Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2004, 12:58 PM   #346  

Liked the test, WN, but apparently am a split personality geek as I had 3 A's, 3 B's, 1 C and 3 E's.

Also, the Virgo 'scope was the best I've seen or me for a while. Thanks.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:02 PM   #347  
Spreadin' the luv.

Exclamation Secret Anarchist Geek Checking In

That's my secret geek, Arabella. Awesome quiz. Do you make this stuff up? I like the horoscope, too. I'm supposed to get something new going...directions from the Universe will be forthcoming. I'm all for that. Thanks for sharing those links, darling.

I heard from wsw, too. She told me the same story as Anagram, I think, mostly marshalling her strength until she's feeling a little better and she misses us.

I'm doing OK. I'm still spending most of the night coughing and so I'm really tired during the day. I missed two days of work and am presently at about 60%, but people are sympathetic and patient here. I'm concerned that this is the 3rd respiratory problem I've had since the fall - it's not like me to get sick this much. My brother and Mom tell me that it's a combination of things: a long history of croup as a child, some asthma that manifests itself in coughing, the fact that I've gotten older and steadily more sedentary (eep!), and the good old Seattle crud - apparently the mold and weather and pollution can really get to newcomers to the city until they toughen up a bit. So, Mom and Nate's advice? Eat more vegetables and fruit, exercise more (toughen up those lungs), and get back to singing. Sounds like good advice to me. I do love having a nurse and a doctor (well, 3rd-year med student) in the family.

QOD: I like goat cheese in moderation. It makes me laugh, though, because I "discovered" chèvre cheese and loved it, then went on and on about Oooh, chèvre cheese, what a taste, blah blah blah. Then I remembered that "chèvre" is just French for "goat". What an idiot. I was thinking that I was just this exotic cheese connoisseur and it turned out that I just like goat cheese. I swear, it's true that if you laugh at yourself you never run out of material.

Speaking of absent queens, I did a little mental survey of how often I contribute to this group, and I think the average came out to 4 out of 7 days per week. Not good. Makes me NOT a "regular" and more of a "dropper-inner". I felt a little ashamed of myself. I'm going to make much more of an effort in the future to be one of the reliable posters. This came to pass because I was feeling a little glum because I don't think anyone noticed that I was gone when I was sick, but I think that's what I get for not posting more frequently. Besides, we're all rather alarmed about Punkin, wsw and Frogger. Sorry, ladies. Geez, I could delete this and probably come out more mature, but hey. Let's keep it real, right?

Kaylets, I'm so proud of you! Competition scares the **** out of me - you seemed to pull things off beautifully as usual. You've got a great attitude and always wonderful things to say, and I'm glad you're sharing your gift with others. I'll bet the crowd of fellow-speechmakers was impressed. Yes, please post the speech!

QOD a while ago (do you see yourself as beautiful?): I've alwas been a combination of pretty and striking, face-wise. Pretty features and such, and Ramon says striking because my eyes have that arresting, bird-of-prey quality. You know people that when they look you in the eye you feel a bit skewered, even if they're nice? That kind of thing. I feel that if God or the Universe or Chance hadn't given me this weight thing to grapple with, I'd be a bit vain. In fact, I still am a bit vain. Weight has diminished the bone structure and my eyes currently look more piggy than anything IMO, but I've gotten more concerned over the years that people find friendliness in my face above beauty. And I can't imagine that this is healthy, but I have a much thinner body image than how I actually look. Seeing myself in the mirror is always kind of a shock. That can't be good for you...Anyway, speaking of keeping it real, I've just spent a long paragraph on how much I like my looks. Brother. :where's the sheepish smiley?:

Dears, here's to you and I'm sorry I'm not addressing everybody individually, but I need to get working! Love to all...
Old 04-01-2004, 01:19 PM   #348  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Anagram, I intended to add a sentence at the end to say if your results were very mixed you could consider yourself a Multi-faceted Geek So glad you liked your horoscope! I find myself surprised at how apt they are sometimes.

Zadie, sounds like you had a wonderful time. And it was an occasion, so the regular rules don't apply, right?

Cerise, glad you liked it. And -- to be honest -- I think the Universe is always sending us directions, so it's a good thing to remind people of from time to time. Um, yes. I do make this stuff up, but I consult the work of real astrologists and the significance of planetary events.
Old 04-01-2004, 01:22 PM   #349  
Spreadin' the luv.

Oops - I didn't mean to imply that you "make it up". Egad. Of course you consult the stars and such - I meant "Do you COMPOSE these quizzes and astrologies?" And you do. And I'm proud of you.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:48 PM   #350  
Empress/Queen

Yo! My salmon is ready to eat or I'd go to Wood Nymph's site and check out what you guys are talking about ... will do so later or tomorrow.

Hi to all!!! My state of being is reported on the food/exercise thread and it's all good!!!

Later, gators!!!!
Old 04-02-2004, 06:29 AM   #351  

Hello all!

Thanks for the kind words regarding the speech... I had to use the same speech I used for the first contest....I'll post it again since its pages and pages and pages back there.... Its called :

"It's a Learning Experience".

What a time to be alive...
In the last 100 years we've gone from Model T's to SUV's
We've gone from the Wright Bros at Kitty Hawk to the Rover on Mars

.I've always said if I hit the jackpot, I become an archeologist as I love to imagine what it might be like to live in another time but if you want my opinion, this is the best time ...
> We are really only moments away from learning what the next wonderful scientific breakthrough will be. Western Medicine is finally learning with Eastern medicine and are working together as "Integrated Medicine'..
>
> But for all our scientifc know how and brillant technolgy, we have yet to learn the secret of fountain of youth.
> But not for lack of trying I might add....The dollars spent to keep us "young" are mindboggling.
>
> For myself, Birthdays came and went and I've never understood the "Over the Hill" controversy.... Turning 30 felt just like 18, only smarter, 35 same way, even 40.... ok, so not like 18--- maybe like 25---But STILL smarter!-
>
> But then.....the lesson began......I began noticing....I would hear a song on the radio and have no idea who was singing much less what the words were....and more and more clerks were calling me "Ma'm"...
>
> And then...... came the birthday when there were more candles than cake......
> and I began thinking .... thinking and watching myself as I've went thru my " age crisis"....
> I passed thru all the stages .... 2nd guessing the years of extra hours on the "career path" , regretting time wasted .....
>
> wondering where the time had gone.
>
> And I've learned that that getting older has lots of advantages:

> For instance,
I've learned that getting older saves you a lot ot time.... I can buy cigarettes and beer and get into "R" rated movies without being carded....
>
Its a real time saver!

> Life just keeps getting better and better.....
>
> I also learned that getting older is saving me a lot of money....
. My old clothes are back in style
...and my furniture is "retro" or "shabby chic'
>
I'm saving a lot of money!!

> Life keeps better and better!
>
> As you probably know, as we age, we lose brain cells..which is very handy..
. Now my supply of brain cells is finally down to a manageable size.
>
>
Every day I learn something, most days many things.
>
>
> And many times, its a lesson I didnt expect to learn.
> Every day is a learning experience.
>
> *
> "And then 2 weeks ago, in a Toastmasters Officer's meeting, one of our officers said something that crystalized all of my thoughts of the past 3 years. She said, " I can only be a better me"
>
> I am not sure unless I check my notes what else was discussed because I can only remember the sound of puzzle pieces clicking together when they fit. And once the puzzle was together, the view was amazing...
> What I saw was this:
>
There is nothing I can change about the past.

> There are no mistakes, only lessons.

In fact, Ellen Glasgow says it best, "The older I get, the more beautiful life becomes."

> Its all a learning experience.
>

> So as I said, I think this is the best time to be alive and I don't plan on missing a thing....
> I can't wait to find out what we've found on Mars and I already wondering what will replace Plasma TV

> The party store might say I'm over the hill but I say, its really 18 with 32 years experience.
>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------******

Thought of the day :

"Show that you value other people's time by being on time yourself."
--Life's Little Instruction Book

Question of the day :

"When's the last time you've been to a movie theater?"

Bumped into an undercurrent of real negativity at work.... Actually, bumped is not accurate, the undercurrent believes it is unstoppable. And nearly won a coup by discrediting another co worker who luckily had all her back up to prove her point. The mistake was assuming the coworker would just "
roll over " as she is generally very submissive and deferential. And at first she was, but got angry when she realized she was being presented unfairly to the boss. And in fact, dealt with the undercurrent in a very classy way which included a suprise confrontration..... which began with, " Team member dear, I've been told while I was out on Tuesday that...." and so on and on.

I was dragged in as well....I guess to muddy the waters .... and also because as a newcomer I have been more deferential to the senior members....but I also suprised the negativity with a completely honest and correct comeback.
Cordial but firm.
And as usual, when a bully finally meets with resistance, the bully often backs down.
Too bad the worst damage had been done. Boss as of yet is not aware of the
"after battle"....

Unfortunately, as is so many work related situations, I think the real stress the bully is feeling has nothing to do w/ coworkers but is a personal home situation they cannot control.

so anyway... time to be off...

Take care all!

PS- Either "overweight" or bad skin always had me thinking other than beautiful....
but I know now what beautiful feels like....

And perfect proportions still cannot beautify an ugly spirit.

KETTLE IS ON!
Old 04-02-2004, 09:23 AM   #352  
deleted2

Kaylets, thanks for sharing. Wish I could've been there to hear you. And don't you hate that crazy stuff at work? Sound like you handled it beautifully. I tell you, since "Toxic Connie" retired it's been a golden age where I work. It's amazing and disturbing how one person's bullying can affect the entire workplace. [shudder.]

Arabella, when I referred to the 'big city', I was referring to Greensboro, N. Carolina. It's a nice town, and anyplace with real restaurants and sidewalks is the big city to us, because we're so far out in the deep country. It takes us about 1 1/2 hours to get there, but we love it. Feels like a date! We saw "Hellboy" last night and we loved it! Garry and I have been reading the comic for awhile and really like the character. Who wouldn't love a big red demon who only wants to do good deeds and loves cats? I mean really.... So as to the Query of the Day, the last time I was at the theatre was last night!

Cerise, don't talk crazy---when you weren't here for a few days, we noticed. Of course you were missed! I think that I'm going to write [snail mail] to Our Punkinseed regarding her conspicuous absense. I know that she's mentioned that she only has a computer at work and am hoping that she's taking a nice long holiday from her job.

Busy weekend for me. There's a play at work tonight and I have to be there as a Homestead representative. And tomorrow morning we're part of a antique appraisal program, and Garry and I are going to be putting bright orange 'dots' on things that people are bringing in. I'm not into the antiques scene but I think it'll be wildly sucessful. A guy that appears regularly on "Antiques Roadshow" is going to do the appraisals.

Okay, onto working out. Am feeling lazy this morning, but it must be done!

Old 04-02-2004, 11:46 AM   #353  

Good morning!

We had "fake Friday night" last night (nachos for dinner, a movie and a couple of drinks makes Friday at our house). As a consequence, I feel like this is Saturday, and I'm quite disinclined to do much work.

We've gotten close to 7000 hits on the quiz already, and combined with another project over 10,000 in a single day. Since we were trying to hit 20,000 in a couple of weeks, I think we're traffic heroes for the needful site. Yay us! It was a funny situation. The site had sold content to Intel, promised them 50,000 page views, and then was getting only a trickle of visitors. So the Ed. in chief asked everyone to contribute. Since part of our purpose at Whatis.com is to drive traffic to the other sites, we took the challenge seriously. Maybe we'll get a bonus!

Amarantha, I can see why you were so enamoured of the handsome Prince Flexpoints! Have you since broken up, BTW? I used flexpoints to indulge myself yesterday, and it felt great to be able to do that and not "cheat." I don't want to eat junk all the time, but it was nice to have a treat and not feel like I'd blown it. So glad to hear your state of being is all good! YAY!

Cerise, darling, I hope you're feeling better! I'm always surprised by how crummy being sick can make you feel -- everything just seems TOO difficult, and it's hard to fully enjoy anything at all. Take good care of yourself!

Kaylets, I love that speech: it's funny, heartfelt, and true! Sorry about the nastiness at work. People can be so difficult, can't they? Re: QOD -- I am so glad you asked now, because last weekend we went to a movie. Before that it was... y'know, I REALLY can't remember, is how long ago. It's v. difficult to get DH out in the evening. He just wants to collapse on the couch and read in the evenings.

Eydie, I see! I was thinking Washington. I must say, I'm slightly jealous of you living in Virginia. Is it as lovely as I picture it? And it must be very spring-like there now, too... Thanks for taking the initiative to contact Punkinseed. I hope everything's okay with her. She's surely missed around the queendom, and never more than on her Day of Days!

Anagram, I must go revisit the Virgo horoscope to see what I said. I sort-of focus on people I know when I do them and it really seems to help. Some people take them reasonably seriously. My editor actually said she's got a situation at home and was AFRAID to read hers. And what I'd written, before she told me that, was that there was a situation at home that was troublesome, but that sensitivity would enable Pisceans to take care of it before it became a problem. I half-convince myself! Come to think of it, I'm going to go and see what I wrote for Cancer (that's me too, Kaylets!)

K -- I really must do stuff! Love to all, mentioned or not! Let's make this a good one!
Old 04-02-2004, 03:58 PM   #354  
Spreadin' the luv.

Talking Sunny Friday

65 degrees out there today, my darlings! It's sunny and warm and even I can't complain about the weather. What a day. If I sound more chipper today it's because I'm feeling ever-so-much better today. Last night I actually slept sweetly instead of waking up from a doze every half-hour to cough. Lovely, lovely. I still can't smell anything and my sinus headache won't go away, but I feel more like myself today and that makes up for everything. I'm always amazed that I've thought of myself as lazy, langorous in the past. When I'm sick and then well again I rediscover how much energy I have! My movements are quick and sure, my steps purposeful. How lovely to be well again.

Arabella, how's "Fake Saturday" going? Your night last night sounded very fun. Yes, your horoscopes are really helpful. I still feel funny reading them sometimes, since my parents and childhood churches vacillated between the belief that astrology was a bunch of hooey and its practitioners no better than charlatans and the fear that astrology was false messages from Satan (part of Satan's revolution in America under the guise of "Eastern Mysticism", including and not limited to yoga, all forms of meditation, tarot, Buddhism, Hinduism, Feng Shui, etc.) sent to enslave our minds. It's nice now to believe that guidance comes (IMO) in all forms, all forms of guidance are potentially good, and if you're looking for a little help from the Universe you'll certainly find it. Even in the horoscopes.

Sermon over. Thank you for joining me on my little trip into the macabre world of my religious past. And if you think I was exxagerating even a little bit, think again.

Kaylets, I'm always glad to read your thoughts, but your speech is something special. I'm proud of you; so chuffed that such clever and deep thoughts came right out of your head. Your office's attempted coup sounds deeply disturbing. It makes my skin crawl to think that there are really people walking around with these kinds of agendas in their heads.

Eydie, Hellboy sounds cool. Of course a demon has a special affinity with cats! Makes me like cats and demons even more. It got kind of panned by the critics, but then I don't think much of movie critics' opinions anyway. Or any other critics, come to that...thanks for the "talking crazy", uh, talk. Chalk it up to temporary insanity on my part, OK? I'm gonna send a card to Punkin, too. Hope she won't feel too bombarded if all she wants is space. Huh.

QOD: The last time we were in a theatre was a few weeks ago when we went to see "21 Grams". A very satisfying, if not exactly cheerful, watch. Tonight we're going to see Return of the King one more time on the big screen before it shuts down. Can't wait.

We're going to see The Proclaimers Sunday night! Remember them? They did that song, "I Wanna Be" that went, "and I would walk five hundred miles and I would walk five hundred more, just to be the man who'd walk a thousand miles to fall down at their door..." They're Scottish and proud of it, you know, Wildfire.

And by the way, Oh Flaming One (I mean that as a compliment), I'm now an Official, Supporting Member of Clan MacTavish. :where's the bagpiper smilie?!: The Clan Chief, Dunardry, called me himself to go over the particulars of membership. There are yearly dues, just for the purpose of raising money to buy back the family lands in Scotland or something like that. AND, supporting family members get big discounts when they buy the family tartans and stuff. AND, you can get assitance and resources in learning Erse. I'm so excited!

All right, going to get back to work - lunch break over and I'm gonna finish this work week strong!!

Warm, wet, squishy love to you all, dears.

Last edited by Cerise; 04-02-2004 at 04:50 PM.
Old 04-02-2004, 05:30 PM   #355  
Is it Friday yet?

It’s FRIDAY!!!!!!!

It’s so nice to be missed… not that that’s why I disappeared! I’ve been swamped with just…. Life stuff… work, mom’s computer dying, our new ISP STILL not working right on my computer… blah, blah, blah.

I did have a quick trip to California (gas was $2.15 ) last week too to see our Bo-Beana (she’s doing good) and see her new house. I had a good visit with my other girlfriend who lost her son in September – our first visit since then, so it was nice to reconnect on a positive, happy level.

And when it comes right down to it, I wasn’t making the time for myself to get here. Yes, even at work I need to allow myself some free time. I don’t get a “lunch hour” (I eat at my desk and work), I don’t get the normal scheduled 15 minute breaks and I haven’t called in sick in years (I’ve come to work sick and gone home though). So, I’ve been trying to get back to “be kind to Terri” mode. Being kind to me includes visiting my online friends, eating right, exercising and doing some things that I WANT to do – all of which I’ve been neglecting for a few weeks (and oooh does the scale show it!!!!!)

~First on my "be kind to me” list was getting my hiney back here – DONE!
Boy o’ boy did I miss you guys!!!! My scale shows me how much I missed you! I’m up about 5 pounds, on top of the 7 that I’d gained post-holidays. Time for this $%&*# to stop! First thing I have to do is figure something to do with my hand-to-mouth disease that rears its head at 5:10am – the freakin’ second I wake up…. I’m almost at the point of buying Slim Fast again just so I can have a measured out something sweet to grab at that ridiculous hour of the morning when I should be getting ready for work!

~Second and Third (and lastly) I’m becoming more active in my women’s group. We’re meeting once a month for full moon ritual and more often for other crafty workshops - making spa products, Goddess sculptures, etc. (I guess my non-Christian faith is no real secret - and you all still love me... ). I’ve also been entertaining the idea of taking an herb course to become a slightly educated herbalist. We’ve been making a lot of homemade products like lotions, shampoos, cremes, etc. and have (with guidance) tinkered with some herbal remedies (and am now sleeping better than ever).

So, that’s enough jammering on about ME!

Eydie, put that pen down, I’m here I’m here!!!! But thank you for thinking of me enough for snail mail! I’m so touched! No one uses stamps anymore!!!!!

Amarantha and Ceara, thank you for the PM’s – I actually just got them because when I changed ISPs I couldn’t get online long enough to change my email addy with 3FC so they never notified me. And Amarantha, no need to apologize. You can PM me any time.

Zadie, I almost teared up myself about the Make-a-Wish boy in the story you told! Some little souls just amaze me – where do they come from? I had to put my makeup back on this week watching our news about an elderly couple, married for 65 years (second marriage for both) and the wife passed away. 6 hours later the husband passed away after his daughter told him “it was ok, that if you want to be with mom you can go” – and he did. Aaaaaaah!!!!!! I bawled like nothin’ else…. First at the thought of loosing both parents in 1 day, but then about what kind of bond they must've had. What a love story, he literally wouldn't live without her.

Cerise, take care of that cold/allergy/lung thing – whatever it is!!!!! I’m deathly allergic to mold. We had it everywhere in the Bay Area. The answer is moving out of Seattle to somewhere dry – like central Oregon!!!!!!!

Arabella, your faux Friday is going to be my Friday – nachos, movie and a bottle of Jack Daniels & cola! Just 30 more minutes!!!

Well, I should away… must crochet 5 more wash cloths for my women’s group full moon spa swap this Sunday afternoon! (my first full moon rit where there'll be no moon present )

Much love, lotsa hugs and fat free/calorie free kisses!

Terri
( Punkin o' Friday has returneth, all hail the - or just throw cookies)
Old 04-02-2004, 06:46 PM   #356  
Spreadin' the luv.

Exclamation Punkin!!!!!!

Punkin!!!

Punkin!!!

Punkin!!!

Punkin!!!

Oh, how I missed you.

I'm glad you're well and getting back on the road to Loving Punkin and Taking Good Care of Her.

I think I may snail-mail you anyway.

Oh, kiss, kiss, kiss all over your head!!!! We adore you!!!!!

Last edited by Cerise; 04-02-2004 at 06:49 PM.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:33 AM   #357  

Been writing to ALL of you ( SO GLAD PUNKIN HAS RETURNED!)
for the past hour, hit the wrong button and the zaaappppp......

Sorry, need to leave ( guess where..!)

Thought of the day :
"Remember that your future is more responsive to sweat then tears."
---Life's Little Instruction Book

Question of the day :

"When is the last time you were sweaty?"

Old 04-03-2004, 07:01 AM   #358  

Welcome HOME, Punkin. You made our Friday OFFICIAL!

Sorry about the loss, Kaylets. Frustrating way to start the day but perhaps you'll make some good finds to compensate.

Glad you're feeling better, Cerise. And 65 and sunny - how I envy you. Kudos on the hits, WN. Sounds like a real success. Now you can make the Virgo horoscope even better for next month.

Have enjoyed Greensboro my few times there, Eydie. Noticed the last time it had become quite the "big city" since my first visit. Family who lived there moved back to PA a few years back so no more Greensboro. As someone who grew up in the mountains a good way from any stores, movies, etc. I recall the "thrill" of driving the hour or so to same and the big deal it was. Country still a more relaxing place to live though, I think.

Did you save the day for the little old ladies, Zadie?

No big action here lately. Had a strange pain in the back of my head most of yesterday. Better today but will still consult dr. Don't like strange pains.

Dh interupted my typing to get help bandaging his hand. Skin had pulled off an area larger than a quarter - would you believe just pulling his hand over the sheets? He is so fragile - "breakable" as the 3 yo says.

Speaking of, the princesses are coming today for an overnighter. M&D are supposed to go overnighting elsewhere to celebrate their anniversary. This has supposed to happen before too but they ended up coming here anyway. This time DD sounds like she's ready. She is a good Mom but doesn't like to leave the girls or their care to any amateurs (that's DH and I). Or at least the supervision of same. A wonder she and her bro made it to adulthood!

But it means I must be off and take all dangerous things out of sight of the adventurous 3yo.

Here's to ya, Queenies
Old 04-03-2004, 01:20 PM   #359  

Thumbs up

Happy Saturday, All!
Having a good Saturday, here. Grandson Noah arrived at 6:45 and we had a nice breakfast, watched some Blue's Clues, and then popped some popcorn and walked down to the harbour to feed the gulls. There were dozens of them flying around us and hovering in the air. They like popcorn, apparently. It was our first time feeding the gulls with Noah, a little poignant because DS used to go with his granddad to feed the gulls when he was little. Now both DGS and DS are napping and it's raining outside. Very cozy. Noah's mom and my mom are going to come to dinner tonight (reheated shepherd's pie - Yay! for leftovers!). Want to get in a set of yoga.

Punkin, Punkin, Punkin's back!! Hooray!!!

Oh, you were sorely missed of Friday and Kabota! I'm working on formulating a plan something like yours, too. Me time!

That was interesting about the devoted couple dying within a day. I know that happens sometimes. Reminds me of something a bit similar: a friend of mine was nursing a neighbour through the final stages of cancer. The woman's husband had died the year before, and as she was less "with us," in the last few weeks, she would call out for her husband from time to time, fretfully, "Harry? Harry, where are you?" Just before she died, however, Francesca (my friend), heard her say "Oh, Harry!" as if he'd just walked into the room.

Anagram, hope your head is better! I do not care for strange pains, either, and there seem to be an increasing number of them as I age We've got our princeling for an overnighter tonight, too. His mom has ABSOLUTELY no problem trading himself for a night of fun & frolic and a bit of a sleep in next morning. Ah, trust!

Oh, Kaylets, don't you just HATE it when that happens. I know I've done up great long epistles, color coded and all, and just as I click the button thinking "oh, this is a GOOD one!" I realize it's the wrong freakin' button and the whole dang thing is lost. I've done the same thing with e-mail messages. Sigh... I was a little sweaty just this morning, carrying Noah part of the way from the park (re: QOD, not just an FYI ). He's getting too big for his stroller!

Cerise, thank you for the gothic religious vignette! We have some of that brand of religion around here. I remember seeing a letter to the editor in the newspaper speaking out against yoga because it was a tool of The Dark One. Does sort of make one shake one's head, doesn't it. Isn't it amazing how all the weird stuff from our pasts just makes us that much more complex and interesting, though

Ok, Duckies! I'm off (but not by much). Enjoy your weekend!

Last edited by Arabella; 04-03-2004 at 01:22 PM.
Old 04-03-2004, 06:22 PM   #360  

Hello all!

Just bumped into this article.... a few things are making very good sense to me ( the parts about breaking up activity throughout the day.... it seemed to work for me last week's weigh in showed a 2.4 lb drop...)

Any thoughts?

14 Ways to Speed Up Your Metabolism

Ever wonder why your best friend can go through a pint of Ben & Jerry's without gaining a pound while just one spoonful goes straight to your hips? The answer lies in your metabolism, that little engine in your body that burns calories all day, every day. Because of genetics, some women burn fat faster than others. But age, weight, diet and exercise habits also play a role. "As women age, their metabolisms slow down, mainly because they are losing five or six pounds of muscle each decade starting in the mid-20s," explains fitness expert Wayne Westcott, Ph.D., fitness research director of the South Shore YMCA in Quincy, Massachusetts. Translation: You may be burning 100 fewer calories a day at 35 than at 25. But there are easy things you can do to stoke your fat-burning potential. "There's no reason you can't have the same metabolism in your 30s and 40s that you had in your 20s," stresses Pamela Peeke, M.D., author of Fight Fat After Forty. Redbook went to the experts for some simple tips on how to crank up your internal flame.

keep reading »

1. Don't overdo calorie cutting. Putting yourself on a very-low-calorie diet is a surefire way not to lose. "Your body is programmed to defend your usual weight," says Liz Applegate, Ph.D., professor of nutrition at the University of California at Davis and author of Bounce Your Body Beautiful. "So if you suddenly drop 1,000 calories from your diet, your resting metabolic rate [the number of calories your body burns to maintain basic bodily functions, such as breathing and heartbeat] will automatically slow down, because your body now assumes that you're starving."

So how many calories should you consume? Depending on your level of activity, you can safely lose anywhere from half a pound to two pounds a week if you multiply your current weight by 11, says Applegate. (For example, if you're 120 pounds, aim for around 1,320 calories a day.) Unless you're less than five feet tall, don't let your daily calories dip below 1,200. "Research shows that women who consume less than this amount see their resting metabolic rate plummet by as much as 45 percent," notes Dale Huff, R.D., a St. Louis nutritionist.

2. Eat breakfast. Believe it or not, it may be the most important meal of the day as far as metabolism (and weight loss) is concerned. Breakfast eaters lose more weight than breakfast skippers do, according to studies. "Your metabolism slows while you sleep, and it doesn't rev back up until you eat again," explains Barbara Rolls, Ph.D., professor of nutrition at Penn State University and an author of The Volumetrics Weight-Control Plan. So if you bypass breakfast, your body won't burn as many calories until lunchtime as it could. That's why it's smart to start the day with a solid 300-to-400-calorie meal; it jump-starts your metabolism.

Aim for a breakfast that has plenty of high-fiber carbs: When researchers at the University of Sydney in Australia compared the effects of high-fat and high-fiber-carbohydrate breakfasts, they discovered that people who ate the fatty meal got hungry sooner afterward. "High-fiber carbohydrates take longer for your body to digest and absorb than fats; thus they don't cause rapid changes in your blood sugar, so your hunger is kept at bay longer," says study coauthor Susanna Holt, Ph.D. Some good choices: a bran-rich breakfast cereal with low-fat milk; whole-grain toast topped with low-fat ricotta and sliced banana or berries; an egg-white veggie omelette with whole-grain toast.

3. Pile on the protein. Research shows that getting plenty of protein can boost your metabolism, causing you to burn an extra 150 to 200 calories a day, says Jeff Hampl, Ph.D., R.D., a spokesman for the American Dietetic Association. "Protein is made up mainly of amino acids, which are harder for your body to break down [than fat and carbs], so you burn more calories getting rid of them," he explains.

That doesn't mean you have to live on the high-protein Atkins diet. But you should make sure that 10 to 35 percent of your total daily calories comes from protein. So if you're on an 1,800-calorie diet, 360 to 630 of those calories should come from lean sources of protein, such as fish, chicken, low-fat cheese, yogurt and legumes. "Aim to have a serving of protein, such as nuts, a small can of tuna or a piece of low-fat string cheese, at every meal and snack," says Hampl.

4. Nibble all day. It sounds counterintuitive; why would you eat continually if you wanted to lose weight? But eating five to six mini meals rather than three larger meals every day keeps your metabolism humming 24/7. "It will also prevent you from going without food so long that you become so hungry you overeat," says Peeke. Try not to let more than four hours elapse between meals and make sure each meal includes protein, for an extra metabolic boost. If you eat a high-fiber breakfast of cereal and fruit first thing, for example, have a midmorning snack, such as yogurt and fruit; lunch (try four ounces of chicken or fish on top of a leafy green salad); another snack, like a banana and a piece of low-fat cheese, in the late afternoon; and a light dinner (think four to six ounces of turkey, salmon or another lean source of protein with steamed veggies).

5. Go for "good" carbs. Refined carbs, such as bagels, white bread and potatoes, create a surge in insulin that in turn promotes storage of fat and may drive down your metabolic rate, says Louis Aronne, M.D., an obesity specialist at New York Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center, who recommends high-fiber carbs instead. "It's important to keep carbohydrates in your overall diet, but focus on vegetables, fruits and whole grains, which have less of an impact on insulin levels," he explains.

6. Skip alcohol. Thinking about having a cocktail -- or two -- before dinner? Think again. Having a drink before a meal causes people to eat around 200 calories more, several studies show. Drinking with dinner isn't such a good idea either: Other research has found that the body burns off alcohol first, meaning that the calories in the rest of the meal are more likely to be stored as fat. If you do have a cocktail craving, stick to wine, which packs only 80 calories a glass -- or minimize the calories by drinking a white-wine spritzer (two ounces of wine mixed with two ounces of seltzer).

7. Drink milk. Load up on low-fat dairy: Women who consumed milk, yogurt and cheese three to four times a day lost 70 percent more body fat than women who didn't eat dairy in a study published in the January 2003 American Society for Nutritional Sciences Journal of Nutrition. The reason: Calcium, along with other substances in dairy, actually revs up your metabolism, telling your body to burn excess fat faster, according to study author Michael Zemel, Ph.D., director of the Nutrition Institute at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. And no, fortified o.j. won't do the trick. The best results come from dairy products instead of from other calcium-rich foods (like broccoli), calcium-fortified products (such as orange juice) or supplements. Women reap the largest fat-burning benefit when they consume three servings of dairy and 1,200 milligrams of calcium a day, Zemel's research shows.

8. Spice up your soup. Sprinkle a few hot peppers into your lunchtime soup or evening stir-fry. They temporarily boost your resting metabolic rate, according to research done at Laval University in Canada. Here's why: Capsaicin, a compound found in jalapeño and cayenne peppers, temporarily stimulates your body to release more stress hormones, such as adrenaline, speeding up your metabolism and thus increasing your ability to burn calories, says study coauthor Angelo Tremblay, director of the Institute of Nutraceuticals and Functional Foods at Laval. Bonus: The pepper-eaters had less of an appetite, Tremblay found, probably because the spiciness of the food made them feel full.

9. Pump iron. Experts say weight training is the best way to crank up your resting metabolic rate. "As you get older, your resting metabolic rate drops, but weight training can rev it right back up again: A pound of muscle burns up to nine times the calories a pound of fat does," explains fitness expert Westcott. In fact, a woman who weighs 130 pounds and is muscular burns more calories than a sedentary 120-pound woman of the same height. Regular strength training can increase your resting metabolic rate anywhere from 6.8 to 7.8 percent. (That means that if you weigh 120 pounds, you could burn around 100 more calories a day, even when you're just watching TV.)

Don't think you have time to hit the gym circuit? You can get great results with only two 15-minute lifting sessions a week. Westcott's research, published in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise in January 1999, found that doing just one set of 10 reps reaps about the same muscle-building benefits as three sets, as long as they're performed to muscle fatigue. Bonus: Weight training also gives your metabolism a short-term boost. When women lift weights, their metabolisms remain in overdrive for up to two hours after the last bench press, allowing them to burn as many as 100 extra calories, according to a study published in June 2001 in Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise.

10. Rev up your workouts. Adding interval training -- bursts of high-intensity moves -- to your workout is a great metabolism booster. "Studies have shown that people who do interval training twice a week [in addition to cardio] lose twice as much weight as those who do just a regular cardio workout," says obesity specialist Aronne. You can easily incorporate interval training into your workout by inserting a 30-second sprint into your jog every five minutes or by adding a one-minute incline walk to your treadmill workout. "Since your body is working harder, it's a more intense workout -- and you therefore burn more calories," says Westcott. On other days, shake up your routine with 40 minutes of cross-training. Ideally, aim for two 20-to-40-minute interval-training sessions and two 20-to-40-minute cross-training sessions a week.

11. Break up your exercise routine. Whenever possible, slice each of your workouts into two smaller sessions. For example, do a 15-minute weight-lifting session in the morning, then do your 30-minute walk on your lunch hour or at night. You'll burn an extra 100 to 200 calories that day, explains Kelly Tracy, M.A., fitness coordinator at Duke University Diet and Fitness Center. Don't have time? Just add in some stair climbing or short walks throughout the day. Even small bursts of activity are enough to get your metabolism revved, according to a study in the scientific journal Nature. "I call it the mini stoke: For five minutes out of every hour, get up and do something, even if it's just walking around your office," says professor of medicine Peeke. "You can end up burning a couple of hundred extra calories."

12. Sweat out your PMS. It's tempting to curl up on the couch the minute PMS mood swings and bloat strike, but you'll lose more weight if you exercise during those two weeks before your period, according to a recent study at the University of Adelaide in Australia. "Women burned about 30 percent more fat for the two weeks following ovulation to about two days before menstruating," says study coauthor Leanne Redman. Here's why: The reproductive hormones estrogen and progesterone are at their peak then -- and because they promote the body's use of fat as energy, more fat is burned off when you exercise during this time.

13. Get some shut-eye. Skimping on sleep can derail your metabolism. In a study at the University of Chicago, people who got four hours of sleep or less a night had more difficulty processing carbohydrates. "When you're exhausted, your body lacks the energy to do its normal day-to-day functions, which include burning calories, so your metabolism is automatically lowered," explains Peeke.

There are easy ways to get a good night's sleep, according to the National Sleep Foundation. Schedule your workouts earlier in the day; exercising within two to three hours of bedtime can keep sleep at bay. And try soaking in a hot bath, since studies show that warm water makes it easier to fall asleep.

14. Chill out. Long-term stress can make you fat, studies have found. "When you're chronically stressed, your body is flooded with stress hormones, which stimulate fat cells deep in the abdomen to increase in size and encourage fat storage," says Peeke. "I call this toxic weight, because fat deep within your belly is more likely to increase your risk for heart disease, diabetes and cancer." And stress hormones spark your appetite, making you likely to overeat.

So what's a frazzled woman to do? Make a list of all the things that relax you: playing with the dog, writing in your journal, even listening to classical music. Then allow yourself 10 to 15 minutes every day to kick back and enjoy one of these activities.

What Doesn't Burn Fat
You may have heard about these so-called metabolism boosters -- but do they really work? Should you try them? Here's the skinny:

1. Breaking a sweat first thing in the morning. Heard that the early-bird exerciser burns the most calories? Don't buy it, says nutritionist Dale Huff. What time of day you exercise makes no difference to your metabolism. Schedule your sweat sessions for when they're convenient for you, whether it's in the morning, in the afternoon or during your lunch hour; you'll lose weight at any time of day.

2. Vitamin B12. This vitamin is flying off health-food-store shelves, with women swearing that megadoses help boost their metabolism; but experts say no research bolsters anecdotal claims. "The B vitamins are essential, but they won't speed up your metabolism," says professor of nutrition Jeff Hampl.

3. Bikram yoga. Women all over the country are saying om to this new form of yoga, in which you perform standard poses in sweltering heat (some rooms are heated to 100 degrees!). But while this may temporarily up your metabolism, doctors say you should not sweat it out this way. "Being in hot rooms when you're already generating heat is dangerous," says Pamela Peeke, M.D. "You're at risk for dehydration, electrolyte imbalance and excessive strain on your heart."

4. Not eating after 6pm. Research has shown no link between evening eating and weight gain. You may be more likely to overeat when you nosh nocturnally as opposed to during the day, says Hampl, but your metabolism does not slow down significantly after 7pm. (though it does once you fall asleep).

Interesting.....
Closed Thread