Old 01-29-2017, 01:45 PM   #1  

Talking Steel Magnolias -- #2

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and it's a chilly 30 degrees. There were 79 in church this morning which is about the usual for this time of year. A family with two younger boys and a baby sat in front of me and provided the entertainment. The gal who gave the children's sermon always does an outstanding job. Her message is usually longer than the rest of the presenters and the kids really participate. We went out for breakfast afterwards so that took care of lunch too. I have a load of clothes in the washer and need to start making my "to do" lists for the trip. I will miss out on cat-sitting my favorite cat and card club while we are gone.

The washer should be done so I need to get busy and accomplish something more this afternoon. Hope you all have a nice day and enjoy!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:57 AM   #2  

Good morning gals! We're supposed to have a nice sunny 57 for a high today.

I am going to make a valient effort to get housecleaning done today. It really needs it. I am going to have to set aside a few weekends and get boxes and start cleaning out closets and such. The upstairs is a total mess because there is no room for anything.

My bff is going to call and talk this week. Her sil is in and out of rehab and she is driving Vicki nuts. Poor Vicki doesn't need that nut job bugging her about Bob. It is going to be hard enough for her now without Barbara wanting to cry on her shoulder when she never had time for him to begin with. Wouldn't surprise me if she thought she could wring money out of Vicki, but Vicki is barely going to get through this financially. I texted her last night and told her not to answer the phone as she made an appt to come to Vicki's house I guess then after Vicki sat at home all day waiting she never showed up or called. I can't do much from here.

Susan: Oh my I sure hope your friend can get the infection under control and not lose his leg or worse. From what I understand of my friend's husband, the cancer mass that cameback had blood vessels and they burst. Just a freak thing. Have fun with your new projects!

Jean: You are the busiest person I know. I sure wish spring would hurry up and come. I talked to an aquaintance from our old church and she and her husband left it about 3 yrs ago. I guess the pastor has driven everyone away except the "old guard" and those who are friends of theirs. He ruined that wonderful church.

Everyone have a great start to the week!!
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:11 AM   #3  

Happy Last Day of January! Looking back it seems like the days flew by quickly. Yesterday was church counting then trying to convince the gift shop buyer I didn't have two of the invoices she said she gave to me. The numbers aren't in the checkbook so will be back at the gift shop today in hopes to find them there. We left for Sioux Falls right after lunch. Their mall has a huge Penneys store and I thought maybe I might find something summery for the cruise. Nope! I don't know who is going to buy all the leftover winter clothing but they have a lot of it for women. Like Sioux City, the men's department had quite a few summer choices and Bob came home with a couple more dress shirts, ties, shorts, and a nylon jacket. We were early for Ian's game so sat through the 7th grade A and B team games first. Both little towns have big numbers for both 7th and 8th grade teams. Both 8th grade teams won and Ian played two quarters in the A game. We had a couple sit behind us who were smokers and did they ever stink, putting it bluntly. They left after the first game and I was glad! Even Zowie commented about the smell. I need to go to WM for orphan food and decide on some sort of dessert for a luncheon on Friday. A lady asked me to switch months with her which will work for me since my turn was a couple days after we get home.

"Gma," it sounds like your friend Vicki has a plate full. I hope she is a strong woman and will stand up to her sil. Our previous pastor drove some members away. I didn't know how many people didn't like him until he was gone. I've heard a few rumbles about the current one but they can't please everyone no matter what they do. Overall I think he is well liked, a type A personality who wants to be involved in everything. He was vacuuming crumbs last week after first service, and has been known to shovel sidewalks.

I need to get dressed and get busy. Hope you enjoy a terrific Tuesday!

Last edited by Jean; 01-31-2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:26 AM   #4  

Good morning everyone. It is a pleasant day out today though not particularly warm. I am finishing up the downstairs, but just taking a short break.

I am hoping my mail is delivered today as they didn't deliver it yesterday and since I had a package I know I didn't get my mail. I have two more packages out for delivery today so he better get his lazy butt out of his truck and deliver them. I want our older gentleman back. At least he delivered the mail properly. It only was screwed up when the fill in was working.

Jack went off to work this morning, but has to take tomorrow off as he has a cardiology appointment to go to. We got sent an email. I think I am going to call him and have him check to make sure it really is an appointment so he doesn't waste a day off.

Jean: We were at a restaurant and the lady smoked so much it was all on her clothes and such. She smelled awful like an old ashtray. I know they don't realize they smell like that because they become used to it, but doesn't make it pleasant for those of us who don't smoke. What dessert did you decide on? We haven't seen the critter since I bought that electronic thing that supposedly they don't like the sound of. Jack wants to catch it though so I bought the trap. I just don't want to see it, period. They freak the heck out of me, even squirrels. I can face down a snake but not a rodent.

Everyone have a good day today. Back to work.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:00 PM   #5  

Good afternoon. It is cloudy and supposed to rain by tonight, but it is fairly mild here. It is supposed to cool into the 40's though and then back into the 60's next week and back and forth.

Jack had his yearly cardiology appointment this morning. His ticker is still working ok. Of course they want him to lose more weight. He then came and picked me up and we went to lunch then to WM, to the post office then home. I have everything put away and will go upstairs and put away clothes this afternoon sometime I imagine. I haven't gotten them put back yet. I need to clean the bathrooms up there tomorrow as they need it badly.

I sent a letter to the postmaster of our post office about the postman not delivering my packages. He didn't deliver Monday or yesterday. I called and reamed out the delivery supervisor and the guy said, "Yes, your mail is here." I told him it was supposed to be in our mailbox not in the post office and it had better be here today and all the packages or Thursday I would be in there chewing out the postmaster too. I am fed up with this.

We got our tax refund and I paid on the cruise so we have $1400 left and the cabin will be paid for. I have it budgeted for April payoff and it doesn't have to be paid off until July so we are good. I still can't make show or specialty restaurant reservations yet though. I think we are going to try Jamie Oliver's restaurant one night.

You all have a good afternoon. I need to check on my laundry.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:04 PM   #6  

Good Afternoon! It's another windy gloomy day in my neighborhood. We had a few lazy snowflakes fall this morning but they only lasted a few minutes. The wind makes it feel extra cold outside. I'm not betting on the groundhog seeing his shadow; besides, I can never remember which way means more winter. I spent some time writing checks for the gift shop there because I needed a copy that I didn't have. I got home and realized I had left the checkbook in the money box drawer when I took the checks upstairs to the accountant. So back I went, left the car running by the front door telling the valet I would forget my head if it wasn't attached. He just shook his head and grinned. I've addressed my Valentines for the kids so can cross another thing off my "to do" list! The washer and dryer are doing their jobs right now. I have bell practice later this afternoon and Bob has a meeting at church as I finish practice.

"Gma," I sure hope your mail and packages were delivered by now! Glad Jack's appointment was a good one. Doctor appointments always make me a little nervous; I think that goes back to when Jason was in his brace and the whole bone regrowing process was so slow. We were also a bit afraid of his doctor although he obviously knew what he was doing. Well, talk about a fiasco! My baking skills leave a lot to be desired and my confidence is nil. I decided to order a cheesecake from a restaurant that caters. I hadn't heard back from either co-host (very rude imo) so tried to second guess a number. It ended up I would need to buy two so she suggested a butter cake which comes in a sheet cake pan. I've never had it so she gave me a sample, it is served warm, with home made ice cream and raspberry juice dribbled over it. Delicious! So that is what I ordered. Well, last night one of the co-hosts called with her number guesstimate and I would be eating cake leftovers for a month! I called this morning, cancelled the cake, and ordered a white chocolate turtle cheesecake. If I come up short, the hostesses just won't get any! Aren't you afraid the rat will smell if he dies and you can't find him? I guess you wouldn't like the squirrels that peek in my sliding doors. What kind of restaurant is Jamie Oliver? If it is a chain, I don't think they are in our area.

I need to fold a load of towels and get the next load going. Hope you all are enjoying a wonderful Wednesday wherever you are!
Old 02-02-2017, 07:20 AM   #7  

Good morning gals! It is in the low 40's today and supposed to rain. Jack just left for work a few minutes ago as he had to gas up the Mariner this morning. He said it's time for an oil change in it so he'll have to call the dealer and make an appointment.

I have a load of towels in the washer and hopefully can get upstairs and get some cleaning done today. My knee is complaining this morning so don't know what will get done. I need to get my great niece's blanket washed and blocked so I can send it and the gift card. I bought a gift bag and card yesterday as her wedding is next month. We can't go because Jack's vacation time is really tight now. He has to hold a certain number back for vacation since I prepaid all the hotels and such and he's had to use several days already for dr appts, the sewer thing a few weeks ago and such.

Jean: It's kind of hard to control the whole rat thing living in a condo. We don't know where it went for one thing and don't know if one of the neighbors saw it and tried to get rid of it. I guess it could have been a pet of some kind, but it wasn't a mouse, too big, wasn't a white rat, etc. I bought the electronic sound thing until we could get the trap. It wasn't in stock so had to wait on it to have it shipped. When it gets here I imagine Jack will bait it and turn off the sound thing to see if it comes back. There has been no droppings anywhere, floor, cabinets and such nor any sighting of it so who knows. No sounds of anything in the walls or on the roof or attic either. Haven't seen anything in two weeks. When do you leave for the cruise? I'll be curious how the dessert fiasco went. 😄😄

You all have a good day. Breakfast time!
Old 02-02-2017, 02:45 PM   #8  

Good Afternoon! It was 8 degrees this morning! The sun is shining but the wind is blowing strong. I went to get my nails done this morning then ran a couple errands. We are heading to Ian's game in a few minutes. Bob wants to take a picture of his dad's garage on our way. He is writing an article for an Oliver magazine. A lady talked him into it this summer when he was at a tractor show.

"Gma," we never heard the bats in our walls but a friend did. She said it was a little unnerving because they were more active at night. We haven't had one in the house for several years. I hope your knee is feeling better. Are you still thinking about a replacement? We leave here on the 16th, fly from Omaha on 17th, and sail on the 18th. We are flying Delta so hope they got their computer glitch fixed for good! I will be glad when it is this time tomorrow and dessert time will be over!

Bob says it's time to go. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 02-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #9  

Good morning to you ladies. It is just plain cold here this morning. Jack wore his heavy coat to work. He always reminds me of the Michellan man when he wears it.

I have been sitting here for the last half an hour deciding on some stuff from Clinique. I use their powder/foundation and really like it and needed some more, but got a sample of their moisturizer and like it so was deciding whether to get the jar of it or go with the pump gel. Wearing nails makes it harder to get stuff out of the jar so I finally went with the gel. I use Neutrogena cleansing clothes, but Clinique's clarifying lotion and moisturizer. I don't do huge effort with my facial skin as far as serums and tighteners and such. I have never taken care of my skin much so the wrinkles I have are the wrinkles that are going to stay. I've always had good skin and never had many breakouts as a teen nor even later on. I will get one occasionally even now, but it is usually an ingrown hair I think because they are always in my chin or upper lip area.

We shall see what I can get done today. I have to warm up first. Sitting here next to the window at the pc it can get cold.

You know, I am getting pretty sick and tired of seeing all this violence and stuff around the country. On top of that these companies that stick their nose into politics instead of just selling what they have to sell. I saw Nordstroms has jumped on the bandwagon now and has removed Ivanka's line of clothing from their stores. This kind of ridiculousness is pretty petty and everyone of these places I will not step foot in or purchase anymore. I am but one person, but I think we all need to show them politics and retail do not mix.

Jean: Hope Ian's game went well. I told Jack I think we are the only people that actually enjoy the traveling part when on vacation. Most people just want to get there and get off the plane. Maybe it is because we travel by car and don't drive long hours, but we enjoy it. I hope your plane travel doesn't get snafooed. I know you don't ever seem to be able to go in a straight line you seem to have to travel around the country a bit before they get you to your destination. Memphis doesn't have many direct flights to places, which I find weird considering how big the airport and city are.

Everyone have a good weekend. We have to go to the mall and try and get my money back on a pair of shoes that I ordered and are too big. Maybe we'll just do a little shopping while we are out there who knows?
Old 02-03-2017, 05:21 PM   #10  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining but it's a cold 20 degrees outside. Part of the conversation this afternoon was that we are supposed to be even colder over the weekend, but no snow. Guess we will take what we get, but the sunshine sure helps make it seem warmer even if it isn't. I took the cheesecake to the luncheon, and I didn't think it was all that great but everyone else said it was wonderful! I was so afraid I would come up short but there were two funerals that three of the ladies helped serve their lunch so I had five extra pieces, one for each hostess's hubby. I'm glad that's over for another year; I can get majorly stressed over taking/making food! My saving grace was that it was such short notice and the other hostesses had everything planned and the member calling done. I wish they would do emails but some of the older (than I am!) don't have computers.

"Gma," I so agree with you on all the violence happening in this country. I thought once the election was over the political hype would stop, and it's worse now than ever. I get a lot of it on FB because Jason is a huge history and government knowledgeable person. I must admit I am surprised at how much he knows and he will take on the liberals in the blink of an eye. Of course they never do the research to find out his facts are correct. If the media would just lay low it would help imo. Ian's game was in an "old" high school gym in a small town an hour or so closer for us, farther for them. It is a new school with three gyms, and if this was the old one, I can't imagine what the other two must be like. It looked pretty new to us; their mascot is a panther and one wall had four huge panthers painted in various poses. Their eyes were lime green and Zowie wanted to know if they glowed in the dark. Both 7th grade teams won by 30+ points. Ian played a quarter in the A game and half of the B game. He plays center because he is so tall but made three points. I am amazed at the smaller boys who can make 3 pointers and make it look so easy. There are a couple 8th graders who don't even come up to Ian's shoulders. The 8th graders won both their games too. My problem with getting ready for a trip is I leave too many things to do the last minute. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive to Omaha from here, and I try to mentally think of everything I packed in case I forgot something. Bob does his own packing except for meds and I do those. I wanted to pay extra and pick seats but because I bought cheap (NOT!) tickets I can't do that until 24 hours before flight time. Not sure how that will work coming home because we will still be on the ship. The flight is the afternoon we get off. We probably won't get to sit together which irritates me.

I need to change clothes and regroup for the rest of the day. I really need to go walk on the dreadmill. Hope you enjoy the rest of your day.
Old 02-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #11  

Good morning, ladies! A cold 30 degrees here with sunshine. We had 6 or 7 snowflakes yesterday.

My friend's Ken is still in the ICU. There were complications with his quadruple bypass. He can't keep any food or water down so they had to put him back on IVs and nothing by mouth. The doctor thinks he may have a bowel obstruction. He still is extremely short of breath and they don't know why. Poor man! Sandy is wearing herself out going to ICU visiting hours and working. We're going to try to have lunch or dinner at Ruby Tuesday today.

I had First Thursday Bee this week. Sandy wasn't there because of Ken, another member wasn't there because her husband had surgery, and 2 others because one of them had knee surgery and they live far away and the other girl's husband didn't want her coming alone. I took a Lemon Torte for dessert. I don't bake and they know it, but I usually get something from Trader Joe's and they like that.

Monday is my sew day with Glory and Norah. That's always fun.

Donna, I'm with you on the violence. Time to start cutting off student loans and financial aid to the colleges and universities. And jail time is always good. I can't stand rodents or snakes. Gina lives in Austin TX and she emailed Glory that the other morning her neighbor got the kids up for school and her son came out of the bathroom and told her there was a snake in the toilet. It was a 6-foot rattlesnake. In TX they have so many they have herpatologists that come and remove them for free. She called and they came and found 24 rattlesnakes in her house. I'd have died at the first one and with the rest I'd abandon the house and move to Alaska.

Jean, I always make a list and then cross off things when I pack for a trip otherwise I forget something. Won't it feel good to have some lovely warm weather on your cruise! I hoipe we don't have any more snow.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 04:15 PM   #12  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, the wind is blowing, and it's cold outside! The weatherman promised 40 degrees today but I don't see any evidence of melting. frown I've been sorting through gift shop paperwork and pitching what I don't need to save. I figure when the check clears the bank, and all deposits match, the paperwork takes up too much space! We are going to see the dog movie later, can't think of the name off hand but the previews were cute. I've started my packing list and took tags off Bob's new shirts and shorts. The golf shirts seem stiff so am going to wash them and hope they soften up. I need to find my sandals as they aren't where I thought they would be. Tomorrow is church and beyond that I don't have anything planned.

Susan, I hope the doctors can figure out what is causing the breathing difficulty for Ken. My mom had several bowel obstructions and ended up in the ER, bad stuff. Sitting in hospitals, with a sick loved one, is not fun. The Lemon Torte sounds much tastier, to me, than cheesecake! We also had a chicken casserole, mini muffins, and cooked carrots which were all delicious. There was no salad which kind of surprised me but was ok since I wasn't in on the planning. I would be long gone from the house if I even remotely thought there might be a snake hiding somewhere. I don't even like worms! Have fun sewing with Glory and Norah!

Hope you are enjoying a nice day today and enjoy!
Old 02-05-2017, 03:07 PM   #13  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining but it is breezy and cold. I cleaned out another cupboard forgetting what all was up there where I can't reach without a ladder. Bob kindly helped me! When they exchanged the microwave the guy told me to keep the glass plate and wheel it sits on. Thus the cupboard cleaning because it needed a big space. There is a load of laundry in the washer that should be done soon. Another busy week ahead with money counting, a P.E.O. meeting after lunch tomorrow.

I need to keep moving so I don't fall asleep. I was up too late last night reading because I fell asleep in front of the tv. I try not to do that but it happens. Enjoy the rest of your day!
Old 02-06-2017, 10:39 AM   #14  

Good morning to you ladies. We went out early yesterday and were gone until afternoon so I forgot to get in here.

Took me nearly half an hour to get my refund on the shoes. We went to shoe first and she was all happy to help, but took her 15 minutes to tell us we needed to go to customer service because I had purchased with both a gift card and a credit card. So off we went to customer service then they only had one gal and she was wrapping gifts so we had to wait for that. I kept trying to get through to them I never got a packing slip as they were shipped separately and the second pair had no paperwork. I told them I wanted no gift card back but the full amount back on my credit card because I had no intention of ever coming into Dillards again with the problems I had. She finally relented and put it all back on my Discover card. They tried to tell me they could only put it on a gift card then the remainder on my credit card, but when I pinned her down that I kept one pair of shoes that was over the amount of the gift card so the gift card was spent on the pair I kept, she finally said ok. They try to keep you coming back by making you take gift cards and I had so much trouble and arguments that I said no more.

We had some lunch then got gas and finally spent forever at Kroger just for a half gallon of milk. This was around 2 PM and the whole parking lot was full with people buying stuff for the football game. I had to get out of the passenger side and drive around the parking lot and Jack went in and got the milk. It was nuts, nuts, nuts there.

I need to get upstairs and clean bathrooms today. I did sheets and laundry yesterday, but had more laundry this morning so am finishing that. I also washed the blanket I made for my great niece for her wedding and did the best I could blocking it. I didn't have enough blocking squares for the size of the blanket. I just hope it dries quickly as it takes up a lot of floor space in the pantry.

Susan: I will pray for your friend that his health improves. The poor man! I had to face down a 6 foot bull snake and his mate when Jay was a baby and I lived at my inlaws. She was at the neighbors and it got into the laundry room. They had this pain in the butt poodle that kept barking at it and at the time I didn't know they were harmless. The thing was huge. I grabbed the dumb dog, the baby and went and sat in my car with the ac on until she came back from the neighbors. She thought I was an idiot, but what did I know? I grew up in the Midwest! Kind of sad the older we get that clubs and groups we belong to start having more and more members pass away or have things happen like your group did.

Jean: I was talking to Jack about the round about way you seem to always have to go on vacation. He said they send you all over the place and charge you for your inconvenience. Glad Ian is doing well in Bball. I know you think I am loony, but my making several lists always keeps me from forgetting stuff. I have one for clothing, one for hygiene/med kind of stuff, a list for books, electronics, etc, a list of things I need to do, ie stop mail, check doors, turn off computers, check electrics, heat, etc. Since I take shoes to match my outfits, I list exactly what I am taking to wear together then pair it with shoes. As I remember things not on the list, I add it. I start a couple weeks before and seems I never forget anything. Staying at the hotel, we pack a separate bag just for the hotels so we don't have to drag in the whole thing. I know with flying you have to be more compact. Anyway, when we are packing to leave the hotel, I start at the back of the hotel room and check for stuff on bed, under bed, drawers, closet, etc and turn the light off as I go. By the time we are at the exit drawer I know everything is cleaned out as all the lights are out!

Well, I need to finish the laundry and get upstairs. Have a good week.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:35 PM   #15  

Good Evening! I have been gone most of the day so Bob cooked supper. He went to pick up a pizza! Counting church money took longer this morning because I spent some time visiting with the office secretary. There is some rumbles going on about the work the former secretary turned ministry helper isn't doing. So the gift shop money was next and didn't take long but there were checks to write, lunch, and then off to P.E.O. We had lots of amendments to vote on dreamt up by another state chapter. They tried the same thing last year and it didn't work so don't know why they tried again. We had a guest speaker who talked about Meredith Wilson who wrote The Music Man. That was interesting since there is a museum not far from my home town. Needless to say nothing was accomplished at home!

"Gma," what a hassle to get your shoe money returned! I'm glad you were successful! I don't pack a lot of shoes because of the weight. I just found out we have to put our "big" luggage out in the hall the night before we leave the ship. I told Bob he would have to have a carry-on this time because of changing clothes from "hot to cold" and I sure don't want to do it in the airport lobby. I make multiple lists too, but if I get interrupted, my train of thought goes awol. I do have them started!

I am going to take a hot shower and then head for bed. Hope you have a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Last edited by Jean; 02-06-2017 at 09:36 PM.