Old 07-09-2017, 10:59 PM   #16  

Good Evening! Another hot humid day in my corner of the world. We went to church, mainly because of the reception for the new pastor and his wife. He runs a totally different service in that he has the lay person lead the whole service except for the sermon, offering, and final prayer. The previous pastor only had a lay person read the gospel verses. No one picked up the Saturday night offering; it was still on the alter table this morning. It will be interesting to see if we have the second service money locked up when we get there in the morning. They are asking for volunteers to take on several "duties" around the church, all of which the pastor and his wife did behind the scene which no one knew about. We drove two hours to Horse Camp late this afternoon, for a 45 minute program. We sit in a big arena with a dirt floor to watch the girls ride around the ring on their horses, then a short program of songs and a prayer. The hodgepodge of folding chairs are gritty dirty from the dust the horses kick up and it's impossible to walk in sandals without getting dirt in them. I feel grungy and will head for a shower shortly. We felt we had to go because we've gone to so many of Ian's games this summer and missed quite a few of Zowie's soccer games this spring. We go back tomorrow night for a baseball game, tournaments start tomorrow night; if Ian's team wins the first game, they will play another game right afterwards. We won't stay for the second game, at least I don't think so.

"Gma," I have evidently been playing Shanghai but labeled Mahjong, on my iPad. When I went to the game night last year, expecting to play and found it was a totally different game. I hope you get your packages! How frustrating! That is the main reason I don't order meds through the mail.

Susan, I'm so glad to hear you are doing no so well with your new knee! You are lucky with the lack of fireworks! I hope our city council will ban them, but I am not going to hold my breath. Somehow I just don't think they are appropriate for Christmas.

I am heading to the shower! Have a marvelous Monday tomorrow!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:39 AM   #17  

Good morning ladies. Another real hot one here today. Looks sunny but I am just seeing through the slit in the blinds so I don't know for sure.

Jack fixed ribs yesterday and they were pretty good. He said he needs to use less charcoal though as the temperature was still to hot for smoking them. The outside was a little dry but next to the bone the meat was wonderful. It is a special treat and not something we do very often. It is pretty labor intensive for one thing and ribs aren't exactly weight loss friendly.

I am hoping a bunch of my packages show up today. I don't know if he is still going to go to the post office or not, but Jack is fed up with it and wants to get to the bottom of why it says out for delivery and they don't deliver then it changes to they didn't have access, which is bologna. I need to check with him so I don't have supper done and waiting and he is late.

Susan: That's wonderful that you are up and around now so very well. I can sympathize with being scared having to gain weight. Thanks for the links. I will have to check them out. Each condo has a mailbox on the garage and packages are to be brought onto the deck or at least put behind the gate. UPS and FedEx have no issues, but the mailmen seem to not give a hoot. I will have to check out Ebay for that globe. It is such an odd shape that I don't know if we could even find one.

Jean: Ick, I wouldn't like being all dusty and such either, but we have to do for our grandkids. It will be interesting how the volunteer thing goes. We always found a few people did everything instead of a lot of people doing one or two things and spread it around. Yes, the Mahjong on the Ipad is Shanghai.

Everybody have a good week this week.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 07:24 AM   #18  

Good morning! Very hot for the next two weeks it looks like. I don't have any plans until the weekend then next Friday is my haircut so I am going to stay inside.

Finally got those packages again. Jack called yesterday and ask me if I really thought it would do any good to go in and gripe. I told him honestly, no. They will give you lip service but continue to do the same thing so it doesn't make sense to get all mad when nothing changes.

I am to the point now where I have lots of lists for the cruise. I am always afraid of leaving something behind that we might need. We never have, thus the lists.

Looks like my sister is going to be in the hospital awhile. They canceled the swallow test because they think she has a bacterial infection. She has sort of been quarantined until they find out so no visitors at all. I am sure she is not happy about that. On top of that, they aren't letting her eat for some reason so my niece says she is pretty grumpy. I am going to call her again today and see how she feels.

Everyone have a great Tuesday. Back to working on my great great niece's baby blanket.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:45 PM   #19  

Good Afternoon! We had clouds this morning, with about a dozen raindrops. We need rain! I told Bob to wash windows, as that seems to bring on the rain. The sun is shining brightly now and it is so humid. There is a heat advisory for our area this afternoon. We were going to take the boat out for a farewell ride since it is going to a new home tomorrow. Maybe if it cools down later we can go. We went to a baseball game and a half last night. It was hot and no breeze with the two games back to back; our kids were hot and tired after winning the first game, then going right into the second game they got slaughtered big time. It was after midnight when we got home. I would like to get a hold of the MAN who set up the tournament schedule. There is a game tonight (we are not going), they have Wed. off -- whoopee, two games on Friday, and then on to state if they win enough total games to qualify. Two games a night is one game too many! We are going to Minneapolis on Thursday to pick up the bells. I am getting road weary!

"Gma," glad your packages have been delivered! I don't think you are a bit excited about the upcoming cruise, are you? I've been known to make lists and then lose them so have to start all over. Bob always says if we forget something we'll just have to buy it. I did read a hint about flying which you won't be doing, but thought it a good one. We take his 'n her luggage and it was suggested that "she pack an outfit in his and he in her's." That way one has at least one clean outfit in case a piece of luggage gets lost, or misplaced, along the way. We have been very lucky with our luggage except when we flew to CA and our one piece of luggage went to NY. I feel sorry for your sister; no visitors on top of not feeling good would be hard. I asked the church secretary if she thought the new pastor might quit midyear. There is an SPRC meeting Thursday night and Bob wants to go if we are back in time. That is the committee that interviewed this guy and now needs to tell him what's on his "to do" list that he had a full time staff doing for him before. I'm sure they didn't have a clue what the previous pastor, and his wife, did above and beyond the Sunday sermon. This guy doesn't do nursing home visits, didn't want any church keys except to the front door, his office, and the parsonage, and wants nothing to do with money in any way, shape, or form. It could get interesting.

I have a load of laundry in the washer that should be finished, and then on to the next load. They seem to pile up faster in the summertime for some reason. Enjoy the rest of a terrific Tuesday!
Old 07-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #20  

Good morning to you all. Hot, hot, hot here today. I always hope I can leave the ac off for a few hours, but never gets to that point. By 10 it is back on full force or the house is too hot. I have a high school acquaintance that said her ac at her work has been off 2 days! It is in the 90's there too.

I should get my hot pot today. I hope I like it and use it enough. I think Jack thinks I won't use it enough. We shall see. I see it as a substituted for a slow cooker as it will do the same thing only faster so will use it when I want to get something done quickly instead of all day.

Jean: Wow never heard of a pastor that doesn't do nursing home visits of his congregation. I think our pastor spent about half his time doing things like that. He didn't involve himself in the money end of it, but that didn't mean he didn't know what was going on as he met with the deacons and elders and they discussed finances. You do wonder if he expects to just sit in his office and then do the sermon and that's it. Being a pastor involves more than that and if you aren't prepared for that you shouldn't be in the ministry IMO. Hope you got your farewell boat ride.

Everyone have a great mid week.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:09 PM   #21  

Good Afternoon! The sky is getting dark, hoping for some much needed rain! I had an eye appointment this morning, and after just being there in March, I was in hopes for a prescription change but the doctor didn't think it was necessary. He suggested that in March and I opted to wait until now to see if it changed any more. I have beginning cataracts but not bad enough for treatment yet. He is retiring in October so I may go see the new guy for a second opinion then, I'm tired of blurry distance vision! Today was lunch bunch and after that I picked up the check to pay to get the church bells out of hock tomorrow. The checks have to have two signatures and it only had one, so to save myself another trip to town, I took the check to the gal at her work, for a second signature. Now I have no ambition to do anything around the house. Bob is at a meeting so should be home soon.

"Gma," when you say hot pot, I think of the little single serve pot I had at college. I could heat water in it and that was it. For fast cooking I think of a pressure cooker; Bob's mom used one a lot but my mom did not so I never have either. I will be interested in how you like it. The new pastor is coming from a church with an associate pastor, secretary, music chairman, education director, and custodian; all were full time paid positions. Everyone in our church is part time or volunteer. I'm thinking maybe his associate did the nursing home visits, and we don't even have an associate any more. Our last guy was so PR oriented and the nursing home residents loved having him visit. He was well known around town and well liked.

I really should think about something for supper. Since I ate lunch late, nothing sounds good right now. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 07-13-2017, 07:29 AM   #22  

Good morning to you all. Another hot day here today.

I am kind of down this morning. My niece called me at 8 PM last night because she needed to talk to me about my older sister. Please keep her in your prayers. She is not doing well at all. She went into the hospital last Wed night because she had fluid in her leg. They took 40 lbs of fluid out of her body. She had pneumonia on top of that but they didn't find any bacteria, which is good. The bad thing though is she has what they called fluid on her lungs, but what Heidi described as pus like sacs in her lungs they can't get rid of. They had tried all kinds of antibiotics and nothing is making any difference. On top of that, she started at 3 ml of oxygen and over the last few short days is up to 50 ml! They cannot do any invasive procedure on her like a biopsy, which would tell them exactly what this is, but she would never live through the procedure they say. She has a do not resuscitate order so even though she is headed towards a ventilator if she does not improve, they would not put it on her, which means she would die. She had diabetes, congestive heart disease, kidney disease too. I just lost my brother in March and this is weighing very heavily on me. Her daughter and sil have decided not to tell her what this doctor said. She told me last night you would never know she was so ill. She was very talkative, sitting in a chair, acted like she felt fine. I did tell Heidi that high oxygen will make you feel euphoric so that could be part of why she acts like she is fine because to her, she is. I am very, very worried.

I want to tackle the upstairs bathrooms today then the dusting up there tomorrow. It is so hot here that even with fans and the ac on, it showed 81-84 in the house all day long so getting upstairs first thing is what I have to do.

Jean: I am sure then this pastor is in for a surprise. Some people call them hot pots, which I guess is a brand, but they are electric pressure cookers. They are all the rage right now and I hope I like the darn thing. I am surprised your cataracts aren't worse considering you can't seem to get clearer vision. That is what happened with me. No matter what my prescription, nothing made my vision clear. Even with contacts I couldn't see street signs until I was on top of them. I hope you can find out why your vision can't be improved.

Everyone have a good Thursday.

Last edited by gma22; 07-13-2017 at 07:30 AM.
Old 07-13-2017, 08:52 PM   #23  

Good Evening! It has been a long day for us! We wanted to be on the road by 7, but I overslept so it was 7:15 by the time we were ready to go, 504 miles and we are back home again! It was only 65 degrees up there, a big change from down here. I was glad I had a jacket when we went to eat. I noticed they had their ceiling fans going counter clockwise so it was very comfortable. Bob is at a church meeting so I will be anxious to hear about that. Most likely nothing too exciting, as usual, but supposedly they were going to ask the new pastor to take over some extra things he didn't have to do in his last church.

"Gma," I am so sorry about your sister. I hope things turn around for her but the situation sounds very serious. The eye doctor didn't think the cataracts are serious enough to do anything about yet. When I was there in March he said he could change the prescription but it would be such a slight change he didn't think it would help much. I hope I can still read my bell music; I may have to enlarge it on the copier and that would be a pain to say the least. He said I would be able to pass the eye test for my driver's license so time will tell.

Bob just came home. The meeting was at 5:30, not 7 as was on the weekly calendar. Hope you have a fantastic Friday tomorrow!
Old 07-14-2017, 07:13 AM   #24  

Good morning. Been a rough night. Jack got called out to work so we got to bed really, really late but back up at 5 AM. yawn...

Haven't heard again from my niece except yesterday she said they were reducing my sister's oxygen to see if she could tolerate it. She is on massive doses of steroids so I am hoping it does the trick now. What the side effects of that will be, who knows? Tx for the prayers though.

I was going to work upstairs today but that is off the books until Monday. I am about to fall asleep sitting here and my girlfriend is calling at 10 so I can't go back to sleep much at this point.

Jean: That had to have been a very long trip! We rarely drive long distances all at once anymore. For one thing, my feet swell. We ate out last night and just as our food came their ac konked out. It got hot in there and I couldn't eat so I brought mine home and stuck it in the fridge and ate a few crackers with a wedge of laughing cow instead. They had 2 servers for the whole restaurant as management said there wasn't enough business to keep on more. It wasn't very busy but one gal was doing it all and the other gal was running the bar.

Everyone have a great weekend. Shopping weekend for us. We always seem to have to eat!
Old 07-14-2017, 10:10 AM   #25  

Good morning, ladies! We're in for another day in the high 90s with a heat index of 107. It's been that way all week.

I went back to the Y on Wednesday. It was so good to see my friends and get back to chair yoga and the duo step machine. I can't wait to get in the water. When I was at the doc on Tuesday, I asked but I have a tiny scab (about the size of a period) and he said I can't get in until that is healed. Anyway, I'm done with the docs until my yearly knee checkup August 2018. It is good to be able to drive again, too.

Donna, I'll pray for you sister, too. I think you mean instant pot, not hot pot. it is a brand, the one I have. A hot pot is like an electric kettle for heating water, soup, etc. You have to add in the time it takes the pot to get up to pressure and to release to whatever the cooking time is. I used to do pulled pork in the crock pot for 16 hours - 90 minutes cooking time plus another 30. I don't have to do anything put push the button and set the timer. The other thing is you can't cook meat and vegetables at the same time, like a pot roast with potatoes and carrots, or you will have mush for vegetables. I do the beef for 30 minutes then release pressure and add the vegetables and cook 5 minutes more. Anyway, I love it. There is a huge Instant Pot community on Facebook with lots of recipes. They won't be able to help you with the settings on your pot, but all are welcome.

Jean, that was a long day in the car! Fans should be set for clockwise in the winter to push heat down and counterclockwise in the summer to pull heat up. I change them when daylight savings time starts and stops. I have them in every room of my house. Medicare won't pay for cataract surgery until they are a certain level. I'm glad I had mine done. I had blurry vision before the surgery.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:54 PM   #26  

Good morning! It is already hot here. We have black interior in our car and in this weather it sures heats up the inside. Jack starts the car, kicks the AC on max and puts on the cooling seats before he puts the groceries in so it is bearable. We were out to WM and Kroger today then commissary tomorrow. It has been weird at WM the past few weeks. I don't know if it is understaffing or not getting products in but the shelves and freezer sections seem half empty. There is hardly any frozen meals or things like chicken wings, patties, stuff like that. I have never been to WM where they didn't have what I wanted but there were sure gaps today.

Good news for my sister. They changed her meds to heavy duty steroids, reduced her oxygen from 50 ml to 6 to see how she would tolerate it and she is doing well with her oxygen in the 90's. Don't know what long term heavy steroids will do to her especially since she has congestive heart disease and kidney disease besides the diabetes, but for now she is coming around when they originally pretty much gave us no hope.

Susan: I keep doing that! I knew it was instant pot but keep putting hot pot. Sounds like you are getting your life back to normal again. We have been baking here too. It's been close to 100 heat index for days now. Sure hope it's not that hot for the cruise.

Everyone have a good Saturday!!
Old 07-16-2017, 09:44 AM   #27  

Good morning, ladies! Heading for another hot day in the 90s with heat index around 107.

I've been staying cool working on my quilting and reading. I just can't breath in the heat and humidity.

Donna, there was an article in the paper last week that said the interior of a car can heat up 25 degrees in just 8 minutes! That's good news about your sister. Prayers really work. I haven't been to WM in over a month. I need to go and see what swimsuits are on clearance. I usually get 3 to last me though the year.

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:27 PM   #28  

Good Afternoon! It's been another hot day in my neighborhood with no rain in sight, nor cooler temperatures for the next few days. Friday was a ball game in Sioux Falls; the team is going on to state but the games are another two and a half hours north of Sioux Falls. We are not going to drive five hours one way for a ball game. It is a small town and no motels close by. Jason and Amanda are going to camp in their camper. Saturday was another trip to Sioux Falls which I really hadn't planned on. Amanda was having a lipstick party and her mom invited me to ride along with her. Amanda's sister went with us and it's a good thing we went because she only had one other guest. It's a different process and not sure how well I like it. My original iPad, which Bob used, took a "dump" and it is the charger, not the iPad. Verizon had the latest model at half price so he decided to upgrade. He's happily playing solitaire as I'm typing. I have a busy day tomorrow. After counting at church and making the gift shop deposit, I have to get ready for a P.E.O. meeting. I am giving a program on the Little Brown Church (in the vale), serving as co-hostess providing bakery cookies for a gal whose husband is in hospice, giving the corresponding secretary's report, then taking roll and giving the treasurer's report. I'm not sure how I get myself into these situations!

"Gma," I have to get out of the car and walk every couple of hours. I don't know if I sit crooked, or what, but get a pain on one side from my bu** up to my waist. The heated seat feels really good. I just read where one is supposed to roll a car window down when first getting in a hot car. It has something to do with the hot vinyl emits a gas of some sort. I hope your sister continues to improve. The other day there were eleven WM employees restocking one aisle. I asked if they were changing things around again and one guy said no, just restocking. There was no way anyone shopping could get down that aisle. WM is always weird imo.

Susan, I'm sure you were excited to get back to the Y! Hope you can go back to the pool soon. I have two friends encouraging me to get a second opinion on my cataracts. My fear is I won't be able to read my bell music this fall. Their doctor is in Sioux City and I hate the thought of going out of town unless I absolutely have to. Good luck swimsuit shopping.

Hope you enjoy a nice evening and have a marvelous Monday tomorrow!
Old 07-17-2017, 07:16 AM   #29  

Good morning to you all. I never got in here yesterday with shopping and all. We now have the sewer problem again so Jack is going to call the condo management idiot and have him send out a plumber to unplug the line. I don't know why they don't just fix it. It is so nasty to deal with. I actually caught it at midnight last night when I went to the bathroom. The toilet almost overflowed. Jack got up around 1 am and I told him about it and not to flush the toilet when he went to the bathroom. So now, he has to call this morning and try to get that doofus to send someone out and fix it again. I don't know but sooner or later they are going to have to do the expensive repair as the whole line is going to cave in.

I was going to clean bathrooms but not going to happen now so will try and work on the baby blanket this morning. I am behind on knitting for sure.

Susan: Best time to get suits is when they bring the fall clothes in so that is smart. I know you have to want to get into the pool. I really miss not being able to walk across and swim and exercise. They are going to concrete in our pool, which really makes me mad as we pay maintenance fees to have one. They say the insurance is too expensive. No, we have a bunch of bums who don't pay their fees.

Jean: I have to agree about the cataract thing. You have the exact same symptoms I had where no matter what you still couldn't see properly. It sure wouldn't hurt though I know you don't want to have to drive forever to get one. We got through the commissary pretty quickly yesterday and they had everything I wanted but the carton mashed potato. I have some in the freezer though am not without. Sounds like you have a lot to do today. I need to remember to call my sister and see how she is. I am terrible about calling as I hate to use the phone pretty much.

Everyone have a good start to the week.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:41 PM   #30  

Good Evening! Another hot, hot, hot, and humid day today! Counting was good at church this morning. I had the gift shop money ready to deposit so was back home earlier than usual. That gave me time to practice my program presentation for this afternoon. I felt like the one woman show for awhile! I am tired tonight! The couple buying the boat wanted to take it for a ride so waited around for them to come and go. My house looks like a tornado went through and I am behind on laundry so know what I will be doing tomorrow. I really need to make a serious grocery list and go to the store. Not my idea of fun.

"Gma," I'm sorry you are having sewer issues again. You would think "they" would figure out it would be cheaper in the long run to fix it right. The same goes for the pool, what a waste to not use it. Some days my eyes work better than others. I can usually tell what kind of a day it will be whether or not I can read the newspaper first thing in the morning. Meeting car headlights and reading street signs bother me more than anything.

I am heading for bed. Hope you have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Last edited by Jean; 07-18-2017 at 09:53 AM.