Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 08:52 AM   #31  
Empress/Queen

Yo! E, am in agreement on The Firm!!! for your good day!!! Huzzah!

Am off to burn cals at gym, with a hope of 160 for 40 min ). Again, I just use an average of 4 cals per minute for everything, actually, I'll be burning more if I jog.

Thursday's Calorie Target: 1700! I can do it!
Old 07-15-2004, 10:05 AM   #32  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 236/236/166

I came in at 1100 calories yesterday.... which is great for me... Sounds like everyone else is doing well too.

For exercise I went to water aerobics, but I think that may have been my last class... I only go so my sister will do SOME form of exercise, but we are both starting to really dislike the class. We started out loving it, but it getting really blah! Like the teacher doesn't try anymore

Today is going well I guess... I'm under 200 calories for the day so far, but it only just after 10 am, so who knows how the day will shape up. I'll check in again later!
Old 07-15-2004, 01:36 PM   #33  

Default Hello, Everyone. New to 3FC

Hi!

Sign me up!

I've just recommitted to calorie counting, the ONLY way I've ever lost weight. I'd like to take off 7-10 pounds, and stabilize my calorie intake at about 1300 calories a day. At 5'2", I gain weight if I eat much more than that.

So far so good (as of yesterday and today). Hopefully I'll have some weight loss to report next week!

Cheers,
Jennifer
Old 07-15-2004, 02:59 PM   #34  
Empress/Queen

Hi, Jennifer!!!! Glad you've chosen to join us and I'm in agreement with your point about calorie counting ... it's the only way I've ever lost weight either! I took the liberty of clicking on your profile and see you want to lose approximately a pound a week ... that's my preferred rate also ... I used to have a mantra: "I will lose a pound this week, I will lose it as I sleep I will lose it as I eat, etc.!!" We can do it!

Jenn, you are such a nice sister to do water aerobics to motivate your sis!!! You're doing great!

Huzzah, all! I'm pledged to brevity and will be back with my report!
Old 07-15-2004, 04:24 PM   #35  
One step at a time...

Thanks Amarantha! I'll make sure to let you know how my weigh-in and measure goes on Saturday

Welcome Jennifer! (Nice name btw ) I am sticking to 1000-1200 calories a day myself until I make it to my goal, then I will slowly increase to 1500-1600 a day for maintainence.... I'm 5'10.5" so I think that should be a good number to maintain with... You sound like you are no stranger to this, I was wondering if you think that's a good number? (Not that I have to orry about that yet, as I have about 20# to go!)
Old 07-15-2004, 05:42 PM   #36  

Hi Jenn,

I'm not really an expert (if you even meant me to begin with!). But I've used lots of different web sites that calculate daily calorie requirements/basal metabolic rates, and they usually fall within 100 calories a day of each other.
Assuming no activity whatsoever, a woman of your willowy height at your goal weight requires 1,612 calories a day (Basal Metabolic Rate according to the Discovery Health website). So eat less than that, and you're losing weight, plus all the calories burned in exercise.
1,000 cals a day for a person your height seems a bit extreme to me. But, then again, I've almost no willpower. Current wisdom tells us not to eat less than 1,000 cals a day, or we risk going into starvation mode and then our bodies work AGAINST us losing weight.

Congrats on your fabulous progress so far!

Jennifer
Old 07-15-2004, 08:00 PM   #37  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Hanging out before a meeting and can't stay off web! Hi, guys!

Jenn, sorry to nib into the conversation but I agree with Jennifer. I lost more than 100 pounds on a weekly average of 1800 calories and I'm only 5'5" ... all nutritionists, docs, etc., have advised me never to go below 1500 calories for the same reasons Jenn cited. I took the liberty (I'm sorry, I'm fanatical about this stuff) of plugging your numbers in the Harris Benedict formula, which is what I use. I just guessed your age and activity level and it puts you at a base rate (maintenance) of 2145. That's not so different from the formula Jenn used because I put you in as moderately active because the weights on your sig indicate you might be lifting weights. If you want to lose a pound a week, theoretically, you'd just eat 500 less per day ... 1645 ... and voila!
Harris Benedict seems to come in a little high, though, and everyone's different, but it does seem that 1000 a day is really low for you to feel at your best and avoid slowing your metabolism.

Anyhow, I apologize for going on at length today when I'm pledged to brevity and also for chiming in with my two cents when not actually asked!

I think I shall go do my job now! Will be back one more time with a brief report!
Old 07-15-2004, 09:59 PM   #38  
One step at a time...

I came in at 1127 today.... So the concensus is that is not good? I know about staying above 1000 calories or risking going in Starvation mode which is why I will try not to go to bed with less than 1000 calories ever... Sometimes it is hard to even get there...
Old 07-15-2004, 10:00 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 240/236/150

Height: 5' 6"

Hello All:

I came in today at about 1700 calories and calories burned was about 60-75. Just a guess - went for a 40 min walk with the dog. This could have been a higher number but it's hard when he stops every 5 min. to pee & eat grass.

Lynn
Old 07-16-2004, 12:28 AM   #40  

1264 today. Better. I didn't exercise, though, except for the 5 minutes of basic stuff in the morning.
The scale this AM said 117.0. That is a big deal because I'm sure I haven't seen that number in a couple years.
Old 07-16-2004, 01:24 AM   #41  
Empress/Queen

Slightly below target at 1690!!! Calories burned in exercise 160 as planned!

Abba congrats on the good weigh-in!

Jenn: Really how many calories is enough is a personal decision and I didn't mean to give advice ... we are all different and as a wise said to me just yesterday, "to each their own!" Maybe your doc or a nutritionist could give you some guidance on whether you're eating enough. I love your giraffe picture, BTW!

Wisertime:
Old 07-16-2004, 06:44 AM   #42  
deleted2

Ended yesterday with about 1700 calories. Exercise: 20 min. pilates and 90 min. gardening.

Old 07-16-2004, 06:47 AM   #43  

Amarantha thought I'd join all of you with the calorie counting. I will start today but the clambake is on Saturday so it will be a washed out day. I will try not to be too bad but its only a once a year thing and my birthday celebration from my sister inlaw.
The calorie, fat , fiber count I think is important. I have done okay with the low carb but not great and its been really slow for me as things get added in the shouldn't. This sounds like at least worth a try for me. Do you suggest counting just calories or fats too? Let me know if you have any extra thoughts on this. Anyone with any ideas I'd appreciate them so I can get a good start.
Skyfirefly Present wt. 168.5 highest wt. 179lb. lowest 166 in the past month.
Old 07-16-2004, 09:30 AM   #44  

Wink

Good Morning, Ladies!

Congrats to all who made their targets yesterday!

Abba, congrats on the scale victory. It can be very tough to lose that last little bit of weight; I'm still trying to get rid of my last 10 pounds. Together, we are stronger.

Jenn, we are here to support you, not make you second guess yourself! Your stats speak volumes; you're doing great! You're an inspiration to me, and I wish you all the best.

I think I came in under 1200 yesterday. I had 620 calories allowed for dinner, and ate half a Chili's cobb salad (with grilled chicken) and a cup of blueberries. Since Chili's won't release their nutritional information, I can't be sure, but I think I stayed on track. Anyway, I burned over 600 cals yesterday at the gym, so I ended up ok.
Today started out fine. Last night I made low cal blueberry coffecake for a family dinner tonght. I had a slice for breakfast and then went running for an hour, even though I didn't really feel like it. Glad I did, now. The real challenge will be not blowing it tonight at dinner, where I will face all sorts of high-cal Italian food. Send me good thoughts, fellow calorie-counting goddesses!
Old 07-16-2004, 12:54 PM   #45  
One step at a time...

Thanks ladies! I think I will check with my doctor when I go on the 27th. Oh boy is he gonna love this visit as I already have several other things I want to ask him.... It should be a fun day LOL
Closed Thread