Old 06-25-2004, 11:56 AM   #1  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Smile ChitChat #55

HI and WELCOME! to the Jaded Ladies Chit Chat #55.

This is a very warm and friendly group of ladies who talk about everything. Who also provides support in our walk towards a healhtier lifestyle, as well as our everyday lives.

So, grab a cup of coffee, or in my case a diet coke, and pull up a chair and join us.
FrouFrou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 01:13 PM   #2  
One day at a time

Smile

Hi ladies~

I have been on the computer since about 8:40 this morning but not on, if that makes since. I am multi-tasking, trying to do laundry and water the grass, and post! Thought I would get an early start on things. I am wanting to finish my book, Daddy's Little Girl. Started dozing last night so put it down and went to bed. Not sure why I was so sleepy. Anyway, want to get started on the Bleachers, and then do some scrapbooking this weekend. Also, do my wreath today, which shouldn't take long at all.

DS#1 came home yesterday with tickets to see Jessica Simpson in KC July 8th. He actually asked me if I would like to go. Told him not sure. I do like Jessica Simpson's music, but not so much that I would want to drive up to KC to see her. I checked it out though and it is at the Verizon Amphitheater, so it is outside which I think would be kind of nice, so may go afterall. He gets free tickets to events from people all the time at his job. He is a manager at a store, which I don't like. But the pay is good and he basically can make his own hours for the most part while he goes to school. Of course at this rate it may take him 4 years to get his bachelors. It only took him 4 to get his associates! Of course he took a year off and two of thos years he only did a semester because he keeps getting side tracked. I guess all that matters though is that he did get it! Then it is off to the dreaded AR! I think the Monday after, not sure how long I will be there.

Jen~glad to see you finally got some much needed sleep, also that slim fast is working out for ya. I never did care for the can shakes and bought the powder-maybe that's why I didn't lose anything?! Anyone who can get those down I applaud.

Jana~LOVE the new avatar! It's perfect! I saw somewhere and not sure why I thought about it now, but I don't have an Italian Charm bracelet either, just a regular one, double loop, or hoop whatever they call it. I think I have too many charms on it, but like it anyway. Every charm on there has special meaning so...Sounds like you guys are having the same weather we are. I tookt he trash out this morning on my way out and caught a breeze between the houses and got a chill-in JULY! Something is wrong there. I am making a grapevine wreath w/a yellow & green bow, and some ivy, mini purple daisies, white shasta daisies, and purple azalea spray. I hope it turns out nice. I thought the purple/white and touch of yellow would look pretty. I'm on a yellow and purple kick. The roses in the front are yellow, planted some ground cover in between that have purple flowers and have a pot of purple flowers on the porch. Not sure what they are though. Hope you and Mackenzie have a fun day.

Susan~keeping my fingers crossed in the hopes of you getting that job! Hope little Miss Gaby is feeling better.

Marti~I would have to say you definitely got a work-out lifting all that wood. Hope your arms aren't too sore today.

Hi to everyone else, Angie, Sue, Shanna, Kathy, Katie, Rita, and anyone I may have forgotten!

Well, I have a few things to get done today so I will say Aloha for now. Take care and have a lovely day ladies.
Old 06-25-2004, 01:19 PM   #3  

Height: 5'1"

Morning--

I too have been on the computer but not on!! Been running here and there off and on and then come back to the puter!!

This is a quick post for now, since I really need to get to town and get some gasoline for the supra and deposit a check and yadda yadda yadda......

Just how interested are you with what errands I have to do?? Probably not at all!!

Anyway....I'm meeting up with Shanna later today. So I will post more later.

Marti
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2004, 08:44 PM   #4  

Yow! My kitten just ran and jumped on my legs like I were a piece of furniture. Now I have Freddy Krueger like scratches. Lovely.

Today was an incredibly llllloooooonnnnnnngggggg day. I had an all day conference on Alzheimers. And a couple of the speakers were not very good. Probably not the best place for me to be trying to stay awake on a Friday! Oh well, glad it's over. I did learn a few things so...I suppose it was worth it.

Jana - I don't have any idea what or where Montgomery is, so I guess it's not nearby! I'm so far west in IL that I can see over the Mississippi River to Iowa from my house. It's actually a great view. I figured it had to be healthy soup, the Amish don't eat all of the processed crud that we have grown to love.

Cristi - I say, if the weather's nice, enjoy a free outdoor concert. Not too sure if I would go see Jessica though. Does she have an opener? That's cool that your son gets the free tix. Don't get discouraged with the time it's taking him. I grad from HS in 91, nursing school (a 2 yr program) in 95, got an associates in science in 99, and my bachelors in 02. Honestly, taking my time was more fun and less stressful. I definately got more out of it later than if I were 19 or 20.

Marti - I would love to have a whole day to just run errands. I always feel so rushed, and I love to browse.

I don't remember what everyone else posted on the last thread. Must be my blond hair! Tomorrow is my official weigh-in after the 5 days on slim-fast. I'm excited!

Jen
Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 01:22 AM   #5  
One day at a time

Wow, where is everyone?

Marti~hope you and Shanna had a nice visit.

Jen~yeah, that's me too, not sure I want to see Jessica. It may be free but there still will be the cost of spending the night somewhere, just not sure she is worth it. No opener that I know of so...I think that will be the rate DS gets his degrees also. I know when he went off to college in Virginia, I thought he should wait a year. Didn't think he was ready to be on his own, and so far from us. Of course i was right, but would anyone listen? NO! but I realize as hard as it is and was, I had to let go and let him find out on his own. Good luck with your weigh in today. Sending some good vibes your weigh for a loss. :

Sending good vibes for everyone else that weighs in today. : Was going to say tomorrow but it is tomorrow. It's after midnight-duh!

Well, just wanted to check in and see how everyone's day went.

Have a GREAT weekend ladies!
Old 06-26-2004, 03:29 AM   #6  
a work in progress

Default sooooooo stressed...

Hi ladies, I've missed you. I have been so stressed the last couple of weeks. Since everyone's going on summer vacation and there is a lot of training going on at work, I've been being asked to fill in for the senior reps for various teams -- which is normally nice, about an extra buck an hour, and kind of a change of pace from my regular duties. Except I filled in for one senior for all of last week, another for Monday of this week, yet another for Wed-Thurs of this week, and now a fourth for all of next week -- and all of them work different hours, some starting at 6:45 am, others at 10:15 am, sitting at different desks, different supervisors who each do things differently and have different expectations...all the while taking escalated calls from really angry customers and trying to help newer reps by being available to give advice, answer their questions, and double-check their work.

Then, yesterday, my driver's side door didn't want to unlock. I finally got it to open, then couldn't get it to stay closed -- it wouldn't latch shut. Then I got it locked again, and it wouldn't unlock from either the inside OR the outside. I had to crawl over the passenger seat to get out, and I'm certainly not petite, so that was rather uncomfortable. I had already been living with no A/C, the driver's window wouldn't roll up and down anymore, radio wouldn't work (and everytime we changed the fuse it would blow immediately, meaning there was some underlying electrical problem), a check engine light was on so I couldn't get it registered and was waiting to hear from a state consumer assistance program to help pay for the repair so it would pass smog certification...

I gave up and bought a new Kia Rio. Never had a new car before. It seems pretty nice ( I asked for MANUAL door locks and windows), and wasn't as bad a price as some other cars might have been. I am really uncomfortable with taking on another car payment and the increase in insurance, but had to do something and was even more uncomfortable buying a used car with no warranty. The Kia supposedly has a 5 year/60,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

Then Tim met me at the car lot on his lunch hour to take a quick look at the car we were buying, and couldn't get the key out of his ignition, and couldn't turn his car all the way off. Either the interlock switch in the gear shift or the ignition is bad, and we don't know if it's covered under warranty. *sigh* So now his car is at the dealership, and they won't even know how much to fix it and if it will be out of our pocket or covered until probably Monday.

Anyway ladies, gripe gripe gripe, huh...I'm sorry. I'm just soooo tired and stressed. I'm going to bed now, 'cuz I'm just exhausted. Good night...
Katiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 08:48 AM   #7  
GmaTo8

Good morning ladies,

Cristi - thank you for the card! That was sweet... and yes, we can try to reschedule our trip - maybe next year we can all meet in Oregon. Your wreath sounds so pretty! I like yellow and purple together, too. In the front of my house, I've got yellow daylillies with purple-ish tall phlox blooming now.

Marti - you must have got sidetracked at Michaels, or something? lol.... hope your weekend is going well.

Jen - my family and I moved to the country to take care of MIL who had Alzheimer's. I was her main caregiver, and there were days I thought I couldn't do it anymore. Finally got her into a Senior Day Care and they helped with her hygeine and ADL. She was in the nursing home for a while, too, but didn't do well there, so we brought her home. She passed away last Nov. at 93 y/o, which was a blessing. At least she didn't have to go through the last stages of the disease, I mean. She was a teacher with her Master's degree and if she knew some of the things she did, she'd have been mortified!

Katiecat - we've missed you too, friend. YAY for the new Kia Rio! Love that new car smell! Hope it doesn't cost too much for Tim's car to be fixed, though. Try to get some rest this weekend, okay?

Hi to the others....

Neal has a cold and it's doubtful that we will go to the baptism tomorrow unless he gets a lot better. Don't want the little babies to catch it! I may ride up with one of my sister's anyway.

I lost 1/2 pound of pure fat at weigh in today. I'm happy enough with that, since I lost so much last week, and knew this was coming.

Gotta go change my signature....
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 08:50 AM   #8  

Good Morning! Where is everyone? Get your lazy butts out of bed and get going! I had my alarm set for 8:00, but I guess after a week of 3-5:30am, my body thought 6:30 today was late enough. Funny, my brain isn't ready!

Katiecat - I am sorry about your last couple of weeks. Things run in 3's right? Hopefully this is it for awhile. I have a hard time following one boss, I can't imagine that many different ones. But then again, I think mine has multiple personalities! I have a hard time keeping a car without a warranty. I've got no family nearby that can run me to work, but then again I need a car to do patient visits while I am working, and I don't have a second car. It's either keep a new car with some sort of warranty so I can muscle the dealer into a loaner , or get a back-up car. And once a car starts hitting your pocket book on a regular basis, you might as well make payments and be sure it's not going to break down, or if it does, its covered.

I finally went to 1800petmeds. What took me so long? If I order from them instead of getting them from my vet, it's a $110 savings every 6 months! I think I need to get them a prescription card! That is a sizable savings. I'm going to talk to my vet, maybe they'll adjust, otherwise I'll have them transferred.

My weigh-in was today, officially. I'm up 2 lbs from yesterday. I figured some of it was water weight and I would get it back anyway. But my fingers feel awfully tight, so I think it's too much water now. I'm still down 4.5 lbs since Monday! Yay! I'm going to continue on the modified version. It's still keeping me away from all of the sweets!

I have to go get busy. House to clean, yard to mow, weeds to pull, and a patient visit later. UGH!

Jen
Dolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 10:29 AM   #9  
RosieKate

Good morning everyone!
Been up since 6, drank some coffee and read the paper. Dick Cheney needs to have his mouth washed out with soap! I'm such a mommy....I kept thinking, "Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?" I should talk. I've been know to swear like a sailor at times, but parenthood has definitely motivated me to clean up my act.....

Christi - I graduated HS in '83, but didn't get my BS until '90, then an Med ( Masters in Ed) in '94. Took my own sweet time on all of it. I had to pay my own way through, and took breaks to work. It's true that everyone just has to do these things their own way. I would have liked to go straight through and have a few more years at my career before staying home with kids. I also know that I was a better and more motivated student when I had to take a break and work in the "real" world for awhile. Your son sounds like he has a good head on his shoulders and is doing well for himself.

Katicat - sorry about the car troubles. Your new car sounds cute. Don't write off used completely, though. We've had good luck with used. We only get used cars that Consumer Reports recommends and we run a Carfax. We have a 95 Honda Civic - before that it was an 81 civic - boy the stories that car could tell! Hondas last forever, I tell you. Our 7 y/o son will probably inherit the 95 when he learns to drive - and that's not an exaggeration. Check out kelly blue book online (kbb.com) or edmunds.com - they are great resources for car info.

Jana - WTG on your continued success - Hope Neal feels better soon. Your yard just sounds lovely - I'm hoping to get out in mine today - I have a bunch of compost to spread, then I'm hoping to plant some violets in the gaps of our rock wall in the back yard. Also need to finishing clearing out the old peas - they are done for the year.

Jen - good job on the weight loss! Keep up the good work - looks like slimfast is getting you off to a good start. A view of the Mississippi from your house? Sounds like a pretty place. You ought to post a pic over in the pictures thread. I imagine sitting on a porch swing sipping a lemonade and meditating to the sound of the river - sigh.

Well, VBS is over -thank goodness. It was fun, but all the little toddlers I was watching were getting a little strung out by Friday a.m. They didn't want their mommies going anywhere! But we muddled through and everyone had a good time. I was exhausted last night! So today, I am looking forward to catching up on some stuff around here. I've really wanted to get to the yard. I also need to hang some laundry and do some planning for next week. My SIL and her family are in town and coming over for a barbecue - so need to make sure we're ready for it. Then we take off for a long weekend in Condon, OR to spend the holiday with my mom. So - another busy week coming up.
Congrats on all the good weigh-ins so far!
RK
Old 06-26-2004, 11:47 AM   #10  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

Good morning ladies,
Kate, If I could get rid of my van I would...it has cost me so much money, with transmission, brakes, and everything else...yesterday Brandon and I are were almost standed. The Temp gage went really high, there was bells and lights flashing,,,it was like being in Vegas...
And this is after having it in the shop last month for that same reason...duh I called the garage and freaked on them...they tried to tell me I hadn't been in since Oct. My BP must of went as high as the temp gage...lol
So why did you pick the KIA? I am starting to look for a new vehicle cause I know soon I will take a blow torch with a can of hairspray to the van...grrr

Jana tell Neil I hope he gets better soon, having a cold in the summer seems more terrible I think.

Susan....sooo??

Brandon's appointment just amde me more nervous. The Dr. checked him over, called in all these interns, and other DR. to look at his feet. I was told this wasn't common,,,and his were severe. Brandon what a great kid,,,cracked jokes about feeling like a petting zoo. They poked and prodded him...and he had more x rays , which showed that it wasn't his bones as were told, but it may be his cartilage,,,which would make surgery more difficult. So we wait for a few more tests,,,CT scan and bone scan,,,from there they will decide how best to go from there.

Well I should get my face and hair on...
hope you all have a great weekend...
Angie
da fat n da furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 12:27 PM   #11  

Height: 5'1"

Morning ladies--

Yesterday was a fun afternoon and evening. I got to spend some time with Shanna...she came over and played with the kittens....I kept telling her to take one home! She really wants to, but she left without one. So I may just have to bring a surprise to her doorstep!!

James took me out to dinner last night. I was going to head to Subway for a sandwhich, but he suggested Mexican food. I was all up for that. Now...have any of you EVER seen a menu that did NOT serve SALAD??? I couldn't believe it! My most favorite thing for mexican food is Taco Salad! Nothing! Was amazed. Ended up with seafood Chimichanga and only ate half. I didn't even take the rest home!!

On our way home we drove down main street and saw one of James' old friends (his best friend for years until he moved to Portland) and so we stopped. Now this friend had moved to Portland and had gotten into some bad drug habits (heroin---bad drugs)and stuff...lost contact with James for like 10yrs or so. Just recently came back in touch around the holidays. At that last visit...James was trying to help him get his life on track. Told him to move back to town and away from the drugs, get a job (even told him where he should go) save some money to get a car and straighten up. When we ran into him yesterday, it had been since Christmas since we seen him, he told James that he moved back a couple weeks ago, went to where James suggested and got the job, got a car and is saving money to get his own place. And he really wants to change his life!! Now how is that? Made James day. He was smiling the whole way home!! I was happy to hear the good news. This guy is a good person, just ran into some bad people and got stuck. He was inspired by James and how much he has changed since highschool and how much he's made a difference in himself. Such a great success story!!

***whew**** long winded there wasn't I? I will have to do individuals later on since this is already a long post.

You all take care...James and I have a long list of things to do today!

Marti
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 01:04 PM   #12  
a work in progress

Default everything looks brighter in the morning :)

Hi ladies!

About my post last night...I was really stressed and worried and so exhausted I was literally nodding off while I typed. I feel some better this morning. I am still kind of worried about taking on the car payment and the increased insurance, but we can do it, we'll just have to watch our budget and find some ways to economize.

Angie, that's funny, my husband was talking about setting my old car on fire, too We picked the Kia specifically because it is supposed to have a 5 year/60,000 mile bumper to bumper waranty, and a full 10 year waranty on the drive train. It's not the best-rated car, not the best performance or most comfortable, but it's fine, decent gas mileage, one of the lowest prices for a brand new car, and that waranty is what really sold me. I'm so sorry to hear about Brandon's feet! Has he always had problems with them while he was growing up, or is this just something he's developed as a teenager?

Rosiekate, I agree...up until now, I've been totally opposed to buying a new car, because they depreciate as soon as you drive off the lot. But I figure I don't plan on reselling this, I just need something reliable. I've always bought used before, and had a phone # for a CarMax rep to call...but when the driver's door wouldn't unlock, it became a matter of necessity to get another car immediately, and I didn't have any time to shop around. And the cost of a decent reliable used car for us -- in this state, about $8000-$11000, plus an additional $1500-$2500 for a waranty, and the new Kia with the waranty included was $13120 out the door, tax and license included.

Jen, good start on your loss! Are you just doing the Slimfast plan? I read a consumer's report recently that said the Walmart Equate brand of the dry shake mix was pretty good. I don't like Slimfast in the can, but when I was a kid I used to like Carnation Instant Breakfast If I could find something like that... Good to hear your recommendation for 1800PETMEDS. My husband was talking about trying them, especially since our cats get really freaked out if we try to take them to the vet -- they hate being in the car or having strangers touch them. Poor psycho little things... LOL

Jana, hope your Neal feels better soon. Summer colds can be miserable. Congrats on your continued success, love your new avatar!

Cristi, the wreath you are making sounds pretty...I like yellow and purple together.

Oh, one more piece of good news -- Mike, my 18 year old who is moving in with us next week, just got a job at Walmart, in the photo department! It starts out paying more than stocking or rounding up shopping carts, and the hours are better. It's within biking distance, less than a mile I think, so he'll have no problem getting there until he can get his license and get insured. I'm proud of him.

OK...gotta get busy here. Everyone have a great weekend, and I'll try to check in and read the latest news later on today...thanks for the sympathy, and listening to my woes....

Katie
Katiecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 01:56 PM   #13  
One day at a time

Default Hi Ladies~

Jana~you are welcome for the card, and I am hoping to reschedule sometime. Although, I don't know about meeting in Oregon. If I were going on the west coast it would probably be to CA but don't see that happening anytime soon. Now if everyone wanted to meet somewhere in between IN & OR that would be fine & better. You guys may have to get together without me otherwise. Hope Neal gets to feeling better, and congrat's on your loss this week!

RosieKate~I always heard Hondas are GREAT cars, as well as Toyotas. V had a 4Runner he had over 400,000 miles on and was still running great. My Aunt was a Toyota person, of course her in-laws owned a Toyota dealership so they got one free, but she has since switched over to a Honda, her and my cousin and they love them! I love the new Honda SUVS but they are a bit costly. DS does have a good head on his shoulders, and who knows maybe in a few years he will be working in Corporate Law as planned.

Katie~I like the Kias, the Kia Sephia (sp?) gets me, just the name of it. Glad you are feeling better this morning. Sounds like Mike has a good head on his shoulders, WTG!

Marti~isn't that great to hear about James' friend? I can only imagine how James was feeling. It is truly a good feeling when you can do good for others or inspire them to do good.
Okay, you and your sea food at a mexican restaurant. fish tacos and now a seafood chimichanga! Tell me what is in a seafood chimichanga?? I have had a shredded beef one, which are good but didn't even know the made seafood ones.

Angie~geez, poor Brandon. I hope they get to the bottom of it soon. I know how ya feel about burning your van! I swear mine for a while was a big pain in the booty. But it's running fine now, knock on wood.

Jen~you made me laugh at the thought of you trying to stay awake at the conference about Alzheimers. My cousin works at Baylor University and gives conferences all over. She studied patients with the disease. Congrat's too you also on your loss this week. Glad the slim fast is working great for ya.

Hi to everyone else!

Okay, I guess I best get off this thing. I have some scrapbooking to do and need to vacuum. That's about all that is on my agenda for the day. Have a great day/weekend ladies.
Old 06-26-2004, 02:10 PM   #14  
kitty Momo

Good Morning-

Just really super fast because I am late, late!

Gaby is back to her normal active 28 month self!

No word on the job Ang, not til Monday,

Weighed in at 140 this morning! YAY- maintaining -

Les came by last night with flowers (some sunflowers in the bunch, my favorite, he remembered I said that up at the Rose Garden) and kept me company. We walked some around the neighborhood and he held my hand......and gave a kiss good bye. We were going to get together this evening and do something. He will probably meet Gaby-

So best get!!!

ttfn...........catch up later- sorry for the quickie ;(
Mom2Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 04:00 PM   #15  
GmaTo8

Talking

Hi Ladies,

Jen - I think we were posting at the same time.... YAY for your loss!!

RosieKate - have fun at the BBQ with your family. That sounds like a lot of fun. I've got to start thinking about our July 4th party!

Angie - when will you know about the CT and other tests on Brandon's feet? Sounds like he's taking it like a trooper, though. Makes a mom nervous when they start calling in everybody for a look-see, doesn't it??

Marti - glad you and Shanna had a good time yesterday. What good news about James' friend! People really can turn their lives around if they are motivated enough. I'm with Cristi - leave it to you to eat fish at a Mexican restaurant, lol!!!

Katiecat - too bad you don't live close to me because I'd get to know your son very well, since he's working at the photo booth at Walmart. I take my digital Memory Stick in and get pics in one hour all the time. All the empoyees know me and all my grandkids just from photos, lol.

Cristi - California sounds good to me, too, but I was thinking that if we met in Oregon, those JLs who live there could save a lot of $$, lol. Who knows when that would ever happen anyway. I say lets all meet in Aruba, lol!!

Susan - awwwww, your date with Les sounds so sweet. Speaking of kisses, I told Neal I need more passionate kisses, like the song says... lol. He's been doing his best to oblige!

My new pic is me without my glasses. I have an appointment for contacts on Wed. Tried them years ago w/o success, but they have made a lot of progress with them since then. Not sure about the whole thing though.... may go with the new frameless poly glasses....

BBL,
Jane is offline   Reply With Quote