Closed Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 07:55 AM   #286  

Gas here is about 1.65 at its cheapest. Saw some CA prices in the paper today and gasped. 2.37 and 2.29 (different locations). And that's for the lowest.

No garden for us anymore. Too stiff. Getting/keeping beds in decent shape is about all I can manage. I'd like some pro help but dh keeps insisting he'll do it (and doesn't and I don't want him to). Frogger, if you're with lurking with us, maybe that's a way dh can pick up a bit extra - helping seniors with yard and household stuff. when we absolutely need a handyman we pay one about $40 an hour. Of course, I think that's ridiculously high but haven't found any for much less than that around here. Well, I did a few years ago but he had to give it up and go work a regular job I guess partly because he wasn't charging enough.

I hope, too, Eydie, that you're not getting the crud. I think it's time to banish crud and its kin from the kingdom and get all our royals feeling fit and fascinating.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:23 AM   #287  
Empress/Queen

Talking Well, ok ...

Attendance at the Imperial Breakfast Club seems to be picking up today but we still need some s to check in and have some Magikal Brew that bringeth all s into compliance with the BUF (Benign Universatics Force)!!! USE THE FORCE, LUKE!!!! The towel boys are stocking up on MVC (Magik Virtual Chocolate)!!!!!

Frogger? How goeth it? Everyone?

Cerise!!!! Rest easy and om shanti!!!

Anagramatic: I've paid as much as $100 an hour just to get my yard weedeated (which, as I've mentioned, is the local substitute for lawn mowing). Since I've purchased the battery powered weedeater, though, I've been doing it myself, albeit badly.

QOD: I dinna really know what gas is here ... it's inexpensive compared to most places. It was really high when we had a pipeline break awhile ago and had to queue up for hours to tank up, but now it's all good.

Eydie: I'm just going to the other thread to read thy menu, which I love to do!!! Thou be inspiring me daily and I'm gonna join thee in maintenance soon because of those daily postings we are doing!!! THANKS!

Later, gators! (Old person, old saying)!!!

Last edited by Amarantha2; 03-24-2004 at 09:24 AM. Reason: close color code
Old 03-24-2004, 10:33 AM   #288  
caffeine free!

Quicky post. Here I am with my coffee in hand.

QOD: yesterday...I do not follow march madness mens, but around these parts the women are doing really well, so I have been checking in occasionally to see how it is going. go gophers.

QOD: today...I just got gas. it is 1.73 a gallon. Usually I would take the bus, but the transit workers are on strike. This is day 21. I am very pro union, so I totally get where they are coming from. But this coupled with rising gas prices is making things very difficult.

Down one fluffy old pound.

At any rate, back to work.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:44 PM   #289  

Congrats on losing the fluffy one, Czarina Z!

Well, The Special Place redeemed itself today. Service was speedy, pleasant, their usual. I've suffered the rest of the day to keep calories down after enjoying a marvelous cup of ham and split pea soup and a really good egg salad on the freshest home made bread. The only oops was picking at the chips. They had changed the decor from St. Pat's to Spring since I was there two weeks ago and it's just such a neat place. Reminds me of Eydie were she inclined to have her own little restaurant. Food is mostly basic but all so fresh and delightful w/varying specials (egg salad isn't usually on their menu). About nine booths on one side, 10-12 tables on the other. Lace curtains topped by (today) pastel toppers (this changes w/the season). Floral sprays here and there. Today a tree w/easter egg lights and ribbon (it had little leprechauns, etc. last time). Bunnies, chicks on Easter grass here and there. Just a charming little place w/a tea room flavor but good and hearty food at a reasonable price. Like I think mine came to $4.20 or so.

Someday I plan to go there just for desssert. They have so many and they're all homemade and delicious. I think I've only had desert there a few times. Maybe that's a goal if I ever make goal. Go to TSP and have a meal of desserts. (NO, NO, I really don't think that way anymore, do I?)

So, my work in the mountains is pretty much complete and I'm not likely to get back for quite a while unless I just can't stand it and buzz up just for kicks.

It was quite beautiful today and I hope it'll be good tomorrow though rain is called for. Hope to do some yard work as my exercise has been so non-existent.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:46 PM   #290  

I notice I spelled dessert w/one s, two ss's, and three sss's. What can you expect when I'm thinking of all those calories?
Old 03-25-2004, 06:52 AM   #291  

Hello all!

Looks like maybe, just maybe, some of this
'recommitment' might be starting to show on the scale....although we know, nothing is official till Monday....lol....
I am the exception to the WW's advice about
weighing more than once a week... I just use the scale for motivation.... besides, I've also learned exactly why WW's says don't get on the scale every day... because we are contstantly changing and the number is going to change too!

But it sure is good to see that the scale does still have numbers below what I've been seeing for so long!

Anagram- nice to hear your favorite place remains your favorite place to go.

We had major drama again w/ DS yesterday. DH was literally bright red in the face. Won't bore you w/ details because its so much the same ....except the
"Daddy Bank" is very low on funds... But it all continues... DH has arranged an interview at his job for DS today... the pay will be better, etc but ........ I am afraid DH will regret this decision too shortly.

But what can you do... DH overate on foods he hasnt eaten in years.... I refused to let someone's else's poor choices make me overeat.... although I was distracted enough that most of what I had planned to do last night got forgotten.....

Thanks for listening... I know there is nothing to be done but what DH can do but it does help to put it into words.

Today's thought of the day :

Remember the three ways to get something done:
Do it yourself.
Hire someone to do it.
Forbid your kids to do it.

--Life's Little Instruction Book

Question of the day :

"Do you ever wear shorts outside the house?"

KETTLE IS ON!
Old 03-25-2004, 08:57 AM   #292  

Morning!

Dear Kaylets, I empathize. True you can't do much about situation but I'm glad you didn't overeat. However, I know your concern since his health is more directly affected. And the blood pressure rise is no picnic either. Hugs and hold onto your bp too.

So stiff this morning. These weather changes have been brutal but I'll be better in a bit - until this evening. Sort of a "free" day today and so far I'm wasting it but it's not 9:00 a.m. yet. Not "free" in the sense of nothing to do but free to choose which chores to do next. No appts. or specific demands. A deep breathing day!

Shorts out of the house - almost never and all of my shorts are on the longish side. This is my favor to humanity. I never felt I was short shorts material even when I was 127 and 23. In addition, I must wear compression hose which are unattractive in themselves. And my legs never tan, etc, etc.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:39 AM   #293  
Empress/Queen

Hang in there, K!!!! Methinks it'll all sort itself out with DS ... youth hath a way of changing to maturity ... maybe not in my case, but usually! Good for you for not overeating!

Anagramatic, art thou SURE thou wanteth to swear off shorts? I bet you look great in them, compression hose or no!!! Have a good "free" day!

Z ...

Punkin, it's almost Friday ... I pm'd thee! Please respond if thou wanna or not if thou wanna!!!! Hope all's well and whatever thou decidest about posting be aces with all of us ... if I may speak for the group!!!!! Yowza!
Old 03-25-2004, 11:29 AM   #294  
Spreadin' the luv.

Wink

Hello, dah-links.

It's rainy and dark and gusty out today. This is when I'm most glad that the office decor is mostly yellow and bright. It helps me out more than you'd imagine.

Anagram, I'm glad The Special Place is up to snuff again. It's always hard when a...well...special place goes sour and you have to go looking for another great restaurant. We miss some quaint places in Eugene, but have found some great haunts here in Seattle, too. I hope you have a really good day today. I'd love a free day...

Ah, Kaylets, poor thing. I'm so sorry things went South with your DS. Good for you for preserving your own caloric sanity, my dear. I second Amarantha's opinion. For some people, all it takes is time enough for them to get their head out of their, um, you know. Not that your DS has THAT condition. I did, though, and a lot of that has just gone away with surviving my 20s.

So, Zadie, don't you live somewhere around St. Paul? Wasn't there a big demonstration there a few days ago? Can't remember the reason...gay marriage, pledge of allegiance, anti-war? I think it was gay marriage. Was it? A Methodist minister won a pretty big coup this week in Seattle - the church was trying to defrock her because she's a lesbian, and I think the outcome was that she had broken no law of the church. A splendid victory...

Yes, Punkin, we wait upon your authority to declare this day Friday eve. Do come back and make it so.

And darling WSW, have you survived the move?

Have a lovely day, dears. I'm putting my nose to the grindstone today.

Last edited by Cerise; 03-25-2004 at 11:53 AM.
Old 03-25-2004, 12:43 PM   #295  
caffeine free!

Hi. Not much going on today. It is very warm and rainy out, which means I would much rather be asleep.

Cerise: Saint Paul has lots of demonstrations. I think it is because we are a very populist state politically. There was an anti war rally on Saturday that I went to with about 3000 people. There was a rally to support the anti-gay marriage amendment that was rather large with about 3000 people, but there is one against the anti-gay marriage amendment that is today at noon which should be even bigger (although the rain may limit the turn out a bit). Guessing it will be about 7000 people. I am going to try and get down there if I can escape from work. The amendment passed the house yesterday, but I am hoping the senate will kick it out. It is trying to make both gay marriage and civil unions unconstitutional under the state constitution. The good news is that even if it goes to the ballot, because it needs a super majority to pass it will probably not pass.

Anagram - happy free day I am glad the special place remained special.

Kaylets: I am also a frequent weigher. Actually I weigh myself once a day. It changes day to day, but I figure it makes the fluctuations easier to accept. I am glad the recommit is going well for you. I hope the DS situation resolves. How old is he again?

QOD: I have shorts and I do wear them out of the house when it is hot out. Whatever makes me most comfortable. They are not too short or too long. I cannot wear them to work because it is always too darn cold in here.

Amarantha: I concur, I miss Punkin also.
Old 03-25-2004, 01:35 PM   #296  

Been cloudy and sleepy so far. I'd even take a nap but I can never fall asleep when I want to.

The 22 yr old son of DDILs cousin was killed in Aghganistan last week and DDIL and DS will be going to NY for the viewing, etc. this weekend. What a tragedy! He was to have come home in May.

And the local news is full today of reports of a unit based in my home town coming home today after a year in Iraq. That little town almost never makes the news but they sure are today.

Tried Empress' suggestion but only had a little cottage cheese and used buttermilk. That was a mistake as it's sort of too salty. But whole concoction has promise - more pb next time.
Old 03-25-2004, 03:16 PM   #297  
caffeine free!

Hello Again,
Just stopping by to say how sorry I am to hear about your DDILs cousin's son Anagram. It is so tragic. I have two cousins in Iraq and one in Afghanistan. Makes it very hard to watch the news sometimes.

I am now the only one in the office for the rest of the day. I have my music turned up very loud.
Old 03-26-2004, 07:04 AM   #298  

Hello all!

Angram- My best to you and your family. I have family in the military... career people and their son is currently active right now too. ( Guantanamo Bay)... I am immensely proud of all our military.

For all the controversy about the war, a very poignant moment this week was watching the 14 yr old mentally challenged boy cutting away the bombs tied to his body. Talked into becoming a human bomb for $23 dollars.
Makes you think.

I too miss our friends who havent had a chance to stop by....
Hope we see them soon.

Thought of the day:

"Remember that Friday is the day you refrain from all negative comments"
---Life's Little Instruction Book

Question of the day :

"Is it better to have Friday or Monday off?"

Old 03-26-2004, 07:05 AM   #299  

Default Friday Grin!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!FRIDAY GRIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I read that sign right?

TOILET OUT OF ORDER. PLEASE USE FLOOR BELOW

In a Laundromat:

AUTOMATIC WASHING MACHINES: PLEASE REMOVE ALL YOUR CLOTHES WHEN THE LIGHT GOES OUT

In a London department store:

BARGAIN BASEMENT UPSTAIRS

In an office:

WOULD THE PERSON WHO TOOK THE STEP LADDER YESTERDAY PLEASE BRING IT BACK OR FURTHER STEPS WILL BE TAKEN

In an office:

AFTER TEA BREAK STAFF SHOULD EMPTY THE TEAPOT AND STAND UPSIDE DOWN ON THE DRAINING BOARD

Outside a secondhand shop:

WE EXCHANGE ANYTHING - BICYCLES, WASHING MACHINES, ETC. WHY NOT BRING YOUR WIFE ALONG AND GET A WONDERFUL BARGAIN?

Notice in health food shop window:

CLOSED DUE TO ILLNESS

Spotted in a safari park:

ELEPHANTS PLEASE STAY IN YOUR CAR

Seen during a conference:

FOR ANYONE WHO HAS CHILDREN AND DOESN'T KNOW IT, THERE IS A DAY CARE ON THE 1ST FLOOR

Notice in a farmer's field:

THE FARMER ALLOWS WALKERS TO CROSS THE FIELD FOR FREE, BUT THE BULL CHARGES.

Message on a leaflet:

IF YOU CANNOT READ, THIS LEAFLET WILL TELL YOU HOW TO GET LESSONS

On a repair shop door:

WE CAN REPAIR ANYTHING. (PLEASE KNOCK HARD ON THE DOOR - THE BELL DOESN'T WORK)

Now that you've smiled at least once, it's your turn to spread the stupidity and send this to someone you want to bring a smile to (maybe even a chuckle).

We all need a good laugh. Keep always smiling.

--------------
Old 03-26-2004, 09:53 AM   #300  

Well, now that I have a big smile on my face................

I like Ceara's advice on the other thread to post one (or two) good things each day till Monday. Obviously today's good weather will be a part of mine.

Also like Empress suggestion for a holiday (Easter) thread.

Huzzah!
Closed Thread