Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 07:17 PM   #61  
Student of the Hoof

Ha!! I did it! Ha!

Two miles on the treadmill. No riding lesson for Nickie tonight, too windy, too cold. So I got my oh so fluffy butt moving tonight. So Happy, thank you for that very motivating and very timely little challenge.

Lets see if I can get myself up in time to work out tomorrow morning, eh? My legs hurt a little less this time. I relaced a little differently, that helped, and I kept my runs to a tenth of a mile this time. So far so good.

Jolly - Congratulations on that loss!! And you were right. Go workout, you'll feel better. That foul mood is really self generated, and like I said earlier, I think mostly anger at myself. So now it's slightly mitigated.

Tracy - I'm so sorry you're sick again! All that stress leaves you so vulnerable to any bug that comes along. Get some rest, drink LOTS of water, eat right and take your vitamins! I hope you feel better soon!
Old 01-20-2004, 01:51 AM   #62  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Raven, that's Terrific on the treadmill! You should be very, very proud of yourself. Especially when you said exercise was the hardest thing to get back in the grove on. The hardest part was getting there, wasn't it?

Tracy, sorry to hear you are on round 2 of the flu. Chicken soup, rest and everyone helps out, even if everyone just works for 15 minutes to pick up and help. Hope you feel better.

Jolly, congrats on the downward poundage this week! Hope the week is less hectic for you.

I had a crappy day myself. But I did do the 2 mile WATP tape tonight. Sometimes you just have to push yourself and ignore the whiny voices in your head.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:59 AM   #63  
Super Star

Morning

Thanks gals for the sympathy!!

Awesome on both of you doing the treadmill and the tape. You guys are super duper on your goals.

Great job on the two pound loss Jolly!! You go girl

Kids at school..am gonna rest before work.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

Tracy
Old 01-20-2004, 09:09 AM   #64  
Student of the Hoof

And another step. I'm pasting this from my journal because I know Jolly doesn't hit those.

I got up late enough so that I considered sliding into my usual "uh oh, I didn't get up in time to work out." But... I didn't. Instead, I said "Marian, you silly poohead, you KNOW you have time to work out, so stop making ridiculous excuses that you are no longer buying into and get your oh so fluffy butt on that treadmill."

So. I did. *dance* Yeah, it wasn't the most awe-inspiring workout I've ever done, but it was a workout. One and a half miles on the treadmill, 30 minutes, woo. I have proven to myself once again that yes, I CAN get up in the morning and move faster than a sloth. Barely, perhaps, but enough.

I have also come to the conclusion that if I can find the time to drive over a half hour each direction to the stables on lesson nights and spend over an hour playing with ye olde pony, then on nights when I am not able to go riding because of weather, I can damn sure find the time to work out in my garage for 30-45 minutes. Tonight we're not sure if there's going to be a lesson or not because it's a tad chilly out there for my wimpy self. That means UBWO tonight.

Food was pretty much OP yesterday, still falling short of my calories by about 100 or so, but getting better. Water was on the mark. And I'm down another half pound unofficially. Monday morning is the official weigh in, which means that if I want a loss this week, my dinner out better be LIGHT. *nose wrinkle* That always seems to me to be a contradiction. I know I CAN eat light when I go out, but who wants to? Bah. Priorities. Lose the weight or stuff my face? My choice. My decision. My responsibility.

I've been studying a lot of horse training stuff lately. Yeah, I know - big surprise. I've found a couple trainers who I really identify with as far as their philosphies and methods. One of them uses a saying that lately, I see applies to me as well. Go backwards in training till you get a yes answer. In other words, if you see yourself not meeting a goal, rebelling against your own plan, sabotaging yourself, go back to a point where you CAN meet the goal, stay OP, and then move incrementally forward from there. There are always going to be times when we have to step back a bit. With horses, dogs, kids... why not ourselves? Just because we know something intellectually does not mean we have trained ourselves to put it into practice. You can read all about something, and still not be able to do it unless you practice it. Well, all this complete reworking of eating, exercise, and how I think about myself takes practice. Training a horse or dog or kid or man (did I say that?) doesn't progress smoothly without any hitches. There are days when my horse will do exactly what I ask perfectly, then the next day I'll go out there and it's like I'm starting all over again. I'm so patient with him and his learning process, why do I not apply the same patience with myself? I'm LEARNING something here. I'm training myself into a whole new approach to life, and yet I think just because I read about it, I should be able to do it. Poof, just like that. Well, no... I don't any more. I'm beginning to get that this really is all about learning, and just like I didn't learn to walk overnight, or speak a new language overnight, or without forgetting something sometimes, I will have my stumbles on this learning curve, too. I dropped back to where I could get a yes answer, and now I'm moving incrementally forward. It's so easy, and we make it so difficult.

Happy - You're absolutely right about not listening to the whiny voices. I'm still not completely over my annoyance at myself, but I am making strides towards regaining my self respect. I offend even myself when I listen to my own whining. Very big congrats for doing the tape!

Tracy - I hope you feel better today! Take it easy, let yourself recover completely before you push too hard.

I hope everyone is having a great week so far!
Old 01-20-2004, 09:10 AM   #65  

Hey all. I hope we all start feeling a bit better, physically, and emotionally. Sounds like the winter blahs have set in.

congrats to Raven on your workouts. You go girl. See, exercise does make you feel better.

I need a pat on the back myself. I had another bout of acid reflux last night, and still got up and did my workout this morning. I even did weights!!! Hurray.

I just need to figure out ways to keep motivated. Little reminders. Maybe putting notes in my purse or something. Or a bikini picture. I decided to keep one of my mortgage guys business cards in my purse, so I think about spending money before I do. I really want to get a house next year.

Oh yeah, I had to share a quick laugh. I wear glasses or contacts. the arm broke off my glasses a while ago, so I have been very limited in when I can wear them. I budgeted money into my flex spending plan to pay for them, but for now . . . Well, I was looking for something else over the weekend, and found my previous pair ( I am such a packrat). They look like Sally Jesse Raphael's, but the prescription is real close if not the same. Hurray. Now, until next year's lazer surgery . . .

Have a great day all. I wish I could send sunshine to all. By the way, E, what part of Wisconsin are you from??
Old 01-21-2004, 12:24 AM   #66  
Choose your hard

Marian, you silly poohead - oh Raven you crack me up! It really does sound like you've made that last little leap into getting "your rear in gear" again. Perhaps that raise that you so desperately needed not only boosted the wallet and the self esteem, but also freed your mind to focus on other stuff. What you said is so true about finding the time for things if you really want to. I had to cut back on being more active in the journals because it was just getting me to bed too late. And I found that I MUST do my workouts right after work and before I get dinner on in order to have them done. I still hold hope that soon I will be able to get up earlier and do them first thing in the morning like I should. And it's also interesting about you relating the horse training to your own life. I too have realized that if I'm going to act like a 2 year old, I must treat myself that way and "re-teach" myself the right way to behave.

to you Jolly for getting your workout done. And for what it costs for glasses, I think over the long haul the surgery is a good idea. However I am way too squeemish to even consider it unless I had no other choice. When you can be completely knocked out, then I will consider it. I know they freeze your eyes, but they'd have to paralyze me totally because the lower half of my body and my arms would be waving and swinging as they brought that machine near my eyes. But hats off to those who can handle it!

Tracy, hope you are feeling a bit better today. Did the good fairy come over to clean your house? - no? Hmmm she didn't show up at my place either

I had a sort of crappy day. I went to the dentist first thing as the nerve in the crown he put on was going haywire and giving me lots of pain. He worked on me for an hour and 1/2 and said I'd really be hurting after the novacaine wore off. He wasn't lying. He did give me prescription pain meds but they didn't do squat. I finally gulped down 4 Motrin at 7pm and the pain is finally dulling out. I had so much planned for tonight but it was a lay around with a hotpack kinda night. At least it's dulled enough so I think I'll be able to sleep ok and it should be quieted down by the morning. I tell you one thing, I would never be able to handle gastric bypass surgery and eating only soft foods for a month or so afterwards. I haven't been able to chew much for the last few days and I'm really hungry Plain soup just doesn't fill you up and even though your mouth hurts your stomach still says FEED ME!!!!!!

Hellos to all, have a good Wednesday.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:10 AM   #67  

Good morning all Hey, Happy. I hope the pain dies down soon. As for filling up, I love low fat chocolate milk. Ifind it does fill me up, and gives me that wonderful chocolate feeling. Ymm. As for lazer surgery, yeah, I am scared witless. That is why I am waiting for next year. I want to really research it, and not just jump in. And, it will take me a year to find my "happy place." From what I have heard, they have a nurse there to hold your hand. Or hands. Or feet. Or just restrain the heck out of you - whatever.

I am feeling really good about things right now. I had a little bump in the road, but am staying on track. One of my staff and I are going to help each other out. She wants to lose weight to get on Fear Factor, and I just want to lose weight. I told her how I just want to change one behavior at a time. First work on poriton control, and chosing healthy comfort foods, then deal with not needing food for emotional support. But one vice at a time. She wanted to cut out my soda right away. I told her that and my salt addiction would have to wait, or the only thing I would lose is my sense of humor.

Have a great day all.
Old 01-21-2004, 01:13 PM   #68  
Student of the Hoof

Good afternoon, folks!

Happy - I think I finally may have made it to honest to goodness back-on-track land, too. And yes.. as I wrote in one of my journal entries, now that I don't have to obsess about whether I'm getting the raise or not, I'm free to obsess about my food, water, and exercise. Ok, you got my sympathy the second I read the word "dentist." *screams and runs* I'm so sorry you had to go through that! I hope the pain abates very quickly for you, it's hard to focus when pain keeps interfering. If you're like me, you hate being drugged out, too. Yogurt, cottage cheese ... can you eat those things? Jello is always good. I hope you're back to regular food soon, that would drive me nuts!!

Jolly - "Restrain the heck out of you..." That sounds REALLY fun. If that house up in AK sells, that's one of the things I've seriously considered for myself and my daughter. It's so cheap now... and we have some really good clinics down here. But I have to admit the thought of just laying there and letting that machine fry my eyeball is ... well .. yeah, scary. One thing at a time seemed to be the only way I could get going this time, too. It *felt* like I jumped right in last time, but I think last time I was just so unaware of everything I needed to change that I changed what was obvious first, then added things as I went. This time, I know EVERYTHING that I need to change, and didn't want to start over. Well, look at me, I ended up starting over. It didn't take as long this time to get to where I'm really OP and knowing what I'm doing is right for me, so that's a plus. I hope teaming up with your co-worker really helps, I kinda wish I had someone here to do that with!

This morning was supposed to be weights, but I really didn't feel like it, so I did the treadmill again instead. And I'm cool with that. My legs aren't hurting near as much, and I managed to run three tenths of a mile without stopping. That's up from the quarter mile, and very much up from not being able to even do one tenth the first time I ran in those shoes. Linda wrote something in her journal about not really wanting to do weights because she saw her progress on the scale come to a complete halt. I know when I was lifting it adversely affected the numbers, as well. And inches aren't as easy to see, because you don't always lose them in places you can measure. I know muscles mass more, burn more calories. But I think that stalling out on the scale is scaring me just as much as it bothered Linda. Psychologically, I really NEED that scale to drop right now. And towards that end, I think I'll stay away from the lifting for a little while. I may do the squats and lunges just to work my flexibility and balance, as well as stretch out all that connective tissue, but I don't want to add weight to it yet. I know that at some point, I will really want to define my muscles more because I love the look, the feeling, and the actual process of lifting. It's a rush. For now, the biggest rush will be seeing that number go down.

The week is half way over, ladies!
Old 01-21-2004, 02:37 PM   #69  
Choose your hard

Miriam PLEASE do NOT even consider laser eye surgery for Nickie. She is way too young. Any doctor worth his salt is now recommending that this procedure not be done before the age of 25 - they don't know the long term effects of this yet. Plus as you know, your eyes change throughout the years. Laser surgery is not a one shot deal - you have to go in for periodic "tweakings" or resort back to glasses again.

Allow me to step up for a second. Ahem... I am really getting concerned about the trend to "fast track" something and laser surgery and gastric bypass come to mind. They were developed for a specific intention but now it seems that many people resort to them for a quick solution and maybe the wrong reasons without thinking things through. I have always been leery of doing things for pure "vanity" reasons. Have surgery to correct things like a cleft palate or a disfigurement. But look at stuff like Fen-Fen, silicone breast implants and even people who had eye surgery that didn't take as well as it should. I'm waiting to see what's going to happen years down the road to people who had gastric bypass. Will they develop diseases and colon cancer because their body has been "altered" other than how nature intended? And how do you get the possible nutrients you need when your stomach is the size of an egg? I know after time it does stretch a little but I don't think it's ever a typical size again. And it has to tell you something when you HAVE to take vitamins every day for the rest of your life. Don't get me wrong, for some people this drastic measure has been the difference between life and death (and death for 1 in 200 people who have it). My point again is just that people look to the sometimes wrong short cut instead of putting in the effort. Just like they are quick to blame PMS for all their woes. PMS doesn't put the food in your mouth - you do. I'm starting to accept that in the end success is up to me. It's my choice and I have no one to blame but myself if I don't succeed or even make some upwards progress. Ok sorry, I'll step down now. Just please, if you consider ANY surgical procedure, do lots and lots and lots of research and talking to people who've had it done too.

Last edited by happy2bme; 01-21-2004 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:31 PM   #70  
Student of the Hoof

Erm - Happy.. not to be the dissenting voice, but.. to dissent. I know scads of people who have had the eye surgery. Many people I know had it done well over 15 years ago. Some of them have had to have tweaks, some haven't. My brother had his done about 8 years ago and that was that. I don't really consider laser eye surgery a "quick fix." I'm considered legally blind. My glasses cost over $475 a pair if I want something that doesn't make me look like I'm wearing coke bottle bottoms. I've been wearing glasses since I was 7. I should have had them much, much earlier in my life, but hey.. I was raised in the wilds, no one knew I couldn't see, and I didn't know any better. I'm 43 now, and my eyes are actually slowly getting better as I age. While others would be getting farsighted, my prescription just changes a little. I can't wear soft contacts, and gas permiables hurt. I know one person who had a bad reaction to surgery and had problems with halos. He has since had that corrected. I imagine there are people out there who have had more serious complications. But .. I think it's worth the risk for myself. As far as my daughter goes, I actually started looking into that, because her eyes aren't that bad, and I think contacts would be a better option. However, everything I've read and the most reputable clinics I've spoken with say she could have them done at 18 as long as her prescription has been steady for several years. I'm also planning on getting a tummy tuck as soon as this weight is off because I've lost it before and gained it back in part because with this excess skin hanging off my front, my appearance was so depressing I unwittingly just gave up. It's not going to happen again. I can't say I would ever get gastric bypass, or breast implants... but I can't write off someone else getting it done, either. I'm not living in their skin. People have all sorts of reasons for doing things. As long as they're not making me do it, I couldn't care less. My daughter also wants to have serious breast reduction done. I have already warned her that no plastic surgeon worth his degree will do it as soon as she wants it done. But I don't argue with her desire to have it done. I do encourage her to wait, because people do change over time, and she is young. But I respect her desire.

I know what you mean in a sense... people who think that gastric bypass will solve all their problems are in for a shock. As a matter of fact, we have at least one young lady on the journals who had the surgery and is now fighting to lose weight again. But like you said, I also think that there are those people who can, and have, really benefitted from the surgery. For some it has literally been life saving. There are serious risks involved. But then, everything is relative. And if someone does do the research, and determines that surgery is in their best interest, then so be it. There are people out there who have had surgery to completely alter their looks, body mods were all the rage for a while. I guess each person has to determine inside themselves what constitutes a "quick fix."

And to be completely honest, I feel the same way about anti-depressants that you just unloaded on about surgery. I think as a society we have become far too dependent on little pills instead of working on coping skills. But, again, that's just me. I'd rather have someone take an antidepressant than take their life, you know?
Old 01-22-2004, 01:36 AM   #71  
Choose your hard

Hey Raven, you points were well taken but I was talking more in the context of Nickie specifically with as young as she is and her body still growing and developing. One of my physical therapists last year is about 25. Her husband had REALLY bad vision and had the laser surgery with good results. She however, only wore glasses occasionally for driving on the highway and SHE had the surgery too. I didn't say anything but thought why? Geez you wear your glasses about 5 hours a week in the car and you say you don't like glasses? Well how do you deal with sunglasses then? That to me was crazy. I can certainly understand someone like you considering it, especially if you can't do contacts. My vision is pretty bad too and I can't wear contact because of allergies. It's actually getting to a point on some things where I can't see with my glasses and can't see without them. I'm just squeemish when it comes to some things and also terrified of something going horribly wrong and I'm blinded. Also too years ago when laser first came out my opthomologist at the time - a well respected doctor at the hospital was pushing me (I felt) to have the surgery. At the time I had just discovered I needed near vision in addition to the distance lenses. This was when they could only correct distance vision. I asked if I'd still need glasses, he said yes for reading. Well since my work is on the computer and reading, I'd still be wearing glasses half the time anyway so duh, WHY do surgery? I was also glad I ran out of there as one of the first post surgical effects was halos at night and I have enough of a problem with that already. But it is not for me to judge what anyone else does. I've been harboring some frustrations lately and I guess it came out a little strong in my post.

Your eyes sound a lot like mine. I got glasses at the age of 6 - loved to read under the covers with a flashlight at night when I thought Mom wasn't looking. I will always remember walking home from school the first day I had them and stopping to stare at the grass. I never realized the grass was made of blades! To me it was one big, green blob. That's how blind I was at 6 years old. And it's been the $500 glasses for me too - ultra thin lenses, scratch resistant, all the coatings and such. Cripes 1 pair of regular glasses, one pair of close up work glasses and one pair of sunglasses could probably feed a family in a third world country for a year. So in the long run, the surgery would pay for itself in a few years.

The good news is that my tooth is much better. I can eat now, just can't chomp down completely. I did do a good workout today, ate decent and got my water in. And it felt good.

Hope y'all have a Terrrific Thursday.

Last edited by happy2bme; 01-22-2004 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:25 AM   #72  
Student of the Hoof

Happy - yep... sounds like we're twins on the eye issue. My world changed completely when I got glasses. Sometimes I think I liked it better when I couldn't see things. And if you came off a little strong, I probably came off kind of defensive. My apologies. One of my character flaws, but I'm working on it. I'm glad your tooth is better. And I hope this week smooths out for you and the frustrations ease. *hug*

This week seems to be a week of pondering fat as a defense mechanism and how it relates to passion. Not necessarily sexual passion, passion as in very strong emotion towards anything. Anger, love, joy, jealousy, the whole gambit. I feel like there is a connection there inside me, and it's a bit like a loose tooth, I can't keep myself from wiggling it. Perhaps the thoughts will come together and I'll be able to post something coherent.

For now.. Two miles this morning, and it was so weird that I actually played that mental game in my head. You know.. the "Gee I don't really feel like working out, but I should." Then nearly tripping over myself and smiling as I moved quickly to get to the treadmill. It's almost like it's just ingrained in my routine to play that game with myself, whether I really feel it or not.

Off to work!
Old 01-22-2004, 07:10 AM   #73  

Good morning all. Let me say, I see both sides of the surgery issue. I also am near blind without glasses, and have had to wear glasses/contacts since I was in 2nd grade. I remember pre-glasses seeing a picture of Jesus in Sunday School and thinking it was a collie. don't ask. But anyway, I think some of these medical advances have been amazing, and life saving.

I will need a kick in the butt later today. I did not sleep well last night, and knew it was going to be dangerously cold this morning, so set the alarm for later with the plan that I go to the gym after work. Now I have to work a third shift tonight, so I may want to wuss out. Give me a kick.

I will talk later from the office. Have a good day all.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:07 AM   #74  
Choose your hard

Oh poor Jolly! I don't know how you do it working third shift in this bitter cold! Geez bad enough during the day when the sun's out. The wind has really kicked up too. Be careful out there. I'm sure you'll burn about 400 calories just shivering in the car waiting for it to warm up.

Raven I can relate to what you're saying about thinking things through. Been doing alot of that myself and it's been a good thing. So much of what I do wrong is either unconcious (do without thinking) or trying to talk myself out of it. I think I like the being more aware and the thinking part.

I gave in to the inner child tonight and had a grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner. And just 1 fresh baked chocolate chip cookie (love those break apart and cook ones - keeps from eating a whole dozen at once). It was good but I suspect the food and the cold made me sluggish tonight. That plus I had some emergency stuff come up at work at the end of the day and I worked until 7pm tonight. So no exercise. I was a little concerned about if I was getting enough water - been drinking 2 of the one liter bottles a day and I checked and that's 64 oz which is good enough for the winter. I never drink as much in the cold weather as I do when it's hot out. I figure that plus a cup or two of green tea a day is doing me right.

It's Friday already. Got a birthday party for my nephew on Saturday. I'm sure my sister will have tons of tempting food. I want to work more Sunday on getting the basement cleaned up - have to vacumn all the drywall sanding dust so I can rev up the treadmill. I've been doing the WATP tapes but I miss my treadmill and my music is so much better than Leslie Sansone's perkiness.

Hope you all have a good weekend. Let's hear from some of our more quiet groupies out there, ok?
Old 01-23-2004, 08:00 AM   #75  

Good morning all. Man is it cold. I ended up not working third shift last night, as I also had a work emergency come up yesterday evening. Luckily, it came as I was finishing the last couple minutes of my workout. So, I did get to exercise. And, I did eat the healthy meal I had planned when I finally got home.

I wanted to get in quick this mroning, so I did not hit the gym. But, I do have my bag along to go workout after I visit the pony this afternoon.

Good luck with the family food tomorrow, Happy, and getting back down to your treadmill. And yes, lets' hear from everyone else. TRacy, RAven, E, Chachee, Hippee - where are you????
Closed Thread