New Year, New Goals, New Me - week 36

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • And a very early good morning to you all. I am doing a third shift tonight, so thought I would get the thread started while I had the chance.

My goals for this week, well - weekend really, is to adjust my attitude. I have gotten very sour the past couple of weeks. YEs, there has been stress at work, but stress is a part of life. I need to learn better ways of dealing with it. I do not want to be a negative, glass half empty, sort of person. So, the goal for this weekend is to think about what has been going on in my life, and figure out a better way of coping with it, instead of getting angry and eating.

Here's to a good week, for all of us. I hope everyone enjoys the weekend.
  • Hi, everybody -

Sorry for not posting again, but at least I wasn't away as long as before. Things have been crazy, but I guess that's more usual than unusual. Went on a nice vacation with the family, too.

My weight has been going the wrong way for a few months now and I topped out at 253 - almost 20 pounds higher than where I was at the beginning of the year and about 35 pounds higher than I was at my low mark in the early spring.

So, I went to Weight Watchers this week. I really like the new Core program and have been following it without difficulty. I am optimistic.

The good news is that I went to the Dr. a couple weeks ago and the blood counts are all looking good and my blood pressure is low. My weight has not caused serious damage - - yet.

Everyone enjoy the holiday weekend and be well

Dan
  • Good morning all. Welcome back, Dan. I am glad things went well for you at the doctor, and that you are takiing steps in the right direction.

I am trying to relax this weekend, and get rid of my attitude problem. I have been letting things bother me at work that I shouldn't, and getting very sour about it. So, I need to get the chip off my shoulder. I had a good time visiting friends and a new baby on Friday. YEsterday I did some shopping with friends, then spent the day on the lake. Beautiful day. Beautiful weather. I even tried inner tubing. I didn't like the feeling of no control though. I'll stick with being in the boat or water skiing. I like control. My eating isn't too bad, as I am only really eating 2 meals a day. And being very active.

Here's to a great week. Take care all.
  • A day at the lake sounds like a great way to relax. It is cloudy and cool here - not much of a day for "last weekend of summer" type activities. I hope tomorrow will be better; we're having friends over for a cookout. I still have to plan the menu for that.

Do you find that having only 2 meals/day helps? I find that I do much better spreading out my food over many, smaller meals.

I am sticking w/ the new WW Core plan without much difficulty. One of the trickier things, for me anyway, is that the plan has no measurements or limits - you eat as much of the permitted foods as necessary to achieve "comfort." The big challenge for me is to recognize that I've reached that limit and stop. But, I suppose that is a necessary skill for weight maintenance, so best to learn it now. For the most part, I've done ok.

Without doubt, I think this is the most nutritionally sound diet I've ever been on. I'm anxious to see my results come Wednesday.

Dan
  • Hi Jolly and Dan,

Okay, so Dan, I changed to Core last week also. I was very skeptic about it, as I was afraid about portion control--that is my big downfall. I'm a binge eater. So, I was at 226 last Wednesday morning, and I weighed this morning and I am down to 217. Just following Core and doing the right things. I am finding it very easy and not eating too much. I hope you have as much success. I am hoping to keep it up for a good weighin in two days.

Jolly: Hope your attitude is better. That really surprises me, as you have been so positive this last while. I hope things settle down and de-stress for you.

I'm just plugging along, getting ready to pay bills, and having a nice diet Coke with lime this morning.

My goal is still to have that 9 pound gain off by Wednesday and nothing more. If I do have more than that gone, then okay, but just want that surgery weight off of me.

And the positive thing about me for this week (remember we are doing that) is that I am a great mom. Just love spending time with my son and seeing him growing up. Trying to treasure these moments, as he gets older it won't be as easy for him to let me hang out with him!

Happy Monday!

Chach
  • Hey all. I have been making bad choices this weekend. I have been overeating badly. And I missed my workout today. Not good. On the plus side, I did get the dogs to the dog park for the first time all summer. Between Justin's knee and the weather, this was the first time it really worked. I am going to try and get there 1-2 times a week until the snow flies. I really want to be a better dog mom.

I need to make better food choices this week. My weigh in should be horrible tomorrow. Makes me not want to go. Sigh. That's what I get. But I know I need to go, even if it is bad. I need the reinforcers to eat right.

Have a good one all.
  • Hi everyone

Hope everyone had a great long weekend.

Weather was not great here.

Chachee and Dan what is the core plan and how does it differ from what ww plan you were doing before?
    Jolly, what is the difference between tops and ww?
    Audrey how are you doing?
    I do think that there are a couple others on this thread also...Hello to you!

Well sorry that I have been missing for so long, but I have had a busy summer. That and at the end of July I had a motorcycle that was travelling at 140 km come through my driver side door as I was going 20 turning a corner. Yes it was his fault as he was behind me. He was going so fast and come upon me so fast he says he doesn't even know what happened. Both truck and motorcycle are too damaged to be fixed. The 19 year old had just bought the bike 2 days before the accident. I have been comforting myself with food. So now I have got to get my goals in line to start losing what I have put on.

Must run and I shall try not to stay away to long.
  • Hi, all. I'm posting at 3:30 a.m. - - I've been having trouble sleeping the past few nights. I think that it is all of the goldenrod pollen floating around; my allergies have really been acting up. I took a claritin yesterday morning, but I'm not sure its doing much for me at this point. I'll hold off on the next dose to be sure that the next one gets me through the night.

Another problem, to be sure, is I've been running to the bathroom - always a good sign that the weight is coming off, I suppose!

Sleep deprivation aside, I had a great weekend. The whole family went to the gym on Sunday. Yesterday we had friends over for a Labor Day cookout. I stayed on program without too much difficulty. I decided not to drink, and it didn't bother me much that everyone else had a few beers.

Chach - I'm glad to hear that the Core is working for you so far. I am really very impressed with it. I think it is the most nutritionally sound diet that I've seen. I was also worried about the bingeing, but none of my trigger foods are Core foods. There have been times when I've felt a compulsion to eat when I knew I really wasn't hungry. Thus far, I've been able to resolve it by limiting myself to core foods in relatively small quantities. I'm anxious to see my weigh-in results on Wednesday.

Jolly - I'm glad that you're not making my mistake and staying away from this board when things aren't going well. I know that I would not have falled as far off track as I did if I had followed your example.

Lucky - That kid is lucky to be alive. I do not look forward to my kids reaching that age. Did you catch the news reports about 2 years ago that the portion of the brain that assists in decision making is not fully developed until the mid-twenties? Apparently, biology just doesn't permit self-preservation to be much of a factor when younger drivers make their choices. Anyway, I hope you weren't injured too badly.

Regarding the Core plan, WW offers it as one of two plan choices. The other plan is the "Points" plan that they've been doing for quite a while now.

The Core plan is really quite a radical change. You receive a list of "core foods" that you should limit yourself to. There are no portion limits on those core foods - you eat as much as necessary to feel "satisfied."

Generally, the core foods consist of non-fat dairy, lean meats, all fruits (but not fruit juices), vegetables (including, starchy vegetables), whole grains (but not bread and cereals are limited to puffed cereals or all bran w/ no sugar added). Healthy oils (e.g., olive and canola) are not only permitted; 2 tsps/day is required. Some foods (e.g., ground meats, bran cereal, potatoes) are limited to 1 meal per day. There are also guidelnes regarding minimum servings of dairy and fruits & vegetables. You may eat non-core foods, but you need to determine the points for those and limit yourself to 35/week.

The idea is to eat whole foods that are nutritious and high in fiber, and to limit saturated fats, transfatty acids, and empty calories. The diet is very similar to SBD, but it does have a few differences. It has more structure than SBD (which I like). It also does not distinguish between higher glycemic foods within permitted categories - so carrots are treated the same as cabbage, and watermelon is treated the same as strawberries. Although, this is still my first week, and there may be nuances that have not yet been disclosed. I wouldn't be surprised to receive suggestions to favor certain of these core foods over others somewhere down the line.

My goal for this week is to just stay on the program.

I guess that I was AWOL when it was agreed that we'd state something positive about ourselves each week - I think that is a great idea, although it is a little uncomfortable. But, following Chach's lead - I'm a great Dad. That was my greatest ambition in life, and I reap the rewards from achieving that goal every day in the form of the joy that I get back from my daughter and son.

Have a great week

Dan
  • Hey all. Not a good report this morning. I gained two pounds this week. I need to start caring about what I eat - only fuel my body with the best. I need to have a better week. I need to face the scale at TOPS tonight too

I am not going to go back. Not to eating badly all the time. NOt to my previous weight. Not to my old clothes sizes. That is not who I am anymore, or where I want to be.

here's to a better week.

Lucky - glad to see you back. I am glad you weren't seriously hurt by the motorcycle accident. Yikes!!! TOPS is similar to ww, except they don't have a set diet plan to follow. Work on learning healthy eating and exercising habits. Lots of support and contests.

Hello to everyone else
  • Hi Everyone!

Dan, I would explain the Core program, but you already did quite nicely! The only thing I would really stress is that you can have anything you want, but you only have the 35 points to limit yourself per week. That is significant, for anyone who is used to doing WW points program. You really have to watch the frozen entrees and treats. I've gone back to eating salad for lunch, instead of frozen meals. That helps with sodium anyway!

Lucky: Glad you are back, but sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you are okay and you can join back with us!

Jolly: Keep repeating that--"I'm not going back". 2 pound gain isn't a big deal, unless you have a couple of them in a row. You have done amazingly well, and just remember that you have the tools and the willpower, just put it in high gear.

Hi to Connie and Chequita.

Okay, we talked about determination and willpower last week in our meeting. You know how all of us are stubborn? C'mon, admit it! Well, my leader said that being stubborn is just like determination, and you can turn that "won't" power into "will" power.

I'm going to work on that this week. I think it's a good thing to work towards. I'm going to be stubborn in a good way, not a bad way!

Happy Tuesday!

Chach
  • Tuesday 9/7
    Hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend. I am on vacation this week; no plans, just getting ready for a yard sale this weekend. I am planning to do some shopping in or around Nashville on Thursday; may through the Gaylord Opryland Resort. But I need to buy new clothes so I will probably shop instead.

My WW group did not meet yesterday so I plan to attend a meeting in another city this week. I hope to have lost some of the 8 lb gain from last week.

CHACHEE AND DAN - Regarding the new WW plan, I am going to stick with the flex points for now; I am a binge eater and I'm not ready to handle the core plan just yet, I know I will get into trouble if I don't weigh and measure my portions. I also want to ask my dr about it. I also like knowing I am not limited to what I can have.

JOLLY - I have been where you are the past week or two; I know it's not easy to get psyched up again and try to deal with BS at work. Hopefully having this week off will help me.

LUCKY - I hope you weren't seriously hurt and that you're doing okay. Glad to see you back with us.

Catch ya'll later.
  • Hey all. Just have time for a quick post, to report a STRAAAAAANGE thing. I went to my TOPS meeting tonight. NOw remember, I had a 2 pound gain on the gym scale this morning. I weighed in - AND HAD A 3 POUND LOSS. I have no idea how. I was the loser of the week, plus the loser for the month of August, and got my ten pound loss pin.

I don't know how this happened, but it sure motivated me in the right direction. have a good one all.
  • WTG, Jolly! Home scales are notoriously unreliable. I've been getting on everyday but still really don't know what to expect today, when I have my first WW weigh-in after starting the program last week.

I'm also a binge eater, Connie. So far, no problems. I think that is because the "trigger foods" aren't core foods and, as Chach correctly points out, the non core foods are quite limited. I've heard that a lot of people are sticking w/ points but trying to use them more on core foods. But, you should definitely stick to what works for you. I like the fact that you can switch between plans each week. I fully plan to switch to points in order to get some more flexibility on weeks when I have real challenges. Although core is much easier to follow, it does not give you the same flexibility.

Chach - I find that I'm using most of my points for light bread and english muffins and Slim a Bears! I have not had difficulty staying within the point limit. I didn't have a beer during my Labor Day picinic - - but I could have. It felt empowering not to, quite frankly.

One of the truly surprising things about the plan is that it discourages purchase of the WW food products.

Wish me luck this morning - I'm hoping for 5 lbs (if only every week were the first!)

Dan
  • Hello Everyone!

Jolly: Big congrats!!! Way to go on all your TOPS accomplishments. You did so well! I'm so glad you are a loser. I'm glad this motivation has helped you and your funk you are in. Let's go for two months in a row!! Great job!!!

Dan: I am very surprised about the WW meals also. I find that I am now eating more salads and soups for lunch as those are more Core foods. Bums me out, as I have a freezer full of the entrees!! I don't mind using points on those, though. Most of the ones I buy are only 4 points anyway! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you on your weigh in today. Be sure to let us know how it goes for you.

Connie: I am also a binge eater, but haven't felt the urge to do so on Core. I was even eating pizza this weekend and stopped after one slice because I didn't want to waste the points on it. Now, I am sure there will be times I do want more than one slice, but just haven't felt it this week. The foods on Core stick with me a lot more, it seems, and I have only heard my tummy growl once this week!

I am taking a friend out to lunch today. Not usually my Wednesday routine, as it's my weighin day, but I am going to take her to Applebees. They have great salads there and also I could get a chicken breast with steamed veggies if I want. I'll have to check it out with Core in mind.

Happy Wednesday!

Chach
  • Good news from weigh-in - lost 5.6 lbs

Chach - regarding those frozen entrees - - if half of the ingredients constitute core foods, can't you do an estimate of the point total of the non core? I think that we'll be seeing WW change their point total on their food products that way soon enough.