Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 09:37 AM   #1  
I will make it!

Angry Exercise, Diet and Support #5

Hey Girls I thought the other thread was getting a little too long so I started a new one...it also coincides with end of summer and fall starting.

I got back on the bike last night and cycled for 15 minutes until I noticed a poor tiny ant on the floor that was struggling...I think it had been partially squashed so I got off the bike and put it out of its misery.... at least now its not suffering.

I did ok food wise...I was at 1550 cals and 35 grams of fat. I have been reading alot about the south beach diet and I might give it a try...I'll see.

Here is a great article on dieting:

The Secret to Burning Fat Up To 300% Faster, by Tom Venuto
---------------------------------------
When is the best time of day to do your aerobic exercise? The answer is any
time! The most important thing is that you just do it. Continuous cardiovascular
exercise, such as walking, jogging, stairclimbing, or cycling, sustained for at
least 30 minutes, will burn body fat no matter when you do it. However, if you
want to get the maximum benefits possible from every minute you invest in your
workouts, then you should consider getting up early and doing cardio before you
eat your first meal - even if you're not a "morning person." Early morning
aerobic exercise on an empty stomach has three major advantages over exercising
later in the day:

Early in the morning before you eat, your levels of muscle and liver glycogen
(stored carbohydrate) are low. If you eat dinner at 7 p.m and you eat breakfast
at 7 a.m., that's 12 hours without food. During this 12-hour overnight fast,
your levels of glycogen slowly decline to provide glucose for various bodily
functions that go on even while you sleep. As a result, you wake up in the
morning with depleted glycogen and lower blood sugar - the optimum environment
for burning fat instead of carbohydrate. How much more fat you'll burn is
uncertain, but some studies have suggested that up to 300% more fat is burned
when cardio is done in a fasted, glycogen-depleted state.

So how exactly does this work? It's quite simple, really. Carbohydrate
(glycogen) is your body's primary and preferred energy source. When your primary
fuel source is in short supply, this forces your body to tap into its secondary
or reserve energy source; body fat. If you do cardio immediately after eating a
meal, you'll still burn fat, but you'll burn less of it because you'll be
burning off the carbohydrates you ate first. You always burn a combination of
fat and carbohydrate for fuel, but depending on when you exercise, you can burn
a greater proportion of fat relative to carbohydrate. If doing cardio first
thing in the morning is not an option for you, then the second best time to do
it would be immediately after weight training. Lifting weights is anaerobic
(carbohydrate-burning) by nature, and therefore depletes muscle glycogen. That's
why a post lifting cardio session has a similar effect as morning cardio on an
empty stomach.

The second benefit you'll get from early morning cardio sessions is what I call
the "afterburn" effect. When you do a cardio session in the morning, you not
only burn fat during the session, but you also continue to burn fat at an
accelerated rate after the workout. Why? Because an intense session of
cardiovascular exercise can keep your metabolism elevated for hours after the
session is over. If you do cardio at night, you will still burn fat during the
session, so you definitely benefit from it.

However, nighttime cardio fails to take advantage of the "afterburn" effect
because your metabolism drops like a ton of bricks as soon as you go to sleep.
While you sleep, your metabolic rate is slower than any other time of the day.

Burning more fat isn't the only reason you should do your cardio early. The
third benefit of morning workouts is the "rush" and feeling of accomplishment
that stays with you all day long after an invigorating workout. Exercise can
become a pleasant and enjoyable experience, but the more difficult or
challenging it is for you, the more important it is to get it out of the way
early. When you put off any task you consider unpleasant, it hangs over you all
day long, leaving you with a feeling of guilt, stress and incompleteness (not to
mention that you are more likely to "blow off" an evening workout if you are
tired from a long day at work or if your pals try to persuade you to join them
at the pub for happy hour.)

You might find it hard to wake up early in the morning and get motivated to
workout. But think back for a moment to a time in your life when you tackled a
difficult task and you finished it. Didn't you feel great afterwards? Completing
any task, especially a physically challenging one, gives you a "buzz." When the
task is exercise, the buzz is physiological and psychological. Physiologically,
exercise releases endorphins in your body. Endorphins are opiate-like hormones
hundreds of times more powerful than the strongest morphine. Endorphins create a
natural "high" that makes you feel positively euphoric!

Endorphins reduce stress, improve your mood, increase circulation and relieve
pain. The "high" is partly psychological too. Getting up early and successfully
achieving a small goal kick starts your day and gives you feelings of
completion, satisfaction and accomplishment. For the rest of the day you feel
happy and you feel less stress knowing that the most difficult part of the day
is behind you.

So, you say you're not a morning person? Take heart; neither am I. I can sleep
in like you wouldn't believe! But I get up anyway because I know the effort is
worth the results. When I have a bodybuilding goal that I am clearly focused on,
such as reaching 4% or 5% body fat for a competition, I'm on my Stairmaster for
45 minutes every morning at the crack of dawn without fail. Sure it's a
challenge at first, but you know what? After a few short weeks, It's no longer a
chore and I'm "in the groove" - and you will be too. Just try it. Make a
commitment to yourself to do it for just 21 days. Once those 21 days have gone
by, you'll already be leaner and you'll be on your way to making morning
workouts a habit that's as natural as brushing your teeth or taking a shower.
Once you start getting used to feeling that buzz, you'll become "positively
addicted" to it. The more you do it, the more you'll want to do it. Before you
know it, early morning cardio will your new habit; you'll b!
e leaner, your metabolism will be faster and you'll feel fantastic all day long!

Tom Venuto

Later Ladies

Cyan
Old 08-27-2003, 07:55 PM   #2  

Hey Cyan, thanks for starting a new thread. I guess that everyone is very busy lately. Well, I AM busy, but I wanted to come in and post. I wanted to post my measurements but I can't find my measuring tape. However, on June 9, 2003, I weighed 196 pounds. Today on August 27, 2003, I weigh 170 pounds. That's 26 pounds! I have 30 more pounds to go to get to my goal weight of 140. This diet is so easy for me, that no matter how long it takes, I'm not going to give up! I feel too good (and look so good too!). The compliments keep coming and now my mother-in-law is giving it a try!

Well, I'll go for now. I have a drug calculation test I have to study for!

Lisa
Old 08-28-2003, 09:17 AM   #3  
I will make it!

Angry Hello Ladies

Hey Lisa...amazing...you got take pictures and post them...I have to see the new and emerging you...how cool is that

Well I exercised again on the bike last night for 20 minutes...slowly I am getting back to it like once before ...so thats a great thing for me.

I have a mini vacation starting tomorrow...until monday and then I am back at work for tuesday...it will be nice to have four days off in a row...I am looking forward to that very much.

I am planning on going hiking in the exercise corridor in Morin Heights....it used to be a railway track but they turned it into an exercise route..people ride their bikes, run and walk there...its cool.

Anyway, have a great day everyone and keep plugging away at it

bye
Cyan
Old 08-28-2003, 11:04 PM   #4  

Talking Finally!!!!

Yesssssssss....I am off that stinkin plateau after 3 long months!!! Since May I have fluctuated between 198 and 200 but today even after weighing 3 different times thru the day, I am at 195! I couldnt believe it! Majorly re-motivated now for sure! Dont have long to post because lots to do still before bedtime, but I just had to come share my news. My goal of 165 doesnt look nearly as impossible now.

Lisa, Cyan is right...we wanna see recent pics! That's an amazing amount in that length of time. You'll be at your goal in no time!

Cyan, wonderful for you having some time off. Enjoy yourself! My sis is doing the South Beach diet and so far, she's liking it. I think she lost 3 lbs the first week. She hasnt been doing it long.

Well really need to go get some stuff done. Talk to ya'll again soon!

Miki
Old 08-30-2003, 08:29 AM   #5  
Blooming Day by Day

Angry

Hi, everyone! Thanks for the new thread, Cyan; that other one was getting long.

Great job, Lisa, on the weight loss with Atkins--that is wonderful!

Congrats, Miki, on getting off the plateau. It's so frustrating when you're stuck, but doesn't it feel extra great when you didn't give up, and it pays off in the end?

I've had such a week! I won't go into it, except to say that it was one rough one, and my day today consists of mixing my regular Saturday errands, plus a noon dance class for my youngest, with going in to work for short periods to help out because no one except one girl wanted to sign up to work today. Even the boss made plans for the day!!!

My clothes are getting looser, especially pants. I have these size 18 khaki jeans I've been wearing for about two years that I can't wear in public anymore because they are so baggy. Because I loved the cut, I tried to find the same jeans in a 16, but Wal-mart didn't have them anymore Now I'll have to actually go shopping for new khakis. Maybe the "shopping for clothes" experience will be a bit more positive even with the small weight loss progress I've made.

I walked 1 3/4 miles on Thursday--was all ready to do it yesterday, but it started pouring rain. One thing about the distance--that was my summer goal--1 3/4 miles--so I've achieved it, even though I haven't done it consistently.

Well, got to go. Have a happy long weekend everybody!!
Old 09-01-2003, 07:34 AM   #6  

Default On my way to USA.....

WEll, this is my last message from Taiwan for awhile. Though there is a typhoon at the present moment (never a dull moment here), we will be heading out to Taipei at 11am on Sep.2 and heading towards the USA 9am Sep.3 (that's 9pm Sep.2 EST).

I haven't been too consistent with the Xenical. I am right at 185, a little up from before, but oh well. The past week has been hectic so I am not worried. I am thinking of joining WW in the states. Not sure yet. Alot of people have been talking about the South Beach Diet too. We'll see.

Lisa and Miki and newbie you all are encouraging!!! that's great about losing. Nice Sep. beginning. Hopefully I can add some later. I will write you all when I get settled in the states.

Say a prayer the next few days. Thanks
Old 09-01-2003, 09:02 AM   #7  
Blooming Day by Day

Angry

Hi, all! The weather has turned sour here, so I am not having the gardening weekend I was hoping to--rain, rain, rain, rain!! Remnants from Hurricane Grace, the weather people say. I was hoping to restructure my flower garden because I've come to see that it is too big for me to care for properly. I did get started yesterday, but then it began to rain. I worked in the rain for about 3 hours. I transplanted about 1/4 of the flowers before I finally stopped. I'll have to work on it a little at a time this week in the evenings. I really need to get all the perennials moved ASAP because they need about 6 weeks to get established before 1st frost, which around here is about October 5-15. I love being in my flowers, though. It's really a great spiritual and creative experience for me.

Speaking of rain--Taiwan, take care with the weather coming home. There is some rough stuff near Hawaii these days.

I've got good news from the scale department. I lost another pound last week--I'm now at 161.5. (I'll be so excited to get below 160. I haven't been there in about 5 years.) And better than that--yesterday when hubby and I finally got to see "Open Range" (I enjoyed it--lots of killings at some points, but a good movie with interesting characters, an interesting plot, and a nice ending), I wore a pair of size 16 jeans that I could not wear 2 months ago!!!!! Actually I tried on two pairs I had, and they both fit!! That made me feel wonderful. I do have a little concern, though. I need to go to the grocery store and find some protein items that are good for a snack for me--maybe different from what I've been eating--for variety. I've awakened hungry in the middle of the night the last two nights, and Cheerios is what I've eaten. Now Cheerios aren't unhealthy, but carbs are a problem for ME, and I need to get some alternatives, so I don't stray from what I'm trying to do.

Well, I'm going to get going now. Take care, everyone. More later.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:11 AM   #8  
I will make it!

Angry Hello Ladies

Hope you all had a wonderful long holiday weekend...I had a great one...it was kind of strange having all this time off from work...i felt a little jittering not working on friday..like i was playing hooky or something....yeesh!

Anyway, I have been cycling regularly over the weekend and I hiked for 5 kms on sunday...so it has been a pretty active weekend.

Food wise, I have done pretty well too, staying within my limit of 1500 cals and 30 grams of fat...i think its time to weigh in again and see what the nasty scale says.

I tried on my size twelve jeans and they fit...I still think a little to snug but my friends say I am crazy and that I should wear them...I will wait until they are just a little looser...hopefully it will be the end of this month.

alrighty then...yes I am at work so I best get to it

Hey Taiwan...are you visiting the states or are you moving back to the states? and where will you be?

Have a safe trip and take care of you

big hug to everyone

Cyan
Old 09-03-2003, 04:37 PM   #9  

Default Remember me???

Hey Ladies,
Hope you are all doing well…I didn't have a computer connection at home all last week.
Cyan, thanks for starting a new thread.

Cyan, Good for you that you are keeping up with the calorie count and still on that bike.

Lisa,
What can I say, you are a true inspiration!!!!
What am I waiting for, I need to seriously get on that diet you are on! BUT, I am such a carb addict, I don’t know if I can go cold turkey!!!! Any advice you can give me, let me know!

Miki,
Congrats on breaking that plateau!!! I know how bad I want that feeling of getting out of the 190’s and I just can’t get myself there. But pretty soon! I will have the mindset to my butt back on track!

Taiwan,
Nice to see you are coming to the states. Good luck with whatever you decide to go on. I am gonna read up on that South Beach Diet…

Well,
I was out of work for 4 days and I also took advantage of the long weekend. And guess what I did.
ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY, NOTHING!!!!!!!!. That is right ladies, I didn’t nothing but hang out at home and rest. It was much deserved. I have been going for over 4 months now and I haven’t stopped, and I pulled out my WW books and I went and bought all my low point foods. And then, it happened!!!!!!!!!!!
My fridge broke down and all my fruits, veggies and meat went bad! This is just so typical of my life! But my landlord is going out to buy a new one and I will have it by Saturday, so it is eating out again this week. I have gotten to the point where I don’t even want to think about food.

I am having connection problems at home, so I will pop back in during the week at work.

Have a great day ladies. Take care.
Old 09-03-2003, 09:07 PM   #10  

Hello everybody!

Taiwan, sorry I didnt read your post in time to reply before you left out, but I hope you have a safe trip to the States. As soon as you're able, locate a computer and check in ok? We want to hear that you made it here ok.

Reina, I was just thinking about you today. I have no idea why, but driving home from work, you popped into my mind and I wondered how you were doing. Came home and here you were..lol Glad to hear from you! Sounds like you had just the weekend you needed. Hope you get the computer up and in good running order soon so we can hear from you more often.

Cyan, it's good to hear that you enjoyed your long weekend as well. A busy one but nice. How are your mom and dad doing these days?

Newie, try not to let the rain get you down. I know I start to get depressed if the weather stays bad for several days in a row. So far here, for the past week, we've had just quick little showers that only last a few minutes then it's over. Hasnt cooled things down at all. Supposed to be down to 60s this weekend. I'll believe it when I see it. And I hope they're right! Way to go losing another pound. Slowly but surely, we're gonna reach our goals.

Lisa, good luck on the drug calculation test. Check in again when you can.

Well all, better run. As usual, plenty to do before the nite is over.

Miki
Old 09-04-2003, 09:17 AM   #11  
I will make it!

Angry Good Morning Ladies

Hey Reina ... glad you checked in...sorry to hear about the fridge going south on you...my fridge did the same a few weeks ago...lost all of my food too...that sucks!! I hope you get back on your diet schedule soon and that you break out of that plateau.

I do my weigh in this sunday so I am hoping to see that darn scale move to the left!!

Does anyone know if Taiwan is moving to the states or just visiting the states?

Lisa good luck on your test...kick some butt

Miki....How is the diet going this week...have you been walking? And what does the scale tell ya....is it good news?

Newie...hope you are doing well and hope to hear from you soon

Well Ladies...as usual, I am at work so I best get going..we didnt have internet access most of the day yesterday due to a blown router...but we are live today...ok...big hug to everyone

later

Cyan
Old 09-04-2003, 12:23 PM   #12  

Good Morning Ladies....

Well, after reading my weightwatcher magazine yesterday, I am jumping back on the bandwagon! I am searching for a new location for meetings, but for now, I am just counting points... Come Saturday, once I fill my fridge, I will have better options, but for now, it will be Subway for lunch.....and Dinner, maybe....

Anyway, I am giving myself the ultimate goal.... I have 3 brand new pair of pants that are size 16, that I have had in my closet, get this!!!! For 5 YEARS! still with the tags on them. Nice dress pants. Well, I had Alex and need I say more... that is why they are still in the closet. Well since funds are kind of tight right now, and I need new dress clothes for work, I am making myself fit into these pants by my 1 year 3FC Anniversary which would be for all of us this october.. SO I have my work cut out for me this month!!!! CAN I DO IT? Let's Hope.....

Cyan, maybe I will start doing my weigh-in at home on Sunday's too.

Miki, Thanks for thinking of me!!! That happens to me all the time, you guys just pop in my head! We just all have that bond!!!Can you believe that most of us have been talking for almost a year??? I can't believe it... Has anyone heard from Lady?? I am still looking for her address, I know she sent me a message. I am searching my old files.

Hope you all have a great day!
Old 09-05-2003, 11:19 AM   #13  
Blooming Day by Day

Hi, everyone!! I'm not lost--just busy, of course. I'm home this morning, but have to go in about 3. It seems like something crazy has been happening every day. Yesterday my Kathleen (3rd grader) was sent home from school for being "sick". She had the very beginning of a cold. I told her yesterday to save the sick day for when she really feels sick, but she didn't listen. I had to leave work 30 minutes after getting there. Now that probably doesn't seem like something I should be upset about because I am a mother, and that's what it's about, except that Kathleen has done this several times before, so I was really angry with her. Today she is more under the weather than yesterday, but I sent her to school as a lesson. We also discussed the story of "the boy who cried wolf" and the problems it can cause. I gave her medicine for sniffles and aches, and told her to use tissue if her nose ran, but she had to get through the day. I then talked to her teacher about the whole situation.

Miki, I did get out in the yard Wednesday evening, and plan to do so again for a little bit this morning. I think I was so depressed about the weekend because I've felt very overwhelmed lately--tons of stuff going on--both good and bad, and I really NEEDED to get out there for mental health reasons. It just gets me away from all my responsibilities and troubles for a while. I am feeling somewhat better now, which is good.

I've considered eating during this stressful time, but I haven't. Actually I didn't really feel like eating much of anything at all, though I didn't skip any meals. And I think I am learning the lesson that if I eat lots of empty carbs, etc. when I am depressed or angry, I end up feeling worse than ever when I've finished. I know I'll consider eating something empty, and then I remember the consequences. Then it's not too hard to say no. I've done walking three out of five days this week. I skipped this morning because I'll be outside digging soon.

I've had lots of fun reading everyone's posts for the past few days, since I haven't been on line since Tuesday, I think. I feel sad for all the refrigerator breakdowns. Mine is 14 years old. I hope I'm not next. I asked hubby to clean ours this weekend. I hate that job!!!!! He doesn't seem to mind. Well, I've got to go. I'll try to keep better touch. Talk to you all soon.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:53 PM   #14  
I will make it!

Talking TGIF Ladies

I love friiiiiiiidaaaaaaaaaysssssss yipeeeeeeee...but before I know it...it will be monday again but today is friday!!!

Its not that I hate my job or anything like that...its just I love the idea of not having to report in anywhere ...it feels great!

I'm gonna go hiking again this sunday..its just so beautiful this time of year .... the air is crisp yet warm enough to be outside...the sun is bright...the sky is blue and the clouds are white....what a day...can't wait to get outthere.

I have been doing well foodwise so no complaints....I havent cycled in the past few days but I will make up for it tonight.

Newie..sorry to hear that you are a little down with all the stuff going on in your life...we are always here to listen so I you want to vent ... tell us all about it and we will listen.

Reina...you can do it so get pumped up! now is the time to meet your deadline...thos size 16 pants need wearing...so go get em on ...but wait till there not too tight...dont want them to be "puta" pants

Ok ..gotta go...have a grrrrrrrreat weekend everybody and stay OP

check back in monday morning

bye
Cyan
Old 09-05-2003, 09:34 PM   #15  

Hey ladies. How was everyone's week? Well, mine was okay, it had it's okay moments and not so okay moments. Last Saturday my daughter had to get 9 stitches in her face because her and her brother ran into each other! I took the stitches out yesterday (I'm quite the nurse!) and we are putting scar cream on to help reduce any scarring. I'm so worried about my little girl's beautiful face!

I flunked a test on Thursday so that kind of sucked. Oh well, better next time right? I must learn from my mistakes and keep on trucking!

The weather is beautiful here as well. Tomorrow I hope to get some yard work done.

I'm doing well on Adkins. I cheated a bit on Monday, but have been faithful ever since.

I guess that's all, so I'll go.... hint hint...I hope to have some fun news by the end of the month.

Lisa
Closed Thread