Old 09-12-2016, 05:53 AM   #16  

Good morning to you ladies. Drastic cool down overnight because of a cold front moving in, but it sure won't last. We are supposed to be in the 90's today. Jack has three more days of work before being off for the hand surgery so I hope they are easy ones for him. They worked in the blower building all last week which has no AC and he would come home exhausted every night just from the heat. I make him take water and get Gatorade and drinking it all day at work.

I have to clean the bathroom upstairs that hasn't gotten done yet. Tomorrow I will finish the upstairs and start downstairs and by Wednesday have the house all cleaned. That is the plan but whether that is what will happen, who knows?

Jack should be getting up in about 2 minutes to get ready for work. We were discussing all the things he is not going to be able to do one handed. You never think about how much you do with both hands.

Jack left my cane in a grocery basket at WM on Saturday and since I don't use it in the house, we didn't notice until we went to the commissary on Sunday and no cane. I was pretty mad at him yesterday all day about it. I had offered to put the groceries in the car on Saturday while he put the scooter back into the car, but ego made him say no he would do it so I reminded him to be sure and put my cane in the car as it was in the bottom of the basket. I got the, "I will," attitude like he didn't like being reminded so that is why I was mad at him. Part of all this is because he does not pay attention and gets mad at me when I get irritated about it. The older he gets the worse he gets. A few days ago I went in to put the laundry from the washer to the dryer and he had thrown dirty clothes in on top of the wet clothes. I called him on it and he always says the same thing to me that I'm not perfect either. I don't know why men are like that. They tend to ignore their wives talking to them then tell them they never told them such and such. With Jack it is that and the fact he doesn't pay attention to what he is doing. I guess he felt guilty about the cane since I had trouble the rest of the day getting around away from home. He at first didn't have success at getting it back, but he went to WM in the afternoon as we were coming back from dinner and they had it. I had ordered one right away and since I had Prime had it shipped so couldn't cancel it so I will have two now. I will keep one in the house and one in the car.

Jean: We were amazed as yesterday we went to check out and there were 5 cashiers open. We haven't seen that in years. I wondered if the incident two weeks ago sparked a lot of griping or maybe they got a new head cashier who actually does her job. I don't care, but I hope it continues. Our talk about meatloaf sounded so good I am fixing one tonight. It will heat up the kitchen, but nothing I can do about that. I kind of use both your methods. I warm my meatloaf up, but eat it in a sandwich. Hope all goes well with all the accounting.

Everyone have a great start to their week. I imagine a nap will be in my future today as my allergies were bad all day yesterday and I had trouble sleeping last night so I am pooped.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 03:38 PM   #17  

Good Afternoon! It's a beautiful day in my neighborhood, sunny, 77 degrees, with just a slight breeze blowing. We counted an hour later at church this morning so the morning went fast! We balanced on the first try and my figures balanced too. I was in hopes I would hear something from the hospital accountant but nothing so far. I hate playing "hurry up and wait!" I/we decided to forgo the fair trip today. I've had some things freeze in the refrigerator veggie drawer and Bob thought I had it packed too full. A few days ago I had olive juice freeze on the top shelf. This morning there was frost on the top back wall. Mr. Fixit went online and found three things that could cause that: the door seal isn't tight, the door wasn't closed tight, or a plugged drain line. Meanwhile, his farmer friend invited him to go look at a farm for sale. So much for his help! We bought this refrigerator in '03 so it could be on the way out I suppose. I hope not!

"Gma," I'm glad you got your cane back, but sorry you had to be without it when you needed it. I don't have to worry about Bob putting dirty clothes in the washer with clean clothes because he won't go near the washer! I suppose Jack just thinks he is trying to help you. I'm convinced men have selective hearing! Bob has practice at 4:30 today so supper, whatever it is, will be later. I still have meatloaf to get rid of! Right now nothing sound good to eat.

I have clothes in the dryer to fold so better keep moving. Hope you enjoy a nice evening!
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 09:42 AM   #18  

Good morning to you all. It is going to be hot again today and loos like lots of sun. It could back off about 10 degrees than stay that way and I would be happy.

I am going to start the downstairs cleaning in just a little while. I am in the middle of reading a book in a series I read and want to see what happens. So, if I have to hold off on cleaning, it is just going to have to wait.

Jack has today and tomorrow than he is off until sometime in December. He has to be at the hospital at 10 AM and the surgery isn't until 12:30. It takes 4 hours and you figure at least half an hour in recovery so poor man will be starved. I am taking some crackers with me so that when he gets back to the room he can eat something right away. I am going to get him some orange juice too as it will stabilize his blood sugar. He doesn't have diabetes but did have a hypoglycemic moment and few months ago when he didn't eat all day and I don't want that to happen again. I am taking sandwiches and snacks with me and even drinks so I don't have to be walking all over the place. I want to take my scooter in, but the we thought about after his surgery is over how will we get it back in the car so I am just going with my cane.

Jean: We never go to the fair here. In fact, I haven't been to a fair in decades. Our county fair back home is nice and that is the last one we went to so it must have been 20 yrs ago. Glad at least one of your money jobs came out right. Hopefully the accountant will get back with you soon. We have a policy that if we go out to eat and get something on ourselves that as soon as we get home we take it off and spray it with Shout and drop it in the washer. I am sure that is what he was doing, but he didn't pay any attention to the fact there was wet clothes in the washer. Yesterday he cleaned out his sock and briefs drawer and piled it all in the clothes basket to bring downstairs. I cleaned the upstairs yesterday so decided to bring down the basket. I slid it down the stairs and it tipped over and I had socks and underwear trailing down the stairs I had to pick up. I then had to sort through what was to go in the trash and what was new and needed to be washed. It was a mess. My little doll pendant and earrings came yesterday and she is really cute. They even put little satin undies on her under her dress.

Everyone have a good Tuesday.
Old 09-13-2016, 11:35 PM   #19  

Good Evening! It's been a long day and I'm heading to bed shortly. I spent the morning cleaning out the refrigerator! I was so embarrassed to see the grit 'n grime that had accumulated in the shelf tracks and drawers! It is squeaky clean now, and we think whatever the freezing problem was, it is fixed. There were vents in the bottom that may have just been plugged with ice drips. Bob stopped at the appliance store and the guy said usually the door hasn't been shut tight that causes the ice build up. The %#^}*+{]}[ accountant "made some notes" on the checkbook and gave it back to my "boss." She never did have the courtesy to call me. I will pick it up Thursday and wade through it again. I can print another copy of the statement so will have a clean slate, so to speak. We went to the first half of Ian's game and then headed down the interstate to see most of Maddy's game. Ian's team won in the last 4 seconds, 28-24, and Maddy's team won, 4-3, so it was a good night for both. I wore multiple layers and my winter coat! That is ridiculous for this time of year!

"Gma," I will be thinking of you and Jack on Thursday. I hope all goes well with his surgery. I'm glad you like your new necklace and earrings! The picture was sure cute.

I am heading to bed! See you tomorrow!

Last edited by Jean; 09-13-2016 at 11:37 PM.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:26 AM   #20  

Good morning to you all. It stayed in the 70's overnight last night so it started the morning off warm and humid.

I didn't get anything done yesterday and need to at least get started on stuff today. I haven't been sleeping well lately and I think it is catching up with me again. It happens when my allergies act up a lot and the pollen here is really high right now so they are giving me some trouble. Nothing major like some folks, but enough to keep me from getting a good night's sleep.

Jack called me around noon yesterday and said he thought instead of a sty he might have pink eye so I told him he needed to go to the minute clinic asap. He left work and went and though she wasn't sure it was that, she gave him the drops to put in his eye for a week. It is just one thing after another around here. Today is his last day then he is off tomorrow and the surgery is on Friday. He took tomorrow off as he needs to get some errands run before he has his surgery. They goofed up his FMLA paperwork so he had to have that redone. The stupid doctor wrote on his paperwork he would be out for a week even though he can't go back to work for 3 months. He just jumped to the conclusion it was workman's comp. Sheesh! Anyway, the surgery isn't until Friday.

I got my cane yesterday so now I have two. I will leave one in the car and one in the house.

Jean: Wow she really solved your problem by just making notes. Did she want to try and get you into trouble or what? I mean why wouldn't she just call you to come back and get it? I would bet it is because she didn't want to discuss it with you. What a jerk. Hope you can figure out what is wrong.
Glad the kids did well yesterday. Always nice to have a win. I saw yesterday where Yellowstone had a big snowstorm already. Hopefully it won't whack you somewhere down the line.

Everyone have a good day today.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:15 PM   #21  

Good Afternoon! It was 47 degrees when I came downstairs this morning! I sure don't want to start running the furnace yet, but I sure was tempted. It did warm up to 65 this afternoon but is clouding over now. I think we are supposed to get rain tonight. I had lunch bunch this noon, did a load of laundry before I went, and now waiting to go to bell practice.

"Gma," I hope Jack's eye is better today. Makes one wonder why things just can't go smoothly. Jason just called and Ian's Saturday game for Oct. 1st has been flip flopped with the 7th graders to this Saturday. Zowie's game is at 8 and we hadn't planned to go. We still won't go because Bob and Beth have a fishing date at the cabin if the wind cooperates. They are meeting Amanda's brother after the game to go camping. Keeping everyone's schedule straight is a challenge. I was thinking tomorrow was surgery day for some reason. I haven't heard anything about snow. I'm hoping we don't have any until January! Bob is taking over snow plowing duties for his farmer friend who is having shoulder surgery as soon as harvest is over. Crops are coming along but too much rain will bring harvest to a halt before it ever gets started.

I need to change clothes and be on my way. Hope you all enjoy a nice evening!
Old 09-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #22  

Good Evening! We have a major rain, thunder, lightning, and a few hail stones storm moving through. It started raining mid afternoon, and began to pour an hour later, and has been pouring ever since. Bob's pickup started doing crazy things on the way home so he turned around and headed back to the dealership. He just had it in two days ago but everything checked out on the computer. Between that visit and today, a recall has been issued! This dealership doesn't loan vehicles so we are down just to my car. Meanwhile, back at the ranch, I got a phone call from the appliance store that my microwave has been recalled! The guy didn't have any details yet but thought they might be exchanging it for a new one. I've only had it a little over a year. I went to get my nails done this morning, then stopped by WM where they are rearranging merchandise again, and went to craft club this afternoon. Bob forgot his camera in the pickup so we went back after that and he offered to buy supper. We were supposed to have a meeting at church tonight but it was cancelled because of the storm. Crazy weather -- we don't need this rain now! Tomorrow we are heading back up north to watch the Homecoming parade; Ian is drum major for the band and Zowie is riding on the soccer team float.

Hope you are all dry and cozy tonight!

Last edited by Jean; 09-15-2016 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-16-2016, 08:08 AM   #23  

"Gma," thinking of you and Jack! 4.06" of rain here last night! We got up to water covering the floor in one basement room, and rivers running to the drain in the other. Thank goodness for a wet vac!
Old 09-17-2016, 07:06 AM   #24  

Good morning to you all! I am sorry I didn't get in here yesterday but it was just a nuts day.

We left here at 9:30 and got home around 6. I got him set up with a sandwich and drink and brought in the stuff from the hospital, gulped down something from McD's and ran back to the pharmacy for his pain meds. It was a horrible night.

He was warned even with meds it was going to be a long painful process and the doctor said yesterday that his thumb was one of the worst he has every seen. The joint was full of very large spurs and very inflamed and even pretty messed up. He had to do a more involved procedure, which means the pain in cranked up. I haven't had more than an hour's sleep because of his pain and I am so tired I can't see straight. I did a load of laundry so I can keep up on it because of the heaviness to take it upstairs and it is in the dryer. He is having a cup of coffee at the moment and I will fix him some breakfast in a bit. I am having to do pretty much everything for him as he can't open bottles or cans or take the caps off his meds so he has to wake me up every time he needs something. I told him I was going to put his pain meds in something he could get into like a plastic baggie.

I went out and unlocked the gate as I have a knee brace and crocket hooks coming today. Thank goodness for online ordering just so I don't have to leave the darn house today. It is rainy and wet and slippery here this morning.

Jean: Oh no, I sure hope the rain didn't ruin anything in your basement. Your vehicles didn't get pinged with the hail did they? Thanks for the good thoughts. It was hard sitting alone yesterday, but I called my girlfriend and talked to her for awhile and she made me feel better about it all. We have a Kenmore microwave that is probably 10 years old and still going strong. Hope the kids games all work out ok.

I will talk to you ladies later. I need to fix Jack some breakfast.
Old 09-17-2016, 09:50 AM   #25  

Good morning, ladies! It looks like our hot weather in the 90s is over. We are to be in the low 80s for the next week and maybe some rain the next couple of days. We need it!

Just been doing the same old stuff...going to the Y in the morning and housework and quilting in the afternoon and evening. I finished 2 charity quilts this week so that is a good thing. Next week I have 3 quilting bees so it will be a lot more fun. I need to get out some yarn and knit a pair of yoga socks for this winter. I noticed yesterday my feet were cold.

What do you think about sugar being the culprit for heart disease, diabetes, obesity and not fat. It looks like Dr. Atkins had it right all along. I know I feel so much better since I cut all sugar and artificial sweeteners out of my diet. I use whole milk, butter, and full fat cheese. It only takes a little to be satisfied where as when I ate low fat or no fat I was always eating too much because it didn't.

Donna, I'm so glad Jack's surgery is behind him and will continue to pray for it to be successful and his pain to abate. It's going to be hard for you for next next few weeks. Catch a nap whenever you can. It's too bad Kelly couldn't have come to sit with you. My allergies are terrible and giving me a cough from drainage so I feel for you. Did Jack's eve get better?

Jean, how you keep up with the kids' games is beyond me. You are such good grandparents to go to them. I hope the water didn't damage stuff in your basement. Our water table is so high we can't have basements and that is one thing I miss. At least I have a big attic.

Have a wonderful day!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 05:09 PM   #26  

Good Afternoon! The sun has finally come out of hiding after a gloomy, foggy start to our day. I have spent more hours working on the gift shop checkbook! I finally had to go back to June and find a double credit card entry! The buyers "have to" use the hospital credit card with one company so they claim. I used to have to OK payment but lately the charge just shows up on my bank statement with no explanation. By the time I track down an invoice, too much time has gone by, partial shipment, etc., etc., and it ends up in the checkbook twice, or in bits and pieces for the same order. It's been two weeks and too many hours trying to get a balanced report done for the meeting last week. Since I didn't go, I guess the president gave an estimate for a balance. Beth and Bob went up to the cabin for one last fishing trip, and to clean out the refrigerator. I hope they catch some big enough to add to the fish in the freezer and have a fish fry! The basement is dry in the one room; rivers are slowing down in the laundry room. I've done a couple loads of laundry and need to iron something to wear to church tomorrow.

"Gma," I, too am glad Jack's surgery is over! I was with you in thought yesterday even though I couldn't physically sit with you. I hope his recovery goes well and the pain pills help. The water in the one basement room is just puddles we vacuum up, and it's pretty much dry today. Nothing of any value gets wet, except table and chair legs. The laundry room has trickles that find the drain eventually so just annoying. As long as the sump pumps work we are in good shape! Both Ian and Zowie won their games this morning so they were happy campers. An 8:00 game is too darn early on a Saturday morning when we have to drive 2 1/2 hours to get there.

Susan, it's nice to see you today! I turned the furnace on the other morning! It was 47 degrees outside and 65 in the house. I haven't been paying close attention, but is Oprah now the WW CEO? We've gone back to butter quite some time ago, and never did use low fat anything else. It seems like the health industry does a flip flop every so often. The weather for the Homecoming parade was just perfect, sunny and warm. Ian looked very handsome leading the band; he happened to see Bob with the camera and gave him a big smile. Zowie had so much fun walking along with the soccer float and tossing candy. All of the classes were in the parade, the first being Class of 2029! All the sports teams and clubs, awesome high school band as well as the 7/8th grade band were having fun. Our local football team beat a Sioux City Catholic School last night for a record of 4-0 wins. Our football team has been pretty bad the last few years, a new coach came last year, and more wins.

I should make a grocery list and head to the store. My least favorite chore . . . after balancing a checkbook! Hope you all enjoy a nice evening!

Last edited by Jean; 09-17-2016 at 05:12 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:50 PM   #27  

Good Evening! The sun has slid down behind the trees in the back yard and it's getting dark. It was a nice day otherwise with no wind, warmer, and sunshine. Bob's group sang at early church and more people were there which was nice. It's been a catch up day around here; things I neglected while trying to sort through the checkbook mess.

Tomorrow is counting, chasing fur bunnies, dusting, and card club in the evening. Hope you all enjoy a nice evening and a marvelous Monday tomorrow!
Old 09-20-2016, 10:19 AM   #28  

Good morning ladies! Rain, which we need and 70s.

I have bee tonight.They are coming to do my roof tomorrow if the rain stops.

DONNA, I hope everything is going good. I worry since you haven't posted for a few days.

JEAN, I see you are busy, not that that is anything new.

I wish Maggie would post.

Have a great day!
Old 09-20-2016, 11:31 AM   #29  

Good Morning! It's a beautiful day in my corner of the world today, sunny and heading up to 80 degrees. The washer and dishwasher are doing their jobs and I just placed a card order for the gift shop. I need to go pick up my regular meds when I finish here. We are heading to Ian's football game after lunch. It's north of Sioux Falls so a longer ride by a half hour or so. The pipeline has created a major mud hole in one of the fields where Bob will be helping with harvest. The farmers are praying for no more rain! The furnace guy wanted to come tomorrow but I put him off until next week hoping the basement will dry up by then.

Susan, I hope the rain holds off for you so the roofers can come. I noticed a man and his wife putting on a new roof yesterday. There is no way we could do that! Bob hates heights and I sure don't want to be on the roof either. Have fun with your quilting friends tonight!

"Gma," hope you and Jack have a good day!

Maggie, where are you?

I need to get going. Hope you all enjoy your day!
Old 09-21-2016, 10:13 AM   #30  

Good morning, ladies! Only in the low 70s again today and its still raining. We had a total of 4.54 inches Monday and Tuesday. The intersection is flooded so I am not going to the Y today. No way I'm driving thru standing water. I imagine they will close schools early if the flooding gets any worse. We really needed the rain. Roofers are hoping to come Friday if it isn't raining and the ground isn't to wet for their ladders.

I went to quilting bee last night. One of our members moved to Boise ID and she always calls during bee so we can catch up. Another member and her husband go to England every August or September to buy car parts for some car that they quit making in 1966. He sells them on E-Bay and does well. She brought each of us a lovely silk scarf.

I plan on spending the day quilting and listening to an audiobook. I have a load in the washer now and I need to vacuum.

Donna, I hope Jack is healing well and you are holding up.

Jean, have you closed up your lake house already? It seems like summer started yesterday and here it is Fall.

Have a wonderful day.