Old 11-29-2004, 10:40 AM   #121  

S/C/G: 177/134/132

Height: 5'5

Good Morning, Everyone!

I see some of our regulars from our little group are missing in action. So, to get us all going again, what if we forget our weigh-in this week and concentrate on getting healthy and back to our pre-Thanksgiving weightloss plan? The plan is to move, drink our water and eat healthy again. We can do that!!!

Kandice, a new challenge after this one is a great idea! Let's think of a special name for it.

Bonnie, I'm not sure about the calculation, but shoot for 170--like you said--then see how you look and feel. You are doing a great job!!

Janet, I still can't see your pictures, but thank you for trying. Congrats on drinking more water! I aim for at least 8 glasses a day, and I feel a lot better for it. Good luck to you!

OK, ladies, let's get busy this week! We can do this!!
(Hugs),
Dena
Den@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 10:56 AM   #122  

good idea dena, for bonnie- shoot for 170 and see... I'm very happy with myself now at 185 for 5'10- after all it's 20 lbs lighter than what I was. but I know that in March 2003 I weighed 178 so I want to get to that. and then I remember that even then I wasn't honestly happy with myself or how my clothes fit.

I can truly say though the weight loss has increased my self esteem wonders. Like I'm accomplishing what I set out to do. I may weigh more- but I am happier. (I want to weigh less though and be happy still)

It has also done wonders for our relationship. before I felt like we were just going through the "married life" actions and not really living- just sitting together on the couch getting fatter. I'm more confident and it helps us alot to be able to get out and do things.

name for the next challenge... hummm... "weight wilting away for the wedding!" other suggestions? "I do... say goodbye to the extra weight!"
KandiceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 03:15 PM   #123  

Good afternoon, everyone.

Sorry for my lapse in posting. We had company Thursday through Sunday, and I haven’t had much time to do anything. Now the company is gone and so are most of the leftovers--which is saying a lot, because I cooked a 24 pound turkey.

I did okay, eating-wise. I enjoyed all the wonderful food that Thanksgiving has to offer, but I never pigged out completel. The result: up 1 lb from last Monday. I’m confident that by the time we officially weigh in next Monday, I will have lost that plus a pound or two more. I am really ready to get back on my diet today.

Kandice, congratulations on reaching your goal! You deserve those new size 14 clothes.

Janet, welcome to the group.

Dena, I’m so glad you enjoyed your Thanksgiving dinner at Lawry’s. It’s always so much fun to get dressed up and go to a special restaurant. I haven’t had time to put up my Christmas decorations yet, but I’m getting very excited about it. A lot of our neighbors hung lights over the weekend, and when I took a walk last night, the houses looked so festive.

May we all have a good week.
Florafae
Florafae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 05:03 PM   #124  

Hi all...yep, Thanksgiving food bad. I am planning to work hard this week to have an excellent weigh in next Monday! Welcome to the newbies and good luck to all!
Shelbi99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 06:33 PM   #125  

Florafae, I'm glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. And I'm glad to see you here again. We missed you! Wow, you cooked a 24 lb. turkey?! I'm impressed. Yes, I too, love walking through the neighborhoods at night. Almost everyone in our neighborhood has put up lights or a tree by their window. It's all so beautiful. I love this time of year! (It is also pretty cold for us. It actually snowed little flakes for a few minutes.)

Shelbi, so glad to see you here! Did you have a good Thanksgiving? Good luck this week! We will all work hard at exercising and eating right this week. We will look great for Christmas.

Skinny, Jean, Krista, Hmodrow, DewCan~~how are you all doing?

As for me... I did my 30 minute brisk walk this morning and I just finished a Richard Simmons video. I will walk outside or in the mall after dinner. What kind of exercise did everyone else do today? Let's keep each other motivated.

Gotta run.
(Hugs),
Dena
Old 11-30-2004, 10:37 AM   #126  

I just wanted to stop by and wish everyone a great day!

Bonnie, wow, working out in the water for an hour and fifteen minutes is fabulous! Now that motivates me to work harder! Thank you for posting your exercise routine.

How is everyone else doing? Remember, less than a month to Christmas. (And 6 more days until weigh in.)

Let's keep at it!
(Hugs),
Dena
Old 11-30-2004, 12:15 PM   #127  

Height: 5'6"

Lightbulb Pictures

I just clicked on the post called pictures and the link worked fine. Maybe the site was down at the time. Try again everyone and tell me if it's working for you.

Thanks, Janet
chocolots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2004, 04:56 PM   #128  

WARNING! WARNING! If you’re eating, stop here and read no further.
I apologize that the following posting is gross, but I really need to vent a little.

What a morning! The plumbing backed up and sent gallons and gallons of polluted water pouring all over the downstairs bathroom floor and onto the carpeting in the hallway and my office. The standing water was about two inches deep in the bathroom, and I had to wade through it while I mopped it up with towels and everything else I could find. Such a mess. The worst part is, until the plumber gets here later this afternoon and unclogs the line to the street, I can’t run any water to take a shower or disinfect anything. YUK! I don’t know what I’ll do about the carpets.

Okay. Thanks for letting me rant. I feel better now. On the plus side, I am so thankful that it happened today and not over the weekend when the house was filled with company.

Also on the plus side, I have absolutely no appetite! In fact, at the moment, I’m thinking I may never eat again.

Hoping tomorrow is a better day,
Florafae
Old 12-01-2004, 08:22 AM   #129  

AWWWWW Flora- hate that it happened to you- if it's any comfort it happens to others too... perhaps Chris' story will cheer you up!

the first time Chris met my parents was scripted from "meet the parents". He never had been on a plane before. Somehow when I bought the tickets, they never assigned us seats, when we checked in- they gave me a seat but not him, so we had to see if anyone would give up their seat for him. of course we weren't sitting together so I had to ask if someone would change with us... the layover- the 2nd plane was late getting in and delayed us leaving....

then we get to my parents house. they have a finished basement with a sump pump to pump the sewage (toilet and shower) water up to the street. it used to do it automatically but the sensor broke so we need to pump it by pressing the button on it for it to go up to the street. the toilet downstairs runs a bit, and everyone knows you have to wait for it to stop- well, everyone but Chris and we didn't think of it. Chris comes back upstairs and we're talking with my parents. a few hours later my little bro went downstairs to play on the computer- he screams up- DAD!!!!! there is easily an inch or more of water in the bathroom and the sump pump room (my dad's workshop) my dad gets the shop vac and vaccums up as much as he can (clearly memorizing every detail so he can proceed to tell it to all future grandkids and everyone else)... oh man- what a mess- we still laugh about it now- and Chris to this day whenever we visit never has used the downstairs bathroom again!

Have a great day!
Old 12-01-2004, 10:10 AM   #130  

Good Morning, Everyone!

Florafae, I'm so sorry you had such an event. But like you said, it's a good thing this didn't happen while your company was here. What a mess! If it's any comfort, a good friend of mine went through the same thing recently. And all the water works messed up a lot of things that she had. I guess she had to clean for days. But now everything is back to normal, and you'd never know anything happened (except for some lost items).

Kandice, that story about Chris was very funny. Poor guy! You're right, it looked like out of the movie, "Meet the Parents."

Bonnie, good for you!! Walking in the mall! Getting those cals burning. Forget the 2 lbs. Keep concentrating on getting healthy and better habits.

As for me, yesterday I did a Richard Simmons video twice, used my weights and then walked in the mall in the evening. You'd think I would have lost weight or remained the same since Thanksgiving, because I didn't feel I did badly this year. But to my horror, I was up the 3 lbs. that I lost! Now this calls for drastic measures! So today I'm going to only eat 1,000 cals. Wish me luck that I can lose these stupid pounds, because I really feel discouraged. I just don't get it! (OK, I'm not a victim here. I just have to be more determined.) Just like you Bonnie, I have to concentrate on getting healthy and better habits. It's easy to say and hard to do! But we can get there together.

OK ladies, let's keep at it. And let's keep encouraging each other. We can do this!
(Hugs),
Dena

Last edited by Den@; 12-01-2004 at 10:12 AM.
Old 12-01-2004, 01:35 PM   #131  

Well, the house reeks of Clorox, but things are more or less back to normal today. Thanks for the sympathy, everyone, and I loved the sump pump story, Kandice. What a great group this is!

Dena, the laws of thermodynamics are on your side. It takes 3000 calories to add one pound of fat. So, unless you consumed an extra 9,000 calories during the past week, there is no way the three pounds you’re seeing on the scale is fat. It has to be new muscle, water retention, or a little of both.

Bonnie. Walking, water aerobics, working out with weights--Good for you! I’m impressed you’ve already started mailing packages. I haven’t even started shopping yet.

I was thinking this morning that regardless of what shows on the scale, I am definitely living a much healthier lifestyle, thanks to the Merry Christmas Challenge.

Happy Trails,
Florafae
Old 12-01-2004, 03:37 PM   #132  
A Mom

S/C/G: 227/206/147

Height: 5' 2"

Hi all
sorry i' ve been away so long. I was on a medical/vacation trip for a while. I was up when I was back and was discouraged, and have been avoiding you and the scale. Now it's Dec 1 and it's time to start again. So here I am. I'm avoiding the real scale for another week.
Diana
DewCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2004, 10:38 AM   #133  

Good Morning, Everyone!!

Yesterday I did my Richard Simmons video, drank my 8 glasses of water and ate only 760 cals. And today I'm down 2 out of the 3 lbs. gained. Yaaaa Hooo!! Thank you, Florafae and Bonnie! You were both right.... it must be part water retention and muscle. It's funny how that scale determines how I feel. I must remember I am eating better and getting healthier. I'd like to try to do the same today, so I will get rid of the other pound and maybe lose a little for Monday. Here goes....

Bonnie, congrats to you on losing a pound. Doesn't that feel great?! Thank you for all of your encouragement. We shall get through these next few weeks in flying colors! And good for you for going to water aerobics during this chilly weather! Again, you are an inspiration!

Florafae, so glad things are getting back to normal... especially with the Christmas stress approaching of getting things decorated and buying Christmas presents. Thank you, too, for your encouraging words and laws of thermodynamics. Your kind words help keep me motivated.

Diana, so glad you are back with us. You will get those pounds off before you know it. Stick with us, girl. We are all going through the same thing after that big holiday. I understand completely when you say you want to avoid the scale. I hate that thing.!

Hope you all have a great day!
(Hugs),
Dena
Old 12-02-2004, 11:10 AM   #134  

congrats dena for getting 2 of the 3 lbs off.... sure you'll get the other one off today.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:21 PM   #135  

Good morning all.

The Christmas temptations begin. Last evening my Danish neighbor brought over a made-from-scratch German Chocolate cake dripping with pecan frosting and still warm from the oven. This kind and generous woman is a dessert goddess. She even makes her own homemade French pastries: éclairs, Bavarian creams, you name it.

My family dove into the cake with great gusto. Eventually the aroma overcame me, and I weakened and had a small piece. (Yes, it was to die for!)

So, all morning I’ve been trying to think of a better strategy for handling the barrage of Christmas food gifts that will be passing under my nose during the next few weeks. It isn’t an easy issue. For some of my relatives, especially the older ones who are on fixed incomes, sending homemade Christmas cookies, peanut brittle, fudge, and other assorted goodies is not only a tradition, but the only gift they can afford. It means a lot to them to be able to give something that everyone will enjoy. I know that if I asked them to not send food, or to send healthier food, they would be hurt.

Another big factor is that weight gain is not an issue for my husband and sons and they LOVE the Christmas food gifts. I don’t keep a lot of sweets around the house during the rest of the year, so they really look forward to that aspect of the Christmas season. I know they would forego the nuts and goodies and toss them in the trash if I asked them to, but I wouldn’t feel right about it.

What I will do is ask my family to keep the goodies out of sight (no plates of brownies on the kitchen counter). Do any of you have other ideas or suggestions? I will need all the help I can get.

Trying to stay strong,
Florafae