Old 01-24-2017, 09:55 PM   #106  

Height: 5'7"

Hi Everyone,

Busy day for me. My VP has been here for 2 weeks and in and out of the office where I work but most of her meetings were downtown. Today was her last day here before flying back to Singapore tomorrow. I was with her all day at my office site. She had a lot of meetings and it was a long busy day.

She is a very nice lady and I enjoy working with her.

Shad: I am so glad this surgery is behind you and you can get on with the healing. I hope your pain won't be to great. I don't remember pain with mine because I had a epidural that they left in until the next day. Nerve endings stop firing after 24 hours and I was numb all that time so when the epidural came out, I had no pain.

I had what is called swelly belly off and on for a good 3 months after the surgery and that made me uncomfortable at times but staying off my feet and not running the vacuum sweeper for a good 6 months (DH did that for me), seemed to help to not have the swelly belly and when I did, using a heating pad on it helped.

Annie: Sorry to hear about the UTI. They are never fun. Did the Retirement class give you any hope that you will be able to retire? I am starting to think about all that. I have about 13 years until then and I have a 401K I contribute too and we have profit sharing and I have IRA's from other 401K's from other places I have worked but you just always wonder if it will be enough.

I was glad to hear you didn't have to have the liver biopsy.

Laura: I am sorry to hear your foot is giving you issues. I too am having some issues with my right foot. It started about Thursday of last week. Very similar to the issues I had two years ago that they never figured out what it was. I still have the boot that I wore and it gave me relief to not have pressure on that foot, so if needed I will try that again for awhile.

I am not happy about having this issue as it could stop my exercise..and that isn't going to happen. It actually feels worse when I use the recumbent bike so I am doing more treadmill, with no incline and going a little slower and just going longer. I am still doing about 10 min on the bike and again, slowing down a bit.

Did you find out what your insurance will pay for the extra mammo gram pictures? It is a sad state that we have to think about the cost of things when we have insurance. It seems to be the way for everyone these days.

I am glad to hear that your bank caught the fraud quickly and as you know, I know too well about this sort of thing with the nightmare that happened to me and DH last November. You are smart to watch your accounts closely.

Ceejay: I think your decorating ideas with the red and coke theme. How did the appointment go today?

Happy: It sounds like you had a nice weekend and found a new place to go out to eat.

Your are correct that I did get one less person to support, it was my AD. She needed a lot of support with her calendar and other areas. She was as busy as my Director and she wasn't good at keeping on top of things and every thing was a last minute thing with her which made my world crazy.

So, I got rid of her to support daily. I did get two Research Fellows in her place and my VP when she is here but even with those 3, they don't have as many needs as the AD did and they are good at keeping me in the loop on things so I can manage what they need easier. My Director is the same way as the VP and the Research Fellow.

You asked me how I knew about the pancreas. I hadn't had issues in the past but I had a friend who had an attack and what I was feeling sounded like what she went through. It feels like a gallbladder attack but I knew that wasn't it as I don't have one. I had that removed when I was 21.

The symptoms were tenderness around my middle..up high right under the breast line and it radiated into my back and I had a lot of indigestion.

Fatty foods does affect it and that is why I decided to go low fat and eat small meals....since I have I have not had any issues and I am having the benefit of losing weight and all my indigestion and heart burn are gone!

That is about all for me tonight. I'm heading to bed in a few minutes. I'll see everyone tomorrow.
MyChoice2bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:44 AM   #107  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Hello Everyone!

Faking it till I make it today. Smiles everyone! I am healthy, I am happy, I am blessed...mantra for today!

Now, UTI had me in pain and up most of the night. Couch, heating pad and lots of water. Bleh. Best part of last night....Royce the 2 1/2 yr old came out of his room at 4:30 am, went to the pantry, got an oatmeal cream pie (oat, emmm, pie) and his milk from the fridge and headed back to his room. Guess it was cookie break or something. Was asleep thereafter when I got up to get ready for work at 5:00.

Last night dinner was easy as I had the pork loin in the crocker. It was so good and tender. Onions were sweet, carrots were tender, taters were awesome. C was late getting home from work because of the hydraulic line to the back lift split open and was spewing fluid every where. Had to drive about 40 miles south of Indy to the only place that fixes that type of thing to get it fixed. 155.00 bucks later all good. Now he needs to get his front breaks fixed and a set of tires (that is 6 tires). Oh yeah, I am healthy, I am happy, I am blessed.

SUSIE...the retirement class was depressing. I may NEVER get to retire. Thinking I could retire at 65 is now a blur. Probably more like 67 to 70. Good for HAPPY, gives her more time to get the commune in order. Bleh. I am healthy, I am happy, I am blessed. It wasn't so much I don't have to have the liver biopsy as much as it is my decision not to have it. The doc didn't fight me on it so it must not be that critical. Just my thoughts on that one. Glad you like your boss but also nice she is going back to Singapore and giving you a break. Work is so much more enjoyable when we like our boss. I love mine. Glad the new eating plan is agreeing with you, losing weight and you feel better. Wonderful!

Hello to all, may check back in later today.

Hugs
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 08:47 AM   #108  
Annie - Indiana

State police are issuing a warning about credit card skimming after they fell victim to the crime themselves.

Police discovered some of their fuel cards had been compromised, including one card which was used for more than $1,000 in fraudulent charges. The affected cards had been used at one central Indiana gas station.

State police investigators believe the card information was obtained by a skimming device installed on a gas pump.

Police say few details are available about the crime at this time, but urge all gas station owners to regularly check their pumps for signs of suspicious activity and report it to the police.

ISP gave several tips for drivers to help you from falling victim to a skimming device scam:

Use the pump closest to the building or in clear view of the cashier. When placing skimming devices criminals try not to be seen and will often use pumps where employees have obstructed views
Look for wires hanging out of access panels, and damaged or broken locks on the gas pump.
Look at other gas pumps to be sure the credit card readers all look the same and use your fingers to physically pull on it.
Look for tamper-resistant seals on access panels
Avoid entering your PIN number at a gas pump, or if you must, be sure to shield it with your other hand.
If anything looks suspicious about the pump, report it to an employee and go to another location.
Diligently check your credit card statement each month for fraudulent charges. Criminals often use stolen credit card numbers to make small purchases ensuring it will work before racking up large amounts of money.
Old 01-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #109  

Morning all.

Annie – Glad C got away with the truck repair costing less than $200. Now the tire cost will be another matter… But at least those costs are business expenses to him that are tax deductible. == I find it interesting that a skimmer device can be installed somewhere and not look “fishy” because I’d think there isn’t much time to do a tidy job of if without looking suspicious. But people do it and the public doesn't notice. Sigh. I sure hope the gas station people check the pumps out regularly. Or at least at the Costo station bf & I use! == What a bummer that the UTI is painful. I think the stuff that makes the p turn orange is helpful with the pain & that “gotta go” feeling – are you using that? -- Yes, retirement is a puzzle – how are you supposed to know how much money you’ll need and for how long when you retire?? And will SS and Medicare still be there for us at the same levels x years from now? Right now, at least if you do work longer and don’t claim SS until later, the amount you get will be higher… == I’ll have to check out an episode of Travelers on Netflix. I like Eric McCormack. Speaking of EM – happy to hear that there will be a reunion of Will & Grace! Loved that show.

Susie – So now you support a Director, a VP when she’s in town, and two research fellows? Still sounds like a lot! But I’m glad your load is more manageable without the AD. == I’m sorry your foot is also hurting you. And even when you use the recumbent bike??!! That’s terrible. I wish it were warm enough and light enough to safely ride my bike for part of my commute so I could be off my bad foot, but still get some exercise. Right now I’ve been getting rides to the train from bf at least one way. I’m walking when I’m downtown, but very slowly. But I’ve been putting more weight on my left leg, so I’m feeling soreness there from shifting my gait. Sigh. I will end up at the doctor again if this pain doesn’t fade soon. == We’re at about the same spot on the retirement track, and we both have the same thought – will what we’ve saved be enough? And who knows what will happen to SS and Medicare in the next 13 years – will they raise the eligibility ages?? == I did phone my med insurance co, but didn’t find out the cost of the extra mammo film and ultrasound. But I do know where I am as far as meeting the annual deductible, and I know I will have to pay towards that before getting a break. Oh well, that’s what the H.S.A is there for.

Shad – I hope you’re now back to home sweet home and comfortable in your own bed and surroundings, and able to sleep without people popping in to check your stats every hour.

Hi Ceejay.

==

Well, my right foot still hurts. Getting rides to and/or from the train. I would like to drive the car to the train parking, but it seems that the windshield fluid pump is not working (or I suppose it could be the hoses, but in that case they probably wouldn’t both fail at the same time, or it could be a problem with the fluid reservoir - who knows?). Anyway…I suppose one can survive without it more easily in non-winter months, but not when it’s cold and frost and ice need to be melted! So I won’t take the chance. Can’t take the SUV because how would bf get around? We have to get the car in to have it repaired. I know bf doesn’t want to spend the money on that because he’d prefer to do the job himself…but we don’t have a heated garage, and even though he’s pretty good with mechanical stuff, he hasn’t done this type of repair before. Uh, he better know we’re not waiting until spring to get this done. So either get out the space heaters & get a repair manual, or take it to a mechanic. End of ramble.

Nothing much else to report, so I’ll get this posted. Buh bye for now.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 12:20 PM   #110  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Good morning girls,

Yep, we are blessed to wake up and see yet another day.

You know Anne - I am starting to realize that I was most blessed in the fact that I was able to retire when I did even though at the time I thought we were on the brink of financial disaster. We may be the last of our kind. A casual remark of DH's did bother me the other day. He bent over to pick something up off the floor and got really dizzy. He said he "was not long for this world". I asked him why and he said he was in alot of pain and the dizzy thing probably meant that his heart was acting up. I told him he wasn't going anywhere for a long, long while. Cannot operate the commune without him.

There was a question about the women's march and the reasoning for it. As someone who would have marched in our town if I could have (slippery weather and bad knees kept me from it). This was my reasoning - I fear that we have an administration in place that would love to take us back to 1960's "a woman's place is in the home" style of thinking. I fought gender bias all through my 40 year career in Information Technology - which even beyond the year 2000 - was still pretty much a man dominant world. Down south where I lived for a while there was a strong culture that the man made the decisions and the woman went along with whatever he decided. In fact women were "forbidden" by their fathers, spouses to participate in things the men themselves did not believe in. I grew up in the tail end of that world - have no desire to see it's return. And then there are the touchier issues - specifically gay marriage and abortion. There are many women who object to this for religious reasons and would not mind seeing these two items repealed. However, I strongly believe that we should not take away EVERYONE'S access to something just because some people don't like it. If that were the case, I'd repeal hunting and this whole growing movement of No Kid Hungry where it seems more and more the responsibility for the costs of child rearing on being pushed on everyone except for the people who made those kids. The march originated not because of specific actions but instead from comments made that implied a high risk of losing what we already have in place. People were trying to send a message - we're watching you. Was it effective? It got people's attention. It was nationwide so that means it touched a lot of people. And it was a peaceful demonstration. So that's my opinion.

Last edited by happy2bme; 01-25-2017 at 12:22 PM.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:07 PM   #111  
Choose your hard

Another question you guys were talking about in retirement - how much to save. First decide what you want to do in retirement - some people want to travel - that can be really costly. Some people want to get out of the cold environment they live in and move to a warmer climate - that can be costly too. Some people don't want to move because their children and grandchildren are around them which may mean staying in a city that is very expensive for retirement. That's one reason we left Chicago - we simply could not afford to retire there and live on our fixed income and pay the exorbitant property taxes, gas prices, food and all those ridiculous taxes you guys pay on water and soft drinks! Figure that you will spend about 20 percent less than you do right now because you won't have the costs of working - which of course may get traded out for what you spend in recreation. You simply can't retire if you have a mortgage on your home. You healthcare costs are probably going to replace the money you are putting out for a mortgage right now so you have to trade one for the other. A HUGE expense - perhaps the biggest - is whether you have children/grandkids and how much you fund their lifestyles. I am convinced that DH and I can make it because we don't have children, even if we do spend about $30 extra a week feeding all the critters in the yard. At least they don't need braces and eyeglasses and a college education

The next thing you figure is what your income will be in retirement. If you retire as I did before I could collect a pension or social security - how will you fund that "gap" between age 59 and 66? That's where your savings comes in. A good rule of thumb in the financial community is that if you never withdraw more than 4 percent of your savings in a year, then you will never outlive your money. 4 percent isn't much so you have to save more than $50,000 if you want to retire.

We spend maybe about 60% of what we did when we were working. We chose an area that would be less expensive to live in although we live in a "resort/vacation" town and we pay more for gas and groceries than we would if we went to smaller towns an hour away. We spend more for car insurance that we did in the cities simply I believe because the potential for hitting a deer is much greater and just a tap will cause serious damage to your car. Our housing and taxes are less expensive. When we were looking to move up here, we had an idea of what homes and taxes would be thanks to online places like realtor.com. And we were realistic in home buying - would we love to have the beautiful big cabin right on the lake? Sure but that was not reasonable. I have 2 sets of cousins up here - I asked a ton of questions about what they paid for car insurance, homeowners insurance, groceries, utilities, health care, taxes - anything I could think of so we could try and get an estimate of what costs were versus our income. The first 2 years we lived here were both joyous because of where we chose to live but also incredibly stressful with a lot of fights about money. If I went to both Walmart AND the grocery store in the same week or I ordered a bunch of stuff from Amazon - we'd be arguing about it. It wasn't until the 3rd year that DH was able to relax a bit and feel like we had a good handle on our spending and were going to be ok.

The most stressful thing for me in retirement is that the only way for us to make money outside of the non existent jobs up this way - is to grow our investments. Fortunately DH has done very well with reasonable growth and protecting what we have. But we are at the mercy of the stock market. I remember the 90's where we lost a ton of money and it stayed that way for years. I thought it would never bounce back. You don't realize the security of having a steady paycheck. Or the insecurity of maybe having to go back to work when you are competing against people much younger than you for far fewer jobs. I was very confident in my ability to take care of myself when I was working - not so much now although DH constantly reassures me that unless we go on some wild Las Vegas bender, we will be ok.

The biggest expense by far if you retire before you can move to Medicare is the cost of private health insurance. That can bankrupt you. They say that even past age 65 a catastrophic illness like cancer can still bankrupt you. And now it looks like they are going to repeal pre-existing conditions and cap payouts on health insurance again (thank you ACA haters). I have friends my age who would love to retire as they are not physically well but they simply can't afford the private insurance so they keep killing themselves a bit more each day.

So we live a modest life. I consider us blessed because while not wealthy, we have enough. We have even a little bit extra to afford some luxuries like a pontoon boat and a hot tub but I consider that something we worked very hard for in our corporate life. And we only did that after much discussion and the fact that we don't do travelling - much as DH would like to do.

It is possible to do some estimating and figure things out but I think if you didn't save much for retirement starting at age 30, you will never catch up at age 50. And I'm not sure there's going to be much left in the pot of social security for anyone who is age 58 or younger so that means your retirement will mostly be self funded. And if you are lucky enough to get a pension - you might get screwed out of that too like I did with one place I worked for. They got bought out when I left and then sold again to another company who wanted that expense off their books so they made us an offer - hang in for another 6 years and hope something is there to collect or we'll give you a buy out which amounts to 9 years of what you'd get if waited until you were 65 to collect the full pension. We took the buyout and hoped DH could invest and grow that money to go beyond 9 years of payments. I hear more and more of this happening in the corporate world. We definitely won't have the golden years of our parents and grandparents even though we have much more earning power than they ever had. And that's my 2 cents of advice. Sorry to be so wordy.
Old 01-25-2017, 01:26 PM   #112  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Happy
Thanks for the input about the marches. Hope the dh is feeling better today.

Laura
I hope your foot is feeling better. Are you walking on it to much?

Annie
I like your mantra. Think I will use that also. Hope you don't mind me being a copy cat.

---------
Yesterday's visit to the gyn was good. Never had a woman gyn but I really like her. She was very easy to talk to. Good news is that I'm in the age limit that I don't have to have a pap test every year. I'm down to every three years. My anxiety level after driving in Springfield traffic was a 10 but my blood pressure was 118/80. My goal in exercise was to lower my blood pressure. I'm also at the age where my hormone levels needs some help so I will be taking a hormone now. I've been having night sweats. She told me she heard a slight southern accent and asked me where I was from. I told her and she said she grew up in Memphis! I waited on her to deliver a baby. This put me in 5 p.m. traffic in Springfield. UGH.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2017, 01:34 PM   #113  
Choose your hard

And now I have to do quick personals because it's almost time to eat lunch and get ready for yoga class.

Oh one last thing about social security - I think I mentioned this before. I was trying to decide whether to claim before age 66 or wait. I think they want everyone to wait so they don't have a mass draw against it right now. I figured my payments from now to age 85. Then did the same on a spreadsheet for claiming at age 63, 64 and 65. It turns out that if I claim now, I would only get $60,000 less by age 85 than if I would have waited until full retirement at age 66. So someone like my Mom who is still alive and kicking at age 90 would have made out better in the long run but who knows how long we will live? My dad, my brother and many people in my family never made it to age 65. So I'm a sort of take the money and run girl and I decided that I am going to start collecting early after my next birthday - just in case they figure out a way to tap into what's left and drain the swamp. My thinking was that they probably won't cut what people are collecting right now (although your cost of living raises are a pittance) - but there's not telling how they might change the payout structure if you wait 5 or 10 more years. In fact, I'm almost sorry I didn't start collecting this month, rather than delaying it to my next birthday for the few extra dollars it would mean.

Laura - it's a fair bet that they will more than likely up the retirement age for ss the closer you get to it. I think they were talking about age 70 simply because people are living longer. I am sorry your foot is bothering you so much - that's a fairly long walk you have to the train station from your office. And if you have to walk back home in the evening. Good thing at least you don't have snow on the ground - the unevenness of snow and ice would just aggravate it more no doubt. Hope you can figure out the car repair - you're right in this sloppy weather and the salt on the streets (once it snows again) you will need those windshield washers working perfectly.

Annie - there is so much theft with the cards and readers that I only use my debit card in one place where I get money from the ATM. And I give that machine the good old hairy eyeball every time I use it. I would never use a debit card in a gas pump. So far we have been ok with the credit card. I did have some fraud charges on my credit card - both times with a Target Visa card - and I think that was when I placed an online order and someone taking the orders must have been a scammer. Shame that we have to be so paranoid about things. Sorry for the extra expense of C and his truck. Always something, isn't it? But at least it's a repair and not an accident. You are blessed You better not wait too long to get up to the commune as I might not let you in if I get too old and decrepit and lose my mind and forget who you are

Susie - that's very interesting about the "swelly belly". Thanks for clarifying on the pancreas. I am always curious to hear about symptoms. Much like Annie and her heart attack - it's an opportunity to educate. How is DH's afib? Makes sense how the fats in food would make you feel worse.

Shad - glad to hear you are out of surgery. Hope the catheter comes out quickly - that can't be comfortable. Are you home and resting now?

Hi Ceejay

Geez I gotta hustle or learn to make smaller posts. Will have just enough time to rush like a crazy woman to get something in my belly and then shower and run over to the yoga so I can go and lay down for 10 minutes and find my peace.
Old 01-25-2017, 05:23 PM   #114  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all, I'm home again but not feeling too bright, so today will be a very quiet day. The worst pain is on the right side where the drain was. Hopefully all will settle in the next couple of days. I'm not hungry, well I probably am but the fire in the belly is taking away any discomfort anywhere else. Will be taking some painkillers again soon I think. So much for today being Australia day. Sorry this post is all about me. I'll get off and ring DS1 who has been trying to talk to me for a couple of days.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #115  
Annie - Indiana

SHADDIE...Sorry you are still feeling the burn of pain. That is just awful. This too shall pass. <--- I had a boss back in 1985 that used to say that all the time. Haven't forgot that for some unknown reason. Try to remember yesterday is much harder. lol. Hope DS and his SO are taking great care of you. ODDU would if he knew what to do. Maybe a few get well licks will work. Gotta love our pups and kits.

HAPPY....Yes, the retirement class was very depressing concerning SS and your own $$ in retirement. Greenspan has called for full retirement age to be raised from 65 to 67 (67 for all born 1960+ that is me). All benefits drop to 75% what is currently offered IF the gov't. cannot pay back what they ow to SS. Here are come interesting statistics thrown at us. Retirement after age 65 is 57%; 12% believe they will never retire (me, will probably die first); 21% could not guess when their working lives would end. 40% of those that retire by between ages 51-61 will return to some full time employment, most in a new occupation. Every year you wait to retire AFTER retirement age your check increases by 8%. That is just a few of the things we learned. I could make you a copy of this 4 page doc if you are interested in reading more. Let me know. I am just glad you get to enjoy retirement now rather than later. Coming to the commune might be a matter of who can remember whom by the time I get there. haha

CEEG...wow what a great gyn report you got. Good for you. Is the backsplash installed yet? You are welcome to use my mantra. Might add to that mantra, I am grateful.

LAURA...Sorry your foot is still hurting. You might go ahead and wear the brace for a few days to see if that helps. When it is your feet/ankles/legs that are bothering us, it pretty much puts us out of business for anything. Very aware of this aspect.

Last night was chimichangas with leftover pork for dinner. Quite good. Fatfree refried beans, salsa, low fat cheese, rolled up in a tortilla pan fried (Pam spray). Side of lettuce, lowfat sour cream and a bit of avocado. Very tasty. Sam ate 1 1/2, C surprisingly only ate 1. I had a small one.

Laundry and bed.

Hello to all,

Hugs
Old 01-26-2017, 09:51 AM   #116  

Morning all. Trains are stopped on my line due to train vs vehicle accident. On bus #2 to get to cta El train to get me downtown. Maybe it'll be lunch time by the time I get to the office. I have plans.

Last edited by Laura705; 01-26-2017 at 10:02 AM.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:58 AM   #117  

Annie - my favourite aunt used to say that frequently. Never mind, this too will pass. Feeling a bit better now. I've taken some strong painkillers and been to the loo about 100 times. Might need to take out shares in a toilet paper factory. Speaking of which, off I go again. Sorry if that is too much information.
Old 01-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #118  
Choose your hard

Good morning everyone,

Shad - sorry you are in such pain, I understand the lack of desire to eat but the painkillers (which you need to take) will be even more harsh on your stomach, so force yourself to eat something. Preferably something that will not block you up even more that the pain meds will try to do. Although it sounds as if you are not having issues in that department. Accept you will feel badly for a few days - take your temperature if advised to watch for infections and just rest up. I hope it's not too hot outside to add to the discomfort. And remember - if you are frequenting the loo excessively - might want to swap out the toilet paper for those butt wipes - tp will get like sand paper on irritated skin after awhile. I learned that prepping for a colonoscopy Sending you good thoughts

Annie - your chimi's looked good on FB. How do you get the tortilla to fold so nicely - maybe it's because it's really fresh and the ones in my refrigerator are starting to get a bit more stiff. How did you make them? I have a bit of leftover pork tenderloin that I could probably cut into strips and make some of these too. Thank you for the additional information on social security. Your post about Greenspan confirmed my fears about them cutting benefits if I waited much longer to file. I have a piece of paper that came yesterday confirming my application so I hope they will not touch my benefit before I start collecting in May. My gut tells me to call and change it to start collecting right now. I hope waiting a few months will not be a mistake. Bad enough they suck me dry with taxes - don't take away what I have paid in also. As for the statistics on working, believe me DH and I WOULD have continued to work longer IF we COULD. Both of us were outsourced from our jobs. DH said to not tell people that but I see no shame in it. Not like we got fired. And both of us looked for other work unsuccessfully afterwards. I applied for a bunch of jobs at my last company - couldn't even get an INTERVIEW for a help desk manager at my current company even though I was both a manager and a director over help desks for FOURTEEN YEARS prior to the job I held. That's why we decided to move north before the stress of living down south killed us both. I applied for several jobs up this way once we got settled in. And I did get a job up here - the popcorn shop at $7.15 an hour and afterwards I developed such bursitis from standing on my feet for 9 hours straight 5 days a week that it cost me well over $1,000 in podiatrist bills - I spend twice as much as I earned. So... I think there are many people who intend to work later in life - the big IF is whether you can hang in there long enough to do so. Always anticipate something coming along to muck up your plans is the best advice I can give. And that "new occupation" you spoke of - that may be referring to those who wind up working at Walmart or baggers at the grocery store. We have alot of seniors doing that - but then again most jobs up here are seasonal - cabin cleaners, wait staff and the like. Real jobs that pay decent money are hard to come by. Unless you can do construction - a real shortage of reliable and capable people for that. But I'm too short and weak to haul lumber and climb ladders The trick is ... we have to find something at the commune where we can do enjoyable work that we can make money from. Farmers markets are big up here - you and Shad like to garden. There is a girl here who has a farm - she sells her products all year round and charges quite dearly for them but has a steady following. C can take the fishermen out on charters using the pontoon. Shad likes to walk - she can take people out on nature walks. See... perhaps the future is not so bleak if we put our heads together!

Ceejay- yes, one of the few benefits of becoming an older woman is that we can do less of the poking and prodding we have had to put up with all of our lives. I think my gyn said one more pap test at age 65 and then I can be done with them forever since I never had any issues and do not have any female cancer in my immediate family. Boob squishes however don't go away quite so easily.

So I told you I ruined half a box of delicious Florida oranges by storing them in the 3 season room when it got bitterly cold and they froze like rocks. The place I get them from has another crop of oranges - Honeybells. A cross between and orange and a tangerine. I ordered a box and they came yesterday. They were not joking when they said to eat them with a baby's bib. Incredibly juicy. They are sweet like an orange with a touch of honey but have that bit of tart bite that you get from a tangerine. Just absolutely delicious and they are HUGE. We had another cooking class last night and I gave 2 of them to the chef when I returned the ramekin he gave me with artichoke dip from the prior class.

Cooking class last night was soups. Not my favorite class so far. He likes spice so Anne would probably like these soups - poblano peppers and jalapenos and red peppers were liberally added. All the soups contained seafood which in and of itself was not bad except they tended to all taste the same as they had all the same base ingredients. They pretty much used all fresh food which is his style except he used canned tomatoes because the fresh are blah right now and he used frozen corn because we seem to be out of fresh corn on the cob at the grocery store right now I can send recipes if anyone is interested. You can easily substitute another protein like chicken or pork. As he is fond of saying - a recipe is just a list of suggestions for ingredients, not a hard and fast directive. There was a fish stew on the thicker side, a soup made with roux served over white rice and 2 broth based soups. He used coconut milk as a thickener so they were all very diet friendly. One of the soups he served over ramen noodles which I thought was crazy until I tasted it. Quite good. DH drove to the other college campus that was an hour away. It's a nice college campus but the home economics room / kitchen was not as nice as the local high school where we usually have this. And we didn't get home until almost 10pm which was kind of late. The ride must have made me sleepy because I crawled into bed just after 10:30 which surprised DH who was trying to watch something on TV with the volume really cranked up. Why are men so deaf when it comes to the television? I already know they can't hear us when we talk

Bingo tonight but first I have to go through the refrigerator - there is something starting to smell a bit off in there and tonight is put the trash out for tomorrow's pick up. I also have a MOUNTAIN of laundry to do. Guess I have not gotten on top of that. Yesterday I wasted far too much time on the computer and with yoga and then the cooking class after that, I certainly didn't get anything worthwhile done. I have about 4 hours left in the day so get a move on Happy.

Have a good day everyone.

Last edited by happy2bme; 01-26-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:22 PM   #119  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Morning
I was told yesterday that the other tiles will be in Tuesday and he will be out Wednesday to finish. It looks really good.
Not a lot going on. I did go to the gym yesterday and worked out on the treadmill, bike and weight machines.
Stopped by the pharmacy yesterday to pick up my hormones and was shocked at the price even with the insurance.

-------------------------
Happy
I really wanted to retire when I was 62 but glad I waited till I was 66. It was hard those last 4 years. You are right in the planning. That's the key. Health insurance is indeed expensive and it's coming to the point where some doctor's offices will not accept Medicare.
In Arkansas I had a preloaded card that I use for small purchases such as gas and groceries and to order things on line. I decided to do that again here in Missouri. I have it with my bank but it will not affect either my debit or my credit card.
-------------------
More later. My time seems to fly by now a days. I do sleep a bit later in the mornings but I do stay up a bit later too.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 12:58 AM   #120  

Afternoon all. Will be a short post just to keep up with progress. Feeling much easier today. Still not great but at least much of the pain is gone. I'm not trying to do much around the house Nd today haven't even bothered to get dressed and have lounged around on the couch snoozing from time to time. DS1 rang for a progress report and Ds2 has done a load of washing, loaded the dishwasher and is currently out getting some groceries and doing some business for himself. I'm looking after the dog or maybe he is looking after me, who knows. I'm not eating much because the entire gut appears to be in a state. Lots of fluids going in tho
But food seems to challenge the system and produce wind. Lots of it. I've only had to take one pain tablet today. That's better than yesterday.
Time to get off here and find some more fluid
Will be back to personals one day soon.