Old 11-15-2004, 10:20 PM   #286  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi all,

It's been a long, blah day. I really do hate to go to work. I don't hate the work, I just hate to go. I wish I could work from home - I'd probably work harder. Anyway, I think I'm PMSing because I'm in a bad mood for no reason. I think that makes me even madder. I'm craving chocolate and found a cure for that. A tablespoon of choc. chips. The semi sweet chocolate kills the craving and it's only about 70 calories. Regardless, I've had the craving for two days straight and I don't even like chocolate all that much. It's got to TOM.

Even though I have the blahs, I did exercise. I danced with Richard Simmons and was sarcastically mimicking his comments. I admit it did make it more fun.

I'm supposed to work on glass tonight and I don't want to. So I could play with my knitting machine and I figure it won't go right and I'll get irritated at it. All right, I'll stop whining. Tahks for letting me, though.

My diet is going good even with the craving. So, next time one of you craves chocolate, try the tablespoon of chocolate chips. It really works. I don't want anymore of anything. That's sort of cool.

Skinny, excellent job on the missing pound. Don't you love when they go away?
TOF, it's pretty fun to go shopping when you've lost weight, huh? Way better than when we had to go to get bigger clothes. I never want to do that again. I was planning on keeping all the old clothes but now I'm thinking about giving them away. If this is a lifestyle change, then isn't it counter productive to keep the old lifestyle? What do you guys think?

I'm small boned so I can go pretty low without looking wilted. I'm at 189 and am a size 18. I don't think it'll be anytime soon to get to the 16s. I do wear smaller sizes if the waist isn't fitted. It's not like I've got a big belly, it's more that I go from ribs to hip bone in the same inch of space. There's barely any waist there.

Okay, I think I should thank you again for letting me moan and groan today. I feel better having typed out how stupid it is to be in a bad mood for no reason. So I'm going to work on glass and finish the panel since I could use the money. Talk with you tomorrow.
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 09:51 AM   #287  

Default Good morning, ladies

Hope everything is going well. Things here are good. Went to the Y last night-35 cardio and 25 weights. I almost didn't go but since I didn't exercise Sunday figured I needed to get off my butt and moving! Walked 35 minutes this morning and will try my best to get to the Y tonight for 30-40 minute cardio. Eating has gone well. I probably had a few too many carbs yesterday but not worried about it. There are some days I get hardly any carbs so I'm hoping it all balances out on the end!

Marie-Sorry to hear you're having a blah day. At my house, we call them Eeyore days. I hope your day gets better. I understand about not wanting to go to work. It's a gloomy old day here and I'd rather be at home in bed reading. Oh, well-like I tell my kids-you don't always get what you want. As for clothes, I donate my "fat" clothes the minute they get too big-or I get too small! For me, it would be too tempting to start letting things slide if I knew those old clothes were there. Get rid of them, girlfriend-replace them w/new, styling clothes. I guarantee you you'll have fun!

TOF-Isn't it exciting to be buying new clothes?! I love it when I have to do that. I'm doing a lot of consignment buying right now-I won't feel so bad when I have to get rid of them b/c they're too small if their consignment clothes. I think I'll buy some new exercise clothes w/the bet money my sister owes me (we had a bet about who could lose the most weight in 6 months-I won-she owes me 50 bucks!) and maybe a new scale. Mine has certainly seen better day.

Well, gotta run, ladies. Have a great health day! Take care of you.
skinny_butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 10:04 PM   #288  

Hi all, really hungry today and overdid it, but at least I overdid it with healthy food and no binging. That will happen. I think I'm due for TOM too. Everyone, including the professor, was kind of grouchy tonight at my course - they've all had it. I've finished all the most difficult assignments. A few shorter ones to go and one big day of reading in December. Then I'll be done. I can't wait. Tonight I'll plan out the remainder of the course and get ready to start exercising and living a little too. Take care.
tiredoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 11:12 PM   #289  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi all, it's another lack luster night for me. I have things to do but no desire to do anything. So I'm reading the journals and the forums, using the site to keep me in line. Do you ever do that - read other's posts to keep you motivated through a munchie attack? I do, quite often. I credit all the users, you guys especially, for any success I've had. Instead of eating I read. Pretty simple diet plan, I suppose.

Skinny - those clothes will be on their way to the salvation army this weekend. Thanks for the permission to get rid of them. I think my hubby wants me to keep them since I've been known to gain the weight back, but he'll support giving them away - especially since it'll be tax time soon.

TOF - you're almost there. Keep plodding though it and you'll be done before you know it. What's the class you're taking (if it was in an earlier post, I probably missed it - I admit I didn't read all 20 pages of posts before intruding).

Skinny - WTG on the exercise. You're doing enough for you and me. Thanks. Do you ever worry about getting burnt out by exercising so much? Whenever I exercise daily and a lot, I burn out quickly. I'm trying for an okay amount (every other day) to see if I can keep it up. I don't know, exercise is the hardest part for me. I just don't like to do it. The only exercise I've ever liked in my whole life is rollerblading and skiing. Now that I'm older, both are starting to seem a little dangerous. Falling sounds painful. Anyway, I dance with Richard, but I have to drag myself to it. I know that the experts say to find an exercise you like and stick with it. I just haven't found it. Do you two have any unique ideas I could try?
Old 11-17-2004, 10:02 AM   #290  

Well, I've been at work 30 minutes and it's official: I hate my job today! Aauugghh! Now, I can take correction and constructive criticisms but not snide remarks. I prepared an agreed order per office mgr request and gave it to ofc mgr to review. She made changes, brought it back to me and said-where are you this morning cause you sure aren't here. What really bothers me is the things she was fussing about were things she DID NOT tell me to do! Oh, well. I've vented (thanks by the way for listening) so time to forget it and move on. Sometimes this place makes me crazy!!

I didn't go to the Y last night. Stayed in w/my family instead. I also made a WW apple pie that was fabulous! I stayed w/in points and I did walk yesterday morning. DH and I are going for a walk after church. We usually walk about an hour.

Marie-I don't know what to tell you about exercise. I really enjoy it. It's my "me" time. It's no one but me and God-I listen to cd's a lot while I'm exercising. It's gets me up and going in the morning and I miss it when I don't get to exercise. Maybe it would help you to find an exercise buddy. I know you have us and that's good but we are not physically close to you. Does your son's girlfriend live close by? Maybe you could ask her to help hold you accountable. They say 30 minutes every other day works wonders. Just some thoughts. You're doing great so just hang in there! You can do it! I'm rooting for you!

TOF-isn't it good to see the light at the end of the tunnel? Just makes you want to exhale, doesn't it? You're going wonderful handling all the pressures of the many roles you're playing. And you're already thinking ahead about getting back on your exercise routine. I think that's great!!

Well, I just made fresh coffee so I've got to go! Maybe that's why things hit me wrong this morning-hadn't had my coffee yet!!

Ladies, have a great day. Thanks for listening to me rant and rave! I appreciate you more than you know!! You're both angels in my book!
Old 11-17-2004, 07:50 PM   #291  

Hi Marie and Skinny, good to hear from both of you. Marie, do you think you might be tired. When I get tired that's how I feel. Sometimes I feel that way just before I start something new too. Have you tried music with your workouts. Like, Skinny, the music totally motivates me. I just started listening to broadway tunes (I know its geeky but I love them). Those tunes immediately relax me in the car - I like to sing along. During workouts I generally like rock and roll. My swears by having a workout partner - my life is so people intensive, that it's not for me right now, but she couldn't live without her partners for exercise. Good luck with what you try and let us know. Oh, one last thought have you gone to rollerblading rinks. I've gone a few times recently and really enjoyed it. To answer your question, I'm taking a research and practice in reading course. The information about reading fueled by brain research has grown tremendously, there's lots of new info about teaching children to read and understand what they read. It's actually quite exciting and as I put it into practice I've been noticing that my students are making great connections, liking reading more and choosing fabulous books to delve into - so there's a big payoff for the rigor of the course. I appreciate all your support.

Skinny, glad to hear that I'm not the only one who hates my job once in a while. Work can be an intense environment with all kinds of energy at play. You can always vent to us. I have the sense that you're a super worker who likes to do an excellent job so I can imagine how you felt when the boss made that comment. I like hearing about the time you make for you and your dh, I really want to build some of that time in. I have a loving dh who've I've known for 25 years and been married to for 16 years - I can't let the time pass without spending some quality time with him.

Thanks for being there everyone. My starvation of the past few days have passed and I'm back on track. Take care.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:51 PM   #292  
Lifelong Journey Member

TOF and Skinny, thanks for your words of wisdom on exercising. I have gone to a rink and rollerbladed, but I tend to run people over because I go too fast. Mostly now, rollerblading is a distant memory. Falling scares me, but I go occasionally. I can tell I'm getting older. My joints in the last year or so have started to get sore - especially my hips. Then Goldilocks (my golden retriever) tripped me last March and I fell on my shoulder. I still have pain in it even after steriod shot and physical therapy. So before I was a little scared of falling, now I'm really scared and learning to stop my fearless ways. I never thought I'd get hesitant downhill skiing, but I am now. I used to rollerblad down hills full speed ahead without a second thought. Not anymore. I grew up somewhere along the line. Anyway, I appreciate the idea of an exercise buddy. I live far from everyone, but I can get company occasionally. Mark (my son) rode the exercycle while I dance to Richard tonight. It was really nice. I wish Cathleen (Robert's girlfriend) lived closer because she'd keep me company everyday. I'd be so fit.

TOF - that's just really cool that you're finding a way to improve reading with your students. That's not an easy thing to do. Our district depends way too much on the computer for reading improvement (Accelerated Reader). I think it probably does improve comprehension, but because scores are so heavily relied on, I'd think the fun would be taken out of reading. Also, the kids have to read a book on the AR list and one that we have a quiz for. Anyway, you can probably tell I don't particularly like the program (and not because it is a program that I manage district wise).

Skinny - the boss was being a jerk. Talk about not being there today, she was the one who'd left the room. Definitely you can vent to us. Someday my job will irritate me to no end and I'll need to vent too. I think that's what is so great about this board. It might be public, but it's pretty private and safe.

I had a good food and exercise day. I'm no longer PMSing and am back to normal. What a relief. That was really weird for me, usually no PMS. I sure didn't like it. I feel that by the time I weigh in next Tuesday, the regained pound from MN will be gone and maybe a little more.

I talked with my mom tonight and she is doing really good. Thanks again for all your good wishes. That meant/means a lot to me. Talk to you tomorrow.
Old 11-18-2004, 07:37 AM   #293  

i am 17 years old and we dont have much in common except for our weight. i am 50 pounds over weight and i feel like i have noone to turn to. i just dont feel like i can do anything about it. my mother just nags about how much i need to lose weight and how fat i am. when i look in the mirror i dont think that i am fat. but then i see pictures of me and i just cant believe how unattractive i am. i am there for you and i understand.
tutt0122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2004, 09:52 AM   #294  

Well, how is everyone? I'm at work and haven't bitten off any heads so far! Yesterday, as you know, was pretty stressful and busy-not a good combination. But today is a new day. The sun is shining. I am making coffee. I'm listening to Switchfoot. I'm healthy. I'm loved. How could I ask for more?

Thanks, again, everyone for listening to my rants yesterday and for the words of encouragement and kindness. Much appreciated!

Yesterday went well, food and exercise wise. I made a broccoli/cheese soup to eat w/our sandwiches. The soup was a hit. We always have sandwiches on Weds b/c of church. So, I thought some soup would be nice w/it as it's turning off cooler here. (52 this morning) I walked w/DH for an hour after we got home. Again win/win situation-exercise and time w/DH. We also have a date for Saturday night. Nothing much just time alone together.

Marie-I hope you find the exercise program that works best for you. Do you have any public walking tracks? One of ours has a walking club that meets and walks together. That might be worth checking out. Also, do you have a rec department? They usually offer great exercise classes at very reasonable rates. Just experiment until you find what works for you. Remember, you've got some pretty good cheerleaders on this board! Glad to hear your mom is doing well. Keep us updated.

TOF-sad, isn't it, that the school is responsible for teaching the children to like to read? *sigh* When I was little, I read b/c I'd been read to since I came into the world. My mom instilled a love of reading in me for which I've always been grateful. I've passed this on to my DD's-especially Ashley Rachelle-my youngest. She'd as soon read as eat! But, if this job is going to fall to the school, I'm glad there are teachers like you out there who care about their kids and want to see them succeed. I think our society is so saturated w/quick/easy entertainment that we've forgotten the value of curling up w/a good book. The greatest entertainment system in the world is the human brain! I love to read books and imagine the characters, places and things in the book. Rainy days are my friend b/c I love to read on days like that-and drink hot tea. Wonder if there's any rain in our forecast?

Tutt-welcome to the board. You are young but, as far as I'm concerned, you are welcome. It makes me said to hear you say that you see yourself as unattractive. We are all beautiful in our own ways. For example, I really like my hair and my eyes. Find something postive about your appearance and appreciate that thing. Also, remember that no matter what society says, beauty, true beauty, comes from within. It comes from the things that make you who you are. It comes from the sparkle in your eyes, the kindness of your words and the gentleness of your touch. It took me a long time to realize this and I wish I had learned it at your age! Have you been to a doctor to evaluate your weight? That would be a good place to start. Get a professional opinion. There's nothing wrong w/the desire to be healthy but seek a doctor's opinion before you start any program. You may not be as unhealthy as you think. If you decide you want to be healthy, start w/baby steps. Start taking steps instead of the elevator, start walking for 15-30 minutes every other day. Start turning down desserts and/or second helpings. You don't have to jump in head first! Take you time and find your place. Having said all that, tell us a little bit about yourself: what grade are you in? Do you have any hobbies? Favorite music? Family dynamics? Listen, kiddo-you are beautiful to your Creator and you are beautiful to me.

Ladies, have a great day. Be kind to yourself. We're all doing well so keep hanging on.
Old 11-18-2004, 09:29 PM   #295  

Hi all. Tutt, I agree with Skinny - I couldn't say it better. Feel free to talk and vent here if you'd like. My mom nagged me when I was your age. It would have been better if she supported me in finding some healthy activity like swimming, running, joining a team or bike riding. Do you have any health clubs, healthy activity at school or in your area that you can turn to for this journey to a healthier you. You're at a great age to start a healthy lifestyle for the rest of your life. Welcome!

Marie, I'm glad you're feeling better and managing to exercise. I hope to be joining you too. Keep us up to date.

All is well here. I'm looking forward to the Thanksgiving break. bye!
Old 11-19-2004, 10:43 AM   #296  

Default Definition of beauty

For attractive lips, speak words of kindness.
For lovely eyes, seek out the good in people.
For a slim figure, share your food with the hungry.
For beautiful hair, let a child run his fingers through it once a day.
For poise, walk with the knowledge that you never walk alone.
People, even more than things, have to be restored,
Renewed, revived, reclaimed
and redeemed and redeemed and redeemed.
Never throw out anybody
Remember, if you ever need a helping hand,
You'll find one at the end of your arm.
As you grow older, you will deiscover that you have two hands:
One is for helping yourself, the other is for helping others.
Audrey Hepburn
Old 11-19-2004, 02:14 PM   #297  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi all,

Weekend is almost here and I can almost taste it. Today is a busy day at work, but the time seems to be crawling by really slow. That's sort of odd for me. If I'm busy, usually the day flies by. I can really tell I want weekend to be here and leave work.

I remember my mom trying to be supportive of a diet but I just didn't care when I was younger. It definitely affected my life, but I was so active and busy, I didn't care. Once I reached a point where it meant everything to me to not be fat is when I lost all my weight. It was interesting living life as a thin person for the first time. There were parts I didn't like but overall it was great. I learned who I was and grew up. Then came the realization that it was still me, whether I was thin or not. That's when the weight started to creep back on. It took 8 years to regain 60 pounds, but I did it. Now I'm losing the weight for a different reason - I don't want to get diabetes. My grandmoter and sister both had/have it. If there's anyway that I avoid getting it, I will. I'm very dedicated to losing the weight for good this time. I'm older and wiser... I hope.

Today is an exercise day and food wise, all is good. The stained glass panel is done and just needs the balance paid for, then it will be on it's merry way. That means I will be able to play with my knitting machine without any guilt that I should be doing stained glass. Also, I'm making a howling wolf in glass so I get to work on that again. That'll be fun. Making the bulldog wasn't as much fun because it isn't something I'd choose to make. I'm a Husky dog fan so the wolf isn't too much of a stretch.

That's about it from here. Everything is going good and I'm over my slump. Take care and I'll chat with you tomorrow or tonight.
Marie
Old 11-19-2004, 07:07 PM   #298  

Hi Marie and Skinny,

Marie you remind me so much of a good friend of mine. She's always creating works of art like you. I like hearing all about it. Your reason for loosing weight is a very good one. Health is the big reason I'm trying to lose weight too. I feel so much better lately with this weight off.

Skinny, words of wisdom are always welcome. I'm going to copy those words from Audrey Hepburn and really think about them. Beautiful, wonderful words. I found out that I passed a big test today - teacher related test. I was so happy and relieved. I thought now I have to begin living a more loving and giving life. Now I have more space to be more giving and loving since I don't have to worry about the test and the course is almost over. Those words will help me.

Have a good night all. I continue to stick with the healthy eating and look forward to the days of steady exercise to come.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:26 AM   #299  
Lifelong Journey Member

Good Morning Skinny and TOF,

I hope your weekend is going to be great. I just love the quiet on Saturday mornings when I have a quiet house and a weekend to look forward to. I have so many things I want to do and if I get none of them done, I'll still have had a good weekend. I just love Saturdays. Now, Sunday nights, that's a different story... But this next week is short - I only work on Monday and Tuesday so I can handle that.

I weighed in this morning even though I told myself to wait until Tuesday - I have TOM and then I had Pizza Hut (salty) for dinner last night (I fit it into my calories so that wasn't a problem). Anyway, I stayed the same. So I'm hoping that on Tuesday there will actually be a loss. I've been at the same weigh for a month now and I'm tired of seeing that number. Always relieved it isn't going up but I want it to go down.

TOF, I had to laugh at the comment of steady exercise. I always plan to exercise and something always breaks my pattern. First it was taking care of my mom, and this week it was helping build a new server at work. I worked late two nights - both I planned to exercise. But after an 11 hour day, I was exhausted. Now I'm behind again and have to start over, which I will do today. I just thought of all my good intentions and how something always knocks them off their pedestal. Maybe you'll have better luck than me.

Well, that's it for this morning. I will talk with you all later. Enjoy your day.
Marie
Old 11-20-2004, 10:31 PM   #300  

Hi Marie and Skinny, Marie it's good to hear from you. I too love Saturday mornings and I love having my house to myself. I have many interests like you and I also simply just like to think a lot and write about my thoughts. Went shopping tonight - that's a good way to get motivated for weight loss. I've been slipping with the calories lately so that shopping trip helped me to think about getting back on track. I'm going to make a holiday plan for eating and exercise now that my course work is a little less. I bought a suit to wear for special events in the next few months. After that I'll hopefully be at my goal weight (by spring I hope) and then buy some spring clothes for my new size. I think my bigger clothes will be ok for the winter. This is a fun problem to have!

I hope you see some change on the scale. I'm not too motivated to weigh myself since I don't think I've lost since the last time. I feel a bit fatter and I've been eating a little more. I'm going to build in some incentives to stay on track this month. . .let's see I've got to get back to the rewards I gave myself when i started like a nice bath, time with the children etc. I need to reframe. Have a good night.