Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 02:29 PM   #31  
It is what it is...

Thanks so much Lynne and Girlie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so excited but it is also so close to the 200... I guess I will really celebrate when I see 195... ha ha
Old 04-21-2004, 02:53 PM   #32  
It is what it is...

AFternoon All Hope you are all doing well...I am good, been staying OP, just need to get the exercise thing down...I have been doing the Walk Away the Pounds dvd about once a week but have slacked off some and my body is paying the price

So what day did we decide on the weigh in day? Or was that posted here and I didnt read it....

Okay well just checking in, have a good day...
Old 04-21-2004, 06:21 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 278/268/130

Height: 5' 2"

Hi All - Mind if I join you? I can bring an upbeat attitude and a quick wit! Enough tooting of my own horn... I'm 42 pounds away from 199... HELP! I know ya'll can help me get there!

A little about me: I'm 23 and live with my puppy and kitty on a houseboat in Maryland. I have a 2 hour commute (yuck) and I go to school... so I don't have a lot of "down" time. I'm eating pretty much all Lean Cuisine meals, which I know, I know, a lot of people don't agree with, but I've had some success... and lord knows I'm not going to COOK!

I weigh in on Fridays... and this week I RE-committed myself to exercise (I do Tae-Bo and Yoga). I look forward to getting to know everyone! - Biz
Old 04-22-2004, 09:33 AM   #34  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Default Hello and Welcom

Hey there, Biz - welcome! We'd love for you to hang out! Wow, a houseboat?! That sounds neat! I watched a movie not too long ago that incorporated people living on a houseboat in New England! And that is a LONG commute! You know, there is an exercise program called Oxycise that some folks do...it involved breathing in certain patterns and strengths to build muscle, something like that, and I know many people have success with it! There is an Oxycise thread in the Exercise forum, I believe. The reason I'm mentioning it is because there is a commuter tape that I read about that people do this on the commute. Anyway, just a thought! Welcome!

Well hello Carri and everyone! I don't think I posted yesterday -- it was pretty busy. Tuesday night I didn't make it to do my WATP tape, mainly because I figured I'd just gone to the gym that morning. I don't need to overdo it and get burned out. Once a day is just fine...even once every other day would be fine. I just sort of get into a routine and it seems weird if I don't go. Last night I went to the gym and warmed up with 15 mins on the bicycle and I did a whopping 50 minutes on the elliptical. I've been able to do 45 and I felt okay at 45 that I decided to do the 5 minute cooldown at the end this time...I was so proud of myself! i couldn't decide what I wanted to eat for dinner last night so I didn't eat anything...I took a nap and then got up to go to the gym...and i had a headache after my elliptical glory. That's not good! So I had some pretzels and a Lean Pocket before bed.

I think part of doing the cardio for me is all in the music. If I didn't have my CD player with me, I don't think I could do it. It keeps my pace going.

It's worth it though, because I am wearing a shirt that I haven't worn in a while today...I finally feel like it looks good enough to wear. Silly, I know, but we all have our moments LOL!

Where are you all...come on and let us know how you are doing!

Girlie
Old 04-22-2004, 11:01 AM   #35  

Smile hi i'm new here!!

Hi there ,

I have been dieting and exercising since jan.24/04...was at my all time heaviest at 240( I am 38,married with 2 boys..14 & 18)as we are all the same I have had a habit of putting myself last for a long time...well...I decided to get healthy and lose the weight by my 40th birthday!!!
I have lost 30 lbs by watching my carb intake..swimming every am and adding walking 5-7km 3-4 days a week!
It hasn't been easy but my husband has been my biggest cheerleader and walks with me when he can eats what I eat and has lost weight himself!
I would like to be under 200lbs by the end of May...I don't know if that is possible...I seem to have plateued for the last few weeks..any ideas to jump start me into losing again???Any help would be great, this website has been so great and having other people to talk to with the same weight issues I think will motivate me further...Have a great day!!!! I would love to buddy-up with someone with the same goals!!

jilly65

Last edited by jilly65; 04-22-2004 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:56 AM   #36  
It is what it is...

Well I am more than a little discouraged right now, I made such a big deal about seeing 199 on the scale on Tuesday and now have went back up to 201 and it is sticking there, I havent changed anything I have been doing, still staying OP, and still nothing...maybe I am going through a plateau after losing the first 34.5 pounds, I dont know, I could just be holding water for some reason, but I will press on and see what happens...
Hope you all have a good day...didnt mean to come on and just bellyache
Old 04-22-2004, 12:00 PM   #37  

Default Grandma also

[QUOTE=lgroh]undefinedundefinedundefinedHi, I am new but feel out of place. I am a 60 yr old Grandmother who weighs in at 204, I need to lose not only for health reasons but for my own self esteem.

I am a grandma of 5 and I am 50 years old. I am going to overeaters anonymous and having a really hard time not overeating or not eating candy etc. when tempted. I have not started walking yet, but I need to desperately. Most of the people at OA are younger than I am. I think I may need a more defined plan in addition to Overeaters. One thing I have started to realize is when I am cramming food all day or sometimes when I really have the urge to eat, what has happened to cause the craving. Usually stress from an emotion. I.E. Each time I recognized it was my son not coming home at night-he is on probation and has a 9pm curfew. I am trying to let him suffer natural consequences, but that is not working very well. If they don't show up to spot check on him then nothing happens. Anyway good luck. The idea of the 199 group trying to reach that number sounds good to me. Jodi
Old 04-22-2004, 01:56 PM   #38  
A Mighty Thump

Height: 5 feet 4 inches!

We could pick Monday as a weigh in day. I used to visit an Atkins community and they had weigh in threads, one started each week. Those threads were really good motivators and gave a lot of support.

I think having a weigh in day is a great idea!
Old 04-22-2004, 03:42 PM   #39  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

Talking

Welcome to everyone new!
We're glad to have you on board. We're all going to make it through this, one day at a time.

Satine, congrats on the 199, even if it is only one day a week! (That's one more day than I'm there!)
You're only supposed to weigh yourself once a week for that very reason. But, who am I to talk, I weigh myself many times a day! But I only count one per week as "official." Right now it's Friday mornings, but that is subject to change without notice.
Everyone remember that your weight can vary by something like 6-8 pounds in a 24-hour period. Weigh-in at the same time of day, and at the same point in your routine. Hint: your lowest weight is first thing in the morning, after your trip to the bathroom and before your shower or cup of coffee.

Speaking of coffee.... I'm on about my third cup today.
Don't worry, it's decaf. I started putting in my creamer and syrup and then I looked at the calorie content--it's ridiculous! I mean, I knew it's mostly sugar, but geez! So this cup is black.
Oh, and I discovered cheddar cheese mini rice cakes. 9 of them only have 70 calories. They were on sale so I grabbed some, figuring they would be ok but nothing really to shout about, but man! was I wrong! When did rice cakes start being tasty? They taste like cheesy popcorn. I love it when I find low-calorie stuff that tastes yummy!

So here's my poll for the day: what's your favorite low-cal/low-fat/low-carb (according to which diet you're on) treat? I'd love to hear as many suggestions as you've got.

Some other favorites of mine: low-fat string cheese, as many cucumbers as I can eat, popsicles (especially the 100% fruit variety), FF or SF fudgesicles... mmmm, low-fat pudding or yogurt, SF jello, roasted soybeans (I really like the wasabi ones, but the plain ones are good too), a few nuts (not too many though, because they're high in fat--but it's the Good fat!), raw cauliflower, snap peas, sushi (depending on what kind), bananas, dried cranberries and/or raisins, popcorn, a slice of lunchmeat, hard-boiled eggs, 2 or 3 Hershey Kisses (when only chocolate will do), English muffins.... the list goes on and on, doesn't it? What can I say? I like food!

Oh, and I figured out something else last night... how long it's going to take me to get to my goal. Right now I'm aiming for less than 1800 calories a day, plus burning 200 calories in exercise 5 days per week. I'm usually coming in under that on the calorie count. I know 1800 sounds like a lot, but the 3FC calculator says that if I want to weigh 150 I need 2027 per day, so anything less than that is good enough for me. My caloric needs at my current weight are 2462 per day, so knocking it down to 1800 would save 662 calories daily, times 7 = 4634 calories saved per week. Add 1000 for exercise = 5634. Divide by 3500 calories per pound = 1.6 pounds lost per week. If I want to lose 75 pounds, divide 75 by 1.6 and that's 46.9 weeks to my goal. I figured it out at different calorie intake levels, the lowest being 1500 cals/day giving me about 34 weeks. Cutting that additional 300 calories a day would get me to my goal 3 months earlier. I could be there by the end of the year.
I know that formula doesn't incorporate how my body uses calories differently as I lose weight, or as I gain muscles, so I'll have to recalculate occasionally. But the point is that it seems a lot closer when I can break it down into weeks like that. 47 weeks seems a lot shorter than a whole year, you know? Weeks are easy, I handle weeks all the time, weeks are short. Years, however, seem to take.... well, years, getting here. But just one more week I can do. I like to break it down into little tiny things because I know I can do little tiny things. I can meet my goals this week. That's all I have to do, just manage this week. I'll do it again next week, but I'm not going to worry about it until then. Right now is the only moment that matters, the choices I make right now.

Okay, sorry for that really long ramble. I'm taking a break from a project and my brain needed something to think about besides being grammatically correct (I'm a tech writer, btw. Or at least I'm hoping to be a tech writer as soon as I get a real job. Right now I'm just freelancing, i.e. working retail), so I give it a break and then it won't shut up. Okay, back to editing. Whee.

~Miss E
Old 04-22-2004, 04:24 PM   #40  

Smile Here we go again...

Hello all,

I'm Lisa. I'm 24 years old. I have two little girls and am about to be married on July 4th 2004. I started gaining weight when I was in the first grade and I guess I never stopped. I always wanted to be normal and healthy like everyone else but just couldn't seem to get there. After having my second daughter in 2000 my weight ballooned to 289.5 lbs. and I was miserable. I started to try to lose weight in 2001 and was more determined than ever before. A year later I had made it to 199 lbs.! I was SO happy. In the process of losing the weight I met my fiance and I got off track big time! I slipped right into my old ways and gained almost all of it back. Now, at 257 lbs., I find myself once again faced with the weight battle and am slowly starting the process of getting back on track. Strangly my upcoming wedding is not the main focus for my weight loss but rather to just lose the weight and be happy with myself. Wish me luck! \

**Lisa**
Old 04-22-2004, 09:02 PM   #41  
One step at a time...

S/C/G: 236/236/166

Default Evenin' ladies!

Hey all, my name is Jenn and I've been reading this for a couple of days and just decided to join you as you quest to "onederland" since that is where I intend to go anyways....

I am currently 213# at 5'10.5" tall and have just set my goal for when I want to reach that glorious place where I no longer have to move the big weight on the scale over 4 times just to start.... That goal is for me to hit 199 by my mom's birthday (June 14th) because I have to go to a wedding on June 26th and I want time to get a new outfit for the big event...

Wish me luck and best of luck to all of you... and remember to aim for the moon because even if you miss, you'll land among the stars!
Old 04-22-2004, 09:17 PM   #42  

hey is evening here went for a 6.5km walk did it in 1 hour so that was good...but.... when Zi got home I was famished and ate 3 low fat oreos...oooppps!!
Hope tomorrow is better!!
talk to you guys tomorrow am!!
jilly
Old 04-23-2004, 05:21 PM   #43  
Bacon Girlie

S/C/G: see signature

Height: 5/4

Hello, Everyone! I'm sorry I've been so absent...the past couple of days have been crazy at work! It is SO nice to see some new "faces" here! Welcome to all of you...it seems like everyone in the right thinking mode.

I didn't go to the gym last night but I did go this morning and did a really great 35 mins on the elliptical. Not as long as the other night, but just as hard since I was pressed for time. Awesome. You know what, it didn't even hurt at all. I'm getting to the point where I KNOW my body can do it, it's just a matter of not getting bored and wanting to stop. Really great music helps...my all-time favorite CD to burn fat to is by Prodigy!

I'm glad that you all seem like you're being very concious of what you're eating. just remember, we all eat "bad" things at times...just realize that you are adding more calories to your bodies and that means you have to try to burn some of those calories off. I didn't know there was such a thing as Low-Fat Oreos. I wouldn't say there's anything wrong about eating three of them...I wouldn't stop there! Regular Oreo's are my weakness and my husband loves them...if they are in the house, the two of us will go through a pack of them in a week...a cookie here, a cookie there....etc!

I had to have some bloodwork taken today so I made a hearty dinner last night of baked chicken, pasta and stir-fried Chinese cabbage (yummmy!). I couldn't eat or drink anything but water from 9pm until about noon today and I was starving! I was going to stop somewhere before I had to head to work, but I went home instead and had leftovers which would have been healthier.

I have a softball game tonite...our team is doing really well!!! I might go back to the gym tonite if I don't end up doing anything after the game. A couple girls are meeting for drinks late tonite and if I go, I'll want to burn enough calories for a beer before I go lol!

Have a great weekend everyone, and keep posting!

Girlie
Old 04-23-2004, 11:46 PM   #44  
brookypooh

S/C/G: 213/see ticker/120

Height: 5'6"

Wink i would love to be involved in your chalenges.

Hi everyone my name is Brook i am a mom and a fiance from MI. I am getting married next year june 4 and really really want to reach that goal weight. I would love to be involved in any chalanges you all set because thats the kind of push that i need for my self. i am so glade to have found this website. good luck in your goals mine are:

sw 215 cw 215 gw 130 by may 1 05 have to make sure the dress fits before the last minute.

brook

to

Last edited by brookypooh; 04-23-2004 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-24-2004, 04:02 AM   #45  
sassy*scots*gal

Default hello all.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satine
Thanks so much Lynne and Girlie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am so excited but it is also so close to the 200... I guess I will really celebrate when I see 195... ha ha
It's so nice to see some happy people visit here. I'm Amber and I'm a newie. I'm a dieter for events. Done atkins a couple of times for a month each-both times lost 1 stone, but no motivation to keep it off!!
Have a wedding to attend late June and deliberately bought a dress one size too small in december, but not done anything to try and get into it yet Until now that is!!
Started the slimsteady 4 week plan today. Has anyone tried it?? All about sensible low fat eating, mixed with exercise which builds up over the 4 weeks.
I currently weigh 180lbs, but at only 5'2" it puts me in the obese category. Not nice when people call you that!!
Anyways, be nice to hear from you folks, any good tips for staving off the hunger?? What diet/exercise do you all do that's working??
Closed Thread