Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2004, 11:55 PM   #61  

Cool I herd I was missed... at least a little

I've been pouting and pigging out. Even had Pizza more than once in the same week. Haven't started drinking though, so I hope all is not lost. I just read through THIS thread and you all seem cozy and happy. I miss having so many friends. Guess that if I want that to happen, I'll have to stay active and stick around...

I am having some re-newed vim and vigor. (Go read my post 6/27 if you want the lurid details). But self-esteem issues.

Other than that, my post-surgery knee is healing fairly well. It hurts and feels untrustworthy when I do down stairs, but is OK otherwise. I got invited and uninvited on a cruise to Alaska. I'm disappointed, but my friend had her own health/family/child/husband issues which are certainly more important than letting me tag along on HER extra ticket!

I agree that taking the teen girl to the beach (but paying really close attention) could really be a joy for her. (And enlightening for everyone else). Dirty trick of her parents to change their minds and THEN be inflexible. How ironic.

Off to knitting blog and then needles or sketch pad. Hope tomorrow (Monday, blech, doesn't come toooooo soon.)
Old 06-28-2004, 07:45 AM   #62  
loves kleenex box art

Hi Painty. I'm the only person awake. Kiwi will be up at noon; Bagz at 9 her time whenever that is; Wabby when she gets to work; Sugar is half way around the world so who knows; Lush never posts anyway ... I wonder what she IS up to.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:20 PM   #63  

Hi Painty, good to have you back in the herd - glad to hear your knee ordeal is almost over with. Be careful and let it heal well.

Kiwi, I'm sure you weren't really asking me what I thought about taking along extra kids. You know I'd do it, then the kid wouldn't go home. This has the potential of being a really good thing (if she behaves and doesn't get on your last nerve) or a disaster (if she's a bad influence on DD and other friend). In my case I'm sure it would turn out to be a disaster, but with your DD's good influence, it will probably turn out to be just fine.

We had another horrible incident, which I won't even go into the lurid details of. That was friday, then the rest of the weekend was pretty uneventful. I worked my chubby fingers to the bone out in my yard. I had a swath of flowerbed about 20" that I had to take out, so that I could build a path next to my new pond. It involved digging out all the plants, rebuilding a low rock retaining wall, buying gravel at the landscape supply for the path, and shoveling and wheelbarrowing 1/3 ton of gravel. It looks great, but now the existing path looks ratty, so I'm going to buy the rest of the ton of gravel today and top off the old path. I should have worked off some weight, but no luck. The Notebook was a pretty movie, but I thought it was a little too predictable and schmaltzy. My sister liked it and was sniffling by the end, but I guess I must be getting too cynical for love stories. Or something. I probably should have gone to a comedy.

I also visited my younger sis, who just bought a new house. They've downsized by about 1/2. She and her DH have reconciled and they seem very happy. They live just down the street from her DH's brother and wife. We stopped by and got their garden tour. Oh. My. Goodness. It was beautiful. She has about 1/5 the size yard I do and she has double the plants crammed into it. It was a jungle of gorgeousness. Sis and I went out to lunch at a yummy place, absolutely delish. A place like Peaches went to lunch at. Fire roasted chicken w/ avocado sandwich. mmmmmm.

Then Sunday morning I took Grandpa Jim to the farmer's market so he could get some produce with this senior nutrition coupons. It was surprisingly fun to do.

Geez. I was thinking I didn't do much this weekend, but I guess I did.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:25 PM   #64  
Member w/ messiest house

I don't know about kids reading your mind; maybe so, they certainly don't listen to what you actually say out loud... But Peaches, I'm a little concerned: your favorite song was "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead"? You just can't dance to that... Oh well, I think one of my favorites was "If I Only Had a Brain"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PainterWoman
Other than that, my post-surgery knee is healing fairly well. It hurts and feels untrustworthy when I do down stairs, but is OK otherwise.
That makes it mighty difficult to get active, eh? Hope it improves quickly. And glad to see you back here!!

Quote:
Kiwi, I'm sure you weren't really asking me what I thought about taking along extra kids. You know I'd do it, then the kid wouldn't go home.
Hmm, yeah, I suppose you're right

I'm still waiting to hear from my sister, so I haven't had to make up my mind yet, but I guess I'm likely to go ahead and let her come with us. At least, none of the girls have their full drivers licenses (they have restricted ones, can't have anyone but a family member in the car when they are driving), so they can't expect to be borrowing the car while we're there. That's a little bit of leash I will have in hand anyway. I think I'll lay down some rules before we even make it definite, so they will have to agree to them up front.

Wow, that's a lot of work you did over the weekend, Wabbit! When do we get to see pics of the pond? I'll bet it's wonderful.

Kiwi
Old 06-28-2004, 05:06 PM   #65  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

Default Interesting

PAINTY!!!! WELCOME BACK HOME TO COWLAND!!! ---I Liked what you said about "friends"---it is very uplifting to know we can post anything we like here and there will always be a host of answers and supportive remarks {unless we stick our hooves in our mouths and have to apologize!!! }At any rate--glad you are back and sorry to hear your knee is still a "sore spot"===hopefully it will be back to jogging you about soon!!!!!-----------KIWONKERS!!!!! how lovely a dilemma!!! I would be feeling sorry for the kid too,but i would be concerned she was going to "act up"---HOWever---she likely won't be rude enough to cause problems when she is being offered such a generous vacation[???]---does dd REALLY want her to come--cause the old 'three's company' thing could be trouble for the girls themselves-----------you could always get your sister to be the fall guy {too mean!!}----------can't wait to hear your decision---wabby---i hope when you say "horrible friday" you don't mean any more tragic pet accidents??i couldn't take it----must be the bratty teenage/adults!!!---dogs and cats can be put down cellar!!!!-------------i need to work like YOU do in my garden---you make me feel GUILTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!1-------------- PEACHERS I FORGOT TO TELL YOU THAT YOUR TEA WAS AT THE DOOR TIL TODAY AND I SPENT ELEVEN DOLLARS MAILING IT----YOUR STAMP IS WORTH MORE THAN YOUR PACKAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!-----LET'S SEE HOW LONG IT TAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Old 06-28-2004, 06:57 PM   #66  
Member w/ messiest house

That reminds me, Bagz, how did DD2 take the loss of kitty? I hope she had a good time on her trip (to NY wasn't it?).
Old 06-29-2004, 07:08 AM   #67  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

She doesn't get home til tomorrow night and she still doesn't know-----NOT looking forward to telling her that's for sure.......................................there will be alot of sobbing for quite some time.
Old 06-29-2004, 07:09 AM   #68  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

even i'm still crying about it
Old 06-29-2004, 11:46 AM   #69  

Poor Bagzie. I'm sorry.
Old 06-29-2004, 12:01 PM   #70  
Member w/ messiest house

So sorry.

Will this cheer you up? This is my parents back in the dark ages.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newlyweds.jpg (28.6 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-29-2004, 04:46 PM   #71  

Kiwi-- Your mother (in the dark ages) looks just like my daughter's roomate... who we just found out will be getting married next summer. How synchronous! Thanks for the welcome back. It is raining like a typhoon in Texas... but blessedly less hot than usual. Had a speaking appearance canceled this evening due to threat of flash floods, so I hope to get on stationery bike.... There's no likelihood of dislocating knee bits that way.

What do you Canadians think about the election? Last night at my bedtime they hadn't called it yet. Hope you don't have someone "steal" the election the way it was here......
Old 06-29-2004, 07:18 PM   #72  
haggy-saggy aprongutarse

Hey Painty!!!--we have a Liberal Minority Government---people are fairly pleased as that will keep the reigning party from lording it over us all!!!---should be interesting!!---Kiwonkers !!! I think you look like your mother around the mouth and your father around the eyes--------am i right????---------wabby---just got out of the garden---worked about an hour at digging out sod that was choking out the edge of the perennial bed---------I AM SORE ALREADY---IMAGINE TOMORROW------------HEY I JUST REMEMBERED------KIWI---HOW GOES THE LASAGNE GARDEN?
Old 06-29-2004, 07:29 PM   #73  

You know those Canadians, Painty, they are terribly diplomatic. They would never give their opinion on church or politics in polite company.

DH, my white knight is back. He will surely rescue me from the clutches of these ungrateful almost grown up kids. Anyway, he might tell our houseguest it's time to find a new place to land. It's good to have back up.

Kiwi, I loved your folk's picture. So full of promise. Good they at least got a sweet daughter out of the deal. Did you ever read The Amateur Marriage?It was so bittersweet. Even when marriages go wrong, there's always the good parts to remember. For some reason that looks like I spelled it wrong. amateur. amateur.

Bagzie, you must read The Way the Crow Flies by your wonderful Canadian author Ann-Marie MacDonald who wrote Fall on Your Knees. I've just started it, but I think it might even be better than FoYK's. She is the most expressive writer. Absolutely beautiful language use.

DS and his friend-who-lives-with-us cleaned house and washed my car last night. Very suspicious.
Old 06-29-2004, 09:15 PM   #74  
Member w/ messiest house

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabby
amateur. amateur.
Looks okay to me.

Wabby, DS et al. are displaying signs of panic! Right after panic comes fleeing! Or is that something else..

I think you're right, Bagz. I definitely inherited my dad's nose and eyebrows. We used to call it a "ski jump" nose.

I have forsaken the lasagna garden for now. Not done a thing, not planted a thing, ignoring it completely. Perhaps I will regret it later, but I just can't make myself do anything with it.

Gee, Painty, what are you (not) lecturing on? In front of a big crowd? I would be a mess if I had to do that.

Later Kidz
Kiwi
Old 06-29-2004, 09:44 PM   #75  
loves kleenex box art

The Kiwi line is very gorgeous!!

I have nothing else to say. Wabby is inspriing me to read and spell. inspiring.
Closed Thread