Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 12:25 PM   #241  
Spreadin' the luv.

Unhappy A little sadness today.

Hello, my darlings. Oh, dear, I'm a little down today. One of my esteemed colleagues lost her mother last night. I don't know how she's been walking around work so...normally these last few days, but then her mother's been terminally ill for some time now. She's at home now, at least. Makes me think about my mother, of course, and how frightening it is to come to terms with my parents' mortality. I hate growing up sometimes.

Amarantha, I'm sorry you're feeling so not-well lately, and yet you're still doing your thing, which I admire you for. Working, working OUT, writing to us. Just make sure that you get enough time doing nothing but healing, OK? We need you...

My mission is clear tomorrow. As an almost full-blooded Scot, I'm wearing neither green nor orange and I reserve the right to clobber anyone who tries to pinch me.

Ceara, the novel is "Kushiel's Dart" by Jacqueline Carey. A good swashbuckling fantasy-type novel, though the geography is Europe disguised in fancy names. A strange thing. The people featured in the novel, D'Angelines, are obviously French, and there are Tiberians (Italians), Cruithne or Picti (obviously Celts), etc., but the time in history has nothing much to do with real Earth history. Very strange. Anyway, it's got enough intrigue to keep my mind from feeling like I'm wasting my time, and it's a wonderful story, though I'm cautious in recommending it, since the heroine is a courtesan with a rare gift, she finds pleasure in pain and pain in pleasure. You can imagine how that opens up the storyline to some pretty edgy sex...but it's NOT an S & M novel!!! **yeah, right, Cerise. You're into that , huh?**

Frogger, I was positively boiling when I read about your encounter with the crazy man at Pizza Hut. You know, don't you, that the man couldn't possibly be sane. Your manager sounds wonderful, and I thank God that your path crossed with his. You could use some kindness in your life. So, HAVE you felt the tadpole yet? Are you still sick much?

Kaylets, you were a temp? Huh. I use temp agencies when we move - get work a lot faster that way. I got this primo job from OfficeTeam. It's nice to be a permanent part of the team, now, though. Come back soon, OK? Sorry about your poor server. It's extra-sucky for you since you seem to do a lot of work at eBay.

Oof, Eydie. I'm sorry about your back. I hope it's better today - just a blip on the radar, so to speak. A little reminder or something. I do a lot of lifting as an office services person and take pride in my physical strength (inherited from my doughty family), but still get "little reminders" from time to time. I try to remember to use good form when lifting. That's because I was filing (filing , but then it was in a radiology department - those files are HUGE) once, lifted a stack and felt some pinging and popping, and spent the rest of the week flat on my back. Lovely, isn't it?

All right. Time to shuffle papers. Hugs all 'round!
Old 03-16-2004, 12:43 PM   #242  
Momma Frog

Lunch time all!!

Cerise, you'l be surprised, I just felt the baby move for the first time about 15 mnutes ago! It's so funny you mentioned that. I thought I was going to fall out of my skin!!! Felt like he did a summer sault. Guess he likes bologna and cheese.
I'm sorry about your co-worker. I cannot imagine what I will do when my mother passes on. It will be expecially hard since she lives with us and we're used to her being here.

I've got a bit of Irish and a bit of Scottish in me, so I opt for the wearing of the green. Now, I just have to find something that fits AND is green. Big task since nothing in the closet fits anymore.
Old 03-16-2004, 03:23 PM   #243  
caffeine free!

AARRGG. Another too quick stop by just to post and assert that I am still alive and paying attention. Back in court tomorow. Again. It is a really dumb case that should just go away but the other side has a very expensive attorney who is basically dragging things out (and billing at least $300 an hour by my estimate). Which means we have to keep going so that our clients do not end up homeless. Plus we are free, so time is not as much of an issue. And we have a really good case on our side. It is just frustrating to see two sides who are not so very far apart not just compromising.

At any rate, here is hoping that tomorow is the last time we have to show up in court about this mess. Adn I WILL be back with a real post.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:41 AM   #244  

Hello all!

Server had "technical difficulties" yesterday... glad everyone is doing so well with the challenge...you motivated me too when I peaked in to see what was going on from work...and then the end of day traffic/weather/dinner, etc... made me forget all about it!
Which means I need to try harder to fit it into the day... I am just going to try for 5 minute chunks today and see how they add up...

Thought of the day :
"Remember that just wishing changes nothing."
---Life's Little Instruction Book

Question of the day :

"What makes you feel as though Spring is really here?"

Take care all!
KETTLE IS ON!
Old 03-17-2004, 07:01 AM   #245  
Hot Stuff

Top o' the mornin to ya!

First day after my LAST day of work! Of course, we had a snowstorm last night and I have dig out and drive DH to work. I need the car to go get the certified cheque so we can pick up the second car tonight....and of course, I'm sick!

I'll be back later!
Old 03-17-2004, 11:26 AM   #246  

And the Rest of the Day to You, Wildfire! (And all other Queens!)

When dh gets home from dentist, we're going off to a pub type place for lunch so I can celebrate w/Shepherd's Pie. Oops, sorry old habits are hard to break.

Weather much nicer today but still cold, etc. Pretty if I look out back to nice white snow. None really on roads anymore but a bit icy here and there.

Frogger, a four hour commute is something I'm sure you won't miss. Glad the tad is making you aware of presence.

Amarantha, hope this thing is going to leave you soon. It's been a long haul.

Not having server problems but occasional phone problems last night and this a.m. But computer seems to be doing ok on same line. Must be somewhere between here and there in phone connections.

Getting hungry - get home. boyo. Will pass on the Guiness but do want the Pie or some of it. Yum!
Old 03-17-2004, 03:45 PM   #247  
Spreadin' the luv.

Thumbs up Still in coma...more coffee required.

Ugh, I'm so dim this week. Just colorless and cranky and I can't seem to THINK. What's wrong with me? I'm hoping that actually cooking our meal tonight, and doing some housework instead of plopping down in front of a movie with Ramon and sundry junk food will improve my outlook. I'll tell you tomorrow if it worked.

Flylady. Huh. I haven't even shined my sink yet, so I'm still on Day 1. For a week. WHAT'S MY PROBLEM????

**OK, extended whining session over.**

Ooh, Anagram, your little St. Pat's day lunch sounds wonderful. What's wrong with shepherd's pie? I'm still in shock that you're still experiencing snow. The cherry trees are in a riot over here. ~smooth segue to...~

QOD: Spring is really here for me when the days are noticeably longer and the new green and flowery things are out.

Wildfire, what a wonderful First Day of Freedom From Crappy Job you're having. What're you sick with, poor baby? Snow for you, too? Good Lord, people! Let's march on heaven in protest.

Kaylets, I'm glad your server has sorted itself out. It has, hasn't it?

Zadie, take care of yourself. You're doing such good work, my dear. You still haven't told us what you wear to court...

Frogger, maybe Junior just sort of felt my inquiry about his/her movements over cyberspace. He wanted to say "Hi, Ma!" at Auntie Cerise's prompting, I'm sure. Isn't tomorrow your last day at demon job, doo da, doo da? Hmmm?

OK, I'm going to schlump off and grimly work until it's time to go bloody home. I'm not myself...

Oooh! Oooh! I figured it out! It's St. Patrick's Day, when the Irish are so very popular, and my Scottish blood has turned to sullen sludge. Wait, I've been off all week...never mind.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:38 PM   #248  
caffeine free!

Hello,
We are not set for a trial date. Yikes. We do not really do trials. So a little freaky.

Cerise: I had to stop flylady becuase I got stuck at day one with all the crazyness of work and was getting too many emails. But I will sign up again when I am a little more centered. So do not feel bad. The sink will still be there. BTW: I wear a suit. Navy. Skirt. Pantyhose. The whole nine yards. Then I get back to my office and change out of it instantly.

QOD: spring is here when it is no longer so darn cold. the first coat free day is spring.

Wildfire: congrats on ending the job. I hope your mental trumpets were blaring a fanfare as you walked out the door

I hope everyone is having a lovely St. Pats. I am going to go home and sleep and sit like a lump. I ahve plans, but I think they are going to go out the window.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:30 PM   #249  

It's turned out to be a bit of a slump-a-dump day for me too. and I had such great expectations. I usually let all else go and just enjoy March 17th. But.....

had more phone problems. Then heard from lawyer re Mom's estate. I'm meeting w/him Friday but he needed some bits and pieces of info yet so I had to get into that and once into it I figured I'd get stuff ready for Friday. So I did.......

Did have my Shepherd's Pie - pretty good but not for calorie counting. Nothing wrong with it Cerise. I was referring more to my old habits of celebrating w/food. Must find another way. Weatherman said it was 65 here a year ago today and only got to 37 today. Slump-a-grump.

The pretty little spring flowers do it for me. Can't wait for hyacinths.

only hours now until the vernal equinox.
Old 03-17-2004, 07:20 PM   #250  
deleted2

Frogger, that's so sweet that you're feeling the baby now. I've been seeing ads for these contraptions where you can hear the baby inside. I think that'd be very cool!

Sorry you're feeling not quite yourself, Cerise. 'Twill pass.

Anagram, your lunch out sounded lovely!

I stayed home today getting things ready for our trip. Can't wait! I'll probably be up at 4 AM ready to go!

I'll be back Saturday night---I'll miss you all! Love!

Old 03-17-2004, 10:32 PM   #251  
Empress/Queen

Yo! Going back to bed in a sec ... already missing Eydie and she's not gone yet!!!!

Had a good trip to the new dentist and feel I'm getting to the bottom of things now ... very tired and have to meet trainer at 6 a.m. as she needs to change her schedule again, so ...

Zadie, I love reading about thy legal job duties ... my favorite thing to do in life is cover trials, although I seldom get a chance to do so anymore ... you're doing great in your career!

Cerise, you are so funny about Flylady ... sorry, I just have to chuckle when I read thy posties sometimes! Sorry thy Scots blood hath turned to sludge ... St. Pat's lasts but a day ...

I REALLY MISS PUNKIN O' FRIDAY AND THINK SHE SHOULD GET BACK HERE TO THE PALACE FORTHWITH!!!! Punkin, hope thou be ok, but wouldst like an update!!!!

ALSO (oops, shouting, how rude), hoping all be well with WSW and that thou hast settled into thy new place and be deliriously happy and feeling ok!!! Report when possible, W, thou be missed!!!

Dollar, be thou out there? Seattlejo? Anybody else whose fallen off the face o' the palace (that could hurt), please report!!!! Thankee kindly!

Ok, now I'm going to lie down again!
Old 03-18-2004, 07:05 AM   #252  

Hello all!

Frogger! DOO DAH! DOO DAH! hope your last day goes quickly for you....
Hope this doesnt mean we won't be hearing from you for awhile... Keep smiling..
Am sending you lots and lots of positivity!

I agree with the Empress... I miss Eydie and everyone else who hasnt had a chance to stop by...

Today's thought is:

"Recognize that nothing is "finished";
everything is "becoming"."
--Life's Little Instruction Book

Question of the day:

"Which TV show would you love to see come back with new episodes?"

Late again and its snowing again!
Old 03-18-2004, 07:53 AM   #253  
Momma Frog

My last day at demon job
do da, do da...

I can't wait for 5 o'clock
oh the do da day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Eydie!!!! Have a wonderful time!!!

Wildfire: Seems we are in the same sort of canoe now aren't we? Did I miss? Do you have another job lined up or are you vacationing from the work desks for a while?

Cerise- Are you feeling any better? Have the clouds passed hon?

Good and wonderful day to all!! I'll be back on later!
Old 03-18-2004, 08:12 AM   #254  
Hot Stuff

Ugh. I don't know what I did to deserve yet another round of the crud, but here it is. At least this time it hasn't invaded my sinuses. It's all in my throat, and I have practically no voice since yesterday. It was something trying to order a coffee at a drive-thru.

Anyway, aside from that, we picked up the second car yesterday evening. Very pleased with it. The dealer had already done a lot of preventative maintenance work when they accepted it as a trade-in, and we found out last night they had given it a once-over again and decided to put a new muffler on it. They gave us floor mats, replaced the little handle over the rear driver's door where you hang your dry cleaning because it had a crack in it and they said eventually it would break, and filled the gas tank. That's a rarity these days. DH wants to drive it to work today, but *someone* (him) forgot to call the insurance company to activate the insurance. He'll do that this morning since I have no voice to call.

Eydie, have a fabulous trip!

On the Flylady thing, zadie and Cerise, I signed up for it long ago and was completely annoyed that she seems to think that drowning people in e-mail is helpful. I unsubscribed pretty darn quickly. Okay, so maybe if you are a stay-at-home person who would tend to sit on their duff all day in front of a computer, those e-mail reminders would be a good thing to get you to go do something productive. What about those of us who WORK? Huh? I think most of us already have some sort of plan whether it is the night before or in the morning, or we would never get to work. I'm not saying that being organized is a bad thing, but come on...most of us are not complete idiots. Having said that, I do thing that the regular discarding of junk/garbage and the 15-minute thing are good ideas. That "shine your sink" thing, though...one actually has to have an empty sink to do it, and sometimes dishes here get done the next morning because I WORK and have more important things to do after dinner than shining a sink. I think she's even worse than Martha Stewart because she comes across like a scolding mother..."Where are your shoes?", "Have you shined your sink?" Sorry, I know some of you like her. This is just my opinion.

anagram, hope today is not as slumpy for you! Mmmmm, Shepherd's Pie. We have it occasionally here. There are some great low-cal versions, one in particular from WW that is called Texas Shepherd's Pie and it has salsa in with the meat. Tastes much better than it sounds.

zadie, no trumpets on my last day, but such a great feeling of relief!

Knowing that I was free was quite liberating. My current boss and a couple of others took me out for lunch. I found out my previous boss that I had worked with for 6.5 years had been invited but he declined, saying he might get a phone call from the CFO in Edmonton. Uh, yeah, okay...whatever. What I couldn't believe was that they were still giving me work to do at 4pm! Uh, hello? Do it yourselves because I'm outta here? I was quite surprised when I made the rounds, both in the plant and the office, that people were genuinely sad to see me go. I'm part of the "don't assume that people like me" club, too. Had several heart-felt hugs from co-workers, many "take me with you!" pleas, and even a few teary-eyed guys. Our HR Manager gave me a gift, a lovely candle with pressed flowers in it that smells heavenly (ginger-melon) and a beautiful beaded candle plate to sit it on. That really surprised me. She said it was for always helping her at a moment's notice and she was going to miss having me around. So all in all, it was a good last day. No bridges burned, which I think is important if it can be helped at all.

Cerise, my love, you are never colorless! You brighten the palace even on your glum days! As a full-blooded Scot, I have to admit I'm a little jealous that the Irish have St. Pat's Day. Somehow Robbie Burns Day just isn't as much fun. One thing that helps me is having an Irishman that I completely adore....and no, it isn't DH!

Frogger, how cool that the tadpole is kicking! Glad you're outta that nasty job, and that commute....good lord girl! Will keep fingers crossed that you find something else close to home. Give your manager at the pizza place a hug from all of us, will you? He sounds like a dear. Edit: You posted while I was typing this novel...yes, I left this job to accept a new one. It is more money, only 6 miles from home, better hours, amazing benefits (pension plan!), and will actually challenge me which has been sorely lacking in my other job.

Amarantha, you're in the 140's? What!? And without fanfare??? No, no, no...we must celebrate!

By order of Royal Proclamation I hearby do declare today to be Empress Amarantha Day in celebration of reaching the 140s! Grab a towel boy and er...celebrate!

Speaking of celebrating, it is Friday Eve... Punkin, get thy Royal Butt in here!

Kaylets, have you worked out your server problems? What a drag, especially when you have auctions on the go!

wsw, are you really sleeping for a week after the move? Hope all is well and you are getting settled.

And didn't I see Arabella and ceara post? Wonderful to hear from you both...and more often would be wonderful-er!

QOD yesterday: Spring has truly arrived when the magnolia trees are in bloom. So beautiful!

Last edited by Wildfire; 03-18-2004 at 08:15 AM.
Old 03-18-2004, 09:56 AM   #255  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Fly-by it is, then! Bad habit, I've got, of reading, thinking I've got lots to say so must wait 'til I've got time. Soooo... I'm popping in with a quick one. Feeling tired and slightly "blah" and sinusy (not really pain, just a little stuffiness and etc.). I'm determined not to let the work pile up this month. DH and I are going away for the weekend Fri-Sun next week, and I want to have most of my month's work done before we go.

Anyway, I'm muddling along, not having perfect days in terms of doing EVERYTHING on my list, but doing well in terms of exercising just about every day and not eating too much.

I'll try to get back in later, but in any case, let's make this a good one! Love to all...
Closed Thread