Old 04-22-2004, 04:55 AM   #31  

THURSDAY: Today is Time for Us Thursday. Be sure and take care of YOU today. Do something good for yourself!

MsCat: Listen honey, don't give up. I know it can be difficult sometimes, but your dh may be right. The fact is, you may not be eating ENOUGH! I know that sounds nutty, but it may be true. There is a practice called zig-zagging that weight lifters use to lose weight. Here is some info on it you may find interesting to you and may jump start you. How many calories are you taking in, do you know? Just because you are low carbing doesn't mean you can lose weight that way. I would certainly think about changing my program if what you are doing is not working and you have been on it for awhile with no results or in your case gaining. I did a 5k last October so I KNOW you can do it!

http://www.naturalphysiques.com/tools.php?itemid=64&catid=9

Sandy: Thanks for the info on the spyware stuff.

I got to go to the bathroom for the hundredth time and decided to go ahead and post for the day. I got 4 pts yesterday again. I am controlling the urge to eat in the evening after dinner again, which is good. I am not snacking at all, but part of that is that I am keeping so busy working on the house that I don't have time to become bored, which I am seeing is probably my biggest downfall with eating away from my program. One of the things I am really working hard with is the sitting and waiting if I feel hungry. I am not immediately giving in to it.

Well, girls, I should go back to bed for awhile anyway. talk to you later this morning.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: If you were a vegetable, what would your friends say you were; a cucumber, a butternut squash or a pumpkin?

Faye
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 06:45 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 249/215/165

Height: 5/5

Morning,

Mscat, have you thought that you might be gaining muscle? That can be the good thing. I know about having your metabolism messed up. I think that I too am there.

Julie, I will say a prayer for your friend's family.

Amanda WTG!

Gota run have to get ready for work. Everyone have a great day!

sandy
gigglez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:29 AM   #33  
Zookeeper

Hi all,

Sorry this is going to be so brief, but we're going out of town for a couple of days and I'm running around trying to get ready.

Congrats to everyone on your hard work!!!

I'm back on the wagon after two bad days this week, and I'm going to have to weigh in today since we'll be gone for a few days.. Hopefully no bad news there!

Take care everyone and GREAT JOB!!

Jessica
zookeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 08:52 AM   #34  
Losing It :D

Unhappy

Morning Everyone!

Mscat - I wouldnt get too upset about the plateau you have hit. You will get over it...here is an articial from drphil.com about getting over your plateau..Plateau Busters

By JJ Virgin, CNS, CHFI

Have you hit the weight loss wall? Check out the following tips to help you rev up your metabolism!

1. Be sure to get protein in at each meal. Protein is by far the most satiating and the most thermic (i.e. the process of digesting it raises your metabolism). The best sources are from animals, as these contain the complete profile of essential amino acids and are more bio-available, which means that your body can use them more effectively and efficiently. Look for low fat choices like egg whites, whey protein and turkey breast.

2. Drink up. Water that is! Even a little dehydration can dramatically impact your metabolism! You need water to burn fat and if you are drinking caffeinated or alcoholic beverages you are dehydrating your cells further.

3. Trade your starchy carbohydrate servings for more non-starchy veggies at one or two of your meals, especially your evening meal.

4. Make sure that one of your fruit servings is soon after your workout (within 60 minutes) to help store energy back into your muscles without raising insulin.

5. If possible, do two workouts some days to boost your metabolism. Just don't do cardio too late in the day and be sure to stretch afterward to bring stress hormones down again.

6. Green tea contains a compound that has been found to aid with fat burning and may raise metabolism. Drink at least 4 cups of green tea a day to get these benefits.

7. Go decaf! Caffeine can make you insulin resistant which makes you a fat storer rather than a fat burner. Trade your coffee and tea for decaf.

8. Pump some iron. Muscle dictates your metabolic rate. Each pound of muscle you add burns 40-50 more calories per day.

9. Eat small meals and snacks throughout the day. Eating raises metabolism and eating less more often means less insulin response, better blood sugar balance and fewer cravings.

10. Check your portions. Learn to read labels and ask questions at restaurants. Ask for sauces on the side and monitor how much you use. Everything counts so pay attention to how much you are actually eating and make sure you are on track with optimal amounts of protein, limiting your starchy carbs and fat and getting in enough non-starchy vegetables.

11. Read labels. Learn all of the different names for sugars and be sure you are choosing foods that are low in sugar and fat, high in nutrient value and fiber. Ignorance is never an excuse! If you aren't sure about something, skip it until you can find out if you should be eating it or not.

Hope that helps you a little....When I hit my plateau I just changed my workout a little and it helped alot!

Well Yesturday was a pretty glum day. I got quite a bit done (mopped the floor and started some flower seeds) the evening was tough, I am just getting tired of chad not comming home until 10-11 at night...I NEVER get to see him. as soon as he gets home he's so tired that he falls right asleep and in the morning he leaves at 6am I broke down last night and couldnt stop crying....cause it was around 1030 when chad got home and I barely got to talk to him and he was asleep. I think its just cause I am so lonely when he is gone...when I was crying last night he was telling me that he might be able to get another job in Alberta. So we'll see. He also told me, that if our realtionship can last this then we must have a pretty strong one. and I do Believe that, alot of people would have left months ago if they only got to see their partner for only 1 hour a day. Well I think to day will be better...so today I think that I will paint my finger nails and toe nails and, workout for an hour and have a long hot shower...

Have A Good One!
Amanda
Amanda456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:09 AM   #35  

Morning Chickies!

3 points for yesterday......not quite enough water. TOM this morning, so that partly explains the salty cravings over the past 2 days. I thought it was just stress.

Thanks for all the prayers for Hannah (my friend's daughter) She went home last night and her mom says that she is "herself" more and more. Though still dopey from the pain meds. An angel must have caught her, cuz she took all the force of the fall on her head and escaped with nearly no damage!

MSCAT---Don't give up and Don't give in to the plateau depression!!!! I SOOOO know how you feel! I have this stupid pattern of lose 3 pounds 1 week and then nothing for 3 more weeks......it's just the way my body's been working. I would seriously work on "scientifically" analyzing your diet. Which doesn't mean reading all the low carb/fad diet books on the market. Just focus on calories in/calories out. Write down EVERYTHING you put in your mouth and how many calories it has. You might find out that you are waaayyy overeating (lots of "diet food" is loaded with hidden sugars) OR you might find out that you are, indeed, undereating and sabotaging your metabolism. The ONLY way to find out is to write everything down. You don't need to judge yourself, or feel badly, or even adjust your eating yet. This is just data gathering. You're the only one who needs to know.

When I started posting on 3fc, I was in a major plateau and Faye told me to do this. I resisted for weeks and then finally did it out of sheer frustration!! And THAT was when I started taking the pounds off. She was absolutely right.....smart cookie, our Faye I should be tracking calories everyday. If I did, I'm sure I'd be under 200 by now. But the truth is, I only do it when I'm at my wits end and ready to quit. It works, it really really does. Give it a try. If you still can't figure out your stall, let us know and we'll help you figure it out. Hang in there, kiddo......you CAN do this!

Whew, that was long winded!

Amanda 456--I had about a year long stint when I was first married where my hubby was working 100 hour weeks. He slept at the office on his floor, stored spare clothes in his desk.....it was ridiculous! I often called him at 3am crying for him to come home. I think you are handling it very well by telling him how you feel!

Well, my computer is acting wonky so I'm going to post this before I lose it.
HEY, I painted my fingernails for the first time since I was like 6 or something! Woo hoo.

Later babes,
Julie
Mirabelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 09:25 AM   #36  
It is what it is...

Morning All ... I had a 4 pointer yesterday, might have been under just a little on the water, not quite sure, but I need to step it up again today....

Amanda - I know depression can be very difficult to go through, I know because I was there for like 5 years, the meds helped tremendously...I know it will get better for you so just hang in there

Amanda456 - I know how you feel, when my dh and I first got married he had to work 2 jobs, one during day and at night, I worked during the day so when I got home he was just leaving again...I was so miserable that I clung to him before he left everyday begging him to stay with me...he lost one job over it and almost lost a great one over it because he would stay home, he felt so bad...so I know it seems bad right now but things will get better and I agree with Chad - if anything good came out of it - it would be that I realized just how much I love him and want to be with him...it will be fine...

Jessica - Good job on getting back on track!!! Keep it up!!

MSCat - I know everyone has said it but dont give up!!! You may be at a temporary stall, and I know it is frustrating, but your body will kick itself back into gear...I tend to agree with Faye you may not be eating enough, the stress that at WW that you have to eat a certain amount of food to keep your body losing and to not go into starvation mode...I would go with what Julie said and start writing it all down to see exactly what is going on
Good Luck !!!

I have noticed that I better get my butt in gear and start exercising more, yeah I have had some steady weight loss but my skin is starting to sag a little and the weight loss is slowing down quite a bit...I have basically lost these first 34.5 without a whole lot of exercise which is nice but I knew it wouldnt last forever...so I am going to need encouragement in that dept girls...have a great day, check in later
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:07 AM   #37  

POINTS POINTS POINTS POINTS:

Julie
Carri
Faye

Amanda: Clinical depression can be serious so I would certainly check it out if you feel this is something more long lasting than just the "blues." On the other hand, you have had a lot on your plate lately with Nigel's mom passing and you mentioned finances so you may just be going through a grief phase also. Here is something I want you to try. Find something, anything to do for someone else. It can be actual volunteer work or something like baking a batch of cookies and taking them around to neighbors. There is nothing in the world better for the blues than to not focus on yourself and your problems but to think of others and what you can do for them. We are here for you so check in often for support!

Amanda456: HONEEEEYYYYYY, can I relate to the being lonely part. I spent 20 years with a Naval husband who would be gone for up to a year at a time and even when he was home he would be in and out a lot. I suggest to you what I told the other Amanda. Start doing for others to keep your mind occupied and your spirit up. Make sure that the little time you do have is quality time and above all TELL HIM WHAT HE MEANS TO YOU AND OFTEN. My husband did a speech at our son's wedding and when we got back to the hotel later he said, "darn, I thought of something I wanted to tell Jay in my speech today." I asked him what that was and here is what he said. "I would have told him to make sure to tell Alicia that he loves her everyday like I do with you. To kiss her and tell her that before he leaves in the morning and to always kiss her and tell her that when he goes to bed even if she is asleep." (He does this btw even if I am asleep, he kisses me somewhere on my body and tells me he loves me before going to sleep) Be his best friend and hang in there until things improve but don't get discouraged and don't get angry, just remember he is doing this for his family!

Gotta go we have a storm moving in and I don't want to be on the computer when it hits as it is supposed to be nasty.

Faye
Old 04-22-2004, 02:21 PM   #38  
Losing It :D

Wink

Thanx everyone, Its supportive to know Im not alone when it comes to things like this...I really feel better!

I'm getting pretty hungry so I think Im going to make myself some lunch I'll check in later

Amanda
Amanda456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 03:07 PM   #39  

Hello All
Well I DID make it to the gym ... at least for a while...yesterday. I felt better after lying down for a bit...just brief stomache thing, hmpf.
I've mixed up my workout for the sake of time...I used to do cardio everyday and 1/2 strenght everyday too...but...I don't really hve the time to do that for the next few weeks so I'm going to cardio MWF, weights TTH, and bother saturday...we'll see what happens Sundays.
Go Carri! The hardest part of exercising is just starting...I never...NEVER EVER thought I would be a "gym person"
Scuzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 07:03 PM   #40  

Evening ladies, hope you all did or are doing well today! I stayed OP and got another 4 pter so I am jazzed about that.

ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL CURRENT AND FORMER FUNNERS:

I know there are ladies who look in and rarely post, but I want to include you in this too. I will be sending e-mails out where I have addresses and pm's to those of you I don't.

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

Hope you girls are as excited as I am about this. I know you won't all be able to attend, but I would like for us to be able to meet in person and I had started this last year and it kind of fell through when a lot of the ladies left the thread, but it is a definite go for next year!

Have a good evening and please feel free to give me your input.

Faye

Last edited by gma22; 04-22-2004 at 07:07 PM.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:48 PM   #41  

Default Feeling Better Now!

I want to thank everyone for their words of encouragement regarding my plateau. As I said last night, I thought I would feel better this morning but as the day wore on I was still frustated. I was preoccupied with completing the steps to terminate my student worker. During his termination meeting, I almost lost it.

Then I got home and read all of your supportive comments and everything looked sunny again. I also told my dh what was bothering me and he suggested we start working out on the bowflex again so I can add strength training into my workout. Ya think my body is bored and acclimated to the cardio workouts

Satine and Julie - I am working hard to eat enough - I was going for 5 small meals a day but it is difficult to fit into my workday - I am often on the road and in and out of Detroit Public Schools all day. I also keep a daily diet diary and I don't eat white processed foods. Based on my diary I don't always get my water or fruit in. But I do well with my proteins and veggies.

Amanda456 - thanks for the article - some great tips that I can incorporate

Faye - I love your new picture! Thanks for the tips as well. I think cutting back on the treadmill to 3 times a week and adding the strength training 2 days a week will help.

mscat
mscat816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 05:21 AM   #42  

FRIDAY: Today is Fabulous Lbs Down Friday. Did you register a loss this week? Share it with us!

Morning ladies. Have to go to the commissary this morning and go shopping and that is a half day proposition so thought I had better get in here early and start my post.

MsCat: Glad you are feeling better about things. This weight loss stuff can really bring us down sometimes, but we have to keep it all in perspective. I know juggling things around will help you and get you going again and kiss that big hunk you are married to for being so supportive and helpful as many spouses are not.

I noticed the reunion is scheduled for the week after the holiday. If you and your family usually go out of town for the holiday, I would be glad to move it down a week.

Everyone have a great OP day. I got 4 pts yesterday.

THOUGHT FOR THE DAY: TO ERR IS HUMAN, TO FORGIVE DEVINE. FIND FORGIVENESS FOR YOURSELF AND OTHERS AND YOU WILL FIND YOU WEIGHT LOSS JOURNEY A LESS BUMPY ROAD.

Faye
Old 04-23-2004, 07:40 AM   #43  

Default Tgif!

Yeah! Friday is starting out great - Registered a 2 lb loss. It's not a lot since I went back up to 230 in the past two weeks, but its better than gaining or staying on that sickening plateau!

Yesterday was a 2 pointer! Got my three meals in but didn't get my veggies Will take my bag of baby carrots to make certain that doesn't happen again. But I got all my water in and a bowflex workout. I thought I was in such good shape with my consistent treadmill workouts. Now I know I have been missing some key muscles and areas of the body.

Looking back over my diary, many days I am missing some key piece of my plan - daily water, veggie intake, or fruit intake. I am good at logging my food everyday, but not so good at using the information. Will work hard to have a 4 pointer every day.

Question of the day - What does it mean when your poop is green? Is it the grapefruit juice I have added to my water? And I am pooping sensation this a.m. - diarrhea out the wazooo!

Well I am off to see my daughter Carri. She is on tour with Kent Chorale and they are performing at a local high school this morning in Michigan! Haven't seen her since Christmas.

Have a great day! mscat
mscat816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 08:35 AM   #44  

Morning Ladies!
Wow, Faye that trip sounds so fun! I went to school at Northwestern and was just thinking yesterday how much I miss Chicago. Haven't been there since 1987. If I can swing it at all, I'll be there. Probably have to make it a family trip just me and the kids.

BTW, your new avatar looks amazing!!!! Though my favorite is still the one you had when I signed on where you were looking through the tops of your glasses. Made me laugh every morning

3 points yesterday.......no exercise. Too much sewing. I'm running into crunch time for the show and sooooo much to do. THis is the part of theater that I love....the challenge of getting everything done.

So, despite a less than stellar week, and TOM......I still lost a pound this week! Woo hoo.....206. I feel like Abbot & Costello sneaking up on #199...."slooowwwly I turned, step by step, inch by inch......" ok, I'm an old movie geek.

Amanda---Hang in there girl. Grief doesn't go away overnight. The better you feed yourself and the more you can force yourself to get outside and exercise, the sooner you'll feel better. Definitely do something nice for someone and talk it out......with us or a pastor or a counselor......just don't keep it inside. Don't stuff the pain down deeper with food, either......you had just gotten to where you weren't doing that anymore and it would be very easy to do it now. HEY, I"M SO PROUD OF YOU for not eating take away. You can get through this

Amanda456--hope things are looking brighter today!

Susan--WAY TO GO on the workouts! You're doing great, girl.....keep it up!

Mscat--WOOOHOOOO on the pounds down You can do this!! btw, green poop means you have extra chlorophyll in your diet (from extra veggies) OR alot of green food coloring. I once made a red velvet cake which called for a whole bottle of food coloring........all my friends were perplexed the next morning

Sandy, Carrie, Jessica and everybody--Keep up the great work!

HAve a super day everyone...
Julie
Mirabelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 09:20 AM   #45  
It is what it is...

Morning Everyone, hope you all are doing great...

I havent lost any since Tuesday when I announced the 199 loss, the scale has been up and down a pound all week, but still 199 this morning, so I have a
2.5 pound loss since last week...I am such a scale addict, it is really getting to me lately, I feel I have to weigh in daily, which is sometimes discouraging, I used to weigh only once a week on our Fridays, I need to work hard to get back to doing that...

MSCat - That is so funny that you spell your daughters name the same as mine ( Carri )...I dont find alot of people who spell it that way...I always thought my Mom was crazy for not putting an "e" at the end of it like everyone else, but now that I am older I appreciate the different spelling.
Great Job on the 2 pound loss !!!!!!

Julie - Great job on the weight loss...yes it is taking you a little longer to get there ( 199 ) but you cant imagine how good it is going to feel ... you are goind to be there before you know it!!!

Faye - As I said in the email reply I sent you, I think the trip sounds great, and it is not that far for me in good ol Indiana!!! Yeah I will have to start saving now...

Amanda - Hope you are doing well today...

Sandy, Jessica, Susan, and everyone have a great Friday!!!!!
Satine is offline   Reply With Quote