Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 11:32 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Default Over 50 and Getting Healthy #11

Thought it was time for a new thread. Seven pages is a lot! Of course, now I can't remember what anyone posted.

So, I'll just say hi! It was a rainy day here except for some glimpses of sun. In fact one glimpse of sun caused a 35-car pile-up on the freeway. Bet you didn't know that sun on a wet road could cause so much trouble. Then there's the wind that almost blew the empty semi off a bridge--that was pretty scary looking.

Had my taxes done by a tax service for the first time ever. I had to pay 6 times the tax bill for the preparation, but I just couldn't figure out how to account for selling some fractional shares of stock. So it was worth it. And it's nice to get it out of the way.

My daughter finally called. She was on the deck of the ship. It's not being decommissioned until 2005 so she has a year on that ship. The ship goes for a training cruise in February, then it's in the shipyard for two months, then it may be deployed to the Persian Gulf. Just a tad stressed about that one, but things can change.

Lots of cold weather east of us--how are all you faring with the thermometer dipping below 0?
Old 01-30-2004, 11:35 PM   #2  

I don't remember who posted the puppy and kitten graphic, but I love it! And, SunnyD, yes, I did see the tulip photo--thank you so much! I'm looking forward to this year's festival in the Skagit Valley. I'll have some photos to post after that.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:26 AM   #3  
Psalm 91:9-11

Location: I am from 29 Palms, California... but now live in Northeast, Ohio

S/C/G: SW-245.5/CW-209/GW-170

Height: 5'5"

Angry Link

Here's a link back to #10 in case you haven't caught up reading

Link:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...111#post509111
Old 01-31-2004, 10:45 AM   #4  

Angry

Good Morning Firends...

I did SHEILA, I posted the puppy & kitten picture, glad you liked it and the flowers I posted for you too

I also left a link for the last thread (#10) so others could open it and catch up reading if need be & a link to this thread (#11) & find there way here.

So happy to hear that you heard from your daughter, but so sorry you won't be seeing her in over a year... prayers for her safety and the safety of her mates.

We still have our taxes to do yet... yuk! We itemise so it takes forever. But what a relief when it's all done... good for you!

As for the weather... we woke up to 4* this morning and had -20* in windchill. We have sun this morning, but because the clouds are cleared away - it all that much colder. Over 300 schools have been closed because of the chilling temps and many accidents & pile-ups from the ice & then snow. We have about 18" of snow here as of today. But it is so pretty with the sunshine and blue sky we have this morning.

Have a great weekend everyone!
(((Hugs)))

SunnyD
Old 01-31-2004, 10:48 AM   #5  

Default Bad luck, or no luck,

Good morning all,
I've got quite a day ahead of myself.
When I got home from work yesterday I had a flooded basement.The thermostat on my hotwater heater was stuck and kept heating the water to the point that it blew the relief valve and from then on the water had just kept pumping, like a garden hose had been turned on, until I discovered it and turned the intake valve off.
I have no floor drain in the basement, so you can imagine how much water is down there.
I guess I was fortunate in a way though when I had a new furnace installed about 12 years ago and they had cut a small hole in the cement floor to put the small condensation pipe down. So, even though there is insulation around that pipe, the water can slowly seep down through that hole. The trouble with that though is that the floor isn't level and most of the water is on the other side of the room.
I didn't even bother with it last night. The damage had already been done and I was tired and pissed off.
I have a shop vac, but I'm going to go buy a new one because I want to pour the water into my washing machine and spin it out so I don't have to carry that bucket up those steps a million times. And my old shop vac probably has crud stuck in it. Now, I'm going to have to have a new water heater installed. ! There goes a big chunk of my tax return.

You know, it is becoming more and more apparent to me how my emotions affect my eating.
A couple weeks ago I was getting hungry more often than I should have, and then I realized it was probably because of the medical tests I had coming up.
Now, this morning, I was ravenous when I woke up, and not for cereal either. I didn't have any eggs, otherwise I'd have had a big vegetable and meat omelet, but instead I had TWO, yes, 2! grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. Thank God they were of whloe wheat bread, extra lean ham and veggie shreds.
Now, 1 1/2 hours later I was hungry again, so I had a bunch of fresh strawberries with splenda. See what I mean?

Now I have to go get dressed and go get my shop vac, some groceries so I can start a crockpot of chili made with crumbles, a new keyboard and then get started vacuuming the water up.

Sheila, thanks for starting a new thread, and Sunny, thanks for putting in the link to it.

See you all later.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:46 PM   #6  

Everyone must be having a great weekend because no-one is posting! I found us on page 2 so just had to remedy that real quick. Although Willow is probably spending her weekend sucking water out of her basement. Poor Willow! How is it going? Will your insurance cover a disaster clean-up crew coming over? I used to work for an insurance company so we dealt a lot with those clean-up crews. They make life so much easier!

Love the kittens, SunnyD. Just wish there weren't so darn many of them out there. Being involved in animal shelters and animal rescue, I fostered tons of kittens. We started a program called Fix 'em in February where we got vets to discount spay/neuter services and we also paid for surgeries for low-income folks. We also operate a low-cost spay/neuter program for cats during the year, too. Even with all that, the local shelter gets boxes and boxes of kittens in June--so many that most just go directly to get euthanized. It's heartbreaking. Oh, sorry, I'm on a soapbox today--guess I'd better get off!

I sure understand about emotional eating, Willow. For me, even something as little as having a houseguest can throw off my eating. It's something I really need to conquer because we can't control life's stresses--we just have to learn how to deal with them appropriately. How one does that, well, I haven't a clue!

Next week I visit my new primary care physician. I hope she's nice--if she's not, I'm dumping her. It's kind of a bummer that you can't meet them before you sign up for them, but I can understand they need to be paid for their time. I need her to give me referrals to my neurologist, acupuncturist and massage therapist. I tried to get someone who, according to the office manager, was okay with alternative medicine. I think I mentioned once that in Washington State health insurers must offer alternative medicine coverage in addition to the traditional coverage, but it has to be authorized by the primary care physician.

Anyone watching the Super Bowl today? My Dad is, but we're not. I got him some shrimp to eat while he's watching the game. Much better for him than the chips he'd rather eat. He still doesn't get that refined carbs are just as bad for him (he's diabetic) as sugar. Yesterday he was in a very "feisty" mood and was really bugging my DH. I finally said that he'd better be nice to the guy who buys him beer (it's low carb beer), and he made motions like he was zipping his mouth closed. Now I know how to get him to shut up! He loves arguing with customer service reps, too, but I'd rather he do that than argue with my husband.

Well, we're supposed to see some sun today. At least it's not raining--yet.
Old 02-01-2004, 02:39 PM   #7  

Angry

Good Afternoon SHEILA, Yes, my hubby & I are cheering for the NE Patriots. My father & brrother are huge fans (they live in Maine). We aren't going to have a party or ayhthing - it's just the two of us that will be watching and cheering.

Go PATRIOTS!!!

I know what you mean about the kittens... it is so very sad! My sister (lives in Maine) has 9 cats and did not have her female fixed, but fixed all the males... made no sense to me. Her female had two litters in the woods where she lives. I could not do that! We are very different people - me & my sister. My boys are my kids and they never go out and were fixed by the age of 7 months. It just has to be so heartbreaking for you to see those kittens (& pups) die.

It is quiet all over the forum today... everyone must be getting ready for their Superbowl / Survivor parties The New Survivor begins after the game ~ looks like it will be very interesting!!

We did get SUN!!! Yesterday and today! It is wonderful and so pretty! The sun is shinning on the trees covered with ice & snow and they glisten like crystal... just beautiful! Very similar to this picture I posted.

"Hello's to everyone!!"
Hope you are all doing well!
Old 02-02-2004, 03:30 PM   #8  

Go Girl Good Job I'm just starting nice to see your posts
Old 02-02-2004, 11:38 PM   #9  

Okay, so where is everyone? Do we need a roll call? Willow, Fatpuss, AngelLover, Jacqui, Bluet and anyone else I missed--where are you? Hopefully warm and safe and eating healthy.

Did you enjoy the game, SunnyD? I made the mistake (big mistake!) of watching the halftime show instead of the game. I did watch about the last 10 minutes of the game, which was pretty darned exciting. I've only ever watched two Superbowls--both when we lived in Colorado and the Broncos were playing--and they were really uneven game, not exciting at all. I'm not a Survivor fan, although I've watched bits and pieces. I do like the hairy guy, though.

Went to aerobics for the first time in a a little over a week. I was pretty tired after the hour so I need to get back into some semblance of shape. We go lift weights tomorrow. I'm going to try and go to every class this month and every T/Th in the weight room. I signed up for a class at the Y called Women on Weights that starts in a week. I'm hoping that I'll learn to use free weights to help me get some muscle definition. My goal is to actually see my arm muscles!

My daughter called and said her ship is going out in the Atlantic next week for five days. All I could think about was, yeah, she won't rack up any cell phone minutes! She needs to learn the lost art of letter writing. . .

Hope everyone's Monday went well.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:58 AM   #10  

Angry Tuesday Morning

Hi SHEILA, I was wondering the same thing!!! "Where is everyone???" We haven't seen much of ANGEL... and I am very concerned. She hasn't posted in the other thread either. Or anyone else for that matter What's going on... is it the winter blues?

Yes, Joe & I enjoyed the GAME allot... we were cheering for the Pats, but not the half-time show What a shame that it has to come to this kind of stuff for entertainment. What is happening with our world?! And what is CBS thinking hiring MTV!?! They always just do what they want & then apologize afterwards for it... making these flimsy excuses! I was so bummed out about the whole half-time show! All the wonderful entertainers out there and that's who they go with! On the other hand: There was Beyonse (sp?) - she sang the National Anthem and did a wonderful job! She was absolutely beautiful and sang awesome! Dressed beautifully and was very respectfull to the U.S. (allot of people all over the world watch this game!). Just so sad that it had to happen...

So glad that you heard from your daughter... she'll be in my prayers!

Good for you getting back into your workouts! Me too... I worked out on my elliptical on Monday - did 4.6 miles in 30 minutes - and this morning I went to Curves and worked out for 40 minutes. It really feels good to get back into workouts, doesn't it.

Well Sheila, I am feeling very hungry so I am going to grab an apple and then take a shower. You have a good day today.

Hope to hear from everyone real soon!!
Old 02-03-2004, 04:12 PM   #11  

Hi everyone....sorry been so long about posting.
This pc is driving me crazy. I spent about 2 days & nights getting it straightened up....AGAIN.

Last night & today I've felt really bad. Having a RA flare up. All I can do to just sit up...I keep going back to the bed, though. Dr says when this happens, I just have to rest until I get better. I HATE having this! Didn't mean to worry anyone....I'll be back when I feel better. Thanks for thinking of me. I just thought I'd check on everyone for a few minutes.
Have a good day.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:56 PM   #12  

Angry

ANGEL, It is so good to see you again!
You feel better real soon, okay.
**Prayers** & (((Hugs)))
Old 02-03-2004, 05:14 PM   #13  

Angry

Just wanted to share this picture with you all of Joe & Guido... Guido was helping Joe put in the new TV we got last night (our 12 yr old TV finally died ) Do you guys see that Guido is standing on his "tippy-toes" - so adorable!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Joe (3).JPG (48.3 KB, 31 views)
Old 02-04-2004, 02:41 PM   #14  

Love the kitten picture, SunnyD! And Guido is too funny "helping" install the new TV. I hope you turned on Animal Planet for him.

Thanks for checking in Charlotte. I'm sorry you're feeling so poorly and hope you are doing better soon. We miss you!

And everybody else, where the heck are you?? I wonder if Puss is having more computer problems. And Willow, what's happening with you? Come out, come out, wherever you are!

We actually had some sun yesterday. I thought about weeding, but put that thought right out of my mind. You just can't weed in early February. Then it rained at night, when it's supposed to. So far it's been cloudy, but warmish, and no rain. The weather dude said that we've received 30% more rain this winter than average, but I haven't really noticed that much more. My friends are leaving for six week in Hawaii soon, though, and I do wish I could go with them. They try to do that twice a year. Sounds like the life!

After aerobics today I went to see my new primary care physician. She didn't blink an eye when I asked for referrals for massage, acupuncture, the neurologist and physical therapy. No hassles at all. I like her already!

Hope everyone, wherever they may be, has a pleasant Wednesday.
Old 02-05-2004, 12:55 PM   #15  

I hate seeing us on Page 2 so I'm bumping us up here. Hopefully someone else will post soon! I know that my Norton Antivirus software stopped the MyWorm virus from getting to me yesterday. I'm wondering if other people weren't so lucky?? I was getting at least 10 virus-laden e-mails a day, but now it's down to about 3 or 4.

I e-mailed Willow and Bluet to make sure they are okay. That'll teach 'em to give me their e-mail addresses!

Last edited by Sheila53; 02-05-2004 at 12:59 PM.
Closed Thread