Closed Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 01:29 PM   #1  
The Rockinghorse Gal

S/C/G: 238/230/130

Height: 5'2"

Default Thread title question

Ladies,

I'm going to post this in a separate thread for discussion so as not to disturb the chit chat threads.

Years ago when we started this group we were called the featherweights...that name never did much for me, and the three or four of us who were among the original group decided to rename ourselves. We decided upon the Jaded Ladies, hence the group we now have. Well, at the time I had a strong objection to numbering of threads and requested that we name them by month...no one had a problem with that so that was what we did. I got busy with my courses and was away for a while and when I returned we were back to the infernal numbering again. Its a silly thing but I absolutely despise numbered threads. What is the general consensus...do others feel like I do? Do you have a preference for numbers? Do you not really care one way or the other?

I would like to know what percentage of folks feel what way. Please drop a word or two here and let me know? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2004, 02:15 PM   #2  
GmaTo8

You already know how I feel - we have been doing fine with the numbered Chit Chat threads here for a long time - we're up to # 38 and no body yet has complained, til now! It's short, to the point, and easy to find for newbies.

Anybody else?
Old 03-23-2004, 09:04 PM   #3  
199/131/115

While I don't mind the # threads I think they might be a tad
intimidating for newbies; myself included as I are one. *g*

Makes sense there the perfect venue for keeping up to date on
the day to day happenings in everyone's life that's posting in
them. That said it would be nice too if there were other active
threads going on like an Ode to Spring or Screw Winter

The numbered thread[s] do have a closed feel at times.
Almost like it would be an interruption to post there.
Kind of like the web equivalent of new girl in school syndrome.
Only without the zits. Most days.

Did any of that make a lick of sense? Didn't think so but took
a shot anyway...

Skew
Old 03-23-2004, 09:45 PM   #4  
One day at a time

S/C/G: 220/191/186

Talking

I am with keeping the numbered threads. Like Jana said, they are short, to the point and I just plain old prefer 'em.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:46 PM   #5  

Height: 5'1"

I don't mind either way. As long as I know where I need to go to yap!!

So, if you want to call it "Yapper's Anonymous" or "Chit Chat #_" either way works for me!! ( I think I do need to go to Yappers Anonymous!! Especially if I've been on my own all day!! Can't keep that bottled up)
Old 03-23-2004, 11:16 PM   #6  
kitty Momo

I did put my *vote* in on the Chit Chat thread but will do it again here.

I prefer Chit Chat____# It is uniform and I like that.

Think we can be creative in other ways, like in the title of our post and with the icons.
Also, there are enough threads that have different titles.Chit Chat just makes it easier, because that is basically where I write.....certainly don't have time to search.

IMHO
Old 03-24-2004, 01:29 AM   #7  
Give me strength

S/C/G: 299/261/250

I like the numbered system too...
But can live with whatever...just as long as someone guides me where ever

Angie
Old 03-24-2004, 01:56 AM   #8  
a work in progress

I like the numbered threads because it's easy to figure out where to post, and also which threads are the most recent. Once a number gets up to about 4 pages, a new thread starts. Since I only get to post every few days and the threads move so fast, it helps me keep up with all the latest news. Kind of like if I let the newspapers pile up for a couple of days, I can check the dates and read the comics in chronological order so the story lines make sense

Until Skew mentioned it, I never thought that maybe some newbies might feel intimidated or that they were intruding by jumping into the middle of a numbered thread. Everyone welcomed me so quickly and invited me to the Chit Chat thread right away. But I do remember feeling a little overwhelmed because there was so much to read, and I did feel a little like I wasn't sure where to start, or if I'd be making people repeat themselves...

More creative titles for the threads are a neat idea, but trying to name them by month or season isn't very practical, since the threads are full within a few days. I looked at the last few and this is how long they lasted:

#34 3/5 12 noon - 3/11 4:13 pm
#35 3/11 4:16 pm - 3/15 2:15 pm
#36 3/15 2:54 pm - 3/19 4:37 am
#37 3/19 4:40 am - 3/22 8:27 pm

What about...something like..."Chit Chat #37-Spring has sprung!" Or "Chit Chat #38- Marti's getting hitched!" Or something silly like that - whoever starts the thread can put in a comment in the title if they want, just put Chit Chat and the # first so we know where to go. Would that work?
Old 03-24-2004, 08:35 AM   #9  
GmaTo8

Wow - the responses by our regular posters are overwhelmingly for the chit chat #___ , either by those who prefer it, or those who don't mind and only 2 for renaming.

For those who say there is a lot to read - that will be the case no matter what we call the thread. Just a note- you can go to your "cp user" option and change how many posts are on each page. I have mine set at 30, so no thread goes past 2 pages long.

This group is known for our warm welcome to newbies, and no matter what the title is, they will be jumping into the flow of things.

The only ones who haven't voted are ones who do not post on a very regular basis, and Kayecee. Kayecee's vote either way will not be enough to change the tally. I think this has been conducted in a very diplomatic way and since the majority of the vote is already for chit chat __ , that is how we will keep it.

This thread is officially closed.

Jana
Closed Thread