Old 12-16-2004, 09:28 PM   #46  
stormy1

Little GH, try these sites:

http://allergies.about.com/od/recipesg/

http://www.glutenfreemall.com/recipes.html
Old 12-16-2004, 09:30 PM   #47  
stormy1

How about this for an invention:
A pill with NO side effects that allows you to eat whatever in the heck you want without gaining weight, raising cholosterol, etc.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:20 PM   #48  
Trying or Dying

S/C/G: 327/258/180

Default Hi again...

Hello- I am back and I have been so bad tonight. What the heck is wrong with me??? I ate a huge brownie tonight and I hate myself. I can not seem to get through one blasted week and eat right.
Little grasshopper- I am sorry you are in pain- you are right though-food will not make it better. Sometimes (the times I am successful) I try to mentally convince myself that a food I want will cause me pain. For example- I can't drink orange juice because of the level of acid in it. I have now convinced myself that regular coke will have the same effect as OJ. I know it sounds strange but sometimes I want foods because I can imagine how good they will be- like the brownie tonight will make me feel better for the moment and take away my stress. I convince myself that I am under stress therefore I deserve the brownie. Regular coke is a treat for me so now when I think "I deserve a coke" my brain kicks on and says-Coke will make you feel bad like OJ and it is not so desirable anymore. I have even read a book titled Germs that talks about all the nasty things that get through to our food supply when I get on food binges. (I think I will get that out tomorrow). Anything to make food less desirable.

stormy- I am all about your pill- you need to get to work on that right away. I will be your first customer. I would be so happy if I didn't have to think about food 24/7 and how I can lose this blasted weight.

Okay - well I am going-I will type more tomorrow night- I have to work all day and I doubt I will be able to get on until after 6 so
Have a wonderful night, morning, and afternoon everybody!
Tomorrow is fun and support day so if you have a funny story or joke feel free to share and keep the inventions coming.

Old 12-17-2004, 01:08 PM   #49  
stormy1

I hope everyone has a great weekend and does not give in to all of the food temptations around us. This is so hard especially this time of year but we can do it!
Old 12-17-2004, 05:38 PM   #50  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Smile going to get through this, you bet!

Hey all. Saturday morning here. Got to get to work. Just wanted to say that I was colossal yesterday! Hungry and with a headache all day from the caffeine withdrawal I triumphed! The store at lunch, always great for buying a sweet thing or two. I bought fresh pineapple and Italian sparkling water! After work, the import supermarket, always great for some delicious bagels. I picked up the bag, thought I'd "treat" myself. Thought again, this is simple white flour. Put it back! Mega accolades to me!!

Workout was a washout. But that wasn't my fault. I had my stuff to go to the gym after work but a talk with the boss turned into a two-hour talk. Hmm. When I got home I thought, damn, I've just been told the work I thought I was going to have is no longer. But in the end, it was a lot better than I'd expected. I still have work. I'm still free (I'm resisting full time hours because then I can't ride my horse and if I can't ride my horse there's no reason to work my friggin' A off! She's where all the dough goes! )

So, I suffered the headache all night long, kept waking up because of it but my one cat nestled in the crook of my arm made me feel better. Warm, soft, kitties, don't you love 'em!? So, people, I'm still here. I did OK yesterday. Work was not a shock because I'd imagined much worse. But my dear boss, being the timid man that he is would never have talked to me if I hadn't gone up to him and asked to talk. Then he comes out with everything. He went away saying how good he felt and thanking me for listening to "his problems." I said, heh, "your problems are mine, we're all in this together" in a very kind way. But boy, is that ever an understatement! But I've always, for over 15 years had a soft spot for the guy and now that he's managing editor things got a bit hairy. Anyhow, he told me he's stepping down in February, that he can't take the way upper management is using him. I don't know, could be a sob story but not hard to believe knowing the way the place works, or rather, doesn't work. I had my say, as I tend to do!, and so things are cool. Whistling the blues. . .

Thanks for all your support. Some of you have been through really rough times with work. I'm glad you got through it. Your stories are inspiring.

little grasshopper -- glad to hear that you're keeping caught up and eating well. Fantastic that you haven't cheated! I loved your story about the guy with the 30 phobia. What a laugh. 30 is light years behind me. I don't fear any age. I just hope I continue to mellow like the proverbial wine. Anyhow, that you took his phobia and used to reflect on your own situation shows true depth. I'm impressed! But, what is this pain you're in?! This is very concerning. Is it allergies, is it something else? Have you tried to find out what is causing it? I hope you find out. People shouldn't be in pain. If I am it's usually from food. Over the years I have learned to connect something I've eaten with a pain, but they're usually headaches. I've heard how body pains can come from other allergies though, especially dairy. I hope you look into this. Pain is a signal something is wrong. Please try to find out the cause.

crime girl -- thanks for your story too. You showed a lot of courage going back to school and sticking it out. I like your God/close door/open window thought. I believe we are all here to develop, to take and hopefully learn lessons that will cause us to develop. So, the hard times are these opportunities and though I'm no martyr and not open to get down on my knees in thanks for them I have, with the years, (and being bonked repeatedly over the head with many of my lessons!) learned that these hard times are meant to humble us enough to wake up and GET IT!!

Heh, don't eat the sugar! Eating out of the bag. Believe it or not I actually did that when I was in my early 20s. Talk about chemical imbalance. I was hitting the booze in a mega way too. Lucky I lived to talk about it . . . not that anyone wants to hear. . .

Wow, an invention. . . don't know. . .will have to think about that. Get back to you on that. . .

stormy -- how are you doing? And yes, I want an Enrique in my life, just to look at, oh, . . . right, who am I trying to kid!?!?!? .... I want an Enrique in my life to DO with as I please, and to be DONE with as I please with big emphasis on the "I's" !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by redballoon; 12-17-2004 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:05 PM   #51  
stormy1

Red balloon you are bad Use Enrique as motivation

Congrats on resisting the bagel. I love bagels especially sun dried tomato bagels. I have not had one in about three years.

I have had a headache today also. It is kind of weird b/c I do not get headaches often. It has been a good day though. I found out that I will be an aunt again! My brother in Italy will be having a boy. I have not seen him in about 12 years. I hope to get to go to Italy as soon as I am finished with school.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:19 PM   #52  
Never give up

stormy -- they don't get much worse than me! Thank God (for the guys) I don't have the body of a temptress as well. Keeps me in check. . .

Congrats on the coming aunthood (word? noooo...) Where in Italy is your brother? I've just been writing to a friend there. She lives in a tiny village called Peschici on the spur of the boot over on the Adriatic. I used to go down there when I lived in Munich in the early '80s. She's going through an ugly divorce (hubby shacked up with someone and then dumped his wife (my friend) and his two kids) So, my friend is in a state. Wanted to come here with her daughter but I have no room and no money so advised her not to. She's off to London for the holidays. Hope she can hang with friends over the worst days . . . Yeah, you should go there. Italy's cool. I love the emotion, the drama over, say, well, nothing much at all! Of course, that's the south, the north is totally different. Would you believe curly blond-haired, blue-eyed Italians. Shows you how far off the stereotypes are or perhaps just that most Americans of Italian descent came from the south. Well, ciao for now!

oh yeah, crime girl, I think you asked where I was from originally. Pittsburgh, Pa. Spent the formative (like Wonder Bread) years and all there, up to 18ish, and by that time I was really formed! in all the wrong directions!

Last edited by redballoon; 12-17-2004 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-17-2004, 06:25 PM   #53  

S/C/G: 160/147/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi guys! Hope everyone is doing well. Crime girl - don't work too hard!

I'm sorry - I'm just not a creative mind. The only invention I've ever thought up was a retractable hotdog roasting stick with a protective tip on the end...turns out - they're already made.

Stormy - thanks for the websites. I didn't look at them last night but I promise I will this weekend. I love to cook and use to be very good at it but I am working with a whole new set of ingredients now and not many of them to boot, so the websites will be a big help. thanks again!

Redballoon - Yeah!!!!! You did GREAT today!!!!!!! I'm really really proud of you! Especially facing all of the normal stops and not getting the normal foods...I had to change my stores for a while so I wouldn't even see the bad stuff You did a great job today!!!

I'm feeling a bit better today. The doctor looked at me and basically said my first rib is out. But you're right about the food allergies thing. That is exactly why I'm on the diet I'm on. The whole idea behind it is that certain foods allow for the body to become inflamed. Some people's more than others. I have a lot of old injuries - most from the accident I was in and a lot from too many years being aggressive in martial arts, now I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and a degenerative neuromuscular disorder of some sort. I didn't give much credit to the doctor that told me about it and I started seeing the one I work for immediately after, so I never fully researched that doctor's diagnosis. All I know is that most of the time I have a very low pain level, if any at all. Until 3 years ago I spent almost every day in pain - I didn't stop to let things heal or mend though. I'm not really sure I would have mended though because I was eating all the things I'm sensitive too - and you're right - if I get into them I wake up miserable for about 3 days. Now I don't really, unless I over do it. I changed tables Monday and the new one is wider than the old one. I didn't realize this and didn't make a height adjustment until I'd already done way too many massages....add to that I was working both jobs and running myself too death! I ate perfectly all week but I just can't do that much at once and expect to not hear about it. YET! I believe the body can heal itself from a LOT of things if you know how to eat and how to take care of it. I'm getting better every year. Having said all this, don't think I'm some poor pain ridden person. I back pack and am running and all kinds of stuff. I just get reminded every now and then that I have to be careful with my body.

I got adjusted today and all the bones were put back. And I have massage scheduled for either tonight or tomorrow so I'll be in good shape in no time. It's frustrating though to realize you've over done it again. Hopefully one day I'll get better at living life and taking care of myself at the same time! I refuse to not live.

Well I'd better go. We are going to try a mexican place tonight for dinner. I'm going to get the biggest piece of meat I can find because that's probably all I can have I'm good though. Soooo glad it's the weekend!!!! I'll talk to you all soon!
Old 12-17-2004, 06:31 PM   #54  
stormy1

Red balloon, he lives in Milano. He was born there. Before my parents were married my dad was in the military and was engaged to a lady there. When my grandmotherer got sick he came back to the states but her parents would not let her so they broke up. At the time she was pregnant but never told my dad. Well 18 years later my dad got a call from his son. They have a relationship now, which is cool. I am also lucky b/c I have a brother. I know what you mean about the drama. My hubby works with three Italians. It is like a soap opera. When you get them going it's like woa slow down. I am from South Louisiana originally and so I tend to talk fast, but it can not be compared to the Italians . They have a habit of making a big deal out of nothing. My husband is half Italian. Him and his side of the family makes a big deal over everything. I tend to be really laid back but they sometimes get me stressed out.

It sounds like you have lived in some really awesome places!
Old 12-17-2004, 06:36 PM   #55  
stormy1

Little gh, have you tried warm water aquatic exercise. It would be so good for you 92+ degrees I have treated tons of people with fibro in the water. Good for you for still doing massage. I have a friend with fibro who does massage and she is the only massage therapist who I will send my patients with fibro to. Have fun eating mexican food
Old 12-17-2004, 06:41 PM   #56  
Never give up

little grasshopper -- just saw your message and wanted to say hi before I fly out the door. Glad to hear you're not in so much pain. That's right, you do massage, cool! I was interested in doing horse massage. Still would maybe like to. Well, have a good time at the mexican restaurant. being a veghead I'd go for a humongous bean burrito or something but whatever you're into. . .enjoy!

stormy -- wow, what a soap opera like story about your brother. How awful that your father and his girl were broken up. Not hard to believe though. Italian families are ruled with an iron fist it seems at times. I remember the Milano train station. Was on my way up from the south, didn't realize the trains split and instead of heading to Monaco (Munich) like I'd planned I woke up in Milan. The guys on the train platform weren't too friendly even though I said in Italian that I didn't speak any Italian, like duh. . but they pointed me in the right direction and I got back to Munich. Other than Germany and here I've only lived in India, out in the sticks, nothing but a well for water, now that was a trip, was heading back there when I got sidetracked to Japan. Yeah, whatever, such is life. . . gotta run. Take care all!!!
Old 12-17-2004, 09:23 PM   #57  

wow Redballoon - I was planning to live in Raleigh NC but ended up in Wake Forest, but there's a 10 mile difference....you were planning for INDIA and ended up in JAPAN???? Who does your planning just kidding! We'll have to live through you a bit. I made it through the mexican food just fine. I ate a big chicken breast with avocado and a salad with lettuce and cucumbers and avocado and I took my own rice cheese. Got some funny looks but it's worth it to me. When the doc treated me nothing, and I mean NOTHING in me tested positive for an allergic reaction to foods going on in my body! That means that if I have gotten into something I did a good job processing it out, or I'm getting better and am not as sensitive anymore. (I'm hoping for the latter!) For the first time ever he had no doubt that I wasn't cheating. It made me feel really good

Stormy - you know, I did a lot of water therapy after my wreck and it did help a lot then. I hadn't thought about it now. I had a TON of physical therapy afterwards - so much that I cried the day I knew I wasn't going back. I'd been with the same people for so long. I am bugging BF for a hot tub when we build our house I just have a little bathtub but I take lots of detox baths. They seem to help a lot and make me believe there is a lot of truth to the whole theory that fibro patients tend to hold more toxins in their systems. Almost everything I do now is centered about detoxing and I feel 100% better - yesterday excluded. Thanks for the advice though, I'll check into it! You're smart to send your patients to someone that's experienced it. It's really easy to overwork a fibro patient. That's a horrible tailspin to put anyone through - especially when you're suppose be making them feel better!

Well, I think I'm going to walk tomorrow. I have to ease back into it. Might ride my bike instead but either way I intend to move

I'm really really tired - I'd better get to bed. I've been waking up 2 hours before the clock and can't get back to sleep. I can sleep in the middle of the day of course. We have a huge cold snap coming and I want to do some more insulating before it hits. Anything to help lower the electric bill!! We are doing that tomorrow and maybe, MAYBE snow sunday night or monday. We'll see. See everyone soon!!!!
Old 12-17-2004, 09:33 PM   #58  
Never give up

Wink plane hopping. . . .

Oh, grasshopper, I did say "sidetracked." You see, I was already "derailed."

Really, I had already been living in India (had gone there on a whim and a suggestion from Bangladeshi friends in Munich), had the idea I'd stay a while and study Bengali (just an excuse but I was fairly conversant in it by then) got the necessary papers for a student visa, but had to go back to the States to apply. Did that, applied, had a ticket as far as Bangkok via Tokyo etc. Planned to buy a cheap ticket in Bangkok to Calcutta. Waited all summer while they processed my visa application in New York. Worked at Wendy's. Got notice back that I needed a ticket OUT of India in order to get a visa. Very annoyed to say the least. Who really wants to stay in India I thought!! Canned the idea. Decided I had no interest in Bangkok or Hong Kong, flew to L.A. sold the rest of my ticket and thought I'd spend a few weeks to have a look around Japan. Got there and have been there ever since more or less. And that's. . . the rest of the story. . .. .

Anyhow, with me, getting an idea in my head, something I WANT usually gets me there or did, especially back when I was young and rash. Now, I keep thinking that I mustn't have a strong enough picture about the body I want because I don't have it yet. And really, I've always loved, absolutely loved the idea of saving up, plunking down the money for a plane ticket just about anywhere that strikes my fancy. Never had much money but I would work and save and spend it on nothing else 'cept for the thing I wanted most and that's why those things often make it look like I'm loaded. But I'm far from it.

Glad to hear you were great at the Mexican place. Are you allowed to bring in your own food to restaurants? Also glad to hear about the no allergic reactions. Sounds like you've been really vigilant.

Ok, I'm at work now. Gotta go.

Last edited by redballoon; 12-17-2004 at 09:42 PM.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:11 AM   #59  

Talking

Good morning!!! I'm feeling much much better now. thanks for the all the support!

Stormy - I'm not sure if I called ahead they'd say no....I never tried. How do you answer the "I have severe allergies to dairy..may I bring my own bit of cheese with me and still eat with my family at your resturant??" I just take the cheese and don't worry about it. I haven't tried taking my own steak yet

The scales are being good to me this week. I'm very happy! You know, we don't talk about weight loss during the week and I think it's really good in some ways. I mean we do talk about it, but without the numbers and the addicting stops at the scales, you know. It's nice to not be so caught up in that part of weight loss and be able to discuss the life issues that get in our way more. I'm going today to look at a gym near my house. I'm going to get rid of my old club membership. I've moved and it was a crappy gym anyway. It's in the middle of horrible traffic and I never go there. When I do, half the machines are broken and they only have 1 class now and while it's a great class, it's always PACKED! Time for a new club.

Well drinking my warm lemon juice and getting ready for a fruit salad. Have you guys ever seen the comedian that talks about the diet that he's on.....it's a steak in the morning and the all the water you can drink for the day. All the water you want!!!! Then the next way you have water and then cry...all the tears your want, you just cry and cry....... Well I can have all the prunes I want!!!!!! I can just eat them and eat them If did that I'd feel exactly like that guy!!

Everyone have a great day!!!
Old 12-18-2004, 09:51 AM   #60  
stormy1

Talking

Little grasshopper, I am so proud of your Mexican dinner. I would have not been able to make such a good food choice. I would have wanted something with a lot of cheese. I love cheese

Red balloon, I love hearing your stories I think that it is b/c I love to travel so much. However, I was married at 19 and we are both so goal oriented that we have spent most of our time working and going to school. You are getting to do what so many people would love to do but you are working hard for it. As my mom always says "if you work hard for something you will appreciate more than if it was given to you" We try to get out of the country one to two times a year to scuba dive.

Where is everyone? Where is our fearless leader crimegirl?

Well tonight I have another Christmas party. It is dinner and dancing at the Wildhorse Saloon. I do not know how to line dance. It would probably be a funny sight We moved to Nashville in August so I am not up to par yet with country music and such. Hopefully there will be some healthy food choices.

I know that tommorrow is weigh in day. I have been super good this week except for the cookie incident. I kind of cheated and weighed myself this morning. No weight loss this week It is my time of the month right now so maybe that is the problem. Scales are so discouraging that is why I am glad that we set Sunday as our weigh in day. I know that muscle weighs more than fat....go by the way your clothes fit...yadayadayada...but is would be nice if the scale moved. It is a psychological thing!
Closed Thread