Old 12-29-2017, 04:22 PM   #16  

Good Afternoon! We have 2 1/2 - 3” of new snow. The noon weatherman said we will be lucky if we see a high of 0 over the long weekend. We had planned to go to Ian’s game this afternoon, and started out but it was snowing so hard we couldn’t see very far ahead. The plows hadn’t been out so we turned around and came home. Part of the route is on a two lane highway which is being turned into four lanes, and then interstate; stupid people drive too fast regardless of the weather. They close the interstate without any warning and then we’d really be stuck. I ordered greeting cards for the gift shop this morning and then spent a long time trying to find a mistake in our checking account. I still haven’t found it and that makes me frazzled!

“Gma,” frosted sugar cookies are my absolute favorite! Over the years I have tasted so many with great anticipation only to have them taste like flour. I don’t make them but read a hint about using powdered sugar to roll them out, rather than flour. I can almost taste your toffee. I used to make caramels and remember stirring it for what seemed like forever. The gum drop bread doesn’t have yeast in it; it reminds me of making banana or pumpkin bread. I still have my sore arm just below the shoulder. It hurts when I reach up, and Bob’s remedy is, “well, don’t reach up!” No sympathy here!

I didn’t vacuum yesterday so should get in gear and do it today. The snow has quit so we most likely could have gone to the game. Hope you all enjoy the rest of the day!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:05 PM   #17  

Good afternoon. No rain or snow but it’s cold for us here. We are in the 30’s. I had a hair appt this morning and was cold the whole time. You sit with color on your hair and it gets cold so when she goes to rub it through and rinse it out you are cold all over again.

We’re going to go get spaghetti tonight but right now Jack is watching the Liberty Bowl because Memphis is playing.

We got a call last night from the management guy and in their infinite knowledge they are cutting down our beautiful tree and we have to pay for it. It can be as much as $1500+! They don’t want any trees being able to grow over the new rooves they are putting on. I don’t think we should have to pay for it since we could just trim the tree back, but if we don’t pay for it outright, they’ll send someone and bill us. 😡

Jean: My friend that lives in Bismark has -18 degrees as of 9 AM and South Bend is getting hit with hard snow. Hope you find the checkbook booboo. I thought the bread might be what they call a quick bread. I have to do something about my shoulder and arm because the pain doesn’t go away and if I move quickly the pain is really awful. If the weather keeps up, you’ll be happy to go to Hawaii.

You gals have a great day. I’m off to make a grocery list for tomorrow.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:24 PM   #18  

Good Evening! It is cold, cold, cold in my corner of the world — it’s -8 right now heading down to -18 by morning. Wind chill will be in the -30s. I just hope the furnace keeps running! This is ridiculous! I have spent the day just puttering from one room to the next. I’m seriously thinking about skipping church tomorrow. I’m supposed to pick up the money but since it is all older people who attend and I’m sure they won’t venture out with it so cold.

“Gma,” Bob watched the same game this afternoon! He commented it must be cold there because people were bundled up in winter jackets. ISU always seems to be the underdog while most are Iowa Hawkeye fans. I root for ISU! I spent a long time going back through bank statements and couldn’t find my mistake. The bank says there is more than I say we have so that part is good. It is an odd amount and usually if I am off one month it comes out ok the next month. Weird! Hope the commissary trip goes smoothly.

Bob is hinting “what’s for supper?” So guess I should get a move on. Hope you are toasty warm tonight!
Old 12-31-2017, 05:33 PM   #19  

Good Afternoon! Another year is almost ready for the history book. We warmed up to -9 this afternoon, now heading back down to -20 tonight. The weatherman says we won’t be above 0 until Tuesday afternoon. At least we have had sunshine all day although the wind did kick in this afternoon. I’ve been sorting through recipes looking for a lost one and still haven’t found it. I have a whole bunch I have never made but they are in other peoples’ handwriting; memories from 40 years ago when we started a young mothers group at church. We met one evening a month for a salad/dessert potluck and would share recipes with each other. Most all have moved away but I remember them well! This afternoon I made the traditional party mix that I didn’t get done before Christmas. Will freeze some for the kids and take to them when it warms up. I think we will put the Christmas tree and few decorations away tomorrow. I am ready for a “normal” routine again!

If you are celebrating the new year tonight, have fun! We will be home where it is toasty warm! Bob will be fast asleep in the recliner and me in my chair.
Old 01-02-2018, 07:28 AM   #20  

Good morning to you all. It’s a cold 16 here, which is really low for this time of year. I am staying in today and hopefully can get some housework done. We just sat around for the most part yesterday. I made ribs in the crockpot and finished them off with bbq sauce in the oven and had a baked potato. We went to bed early and Jack finished watching the Rose Bowl then shut off the lights.

I am wondering how long it will be before they cut the tree down and hope they don’t destroy anything doing it. It won’t be easy to get it out of the yard for sure. It butts up against the garage and the yard/deck is pretty small. Enough for a patio table and chairs and the bbq grill and trash can and that’s about it. He said something about hiring a crane. I can just see $$$$ that we shouldn’t have to pay for.

Jean: Jack says ISU is the red neck relation in Iowa. When the Rose Bowl started it was 70 degrees in Pasadena. I could sure stand that right about now. I’m like you ready for normalcy again. The tv went from trying to get you to buy Christmas gifts to weight loss stuff now. I don’t balance to the penny. I tend to round things up putting them in the checkbook so I am always off but to the black so I don’t worry about it.

I better get a move on this morning. Have a good day today.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:51 PM   #21  

Good Afternoon! We have lost our sunshine but it warmed up to 10 degrees this afternoon! The low for tonight is supposed to be 0; it will be interesting to see if the weatherman is right. All I have accomplished today is to count money! There were some big end-of-the-year church checks but not many in numbers so counting didn’t take long. AND we balanced with the bank! Just when I got started posting we had to evacuate the building because of a gas leak. I went to the bank and WM; by the time I got back they had found two leaks. One leak was in a furnace and the other in the boiler. I finished my posting then picked up the hospital money. By then it was lunch time so took time for that. I’ll make the deposit tomorrow. Now have to put the computer and paperwork away for another week. I should do some much needed dusting and vacuuming but thinking tomorrow might be better. I am sleepy for some reason and the recliner is looking pretty inviting.

“Gma,” I wish we could see more of the bands that perform at half time. We could still hear the goofballs rehashing the game over the music. Even Bob said he wished he knew who he could contact about that. I’ve heard others say the same thing. I enjoyed watching the Rose parade. The floats are amazing! I have a friend who went out and worked on the Lutheran float a few years ago. It was quite an experience. The bands are so good and we probably didn’t see all of them. Last year our Iowa Dutch band went and marched in their wooden shoes. They practiced a lot beforehand to accomplish that fete!

I need to keep moving or I will fall asleep! Have a good rest of the day!
Old 01-03-2018, 12:28 PM   #22  

Good Morning! The sun is shining and it has warmed up to 7 degrees! I don’t know why but my right arm has started to hurt just below the shoulder. I must have slept on it wrong because it ached this morning. I take ibuprofen after breakfast and then again at bedtime. I hate going to the doctor so have been putting it off. I keep hoping it will just go away! This morning I washed a load of jeans; Bob bought a new brand right before Christmas and they are so heavy! Just got back from making the gift shop deposit and a stop at Walgreens for a prescription. I have church cards to address and should start rounding up clothes for Maui. I’m supposed to host crafty club this month; need to dust/wash the curio cabinet contents and fix a dessert of some sort. Seems like there is always something on my “to do” list.

The dishwasher is done so I need to unload it and clear off the counter. It won’t be long until it’s lunch time. Some days I feel like all I get done is cook and clean up after we eat. Hope you enjoy a wonderful Wednesday!
Old 01-04-2018, 06:38 PM   #23  

We had a crazy day today. The tree people arrived at 8 AM and started in. They didn’t finish until 4 pm and unknown to me, they cut down my beautiful holly bush too. I am very mad about that. The bush grows straight up and would not impact the roof ever. They did clean up after themselves. Now we’ll see how much it’s gonna cost us.

Jack took the day off as he wasn’t sure if they’d need him to move stuff and such.

I’m going tomorrow to get my nails done and pick up a couple things at WM. I still need to finish the upstairs and clean downstairs. Jack and I am going to clean up the backyard on Saturday as long as it’s not horribly cold.

I sure hope Susan is ok. She is supposed to get some major snow.

Jean: I miss the halftime too. I have no interest in those idiots spouting off about what their opinions of the game is. Glad you got balanced. Do you have all your clothes ready for next month? Do you wear sandals or sneakers on vacation since you go on the boat so much?

Everyone have a good night.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:00 AM   #24  

Good Morning! It’s 3 degrees and the sun is shining with a breeze blowing. The weatherman said the high will be 12 this afternoon. We’ll see! I have been out and about already this morning. My car had an 8:00 appointment for an oil change, tire rotation, anchor down the leather seat covers again, and program it so the heater and seat warmers come on with the remote start. To us, there is no point to remote start if the inside isn’t warm when we get in. The guy Bob gave his list to didn’t think that was possible. If GM could do it I don’t know why Ford can’t. My Buick was so toasty when we used the remote start or cooling down in the summer.

“Gma,” do you suppose the tree guys were too dumb to know the difference between the tree and holly bush? I would be mad too! I assume you are getting a new roof. Does the management company pay for that or is that for you to pay? When we rented the condo, anything on the outside was paid by the management, any repairs on the inside belonged to the owner. I haven’t even thought about clothes for Maui. I sorted out capris last fall, hope they still fit! I wear sandals while we are there. I need to have Bob get the dreadmill out so I can do some serious walking before we go. That thing is pure punishment! The couple we go with have been in Florida since the first of December. I don’t know about him but she walks every day.

Guess I will put a load of clothes in the washer and get the vacuum out. Hope you enjoy a fantastic Friday!
Old 01-05-2018, 11:39 AM   #25  
Short & Sassy

Hi ladies & Happy New Year! I logged in yesterday & typed a post but then it told me I wasn't logged in! So I said the heck with it! Been a little under the weather which is why I haven't been here. Feeling much better now.

Jean: How's your arm? Bob's solution (don't raise your arm) sounds exactly like what Bill would say! I'm happy to get back to normal here too.

GMA: Did you go to Rafferty's on New Year's Eve? Like I said before, we love that place. How did your hair stylist like her goody box? I see you've been having cold weather too. I'm just happy we're not getting all that snow. I'm ready for spring!

Well ladies, hubby's ready to run errands. Have a great day.
Midget2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 02:02 PM   #26  

These bozos came into my yard while I was gone getting my nails done and cut down ALL my azaleas!!!! My whole back yard is bare now. I had white rocks around my azaleas and even they are gone. I am beyond mad. How dare they take out anything but the tree!

Like I said, I went out this morning but not before I had multiple colon bouts then got caught in a 5 car horrible accident in a residential area thay tired up traffic because they couldn’t reroute traffic where it was located. Came home and couldn’t get my garage door to go up and then see my stripped down yard. Man what a day.

Sandy: Yep, it’s cold here but at least it’s dry. We did go to Rafferty’s for New Year’s eve but early. Connie passed her goody box around to the other stylists. I couldn’t very well tell her not to, but it was for her and her husband and son.

Jean: Our roof is paid by the management. What is their responsibility and ours can be muddled sometimes. They’re responsible for the outside of building but if a wndow breaks you have to pay. We have to pay for garage door opener and anything in our little yard area but they do mowing etc on property. That’s why I am livid about my azaleas.

Well I better go. Have a good day.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:16 PM   #27  

Good Afternoon! We’ve had sunshine off and on all day, and it has warmed up to 12 degrees! I’m excited that the sun is setting a minute later again today! The “weekenders” across the street are here in mass this afternoon. Some dumb a** parked in front of our mailbox and the mailman doesn’t have to deliver if he can’t drive up to the box. Lucky for them Bob was out taking down Christmas lights when he came so walked out to get the mail from him. I want to leave a note on the car telling them to park on their own side of the street! I might just do that - seven vehicles is a bit many when they could park four in their driveway! I think they are ice fishing as there are lots of houses scattered around the lake. Today I’ve been finishing several little projects that I’ve let go for too long. Long story, but after many hours spent going back over figures from the hospital accountant I figured out she had one payroll deduction sheet mixed in with another two week pay period where it didn’t belong. I originally thought she had overpaid me, and she got testy when I asked, but several weeks later we were even again. I was ready to haul my books in to her office and sit down for a chat! We have a concert program tonight; it’s a group singing Beatles era music so should be good. Bob ushers at church this month and I was told the wives are expected to be greeters. We greeted the week after we served coffee so don’t know where this is coming from. This is cold and flu season so I don’t like shaking hands!

Sandy, Happy New Year to you too! Sorry you haven’t felt well but glad to know you are feeling better. I can tell if I move my arm a certain way that it is tender. I know I think twice about lifting anything very heavy. I’ve been taking ibuprofen sparingly and that helps.

“Gma,” I would be mad about your azaleas too! Deduct the cost of buying and planting new ones plus a holly bush from their bill. I’d add on a labor charge too! Can you plant flowers this time of year or is it too cold? Yesterday definitely wasn’t your day!

I better keep going; need to iron church clothes for tomorrow and decide what I’m wearing tonight. A lot of people wear jeans but we never have. Tonight we might do the same because we will be traveling back country roads where there isn’t much traffic if we would have car trouble. It’s supposed to be 0 again tonight. Our heat bill is going to look like the national debt! Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 01-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #28  

Good morning to you all. It is raining a fair bit here this morning but the temps aren't below freezing so it is just rain. It is chilly in the house, but we try and keep the furnace at 65 because the upstairs gets too hot when we go to bed. If it is bitter cold I turn it up during the day and then an hour our so before bed we turn it back down. I cannot afford $300-400 utility bills and they are raising all three rates this year, water, electric, and gas. We don't have gas, but will get the other two. We also got a direct tv bill raise.

We didn't do much yesterday. I have itching on my abdomen that has been driving me crazy. I have to talk to the doctor about it and my shoulder when I go in. I haven't made an appointment yet, but I need to get on that. I don't know whether Tricare will pay it or consider it out of network as my dr practice are no longer in the list on the website. I am going to go and hope for the best. Since I go on Medicare in September, I am just going to drag out the next apt until then.

I hope to tackle at least part of the downstairs today. It needs a good cleaning. I hate to try and clean when Jack is at home. He is taking off most of Friday as he had to go in to the plant and work yesterday so he is just going to take comp time instead of overtime pay. He has Monday off so that will give him a nice long weekend. I want to go and get the river rocks to put down where they cut down everything as the dirt will get everywhere if it is windy and dry.

Jean: Jack called the manager and he got all p***y with him about how he has been doing this for 25 years and the tree had to go and we should be thankful we are getting a new roof and on and on. He said he would tell them about the azaleas but I doubt he does. The bill will come from the management company not the tree place so we can't refuse to pay it. If we do, they will sue us and add late fees onto it besides. If I feel the bill is too high, I will make him give me an itemization of the costs and then he and I will have a come to Jesus meeting. Hope you have been keeping warm. I sure could use a nice dose of spring right about now.

You all have a good start to your week. I am going to start getting the house cleaned.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:01 PM   #29  

Happy Monday! It almost felt like spring today, sunny and 40 degrees! Talk about dirty cars from the sloppy streets! Ugh! Church counting went quick this morning, back to our old routine, and we balanced! I was a happy, happy camper! My co-counter is going to be gone at the same time we will be, only for just a week. She will count on Sunday before she leaves, and someone else will have to take it to the bank and maybe post it. I made the gift shop deposit and dropped checks off at the hospital on my way home. After lunch I braved WM and the grocery store. I usually do those in the morning so they were both busy. When I came out of the grocery store a tough looking old gal was ripping into a similar looking man, waving her arms and calling him names. As I walked by them, there was shattered glass from the back side window of their van on the ground. I knew what it was from when Bob’s sun roof blew last summer. They just drove off and left it so when I got to the car I called the store on my cell phone. Before I left one of the guys was coming out the door with a broom. It was mostly in the driving lane; I’d be the one to drive through it and have a flat tire!

“Gma,” I would be cold at your house! Our thermostat has been set at 72/73 during the coldest days last week. Otherwise, if it is a sunny day, we leave it at 70/71 which is where I have it at night. I always dress with long sleeves and layers when we visit the kids because their houses are cold. I remember when my parents used to visit and my dad always asked for a blanket in the evening. Our electric and gas are two separate companies and have sent notices of price increases. We have to pay extra for garbage and that's billed every three months. I don’t know how elderly people can just live on social security these days. From the sounds of it Medicare and private insurance is going to cover less and less. Speaking of which, Beth has been sick for a week now and went back to the doctor today. She now has a sinus infection and bronchitis which he said has been a common follow up to the influenza a. She can’t go back to work until at least Thursday and he recommended not until next Monday. She has felt so lousy that she admitted there was no way she could go to work. I have to get in gear and do some serious cleaning since I am having crafty club here the 18th. My heart isn’t in either one right now! It sounds like your manager could use a course in public relations! The least he could do would be to inform the tree guys and replace your Azaleas!

Bob is at church for singing practice so will most likely be looking for food when he gets home. Not much else newsy from here tonight. Enjoy your evening!

Last edited by Jean; 01-08-2018 at 07:02 PM.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:54 AM   #30  
Short & Sassy

Morning ladies! Sitting here enjoying a cinnamon raisin bagel & coffee while I post. Dreary morning here. Looks like rain. Supposed to be 60 by Thursday & then back to a high of 25 on Friday! You'd freeze in our house Jean. We keep the thermostat on 66 during the day & have it programmed to go down to 58 at night. When it was extremely cold the last couple of weeks, we kept it about 62 at night. Can't sleep if I'm too warm!

GMA: I'm so sorry about your azaleas! I'd be livid too! They should at least pay to replace them. Hope Jack enjoys his long weekend. When I was working, most folks took off the Friday before but I always opted for Tuesday.

Jean: Hope Beth's feeling better. Glad your counting went well. The time to leave for Maui will be here before your know it. I'm jealous!

Need to run the sweeper & clean the downstairs bathroom. You ladies have a wonderful week.
Midget2 is offline   Reply With Quote