Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 09:01 PM   #16  

My big decision is to cut back on dairy.....I eat too much of it and don't eat meat. I am going to try and eat more seafood instead. Wish me luck because this will probably be my hardest food challenge ever!!!
Old 03-11-2004, 09:06 AM   #17  

Hi Steph and 'MIA' Juno!!!

Good for you Steph with the dairy --- also my downfall. I too don't eat meat - ov-lac veg - so I tend to over do it sometimes in the cheese category. I love fish, but I love it fresh and just can't manage a trip to the store everyday. So weeks with too much pasta - cheese sandwiches are a definate problem.

These days I am doing more with lentils. Seems like I get a craving for one particular ethnic food (right now its Indian) and I just go with it. Dal, Chana Masala, ....mmmmmmm. Its been keeping me in line as far as dairy goes since the only condiment I tend to use is yogurt.

Stressing about money these days and trying to keep the spending down. Seems like things just keep breaking and we can't manage to get ahead. We have to put on a new roof this spring, fix a landscape issue (water in the basement) and our printer just stopped working, which we really only figured out after spending gobs on cartridges... UGH! We need the printer to get the taxes sent so that we'll have money for the roof. I don't want to even think about the credit card. OK - VENT IS OVER.... It just feels like it consumes me some days.

Trying to make it to the gym today and relieve my stress there rather than the fridge. We've got lots of errands to run so it will be tight. SO, that said i should probably dress and get the kids ready.

Trying to keep focused and put everything into perspective...

HAPPY 5% Thursday!
Absmom
Old 03-15-2004, 08:06 AM   #18  

JUNO where are you?!!

Thought I'd check in so that the thread would not be lost...

Weekend was good. Still too cold for me, but we managed to get outside anyway, walk with the kids, play on the swingset. Still muddy, but I know better days are just weeks away. I can't wait to get the yard cleaned up. It is just yuk!

Made it to the gym yesterday and will go today. I STILL need some inspiration and I have decided that for my birthday (and even though we really can't afford it) I am going to get a 5 pack of personal trainer workouts. Perhaps it will inspire me. In the meantime, I will try and plan my workouts before I get to the gym. ramble ramble ramble...

Steph - glad to get your e-mail - YES we will keep in touch regardless of this thread. The support / friendship is just what keeps me grounded some days. Writing things down is SO important in this journey. FOCUS!!

That said, I need to get the kids together and start the day. Exercise mindfully and plan your food. It makes for a stressfree day!! 5%!!
Absmom
Old 03-15-2004, 11:41 AM   #19  

Giving up the cheese worked really good until the weekend where I flopped!! However picking up the pieces and getting back into my one cheese serving a day is back on track. I think DH just set me up for sabotage which is odd but the cheese doesn't have the same affect on him as it does me. I could tell a big difference in 4 days without some type of cheese protein. I wish I liked meat more!!! I have been eating tons of seafood, nuts etc...but I also hope I don't kill my taste for them.

Busy here this week so not a lot of me time. I have things to do 3 out of the 5 weeknights and plans for Sat. Just the begining of the week is Non-fun things Tonight is training and tomorrow is PTA stuff.

I am trying once again to do morning workouts!!!!! This must be the 100th time. I mean it is just 45 minutes earlier than my other wakeup time but it just always seems to be out of my grasp. I am trying just for cardio in the a.m. - weights/pilates will be at naptime still.

Absmom - Isn't it funny how we can always find the money for things that can help our mental health !! We are messing around with our finances to see how we can buy DH a new car......I bought a brand new van this summer and though we can afford two car payments - I don't want to because then all my spending money would be gone. Can't have that!! I am looking around for home equity options as I type.

I need to get ahead of the day!! Which includes pre-making my lunch because my hunger time is coming up!

Steph
Old 03-17-2004, 08:14 AM   #20  

Morning workouts - If I have to meet someone - my sister, a running group, then I am good to go. If its just me.... forget it... Why am I not important enough to get up for??? Keep trying Steph - YOU are worth it! PLUS It is so nice when its over, knowing that you've accomplished something before anyone else has stirred... Let me know how it goes...

SO - I happened to make it to the gym a little earlier yesterday and my "arch nemesis" was there. I do not know why she intimidates me so much. I feel she is SO condescending when she speaks, it doesn't matter what she says, my skin crawls and I do my best to avoid her, but it seems she seeks me out. I said a polite HI, quickly put my headphones on and hit the treadmill for a FAST, head forward run... I guess that's one way to get in a hard workout...

My food is, well, not so terrific. Finding it really hard NOT to snack... The weather is YUK - Snow- and we've been trapped inside / no school... ugh... I know that's part of it.

My goal for today is to count my calories, pre-plan meals and snacks, and have a good weight lifting session.

STEPH - Keep away from the CHEESE.... (Why is it so good?) Happy St Patricks Day (I am not IRISH, but where I live is like little Ireland).

Cheers! Absmom
Old 03-18-2004, 03:05 AM   #21  

Default MIA- not

Hi Friends. Apologies for my scarcity. I did not get any of the email notifications that there had been any replies so I did not know to check - of course what is to stop me from posting myself?

We all got sick here last week. So, after recovering from my wonderful soreness intro to Cybex, it was work and lie flat for a bit, plus little D was home from school 2 days. Just today I'm starting to feel a bit more normal. Food? Not so great. Curses you cute Girl Scouts! Also a function of illness and sloth.

I've been quilting and working on a beaded art project, too, and that has me pretty focused. This is a part of my life that I hope to spend more of my time. I'm working a LOT, the docs just keep talking. I still do the baskets, which is really fun, they have made a lot of changes lately so I have had a little learning curve to deal with. Ds are 11 and 13, so that means I drive the limo around for them. You get the picture?

We have had snow here this week. Go away snow! I guess it really is happening all over the country - it's pretty but we are ready for spring! I love how light it is getting though.

Abs word on the relative poverty issue. We knew the mortgage would be more but we had not reckoned how much more it would be to heat our new bigger place. It just takes a while when you move to get the rhythm back. This month I'll make the final payment on older D's (noncovered by insurance) braces, glad that one is over with and the younger one does not seem to have the orthodontia problems.

But enough on that note! This is about health, fitness, positivity! I had my annual exam today and it went well. My weight is up a few more lbs than I like, but I do not feel as much as I actually deserve given the past week of laxity. My BP is great, need to check the cholesterol and will find that number interesting. I finally had the energy to clean house and while that is not exactly a standard workout it was a good way to ease into moving again, and I had the doors open there for a while. Food was good, I'm cycling in. What shall I do tomorrow?

I too adore cheese and sort of justify it because of the no meat thing. And the calcium thing. And the protein thing. There are definitely better choices and we would all be well served to explore them. I love seafood too but it must be fresh and good for me as well. I do like egg whites and almonds for other protein ideas.

So, I'm here. I must pour a late evening cup of java and get going on my work - break over! When can we plan our continental spa day?

Juno
Old 03-22-2004, 08:16 AM   #22  

Somewhat stressful weekend. Got some disturbing news and I hit the food and blew off the gym. I don't want to beat myself up about it, but I really want to own up. It's almost like I gave myself permission to eat, as if it were an entitlement. I need to work on this so that I can deal with situations differently in the future.

My plan this week is to get to the gym and really be mindful about my food. Eating for health and not for comfort. I am having my annual "Girls Weekend" - friends from high school- and I really want to feel good about where I am - though I know my weight is still much higher than it was in HS. I haven't made the trip in a few years (kids, kids, kids) so I am hoping for a relaxing, laughing couple of days to reconnect with people who really know me.

Juno, you inspire me to get another hobby besides the gym and the TV set. I know the exhaustion factor is high once the kids go to bed, but there must be something I can do besides veg in front of the tube. I'll have to do some investigating...

Steph - sounds like things are picking up at your house committment wise. Nice to see that you plan ahead (make your meals ahead) so that you're not caught making bad choices. Don't forget to schedule yourself some time....

Well, I am off to start the day. Happy 5% to you all!! Let's have a good week!
Old 03-23-2004, 05:21 AM   #23  

Hey there --

Abs it sounds like you have had major stress overload! You are very right to not beat yourself up about it, just start from today, start from this very minute and just do things that are good to you. The one thing I would pull out of our 5% bag of factoids to comfort you is to remember: Your body doesn't have a choice. It's always moving closer to health or further depending on your most recent choices. Make those great choices and your body, I repeat, doesn't have a choice, you will get slimmer, healthier, sleeker, yes. The person with the power here? You.

Simple? Yes.

Easy? Uh.

Oh I am such a hobbyist. My degree is in Art and so I just have that creative streak going on I guess. And I'm not much for TV though I adore movies. What kinds of hobbies appeal to you? I know you are a reader my girl. What about creative writing? Beading is fun. The list is so long.

Go Steph, you always prevail with a way to approach all your goals. Health fitness and weight can be on your yellow legal pad lists with everything else!

So, you may recall that last week I mentioned we were a bit sick around here. Well, I recovered, as did DH, but little D started developing a rash and sort of a malaise - it turned out she got shingles! I did not know that children could get it (its an inflamed dermatome post chickenpox, in the herpes family of fun)--the rash was unbelievably tender and painful for her. We got her treatment and she is doing much better now - but holy cow!

I finally got back to the gym Saturday for cardio, Sunday for the Cybex workout circuit and tonight 50 minutes on my old friend the Buffer (eliptical trainer). Food is so so.

In one of my books on fitness and exercise the author asks you to use a calendar. You mark the calendar with an A if you did a stellar kind of workout, or say a full hour plus. You mark the calendar with a B if you did a just okay or so-so or 'got out there and did something even if I didn't have time to do a great workout" or say you did your half hour and got out of the gym. You mark the calender with off or skip or whatever if you sat on your rear all day and did nothing. I need to look it up and actually complete this thought, because he pretty much lines it out: You need X A days and X B days etc to reach fitness. To me it seems that one could start out just keeping track, and then just push things up gradually, turning off days into B days and B days into A days in a gradual manner. What do you think?

To bed with me...

Juno

Last edited by FitandFine; 03-23-2004 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-23-2004, 09:57 AM   #24  

See now I was the one MIA for a few posts! I went to write yesterday but got distracted so I am doing it first thing today... since it is on my yellow legal pad list!! I know that it is so goofy and my DH still makes fun of me and one of my friends does too but hey it is the only system that works for me!! The list is a bit long today but I shall conquer it!

I did not know kids could get shingles either!! I remember when my MIL had it a few years back and it was awful. I know when I was shopping a few weeks back a woman was trying to find very comfortable underwear for her mom that was in her 3rd week of shingles........I am glad your daughter is responding so quickly to treatment. I thought it always lasted like 6 weeks or so and didn't even know there was a treatment - is that new???

Absmom - big hugs to you girl!! Forgive and move on - it's such a foreign concept because we all guilt ourselves to death being women. Tsk Tsk we broke a rule, had a bad day, ate like a pig........just wake up the next day and forget it even happened. I had a horrible weekend of eating out, bad choices etc.....and yesterday was really hard to get back in the groove and make smart choices. Today is going better! That bad stuff just starts a whole cycle!

I am off the weights for a few weeks and just focusing on the pilates and yoga as my additions to cardio. I feel good doing it but am worried by arms aren't getting enough of a workout.

Now I didn't think my measurements have really changed much over the past year and a half or so. I know that I have gone down a bit and the weight had shifted. I know my butt has shrunk because all my underwear is too big!! I was having great problems with the bras that I had bought this summer and decided I needed to go back for a fitting and start whining. I went last night and the problem was I had lost over 1 1/2 inches off both my ribs and the top measurement from under my arms and around!!!! I got to go down a whole band size and more than 2 cups sizes!!! Only one bra was in the shop and had to order more to fit but this one makes a world of difference. She laughed when she looked at the bra I was wearing and said "honey that is way too big". They were very complimentary about my losing the sizes because they said that often people are going up and I had done a great job of going down So that is my happy body story for now

I was just starting to rate my fitness workouts and was looking for a way to do it. I was going to rate them on a number scale but it didn't look inspiring. I was going to pay myself $5 a day for hard workouts but haven't gotten around to doing that either.....maybe and A & B rating would be good because it is just two choices and I could reward based on that. I need some new spring clothes that fit!

Absmom - sounds great with the girlfriend weekend!! I am jealous. I just do the X-mas card with my best friend from highschool, lost touch with the other two and then my friends from my IL college years have all drifted too. I think part of it is my moving all around- I don't have a problem letting things go. I still have my childhood friend and maybe one friend from each era but no big group. I know Juno still has her friends too- I'd have to hunt mine all down!! Never even went to a reunion and I loved highschool.

Okay must go change diapers, prepare craft, clean breakfast...get the picture Work!!

Have a wonderful Tuesday!

Steph
Old 03-23-2004, 06:32 PM   #25  

Default 5% Club - Calendar

Hey Steph Congrats on the very concrete, indisputable evidence of your long term success! Not to mention an excuse for some shopping.

It was so late last night when I posted but I agree that the calendar thing could really be helpful. I looked it up in the original book I saw it in and the guy wants you to also mark food as G for good and P for poor.

I want 3 choices not 2, so this is what I'm going to do:

Fitness:

A = Stellar workout, at least an hour, or whatever constitutes a stellar workout for you (it could be more for you if you are an athlete, less if you are a beginner, etc)
B = Maintenaance workout day, a half hour or more of doing something sustained, a long walk, not the full workout rush but certainly did something that day.
X - No workout that day.

Food:

+ = A plus means eating the amount required to actually lose weight, or intake of reduced calories with that end in mind.
@ + The "@" sign means maintenance level eating, what you would eat to stay at your current level, eating healthy foods. If you don't want or need to lose weight, this might be every day for you.
- = A minus means a serious day off the program. Could be calorie mayhem, your birthday, or a regular day that a gooey dessert puts over the edge. Also, if your calories are okay but it is all junk food, I'd still call that a minus day.

So every day you will mark your calendar at the end of the day. A+ is the pinnacle of getting the job done for weight loss. Someone simply maintaining would have A@ and B@ and X@ across the board. If you see a lot of B- or X- action y ou might want to tweak it and get some As in there, and also maybe some +'s to counteract those -'s.

I am using my calendar in outlook. That will also help me see what is coming up. I am having some women over for wine and chocolate on Friday - I'm thinking I probably don't want to have a - day before then so there won't be so much impact from having some decadent treats.

I worked out the last 3 days so this is what I have so far:
Saturday was B-
Sunday was A-
Monday was A-

Clearly I'm doing pretty well in workout land but need to work on food. Today will probably not end up a + but I think getting to @ is a worthwhile goal. I have some Juno soup on the stove to that end.

Hey lurkers and fans, you too! The beauty is I think this will work no matter what you are doing. You know, Weight Watchers, Atkins, South Beach, etc., - they all work. Those people in the before and after pictures? They are in the pictures because they FOLLOWED THE PROGRAM not because the program is magic. This idea might help you follow whatever program. If you are in WW then a + for perfect points, a @ if you have a bit extra but didn't go too crazy, a - for a binge day or a day off. The fitness all depends on what you call an A day or a B day FOR YOURSELF.

If you do this for a month and you haven't lost weight - and you want to - I believe you will have an important tool in your hand to figure out what you need to do. Remember your body doesn't have a choice.

Later friends -

Juno
Old 03-24-2004, 09:46 AM   #26  

I have thought about my issues this past weekend and what I have concluded is - This is LIFE. Ups, downs, good times and bad. Reactions are what matters. How I choose to react - license to eat, run to the gym or have a good cry. Good health, both mental and physical are a sum total of our daily reactions to life. As long as we end up more on the "A + " side of things we're golden.

I don't always have to be excited about going to the gym or keeping to a healthy eating schedule. I just have to do it! Done.

Juno - My week has been A@, A@, and today B+ I hope. I can't get to the gym, but I will walk DD1 to preschool with DD2 in the backpack, so that's got to count for something. An easy method to follow. Hope everyone has an A+ day!

Steph - What awesome news about your body. Funny how we don't recognize the changes until someone else brings it to our attention! It's happened a few times in my life; I'd like it to happen again real soon.

I am going to the craft store today to see if anything peaks my interest. I am going to schedule a weekly "NO TV" night and do something productive / creative... I'll let you know what happens.

And now I am off to visit my Grandmother with the DDs. It is tremendously hard-she's an old 85 and has little patience with the kids these days - but she's lonely and I appreciate her...

Happy Wednesday !!
Absmom
Old 03-25-2004, 03:34 PM   #27  

I will be grading my food & exercise habits too. I am managing the a.m. workouts. I wake up and remind myself how much I love having nap time free to read, paint my nails, etc........

Are we going to post or grades? I'm up for it or we can just have it be private.

Okay this is short. Spring break here starts this afternoon so for the next 10 days - too much of my kids since we aren't going anywhere. C arrives Sat., I have a few days off work next week but I can see there is schedules all over the calendar. Must be time for some fun during the day!!

I will post but I am getting stuff ready as we speak. Hard work to keep 12 kids all HAPPY

Steph
Old 03-26-2004, 01:37 PM   #28  

Hi friends - I for one will post what I do, it is so great because it is brief and really a glance at the system says it all! Why don't I write a book and make a million. Anyway, last night I achieved an A+ day, and even more important I worked out for 6 full days in a row, 4 As and 2 Bs. That is quite a hike from my winter/maintenance status quo constantly interrupted by life. Food was three - two @ and one +. My thought is that A goes more with @ and B goes more with + but I'm just going to keep keeping track and then if I'm not getting where I want to be I can tweak what I am doing, gradually.

Abs you are right on, it's life. Stuff just happens and we are so much more multifaceted than what we eat and how we work out. You are so right to be philosophical and get right back to your goals of great strength and health. What did you find at the craft store? Yesterday I found a little time and machine-quilted two wall hanging very small quilts and I'm pretty happy with how they came out (I'm a beginner). It's hard to get up to the studio, but once I get up there I do NOT want to come out. (Note to self: Watch this, there is a reason a lot of quilters are overweight...)

Steph - We are just finishing spring break. I've grumbled a little because I've had extra kids here each and every day, it is not a 'vacation' for me - but it has been great really. Last night my daughters were playing together like they used to when they were younger and shared a room in the other house. Younger D was absolutely glowing from the attention and fun of her teenaged sister. Tonight I am having a home party with Body Shop products (hope it's okay to say it) that a friend signed up for - she brings foot tubs and all these pampering products to try. I'm getting wine, chocolate, cheeses -- and after my 6 great days pretty much figuring on savoring an X- day in full glory.

Then it will be the weekend - I'm feeling better about all my workout and will continue to try to post. You might log on one day and see simply a letter and a symbol...but you will know what I mean!

Juno
Old 03-29-2004, 09:23 AM   #29  

AHHHHHHH.... STRESS.... I am REALLY not a whiner. In fact, as a mom it is my duty to discourage whining... However, I am in the midst of a small, albeit necessary pity party and you're invited. My dds have been sick all weekend. Throwing up, diarhea, too many loads of wash to count, and no sleep for anyone... I was supposed to go away for my (supposed to be annual) "girls weekend" and well... DH was a little overwhelmed so I stayed home. Why do these things always happen when I have something special planned??? It feels like some kind of cosmic conspiracy!!

DH felt bad and was helpful through this whole thing, but was a little too smug when he got to leave for work this morning.... This put me in an even grumpier mood...

Everyone seems to feel fine this morning (except me), so as long as there are no episodes between nap and 11, I am going to the gym. I can't tell you how much I need to have a few moments to myself...

I haven't seen the light of day since Thursday. Food/Exer (as you might imagine has been ... X-,X@,X-. I need to get into a groove about dropping my cals and adding some +'s. PITY PARTY OVER. I will be more positive and breath deeply...

As for the craft store - I didn't go to a good one, so nothing really fun jumped out... Don't think needlepoint is my thing... My girlfriend though, has mentioned a glass blowing class and I've decided to sign up. Its not something I can do at home, but it will get me out of the house once a week... Provided grandma can fill in when DH is working late, I'll be golden....

I am OFF to RE-Start my day!!! 5%5%5%...

CIAO!
Old 03-30-2004, 12:35 PM   #30  

Abs there is nothing quite like family illness to thwart all intensions - I hope everyone is feeling better, what a nightmare. I hope you made it to the gym, but take it easy as you are easing back into it. Yikes.

Boy I'm feeling really good - the grading thing really has me motivated because it is right in front of me in black and white and the simplicity of it gives me so much information. Like why is my food all minuses on the weekend? Something to work on! I had so much chocolate leftover from my Friday party that I had to score minuses on both Sat and Sun - and without the sweets (which isn't really my usual stumbling block) I would have had at least an @ day. Very revealing.

Goes like this:

Friday X-
Sat A-
Sun A-
Mon A@

Today we will see if I can get a + day in there to balance out the weekend a bit. But all the A workouts are "working" even though I have not been super +. I think if my schedule puts me back on B days then I'll need more to tighten up the food.

I read in Vogue yesterday about a trainer that celebrities and big New York $$$ people pay like five-figure weekly fees for him to get their last difficult 10 lbs off - It was actually a good article with some useful tips. Talked about how it takes 50 calories to metabolize a big glass of ice water and when you are talking about losing weight when you are "close" to your goal it is all about 50 calorie savings here and there. It is just that close. The really great thing is he likes his clients to eat an apple or similar (pear) before meals, something with lots of water and fiber in it, it helps keep the calories low overall. I never think of this but I'm going to have apples try to keep me in plus-land today and see what happens.

Steph I hope you are surviving spring break. Ours was last week and I believe for the moms it is anything but a break. It's fun but it's not a break. How is Cassie doing?

Well, wish me well as I hope to make Body Pump, which I decree is an A workout, and I hope to end up at a + or at least an @. I am not doing the scale thing but my clothes are starting to hang more like I like 'em to.

Juno
Closed Thread