Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 06:35 AM   #76  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Talking "Happy St. Patty's Day!"

Bless each door that opens wide to strangers as to kin.
And bless each crystal window pane that lets the starlight in.

Bless the rooftop overhead and every sturdy wall.
And may love and peace on St. Patrick's Day be sure to find you all.

"Happy St. Patrick's Day...
All The Best To You And Your Families"

*~*~*

I will be back later to post - whew I have allot of reading to do, don't I

*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old 03-17-2004, 09:01 AM   #77  

Hi everybody. Just wanted to check in. I had a treatment Monday....& still have my hands full. My son is living with us now. His wife filed for divorce. Going to get ugly, I'm afraid. Our son is fighting for the kids. He IS getting help for the drugs, though. Seems to be using his head about things. I hope all turns out well. It's taking a toll on my health...so may not feel like posting often. Been sleeping every chance I get. The Dr told me Monday that all of this stress is going to cause lots of flare ups if I'm not careful.

We got a small settlement from Maytag. Attorney says we need to go after the store where purchased for the main amount, because the repairman didn't fix it properly. I don't like all of this, but, very tired of living this way.

Going to try to work today...I AM reading the posts. Take care.
Old 03-17-2004, 09:38 AM   #78  

Unhappy

Hi...

I am feeling soooooo "let down"... ... ... I went for my weight and measure today at Curves and didn't do nearly as I hoped I cried! All this work and no weight-loss... I am still at 204. It's a good thing that I worked out, cuz it made me feel a bit better. When I got into my car I just cried it all out! I KNOW I will do better in next months weigh in/measure so I am just going to continue to work for that goal. It was just so disappointing...

Here are the numbers in my inch loss:
Bust: -1" / Waist: -4" / Abdomen: -2" / Hips: -1/2"
Thighs: -2" / Calves: 0 / Arms: 0 / Weight: 0
Total inch loss: -9.5"

*Happy St Pats...*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Old 03-17-2004, 02:03 PM   #79  

Charlotte, I am so sorry you are struggling right now. I have great empathy for you and your family at this time. May you all be safe from harms way and soon see a light at the end of the tunnel for your house woos and you son's problems. And most of all hug and bless your grand daughters.

SunnyD, Well, at least you got it out and out of the way. I am disappointed for you too. Who wouldn't be after so much hard work and no weight loss, but the positive thing is you lost inches and that should make you smile from here to Toledo. A couple of years ago I belonged to Curves too and I always lost inches (a good thing) but the pounds came off slower, because muscle weighs more than body fat. Don't loose your focus, you will be all right. You have a good attitude.

Take care

Bluet
Old 03-17-2004, 11:43 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Well, shoot, Charlotte. I'm sorry about the small settlement. Are you definitely going after the other place? I hope that doesn't take too long. Can you do much on the house with the settlement that you got?

I'm so glad your son is getting help with the drugs. I imagine you made that a condition of him living with you. Having been through a kid's divorce recently, I know how stressful that is for parents--I was very stressed and I don't have the RA to contend with. Please be extra good to yourself.

SunnyD, I'm sorry the scale didn't reflect how well you've been doing. Remember--scales lie! Really! Look at how many inches you've lost. That's incredible! I know how hard it is not to rely on the scale as your guide. Cry all you want, but don't let that disappointment ruin your progress. You're right--you will see a loss in the future so keep thinking about that, and about how well your clothes are fitting!

Hi to Bluet and Puss! Bluet, do you ever have fantasies about kicking the O.B. where it counts??

I made my dad change his shirt this morning. He had a blue shirt on that he swore was green. I said it wasn't, and he was sure he had nothing in his closet that was green. I then pulled out a green shirt (kind of sage green) and handed it to him. He put it on and swore it was brown. At dinner tonight I asked if he'd gotten pinched today, and when he said no, I said, see, that shirt IS green because if it wasn't green, you would have gotten pinched!

My poor old dog! She is drinking more because of the kidney disease and she doesn't let us know when she has to go out. We weren't quick enough and she squatted in the hallway. My DH startled her in midstream and she kind of got up and shook, spraying urine all over the hall. Of course, this happened right when I was about to leave for the doctor's office. Luckily, they were backed up and I didn't have to explain why I was late.

Have any of you had a bone density scan? I had one today and was bummed to find out I have bone loss in my spine. I do everything I can to avoid that because I don't want to be one of those hunched over old women. I'm wondering if my neuro disorder is causing some problem--maybe the meds I take. Guess it's more big horse pills for me--yuck! I got a sample of the chewable calcium (Viactiv, I think). They're way too much like candy.

Hope everyone had a great St. Patrick's Day. I was listening to an Irish woman on the radio the other day, and she said they don't have corned beef in Ireland. They usually have ham (although not like American ham, she said) and cabbage.
Old 03-18-2004, 04:40 AM   #81  

Absolutely drained yesterday by DMs phone calls!! Two before I left for work, 4 at work and a very long one in the evening. Plus, 3 between my brother and myself about it all. Much weeping/whailing because her nails are tinged orange 'with the medication, I must come off all meds'. SHe has been offered assisted dwelling and far from being happy, (she is going to view today) she said she probably won't take it. Using every excuse under the sun without seeing it. My DB is furious but I warned him to stay out of it because she never knows what she wants and I don't want him to get the blame for any decision she does/does not make. I gave her more straight talking but wasting my breath.
Angel - this may be the start of something good with DS back at your place though not if it's going to take its toll on your health. I hope it all goes as smooth as possible but having him away from the drug influences etc is a start. Glad you had some kind of settlement from Maytag but sorry you have the hassle of now suing the store, it's been a tiresome (not to mention a devasting and potentially lethal) episode for you all.
Bluet - I really wish I was in your office with that piece of scum! Thing is, trash like him tend to pick on nice people like you and not pre-mentstrual wolverines like me when faced with that kind of weak, conniving trickery! Sounds a right insecure weakling to me who shouldn't be in the job. Good for you for standing your ground and raising your voice to him. So you have started the storage room clear out. Imagine each piece of stuff designated for the fire as your boss and you will race through it and get some pleasure out of it too! Yes, roses do lovely here and although we complain about not enough sunny days I know we have an ideal climate which is why we don't get bugs and snakes etc like the US and Australia. I have two special old-fashioned French roses with intoxicating smell and heads you can bury your face in.
Sheila- It would take a lot more than lavender/rosemary to make me good at maths!!! Despite my job, maths is my weakest subject and I sometimes resort to finger counting, ha. My mother had that bone density test - I think it was putting her heel into some water bath wired up with lights etc. She didn't have thinning which may be because she has always drunk lots of milk though I am not sure if that's why. I believe it tends to be hereditary - I hope so though I never drank milk the way she did. Your poor old pooch sounds like my poor Alfie was. Had a spooky moment the other evening when I went to step over his food bowl! Trick of the memory because the bowl has been gone since mid-November but upset me doing that sub-conscious movement in the kitchen. I don't envy you the next few weeks/months. Is your family Irish? I know you can't get much more Irish than Sheila. As for the ironing, it's me who loves it and will do a week's worth tonight before DD arrives tomorrow or she will do it while I am at work and I know she doesn't really like it but is a sweetie helping me out. The car we are viewing on Sunday is another Honda (left mine at the garage last night to be serviced today and DH was behind to take me home and mechanic said 'Oh, his and hers" - I hope he knows what he's doing because although they are both green and similar size, mine is a civic and DHs is an accord! I would love to have a magnolia and lilac but my garden is too small. DS tried to post a photo of my garden last year in full bloom with daffs and tulips covered in snow in a snowfall but he said it wouldn't have shown very well. I may have another go at him to try again this weekend.
SunnyD - I feel for you with your disappointment over the weight loss. But, as Bluet says, it could be muscle weighing heavier than the fat loss. Don't lose heart, you were doing splendidly and it is making you fitter by the day.
Love all your icons for St Pat's day.
Am working from home today and expecting a barrage of calls from DM after she views this accommodation so better get some work in while I can.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:07 PM   #82  

Snowing and cold here again today, I wonder if we will ever be able to turn the furnace off this year. I remember the first year we were on the farm the summer of 1965, we ran the furnace well into June. Not looking to a re-run of that. The Robins and Red-wings have returned though and the geese are flying north again. I saw 4 pair of swans on the little pond on one of the roads I travel to and from work everyday. They were just resting though, the next day they we gone.

Shiela, you have to be kidding. You can only imagine what runs through my mind when I encounter OB. Your DD, is so funny, you could start your own TV sit-com 'The Day In The Life of Shiela And Dear Dad' I think it would be a grand hit. I have a little bit of Irish in me, my maternal grandmother had red hair and freckles and her maiden name was Beard, the Irish comes from her. Of course I am reminded that not all Irish have red hair. DH is not a great fan of Irish music, so he really dreads St. Patty's Day. I don't know why he does not like Irish music, he just doesn't. I am sorry that your old dog is having problems. We have had many animals in the past 40 years, as you can well imagine, and we have had Vet bills that were astronomical, so I can feel for you at this time. It is really hard when one is losing a good pet.

Puss, you are really a little firebrand aren't you. Too bad you don't live closer, you could come to work with me and give what to the OB. Seems like your problems with DM are increasing. I don't know what you are possibly going to do with her. They are of such a fragile age, one hates to be abrupt with them, but your Mother is one of a kind. I can't think of any advice to give you, so I'll just pray a lot for you and your Mother and Brother, if that is o.k? So the kids are coming home for the weekend. Yes, please ask DS to post pictures of your garden, it would be so delightful to see your English Garden. Do you go all crazy and clean like mad and cook up a storm before the kids get there? I used to when they were in college, but then I had more steam and energy. Not now, I am just too tired for that. Yes, I remembered you were the one who irons everything. If I find I have purchased a piece of clothing that needs an iron taken to it to be wearable, I give it away to Goodwill. I am late enough for everything the way it is now, without delaying myself more with ironing something before I leave the house.

Willow, if you are out there, I wish you well and hope you are getting the answers you need to make your hip well.

Charlotte, I hope you RA is better today, perhaps the medicine has kicked in and given you some relief. I know a lot of your stress is mental and you have been given a heavy load to bear. We care about you.

SunnyD, hope you are having a brighter day, you'll be o.k. sweetie, take it as it comes.

Take care all.

Bluet

P.S. I can't get these silly icons to work since they changed the format on the board. I tried a couple of times and lost my complete post. Why should it be so difficuly for me?
Old 03-19-2004, 02:56 AM   #83  

Bluet- Thanks for prayers for my brother and me, we need them!! Got no work done yesterday, lost count of the number of phone calls from DM but the battery on the portable phone ran out at least 3 times and they last an hour! As predicted, she will not be taking the assisted dwelling, which is fine if that's what she wants, but she never knows what she wants and will be wailing that she should have taken it once she refuses. Also, she is no frail thing, she is 70 and no major health issues. Had to laugh about you giving away the only ironable garment you had, ha ha. No, I don't get a mad cleaning session on before the kids come. It's reasonably tidy/clean all the time with just the two of us but when son arrives it looks like a demob station, bags of dirty washing (I tell him to bring it), medical books and papers etc and he NEVER takes anything up to his room, it's always left where he last had it or used it, arrghh! DD is an angel itself, total opposite and looks for work to do to help. I am a little worried her coming home today as she will have to go through 2 London train stations (until she gets her replacement car) and the Madrid bombings are still very fresh in our minds. As for your Irish comment about red hair, I was told that on the East coast the Irish tended to have red hair and freckles from their Scottish ancestors who settled there and on the west coast of Ireland they tended to have dark hair and blue eyes from the many Spanish settlements that occurred. I didn't realise that the mid-West had it so cold for so long. We had storm warnings last night and it's blowing a devil this morning so that will be fun on the motorway today. I agree with you that Sheila and DD could make a sitcom, I love hearing about him and Sheila is so laid back about it all. It was a glorious sunny day here yesterday (such a change today) and although we still have the central heating blasting, I got round to ordering my spring plants from the mail order nurseries. That will take my mind off all unpleasant thoughts (DM) planting them all out or potting them in my greenhouse. As for your boss, I learned in my 20s not to take any rubbish from bosses who were well out of order after being in your position with a *****y middle-aged female boss. I have never looked back and although have had lots of jobs since, I think anyone fooled by this pleasant and cheerful exterior soon realises that I don't stay that way if bullies try it on, ha ha. I hate bullying of any kind and would certainly butt in if I saw it happening to anyone.Pet hate of mine since being teased often at school for wearing special shoes to correct turned in feet!)
Best wishes to everyone, especially Willow, I hope all is well with you.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:29 AM   #84  

Smile Tgif

Good Morning Ladies...

I am so very 'grateful' to you all --- more then you will ever know!!! I feel encouragement like you would believe and have stuck to my program of diet & exercise. In fact, I leave for Curves soon ~ I just wanted to stop in and Thank-you all so much for your very kind and encouraging words
{{{Huge Hugs}}}

I know the facts (I really do...) but when hit with reality of no weight loss I felt betrayed and it was good to be remined of the facts again. I am okay now and have not thrown in the towel. I'll just keep on truckin'... ... ...

Well, I must be getting ready to leave for Curves.
I'll be back to post to each of you when I get home, okay

"Thank-you again"
*God Bless*
D.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Last edited by SunnyD57; 03-22-2004 at 02:27 AM.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:27 PM   #85  

Smile Hi there!

Hello's to everyone!!!

I am sorry I have been MIA lately... so much to do and so little time to do it all in. We actually have sunshine & blue skies here today and tomorrow we are suppose to also with some temps in the 50's... I hope!

We have a 30th Birthday Party to go to tomorrow evening (family), so I have been making cards today (3 birthday's). I have to really put on the armor in this family before a party. They don't take "no thank-you" when it comes to food - it's an insult. So what I have to do is take the cake & ice cream (or other treats offered) and either pass it off quietly to someone else or play with it as if I am going to eat it... otherwise I hear, "don't you like the cake/goddies I made?" Italian's As sweet as can be, but great on loading on the guilt.

*~*~*

Has anyone heard from WILLOW???
I am really concerned about her! WILLOW, if you
are lurking - please - come back and let us know
that you are okay!!!!!????

BLUET,
How wonderful to see you posting again Are you feeling any better?? I know it has been a long hard winter for everyone this year... way too much cold and snow (and clouds!) for my taste! We have sunshine today and it is suppose to go up into the 50's tomorrow for our first day of SPRING(!) and be sunny --- BUT (I hate but's - don't you ) then it's suppose to get cold and ugly again by Sunday evening. I really don't mind the rainy days of Spring (produces beautiful flowers), just don't like it when it turns into snow is all! Thank you so much for your tender & kind words... it means allot to me (((Hugs))) I was so disappointed, but am doing just fine now.

5 grandchildren over the weekend? Bet they helped you forget your troubles --- or did they add to them

ANGEL,
I hope that this finds you feeling better soon. I think I recal you saying you just had another treatment on Monday. Still lifting you all & DS up in prayer.

PUSS,
Your hubby went to school wit Paul & George? So cool! I remember when I was growing up, my aunt (whom wasn't much older then I was) had her room plastered with Paul posters!!! I couldn't sleep in there... too many eyes !!

I really feel for you when it comes to your mother... she just has way too much time on her hands to think of things to call you about.

SHEILA,
How did everything go with the hair cut and massage? Bet you feel like a new woman. I always feel better after I color & cut my hair (I do my own). When I want to have it 'done for me' - I have a SIL that cuts hair and a nephew too.

Sailboats are very beautiful, but I'm more of a larger motor-boat type person ~ safer.

KATEY,
Where are you??? Haven't seen you around either... are you okay???

Hi JACQUIE,
I am so sorry... I almost forgot you But I didn't
I hope this finds you doing well!

*~*~*

Well ladies...you all have a lovely weekend, it's time for me to make dinner. The boss will be home soon. Wish me "luck" tomorrow night at the birthday party

*God Bless*
D.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Last edited by SunnyD57; 03-22-2004 at 02:28 AM.
Old 03-19-2004, 07:01 PM   #86  

Good afternoon, ladies--

SunnyD, be strong this weekend! That sounds like a tough food situation, but I know that you can survive it. I'm afraid people who are like that really bug me, even if they are relatives, or maybe especially because they are relatives. Have you ever tried the "I'm allergic" defense? Of course, if you've had cake and ice cream before with these people, then they know you're not really allergic, although, hey, people develop lactose intolerance later in life, right?

Puss, I'm bummed that your Mom is back at it again. Maybe you should put her name into one of those internet dating services, and arrange some blind dates for her. I'm sure your DD will be okay--I imagine most train stations have stepped up security.

Bluet, that's too bad your DH doesn't like Irish music. I absolutely love it. My DD was in an Irish dance group. The costumes were outrageously expensive--lots of hand embroidery. They performed all over the place, and it was a lot of fun as well as great exercise. My family's name is Riley, and my grandfather was called Paddy so you can tell that there were some Irish in my background. My mother said that my grandfather had coal black hair and really blue eyes.

Well, my DH had a doctor's visit today and it turns out he has arthritis in his knee. It's been bothering him quite a bit, and I told him to take Aleve. Would you believe I got that from a TV commercial? I'm almost ashamed to admit that, but it's been helping him. I also told him to ask the doctor if he could work on ways to wean himself off the blood pressure medication. Unfortunately, when they took his blood pressure it was 140/84 the first time and 140/100 (my DH said that was after the doctor messed with his knee!) the second time. And that's on blood pressure medication. So, I guess he won't be getting off anytime soon. I thought the doctor might say that my DH should lose weight, but I think they reserve that comment for women. Nobody has ever told my DH that he should lose weight, and he's at least 50 lbs. overweight. I hear women at my WW meeting say they've lost 30-50 lbs. and came off the blood pressure medication, which was why I told DH to ask his doctor. I didn't want to mention losing weight--I'm the last person to talk about that!!

It's sunny, but windy here. I think we're going to take our younger dog to the beach for a walk. We'll leave the older one at home--she's just not into walking much anymore. Her spirit is willing, but her body gives out. She's got a vet appointment Sunday to recheck after taking antibiotics and also to check her bloodwork again. She's been drinking a lot, and peeing a lot, which isn't a good sign. I'm gearing up for the inevitable, but it's kind of hard, as you know all too well, Puss.

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend--preferably with no snow!
Old 03-19-2004, 10:41 PM   #87  

Hello Friends,

Shiela, I laughed so hard when you suggested that Puss should sign Mother up for a dating service. I am still smiling. The same though crossed my mind Puss, well not a dating service, but if she is only 70 years young, why the heck isn't she out volunteering or working a part-time job to fill up her time and her mind? And how many times can one person call during the day, I think she would run out of things to say, I know I would. Oh well, let's move on, we are never going to solve this problem for you, I just can't see any way around it. Your Mothers your Mother no matter what, now if you had a couple of sisters to share her with that might help. I thought of you Puss, immediately when the news media warned of possible terrorist attacks on the rail stations in Britain this weekend. What the heck is the matter with people, that they have to kill other people to get attention? What is this world coming to, when is all this madness going to stop? I am tired of this Damn War thing. I was watching the news this evening while I ate supper. Peter Jennings was in Iraq. He was interviewing citizens of Iraq it looked to be some young college girls. They were quite bitter that the Americans were there and said if they had a choice between Sadam and the United States they would choose Sadam. If that is the case then, why are young Americans loosing their lives over there? I think the problem is they don't know what they want. Somehow some way the terrorism has to stop. well I had better get off my soap box now.

It is suppose to be 50 degrees here tomrrow too and then the winds are suppose to bring in some colder temps for Sunday and the first days of next week. We had a thunder storm this evening and it knocked out the satilite for a little while right in the middle of basketball that DH was watching. He has been switching back and forth between State Chanpionship playoffs for high school and the College Championships and then he sometimes has the sound turned off on the TV and the radio announcing the play by play, yes he is a real sports nut. Always has been and probably always will be.

I am going to attack that storage room again tomorrow, provided I am not interrupted. If the two grandkids from next door come over, I won't get much done again. Goodness knows it will wait for me it certainly has so far.

Willow, if you are out there, I wish you well and hope to see you on the board again.

Charlotte, hope you are feeling better today. Things will improve. We miss your happiness here, but that's ok, we know you are there.

SunnyD, you little rascal, you sure have a busy social life. Watch out for that cake and ice cream. Do people really still make that stuff? Just kidding.
Have a fun time at the birthday party.

Bluet
Old 03-20-2004, 03:49 AM   #88  

Just a quickie this morning, girls as I am the only one up (besides DH) and have 5 youngsters scattered sleeping upstairs - and one on the sitting room sofa. DH is making his usual clanging and banging noise when trying to be quiet, ha ha. DS turned up with girlfriend and two male flat mates (they are like 2nd and 3rd sons, so lovely ) and all starving, ha ha. Good job I had made a huge lasagne as I wasn't expecting the 2 boys until an hour beforehand. DD arrived safely and apart from her boyfriend who is up north, we have a lovely house full of early 20 somethings. (all future doctors tho to listen to them at this stage I wouldn't trust them to give me an aspirin ha ha). My mother rang me at work yesterday, all calm and collected and said she won't keep me long. Asked if I thought she did the right thing by rejecting the assisted dwelling and I said yes, definately (she would never have settled in that one). SHe said she thought so too and felt much better and thanked me for my time yesterday. I really felt like saying 'yesterday?? What about the six calls the day before, what about the last 3 years??" Never mind, may get a few days or weeks calm this time tho the calm times are less and less these days. As for topics of conversation to be on the phone all day, that's easy, it's only ever about medications, side-effects (imaginary because of her paranoia) and how she wants the courage to take a lethal overdose. Added to the weeping and wailing, these topics can keep her going 48 hours and more. Sorry this is all about 'self' but I will get back later and read the posts, just wanted to add to the post.
Old 03-20-2004, 06:36 AM   #89  

Smile "Happy First Day of Spring!"

Good Morning Everyone!

Hi SHEILA! --- Hi BLUET! --- Hi PUSS!

Just a very brief message (forgive me for not posting to each this morning). My hubby & I getting ready to leave early this morning... I just wanted you all to know that I have lost 4lbs as of the morning!!!! I went in to weigh myself and was at exactly 200's! Yeah!!!!!!!

"ONE-derland... Here I come!"

Thank-you all so much for your encouragement!!
And have a lovely
"First Day of Spring!"
*God Bless*
SunnyD

*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Last edited by SunnyD57; 03-22-2004 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-20-2004, 11:57 AM   #90  

Way to go, SunnyD!! I bet they could hardly scrape you off the ceiling! You had faith, and you didn't give up! Wahoo!!

Hey, Puss, have you tried just putting the phone down and doing stuff while your Mom talks? That always works on TV, and the caller is none the wiser. Seriously, I do hope her calm, rational period lasts a bit longer this time.

I loved your comment about not trusting the kids to give you an aspirin at this point. I bet it's hard to really see them as being full-fledged doctors some day. But. . .you've got the cancelled checks to prove it!

Our first day of spring is quite lovely so far, just a few high clouds in the blue sky. I told myself that this is the day I'm going to start weeding. It's actually supposed to hit 60 degrees today, and even higher tomorrow. That will be nice for my DH who has been sailing in the drizzle the last few Sundays.

Well, off to enjoy the day--weeding can be enjoyable, right?
Closed Thread