Old 04-17-2004, 10:39 AM   #31  
Walking away the weight

Thank you! That helps a lot.
Another question, but a parenting one: DS is six-months-old and is going through this incredibly clingy phase. He wants me to carry him literally all the time. Screams if I put him down even to go to the bathroom! I just ordered a hip sling/carrier so I could maybe get other things done while he's attached to me. But is this normal? Isn't he too young for separation anxiety? He is teething - got his first two teeth, and I wonder if it's related to teething discomfort?
Loveliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 11:10 AM   #32  
Ready for ACTION!!!

Some babies do get clingy when they aren't feeling well, he may be one of those. Maybe the sling will help, but it will get heavy as he gets older. If you know he is okay and not in need, try letting him fuss some. Sometimes they will stop in a matter of a minute or two when it doesn't help their cause. Also try giving him tylenol for the teething and see if he is happier.

It is a bit young for separation anxiety, but all kids are different. But you really don't want to start holding him all the time or you will be a miserable mommy before too long. What about a swing? Some age appropriate toys? I think alot of times they just don't know what to do with themselves when mommy isn't holding them, so you even have to teach them that. I kept a little girl that would sit in her carrier happy as long as I was nearby, but would scream if I even turned my back to her. I had to get toys, sit with her and teach her what to do with them and then I could walk away easier for a bit to do something. My youngest one loved Barney videos from a very young age, I could turn it on, put him near the TV and he'd be happy til it went off. It is trial and error, but you can find what works for you and yours if you get creative enough.

Hope that helps some. Let me know if I can help you more.

Good luck!
BIGtimeLOSER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 11:55 AM   #33  
Walking away the weight

Thanks for the advice
He does love Baby Einstein videos, which gives me a break a few times a day - he's not a big napper.
Old 04-17-2004, 01:28 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 180/see ticker/130

Height: 5'1"

Default Yeah!!!!

I have to run out the door in a second, but I just wanted to post that I had WI today and I LOST 5 LBS.!!!!!!! Anyway, you guys are all great. I have a baby shower to go to and then I'm going to go walking with my Mom, but I'll read through the posts later. Just wanted to share my news.

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYONE!!!!!!!
jessivalentino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 01:41 PM   #35  
2BoysMom

Just a quick hello...weather is gorgeous again so outside we go. Got a new monitor....HUGE compared to the old one TTYL

Congrats Jessie!!!
Chubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 02:47 PM   #36  

Hey, everyone
I hope everyones having a good weekend.

Geri-WTG on the laundry. You've inspired me. I'm starting on mine as soon as I get off. Glad you got a new monitor.

Crystal-I agree about not worrying about Fridays. I think its good to relax one day a week. As soon as we can arrange to find a babysitter, we are going to watch the passion. Although, we'll probably just end up waiting till it comes out on pay-per-view. Thanks so much for your encouragement. I love my kids to death and I know its best for them that I stay home with them, but its a hard job. Most times more mentally than physically. People tell me all the time, "You are so lucky! You get to stay home with your kids" and I know this, but it makes me grate my teeth. People think its so easy. Just having someone agree that it is so hard makes all the difference. People who have a regular job get to come home in the afternoon or weekends and relax or spend quality time with their kids because they haven't seen them much. But when you are with them 24/7 you just want to get away. My husband doesn't understand. He works so hard and is always tired. He comes home and takes a nap with the bedroom door closed and I can't find the heart to disturb him but it makes me resentful. And a lot of this is my fault. I don't speak up enough cause then I feel guilty. And like you, I have no one to keep them sometimes. I have 3 sisters, but one has 5 of her own, one has a terrible time with arthritis and is raising her grandchildren and the other has a 2 yo severely ******ed child. She requires and always will require her mother to do everything for her. And maybe thats where a lot of the guilt comes in. I should be grateful I have it so easy. I envy my dh ablilty to just tune everything out. He can go to bed or relax and watch tv and not wonder what mischief the 2 yo old is into or notice the 10yo in the kitchen spilling the green koolaid. Even if I go into the bedroom with a book and close the door I still can't relax cause I know he's not really "watching" them. But I got to figure out something. I don't want my boys to grow up and remember their mom as a grouch. Sometimes I feel like the Lord is telling me if I can't find a way to be content with this then I will never be content with anything.
We are going through the same thing with the house. We even had house plans drawn up for $800. We were living in a small 2 bedroom trailer next to my parents. When we finally took our head out of the sand and realized we couldn't afford a house payment, we made a really stupid decision and moved to an apartment where we are paying $650 a month. My dh is the same way. He is really knowleadgable about most stuff and my ideas usually get shot down. Like you we are Christians and I try to abide by his decisions. I agree with Leigh though. Do some research and when you think you have enough solid information lay all the facts in front of him and spell out the pros and cons. Sometimes this works for me. Sorry for the essay.

Penny-Glad things are going well with the weaning.

Jessi-WTG

Michelle-Glad things are going well.

Spryng-Enjoy your weekend. I remember when me a dh first got married. he worked on a river barge and everytime he came home I was so excited to see him.

I went to the gym and got a really good workout. I slowly upped the incline on the treadmill to 10 degrees and then slowly lowered it back down.
We are having a family get together tomorrow and my MIL and SIL are killer cooks. I know I will probably eat too much. But I got a good workout today and I stopped and picked up a fruit and vegetable tray to offset the eating. My 2 yo has eaten all the carrots. Lets hope he's not orange in the morning.

I know this is a weight loss forum but its just so easy to talk to ya'll. Congrats to everyone who lost.
I'll be busy with laundry and cleaning today and we are staying the night at my MIL's tonight so I will "see" ya'll Monday morning.
ebeth2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 03:34 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone!! I'm not gonna get too personal, my mouth is killing me today its horrible but I took double pain meds and got my kitchen sparkling, and my batfromm clean from top to bottom and after inhaling mass bleach fumes I think Im brain fried lol.

Jessi- Congrats on your 5 lb loss!!! WTG you're doing great!!

Leigh - My six month old is the same as yours I can't leave the room to do the dishes or go to the bathroom or she'll start screaming her head off, and then last night she was up til midnight screaming I think she had gas though so I burped her and rubbed her back and none of it worked so I turned on some Ella Fitzgerald and rocked her and she fell back to sleep she loves Jazz music!! I only wish I had thought of turning on the music sooner. Another thing that soothes her is the vaccuum if she is crying and then I start vaccuuming she quiets right down and is fine til I turn the vaccuum off again lol. I felt the tip of Teagans First tooth for the first time yesterday yayyyy!!

Geri - Hoooraayyyyy for the new HUGE monitor

Well I'm gonna ice my teeth in hopes of them feeling better the doctor said they should be tolerable by tomorrow so I'm keeping my fingers crossed I almost couldnt sleep on my face last night they were so sore. Well I hope you are all well and I forgot to read page 2 of the thread so if I missed anyone on that page I'll post to you later sorry for being so lazy lol I hope ya'll forgive me
Take Care!!
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 03:56 PM   #38  
Walking away the weight

That's fantastic news - good for you, Jessi! You should give yourself a little reward - I'm thinking of buying myself something I want (not too expensive, just something small) for every 5lb loss. Then, when I reach my ultimate goal, maybe I'll make a large purchase of something I've always wanted to help celebrate.
Hip Hip Hooray for Jessi!!!!
Old 04-17-2004, 04:15 PM   #39  
Walking away the weight

Default Hello again Ladies

"Talking" to ya'll is so much fun! It really helps me a lot.
Mary: I know exactly how you feel, and there are lots of other mothers who feel the same way. There are several excellent books out there you may relate a lot to. If you're interested - one is called Mother Shock: Loving Every (Other) Minute of it. by Andrea J. Buchanan. Another great one is Operating Instructions: A Journal of My Son's First Year by Ann Lamott. The first I mentioned is especially good. I completely know what you mean about sometimes feeling resentful. DH is similar - maybe Fathers are just better able to distance themselves. He also works very hard and I feel guilty asking him to do too much. He does help a lot with housework and gives me breaks when he can (like today) so I feel like I shouldn't have anything to complain about, but I get envious that he goes out of town so much and has built-in breaks from DS because he works outside the home. I also keep wondering what lessons Liam is here to teach me - I often think a lot of it is for me to learn how to be more patient.

Michelle Rae: Sorry to hear about your teeth. I am glad to hear your six-month-old acts the same way - I suspect it's related to the teething. Anyway, I hope you're feeling better soon.

I've been doing very well today. We're going to a seafood place for dinner, so it will be very easy for me to be good. The carbs on my plan are highly specific - I'm supposed to only have the carbs that are part of the supplements (I guess so I'm having a specified number of carbs and not going overboard) so they say when I eat my one meal a day, it should not have carbs. So, it will be healthy fish for me!

My one concern is that we're meeting friends for brunch tomorrow. If that's my one meal, I'll have to figure out a way to have healthy protein minus carbs . . .
Old 04-17-2004, 04:30 PM   #40  
SAHM of 3

Okay girls, there have been lots of really good posts this go around and I hope everyone that hasn't had a chance to read them come back to do so. But for now I'll start a new thread. #152 See you there.
watkinsguru is offline   Reply With Quote