Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 09:13 PM   #31  
Focus & Determination

S/C/G: 158.5/143/125

Height: 5'8"

Exercise
Morning walk with dog for 1hour and 15 minutes.

Meals

Breakfast: toast, hummus, lettuce
Lunch: black bean soup, tomato/mozzarello flat bread
Dinner-veggie fajitas

Renee-staying the same is better than gaining some weight. Maybe you are at a plateau for just a bit until you begin that downward spiral once again. Don't lose hope yet. Take it as something positive and just part of the transition before you see some success again.

Dee-How did you do this past week?

Ana-what is your hardest food to give up that you know isn't really good for you to eat? Mine is ice cream, only because I can never eat a little.

My weigh-in today shows down 3 lbs. Yippee!!!!! Come on ladies, I know you can do it too. Lets get moving to that new slim and trim healthy body that you know is hiding in there. We can do it. We will do it.

Last edited by Corinna T; 08-20-2016 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 06:25 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 226.4/224.4/175

Height: 5'10"

Exercise
1 1/2 hr. morning barn chores
washed a horse
1/2 hr. evening barn chores

Meals
oatmeal with blueberries
banana
steak sandwich
nectarine
leftovers and watermelon

Corinna - you did great!!!!! I will try harder this week....I will not give up!

Off to a horse show this morning. Have a great day everyone!
Old 08-21-2016, 04:35 PM   #33  
Focus & Determination

Exercise:
Walk with dog for 1 hr 30 minutes.

Meals:
Breakfast; celery with hummus
Lunch: Indian veggie patty, lettuce, toast, watermelon
Snack: Strawberry Fruit Roll
Dinner: mock fish, lettuce toast sandwich

Renee-keep at it. You can do it.

Dee-regarding your comments about Soy and Cancer, you may want to review these articles:

American Institute for Cancer Research
http://www.aicr.org/foods-that-fight...ww.google.com/

Because soy contains estrogen-like compounds, there was fear that soy may raise risk of hormone-related cancers. Evidence shows this is not true. Soy’s possible effects on health is an active area of research.

================================================== =====

Susan G.Komen
http://ww5.komen.org/KomenPerspectiv...astcancer.html

Does soy increase the risk of breast cancer?

If there’s one solid conclusion from all the data on soy and breast cancer, it’s that eating moderate amounts of soy foods very likely does not increase the risk of breast cancer. The majority of high-quality studies and analyses have found that soy foods do not increase risk, even when eaten at levels much higher than those typically seen in the U.S.3-4

Does soy lower the risk of breast cancer?

Although there are not enough data to know whether soy may help protect against breast cancer, many studies suggest that it does.3-4 However, it seems the benefit only comes with a pattern of intake that is seen in most Asian countries, where women begin eating soy early life and eat it in amounts many times greater than typically seen in the U.S.4 In Japan, for example, soy intake ranges from 25 mg to around 50 mg per day. In the U.S., intake ranges from less than 1 mg to 3 mg per day.5

Results from an analysis that combined findings from multiple studies in Asian populations found that women who ate high amounts of soy had a 25 percent lower risk of breast cancer compared to those who ate lower amounts.6 When the same analyses were done in studies of U.S. and other Western populations, there was no link between soy and breast cancer risk.6

As a survivor, is soy safe?

Though the estrogen-like properties of soy seem like they could increase the risk of breast cancer recurrence or mortality (death), current studies suggest that eating moderate amounts of soy foods is safe for breast cancer survivors.7-9

As a survivor, does soy improve survival and lower the chances of recurrence?

Current evidence suggests that a diet high in soy may improve survival and lower the risk of recurrence in women with breast cancer.7-9 The benefits don’t appear limited to Asian populations either.

One analysis combined data from three large, long-running studies of survivors from both Asian and Western countries. It found that women who ate at least 10 mg of soy per day after a breast cancer diagnosis had a 25 percent lower risk of recurrence compared to those eating less than 4 mg per day.9 .................................................. ......................................

.................................................. ...........
Summary

There’s been a lot of study on a possible link between soy and breast cancer. Current research suggests that eating soy at higher levels typically seen in Asian countries may lower the risk of breast cancer. Eating moderate levels of soy may also lower the risk of recurrence and mortality in breast cancer survivors, but more studies are needed to confirm these findings.

In moderation, soy can be part of an overall healthy diet that focuses on more plant-based foods and less red meat.

What is Komen doing?

According to Komen Scholar, Carol Fabian, M.D., Professor, Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Kansas Medical Center, “After more than three decades of asking questions about the role of soy in breast cancer risk and recurrence we still do not have the answers. Thus Komen’s role in funding research on soy and other weak estrogen-like substances in plants is very important. It is possible that the soy may help prevent breast cancer if soy ingestion is started at a young age, but the primary concern has been in postmenopausal breast cancer survivors and the potential for soy to have an estrogen like action on the cancer cells if any remain. Although research is ongoing, there is little evidence to suggest that there is danger in consuming moderate amounts of soy in food even for survivors. However, until more is known it is probably best to avoid soy supplements after a breast cancer diagnosis.”

Komen has invested more than $3.3 million in research investigating the effects of soy, and its components, on various aspects of breast cancer. Studies include:

Determining how soy effects breast cancer risk, including studies on high soy or soy-supplemented diets.
Testing whether soy, or its active components can protect against genetic damage and prevent the development of breast cancer.
Testing whether soy can enhance the effectiveness of breast cancer treatments or prevent drug resistance.
Old 08-22-2016, 05:44 AM   #34  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

Hi everyone,
My eating over the weekend was off, I skipped meals & I grazed because of our frequent rain. Dh & I watched TV & napped.

Corinna, Thanks for the soy info. Trying to keep up with current data has to be a continuous circle for the doctors to read while treating their daily patients. It's nice to read when food is healthy instead of harmful. I remember when studies said to limit eggs to 4 weekly also, red meat is harmful, etc. There are errors within all studies because everyone is a individual with their own genetic code. Don't eat this & that Just like the childhood vaccination disagreement about autism.

My Dh had leukemia & had a recurrence 4 yrs later that gave him a 1-2 week survival death sentence, but a new drug that had just been approved saved his life. He's in his 7th year of remission this time, from taking that drug daily & if he stops taking it he has a 60% chance the cancer will take control again killing him.

We make our own choices for our individual lifestyle & health. There are foods that everyone doesn't like the taste of & also foods that affect a individuals health differently. I respect everyone's decision for themselves, it's their body & life to enjoy.

Renee, I found grooming horses very enjoyable I wish that I could've spent the day with you & at the horse show. How about sharing some horse photos here with us

I hope everyone has a beautiful day

When I do errands today my goal is to not eat fast-food, to eat when I get back home. I wish I had apple slices to take with me or some nuts & raisins...
Old 08-22-2016, 06:48 AM   #35  

Exercise
1 1/2 hrs. morning barn chores
walking for 3 hrs. at the horse show
1 hr. evening barn chores

Meals
oatmeal with blueberries
banana
egg sandwich
crockpot roast with veggies

I had the best horse show ever! We won grand champion miniature halter and grand champion miniature division! And I was home before the rain came. Doesn't get better than that! I have a busy week...going to a fair today, judging the floral exhibits at another fair tomorrow and getting a new kitchen floor on Wednesday. Life is good!
Old 08-22-2016, 09:27 PM   #36  
Focus & Determination

Exercise
1 hour jog with dog
30 minutes on bike

Meals
Breakfast-berry drink
Lunch-bean burrito
Dinner-Indian spiced veggie patty, lettuce, mustard, toast
Snack-watermelon

Renee-that is terrific about the horse show!! Fantastic!!
Who did you show, Steel, Mini, both or one of the others?
Sounds like you are having a terrific week.
I hope your kitchen floor gets installed quickly and smoothly.
How exciting for you. Have fun judging at the fairs.

Dee-I am glad that your husband was able to find an alternative drug
to help him fight the cancer and help him stay in remission.

Little snack packs of nuts & raisins are very helpful in those times
when you need a quick snack when you get hungry. I try to keep something in my purse just to have when I miss a meal or may eat late. It helps me avoid getting a migraine and eating things I shouldn't. They are a good item to put on your grocery list.

Last edited by Corinna T; 08-22-2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-23-2016, 06:15 AM   #37  

Exercise
walked 13.535 steps at the fair

Meals
oatmeal with blueberries
banana
hamburger
leftover spaghetti and corn on the cob

Corinna - I showed Steel. It was a huge show and he was awesome. I have about 5-6 more shows this season. I noticed he's already getting his winter coat, hope it doesn't come in too fast or he will look like a yak at the last few shows. I won't body clip him this late in the year.
Off to a local fair this morning to judge the flowers, then I need to move my washer, dryer, stove and fridge and clean under them before the flooring gets done tomorrow. Lord knows what I'll find under them!

Dee - It's wonderful that your husband is in remission.

Very cool here at 49 degrees. Feels refreshing! Have a great day everyone!
Old 08-23-2016, 08:48 PM   #38  
Focus & Determination

Exercise
1 hour jog with dog
30 minute bicycle ride
Climbed 8 flights of stairs twice

Meals
Br-Berry Drink
Lu-Vegetables and rice
Di-Broccoli, hummus, bean burrito

Renee-
  • Steel is a definite champion. Your hard work has paid off with him.
  • So you have an pedometer. That's great. If an average person has a stride length of approximately 2.1 to 2.5 feet, then that means that it takes over 2,000 steps to walk one mile. So 13,535/2000=6.77 miles.
  • You are still doing good with your meals too, even while being at the Fair.
  • When we moved into the house here, we put in a new oven and refrigerator. When we pulled the old ones out, it was quite scary to see. I don't think anyone has ever cleaned under them for the last 15 years. We even found 5 cat toys lodged into the base and back of the refrigerator. Luckily there wasn't any animal remains.

Dee-I hope you are staying on track. You can do this. Try to stay focused. Just shoot for those mini weekly goals and it will all add up.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:44 AM   #39  

Exercise
moved kitchen appliances and scrubbed the floor
12,674 steps at the fair

Meals
oatmeal with banana
pretzel
barbecue sandwich
rice a roni with veggies

Waiting for the floor installer to arrive. I picked out a sicilian marble tile. Hope I like it! Looks like a beautiful day!

Corinna - I have a FitBit One. I usually average 10,000-11,000 steps a day.

Last edited by Renee3; 08-24-2016 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 08:46 PM   #40  
Focus & Determination

Exercise
30 minute walk with dog
1 hour walk at grocery store
Climbed 8 flights of stairs twice

Meals
Br-berry drink
Lu-beans and greens
Di-bean and cheese burrito, veggie nuggets

Renee-you are getting in some good walking at the fair. Sounds like fun.
That Fitbit One is keeping you on track and doing good.
Your tile choice sounds nice. Hope it wasn't too bad a job cleaning.
I'm expecting some family to visit tomorrow after work, so I may be
limited on exercise tomorrow. I went grocery shopping today to be prepared.

Last edited by Corinna T; 08-24-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:19 AM   #41  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

Hello girls all summer we just got rain showers about 5 times. For the last 3 weeks we've had 6 showers & we have several important outdoor work projects on our home that must be done by Dh asap... Life

Renee to your beautiful horses. They sure Love you lots to show the judges your dedication. Great job with your daily steps I got a gray Fitbit Charge 2 yrs ago & for Mother's Day this year Dh got me the Alta in plum that has changeable color bands, I got 3 colors on Amazon @ $8 each. I always wore a watch daily, but I enjoy these so much more with the extra features & have support & do challenges with Fitbit friends Your recent meals are very small, I hope you are taking a calcium plus vita D also, because after 50 yrs old our bodies need more. Your new tile sounds beautiful, what color scheme is your kitchen?

Renee & Corinna are you 50 yrs old yet... I'm 62 & my hubby is 52, but during our 20 yr marriage he's barely aged so that's not fair that our men stay handsome, but they don't go through pregnancy like we do so I feel blessed with our kids.

Corrina for your activities! I wish I could still run too, my arches have gotten flattened & it's difficult finding sneakers with good arches to run. Our 2 GoldenDoodles are my walk buddies. I add flax & chia seeds to my fruit smoothies with some spinach & sometimes protein powder or cinnamon How do you do yours? Veggie nuggets, sounds interesting & yummy I'll try them What's your brand or do you make them?

My last few days of meals:
Breakfast: eggs on whole grain muffins. Oatmeal with chopped apple inside.
Lunch: egg salad. Egg salad sandwich on whole grain muffin.
Suppers: nachos with peach salsa. Grilled chicken basted with jalapeno-peach jelly & corn on the cob.
Snacks: 1 glass of Moscato wine. Grilled pineapple. M&M fun size.

I'm down a pound this week

We're doing wonderful
Old 08-25-2016, 06:47 AM   #42  

Exercise
weeded in the garden

Meals
oatmeal with banana
granola bar
1/2 Subway hoagie
taco salad

Dee - you did good! I'm 62 and DH is 63,

Floor installer needs to come back this morning and finish up. I love it! Really lightens up my room.
Going back to the fair tonight to listen to music.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:37 PM   #43  
Focus & Determination

Exercise
Climbed 8 flights of stairs twice.

Meals
Br-Berry Drink
Lu-bean and cheese burrito with lettuce, tomato, and avocado
Sn-mini piece of yellow cake at farewell party
Di-grapes, pea snaps (light dinner to make up for cake and limited exercise)

Renee-I'm glad you like your new floor. Enjoy the music at the fair.

Dee-congratulations to you for losing a pound! Good work! I'm in my mid-50's
and growing younger every day in my mind, but older in my body. LOL. My
breakfast drinks are ready made and Bolthaus or Naked brand. My veggie
nuggets are Morning Star Farms brand. I usually only make food from scratch
on the weekends. I don't have time to prepare anything during the week after
work. Wish there was more time in the day.

Didn't get too much exercise today. Expecting company so getting house prepared
and hoping they arrive this evening.

We are doing good ladies. Keep at it!

Last edited by Corinna T; 08-25-2016 at 09:39 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:32 AM   #44  

Exercise
laundry

Meals
oatmeal with banana
leftover sub from Subway
plum
shrimp scampi and sugar peas

Need to go grocery shopping,the fridge is bare. DH is off today so I don't know what else is planned. Keep up the good work everyone!
Old 08-26-2016, 08:24 PM   #45  
Focus & Determination

Exercise
Morning walk with dog, 1 hour
Evening walk with dog, 30 minutes

Meals
Br-Berry Drink
Lu-tomato and bread bruschetta, spinach salad
Di-veggie fajitas with multi=grain chips

Will this be a good week or bad week?!? We can do this ladies.
We can and we will. Keep your focus. Think slim to win.

Last edited by Corinna T; 08-26-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Closed Thread