Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 11:36 AM   #1  
~ Berry Happy ~

Default Discovery Health Body Challenge #1

Well - since the 3fc site crashed, and the newer posts got erased, I thought I'd better start this thread again.

This thread is here so all of us who are participating in the Discovery Health Body Challenge can support, encourage, and motivate each other to do our best!

If you do not know about the Discovery Health Body Challenge, and would like to know more, please just post here on this thread. Or you can click here

Good luck to everyone participating, and please keep us updated on your progress!!!

~ Kari ~
Old 01-07-2004, 01:12 PM   #2  
Gym'll fix it!!

Hi Kari,

Well, i'm still as dissilusioned about the Challenge as ever although the site is getting better and the time out is actually counted down in front of you and goes by pretty fast
When i looked at my meal plan one of the options was this:
OATMEAL TUNA SNACK
1oz Tuna
5 tbsp uncooked Oatmeal
1tsp Canola Oil
3tbsp low fat plain yogurt
1tsp parmesan cheese
Mix Ingredients in a bowl and eat

It may have all the nutrients that i require but it sounds like crap Sorry, but their mealplan is definitely out for me although i will try and follow along with the guidelines
Old 01-07-2004, 01:19 PM   #3  
~ Berry Happy ~

Ewwww.....that sounds gross...lol...oatmeal tuna snack. YUCK.

I agree - most of their meal plans do not sound very appetizing. I have been wanting to try the Chocolate Peanut Butter Bar...but my concern is, when you read the ingrediants, chocolate is not mentioned anywhere! lol

They really have A LOT of work to do on that site...lol. I think I'm still going to try and do the challenge, but I am definatly going to stick to my own plan.

~ Kari ~
Old 01-07-2004, 01:34 PM   #4  
Gym'll fix it!!

There is a Strawberry/Chocolate one too and there is'nt a hint of chocolate within a million miles of it i'm doing my own plan too
Old 01-07-2004, 02:13 PM   #5  

Hey guys! I e-mailed the trainer the other day and still have yet to hear anything. I asked if I could eat what I wanted but in the limits that they suggest. I guess that is a no. I don't have a real meal at all in my plan. I saw a chicken sandwich one day but that was about it. I started to record my food in fitday again. I did it last year and I did really good. I as trying to avoid all of the recording but it worked, so I need to go back to it. I am not really certain what else to follow in the program if I am not going to eat their food. What are you guys planning on doing?
Old 01-07-2004, 02:22 PM   #6  

I e-mailed the trainer about the meal plan, too. I am still waiting for a response, but at this point I bet I'll never get one. The meal plan is useless for me because almost everything planned for me includes meat and I am a vegetarian. I know I can replace things, but that takes away the convenience of having someone plan my meals.
Old 01-07-2004, 02:24 PM   #7  
Gym'll fix it!!

Kempyd, I'm just going to "try" and follow the mealplan ratio but i'm even having trouble with that because i'm more of a "carb" kinda girl I can't even up my protein intake that well and i will follow the exercise recommendations..at least that bit is quite easy

Kari..i just had a peek at your website and its true what they say "Every Picture Tells a Story" there is an incredible difference..well done
Old 01-07-2004, 02:30 PM   #8  
Gym'll fix it!!

illini01, I'm sure i found an option once where you can choose "vegetarian" etc if i find it again i'll let you know how to get there

Kempyd..i don't have ONE proper meal just lots of snacks that are just gross

Last edited by cat90; 01-07-2004 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-07-2004, 04:31 PM   #9  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Kari, thanks for starting the thread back again.

Umm, what if we just do our own version of the challenge? Who wants to be on TV anyway?
Old 01-07-2004, 05:42 PM   #10  
Gym'll fix it!!

I agree Happy

illini01, I must have dreamed up that vegetarian option but i've spent quite a bit of time over there and if you click on the "replace" button from the drop down menu on the breakfast, lunch and dinner, and snack buttons you can choose something that you like, click on it and print it out..has anyone tried the video button? i enjoyed using that you see a little video clip of the food being prepared although i have found a few discrepancies like one recipe called for protein powder but the woman did'nt use any in her recipe and another did'nt call for it and she did that will screw up the percentages won't it? anyway, there are quite a lot of salads in the lunch and dinner drop down menu that i think you will like. Heck, i even found a beef/vegetable soup that i'm gonna use..now why did'nt they ever give me that on my mealplan?

Last edited by cat90; 01-07-2004 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-07-2004, 06:40 PM   #11  

cat90, you aren't imagining that there was a vegetarian option. It was there when I signed up, and that's why I'm annoyed about it not being there anymore. I signed up thinking I'd be able to get a vegetarian meal plan. I've played with the "replace" option but it really is a big pain because it takes extra time (and with the timeouts it already takes forever to do anything on that site). I'm just whining because I wanted someone to plan everything out for me.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:35 PM   #12  
Gym'll fix it!!

illini01, i don't mean go through every meal and replace it if thats what you are doing (not sure if you are) i mean press the replace button and on the page it takes you too you'll see the breakfast, lunch & dinner, and snack buttons..if you click on lunch & dinner drop down menu..then on salads the different types of salads appear and then you can click on the "salad" of your choice to see the recipe..don't put a "dot" next to the meal just highlight the meal and it will open up in another window from there you can watch the video or print the recipe..i've printed off a few ( not many tho' ) i know its a pain with the timeout but the time counts down now and then takes you right back to where you left off its a bit of work but if you want the nutritional values done for you then its worth it and it did'nt take me that long really
Old 01-07-2004, 09:01 PM   #13  

Height: 5'1"

Hello girls--(boys?)

I'm so into doing our "own version" of this challenge. IMO... I think is just a "quick" fix to lose some weight. Not necessarily a lifestyle change. No one... ok...at least not me..can live on their meal plan.

I think we'd end up being too hungry all the time and that just has Mr. Binge peaking around the corner!

I don't want to sound like I'm totally dissing the challenge... because I think that the workout plans are good and the suggestions for the amounts your body needs to lose weight is good also. (but only the one they suggest at the beginning,, not the every day count... those change!! and it's not enough) I just don't want to see myself losing weight then to gain it all back and more after it's all finished.
I will stick with the ratio they gave me.. it's around 1200 calories.. but once I start working out more.. I will have to up that number. Everyones body needs more when you're burning more.

(does that make sense?)

Maybe some questions we should ask the trainer are....what's up with all this oatmeal? And exactly where did that chocolate go that belongs to the chocolate peanut butter bars? Think I'd get a response to that??

Ok... I best stop complaining... that's not going to help me lose weight and get healthy...

I will talk to you all later.

Marti
Old 01-07-2004, 09:32 PM   #14  
~ Berry Happy ~

Today has been such a bad day for me. At this point, I don't even feel like eating....(a good thing I suppose.)

I won't post the story here, but I posted what happened, and pictures at my website. If you feel like reading about it - just click here

~ Kari ~
Old 01-08-2004, 12:02 AM   #15  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Default My personal 2004 Challenge

Listening to what you guys have encountered so far, I think I'm going to take a pass on the Discovery Challenge. But I still need the motivation of a challenge. I gave some thought to the things I'd like to improve for the next 4 months.

1) Lose weight obviously. My food choices aren't too bad and I have gotten away from refined and processed food for the most part. My problem is portion control. Even too much of a healthy food is too many calories. So keeping to portion control will be one of my "challenges" along with a regular balance of fruit and vegetables.

2) Exercise. I got away from it while I was having a heavy duty semester at school. I have some problems with my feet and if I don't stretch the muscles, they act up. So regular exercise is a priority.

3) Finally water. Good for the diet, good for health. Not a problem in the summer when it's warm, but I don't always do as well in the winter. Another focus point for me.

I started on Monday. Each day I pick an item to pay particular attention to. This I hope will help to keep me from starting out gung ho and then losing my resolve within a month. (Another problem of mine).

So far this week, so good. I've managed to get 2 liters of water each day, have been mindful of my food and several times a day turned down what might have been just mindful but harmful slips. As for exercise, it's my weakest point right now but I just went and did it - Walk Away the Pounds one day, Pilates another, weights another.

I'm hoping to use this challenge to form regular habits again and see a better me in April.
Closed Thread