Closed Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 07:21 PM   #31  
Spreadin' the luv.

Smile

Happy Birthday, Ceara! I laud and honor the day you were brought into the world...

Fly-by, mememe. I'm going to be scarce in the next couple of days. I finally got the funeral information for my friend, Luke. His mother had gotten a voice mail message from me timidly asking for information, and was SO happy to have gotten in touch with me. She wanted his class to feel included but had no way of contacting us. Anyway, it looks like only I will get to go - I'm the only other one on the West Coast, but I'm glad to...I'll be carrying the sorrows and good wishes and prayers of my entire graduating class. I also chose and bought our flowers for his service, which scared the **** out of me, but I emailed the class a picture of them and told them the total tab. Within 3 hours they had all responded, approving the flowers (phew) and promising in dollar amounts how they were going to repay me. I feel so lucky to have such close contact with people who are more like brothers and sisters to me.

Anyway, I'll be driving four hours to The Dalles, OR for the service, meeting Luke's parents, family, wife and son, relaying messages, taking pictures (for the class website) and taking notes so I can relay the service back to them in full. Then I'll drive the four hours back to Seattle. Whew. Sounds like a job, huh? I'm honored to do it, though I can't help but feel that there are nicer and more eloquent class members that would do a better job at representing the 70 or so of us. But the class is grateful, and no one has expressed any qualms (and they would - they know enough of my past behavior to fear what might come out of my mouth), so I'm happy to go for them. Yikes.

Anyway, this whole frenzy means that I'll not be around much until the weekend, probably. I love you all so very much, though, and will depend, really, on your psychic support on what will probably be a hard day tomorrow.

Thank you for being here, loves, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CEARA!!!!!!!

Last edited by Cerise; 06-23-2004 at 07:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2004, 07:58 PM   #32  
Empress/Queen

Happy Birthday, Ceara!
Old 06-23-2004, 09:31 PM   #33  

Hello all!

Sorry, didnt give myself enough time this am... have been offered Overtime ( one of the benefits of being a little fish... you can put in extra hours when you want ... well, when the Overtime is available) and since I consider it a compliment that I was offered only 8 days back.... so...

Still offering big congrats Empress

Cerise... you will do just fine.. .just being there will mean so much to the family... and once they realize (probably later ) that ALL the class mates sent the flowers and that it was your efforts I am sure the family will be very grateful and honored. Take care.

Ceara- Best wishes.. Have fun and hat's off to you!

Eydie-- Thanks.. and guess what showed up in the mailbox today from DS... a Fathers Day card with a lovely photo.. perhaps from a wedding or a special date... postmark shows it was stamed b/4 Father's Day but was not recvd till today. I am very glad for DH. And very glad he didnt do anything that would be embarrassing now. In fact, when rereading the post last night, I deleted most of it because I thought it must be getting boring to hear about the domestic c*** all the time. Frankly, I feel sorry for DH that he is treated this way by this children.

But enough...

Here is (was) our thought of the day:

Thought of the day :

"When you cannot make up your mind between two evenly balanced courses of action, choose the bolder."

--- W.J. Slim

Question of the day :

" If you had to name the biggest hypocrite you have ever met who would win?"
--
--From IF (2) by Evelyn McFarlane & James Saywel

Arabella-- I think I've asked b/4 but please tell me again.. and this time I have the chickpeas and am even ready to try other than tahinni.... do you make your own hummus?? I think I'm ready ....
I have dill growing in the yard...

WSW-- Hey there!! are you trying to do your routine early or late b/4 heat/ humidity get bad?? Me too...
Think the vampires might be on to something...

Wildfire! Weren't you just here a minute ago??

Anagram! How goes your week? medical issues holding their own??

Zadie-- To read by the river... and the bookstore sounds lovely...
and musical intruments nice too... if I could just play one...

anyway...

Did I mention I added 2 more flights?? Its a struggle... heart pounding... lungs gasping... but feels so good in just a few moments!!! Now that will wake you right up!!! and so far, have managed to only 1 SF Hot choc... past 2 days...
hopefully, the bloat will be gone soon too...

KETTLE IS ON!
Old 06-23-2004, 10:05 PM   #34  

Greep - it's not that long since I posted but so much is going on..........

Happy Birthday, Ceara! You're so gorgeous and healthy this year....

Cerise, go with all of our vibes at your back. It will mean so much to Luke's family and to your classmates.

Empress, a promotion is a promotion - congratulations! Sure does beat being laid off. And mayhap the other job is not yet a done deal since they weren't sure what they were going to do. May come up when least expected.

Frogger, Sydney Allison is indeed a royal name for the new little princess. Being a MIL, I don't often say "ignore the MIL" but I am this time.

Kaylets, I'm so glad the card showed up. And vent on domestic c/// anytime it works for you. Congratulations on the extra stairs.

wsw, I too have enjoyed the visual of you tooling around in your racecar.

OK, Zadie, does that mean you left the bike at work and can't bike in tomorrow if the weather's clear.

Wildfire, Prom shopping and all that excitement? Hope all went well.

Wood Nymph, slumping on couch sounds good to me right now too but not even hungry for carbs at the moment. Is the world going to end?

Punkin, I had a lot of attention from my one Grandma in my early years and I think it gave me a great opinion of myself so that's what I'm trying to replicate. A lot worked against that opinion through the years but it's still there somewhere at the core.

I have four good days behind me, enough water, and practicing relaxation techniques - today was the first I didn't fall asleep while "practicing". Am adjusting to new med and feeling better but not 100% yet. Added the water equivalent of arm weights (don't know what they're called) for 20 minutes at the pool today and will build up a bit. Still tackling the crazy bushes. I do everything only a bit at a time so it's not like it's acres of bushes.

DH's med trial starts tomorrow and will involve me giving him two shots a day in his tummy. He'll have a medical thing done next Tuesday and I'll be continuing the shots until his blood numbers are ok again. I am definitely not a Nurse Nancy and he's brave to trust me. But he was at kidney dr. Monday and things have improved again a bit. She's now allowing him his beloved Snickers bars once a week (at least until bloodwork shows otherwise). It's 22 months since he's had one. And he played golf again today.

Empress, I found the lo carb slimfast latte today and will try it tomorrow. Also saw the cinnamon bun but opted for a pb/choc snack thing as it's potassium is low enough for dh to try. I enjoyed trying it too.

Phew - what a post. I feel like I do after one of my long phone calls.

Last edited by anagram; 06-24-2004 at 10:39 AM.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:57 PM   #35  
Empress/Queen

Anagramatic, glad you are trying the slimfast so I can find out how you like it ... I drank too much of it today, though. Thought the no carb thing would protect me, but ...

Kaylets: There are several names that come to mind in conjunction with the word "hypocrite," but it'd be hard to pick out the "biggest" hypocrite because if he or she were that good a hypocrite ...

Er, mayhap you get my drift ...

Or mayhap I need to go to sleep!

Thanks for all the great support from everyone about the job thing ... it is stressing me out ... job situation, not the support!
Old 06-24-2004, 05:28 AM   #36  

Hello all!

Anagram! I could use a trick to go to sleep! Last two evenings tossed and turend nearly till midnight or later... Am wondering if its the 2 extra flights even t hough I am doing them in early morning... This is often what happens if I do aerobic activity at night.. So far, not feeling tired so we'll see...
Another benefit from excercise?? Less sleep required???

Wildfire- so glad someone else commented on prom dress shopping..
brings back memories ... Perspective... our experience was eye opening... DD 's group were all wearing "movie star" strapless, body hugging black jersey .... at $150.00 on sale...!!
I remember scouring a mall for my Senior evet to find a steal for $25 for myself in my day... and wound up wearing it to graduate in too! But then again, the 70's fashions were much less sophisticated!

Thought of the day :

"It doesnt matter how strong your opinions are, if you don't use your power for positive change, you are indeed, part of the problem."
--Coretta Scott King

Question of the day ;

"If you had to name the most dangerous thing you have ever done on purpose, what would it be?"
---
--From IF (2) by Evelyn McFarlane & James Saywel

kettle is on!
Old 06-24-2004, 09:22 AM   #37  
Empress/Queen

Well, wish me luck, s! I'm about to try to tell my sweet personal trainer that I can't afford her anymore (time or moneywise). I'm going to do the one last session I've paid for and then go on my own. I've been trained enough. If I don't know this stuff by now, I never will. The trouble is she's very motivating and I'm afraid I'll backslide if left to my own slothful devices.

Must be strong. I bought her a present. She won't care. It's just always me feeling that people care about me when they don't.

Thanks for listening.

I'm assuming you listened!

The most dangerous thing I ever did on purpose was become a journalist!
Old 06-24-2004, 03:53 PM   #38  
Empress/Queen

Talking And so it goes ...

Yo, s!!! There's an interesting pronouncement on low carb diets on the 3FC home page.

I find it amazing how much controversy there is between the low carb and high carb/low fat proponents and for how long it's been going on. Methinks the truth be out there but everybody keeps pontificating about it and that can get in the way.

A thought occurred to me whilst reading (not an original thought, I don't have those) that the South Beach Diet and the Zonish types (like Body for Life) are not really low carb diets at all (except for the induction period in SB).

Ok, I'll stop thinking. I have finished work for day and am on to taking a nap.

THE DIET!!!! is going well. (Amarantha's Diet, not to be confused with the South Beach Diet, the Zone Diet, the Body for Life Diet, the Hampton Diet, the Hawaiian Diet or the Old Dog Diet! )!

Huzzah!
Old 06-24-2004, 03:57 PM   #39  
caffeine free!

Breezing through. Hope everyone is doing OK. Work = sucks.
Old 06-24-2004, 03:58 PM   #40  
Empress/Queen

These smilies are making me want to go out for a latte. No, Amarantha!

Yes!

Sigh!

Latte! Iced frappucino with scone!

Old 06-24-2004, 05:42 PM   #41  

No, no, Empress. A nice nap instead. How did it go with trainer.

And zadie, think pleasant thoughts of reading by the river.

Kaylets, I managed to stay awake again today while doing relaxation technique so maybe I'm getting there. But I do try it if I can't get back to sleep (I almost NEVER have any trouble falling asleep - you're probably still adjusting to all the recent changes in your life - wow).

And I've never consciously done anything dangerous in my life as I'm very much a chicken so I'll just say getting married (which can be very dangerous - I was just too young to know that then).
Old 06-24-2004, 07:37 PM   #42  
Empress/Queen

Yo! It went well with the trainer, Anagramatic! She's likely relieved she doesn't have to drag me through anymore sessions! I'll actually miss having the fraternization of the sessions, but I'll be fine all by meself!

I never did get a nap as some work had to get done that I didn't know about. Won't have as much chance to work at home after the first of the month, which is ok with me, but not sure what Old Dog will think. She'll be cool, though, as she can take full-time possession of the couch ... oh, wait, she has that now.

Oh well.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:42 PM   #43  
Empress/Queen

Since this IS the Independence Day Sprint thread, I feel compelled to post something about my sprint, which I modestly call THE DIET!!!!

THE DIET!!!! is good, THE DIET!!!! is great!!!! Can't wait to "loose" the weight!!!!

I do know that it's "lose" not "loose," but "loose" is more fun! I'm cutting those four loose and sending them into outer space where no pounds have gone before.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:13 PM   #44  
wsw

ceara-a belated happy birthday!!!!!

cerise-i have been thinking about you attending your friend's funeral and representing your classmates there. it must have meant a lot to his family to have you there. i am sending you a great big virtual hug.

kaylets-wow! adding 2 more flights is pretty impressive!

anagram-glad to hear you're feeling better. hope it is no time until you are feeling 100%! glad to hear dh doing o.k. you are very brave to be giving him his shots.

zadie-sorry "work= sucks" now.

amarantha-hope things went well with your trainer goodbye. sorry to hear you're so stressed. calming and soothing vibes going out to you, empress!

i am hanging in there with my recommitment plan. i am feeling a bit like "the little engine that could," with using my positive affirmation, relaxation tape, etc. arsenal, which i am using of late, but if it works, i will keep doing it. it turns out i have really needed to do this, so i plan to remain at full throttle for the time being. have stayed op and exercised. i definitely can only get out in the early mornings with this heat. if i could stay awake, i would go out in the evening, but usually in bed before sunset these days. eons and eons ago, i used to love late night---well, i still do, but my body doesn't seem to cooperate with my wishes as much as i would like.

hi also to wildfire, arabella, punkin, frogger! and to all the courtly ones. take good care.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:49 PM   #45  

Must say I'm happy too with my five days so far. Have done the relaxation stuff each day and have had my full quota of water. PLUS nutrition/diet have been good (not that I'll ever lose any weight but at least I feel I'm healthier).

That's the joy of a sprint for me - I can be good the first part of a challenge and I can be good the last part of a challenge. So if the challenge isn't too long and there isn't a lot of "inbetween", I seem to do well unless, of course, there's a major crisis.

The LoCarb Slimfast Cafe Latte is a keeper, Empress. Something a little different about the taste that I can't put my finger on but I like it even with that mystery.

I'm with you, wsw, on the sleepy evenings. My bod wears out by late afternoon and w/o a nap (and often even with one) I'm grogged out by early evening. Easier in the summer as I spend a bit of time on the patio and sometimes some piece of fauna calls out to be and I grab pruners or weeders or whatever and keep myself out of trouble (and awake) a bit.

On to Day 6 - Only two more days and the sprint is half o'er.
Closed Thread