Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 08:12 PM   #31  
deleted2

Amarantha, it happens, dear! Now here's some help getting back on the wagon.

I've seen coupons in magazines lately for 3 Musketeers candy bars--buy one get one free. There's a part of me that says I'd be crazy not to do it, being a basically thrifty soul---but I've been able to resist so far. Sneaky, sneaky demons....

Old 01-22-2004, 08:17 PM   #32  
deleted2

oops, I'm afraid I've misled the queens; I don't use the fat-free cream cheese--I cheat by mixing one package of fat-free cream cheese, and one pkg. of neufchatel [lite] cream cheese. Not completely fat-free, but close!

Old 01-23-2004, 09:21 AM   #33  
deleted2

Default Jan. 22

Breakfast: coffee w/ 1/2 and 1/2
9-grain bagel w/ peanut butter
clementine**apple**banana
[Had this at Panera Bakery--I smuggled in my own fruit! I know it sounds like alot, but we lingered there for almost 3 hours visiting witha friend.]

Lunch: sm. cup mushroom-miso soup
tofu-veg. horapa w/ rice
[had this at Thai restaurant]

Dinner:low-fat frozen yogurt w/ caramel and almonds [at ice cream store]

There. I had all 3 meals out today. What do you think? I feel pretty good about it. The only places I can see to improve is maybe having 1/2 a bagel instead of the whole, and having fruit on my yogurt instead of caramel. Always fine-tuning!
Today I'll have 2 meals out. We'll see how it goes. Stay tuned for the next stirring installment!

Exercise: 15 min. dumbells
1 1/2 hour walk

Old 01-23-2004, 12:44 PM   #34  
Empress/Queen

Yo, E, my recipe for bisquits is just the standard one my ol' granma made ... it's not written down but is just self-rising flour, shortening and baking powder ... she put grated cheese and herbs in them ... I switched the shortening to canola oil and cut it by half and cut out the cheese altogether, adding ff milk powder, a few sprays of butter spray and more herbs. Now I've switched half the self-rising flour with the whole wheat and increased the baking powder. I mix and work the dough like she did, with my hands ... she put oil on her hands but I spray them, the dough and baking sheet with a little canola oil spray (no calories). I don't roll them out, just divide the dough into chunks and shape into rough balls. Bake at 365 for approximately 15 minutes. According to WW, these are still 5 points, but according to me, they are 4 points (200 calories ... that may seem high but they are low in fat ... for bisquits and a filling way to kill my carb cravings)!!!

Tons of work to do today and late meeting two hours away! So, I'll just say, I'm on DAY ONE of my Candy NOT journey (again!!!) ~!
Old 01-23-2004, 08:29 PM   #35  
deleted2

Amarantha, know what they call those kinds of biscuits in my neck of the woods? That is, the kind you don't roll out, you just tear off a piece from the dough? They're called cat heads, because the chunk is about the size of a cat head!!! Next time you give kitty a head scritch, you'll see what I mean!

Your "cat head" recipe sounds great--I'm going to give them a try, seems like the recipe would lend itself well to all kinds of variations. Hmmm....cinnamon raisin, chocolate chip?

Old 01-23-2004, 08:40 PM   #36  
deleted2

Default Jan. 23

coffee w/ ff 1/2 &1/2
2 oat bran pancakes w/ honey butter, apples***1 "sausage"

1/2 baked potato w/ lo-fat veg-ranch dip
sm. salad w/ ff French
3 chocolate covered strawberries**clementine
[Had this meal at "Wendy's" w/ MIL. I 'smuggled' in the dip and the fruit, and I had a great meal there! I could get really obnoxious with this...]

2 tortillas w/ veg. fajitas
beans, rice, small salad and salsa
[Had this at a Mexican restaurant. Didn't have any chips--hoorah! The only thing I should've done differently is to have only one tortilla. Huge amount of food---lots of leftovers for lunch tomorrow, where I'll load them into proper whole wheat tortillas!]

I'm officially tired of eating out now. 5 meals in 2 days is waayyy too much. I look forward to dining at home!

EXERCISE; 45 min. step tape
40 pushups
200 crunches [you'd think my belly would be flat as a fritter, but it's not! ]

Old 01-23-2004, 08:46 PM   #37  
deleted2

Okay, last time! Just wanted to say that i'm amazed at how automatically I'm still reaching for candy. I've been able to catch myself so far, but IT'S EVERYWHERE! I was at the library tonight with Garry and the librarians always keep a jar of candy there and I gravitated toward it, it's like being pulled by an unseen force. Must......resist!

Old 01-24-2004, 08:32 AM   #38  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Lightbulb Still OK

Am still whine/wine free....however the no eating after 7 is dead...so will just continue with the one for now...but I have no clue what day I'm on...is it day 9 today? Arg!

The friend's DH died Thursday eve...5ish. Visitation Sunday and funeral Monday...what a nerve racking ordeal...interesting the way the family works and doesn't work....

Oh and diet cranberry with rum tastes just as bad as it sounds...I didn't drink it for fun...it tastes like medicine!

Ceara
Old 01-24-2004, 09:07 AM   #39  
Empress/Queen

Ceara, sorry about your friend's dh ... you are doing really good to stay whine/wine free! Good idea not to push the envelope with the after 7 challenge right now! One step at a time seems good!

And, yup, you and Bad Food Demon Slayer Eydie are on Day 9 ... Slayer Amarantha be on DAY TWO of Candy NOT!!!! Thass ok, though!!!!

Yes, Slayer Eydie, the candy demons be everywhere ... I'm actually overeating in compensation, but it's good because the power of the candy to alleviate my stress will gradually lessen.

I think cat heads is a hilarious name for chunk biscuits ... actually, though my chunks seem more the size of a newborn kitty's head but the biscuits come out rather large, at least large enough for me. I like thy idea of a sweet variation ... chocolate made with cocoa powder maybe? ... these could also be a base for strawberry shortcake. I suppose I could bring the fat content down even more, but I am not so concerned about eating a healthy oil as WW seems to be ... that's why I just count the biscuits 4 points (at 50 cal each) rather than the 5 they technically come out on the WW calculator. I think olive oil would also be good with the herbs.

Gotta work! On to day 2 for me, day 10 for everyone else!!!!! Yowza!
Old 01-24-2004, 08:01 PM   #40  
deleted2

Hey Amarantha, I knew someone who used to make perfectly serviceable biscuits using only self-rising flour and fat-free buttermilk. They weren't as tender and succulent as traditional biscuits, but still really good. And no fat. I'd totally forgotten about these--not to mention the less fat you put in them the more fat you can put on them! No, Bad Eydie! I'm also plagued by the slippery butter demon---I dare not even have the first taste of butter....

Old 01-24-2004, 08:09 PM   #41  
deleted2

Default January 24--Saturday

Coffee w/ ff 1/2 &1/2
2 whole wheat toast w/ humuus and spinach, peppers, cucumber
clementine

1/2 Clif bar
apple
sm. yogurt-fruit parfait [from Mcdonald's---these really aren't bad!]

1 1/4 c. brocolli-ramen salad w/ 1 tbsp. cashews
2 soy hot dogs w/ whole wheat buns, mustard, ketchup, onions

snax: 1 c. strawberries w/ lo-fat ice cream sandwich
3 ww crackers w/ 1 tbsp. peanut butter

Calories: 1560
exercise: 40 min. walk

I'll be posting that brocolli-ramen salad recipe--later when I'm feeling more ambitious! It's so unbelievably good, I want it all the time! There's something so satisfying about it.

Old 01-25-2004, 02:33 PM   #42  
Empress/Queen

Eydie, great minds must think alike!!! Actually, I bought some buttermilk powder that's just for baking. I'm going to replace some of the oil with that, although I do think some fat is good for us to eat ... but I'd still like to bring the points count down on these!

Not weighing in today (need a break from that) but restarting my program and my CANDY NOT challenge to Day 1 because it's easier for me to keep track of things if I start them on Sunday ... the first day of the week!

So, 21-day challenge for Amarantha (Candy NOT) is at Day One and counting! I WILL REACH 21! Demon Slayers Eydie and Ceara be on Day 10 (unless the palace hears otherwise) ... Slayer Kaylets, be thou there? Inquiring minds ...

Gotta work after I check in on NOLA, which has slipped off the first page! Can't be having that, can we!!!!?
Old 01-26-2004, 09:00 AM   #43  
Empress/Queen

Yowza! Greetings to the Demon Food Slayers!!!! I'm on Day 2 of my 21 days of CANDY NOT and feelin' strong. I don't write down everything I eat (just the points/calories) but my best nutritional meal yesterday was salmon baked with dill sauce and butter spray, corn in lowfat butter sauce and brocolli in lowfat cheese sauce, followed by a clementine and a carb control shake (EAS). Possibly I'll repeat that today ... dunno, very busy.

Eydie, I get good results by just spraying the biscuits (or any bread) with zero cal butter spray ... it's just like slathering it in butter ... I do realize that if you use too much of this, it DOES add up to a calorie or two and a fat gram or two, but it's still much better than using butter ... and I can't tell the difference taste wise. It satisfies the part of me that wants to put butter on everything.

AMARANTHA'S CANDY NOT, DAY TWO AND COUNTING!

DAY 11 AND COUNTING FOR DFS EYDIE & CEARA (participants asked to please notify the Palace Police, Demon Food Division, if there's been any changes in that number)!

DFS Kaylets, the palace wasn't sure which day thou starteth but thou be stalwart nevertheless!!! How beist thou doing on thy march to 21 days!!!!!? Inquiring minds wanna knoweth! Yowza!!!!

Avanti, Slayers! Be careful out there as the BAD FOOD DEMON GANG is out in full force and effect on Mondays preying on unwary Mondayites!
Old 01-26-2004, 10:10 AM   #44  
deleted2

Amarantha, I see that the Universe is pressing me to use this butter spray---You're the second person to recommend it to me in the last 2 days! Thanks!

Snowed yesterday all day long and I wanted to eat ALL DAY LONG, and so I did. Oh well, it happens sometime. I have to make this a big workout day, because I did some serious slacking yesterday--only 20 minutes with my dumbells.

Sunday--Jan. 25, 2004

coffee w/ ff 1/2 and 1/2
migas [egg sub., 'fajita; vegs., corn tortillas, salsa, lo-fat sour cream, lite cheese]
1/2 c. potatoes

1/2 oat. breakfast bar**clementine

1/2 c. brocolli-ramen salad w/ 1 tbsp. cashews
3 ww crackers w/ 1 tbsp. peanut butter

cucumber and carrots w/ lo-fat ranch

Slim-A-Bear ice cream bar

2 servings oyster crackers

Salad [spinach, vegs., soy 'chik' patty, 1 hard-boiled egg w/ ff Italian
1 weight watchers peanut butter mousse thing

So that was 1955 calories....the good news is I at least measured everything and kept it below 2000.

Old 01-26-2004, 01:51 PM   #45  
Empress/Queen

Eydie, the butter spray also comes in flavor varieties ... I'm really sold on it.

Re the biscuits, I didn't actually buy the buttermilk powder, I accidentally bought cornstarch! So I made the same recipe as above today but left out half the fat, using only 3 tablespoons of canola for the recipe instead of 6. They actually rose higher and taste better and are a solid 3 points (135 cal, 3.5 fat, 1.5 fiber) ... butter spray on top is free, as far as I'm concerned!
Closed Thread