Old 08-24-2017, 01:17 PM   #16  

Good Afternoon! The sun was shining earlier but has disappeared now. It was an early morning at our house this morning. Bob left for Canada, to go fishing, at 6. I woke up at 5 for some reason so got up too. I had a lab appointment at 7:30 and then a physical at 9. All my numbers were good, pretty close to ones from six months ago. The best part is at my age, pelvic and breast exams are my option! Best physical I've had ever! I don't know if that is a Medicare thing or not. My doctor always acts like I am the only patient he has for the day and we just visit about Maui vacations, tractors, or whatever comes up. Today, testing for hepatitis was brought up because of when I was born. Since I've donated blood they check for that so no need to test today. I dropped off some checks at the hospital and now home for the day.

"Gma," I think there are gremlins lurking here! I did post yesterday but it has disappeared somewhere. Then when I try to get in here I have to reregister. That's happened multiple times lately. We have gotten shorted or entire wrong orders when going through drive through restaurants. Now we pull into a parking and check before we keep going. It is frustrating! Remember we live in a rural area so the furthest most guys haul to elevators is ten miles or less. Bob said they made a couple rest stops on the tractor trip; just to walk around a bit helps. When Bob drives along side the combine he will say his one shoulder and side of his neck will be sore from the constant turning in one direction. My grandma used to make elderberry jelly. She always said she hoped she never met a bear because they liked elderberries too. My oatmeal cookies are getting dry so guess the birds and squirrels will get the leftovers.

I need to get back to my clothes and stuff sorting! Hope you enjoy a terrific Thursday and do something nice for yourself.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:31 PM   #17  

Good afternoon. It is about 10 degrees cooler today so it is pretty pleasant. I didn't have to have the ac on all day like I have been.

I did get some cleaning done yesterday but flaked out today partially because I found a booboo in my sweater and had to rip out 30 rows then kept goofing it up. I have been working on it since this morning trying to catch back up so it is ready to take on vacation.

I am letting my nails grow out and then will remove them so I can have a new set put on before vacation. I will give my real nails a breather too for about a week. I take them off myself because I am not going to pay for something I can do myself besides having to site for about 30 minutes extra to get them to soften so they can take them off. I do the same thing they do in my own home. I haven't decided what color to do them in though.

Jean: I decided to throw a package of those brickle bits in the cooking dough when I make them. We buy these choc chip toffee cookies once in awhile at the Fresh Market and we really like them, though I get one cookie out of the bunch, but that's ok. Hope he has a successful fishing trip. Do they clean them and everything before they bring them home to you or do you have to do that? I am not sure I would even know what to do with a whole fish! Since I have no female organs I no longer have to have pelvics but I do still get mammograms. Since I go to the doctor 4 times a year now, my physicals seemed to just come over the years time. He does A1C every 4 months, other doctors do them every 6 months, but does the whole blood panel a couple times a year. He listens to my heart and lungs and checks my circulation every time though along with my bp and temp and such.

You gals have a nice rest of the day. Woohoo tomorrow is Friday but Boo it is grocery shopping week. I told Jack since it is the last two weeks before vacation we are having super simple meals for the next couple weeks. I have lost another 5# since the doctor's appointment so am not worried too much about weight gain.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:31 AM   #18  

Good morning to you all. Just a quick peek in as I have a mess to clean up. I don't know how, but my two drawer wooden filing cabinet, dumped a drawer and when it did that it also dumped everything on top of it. Unfortunately, there was an old "stow and go" Tupperware box sitting on it that had buttons from new shirts and such that I just stuck in there and straight pins and needles and such. All over the carpeting. Going to be a mess to try and pick up and make sure I get them all so we don't step on them.

As I said, this weekend is commissary weekend so I have to make a menu and grocery list for the next two weeks. Since I had to rip out so much of the top, I want to get the lattice part done today so it is ready to take on vacation. I need to run an errand outside the house too so several things to do this morning.

Hope you all have a nice weekend. TX is going to get slammed with a hurricane and my nephew and niece in law and their 6 kids live in Houston so they are in the path of the storm. Houston always floods so they are in for a mess I believe.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:32 PM   #19  

Good Afternoon! We've had a strange day for weather; rain drops falling early this morning, sunshine, dark clouds but no rain this afternoon, and now the sun is shining again. It was chilly enough I dug out a pair of jeans when I got dressed this morning. The gift shop and coffee shop were closed today so I was able to pick up the money. I just got home and the phone rang, the "boss" forgot to give me the payroll deduction sheet so back to the hospital I went. Got the bank deposit ready and made another trip into town. I ordered a new set of pots and pans so washed them and sorted out the pans to get rid of. I have a copper bottom double boiler that was my mom's and have never used it. It's also in the SOS box now!

"Gma," I'm sorry about the goof on the sweater you are knitting. I hate having to rip out and redo but it happens. How do you take your nails off? I had the best luck using acetone and tinfoil because that seemed to work faster. I don't miss that part at all. Because the lake is so big, and full of islands, the guys fish with a guide. He fixes their shore lunch of fish, potatoes, and beans, at noon then cleans and freezes the fish they catch in the afternoon. Bob's friend has a smart phone and has put some pictures on FB, but none of fish yet. When we were dating, we went to a fancy restaurant and I ordered fish. It came with the head and tail still on it. Bob said I looked a little green around the edges so asked the waiter to cut them off. I don't remember if I ate it or not. I hope you found all the dropped pins! I have unknowingly dropped them when working on a project and Bob finds them by stepping on them. "Harvey"updates have been on our tv off and on this afternoon. Hope your family stays safe!

I need to put my gift shop books away and think about something for supper. I don't like cooking period, but cooking for one is not fun! Enjoy the evening!
Old 08-27-2017, 07:42 AM   #20  

Good morning everybody. I can tell we're winding down towards fall as it is past 6 AM and still dark out. Jack leaves for work during the week at 6 and during summer months it's still light when he leaves. Most kids are in school now too.
Can't believe Thomas is a senior and will be heading off to college next year. Haven't seen him since Christmas and miss him terribly but she's got to live with what she's done. Haven't seen Jackson in two years!

I am mailing out the baby gift today so that will be there before the baby shower. I left her a note in the package. They are having a girl and the blanket and hat are yellow, white, green and blue but I started it all before she knew the sex so wanted something more generic. I ended up just getting one of those little gift cards as regular cards are ridiculous and usually end up in the trash. This way if she wants to keep it easily will go in a baby book.

We have commissary shopping in a few hours. Last one before the cruise. Jack likes mac n cheese but doesn't care for baked variety so I buy him the Kraft boxes with the foil pack of cheese. He proceeds to tell me last night after one of their dry box commercials is on he prefers the dry powdered variety! I told him I prefer that too why has ne never said anything? I like to put tuna in it for me for lunch sometimes. So, guess I'll buy him some of the cheap stuff!

I have all the lattice done now and about 10 rows of the striped but wasted some yarn trying to get the front and back stripes to match up. So far looks like it is close.

We leave two weeks from tomorrow so we are now at hurricane watch for the caribbean and watching my gas buddy app for gas prices. Here in TN they are staying close to $2 a gallon but FL more $2.25 or so. I know our first cruise we pd $4 a gallon so I am certainly not griping! I prepaid all the hotel stays, the parking for the car, anything ship related and have $400 free on board credit. I have a Bank of America credit card for RCCL I got specifically for cruises. You get double points for anything RCCL related, ie cruise, drink package, specialty restaurants etc, and single pts for anything else. So I pay for anything cruise related with it than just put cash back on it to pay it off. For every 5000 pts you get $50 free on board credit. I saved them up. I still have 10,000 pts and will have more after next year's cruise and such is pd for. So pretty much everything but food and gas while traveling is pd for. Next weekend Jack's taking the car to get an oil change and the tires rotated so that will be done.

Jean: Haven't heard a peep from my nephew's family and they live in Houston, which got hit pretty hard with heavy rain. I cannot figure out why I can't see those pictures. Sometimes you can save a picture from FB to your ipad just by clicking on it and when the full size comes up hold your stylis or finger down on it and it comes up "save image." You can then save the image and put it anywhere like an email. I have only had fish filets when I have had fish but I know some types that's the only way they serve it. I am not a fan of any fish or seafood that tastes "fishy" or like the ocean. I don't like gamey taste in meats either. I just stick one hand at a time in acetone and then use a nail file to get under it and pop it off. I longer I let them grow out the easier it seems to take them off.

Everybody have a nice Sunday.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:22 PM   #21  

Good Afternoon! Another strange weather day in my neighborhood today. It was chilly enough this morning that I put on long sleeves and socks with my jeans! All morning was dark and cloudy like it would rain any minute but never did. The sun came out this afternoon and the sliding doors are open. Ernie is on squirrel patrol at the moment. Something woke me up about 1:30 last night and I tossed 'n turned, finally gave up and came downstairs. I was wide awake so played games on the iPad; I finally went back to bed about 4 - hate nights like that! I've done some more sorting and rearranged a couple of cupboards. I'm taking a box of never/rarely used kitchen items to Beth's next Sunday. If she or Amanda want anything they are welcome to them, otherwise they're going to the SOS store. I skipped church this morning; slept later than usual and just didn't feel like explaining why Bob wasn't with me.

"Gma," our schools started last week. They went half days on Thursday and Friday. Then they have next Thursday, Friday, and Monday off! No wonder kids can't remember what they did in class the day before. All four grandkids reported having a good first day of school. Since they all have cell phones we send text messages back and forth. Ian had his first game last Thursday and played most of the game. They won so off to a good start. He has one, actually three, this week, plus one on Labor Day. So far he doesn't know for sure which game he will play in; last game was freshmen team so I hope he stays there. It's too bad Tom doesn't encourage Thomas to keep in touch. Soon he will be on his own and can make his own decisions. I hope he is wise enough to know there are two sides in the mix. Supposedly the fish pictures were saved to my iPad but I sure can't find them. I did find a bunch of pictures that were all of the same thing and I don't know how that happened. Maybe I should print off that part of the online instructions. I know this iPad can do more things than what I know how to do. The best fish, imo, are right out of the lake and into the pan! My favorites are perch and sunfish, both are smaller and we need several for a meal. We caught them in MN at my parents' cabin when the kids were little. Walleyes are the most popular here but some people like catfish and bullheads too. Our resort makes their own potato chips which I rarely order. But I did once and they had been fried in the same oil as their fish. I didn't notice it when I was eating them but burped the fishy taste all afternoon! I was ! Glad the baby gift is on it's way!

I need to unload the dishwasher and clear off the counter. Need to hunt down a box to put things in first. Enjoy the rest of your day. The cruise countdown is really going to go fast now!
Old 08-28-2017, 02:25 PM   #22  

Good afternoon. Guess the hurricane weather has moved east as it is pouring down rain and thundering and lightening here right now. I was sitting here paying some bills and heard a kaboom and looked out and it is coming down cats and dogs. I always hate it when Jack has to drive in this mess as people here are nuts.

I quickly ordered Jack a couple swimsuits and swim shirts for vacation to be delivered tomorrow. The pool at the Florida hotel is spectacular and outside with a lazy river kind of thing and waterfall over rocks. It has a great big pool with a nice deep end too. He forgot he wanted to swim there and I told him he needed extra suits etc so I ordered him two more. He wears swim shirts because he is bothered by people looking at his open heart surgery scar. So, hopefully we are good to go now as we have run out of time to keep ordering stuff.

Jean: My sister's deceased husband's son lives in Houston and they haven't been able to get ahold of him. My husband's cousin is ok and my nephew's family like I said. I have a gal I went to high school that lives in Houston and she posted she is ok. They didn't plan very well for what this storm was going to do. My dad used to fish for perch and they were pretty good. They have something called barramundi on the ship and I think they said it is some kind of snapper and I think it is whole fish. Give me cocktail sauce and tartar sauce and I can eat most of them. lololol I keep seeing oysters on these cooking shows and wondering if I slopped a bunch of cocktail sauce on it would I be willing to eat them? Have you ever eaten them???

I guess I better go. I am making steak tips in gravy over noodles tonight and I need to cut up the stead.
Old 08-28-2017, 07:00 PM   #23  

Good Afternoon! Sitting here watching the storm videos from Texas. I can't imagine the heart breaking destruction! It's been another strange weather day in my corner of the world. There was bright sunshine this morning, dark rolling clouds this afternoon, and now sunshine again. There wasn't much to count at church this morning so it didn't take long. I went for a perm and it seemed to take forever for some reason. She tried a new kind and I just hope I like it after it settles down in a few days. I didn't even try to explain what I wanted because she does it her way anyway. Enough said about that. I stopped at Hardee's and should know better. I was hungry for a hamburger and usually have good luck there. It was about 1:00; bun was dry and meat was luke warm. Yuck! I then ran some errands and headed home. Now I'm waiting for Bob to get home. He called last night and they planned to leave early enough to be at the border by 7 when they open. He thought they would be here around 6.

"Gma," Jack should be proud of his battle scars, but I understand why he would want to wear a shirt. Bob has a thing about wearing sandals because he thinks his feet are ugly. I keep telling him to be thankful he has them! I don't know if Howard Johnson's even exists any more, but when we lived in Ohio several of us gals would have a night out for supper and go there. I got started on fried clams, yum! Red Lobster has them now and I would order them when we would go to see Bob's aunt. Otherwise, I don't usually choose fish when we eat out. There is a bar in a nearby town that has all you can eat fish on Friday night, but you have to go early to get a seat. We've never been there, just hear about it every once in awhile. I put oysters in the same category with mushrooms, slimey! Maybe because we don't live close to the ocean, we don't see a big choice in fish on menus. I hope your Texas relatives are all safe!

It is clouding over again, and looks like it could rain although no rain is in the forecast. Weird weather now makes me wonder what our winter is going to be like. I need to fold towels and think about something easy for supper. Enjoy your evening!
Old 08-29-2017, 09:21 AM   #24  

Good morning! It is beautiful here at the moment, but they are predicting heavy rain from the hurricane in the next couple days.

I got my sandals yesterday and they are terrific. They are comfortable and they look good. They are white so I can wear them with a variety of my dresses and that cuts down on the number of pairs of shoes to take, which will make Jack happy. Jack's stuff will be here today so I can wash it and get it ready to pack soon.

All of our relatives have checked in safely now, but my husband's cousin works for a cotton gin and it has been destroyed and they said it will be 2 weeks before they have power to his home again. Luckily, they have generators so they at least have fridge and freezer and possibly stove to cook

Jean: Hope hubby gets home safe and sound. Jack got soaked walking from the admin building to the suv yesterday and drove home in pouring rain until about 4 miles from home then it stopped completely. Weather is weird. We plan on going to Miami for the day when we are in Florida as I have never been and are going to go to Bubba Gump's for lunch. I hope the food is decent. They have this shrimp macaroni and cheese I want to try. Our seafood here consists of Red Lobster so we are in the same boat as you. People fish the Mississippi, but no way would I eat what comes out of there.

Everyone have a wonderful day today

Last edited by gma22; 08-29-2017 at 10:25 AM.
Old 08-29-2017, 11:13 PM   #25  

Good Evening! It was a nice day today, sunny and no wind. I went for a pedicure first thing this morning. For some reason the shop was busier than usual so decided not to wait and do my nails. The rest of my day was washing fish clothes then just catching up on phone calls, addressing next weeks church birthday cards, clearing out the catalog and magazine clutter, and double checking what football and soccer games will work for us to attend. Zowie has a couple games at 9 am which means we leave here no later than 7:15-7:20 . . . . . too early for this old lady! We are assuming Ian will play in all the freshmen games which may not be the case, and we will have to regroup.

"Gma," Bob said the fishing guide makes sure everyone comes home with their limit of fish no matter how many they catch. I didn't know this but there is a different license for two fish or four, four costing more at $54. We have four. No one has been able to help me with the picture issue. Glad you have heard that all your relatives are safe. Tonight I watched a video on all the animals rescued and being held in crates. On FB a guy on a horse rescued another horse who couldn't get out of his pen. I am in awe of all the standing water and destruction. Where would one even begin to clean up the mess in their homes?! Bob can't understand why flood insurance isn't mandatory by mortgage lenders down there. Several people interviewed said they didn't have insurance.

I am heading to bed shortly! Hope you enjoy a great day tomorrow!

Last edited by Jean; 08-29-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:47 AM   #26  

Good morning to you all. We are battening down the hatches as we are going to get Harvey leftovers today around 11 or so it looks like. Nothing like they had to endure of course, but some pretty strong winds and rain. They have put out flood warnings, but not unusual here as we have some really low areas, one of which is out by the plant. Hopefully, the storm will have moved through by the time Jack has to head for home. They drive like such nuts here.

Going to be a quiet day here today. I still haven't sat and soaked off my nails and I need to do that. I have to get out over the weekend and get a package of brickle for my cookies as I am going to make them next week and box them up for the trip. I may freeze them I haven't decided yet.

Jean: I have always thought it foolish in coastal areas or places here that flood not to pay the extra for flood insurance. I would have it if I live where there was hurricane action. I think it foolish otherwise. These people will have to throw out everything they own almost, will have dirty water and tons of mud on everything and have to try and sanitize what they do save. The water will warp wood, etc and it is going to be a mess for sure, taking years to clean up. My niece-in-law said they are continuing to get rain down there too. Wow, that's about $12 a fish for one fishing trip! I think it is sad and sick the people down in the hurricane area that are trying to cause trouble using politics. I read an article that one of the liberal groups headed by a known terrorist has started a Harvey relief fund but the money is being funneled back into their "cause." I couldn't do much from here, but I did make a donation to Samaritan's Purse, which is Franklin Graham's group who is there and last night a guy I went to high school with has a friend there in Indiana who was getting together donations to take down and he had so much stuff donated it wouldn't go in his pickup and needed a rental truck but couldn't afford it. I gave him a donation to get a truck to rent. You just do what you can. The one thing that angers me though is that the stupid mayor in Houston didn't evacuate people ahead of time.

You all have a nice day. Heading towards the holiday weekend. We have lots going on this weekend to get ready for our trip in a little over a week.
Old 09-01-2017, 11:05 AM   #27  

Good morning to you all. It is overcast but not raining and it seems the dregs from the hurricane have moved through. I guess they had to shut the ER for the Med downtown as the ceiling fell in or some such. The med has a gunshot trauma center so I am sure for this town it is going to hurt.

I noticed they are changing the Navy's work uniforms again. Boy they just will not leave well enough alone. They have taken the special look of the Navy completely away pretty much now as they are requiring work uniforms to be the fatigues like everyone one else wears. There is a seriously bunch of nitwits running the show now.

Gonna be a quiet day today. I am going to work on the sweater and have decided to make a pair of socks with what is leftover of the baby yarn and I'll give those to my girlfriend for her birthday as well. I am making anklet style so she can either wear them in tennis shoes or just around the house like slipper socks. Jack says it is going to be quiet out at the plant today too. The guy they flew in to work on some big $$$$$$$$$ system they put in didn't fix the problem and had to fly home so nothing was gained by him being there three days except he took Jack to lunch one day! Jack is the senior tech so will be responsible for the new computers coming in that will be attached for readings to whatever this stuff is.

I have been looking at my lists this morning and will start in on them in the morning. We are packing this weekend so Jack can see how things fit in the car and make the hotel bag easy to get to so we don't have to drag all the luggage into the hotels every day. We shall see how it goes since the scooter is in the trunk and takes up a lot of room, but the MKS has a really deep trunk and so between it and the back seat everything should fit. We are taking three extra large duffle bags like this, a medium one of the duffle bags, a hanging suit bag and a carryon tote that I am going to put in between my legs on the scooter. Jack has a hard sided backpack too which he will take the electronics in. Gonna be fun! lol

Everyone have a good weekend!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg extralarge.jpg (17.3 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-01-2017, 07:14 PM   #28  

Good Afternoon! It is getting dark like it might rain. This morning was my once a month coffee date so I was gone most of the morning. This afternoon I've done some laundry and went to the gift shop to pick up the money. I forgot the bank would be closed tomorrow morning so will have to wait until Tuesday to deposit it. We are counting church money on Monday as usual because the other gal has a part-time job and will be in charge of opening that office on Tuesday.

"Gma," I thought I posted yesterday but guess I just read. We went to Ian's game yesterday, and left right after lunch. He had a good game but they lost in the last few minutes. The games start at 4:30 this year which is nice; they play 10 minute quarters, longer than last year. It was sunny and 80 degrees but breezy. I am getting donation requests from multiple animal sites that I visit. I just wish I knew for sure anything donated goes where it is supposed to. There are too many dishonest people taking advantage of the situation. Do your clothes wrinkle as much in the duffle bag as in a regular piece of luggage? Bob says my mother must have ironed a lot when she was pregnant because I hate wrinkled clothes. Sometimes I even ask Bob to change clothes before we go somewhere. I'd hate to say how many irons I've gone through. I hope the hurricane leftover blows itself out before it causes damage in your area.

Bob is hinting it is supper time and he is hungry. I'm thinking pb&j would be nice and easy. Guess I will do a leftover search and see what's available. Enjoy the rest of your day!

Last edited by Jean; 09-01-2017 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:22 PM   #29  

Good afternoon and Happy Anniversary to Jean and Bob!!! Hope you have a wonderful 50th!!

We went to WM this morning to get snacks and such for the trip instead of waiting until next week. We came home and put stuff away and Jack fooled around loading the car and said everything fit great and then dragged it all back in. I bought a cute "license" plate quite awhile ago that has a big pair of flip flops and a smaller pair side by side with the boys names under them and it says "Nonny's boys." So, I put it on my scooter basket this morning. Jack then said something about did I know we can watch youtube on our tv. We have a smart tv so it has wifi. So, Jack went and got us a burger and we watched a video of the ship, which was fun. Now we're watching the Cubs game.

Jean: We're having roast beef hash and biscuits for dinner. Did you do anything special for this anniversary?? www.charitynavigator.org is free and it gives you breakdowns on how of each dollar goes where, ie every dollar given to St Judes 81 cents goes to research or patient care. So you could get an idea. Tomorrow I'm washing sheets, doing a bit of cleaning and pounding Heath bars since neither the commissary or WM has the brickle bits. Guess I'll make my own. Tuesday I am making the cookie dough as it has to chill then make cookies on Wednesday. Jack has to take the hold card in on Tuesday to stop the mail on Monday so I have several days to call them if they deliver. I always have to call.

Everyone have a nice Sunday afternoon!
Old 09-03-2017, 05:40 PM   #30  

Good Afternoon! It has warmed up a lot today, 84 as I'm typing. It has been a memorable day for us! Since this is our anniversary, we decided to go back to the church we were married in in Sioux City. The kids and grandkids were planning to go with us; we were going to a fancy restaurant for brunch then to Beth's to celebrate Jason's birthday today, and Maddy's birthday a couple weeks ago. Beth came down with strep throat so wasn't able to be with us. The church service was just awesome! Everyone was so friendly and greeted us when we went in. Part way through the service the pastor announced that he had a special recognition to share with the congregation, mentioned our names and that we were married in the church exactly 50 years ago today. He asked Bob to come down in front, then Jason and I were to go to the back and walk down the aisle while the organist played the wedding march. They had our wedding picture projected up in front; the minister had the same book used 50 years ago and read part of the vows. Everyone clapped as we walked back down the aisle. The pastor was so personable and the service itself made one glad to be there, quite unlike our own pastor here. We took some pictures afterwards so hope they turn out. We visited with several people afterwards. We ended up doing a quick birthday celebration in the parking lot after we ate. Will said Beth wasn't feeling any better this morning and he thought she might go back to urgent care. They put her on a high powered antibiotic, augmentin, but it landed me in the ER when I took it so I hope it works for her. We stopped at Best Buy to get an iPad cover, then Scheels for stadium seats, then home. If it wouldn't have been Sunday we would have gone to SAMs Club but the parking lot was full when we drove by.

"Gma," thank you for the anniversary wishes both here and on FB. It doesn't seem possible that fifty years have flown by. I'm glad everything for the cruise fits in your trunk. There was just a chart on FB showing what some of the CEOs are paid. We get mail just about every day asking for money. If they call on the phone I just say we give locally. I try not to answer but sometimes I am by the phone without caller id so take a chance when I answer. I hope the post office gets your mail hold straight this time! I'm sure you are getting excited to be on your way!

I have a load of laundry to get in the dryer. We are counting church money in the morning. I don't expect there will be much so it won't take long. Enjoy the rest of your day!