Old 09-23-2004, 12:20 PM   #136  
aint misbehaving

S/C/G: 194/ 189 / 145

Height: 5'6

Hello Ladies
I'm new to this site, just signed up this morning after reading post for a couple of weeks. I love the support you all give each other and I need it too. I will start back on WW Sat. morning and am looking into Curves for exercise. I'm currently at 183 the heaviest I have been in over 12 years. Don't know about you guys but the extra weight has cause my body to ache, everywhere. I HAVE TO GET IT OFF:
I'm a stress eater and 5 years ago my husband was diagnosed with Parkinson's, he had already has a number of other phycial problems. I have to take care of my health so I can care for him and my 12 year old son. Needless to say, to fill loss I have in slowly losing my husband, I eat too much, on Fridays(my night to chill out) I drink too much wine and for me if I drink I smoke, :smoking" (stopped smoking in 96 but can now smoke once or twice a week with no desire afterward). In these past 5 years I have gone from 146 to my current weight, 183. 14 of those pounds have been in the last 8 months.
You all have really inspired me, and I may not wait until Sat. to start WW, I am a life member and know the program, just fell off the wagon!
Looking forward to getting to know you all,
Brenda
aint misbehaving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 02:24 PM   #137  

Default Welcome, Brenda!

Glad to have you aboard! It's good to see that you've decided it's time to take care of yourself and you are definitely at the right place to receive encouragement! Like you, I kinda lurked around the board for a while before registering. The only regret I have is that I didn't join sooner! This forum is great and the whole site is a wonderful tool.

Sorry to hear about your husband. Sounds like you certainly have a lot of stress in your life. Is there anyone else who can help you? Thinking of you.

Be sure to let everyone know how things are going. Let us know when you need encouragement or just an ear. You're on the road to good health and it will be bumpy but everyone here will help make it as smooth as possible.

Again-welcome!
skinny_butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 06:58 PM   #138  
I'm working on it

Default Welcome Brenda!

Hello Brenda! Welcome to our little group of ladies who are determined to live healthier lives. We've lost a few along the way but the ones that are still here are focused and ready to reach our goals! So if you're looking for support, there's no place better than here! I can relate to the body aches you described. The extra weight definatly makes simple day to day seem so much harder. I still have to switch from my WJR to the eliptical because I don't want to put too much stress on my knees.

As for the other major turmoil in your life, I know all too well about the effects of Parkinsons . My Pop Pop (father's father) struggled with it for many years. He passed away on February 26 of this year. He was a very strong man and survived into his 80's, I pray your husband gets to enjoy even more happy years than that. We'll be here when you need us.
Reds2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 08:45 PM   #139  

Hi Brenda, welcome! Like you, I was really taking comfort in food which made me gain about 50 lbs in the last five years or so. At the start of the summer I really went wild and gained even more, that's when I knew it was time to stop or else I just wouldn't be healthy at all and I was starting to feel very bad about myself.

Since coming to this site (my lifesaver in a sea of fat!) I've really started finding other ways to comfort myself when stressed out. Coming to this site instead of eating has really helped. When I first started I was posting as much as five times a day, still on weekends or other stressful days I just post and post. People on the site are so respectful of my need to do this and so tremendously non judgemental and supportive.

I never think about what people on the site weigh, I just think of their losses and our shared journey toward a healthier, happy lifestyle. I'm delighted that you will be joining us on this journey.

Skinny - you have a good attitude! That's great your husband recognized that you've been working out so much and pointed to that as a possible weight gain reason. Also our bodies are so unpredictable - one week of my diet I gained a few pounds and then a couple of days later I was down about five. Our cycles affect this too. I'm sure you'll see a loss next week. Thanks for all your support.

Great job working out today Reds - you're amazing! Your body must be feeling really fit these days. That's terrific. Weigh in is only 8 days away, that's motivation. I haven't even gone near a scale since the 15th. I suspect my loss won't be as dramatic this time as I haven't been exercising as much and simply don't feel that much less, but I'm in this for the long run. I will stick with this until I reach my goal and afterwards to maintain it, because I'm determined to be healthier and stronger.

As for me, my life has been crazy busy this week with unexpected obligations toward elderly parents, soccer games, football games, cross country races, a new car (hopefully this one will work a lot better than the last two). . . I've managed to stick with the healthy eating - yeah!!!! but have had trouble keeping up with the exercise, hopefully I can get back on track this weekend. At least two times is better than the 0 times I would have done last spring.

Tonight I made homemade applesauce - yummy! low cal - no sugar or anything additional, the apples are sweet enough. I also cooked butternut squash - really healthy and I skipped butter. I've really become used to skipping butter and other high-cal additions.

Take care everyone!
tiredoffat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 08:22 AM   #140  
I'm working on it

Mmmmm butternut squash and homemade applesauce. Two great healthy choices ! Don't worry about missing some exercise this week TOF, you'll make it up. This is a process and we'll all hit some bumps along the way. You'll recover, don't you worry about it .

I had some ex drama last night and even though I'm ashamed to admit it, I turned to food for comfort . I was fully aware of why I was eating but I kept right on doing it. I stumbled. However, I will pick myself back up today. I am heading to the gym as soon as my oldest son gets on the bus and I'll be back on track. Obviously I still have some work to do regarding how his words continue to effect me. Hopefully, next time (because there will be a next time) I'll handle it a little better. Only time will tell.

So that's it for me ladies. Weigh in day is almost here! Let's stay focused and make healthy choices!

Have a great day everyone!
Old 09-24-2004, 12:02 PM   #141  
I'm working on it

Hello ladies! I just got back from the gym and wanted to log my DET.

1 hour eliptical
1/2 hour circuit training

I'm off to work! I'll stop in again tonight. Have a great day!
Old 09-24-2004, 12:31 PM   #142  

Default Good morning, everyone

I must say that I'm feeling good today! Upped my exercise time at the Y by another 5 minutes last night. Again, wouldn't think 5 little minutes could be so looonngg! I also did pilates this morning-feeling good! Oh, and I am wearing a LARGE size tee-shirt today-NOT an XL! So, progress is being made! YEAH!

DET: 35 minutes yesterday, 30 today (so far-may go to the Y later this evening)

Thanks for your encouragement. It helps bunches!

Have a great health day!
skinny_butt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 04:12 PM   #143  

Hi, I am brand new to the site...like 17 minutes, to be exact. I also have a 50 lb goal. I'm a 37 yr-old stay at home mom, three kids, only one home now. Hubby of two years next month. I would LOVE to have some buddies for this endeavor! I tend to fall victim to eating disorders, so am hoping this site and members will help me lose in a healthy manner. I can only pop in about once a day ( I work from home ), so email buddies would be awesome! Looking forward to getting to know everyone!
dedesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 09:55 PM   #144  

Hi all. Welcome Sue. Sue, everyone here is really working toward healthy lifestyle changes - lots of exercise and lots of healthy food. It will be great to hear your ideas, progress and stories.

Reds, your ex can really push your buttons! I know this is a common, but frustrating phenomenon with divorce. Perhaps you could read a book or something about this to help you live through it - I can only imagine how tough that can be. I'm sure you more than compensated for your comfort eating by working out the next day. Your workouts are awesome and inspirational, not too mention that they are probably really good for your emotions too. Just think only six days until weigh in. I have no idea what the scale will say. I had a good day eating wise, but still didn't manage to fit in the exercise - my days are really over full these days. Today, for example, I went to school at 7 and worked until 3:30, p/u one son at school and brought him to the ortho., then picked up another one and went to the ortho to wait for an hour, then traveled to the third son's soccer game and watched a very good game for a good hour, then stopped for subs (I had a veggie sandwich on pita - fairly healthy) and went home and now I'm typing. I'm not looking for pity, but this weekend I'm going to reframe my goals (not weight, but exercise) for the days until this course is done in December. I think the course is tipping the scale for me, but I know it will be worth it in the end if I finish it. Take care.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:56 PM   #145  

Hi Skinny, I just wanted to add that you're doing great with your workouts! I'm storing away all that inspiration and will get back to exercising in some way or form. Take care.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:58 PM   #146  
I'm working on it

Hello ladies!

Great job Skinny! Fitting into the "L" now, way to go! All your hard work is paying off, that is really great. I also think it's super that you increased your workout time! You're doing great!

TOF, If you need to adjust your goal, I'm all for it. If it's too stressfull right now then just focus on fitting in a little exercise whenever you can so, once December rolls around and you don't have that class anymore, you can hit the ground running. You have been working really hard and everyone here is proud of you. You lost 17 pounds and I think that's amazing. It will all work out fine. We'll still be here when you need us!

dedesue, Welcome! I'm thrilled that you decided to strive for a healthier life. And you've come to the right place for support! These ladies are great. I know you can reach your goal and we'll be here to help you along. You can do it!

Okay ladies, I'm beat. I have tons of renovating to do tomorrow so I guess I should get to sleep. Goodnight all!
Old 09-25-2004, 12:23 PM   #147  

Hi all. Reds, good luck with the renovating. Are you redoing an old home? Is it a new home for you? Just curious. We have a lot of fix up work to do at our house. I think it's a good way to get some exercise and make your home nice. How did you learn all the skills to do this?

Good start to the day. Lots of cleaning and shopping to prepare for out of town guests tonight! I'm having a brunch tomorrow rather than a dinner. I find that brunch lends itself to a much healthier early in the day menu so I'm going to make a big fruit salad, egg frittatas, green salad (all good for me too) and then I'll also have an ice cream birthday cake, and some sweet breads for everyone else. I'll probably give in to a virgin bloody mary - lots of healthy stuff without the alcohol. Take care all and have a good weekend.
Old 09-26-2004, 09:31 AM   #148  
I'm working on it

Goodmorning everyone! I just wanted to pop in and say hello.

TOF, to answer your question I was my father's little helper since the day I was born! He was a great teacher. Everything from tinkering with a car, fixing the lawn mower, renovating the house, installing new shingles on the roof, you name it he showed me how to do it. I knew the perfect cement to water ratio by the time I was 7 for goodness sakes! It didn't matter that I was a female, I wanted to do whatever he was doing and he let me learn. So as an adult, all of that knowledge has stayed with me and, I must say, comes in handy!

Okay, I'm out of here. Today is a relaxation day. I think I'll take my boys hiking at the park, or maybe a bike ride. Then watch the football game! How are you ladies spending your Sunday?
Old 09-26-2004, 05:02 PM   #149  

Hi all - after a busy week and company this weekend I'm exhausted. I'm just going to let myself relax tonight and get back on track tomorrow. Not a great eating day, but not an awful one!

The hike sounds like fun - enjoy!
Old 09-26-2004, 07:23 PM   #150  
I'm working on it

My boys and I went for that hike in the park today. We hiked about 2 miles along the river and did some hill and rock climbing. It was alot of fun. A perfect way to relax and spend some quality time with my children. Plus I got some great pictures of them at the waterfall (actually a dam, but they call it the waterfall so whatever ). All in all, a super day.

I got some great feedback last night when one of my best guy friends picked me up for a ride on his motorcycle. He noticed that my pants were really loose and asked me if I'd lost weight. Well, of course I told him yes and he said I look great. He and I grew up together (he lived right across the street and is a year younger than me) so he's seen me at my best (high school) and at my worst (the past few years) so to hear that kind of response from him...it really felt good. Just thought I'd share!

I hope you gals had a great weekend as well! Weigh in is not too far off, just a few days to be exact. Let's stay focused ladies! We can reach our goals! I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to changing my long term goal again! It was 180's by 12/31, now it's 170's by 12/31 but if all goes well I might be able to squeeze into the 160's by then (even if it is 169 )! If I'm at least at 180 by Thursday, I'll be well on my way! I can't wait! I'm going to send Christmas cards to everybody this year instead of finding excuses not to ( I told a bunch of people that I lost them last year. How pathetic is that?). I just didn't want anyone to see how big I was, I was so ashamed of how I looked. But this year will be different. My smile will be genuine and I'll be proud to mail them. Thanks for helping me find the strength ladies. Thanks for being there every step of the way and supporting me. I still have a long way to go, but I know I can make it. I only hope I'm doing as much for you as you're doing for me. We can do it!