Old 12-03-2004, 05:28 AM   #61  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Hello, Hello ond this delightful Friday evening. It's not too hot, there's a bit of a breeze and it's Friday. Could anything be better??

In answer to Ms Mexico's query, my main methods are as follows:
Portion control
Water
Exercise.

Forget the D word. For me that never works. What I do is to limit the stuff that is not so good for me and each lots of the stuff that is good. Heaps of fruit and veg (although fruit is high in sugar) to fill up on.
My menu is something like - cereal and fruit (usually fresh), low fat, plain yoghurt for breakfast, a salad sandwich or wrap for lunch again with some fruit or chopped up vege, and dinner is meat (mostly chicken, but the odd bit of beef, lamb or pork and salad 3 nights a week. Fish at least once if not twice and veges, veges, veges.
I try to drink 1500ml of water per day at least. Sometimes I don't make it, but I try. One thing I have found is that without it, weight loss is really slow, and there are problems with elimination too - to put it politely
I go to the gym 5 times a week - 2 x 40 minutes of weights and resistance training, 2 x 40 minutes of cardio - usually running on the treadmill and 1 hour body balance class (Pilates, yoga, Tai Chi mix). In between times I work around the house and garden. (apart from the day job that is). One other thing I do or rather don't do is snack much. Sometimes I'll have some rice crackers but mostly if I am going to eat between meals it is extra fruit. I'm pretty lucky that I don't have a sweet tooth, but watch me chow down on cheese.

So I hope you have some hints and tips from that and from the other ladies on this thread. It's often a case of experiment until you find the right mix. But I'm sorry, I can guarantee that nothing will happen without control, exercise and water. Control and water will help you lose but not really quickly. Trick is to fill the day to keep your fingers out of the fridge.

I like my job!!!! Did I say that before. I really am happy there. They treat me like an adult and take advantage of any knowledge I may have. The 'boys' are fun, one is slow and pedantic, another a real live wire who doesn't explain anything in his doco - wonder if I can somehow merge the two and get reasonable doco at good speed??? The other two are more or less self sufficient - one is super efficient, so my job although very busy is relatively easy and entertaining. There is always someone taking the mickey. It probably won't always be that way - there will be days where I will complain about things, but it has to be a huge improvement on the other. I can stop coming here and whingeing. We don't have flirty jokes over here much any more, Meadow. The do-gooders have taken a lot of fun from the workplace and made us all into perfect little do gooders who won't or can't harass the neighbours or workmates and who can be warned or fired for being a bit free. While I think things are much better than they were, a lot of the fun and banter has now gone from the office. We seem to have swung too far the other way - many men don't know how to speak to women for fear it will land them in hot water. Mostly they won't even say you look good incase you get up and chastise them for thinking you looked bad yesterday. As I said it's hard. Fortunately being a bit older does allow me to crack the odd funny or two and get away with it. The guys seem to feel fairly relaxed with me so we all get on reasonably well. We had a conference call today where one of the guys was asked if he was looking after me. His reply was that Joy and I work together well - I co-operate and do it her way.

I'm on my way happy!!! Shovel and spade in hand - aaaah no! shovel and spade in hold - otherwise I'll get done going through the xray machine. One piece of advice I will give though is not to get rid of anything or move anything until you have been in the place 1 year! Reason? You are shifting in to the house in the winter. How do you know or not know that those trees provide desparately needed shade in the summer? Or that they don't have beautiful flowers or foliage? Another reason is that there may be bulbs or seeds in the ground which will appear in the spring. Nothing worse than getting a spade depth down and digging up all these bulbs and tubers which you have happily managed to slice in half with the spade. By all means get rid of the known weeds and surface garbage, get it all ready for my next visit.

Yikes Linus, what a price to pay for the IPOD. It must be a good one. Good to hear he is on the mend or nearly on the mend. The poor kid must be thinking this is retribution for the booze bouts. Perhaps you can give a hint about this is what life will be like when you drink. Hey that is some savings you have made with giving up the dreaded weed! Wonder how much Happy has saved in the last 8 months or so.

Tig - why are they ripping your project plan to pieces. Is it a practical one - is that why? Is it logical and budgeted and all those things?

And it is Friday night. So in a few minutes I am about to clear the kitchen and since there is nothing on TV worth watching, I may just have an early night. Get up early in the morning and get cracking on the DS's room. I have a dust mask, I have a neck to ankle caftan, I have steel cap boots and a hard hat. I'm in there. I'm up to the wardrobe/ closet! - it has remnants of both DS's since DS1 left things in there too when he left home. Is life meant to be sneezy????

Last edited by Shad; 12-03-2004 at 05:36 AM.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 01:59 PM   #62  

back in later have read have laughed and im now going in the middle of decorating the livingroom and theres tinsel everywhere and conner wants to play soma
kirsty
linus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 05:33 PM   #63  

sorry kids just too bloody sore and tired to write loads so the livingroom is decorated so is the tree craig and conner are watching dvds andy is doing his web site and me and cleo are going to sit and watch animal precinct so ill bid you all goodnight and speak to you tomorrow
kirsty
Old 12-03-2004, 09:24 PM   #64  
Tig
Gotta RUN!

Default This is What Weekends Are For

We went to Target after I finally got away from work and fought the traffic to get home. Whew. We got ALL of the grandkiddos' presents and several boxes of Christmas cards - a MOST successful shopping. I am SOOO glad I don't have to deal with the frantic shoppers anymore. The traffic was horrible. You'da thought there was a hurricane coming - almost felt like we should get some plywood. And I'm sure it will get worse...last time I checked the calendar it was ONLY December 3. Now whassup with THAT?!?!

After shopping, to reward our weary feet, we went out to dinner. I got portabello ravioli and Dearest Hubster ordered a veggie marinera spaghetti that smelled WONDERFUL. My ravioli was remarkably magnificent with a roasted garlic sauce (can you smell it?) ahhhhh. okay. You did. We got carbed up! I told Hubster that if a vampire came close to him, I'd throw a kiss and he'd be saved by my garlic breath.

Hubster helped the Flower House Guild Ladies with a yard sale today and was granted an excused absence for tomorrow morning so we're going to Cocoa Beach for the 5K, Don't Stop to Pick Up the Seashells. A beach run at low tide.

After the run the Darling of the Flower House Ladies (did I tell you their average is approximately 78? They are his Fan Club) will go back to church and I have a haircut appointment at 2:00. Our other task tomorrow is to pull together a Welcome basket for our new rector and his family. They are in their new house but are still waiting for their furniture to show up. I'll stop at The Cake Store next to the haircut place tomorrow. We'll put together a bottle of wine, wine glasses, corkscrew, cheese and root beer and something from the bakery for the teenagers. Treats like that will definitely compensate for no furniture. If nothing else, they'll know they have weirdos at church.

Quote:
Just one extremely enjoyable evening can wipe out the most remarkably obnoxious workweek. Tig
Tig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 05:09 AM   #65  

Weirdo's at the Church???? I think it is very generous of you to put all that together for them. Remind me to lose my furniture when I shift into your neighbourhood Tig.

We seem to have worried Ms Mexico, she's not been back since.

I've had a good day. Busy this morning and winding down towards bedtime again. I went to the Body Balance class and worked out that my balance is still terrible. I really will have to work on that. One side is not as bad as the other, but it is a real problem. Seems I have to have at least two extremities on the ground at one time or disaster is likely to occur. I swept, dusted and cleaned, shopped and cooked. It's not been a good food day though. Not all that bad, but definitely not on plan. I've cooked up a pot of sushi rice to make sushi rolls for lunches next week. Bet the 'boys' will have something to say about that, but not to worry. Tomorrow morning is sushi rolling. Anyone want to join in? I've got some smoked salmon, egg, lettuce and some pickles stuff to go in them. I'll have to sort out some more veges as well.
I didn't get into the DS room today either, owing to the sweeping, cleaning and shopping described above. That will now be on the list for tomorrow. I can just about taste the dust now. YUK. Got to be done.

Okay, well clean up the kitchen and indulge in some belly up TV time. See you all tomorrow.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:57 AM   #66  

Default Good Morning Everyone!

Hello, Yeah it is Saturday and will try to make a big dent in my list...... and yes the dead tree is getting addressed today! I hope it turns out....I will let you girls know.... then I have to transport it so I can always blame the look and the ride to its final destination, RIGHT!!!
Welcome, to our neighbor to the south....MS. Mexico.... yes the decision to lose weight and make it a daily process is difficult but the great part about finding this place is the journal is way more bearable. Please come and visit with us again.
Shad I want tocome and help you make rolls.....I am a nut for them and would love to know your rice recipe for making the rice stick together and how you roll them....I have dried seaweed in my cupboard just waiting for me to get the courage up to do just that!!! You sound so much better being in a place where things are more comfortable..... a job with good people around makes the world of difference...well for me right now it is my world in many ways!
Tig, loved the church lady story and how they adore your hubby...that is precious and probably so very true. Good luck with the run and I am so envious of your determination.... my running partner is doing great.... so is tracking about 35 miles a week on her treadmill. While I sit and watch the dust settle to cement around my running shoes.....
Meadow thanks for the kind words and info on the lavendar.... I usually sleep like a log but some days I have just had enough and I love my early mornings to sit and drink coffee and read the news online. Hope all is well at your house.
Happy so glad about the house it sounds so exciting and a chance to throw out old things and to have a new look at life. The weather should be better and I hear it is lovely out there. best of luck to you and try not to stress out too much! Keep us posted on your journey!
Teel, It was so great to know you were home but dear we are still wondering how you are doing? Have you been able to resume your normal activities...any playing on the violin going on???? Teel, I have a great story or maybe you have heard about it in the Classical world ..... let me know if you have heard about the find of Kapell's lost works.
Linus, sooooooo proud of you...... it is fabulous the days you now have behind you and girl the money you have saved.... absolutely great! Thanks for sharing with us in the way that you do. I do hope that Craig is on the mend and that he is able to be up and about. How are you feeling these days are you taking care of yourself not to overdo? You are the best so glad you are there for Teel. Keep up the good work!
Miss Mel, you have outdone yourself once again out facing the maddening crowds and getting through it all...... now if you ever go you can just sit and enjoy watching the people in their plight rushing around to get their shopping done. Sort of sad in some ways that people think obtaining some material gift for those they love will provide happiness or love..... they miss that it is the gentle kindness in each day that provides each of us the riches of our life.
The Three Wise Women
would have
Asked directions,
Arrived on Time,
Helped deliver the baby,
Cleaned the stable,
Made a casserole,
Brought practical gifts and
THERE WOULD BE PEACE
ON EARTH!

Peace to all my wordly friends...... make it a great day and only do today what needs to be done...tomorrow can wait and you don't have to cook everyday!!!!
Love,
nae
Roseblush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 04:04 PM   #67  

Nae, sushi is easy as long as you have the right type of rice. I use one called Koshihikari which is although Australian grown supposed to be the Japanese style of rice and it is very sticky. You need to be prepared before you start, otherwise the kitchen will be a sticky mess when you finish. Not to mention yourself.
To cook the rice, I put one cup of rice into a saucepan, making sure the rice covers the bottom of the pot. Add enough water so that if you stick your bent thumb into it, the water just covers the joint of the thumb to the hand when you rest the bent part on the rice in the bottom. Add a bit of salt and a bit of mirin or rice wine vinegar. Cover and bring the whole lot to the boil and then turn it off and leave to cool in the pot. Now I am not Japanese, so I put all sorts of things into my sushi, but what I have learned is that you don't put a thick layer of rice over the nori (seaweed sheets) otherwise the sushi ends up huge. These days I only just cover about 1/2 to 2/3 of the sheet with a very thin layer. Todays sushi will be different combinations of smoked salmon, egg, lettuce, roasted pepper, pickles, olives, onion and whatever else I might lay my hands on in the fridge. I've even been known to have bacon and egg sushi. The Japanese might declare WW111 if they knew what I did to the sushi.
You don't really even need a rolling mat if you don't have one. Just plonk a piece of plastic wrap over a tea towel and use that to start the roll. Just don't roll it up into the sushi as well. Done that before now too. But it is fun and I make enough for about three days of lunches and snacks and nibbles to eat if someone drops in.

Anyway, that's on the plan for first up this morning - about half an hour away from now. Just knock on the door and walk in, I'll be the being in the kitchen covered in sticky rice.

So what's on the menu today. Well, thinking about it, here's the plan!
It's now 6.50am.
Get that load of washing on the line and put the last one in the machine.
Prepare the kitchen for sushi.
Make the sushi and put in the fridge.
Go to the plant/hardware shop and get some potting mix
Go to DS2's place and repot the last of my plants and bring them home
Repot some of the plants on my verandah
Gather all the gardening waste and put it in the big gardening sack. The green waste man comes tomorrow.
Finish the menu for the week and check that I've got all the bits I need. Shop if I have to. (Trying to keep out of the shopping centres - like Tig. (I enjoy my sanity))
Parcel up the pressies and post the cards and parcels.
Do the ironing before it turns into Mt Shad and erupts.

That should about do it.
No gym today - day off. Back into the weights tomorrow before work.

Okay, time to go get started. Doesn't look like it is going to get too hot today nice day to be out in the fresh air.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:24 PM   #68  

evening all how are we tonight ??? good i hope
i phoned teel at her parents and she sounded not too bad but that might have been because mum was there but ill phone her monday night and make sure shes okay
MEL passed on your best wishes to craig hes getting better he actually ate home made soup and kept it down and he ate a pear how long is jen and bf banned from the house ??? and are you enjoying seeing the world straight again your card should be there soon
SHAD arent you a busy bee bringing plants home repotting others your making me jealous i really miss my garden and am hoping to get one real soon and i dont blame you for not doing ds,s bedroom i avoid doing my brats room and there still in it
TIG know that shopping feeling i went and made a really big dent in our kids xmas shopping so they actually have presents to open on xmas morning i really hate shopping and avoid it like the plague
ROSE i know the secret to rice that sticks together mines does it everytime no matter what i try long grain rice,water,a wee bit salt ,and hey presto stuck rice hows the tree ?? is it painted yet?? hows the scenery bet its lovely im going to buy you a web cam so i can see
MEADOW thanks for forgiving me you can blame premature senility i blame my mother its all her fault she just agrees with me i think shes just humouring me
right ladies im talking to my freind on the phone and shes very drunk and has been talking my ear off for 4 hours now and shes gone from bad to worse and is now talking about what she can argue about with her boyfreind about when he comes home i just dont understand how people can get into that state if i did i wouldnt drink but hey thats life so im going as im finding it really hard to type when shes moaning in my ear and if i say hmmhmm once more shes going to realise im not paying attention to her so ill be back tomorrow
kirsty
Old 12-05-2004, 09:56 AM   #69  

god afternoon just a wee quick post as im going back to bed craig took another turn for the worse last night {early hours of the morning}and i had to get the doc back out as he was sick as a dog and was in so much pain with his stomach so his painkillers have been upped so just have to wait and see what happens tomorrow with the blood test results and i will let you all know whats happening
kirsty
Old 12-05-2004, 10:56 AM   #70  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

Linus~ So very sorry to hear about Craig sick still. Hope the dr finds something to ease all this. Jen and the BF are better. They're allowed in today! I have been the only one not sick lately. Best not to brag huh? You must be worn out working and worrying? Take good care of yourself. I can't say that enough. I am learning this too! LOL

Shad~ already posted about the sushi so I won't have to hold my nose again here! I am VERY HAPPY that you like this job. I also agree that offices have gone too far the other way now with etiquette(sp) The other day, John in maintenance said I looked very cute and pretty that day...then blushed and said not that I don't usually look nice and started fumbling for words. I had to tske him in the maint. room and calm him down. His first words were "you never know anymore how some one is gonna take what you say. I'm afraid to say anything anymore" Sad but true. This guy is really at a loss cause he's very "bawdy" and usually I have to shut him up before someone hears him!!! I am sneezing just thinking about the DS room!!! LOL Good luck!

Happy~ Illinois is giving you a snowy farewell!! Enjoy it and how goes the packing????? Thinking of you.

Nae~ Hope the dead tree turns out grand. As I said I have seen a few that were very nice! Good luck with the transporting!!! What an excuse!!! But very good thinking in your part! Have a fun time! I think we scared Miss Mexico away before we enven got to know her! :yike:

Tig~ Are we talking about Jen on 3fc or Jen my daughter??
I gave MY Jennifer her art supplies. Jennifer of 3fc calls me Mom2 and I adopted her so-to-speak and calls herself DD2. It's a joke cause my own DD has the same name. But I will tell you, she sent me a photo and she could well be Jen's sister. she would fit right in with the same colorings. How was the Seashell race??? Did you push any old ladies into the gutter??? I would like the basket of goodies if the new rector doesn't like it! I'll even share it with Shad! Be careful of those seniors!! They can be feisty little things! They love a hard working man!!! Good for the DH! Nice to give help where it is usually so very needed.

Meadow~ Decorate away my friend!! Go Meadow!!! If I was close you could decorate for me and I would brave the crowds and do your shopping! Hope the shopping trip went well! LOL I asked Santa for Antonio Bandaras!

Hope Teel is OK and feeling better. I am going to try and take a ride in one of the old chairs. They called the company for the new chair and a rep is flying out to see what is wrong with mine! I miss it too. Hadn't really thought I would but my bloody arse does!! Most of my list is finished but the general tidying up and some laundry still. Will catch up on that this week. This month I am going to try to not use phrases like "I am going to try"! No more woulda, shoulda, coulda. Going to learn how to say will, shall, can! I have found myself making too many excuses for not doing things. So the theory here is...If I make time for Mel then I don't have to procrastinate and make excuses. I have told quite a few that "Sorry but I can't" this past week and directed them to someone who can. (chest all puffed out)
So today is for me and I will spend it with Xmas dvds and making more soup. NOT SUSHI!!!
Have a wonderful Sunday and good morning Sunshine! Try not to lose me again!
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 04:16 PM   #71  

evening chickies , how are we all tonight good i hope ??? me not so good im so worried about craig ,hes dropped so much weight and im getting scared i slept curled up at the bottom of his bed incase he was sick again and i never heard him so now i can be worried and bloody sore all at the same time
not done anything today but eat chocolate and crisps and drunk gallons of tea cause craig can drink tea so i keep making the bloody stuff i really dont like tea much at the moment plugged the mp3 player into my lugs and im pretending the rest of the planet doesnt exist right now for about 15 minutes S**T ive got to go conner hasnt had his bath the litle so and so is keeping out of sight incase i remember so ill go and surprise him
kirsty
Old 12-05-2004, 04:20 PM   #72  
Happy September

Exclamation I'm Sooooo Excited!!!

Isn't it grand when ypou accomplish something for the first time???? and I did 3 things! Went out for a ride and took my first digital pictures, downloaded them to my PC and uploaded them to webshots!

http://community.webshots.com/album/227495486lRMQOp

They're not great but it's a start! a man scared the heck out of me. He was sitting on a porch in the shade and asked if I was playing tourist! I hadn't even seen him!! Told him I had gotten a new toy for early Xmas and he cheered me on with Good For You!! OK I got a lot to do and haven't done it yet!!!
Old 12-05-2004, 04:23 PM   #73  
Happy September

Kirsty~ we posted almost together. Hope things go better. I feel so bad for him. What kind of virus is this?????
Has the dr thought of running some tests or is he sure it is a virus/flu? Sending prayers your way Mr. Craig! Hurry and get well soon!
Old 12-06-2004, 04:22 AM   #74  

Evening all,
I have to type this with the keyboard on my lap, the cat has taken charge of the computer chair. I have a choice of 3 inches on the right hand front corner of the chair or standing up. Darned cat.

Speaking of cat, what a wimp. I was out fertilising the garden this afternoon. Repotted the standard rose as well and the fertiliser - well to put it mildly, it doesn't smell as good as the roses do. However the roses love it. Miss Sunday does not. She seriously expressed her displeasure. Now if the dog was still here, he would have been chasing it across the yard and rolling in it when it hit the ground, and even trying to eat it without my noticing. Anyway it is now on the ground waiting for the rain to come and it don't smell too great I must admit. Keep getting whiffs of it on the breeze.

Now Mel, who's the clever girl then? No flies on you is there. Give you something to play with and look out, you're on your way to obsession with a camera. Welcome to the club!!!! I've taken a quick look at them, and will go back later to ensure I put you into my favourites so I can get an e-mail when you update them.

Kirsty, I am so sorry to hear about Craig. Good heavens hasn't he suffered enough with this 'bug' now? Time to start beating the doctor up for some results from those tests I think.
Hope he gets well soon. Tell him to shift himself out of that bed and get back to being bad. We miss the daily updates.

Where is everyone else. Teel should be back by now regaling us of tales of the great journey. Tig, Meadow, Nae, Happy - hello!!!

Anyway, not much time for here today. I'm on a roll with the DS bedroom. The old heave ho. Great stuff hey. Flylady's 27 boogie fling or is that 27 fling boogie is alive and well in my place.

Yea it has started to rain, now the fertiliser will get washed into the roses and stop perfuming the air. Strange, I wonder why Miss Puss is still out there. Usually one hint of water and she's history - in bed and under the covers!!!!!
Old 12-06-2004, 08:24 AM   #75  

Default Morning

Wow Mel, the pis were great for your first time out....I enjoyed seeing into your world, thanks so much for sharing. You are a very lovely woman who is such a good friend to many. I am so glad to know you even better now. can't wait for more glimspes into Mel's world.
Shad thanks for the hints on the sushi..... I need to put the rice on my list for when I travel out of town and pick some up.... do you use washabi when you eat them? The garden sounds so lovely. Hope the job isnt too hectic this week.
Linus, I am sure you are fearful for your son. I do hope that the proper medicine can be used to some it.... are they saying it is just the flu? Keeping you in my prayers.
Ok the dead tree..... yes I did it. I even took it over to the ladies house where I was to put it. The house is gorgeous and I didnt' have the heart to drag in my dead tree no matter how pretty it looked it is frocked glittery finery. So I hauled it home put it on my deck and now I have outside decorations. Instead I am taking over my woodland St. Nick that sits with me during the holiday season....he is my favortie decoration and is so handsome with his woodland creatures surrounding.
I had a somewhat busy weekend.... my list is a bit smaller but I don't feel very productive in other ways...DOes housecleaning count? I think I will do some internet ordering this week and do my shopping that way this year.
Hope this finds you all well....and you must be busy....
Merry Christmas,
Peace on Earth,
nae
Roseblush is offline   Reply With Quote