Old 07-13-2004, 05:50 AM   #46  
Leaning out of Lurkdom ;)

Height: 5' 7"

~slips back in and giving Motivation a tiny nudge~

Ladies!!! 2 count em' 2, NSV in as many days!! ~beaming over here~ the first ( having people notice my weight loss) motivated me to go and see ifn maybe....... there could be another...and yes, YES, there was!! i took my first measurements on April 18th and i just got done tossing the tape measure in the air and sat down here to tell you what i just saw......... i lost a grand grand total of 14 inches from my neck to my ankles!!!! yay me!! slow and steady will get you in that teddy!! ~laughing~

dont know if your suppose to add them all like that or not, but it sure made me feel fab! ~laughing~ not even sure i am measuring the right places or not..... did my neck, bicep, over the nips, under the swing me lows (breasts), over the belly button, around the mommy paunch, under the paunch where my hips will one day be again....... cant see them yet, but i can feel them!! ~laughing~ over the meaty rounds of the dupa, 2 spots on my thighs, the saddle bag area or as i like to call it " the lil thingie god gave me to keep my hand from slipping all the way down", and above the knee ( i have noticed thru the years that big peoples have huge knees), calves, and lastly but not leastly ankle........... greatest loss 3 inches around the belly button, and noooooooo i didnt squish the tape.......... well yes i did.....but only the first time, i knew i would only be cheating me ~sheepish grin and a blush~ and the leastest loss was around the neck and above the knee...a 1/2 off both, not combined ~grinz~

okies had to share, dashing to go try on something i havent had the nerve to do in a while........~blows them all a kiss and thinks............Yes!!~

sincerely,
sassy
sweetnsassyfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:13 AM   #47  

Default Tuesday, day of reckoning!

Well, I sit here wondering if it will be a good weigh in at my ww meeting this morning? So hard to tell as my scale and theirs are never the same and I usually have breakfast and dress (wonder what they'd think if I came in this T shirt nightgown I'm wearing?) before going.
You guys are really a together group!
Sassy, so good to hear from you again, I missed you so much. I like your thoughts as well. I'm procrastinating on several things I should do at the house and somehow time goes by and I don't get to it. Time for a "Rears in Gear Pledge"? I should TELL you all that I will, by the end of next week, get outdoors (hate this stuff with a passion!) and weed the yard and lay down bark mulch. It's actually exercise and can earn me points, but you don't see me out there doing it as I hate it so much, I hate heat and humidity and hate getting dirty. I hate bugs, so that combination kills any desire I have to work outdoors. Yet, DH is so allergic to poison ivy, he was out there working two weeks ago and is still itching a bit, gets in his blood stream, etc. I've got to don the work gloves and get my rear in gear! Anyone else willing to challenge themselves to do a detested job and have that feeling of accomplishment? Let's hope I don't be a wimp about this and actually get it done! Maybe just a half hour a day or something?
Weird thing, I hit the "post a reply" icon and then saw a few posts that I hadn't seen made by you guys before.... maybe something is wrong? Jolly said she couldn't read my post, either, so this is strange!
Raven, I like the lyrics to the Linkin Park song you posted. I should try to listen more often to song lyrics! My son saw Linkin Park with Metallica last summer and he doesn't like them. I usually get to hear whatever my kids listen to, lots of the time. Oddly enough, I do like current music and I'm the "older generation" in this family! I try to keep up with today's music as it keeps me from being stagnant! Can't listen to those "oldies" songs, even if they are stuff I like, as it gets boring and stagnant! But, I have to stop at Rap as, to me, it's not really "music". But it is good to move to if you want to exercise, I suppose!
Sassy, this post about measurements of yours didn't show up originally, now I can read it - weird. I should have taken "before" measurements and you are inspiring me to take them now, at least. I would have been so happy with what I've lost, probably more happy than I am with all the pounds, or lack of pounds. I am working so hard exercising and doing the treadmill all the time, I can tell I have really firmed up! My jeans were so tight on me, they were uncomfortable and about ready to split, now they are baggy!
Red Balloon, I am having a hard time envisioning convenience stores in Tokyo or really high temps. Guess I need to study up on the place! I envision it as kind of "stuck in time" in this Asian old world kind of thing, and not as hot as you describe. However, I do envision a high degree of high tech devises and people who are highly intelligent in a crowded city! Educate me a bit! Is the place almost all "Americanized" in some ways? Are there still great culteral things that one can experience? I need to travel a bit, one day. Have to still win that lottery so I can, I guess!
By the way, I would love to be able to start up that kind of makeover business, but I've no money to do something like that and no training. Any extra money I come up with will have to go to college educations for my kids, as they are both teens now and time is getting close. I fear college for them, as post 9/11 our mutual funds took a huge dive and we lost almost everything (yes, it was invested in Enron) and now I barely have enough to start my son off with one year of college, let alone four. We'll find a way, but starting up a business is way too risky for me right now. But, I would love the excitement!
Sorry about the chocolate postings, but have to admit that I am a chocoholic! I wonder if I can find an AA meeting type of format for this? I guess that is why I just can't be a success on low carb, as I need that "fix" each day in some form or another. Though, there are low carb "C-word" products!
Well, wish me luck with the ww weigh in later on this morning! Will post and let you all know how things went.
Linda in NH (a.k.a. Derry)
derrydaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 08:42 AM   #48  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Thumbs up to the gym and back!

Yo, folks. I did it! I actually got to the gym. It was late but I got there. I didn't jog but I got in the weight training. I've been eating but without my constant fix of "bad" carbs I just don't have the oomph that I usually do. Still, I was surprised to see that I still had a lot of power. It's the height of the bodybuilding season and I know a lot of these guys from way, way back and they're all gunning for the contests. Poor things. Dieting down like you wouldn't believe to get ripped, still working out super heavy to preserve the muscle but doing it feeling faint they say. There was one big contest Sunday and some who didn't do well looked pretty down in the mouth. I tried to cheer 'em up a bit. So that was my goodwill action of the day, both for me and them!

And, I'm feeling good because I made a decision regarding some work I do for the office from home mostly. The woman in charge has been driving me crazy with lots of emails, criticism, orders to edit things "NOW!", petty complaints, weird way of communicating (she'll send me emails on my mobile phone when I'm sitting across the room from her in the office! and never say a word to my face all day) and it was just stressing me out. So I talked to her boss and said, look, I've got to cut down on the work I do for her. I don't need the stress. He agreed that she is kind of stalker type and understood. I need the money but I realized the situation was stressing me out. Life's too short already, don't need to shorten it with this kind of stuff.

Heh sassy, I loved your post, especially the second one with the journey of the tape measure. You are too funny. And though your first post said you weren't very happy with the weight loss it sure sounds to me like you're getting where you want to go. "slow and steady will get you in that teddy!" You're too much!

Squishing the tape, oh, tell me about it. My current excuse for not fitting into clothes is that it's too humid and I'm all wet and sticky and things just don't slide on as easily. Well, there IS some truth to that but really. . . get a life!

Derry, good luck on your weighin. Maybe it's already happened by now. I like your idea of doing a rears in gear pledge. Well, I don't like the thought of doing it but I do like the idea! I'm game. And boy, do I have a lot to pick from. If you promise to lay down that bark mulch I promise to clean my kitchen floor and it is. . . oh, I don't want to even say. . .

How about it? By when?

Yeah, there are strange things going on with posts. It seems that if you post a reply you can usually then see things you couldn't before. Don't know what's up. Maybe we should alert a moderator or something.

Linkin Park, yes, that's the name my sister gave me to listen to last time I met here (last October) and we were getting smashed in a Pittsburgh bar. She gave me Rob Zombie and I absolutely love it. I didn't like it when I heard it back there but now, in Tokyo, it's just what I need. Nothing quaint or old-fashioned about Tokyo, Derry. It is a megametropolis. It puts New York to shame. I used to think N.Y. had such energy but that was only after living in Europe. Tokyo rocks. I've heard people describe the experience as feeling like they're walking through a sci-fi movie. It is bizarre and no matter how long you're here you never stop having the bizarre leave you shaking your head in wonder. Weatherwise, the Tokyo summers are sweltering. It's like walking through water with the humidity and the temperatures well over 100. The concrete radiates heat and the air conditioners pump out more heat into the air. Everybody is sopping wet and I shower 3-4 times a day. I nearly died from it when I first came here but now I'm used to it. As for convenience stores, in Tokyo they're every couple 100 yards or less. There are a lot of American chains but I don't think you could call it Americanized, though yes, unfortunately, things like fast food is here and the people are getting fat, especially the kids. Tokyo women though are known for looking hot (so they guys tell me) and they are built like sparrows. Well, there's a lot about Tokyo that I don't like that much but there's a lot to like too. It's like anywhere in the world. Good with the bad. It's very safe here as far as crime goes so that's a huge plus. Everything runs on time, ultra efficient, like clockwork. The mobs of people can get to you though if you don't learn how to space out. I'm a natural so no problem there!

You know, you could start your makeover business with just some private clients, just put up ads in the supermarkets and such. I did this as teenager for a pet-sitting business and it really took off. There are so many women out there who would love a little personal attention, someone to give them a push, someone to make them feel better about themselves, hold their bags while they try on clothes, whatever. I think you could just say, fashion/makeup adviser for an afternoon, take 'em out, take them to some nice stores, advise them on outfits etc. So many women would love this. I'm talking about a lot of lonely people sitting at home with no one to ask and not many husbands care to be dragged to the store and they certainly can't be expected to give enthusiastic advice and comments! Really, think small and I think you could have a lot of fun and make a little money as well.

No sweat on the chocolate. I was just joking, kind of. Don't forget, we're here to lose weight!

Well, gotta run. Everybody -- wishing you the best!
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 11:46 AM   #49  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Geez, how is a girl suppossed to keep up???

Good morning, my type-aholics.

I'm one sore and tired chickie today! We had dug all the holes for the fenceposts on Sunday and went about the task of puttingin the cylinders for the concrete last night and repacking the holes with rocks and dirt. Whew! I wash shoveling and raking and moving rocks from 6:00 pm-11:00 pm. I am so sore, but you know what? IT FELT GREAT! There may be a lot of rocks and dirt, but it's my dirt and rocks and knowing it's going to look so great in the end makes it all worth it.

Okay, here we go...

Linda: Good luck on weigh in today. I am sure the scales will be good to you! I like chocolate a lot also, but given the choice between chips and chocolate, the salt wins for me every time! I like the makeover shop idea. I love those shows also!

Red: No smashed fingers yet! We still have a lot of work to get done, so that is something I am sure will happen before I'm done! I'm actually quite good at working in the yard and doing woodwork. My dad used to be a logger and woodworker, so he handed down a lot of knowledge to me. I enjoy it. I don't enjoy weeding and/or mowing. Too many bugs! Surgery date is August 11th.

Sassy: WOOHOO! Two nsv's, huh? That is awesome! I did measurements when I started WW and I have to do them again tomorrow. I do them once a month just to see progress. I have a tendency to want to pull the tape a little too tight, but hey, it works! I measure 12 places. I'm down 30-some inches so far. I've missed you so much. Keep posting!

Hi Raven, Happy and Hippy!

I'm in classes the rest of the week at the Crime Lab. Palm print training. Yippy skippy. Can you tell I'm enthused??

Weigh in and measurements fo rme tomorrow. I think they will be good, as I've been working really hard at them!

Happy Tuesday.

Chach
Chachee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:40 PM   #50  

Hello all you wonderful ladies. What a crazy couple of days it has been. Invested a little more money in myself yesterday. Got a nice new haircut, and splurged on highlights, which I have never done. Must have done something as the new clothes and new hair have really gotten comments.

Linda, I really like your makeover idea. I did it because I was sick and tired of hating what saw in the mirror, and not knowing how to fix it. I don't judge others by their weight, but I do myself. I realized that there is no reason why I can't look nice now, and I owe it to myself to take care of myself a little better. plus, it is a boost to the self esteem, which I know I need.

Sassy, I like your epiphany. Welcome back, and congrats on your NSVs. Way to go.

Red, glad you got back to the gym. I noticed you wrote about "dieting down" and "getting ripped." Have you met with a dietician and personal trainer to help you devise plans to meet those goals? To help make sure you are going in the right direction?

Chachee, good luck with your fun new classes, and your weigh in.

everyone else, have a great evening, and take care of yourselves. I am off to make a salad for dinner, play with the dogs, and get some much needed sleep. I feel like Eliza Doolittle, and it has been a bit of a whirlwind. But fun. But now I need sleep.
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 12:54 AM   #51  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hi Everyone,

Welcome Linda and welcome back Sassy. Glad to see everyone back together again. Sorry I haven't posted lately, been peeking in but things have been a little crazy around here and I haven't had much time for the computer.

I agree with Raven about just needing that "right time" to come into place. Been doing some reading myself to get motivated again. Always trying something new to mix it up. Made a great dinner tonight - shrimp skewers with fresh pineapple chunks and green peppers marinated in Teryiaki sauce and grilled up. Had some brown rice and brocolli to round it out and a fresh fruit cup for dessert. Yummy, healthy and quick to put together. I am really trying hard to get a handle on the eating again. I think just like keep thinking about cigarettes - it's like I'm giving myself permission to smoke again and I do the same thing with eating. Have to change and replace the mindsets for all things that are not letting me be my best. It's coming along...

Jolly, I get my hair cut and colored about twice a year - it really does alot for your self esteem, makes you stand taller when you feel good about yourself and is worth the occasional splurge/ investment in yourself. I really like your idea about your friend helping you with the clothes. So often we try to cover up or hide and we look much worse for it. I think of bigger girls like Queen Latifa who even tho she trimmed down alot - she really looks great. Because her clothes FIT her properly. Thanks for sharing that wonderful idea.

I wish I had more time to catch up with everyone - can I take my "chat pass" for today? I've really been trying hard to get a little more sleep and that's helped alot.

Sounds like things are coming along for everyone as we hit the mid point of July. Keep up the great efforts!
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 02:53 AM   #52  
Not Giving Up

Height: 5'9"

Hi everyone

Well, it has been quite a month already for everyone.

Jolly that is great about the new hair and clothes. Now you will have to take some pictures and post them. I love looking at pictures. Glad to hear that your horse is better.

Raven how are all your horses settling into their new home? WTG on passing the vending machine and going to get healthy snacks.

Chachee I must say I was so proud of you when I read that you were able to outride your hubby. So is the competition on now and we will find him working out so that he can try and outdo you?

Sassy WTG on your slow and steady little victories. I am so glad that you were able to fill me in on where my motivation is. Thank you for the laugh, I really needed one.

Happy your dinner sounds so good. Have you had any time to read Dr. Phil's book yet? I have had it for 3 months and have still not really had anyutime to read it. I hope that you are feeling better, and are getting more sleep.

Red how did your day go at work after you were able to tell your coworker that you would not do all her work for her anymore? That is great because you deserve to have a little extra time for yourself.

Hippy how are you doing? Your vacation sounded so wonderful. Did you take lots of pictures that you can post?

Linda welcome, How old are your kids? I was reading that you need to do the yard work that you hate to do... Well a wise friend told us about a website called flylady, and she says to set the timer for 15 minutes and just work for that long. Surprisingly this actually really works. (yes Happy a great big hug to you for this website)

Well it has been a pretty busy month so far. We moved one of Kristi's horses to a new stable (same stable we took him for training) so that she could enter some horse shows. They both did really well for their first show last weekend. She came home for a day and now she has gone to another show and will be gone for 3 days. She was upset as I am unable to take days off to go with her. She will be back Friday, then the 23rd of July we have to travel 3 hours to go to the Cher concert. And then on the 28th she has one more horse show. I think she then has a 3 week break and then she will have a last show the first weekend of September.
Mark and the boys have gone on vacation to B.C. with his brother and mother. They are gone until Saturday which leaves me HOME ALONE. This would usually be a great thing, but our dog, (the one that was my wedding present) past away yesterday at the age of 16. So ladies, Give each of your dogs an extra pet and hug today.

Well I must go to bed, as it is way past my bedtime. I shall try and pop in more often to say hi.

Kathy
luckycharm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2004, 08:26 AM   #53  

Default Wednesday update

Hi ladies!
Well, the weigh in did not go well. I added .4 pounds this time. I should have known after I blew it this weekend. However, it could have been worse. So, I am now 154.6 pounds, which is still certainly better than my starting weight of 162.4. I was sad and embarrassed as I was the ONLY person at this particular ww meeting who had a gain. One woman reached 75 pounds and was called up in front. I looked at her and wondered where my will power is, if she can do it so can I! Rears in Gear!!!!!
I accept this new challenge and will get the weeding done and get bark mulch laid down on the side section of our yard that needs so much work by one week from Friday, the 25th. I leave the day after that for a one week vacation, so I must get my act together and do it by then, period! Ha! However, today it's pouring rain and I reserve today for paying bills and getting my grocery shopping list done. (as task in itself) Tomorrow is a quilt group I go to every Thursday and grocery shopping in the afternoon, so Friday (weather permitting) will be the day of reckoning! If I can muster up the will power to do this detested job, I can and will achieve my weight loss goals????
Hey, Red Balloon, thanks for the info on Tokyo, I think I'd like it there. Might be a bit overwhelming at first, but sounds like a neat place to be! Do you get homesick for the USA? What part of the US were you from originally?

I wonder if anyone would value my opinion for a makeover business consultant? I truly have NO credentials, and would have to make over myself before I would dare to offer MY advice to anyone! I need to work on the make over ME thing. Maybe another challenge? I really need to get out there (can't afford much, but there are salvation army stores, thrift shops, etc. out there) and evaluate what is in style and try some new looks. I can also "shop" my own closet and wear some of the stuff that I don't often wear and accessorize differently? It could be fun to at least do myself over. Then, If I made a few good and noticeable changes, I could then think about being an advisor to people. It might be fun to work on ME the first "client" and see what I can REALLY do if I try to look at myself objectively? If I can budget it, perhaps it could be accomplished? I am pretty boring in that I wear jeans and T shirts or shirts and sweaters in winter with jeans day in and day out. I seldom dress up and look "cosmopolitan". I ought to look the part if anyone would ever think of me in that way.
There is one woman, the same one who got recognition for losing 75 pounds that truly needs some brightening up! She's not ever going to be "pretty" like a fashion model (no insult to her intended and she's not here anyway, and I would say the same thing about myself!) but what she does have for features could be played up a bit and her hair style and clothing could use an update for sure. Wonder if someone is out there saying that about ME? Sure hope it's not my DH, who seems to totally love me for who I am - thank goodness!
Speaking of the soda cake (chocolate), at yesterday's ww meeting there was a recipe for Peach Cobbler given, 3 points a serving. It's a take off on the soda cake and really easy. If anyone wants it, let me know and I'll type it up here. I think I'll make it over the weekend?
Chach, wish I lived close to you - I'd have come down there to help with that physical work. I know what you mean about feeling really good even when you are sore. There is an old fashioned word called "burn" when it refers to exercise, if you work long and hard enough, you are really "burning". That is what you accomplished! Go girl! Wouldn't it be fun to have a few weight loss buddies living right in your own town and you could get together to do this kind of project with each other and make it FUN instead of the dreaded thing, as with my weeds and mulch.
Should we establish a certain day of the month to measure, seems like a few people are doing that here. I would like to begin and it would be fun to have everyone reporting in on that, if there was a certain day for it, it would force me to do it!
Chach, classes at a crime lab? What is your job anyway? Sounds quite interesting! There is a new show on the lifetime channel you might enjoy (I haven't seen it, but have heard about it) about a forensic expert and detectives who are searching for missing people. Stars Mark Consuello (sp) and he is HOT! At least you'd have fun watching HIM! ; )
Jolly, sounds like you have done something wonderful for yourself! That's exactly the kind of thing I am talking about. I need to brainstorm on some business ideas and strategies. I still need to be the first client for sure. I can start to think about this, even if I never really get anything off the ground, it will be a fun thing.
Happy2bme, thanks for the welcome and I hope you get some energy and time!
Your meal sounded good to me. Sure if my daughter would eat seafood and my son would eat pineapple! They can be such a pain to cook for. I end up making more than one version of meals in this house lots of time.
Your remark about Queen Latifa is a good thought. She is certainly a plus size person, yet she has a "flair" and can work it. We all need to know HOW, including me, to pull that off and what won't look absolutely ridiculous with our body types, etc. Maybe I can find some books in the library on this? Could be interesting. Certainly, there are magazines out there, but I find the articles are just a mere tip of the iceberg to get people one or two ideas and then the "meat" of how to accomplish something big is really never actually portrayed.
Kathy, so sorry about your dog. I have two cats that are about 6 years old and I love them dearly. I'll hug them for you, I wish I had a dog, sometimes, but they are not as independent. Maybe someday.
Ah yes, Flylady, I used to belong and get daily updates and such..... I should look at that website again and think about that time thing. I do still shine my sink all the time, at least I picked up one good habit!
My kids are 13 (girl) and 16 (boy) and they are not very helpful and gripe about me being a "nag" at them all the time. I have even offered to PAY them to do work around here and they seldom help out. They are required to do certain things, which they do, but it's always with me nagging at them. They are typical teens, I'm afraid.
Linda
Old 07-14-2004, 11:59 AM   #54  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Hi Ladies!

I totally forgot to do my measurements this morning. Grr... Linda, maybe you want to join me on the 15th of each month for measurements? That is when I do it, because it coincides with my WW start time. If you want, then that is cool with me.

Was only outside about three hours last night, raking rocks and helping set posts and pour concrete. Not as strenuous or as hot as Monday night, but still a great workout. I woke up this morning at 218.5, which is about 2 pounds down from last week. We'll see if it holds true at the meeting tonght. I am guessing to be about 1.5 down for the week.

Linda: My job is a fingerprint examiner/expert. I do comparisons and testify in court as an expert witness. I've done it since 1993, 1997 in the State of Alaska, Oregon State Police before that. I got into it at a younger age (22) and have attended many classes sponsored by other agencies and also the FBI. I instruct classes about once a month on fingerprints, but this is a class on some new palmprint equipment we might start using. It's interesting and I really enjoy it.

Lucky: Wow, sounds like a busy month for you also. Thanks for the congrats on the bike ride. I think it will begin to sink in to him that he needs to exercise, but he's in relatively good condition. Needs to drop about 20 pounds, or so he says, but I don't see it. He's got chicken legs! (don't all men??)

Happy: Don't give into the cigs now! You've almost made it two months, and that is quite an accomplishment! I agree with clothes fitting right, no matter what size you are. Baggy clothes are comforting, but still don't hide anything! Chat when you have time!

Jolly: I'm so glad you did something for yourself! It's hard sometimes and we tend to overlook ourselves, but you gotta do it for yourself! Oh, and Silly, your comments are coming because you've lost 25 pounds!! That is noticeable and a big accomplishment!

Hi to Raven, Sassy and Hippy!

Have a great Wednesday!

Chach
Old 07-15-2004, 06:08 AM   #55  

Hey all. Sorry I haven't been posting much. I have been busy at work, and still not getting enough sleep at home. Still managing to get everything else done, though did short change the horse a bit last night. I am off to the gym soon, and another crazy day at work. I have decided to try taking glucosamine, for my ankle pain. Figured, it helped the dog's knee pain. It can't hurt, and may just help. We shall see.

I have read everyone's stuff. Sorry I don't have time to write to everyone, but I did want tell Lucky, Iam sorry to hear about your dog. I did give my two an extra hug and pet, in your dog's memory. Hope you are doing ok.

have a great day all. Thanks for all the positives, and have a wonderful day.
Old 07-15-2004, 07:00 AM   #56  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Smile wrapping up thursday . . .

Hello everyone. Just trying to catch up here. Some days that can be really difficult. Back from the gym. Did a heavy leg workout. That's a heavy workout for legs, not a workout for heavy legs (although that is also true!). I've been trying to cut down on carbs and haven't had the energy to work out as hard as usual. I have the same power. I guess that's just the muscle but I didn't have the usual get in there and tear into the iron feeling. I think I may have cut back a bit too much on the carbs. Trying to figure things out here.

Let's see who all has been posting. . .

jolly -- Again, I'm really glad to hear you're doing something for your appearance, new hair, highlights, clothes. Great going. I need to do the same. As for the dietician and such, no, I didn't talk to anyone because, 1) I don't have the money for it and 2) I think I need to work this out on my own. I do have access to a lot of people who know how to get the fat off for THEM but you know how it is, I need to work on the stress and emotional eating and the lack of motivation etc. I think I know what I need to do. It's doing it. I think I'll find the right direction eventually.

happy -- I had written you something and then seem to have lost it. Well, it sounds like you're doing good, great eating and no smoking. For a moment there I thought you were saying you were giving yourself permission to smoke and I was thinking, no! stop! don't do it! then I realized you weren't. Big sigh of relief! Hope you get some time to talk to us more soon! I enjoy yours posts a lot!

chach -- got that fence up yet? Dad a logger. Cool. Hope you're not too sore though from all the work.

I like the idea of the measurements on the 15th. I'll join you for them. What all do you measure? Then we can measure the same places and give a sum total like sassy did or break it down, whatever. Ok?

Good luck at your weighin!

lucky -- good to hear from you again. Oh, God, I don't know what's up at work. I haven't been in since I spoke to the boss about this other woman and how I didn't want to do all the work anymore. I'm thinking he may have talked to her today because my mobile phone has been ringing from her, and I get home to an empty message in my home phone. There was a blank email to my mobile phone from the boss' address but when I replied to ask what was up there was no answer. Then another call from a pay phone (you can see all this on the great phones they have here). I didn't feel like answering because if it's work related she can just send me an email. There's no need to be calling me, especially if she doesn't even bother to leave a message. This is the kind of stalker/neurotic behavior that made me want to stop working with her. Of course, it could be nothing, but she's done similar before, and I just didn't feel like jumping to answer the phone knowing it was her. It's my day off and I'm busy. Why should I answer at the gym, on my bike, wherever I happen to be just because the mobile phone goes off. That email was creepy though. looks like the boss' mail isn't confidential at all. Can you imagine her sending mail from his address? Oh, freak me out.

Heh, I didn't realize you had horses too. Do you ride? Is Kristi your daughter?

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear your dog died. That always leaves an awfully big hole to fill. I will give each of my four cats an extra hug. I feed two near-starving chained-on dogs a few times a week. I'll try to give them something extra. There was another one I fed and he died. Went there one day and there was blood all over. I heard from a neighbor lady that he was sick but he looked fine to me. I really liked him and every time I pass there now I have to fight back tears. Your dog is surely in some wonderful place now and probably looking at you lovingly. Be happy about the good times you gave him (her?)

derry -- sorry to hear your weighin didn't show a loss. At least you can attribute it to a weekend splurge. Don't be embarrassed about not losing though. It's tough as you don't have that much to lose now. Just don't give up! Slow and steady wins the race. (says ms. jackrabbit herself!)

Yeah, Tokyo's pretty neat. I don't know if I get homsick for the States anymore. I try not to think of things like that as it'll just get me down. I do enjoy being back there but I rarely get back. I'm originally from Pittsburgh.

Well, as for the makeover business, yes, I'm sure someone would value your opinions. Why wouldn't they? If you make them look better, feel better, they'll be eating out of your hand! Sure, it would help if you look pretty good yourself but really all you need is one good outfit. It's more reputation and getting results than looking stunning yourself anyhow. They don't have to see you 24 hours a day for a week! I was just watching a makeover show on TV and the people doing the makeovers usually look like they could use one themselves. It's what they do, not how they look. All you need is one satisfied customer to get that word of mouth ball rolling! Go for it or make it a goal. Sounds like fun. I'd like to find some books too on this. What I'm trying to do now is just cut out photos of looks that express me, the me that I want to express, that is! It's really more about "working the look" as they say, but that really is about feeling good in your own skin. We all need to work on that I think!

Raven, sassy, hippy, hope to hear from you soon!

Ok, bye for now. Wish me luck at work tomorrow. I'm afraid I may be out a major portion of my income if this stalker type takes offense, as she probably has!

Last edited by redballoon; 07-15-2004 at 07:15 AM.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 10:25 AM   #57  

Hello again everyone. I had to post quick and laugh at myself, of "selves" as the case may be. I got to the gym late this morning, as I was really tired, and had a lot of stuff to get done this morning at home. I decided I didn't have time to do both cardio and weights as scheduled, so was just going to do cardio. Then, a little voice inside my head said "but the weights are probably why your clothing size has dropped faster than your weight." So I decided to just do weights. Well, I got done with the weights and heard that same little voice ("Sybil Ann", anyone?) saying "but you still need cardio to lose weight too" So ended up squeezing some of that in as well. I had to laugh.

Red, good luck with your stalker. Scary. Good job on the weight workout. i guess the reason I asked about the nutritionist, is that you seem to have some pretty specific goals, and a nutritionist/dietician may be able to help you make sure you are eating properly to reach those goals safely. I know my gym has one available for consultation. Some health insurances cover them as well.

I have to set a goal for myself. Sometime this week or weekend, I need to go check out some healthy cooking cookbooks. I need to expand my recipes, to healthy but affordable stuff. Need some more variety.

Have a great day all.
Old 07-15-2004, 12:06 PM   #58  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Good morning, Ladies!

Weigh in was good last night. Down 1.6, which means that one pound gain last week is gone and another 0.6. Total of 33.4 since joining WW end of February! I'm happy about that!

Red: Good luck with your boss/stalker. I hate it when people get that way. I hope you had an okay talk/meeting. I'll address the measuring in a minute.

Jolly: I loved your inner voice. Is she related to Bat? Hmm...maybe they could get together and leave us alone? I have to tell you, though, I might be in trouble if I take Bat to meetings with me. We found out last night that our receptionist/person who weighs us in got Receptionist of the Year for Alaska. Hmm...maybe someone would notice if I clobbered her with Bat. Dang, now what is a girl to do?? Oh yeah, violence is never the answer...heehee.

Measurements, for me, on the 15th of the month. (When I remember, as I didn't this morning. I'll do it tomorrow, I promise!) I measure in several places:

Neck
Chest
Upper Right/Left Arm
Waist
Hips
Upper Right/Left Thigh
Right/Left Calves
Right/Left Ankles

I keep track of each area, but count the inches as a bulk number. I'm down 30-something inches since February, with most of them coming off the waist and hips. I'll try to remember tomorrow to do it and post the amount lost here.

Okay, happy Wednesday!

Chach
Old 07-16-2004, 07:03 AM   #59  

My goodness! I missed a day posting, it was unbelievably busy yesterday. Didn't have time for my usual workout, but I figure I earned at least one point with all the running around I did, plus a HUGE grocery shopping trip! My cart was bulging, but mostly with healthy choices, tons of produce, and ww frozen foods!
Red, have to comment on the staulker person at work. My husband's boss is exactly like this. He even called my husband on Christmas when we were with our family. We "hate" him and Mark, my darling, is looking for another job as he just can't take it. It's really too bad, as he loves his job and his company, but this one guy makes life miserable, not only for Mark, but for our entire family - due to his Jerkyl/Hyde (sp? - Sassy, I have united totally!!!!) behaviour and his constant intrusions on our family time. If you figure out a way to deal, let us know!!! What is it with these people? In this day of such electronic marvels in terms of our equipment, does it give people a right to feel you are on the job 100% of the time? Maybe you can leave an "away" message on your cell phone that says, "I'm off today and enjoyed some very well deserved peace and quiet and personal time, if this is an extreme emergency, I will return the call. Please leave a message if that is so." You could let friends and family know you will be monitoring messages and will call them back, that you are trying to just avoid the work things. Talk about stress, and we all know stress can contribute to over eating! You poor thing!
I have kind of a new resolve, or theory with my ww program since the day before yesterday. I can't seem to break that barrier of 150 pounds. Every time I get close, I have a gain. I am eating 22 points per day, plus usually earn at least 2, or 3, with exercise. I dediced (don't know if ww would approve or not, but I don't care!) to EAT the 20 point range, as if I was already at 150. Maybe then I can break that barrier and get below that number, finally? Of course, I know I will use flex points over thew weekend, my usual downfall, but maybe eating only 20 during the week will work for me? Weekends are so hard for me, we always eat out and even if I try to count points, one is never totally sure unless one goes to a "chain" restuarant where ww gives you points info.
Funny, how this makeover thing has become something interesting, not only for me fur for some others here! I totally want to read up on it. I was intriqued to catch a makeover tv program yesterday on tv and it was a show I never usually watch, but had to sit there (though I had such a busy day!) long enough to see the makeover results. But, these people were really what I would call "extremes" and the people I would want to work with might not be like that. I really need to study.
I bought one magazine this week that had a two page "spread" with mostly photos and hardly any true info on what kind of clothing to wear for your body type. I think I may cut out that article and start a file of things like that. Maybe I can come up with my own 3 ring binder of reference materials or something like that?
I get my hair cut on Monday afternoon and maybe I should ask my stylist if she has some info or can lead me to info on what kind of cut is best for certain shape faces? Maybe I'll be daring and let her try something new for me? I was going to get a highlight (which I do occasionally) but I just can't afford it right now.
Jolly, so glad that little voice Sybil (I remember that movie!) told you to do both the weights and cardio, that is totally the way to go! I do a body scuplting work out take about 4 days a week and then get on the treadmill for at least 40 minutes on the opposing days. I am trying to work out differently on alternating days on the days that I do the body sculpting, I am on the treadmill at least 20 minutes. I have built this kind of thing into my day, but I try to take two days off a week from all exercise to rest my body. I hear that you need to do that? Do any of you do that?
Chach, great loss and you did make up for the gain last week. I am PLANNING on that for myself this coming Tuesday for my own weigh in! This is an important weigh in for me and meeting as we are going away for a week the week after. I will probably miss a meeting and will also be overeating! If I gain, well it is vacation, but I want a loss very badly right before! Again, eating in the lower points range will maybe help me to break through! I've done it successfully for two days in a row and didn't feel like I was starving.
I didn't do the measurements yesterday either, but I just copied, cut and pasted the measurements you listed, Chach, and mailed them to myself on an e-mail! When I check e-mail, I will have that reminder - I can print it out and write on that! I still wish I had done measurments when I started ww in April, I know I would be pleased.
Just one more thing, I tried on my "thin jeans" Tuesday morning. I wanted to know if I COULD get them on again. I can get them up over my hips now, but there is no way they will close and zip, and the legs feel pretty tight, but they were on me. That is a good sign, as I couldn't get them over my hips before. I know I can do this!
Take care, all! You are all doing great!
Linda in NH
Old 07-16-2004, 11:54 AM   #60  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Good morning, ladies!

Finally remembered to do my measurements this morning! I didn't have time to walk, though, as I was out in the yard raking and shoveling until 11:00 pm. I figured that was a good workout.

Anyway, I was down a total of 5.5 inches since last month, bringing me to right about 42 inches total loss all over, with most of the inches coming off my waist and hips. Arms are still a problem, but with more weights workouts, it will come off.

Linda: I have had a leader tell me to get to the next weight range, eat those points. I would see how it goes for you with that. Make sure you aren't starving yourself, which I seriously doubt will happen. Great job on the thin jeans. I judge myself that way also. It's been about a month since I went through my closet. Just about time to do that again.

This will be a busy weekend for me with the yard and fence. Just something to look forward to, as its good exercise and we are seeing progress.

Oh, and I have a funny story to tell. Here it is:

My mom called me from the Nordstrom Rack in Oregon. (We don't have one of those in Alaska.) She is picking up clothes and stuff for me. I'm getting three new pairs of
pj's, ten new pairs of trouser socks, and six new pairs of shoes, including a purple pair of Ughs!! Wahoo!

This is what is weird about the phone call. She still doesn't know I've lost weight. I haven't told her as I want it to be a surprise. My dad is the only one who knows I've lost weigh of any of my family/friends in Oregon. She was looking at the pj's and asked me what size. Here is how the conversation went:

Mom: Honey, what size do you need? 1 or 2 X
Me: Oh, I guess just a regular XL, because Nordy's runs larger in their sizes.
Mom: Are you sure? It looks a little small and I don't know that it would fit me.
Me: Yeah, go ahead and get them, because I want the tops to be tighter.
Mom: Okay, honey, but they do look a little small.

I tried to keep a straight face and not laugh on the phone! I was just at Nordy's this last weekend and tried on pjs. Their XL's fit me just right in the top and are a little loose on the bottoms! I haven't told her, and she doesn't know, because I swore my dad to secrecy. Isn't that funny? She's going to be blown away, because it's been over 10 years now since I've been this small. Makes me want to lose that 6.6 pounds this next two weeks, because I'll be so close to 50 pounds gone since she was up here in January.

Anyway, have a great weekend if I don't talk to you all!

Keep up the great work.

Chach