3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Support Groups (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups-122/)
-   -   ISO support to lose 50lbs...any takers? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/support-groups/45344-iso-support-lose-50lbs-any-takers.html)

skinny_butt 09-09-2004 01:01 PM

Hello, everyone!

Hope everyone is having a good health day. I wanted to report that I weighed in last night and I'm at 213! Four little pounds to my half-way goal! WOO-HOO. :dancer: Love getting healthy!

I've joined a program at my YMCA called ready to be fit. I don't know if it's a nation wide thing or not but I'm loving it. I started once before but had to drop out to deal w/my mother-in-laws death and my DH's resulting depression. :( But I'm back on track there as well as exercising in the morning. With Ready to be fit, you commit to three times a week, 30 minutes each visit. It's a twelve week program and for the first four weeks you concentrate on cardio, second four weeks-weight machines, third four weeks-free weights. You are assigned a personal trainer who encourages you and pushes you when necessary. If you have a local Y-ck it out. I actually started out w/20 minutes each visit but plan to be at 30 by the end of my first four weeks.

Reds-most YMCA's also give scholarships to single parent homes. It would be a great way to get your kids involved right now in being healthy. I rec'd a scholarship for at least 3 years while I worked my way through college as a single parent. Might be worth investigating.

Everyone hang in there! It's worth the effort!! :)

Reds2004 09-09-2004 08:02 PM

First of all, I have to start by welcoming Trish. :wave: I know it may sound strange, but since joining this site, I've found people who know me, without ever knowing me...you know? It's hard to put into words but there's no way I would've found this kind of encouragment in my "real world" suroundings. I honestly hope you find all these things to be true for you as well, and I look forward to being part of your support system for as long as you need me. :cp: I'm sure I speak for the rest of the ladies as well! We're in this together! :grouphug:

Now skinny...CONGRATULATIONS! :bravo: :dance: :dancer: :high: I am so happy for you! That program at the Y sounds great. I'm glad you found a way to have fun exercising (I always find excuses not to go once I get bored of my routine, and I know I'm not the only one!). Also, thanks for the info on the scholarship. I will definatly look into that.

As for everybody else...weigh in on the 15th! I'm sure you are all staying focused and making good choices!

I just got back from a walk around the block that turned into 4 times around the block :dizzy: It's funny how I'll start the walk with just my kids, and by the time we're ready to head home, I have to drop all the neighborhood kids off at their houses on the way! What can I say...I'm the neighborhood mom I guess. ;) I welcome the extra exercise though, after all, it's benefiting me in the long run! Point is, I'm beat so hi ho, hi ho, it's off to pass out in my nice comfy bed I go. Goodnight ladies! I'll check in again tomorrow...of course!

tiredoffat 09-09-2004 08:58 PM

Hi all - Trish your weight loss was great. Just remember you're not back up to 206 and you're ready to start again - less to lose. This site will really help.

Great news skinny!

Reds - I like your walk around the neighborhood idea - that might be the right idea for me to get started since I'm still having trouble working the exercise into the hectic routine. Saturday I'm swimming the 1/4 swim as part of a triathlon team - one other member is biking and the other is running. That should be interesting and it's exercise - hopefully I can fit in the walk/run/jog on Sunday.

Good day diet wise though. Thanks everyone for all the encouragement!

vonvonnie 09-09-2004 09:02 PM

hi everyone! i am new and hopefully will be a frequent poster! I have come to this site many times, just browsing around, and now, it's time for me to take some action & lose some weight! I also have around 50lbs to lose, i am at 205 today and hope to go down to a realistic 160, and an optimistic 140 by this time next year!

let's see.... i'm 27, and i am So overweight it's crazy! (i am 5'6, so i carry it well...) i dont have any children yet, but before i get pregnant i want to be in good shape! i wouldnt mind being this weight if i had something to show for it, besides just pure not taking care of myself. i've never ever been one to work out OR watch what i eat, and i was fine up until i graduated college, then i gained like 40lbs the first year, and finally went up to around 170. It's taken about 3-4 years to get up to 205, actually... in the last year i've gained most of it, eating out at my job like i'm still young, and not being active. so, i've gained about 20lbs this year. :(

anyway, my friend started weight watchers last month, but now has found she's pregnant & is giving it up, so i've inherited her books, and i'm determined to try this, but i need some help! i have the worst eating habits ever, and dont cook like i should... but next year and my last-friend-to-marry's wedding, i am gonna be a size 10! to me, i dont care how much i weigh... i am more focused on how i look. i've never been a true scale watcher, and i dont want to become one now.

hopefully, i can find a high-weight loss buddy and take this thing one day at a time!

skinny_butt 09-10-2004 10:13 AM

Good morning, everyone

Trish- I ready our post yesterday and completely forgot to welcome you! I'm sorry! Anyway, welcome! I'm thinking of you. You've gone through some major changes recently, haven't you? Well, don't be too hard on yourself over your weight gain. Just focus on getting back on track. You're not the only one on this board who has had to start over! I know b/c I've BTDT. ;) So, just do your best, relish your victories, large and small and let people know how your progressing and when you need encouragement. Like Red said, we're all in this together. :grouphug:

Von-Welcome to the board! I am doing WW as well. I love it! It's really about learning how to make healthy choices instead of restriction. You can have anything you want as long as you give it the proper points. There are actually some days when I have trouble using all my points! It was a little hard at first but after a few weeks, you'll pretty good at estimating points and will know how to make good choices. I did have trouble w/snacks, though. I thought as long as it was within the points, it didn't matter what kind of calories it was. Well....I was wrong! For me, anyway, it does matter! Too many sweets, even if it's within my points, are not good for me! WW has awesome and easy recipes as well. That helps a lot. you said you don't like to work out. How about starting w/just taking an evening stroll around your neighborhood? That might be a good place to start. Let me know how I may best encourage you. Just focus right now on getting started!

Well, ladies-I upped my workout time at the Y by 5 minutes yesterday. You wouldn't think that 5 little minutes would make that much difference but it did. I had to have my DH give me a push out of the car this morning (after the car stopped, of course :D ). Well, at least I know I got a good work out yesterday.

Big praise report-my DH went on a job interview today and GOT THE JOB! YEAH. He had been working two part-time jobs, one third shift and one day shift-which puts quite a crimp on family time. Now, he has a Mon-Fri, 7 am-3:30 pm! This is literally an answer to prayer! WOO-HOO! :dance: :sunny:

Reds2004 09-10-2004 10:31 AM

Way to go Vonvonnie! This is a great first step. I'm sure you've read our posts so you know you're welcome to join in with us if you'd like. Believe me, it's hard for all of us to make good food choices (especially when we're at work or around people who aren't trying to lose weight) but we just have to take it one day at a time. I know that sounds corny, almost like we're in an AA meeting! But it's true. I've slipped up (and still do slip up) but these ladies are so great at picking me back up and reminding me that there's always tomorrow. And I do the same for them when they need it. I encourage you to visit us often and lean on us when you need to. I stop in here everyday, sometimes I even post twice a day! I use this site for motivation and to keep me on track. When life gives me a reason to head for the Oreo's, I grab a bottle of water and come in here until the urge is gone. I hope you can find this to be true for you as well. As for WW, I don't know anything about it, but I'm sure someone in here does. And Penny always posts great menu ideas. I look forward reading your posts in the future!

Tiredoffat...good for you! I'm so glad you're going to work the walk into your schedule. I would advise against picking up the neighborhood kids along the way though! :) And that triathlon sounds like a lot of fun. Let us know how it turns out, won't you?

As for me, I just got back from my WJR and I feel fantastic. I am breathing easier during the running and I'm able to finish faster as each week goes by. I'm going to have to start going farther so I can get my hour of exercise in! But the best part about this week has been, even though I have my period, I haven't had any cramping. Great for me because, normally, the cramps are pretty steady and quite painful throughout the duration of my period. So that in itself is a reason to keep running (at least this week anyway!) :).

Okay ladies, I'm off to prepare for yoga. Weigh in is only a few days away so lets stay focused on our goal! Have a great day!

Reds2004 09-10-2004 10:39 AM

Skinny...I didn't forget about you, I think we were posting around the same time because when I started typing, you hadn't posted yet, but once I submitted...there you were! So, of course, I had to come back and say...CONGRATULATIONS! With that new job, you'll have less things to stress over and, as we all know, stress=weight gain so the less stress the better! YIPEE! I'm so happy for you! Congrats on the extra time at the Y too! It's going to get easier and easier for you each time you go. You'll be doing a half an hour like it's nothing in no time! Good for you Skinny!

Okay, now I need to get ready for yoga! Have a great day!

skinny_butt 09-10-2004 10:48 AM

Thanks, Red. It will relieve a LOT of stress. I don't know how people handle a third shift job as a way of life.

I have a silly question: what is WJR? I know it's something to do w/jogging but can't fill in the blanks! I've seen it several times and can't figure it out. Whatever it is, congrats on finishing it! :D It sounds like you're doing well with everything.

I think that a woman's period gets easier when we're taking care of our bodies. I know mine isn't as bad as it used to be w/cramps. Anyway, have a good yoga class.

Reds2004 09-10-2004 08:13 PM

WJR=Walk, Jog, Run. I do all three while I'm on the trail (I jog, then run to get my heart rate up, then I get tired so I walk, then I jog again, then I run...ect ect) so it can't be classified as a "walk" or a "jog" or a "run" because it's all three so, after typing walk, jog, run about a million times, I finally just started typing...WJR. Simple yet confussing to anyone who has no clue what the heck I'm talking about :).

As for current events, I just dropped my boys off with their father so I'm alone all weekend. Hopefully I won't turn to food because I'm lonely...I may be in here a lot to avoid that! On the other hand, there's a guy who keeps calling me wanting to go on a date but I've been blowing him off...not sure why. I was trying to avoid the whole dating thing until I felt more comfortable in my skin, but I have made some progress which has given my confidence a boost soooooooooo maybe I'll let him take me out. There's an interesting story behind this one and I'm going to tell it...feel free to ignore me if you'd like. :)

I met this guy on the internet, just a friendly thing, we emailed a few times, exchanged pictures, no big deal. Really nice guy (but who knows right? Anyone can be anything they want on the internet). Anyway, one day about two months ago, my tire blew out on the highway while I was on my way to pick up my boys from their father's house. Well, not even two minutes after I pulled over, here comes a Jeep. Two very attractive men with oh so sexy southern accents get out and ask if I need help. Of course I say "yes" (who would pass that up?), they changed my tire, I gave them a $20 and that was that. But the whole time one of them was staring at me with that "don't I know you from somewhere" look. I was doing the same, his face looked so familiar but I just couldn't place him. So, about a week later, I get this email from the guy I had been talking to on the internet. He wrote: "I know this is going to sound strange. But did you have a flat tire about a week ago on the highway?". I just about fell out of my chair. It was him! It turns out, I broke down right before before the exit where he lives. So wierd. We've talked on the phone a bunch since then and he keeps asking me out but I keep making up reasons why I can't go. So, to make a long story short (too late), maybe I'll call him back and see what he's doing this weekend.

Okay gals, that's it for me...for now! I'm going to soak in a nice hot bubble bath!

chubbylady 09-10-2004 09:47 PM

Good evening all - :wave: Welcome to Skinny, VonVonnie, Trish and anyone else I forgot. I went to the doc today, not very encouraging news. Put me on 3 new meds to see about controlling my migraines :stars: . Will be seeing the spine doc later this month. The good news about the new meds are they also make ya lose weight...

I have been doubling up on my exercises from PT and walking 3 miles a day. I wish I could run, but don't believe my neck, back or head could take it. But the important thing is, is that I am still exercising. :workout:

It appears that most of the ladies here have been having great days - it's terrific to hear. Reds - enjoy the peace and quiet - try some yoga, read a good book To funny about the internet guy... you'll have to keep us all updated.

VonVonnie - you are taking some great steps towards a healthier you. Smiling will help ya get through some of the rough times. :D

Here are somethings that have helped in staying on track:

1. I make an extra serving for dinner - I make it into a frozen dinner, so when I don't have time to make dinner, I can grab this, tose it in the oven or microwave. Keeps me away from fast food joints.

2. Always keep water in the frig - when I get tempted and go to the frig, I see that bottle of water and grab it instead of who knows what.

3. Always have fruit on hand if I want something sweet.

4. Always have sugar free fudgecicles on hand for those chocolate cravings

5. Remember laughter is an important part of life - keeps you young and young at heart. :lol:

Ok enough preaching from me. Menu today:

Egg beater omlete w/cheese and mushrooms
V8 Juice
Grilled chicken salad
fruit - strawberries, raspberries and kiwi
Grilled shrimp, veggies and brown rice
128 oz water
diet sierra mist
sugar free fudgecicle

Have a terrific evening ladies. Hugs, :goodvibes Penny

Reds2004 09-11-2004 12:50 PM

Good afternoon ladies! In case anyone is wondering, I spent last night watching a movie instead of raiding the fridge. I love movies and normally I have a big Cherry Coke and some popcorn and some Goobers (love those) but I was good and choose just the popcorn and water instead ;) . I went to the gym this morning and did an hour on the eliptical and an hour of circuit training. I was in no rush to leave, I don't really have much to do today except put another coat of primer on the drywall and get ready for the electrician. I haven't called the internet guy (a.k.a. "night in shining armor") yet, maybe I'll do that today too. :shrug:

Penny, sorry to hear about the bad news from the doc :( . At least the upside is they may help you lose weight, that's a plus. I'm glad to hear you're walking everyday! You don't need to run to benefit from it. Just walk a little faster and you'll still burn calories. Good for you Penny! :cp:

As for everyone else...stay focused! Weigh in is only a few days away! 9/15!

P.S. Anyone on this site who lives in the United States...Consider turning your headlights on today, in rememberance, while you're out and about. It is 9/11 and even though it has been 3 years, no one should forget that day. Just a thought.

:wave:

tiredoffat 09-11-2004 05:38 PM

Hi all - Lots of great news on this site. Welcome Von! You're starting at about the same weight I started at. I started at 210 and am waiting to find out what I weigh no on our weigh in date on the 15th - Last weigh in I was eight pounds down at 202 - that was about two weeks ago. I'm calorie counting for a diet - it's similar to weight watchers in that I can eat almost anything but I have to stay in my calorie limit. I almost only eat healthy, good foods because if I eat anything else I starve and I want this to be a lifestyle change not a diet! Good luck and keep posting.

Penny'Skinny - thanks again for more great ideas! Good luck Penny with the headaches. I'm glad you went to the doc.

Reds - a couple of my divorced friends have had really good luck with computer dating. Like you, they started slow and cautiously but they've met nice men. I think your story is so wonderful - almost like it's meant to happen.

Now for the triathlon - it was GREAT!!!! I've always read that it's good to have a goal for your workouts and that races of all kinds are good goals. Well, I did the 1/4 mile swim in the ocean for a tri team. My niece (10 yrs old) did the run and my brother-in-law did the bike. (my husband, son and sister each did the whole swim-bike-run) When I started training I could hardly swim ten laps. A quarter mile is about 18 laps non stop. It was hard, but I did my best and it was lots of fun. Plus I was surrounded by many, many fit, healthy people - great inspiration. My next goal will be a short race at Thanksgiving time. I'm going to start my training tomorrow with wrj. Most places have Thanksgiving Day races of some sort so if anyone else wants to do that too, let me know - Reds, you're already on your way for something like this.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. For those weighing in on the 15th we've only four more days to go.

tiredoffat 09-11-2004 06:01 PM

Can't resist. I just checked the "cool running" web site - it lists races all over the country. I picked a 3.5 mile race that I'm going to train for. The race occurs on 11/21. It's close by. I think I can do it. Any one else interested in finding a race in their area? Take care. - Tiredoffat and psyched to get rid of it!

Reds2004 09-12-2004 01:45 AM

Just got back from my date and wanted to stop in and say hello. Everything went wonderfully. He's very nice and we got along well. We made tenative plans for next weekend so we'll see how it goes. I did whoop his butt at pool 7 games to 1 (and, I have to admit, I let him win that one:) but he doesn't know that). I had two beers, bud lights, which isn't good for the weight loss plan but hey, everybody needs a night off...right Penny? :) That's it for me girls, I'm beat. Weigh In day is only...three days away!

Reds2004 09-12-2004 10:58 AM

:wave: Good morning ladies! My plan for the day is...continue renovating and then head to the gym for a couple of hours :tread: . Exciting stuff huh? :rolleyes:

Tiredoffat, I was too tired to respond to your post last night/this morning but I do want to say :high: WAY TO GO! :cp: 18 laps! That's terrific! You set your mind to it and you did it! Woooooohoooooo! :yes: Good for you! Plus, it sounds like you had a lot of fun. Good job! :bravo:

I'll definatly check out that website to find events in my area. Thanks for the info!

Okay ladies, I'm off to burn some calories. :coach: Can't slack off now, it's almost weigh in day and I have two budlights :cheers: to burn off! :strong: Have a great day everyone!