Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 06:02 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 272/245/174

Height: 5'10

Default New Year, New Goals, New Me, Week 8

I was up a pound at yesterday morning's weigh-in. I think it is more attributable to regular fluctuations and a Mexican food binge the night before, and I don't think that it is a real reversal. I did meet my primary goal of the week to start exercising. I reacquainted myself w/ my gym. I've been paying for it every month, and now I am going to use it! Next week will show a loss.

Hope everyone is doing well.

I've decided to start copying some of my journal entries here - - I find I've been spending a lot of time typing twice, so here is part of this morning's entry:

Yesterday was my clothing shopping orgy. Linda went with me, because I really have no sense of style whatsoever. There was a great sale at a men's clothing store that I like, and I took care of everything there. I am now all set. I had told the salesman that I had lost 40 lbs and was still losing. I had put off buying anything and really looked like crap and that, because of upcoming trip, could not put off buying any more. Rather than getting stuff that was a little too small, I got stuff that fit me now. Hopefully, I can take it in later. And, if I have to do this again in a year, it will be worth it.

After having had a decent breakfast, I screwed up by not eating before going to the clothing store. I thought I'd be about an hour. Well, 2 1/2 hours later, I was famished and I ate too much. Linda wanted to go out for dinner again to celebrate yesetrday's bonus (this time w/out the kids), and I took another little vacation off the diet. But, today, I'm back. Really. I mean it this time. No kidding. This is it. New day, new start. Where have I heard this before?

This morning, the whole family is going to the gym. That's definite. My son is proving to be a very good inspiration - - he's been getting into pick-up basketball games w/ other kids and is loving it. He always wants to go. My time and intensity on the eliptical trainer is picking up, and the weight lifting is coming along nicely. It is good to have exercise back in my life, and I feel much, much better. I know this will make a huge difference long term.

Dan

Last edited by dannyb; 02-22-2004 at 06:14 AM.
Old 02-22-2004, 06:01 PM   #2  
Not Giving Up

Height: 5'9"

Dan

Way to go on your shopping spree. And you know what a compliment you gave about your wife. And I have to say that you will be quite a spiffy looking couple while you are gone on your holidays. How old is your son? Do you play basketball with him also? Oh and I was thinking after you are finished losing all your weight, your wife and friends can nominate you to go on that TLC show What not to Wear. Nothing to do with your style or your clothes, just that you would get a free new wardrobe. I don't know if you have ever watched that one, as my hubby hates it and really does everything he can to keep the channel changed when it is on.

Well Chachee what are your goals for this next week? I think that I am going to start back on the SBD and work on drinking water for the week. I have a wedding to attend in 3 months, and I was told that not going was not an option.

Hi Audrey, how is your weekend going? Any goals for you this week that could help me out also?

Actually my biggest problem I guess is that I have been feeling sorry for myself. I really don't know why so that will be my biggest goal. AN Attitude adjustment.

Well I must run and start supper. Enjoy what is left of the weekend everyone.
Old 02-23-2004, 07:54 AM   #3  

Hi, Lucky. I'm switching more to a SB diet this week, too. I had been doing more of an Atkins thing, and I want to do some more fiber and fruits & vegetables than that allows. Since I've been picking up the exercise, I think that I will do very well on it. I hadn't seen that show, but Linda says I'd be a natural for Queer Eye for the Straight Guy - - as the one who gets the makeover, of course.

My journal entry for this morning:

I'm feeling great this morning - - I woke up around 5:00 am and visualized what the "future me" would do - - and I did it. I got up and went to the gym. Had a great session on the eliptical trainer and worked my abs (yes, I suspect there are abs down there -- somewhere). Couldn't do a full weightlifting, as I did that yesterday -- during another really great workout session. Came back home this morning full of energy and had a decent breakfast and walked my daughter to the bus stop - - a

which is a treat for her - - she usually does the nearly half mile walk by herself.

Its going to be a great day today.

B: 1 poached egg on hi-protein bread

MS: hummus & baby spinach on low-carb tortilla, apple

L: Greek salad, turkey & lettuce on low-carb tortilla,

AS: low-carb yogurt, orange

D: ???? -- but it'll be something w/ ground turkey -- probably turkey burger & steamed broccoli & leftover greek salad
Old 02-23-2004, 12:08 PM   #4  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Hi All.

Dan, thanks for starting the new thread. I guess we should just agree whoever is on here first on Friday start the new thread.

I am so proud of you for getting new clothes. My hubby forced me to do that this weekend. I am actually down a size in pant and 1/2 a size in shoes. Can you belive the shoe thing? I have a shoe fetish, so buying new shoes for me is like Christmas!!

I want to go on one of those makeover shows once I get down to goal. Maybe we should all go!

Lucky, my goal for this week is to continue journaling my WW food and stay in my points. Also, I want to do no impluse food buying at the store. I have a bad habit of that, and I am trying to stop it. I usually walk out with about $20 of stuff I really don't need, nor does my family. That's it for me this week.

Okay, hope you all have a great day and good luck on weigh ins this week.

Chach
Old 02-23-2004, 12:56 PM   #5  

danny congrats on the clothes thing. and chach i am glad you bought up the shoe size loss, because i thought i was loosing my mind. i knew my shoes were getting loose. i believe i am probably down about a 1/2 a size also.
lucky, my weekend went great. and yes i do have some weekly goals and they are to get in the gym more this week than last week. i am already doing better. i got in the gym on sat. and sun. my other goal is to stay op all week, because fri. i just kind of blew it, but i did get up sat. morning and started all over. i must not have blowed it to bad, though, because i am down another 3 lbs. this morning. so the journey goes on.
dan i think it's great that the whole family can get in to the gym together. i know when my hubby can go i feel alot better. i don't like going by myself, but i have to sometimes.
i hope everyone has a great day and week. keep up the good work.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:00 PM   #6  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Hi All.

Last night was pretty good. I did make chicken and yakisoba noodle, so that was a little higher on the calorie side than I would have liked, but I still stayed in my points range.

I had high hopes that this week would bring a 5 pound loss, but I am just going to be happy with any kind of a loss. I need that to keep me going. I don't know that it will be a big loss, but I will know for sure tomorrow night when I weigh in.

Chequita, great job! I am so inspired by your loss in such a short amount of time! That is wonderful. Keep up with the excellent habits and you are going to make your goal in a very short amount of time.

I found a wonderful snack! I am so into spicy and hot things, I stumbled upon hot Wasabi peas. They are so good for a snack. (Unless you are low-carbing it.) I can have 1/2 a cup for 2 points, which totally calms my chip/crunch craving. I also adjusted my bfast from an egg and cheese bagle to 1/2 cup granola with light yogurt. It actually stays with me longer and I don't want something sweet in the morning. See, slowly but surely I am changing my eating habits!

I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Anyone have any suggestions on a substitute for peanut butter? I eat the Adams all natural right now, but there is so much fat in it. Just wondering if anyone knew of anything else.

Chach
Old 02-24-2004, 12:14 PM   #7  

i use the simply jif. it is all natural. i am not really sure about all the nutrition facts, but i do remember that when i started using it, it was because it was lower in everything else than any of the others.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:19 PM   #8  

Chach:

I love the Wasabi peas!

And, I've got a GREAT substitute for peanut butter -- -- soynut butter. Be careful, because some of them have added sugar. I like the I.M. Healthy brand. It is like natural peanut butter -- the oil is on the top and you have to mix it up. It doesn't taste quite like peanut butter, but it is close and they can be used interchangably. It has tons of soy protein (real good for heart), more fiber than peanut butter (and lots of the good, heart-healthy soluble type of fiber, like that in oat bran), less fat, and fewer calories than peanut butter. I like the taste of peanut butter better, but I use the soynut butter quite a bit as a more diet-friendly substitute.

If you don't like the taste, then go w/ the natural peanut butter. Smuckers makes a good and inexpensive brand that has just a little bit of salt added. The Simply Jif, if I am not mistaken, has less added salt and less added sugar than regular peanut butter. Better than most but not as good as the natural stuff.
Old 02-24-2004, 05:11 PM   #9  

Default Today's journal entry

Its official -- its a TREND

Painterwoman reminded yesterday me that two straight days at the gym does not constitute a trend, because you need 3 data points to get there. Well, that was all the motivation that I needed to haul my sorry butt out of bed an hour early. So, it is official - - I am now a person who exercises!

I've felt great all day, too, except now I've got this awful headache. I should have taken something for it when I first felt it coming on, but NOOOO. I took some tylenol about 10 minutes ago, so

hopefully I'll feel better by tonight. We've got tickets to see a show.

I've been easing off the carb restrictions and have avoided binges. I want to see how I do by combining moderate eating with significant exercise. I've done well w/ that before, but fell down when I stopped the exercising but continued w/ the extra food - - which led to more food - - which led to more weight. So, I'll reward myself w/ more carbs if and only if I've done enough to burn it all off. And, no sugary, low fiber stuff. Just whole grains, fruits, and veggies.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:03 PM   #10  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Hi All.

Real quick this morning, but I wanted to post.

I am nervous about weighing in this evening. I hope I show a loss, but why do I expect to show a gain? Geez, I just hate being so nervous. I guess I'll know in a short while, huh?

I was real good this week, too. Gosh, I hope I lose. Even a pound will be progress.

Hope everyone is well.

Chach
Old 02-25-2004, 12:22 PM   #11  

danny congrats on the exercise. i found that since i started exercising more that i had to add some food to my plan. i was becoming weak from not enough food. i have added more food and kept up the exercise and the pounds are still coming off, so keep up the good work.
chachee i don't think you have anything to worry about. can't wait to congratulate you tomorrow morning. good luck.
Old 02-25-2004, 08:24 PM   #12  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Hi all!

Well, I am off to weigh in. Wish me luck! I hope to report a good loss here tomorrow morning.

Chach
Old 02-26-2004, 03:03 PM   #13  
Muffin Evergreen Diva

Well, last night was just a reminder that I should have lost this weight in my 20's and it wouldn't be so hard to get it off now. I was only down 0.6 pounds. I worked so hard last week and I can't understand why I didn't lose. I am discouraged, but determined now.

I'm going to make three changes this week. These are things I think will affect the loss. 1. Switch out the yogurt and cereal for oatmeal in the morning. That is 2 points difference right there. 2. No sunflower seeds this week. They are good, but have a lot of fat in them. 3. No blue cheese this week. That is loaded in fat and I have about 5 other lite dressings that I can use instead.

I think that will make a change on the scales. If not, man, I don't know what to do. The real discouraging part was my hubby lost over 5 pounds last week and was about 20 points over his limit each day. grrr.....No male bashing, Dan, just frustrated.

Had the oatmeal this morning and was actually real full so far. I bought some fruit snacks and bar snacks at the meeting last night. It's actually made me more focused. I think I'm being tested! I said that I would be happy with even a pound. Hmmm...I didn't even get that.

Frustrated, but motivated!

Chach
Old 02-26-2004, 04:30 PM   #14  

i know how you feel chach. i really do hate scales. they have so much control over our mental state of being. look at this way it was .6 down not up. you are more motivated than ever and that is one thing that really counts. keep up the good work.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:02 PM   #15  

Hey, Chach, if I averaged .6 pounds lost for the last 8 years, well, I'd be invisible!
Closed Thread