Old 05-11-2004, 08:26 PM   #46  
Member Florida Chick

Hi: I guess I am in a minority, as I do like Dr. Phil. He tells it like it is, doesn't mince words and expects people to listen and put into practice the helps that he gives. but he also can be very kind and does a lot of nice things for people. Those people on his weight loss challenge have done very well. Or at least most of them. I think that there are maybe a couple that just haven't really done what is needed to make the program work. Guess we will find that out soon. And he is helping a lot of teens.

My personal opinion is that most people don't really like to face the truth about what makes them the way they are, myself included, and so when he comes on strong like he does, people get turned off, rather that face the facts. Just my opinion.

Making Dr. visits this week, and also have a mammogram. Fun fun.
Barb: Good luck with your program.

Magnoliamouth: Every pound down is a good thing. It is so hard not to want to lose it all fast, when it took time to put it on. we are a nation of folks that want instant gratification, I think. Keep up the good work.

Candice: the cookie recipe sounds good. Four points per cookie? But I am also a cholesterol watcher.

Talk to you all later. Ann
Lizziepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 01:45 AM   #47  

Rain here but not enough yet, we are very dry....got some yard work done in the light rain again. We need to mow again...just can't get DH too excited about it untill it gets to your knees!

I do not think I will ever beable to give up my cookies! Last I checked my cholestrol was 167 and that was 2 years ago. It was down form 205 since I had lost weight. ( But I was not eating as many cookies then either...maybe I need to get it done again!)
Candicej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 09:23 AM   #48  
Citizen of the World

It was dry here also until this week. We had rain Sunday and Wednesday. Now today looks like and all day soaker. So maybe it will come your way, Candice. I did lots of planting on Tuesday. Always happens----I bring home a trunk load of plants and by the time I spread them around the yard it looks like NOTHING. I'm not even close to done but still............Now some cooler temps are predicted so I'm glad I didn't get too many impatiens in yet. The alyssum and herbs can take it a little cooler so no prob there. Still have lots of tulips, lilacs and azaleas blooming along w/a few other things so still looking quite springy.

Spent Tuesday night in the ER checking on a possible detached retina. I saw some mighty unusual things in my eye. They finally determined it was not detached but there was something in my eye that shud not be there so told me to see ophthamologist the next day. I did that and it is not a detached retina but a bunch of other stuff floating around in my vision. It's VERY annoying! I keep washing my glasses but it doesn't do any good.
Siwaoasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 11:06 AM   #49  
Member Florida Chick

Siwa: sounds like you have 'floaters'. Me too. I was told that after a while they can sort of settle in your eye and not be too troublesome. And that is true. Now the only time I am truly aware of them is if I look at water, like when I am in the swimming pool. Then I know that I have some small polliwogs in my eye. I can sympathize with you. But time will help. It is scary the first time it happens.

Had an interesting test today. At one time I had the H-pylori bacteria, which causes stomach ulcers. Thought it was all cured, but learned you can get it again. And I have been having some of the same recurring symptoms as before - so- Dr. said no blood test as that now would always show positive. There is a new one where you fast over night, then next morning blow air into test tubes, drink some stuff, wait 15 minutes and then blow air into two more test tubes. A very simple test. If it is not positive, then I guess they will have to look for something else. Oh joy.

Candice: enjoy your cookies always in moderation of course. :

Hi All. Where is everyone? Ann
Old 05-13-2004, 07:06 PM   #50  
Citizen of the World

ANN--I've had floaters in my other eye for a couple years but this was something different. I saw dark, wide ribbons swirling across my eye which widened and dissapated by turning into thousands of dots. This happened 3 times in a couple hours. I talked myself out of calling a dr until talking to a friend about it 5 hours later. Then I called our insurance hotline and the nurse told me to go to the ER now. That frightened me so I went. Turned out to not be vision threatening. Now I have a couple big floaters in the 2nd eye after the ribbons disappeared. It took me about a yr to get used to the floaters the 1st time. Now I keep thinking I see something and turn to look at it and realize it's IN my eye. Very annoying. I also have retinal puckering which makes for blurry vision and straight lines have dips in them. My eyes are so precious to me cuz I'm a visual person and all this at age 54 makes me wonder how I'll make it to 80 and 100.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:44 PM   #51  
Member Florida Chick

Siwa: Oh you'll make it. My hope is that I never get maculara degeneration. i have a couple of friends with that, and my DH SIL has it. That can really be tough. I would have headed to the emergency room too, as you describe your experience. I know, I often turn my head and think I see something. It is annoying, or I think there is a bug flying around. I get it mostly when there is nothing else in the line of vision, like looking at water, or out a window. Fun Fun.

So glad it turned out not to be vision threatening. Hope you have a good weekend. Ann
Old 05-15-2004, 12:20 AM   #52  
Citizen of the World

ANN--I'm just feeling sorry for myself cuz everything seems to be going wrong at once. Seeing a dermatologist next week for a patchy unhealing spot on my face. I didn't wait around w/that one once I realized this thing was not going away. Skin cancer is ALL over in my background, including both my parents. ----I'm feeling OLD!
Old 05-15-2004, 05:55 AM   #53  
Maggi

ok gang, I'm a slug and not being very good with my posting or my getting into 3fat chicks, but I can say, I have been maintaining my diet and exercise! I have missed you guys but everything seems to get into my way. Lots of emotional issues with my grandson that is living with us, have gotten me down. I just say a lot of silent thanks it hasn't thrown me off my own goals. Most days it makes me feel sooooooo old and out of it all. I am down to 165.5 which leaves me 25.5 pounds to goal and I am considering dropping down another 5 pounds, but waiting to see when I reach 140 pounds. I want to know how that feels and see how it goes from there. The other 5 pounds is reasonable but I also know long term maintenance may be a defeater.

CandiceJ: girl I understand you on those cookies! I have tried to subsitute low-fat graham crackers 2 at 120 calories, health valley Double choclate 3 at 140 calories, or chocolate chip rice cakes 2 at 120 calories for my old favorites. I keep pushing that good health low-fat eating and telling myself, you want to eat the fat, or take it from your A--.

Ageoldie: back on 5/8 you said you were doing dr phi's diet with another group, how is it working for you? As I said I'm not a fan of his but will give his diet a try if I hit a bump in mine. Actually something I think, it is good to switch diets during a long term diet, I think it helps the boredom of the same ole plan.

Lizziepie: I am glad his plan is working for you and for others, sometimes some diets don't work for some, or as you said they don't want to be honest with themselves and really lose the weight. The biggest fight is within ourselves I believe. I know mine is. My mind has to be ready, not just my body or my desires, or we'd all be slim, cute etc.. I think some body types and/or some people just do better on some diets. I think it is a mental thing to. As far as me, I know I feel less deprived if I can choose between many kinds of things. I am also not that big of a meat eater, even though I like chicken and fish.

Siwaosis and Lizziepie: What can you do about the floating thing in the eye? Is it just age or what, does it go and come? Sometimes I feel like I need to wash my glasses and then it still looks cloudy. I need to make an appointment for an eye exam, but hate to have my eyes dilalated. Somebody fuss at me about this!

Siwaosis: Don't feel sorry forself to long, everybody needs a good waller in the mud, but you are a survivor so don't let it get you down. And don't let it kick your diet and goals out of the door!

I am so glad to be able to get caught up with you chicks and see what all has been happening. Here in Central fl we were supposed to get rain, didn't happen! We need some it has been so hot and humid. I got a little wild yesterday and planted some yellow crook neck squash amoung my dh's palm tree landscaping, he didn't like it but didn't say anything too bad. I also planted some strawberry plants up by the side of our screened porch. I love how strawberry plants look and can't wait to pick them too.
magnoliamouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 06:27 PM   #54  
Member Florida Chick

Siwa: Magnoliamouth is right. we all need a good time of 'wallering' now and again, but just don't let it be a habit. And by all means get to the dermatologist. My DH and i now go every 6 months. he has had several places which wouldn't heal especiall on his nose. but she takes care of it. He spent so much time in the tropics and out on the wing of the bridge of ships that he had a lot of sun exposure.

Magnolia: We were looking for rain too. And so far, nothing yet. We do need it. There was a peice in today's paper about the lake levels going down. How old is your Grandson? I haven't really followed Dr. Phil's diet program. I was doing the South Beach for a while and now am back to WW. I really thing that is the best overall program for the long haul.

Candice: I just don't bake anymore, and yesterday i spent a lot of time looking a cookies and all their calories, fat content, and possible points. And ones that didn't have partially hydrogenated fat. Hard to fine those, but finally settled on some organic chocolate ones called NewmansO;s. Haven't tried them yet. Our Granddaughter, and husband and their baby(can you believe a great grandchild) are coming on Monday, so I am saving them to break out when they come.

Hi Barb, kate, Alice. Hope everyone has a good weekend. Ann
Old 05-16-2004, 07:50 AM   #55  
Maggi

Default No rain no cookies, but a shaply body on the way!

Lizziepie

Good thing on going to the doctor, faster treated faster healed. No rain still yet, but thankfully we have a sprinkler system. The worst part is it stays overcast and humid. I'd rather have the rain or sunshine, just make up its mind!

How is the South Beach diet? When I get to my last 10 to 5 pounds I may switch to something else, and I was thinking of either south beach or The Zone, but also, I may stick to what is more reality based for me real food and counting calories.

We ate at Applebee's last night and they are coming out with a Weight watchers menu, he tells the calories, protein, fiber and I think carbs. I had the Grilled Talipea with a mango sauce last night 340 calories, and my hubby and I split a chocolate raspberry cake, which was 230 whole and 115 for each of us. I had the calories banked cause I knew we were going out somewhere. It was good and I felt filled, they quite a bit more on their menu, check in your town and see if they are doing it there to.

Weight watchers is good, and they have a good plan to flow you right into maintenance. We all know it is hard to diet, but I think keeping it off is much harder than losing it. I am bulking up for the end goal keeping it off, doing everything I can think of to help me do it, and mostly just trying to educate myself on the whys and whatfors.

Did you check the organic food Health Valley and if so how did they compare to the ones you have. This may be probably wrong, but right now I am only counting my daily calories so some of the fat calorie watching falls into that, but I don't really watch that as close as I should. I know it will be something I will need to pay more attention to during maintenace of my weight.

Hope ya'll are having a good weekend and as fat-free as possible.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:44 AM   #56  

Well, I'm pretty sore from workng outside yesterday for 6 hours then doing wash, and cleaning the kitchen and small freezer...was on my feet for 12 hours straight! I used muscles I didn't know I had while balancing on a board I use to walk on over the garden, you would have thought I was surfing! ( I thin board at that!) been eating lettuce and radishes form the garden..Yummmm!
Old 05-17-2004, 07:31 AM   #57  
Maggi

Well yesterday I did not exercise and didn't drink my water, I did stay on food plan, knee is killing me from weather. But today I am going to be all over it. I am also hoping my DDR pad and DVD arrives early am so I can play with that. This is not going to be long not much to say and I want to get my treadmill done, and I always drink at least 24 oz while I'm doing that so it is killing two birds with one stone.
Old 05-17-2004, 09:26 AM   #58  
Citizen of the World

Just normal everyday stuff going on here. It's been a little too cold to plant things in the garden yet. I had begun and then it changed to cold so I'm holding off on some of the more tender plants. Problem is others are buying the stores out of things that I also want. I don't want to store them near a window so I just don't buy til I can plant. What are others doing? planting and then planting again when the cold gets their 1st plants? Serves them right. I understand that we're all anxious to get gardening after a long cold winter but.........All the dahlias were sold out at one store and it's still 2 weeks til they shud be planted.

I have an outing planned today w/a GF. We're going to an art exhibit, lunch and then a special grocery. Sounds odd, I know. The store is Aldi--don't know which part of the country they're in other than here. We hear that they have fantastic prices on many produce items and some other things. There is not one located near either of us so when we found out that there's one near the art exhibit we added that to our plan for the day. GF's sister in Ohio shops at Aldi all the time and says the deals are too good. One must pay $.25 to rent a cart which is recovered when the cart is returned and they don't supply bags. Just a couple ways they keep the costs down. Hoping to come home w/lots of veggies for the week.

MAGNOLIA--Your dinner at Applebees sounds good. They are one of my fav chain restaurants. You're doing so well on you wt loss. Such determination. Keep it up.

CANDICE--Were you walking on the board in the garden because the soil was wet? Does that mean you've had rain? We had rain again last nite. Tulips still going strong. We have a new anti-deer device we're trying this year. It's a motion detector that sprays water. Last year the deer ate the hostas to the ground so hoping to stop that from happening again this year. I keep forgeting that the sprayer is there when I walk out to that particular garden but it stops me before I get wet.
Old 05-18-2004, 05:28 AM   #59  

Siwa, we did get an ich but need much more, and I used the boards so I do not compact the soil. I still hsve cucumbers and zucchini to put in and been potting my stuff in the garage and leaving it in until this last fron passes due to the wind factor. Everytihng out here blows away!

Yard work today, the shovel and my hips do not get along very well! All my iris are blooming and smell delightful! Brought a bouquet in, filled to vases.
Old 05-19-2004, 04:10 PM   #60  
Citizen of the World

Perfect day for gardeining but I just came home from the dermatologist. The unhealing spot on my face is only an inflamed seborrheic keratoses. In other words, nothing to worry about. She froze it today and retuning in 4 weeks for recheck and a full body check.

We bought a truck load of plants yesterday but no time yet to get them into the ground. Hoping it will be nice again tomorrow. I'm ready for a full days work. That "special" grocery was a disappointment. I guess they have different things every time you go in so you can't go expecting to find certain items. It quenched our curiosity anyway.