Facility
TGIF Turfgrass Information File
Old 01-21-2005, 01:02 PM   #131  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

HOW DO YOU DO THAT PEACHERS???? NO WAY DO YOU MAKE THEM ALL UP....WHERE IS THIS EFFIN SITE YOU ARE HANGING AT.{not my fault---painty started swearing first---i am going into the kitchen and throwing out the white chocolate cranberrry cookies---i ate almost the whole pack [but for three].
Old 01-21-2005, 01:13 PM   #132  
loves kleenex box art

What? ! ? You don't think I know all that? ???? Welllll.... you could look at this

Now guess what ....

guess ....

NOOOO.

Herbie just called me to ask if DS would like to go to Barcelona SPAIN with him and the grandson's over Spring Break. I am speechless.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:05 PM   #133  

Just when you think Herbie couldn't be more of an *ss, he does something nice. What are you going to do? Does DS want to go?

I just got back from the doctor's office w/ Grandpa Jim. I'm his human hearing aid. The Dr. will ask him a question. GJ gets a confused look on his face, then looks at me. I scream the question to GJ. He looks back to the Dr. and answers. Usually I have to scream the question a few times, along w/ plenty of hand gestures before he answers. I'm sure ppl outside the Dr.'s office can hear us. After an hour or two w/ GJ I catch myself talking very loudly to everyone. Very embarrassing.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:13 PM   #134  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainterWoman
Or as Baxter Black would say, as smart as a bucket of nails.
Or as Weetabix would say, dumber than a box of rocks. Oh. Nothing personal, just trying to help.

Speaking of dumb, I forgot all about making a cake for tomorrow's music recital. Oops. DD came in here to say goodnight and ask when we were leaving for the recital. Worse yet, I know I don't have enough eggs to make the frosting I was going to make. Maybe I'll have to run out and buy a can of frosting in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagzz
---i am going into the kitchen and throwing out the white chocolate cranberrry cookies
Yeah, who needs cookies -- just send me the white chocolate.

I really want to go into the very cold kitchen at 11:00 at night and start baking a cake. A bullet through the temples is more appealing. Sheesh. This is all because of that snow day. Got me all screwed up. And the cold, necessitating the blasting heat in this house which has my hands all cracking apart. I've been nibbling off so many bits of dead skin from my fingers, it hurts.

There's my Crabbing! I can do more, if requested.

And since I'm crabbing, let me take this opportunity to say that I think Herbie's a creep, even if this is a genuinely nice thing to do. Are you sure he doesn't just want someone to carry the luggage? Okay, I'm just being mean. I hope it's an actual good thing.

Kiwi
Old 01-22-2005, 06:49 AM   #135  
loves kleenex box art

DS's reaction was a bored-voice "Spain?"

Yes, I said.

"I don't know. What do you think?"

I'd go, I said.

"OK."

DS gets along with the grandsons and had a class with one of them last semester. That's all I know about it. I am dumber than a cup of rocks but not a whole box.
Closed Thread