Old 06-29-2016, 03:14 PM   #106  

Afternoon all. I’ll try to make this quick since all of a sudden it’s quarter-end and there’s those schedules to do on top of everything else.

Happy – Glad you’ve got some time today to do stuff around the house, especially taking care of those fruits before they go bad! I also want to see “The Secret Life of Pets”.

Ceejay – Glad you enjoyed your reunion, all the better that your two best buddies were in attendance. Wow, you’re moving into a large place – that’s bigger than your current one, right??

Shad – Well, you’re sure getting around with this job. Too bad you’ll miss the zoo in Dubbo. How time flies – little S is turning 4 already! I like the suitcase idea.

Dee – I’m a lefty. However…I do many things right-handed. Throw, bat, bowl, use scissors & adding machine. Had to think about which hand I use for other things, lol. Yes, I use a knife for food prep with my left hand. I hold a fork in my left hand, knife in my right. Not sure of the etiquette of that because I don't switch anything as per whatever etiquette rule that it. Haven't thought about that in a long time. Anyway... I think if you use your left hand enough, you'll certainly gain dexterity with it.

Hellos to the rest of you!
--
Nothing much to report. I lost my !@#$% fitbit yesterday. I wore jeans to work and had the fitbit inside an old terry wristband I wore on my ankle. The opening was facing my skin, but the fitbit still managed to wiggle out of there. I checked the train’s lost and found, but nothing. I didn’t really expect anything, and it could have been lost just about anywhere – I didn’t even know it was gone until just before I left work. Oh well, that’s that. I’m feeling a bit guilty about losing it, but I don’t think I’ll really miss it all that much. It was just another thing to keep charged. I’ll put a fresh battery in my pedometer and start using that again.

Went to the library for a few books last night. And I still have the Wall-E and Fargo dvd’s to watch. Tonight I have a hair appointment.

That’s all, so I’ll post this and get back to work.
Laura705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:25 PM   #107  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Holy cow, just noticed the time, no lunch for the weary. Gotta get this place wrapped up, will post tomorrow...just FYI...9 months sober yesterday. Whew who. Chat later.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 03:47 PM   #108  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Annie - congrats on your (is it sober-versary???) yesterday. Yay for you! Life is sometimes out of control. Kudos to you for fighting the good fight and doing what you can, hard as it may be. So very proud of you sister

Laura - arrrrrrggggghhh on losing the Fitbit Hope you find it. Good to know you are a lefty also. We can sit next to each other at dinner and never bash hands I always look at the table placement when I'm with more than just DH at a restaurant.
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 04:55 AM   #109  
Sandee

Height: 5' 2"

Hi y'all darn heat makes me restless at night. I wish that Happy would market her Energy Secrets on Shark Tank, I'd buy a lifetime supply & get everything accomplished & fall asleep like a baby But then would we all look similar to her like the Minions family that could get a little confusing for us living in the Commune b a n a n a

Ceej, How awesome that your Class Reunion was fun w seeing your besties again. Where did you decide to retire at, in Arkansas or near your family out-of-state? Is your bff having a meltdown about your retirement I hope that your job/boss gives you a well-deserved, generous in appreciation Thank You gift. You're so sweet that I'm sure there will be a hug & happy tears saying goodbye to them. I look forward to reading your posts when your retirement adventure begins

Time to try falling back to sleep now or my Dh will take my Kindle back off my nightstand again. He caught me awake last night at midnight playing a game
miniDoodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 08:45 AM   #110  
Annie - Indiana

Morning All....

Easy evening, ordered a pizza for dinner. Sis went to dinner with a GF, Chris took the boys for the night. It was QUIET all evening long. C and I just relaxed in bed with Sassy. Sassy seem very happy too!

Got the spreadsheet built for the new monthly report of the same information we report on only in a different format. OMGoodness, repetitive. I really don't like working with formulas and such as I don't do it often enough to stay on top of it. At least it is done, now to start reporting next week. Bleh. It has been a long couple of days. My friend, Jeff, here at work, retired today. He is so much fun and I will miss him. He and his husband just got married in December. He is the co-worker that went through heart bypass just after I went through stents. I am running out of fun people here at work. Thank God my boss is a blessing rather than a butt.

HAPPY...Thank you for the beautiful cards. I actually smiled rather than crying when reading such sweet, kind words and the lil doxie pen. We all loved that one. I didn't bring it to work to sit on my desk rather I sat it on the window sill with my other cherished lil items. You are such a sweet sister. DH isn't bad either! Thanks on the congrats on my 9 mos! It has all been such a great blessing and ride. I love the program, meetings and people. Everyone should attend these meetings. Sober or not. We had a peach truck come through but didn't get around to getting there. Someone posted on FB in our community chat that something to the effect that they were sling peaches rather than stone something peaches and you would have to be crazy to pay 39.00 for a batch. Not sure what all that means and I would have been clueless to that, glad I didn't go get any. Looks like the commune will have to have ramps for our scooters. I am going back and forth on this ankle surgery, ultimately I know I will have it, but just dreading going through it all. Can you sit on a stool at the register at the shop? I know it all doesn't happen at the register and you have to do a lot of stocking, straightening and BS, but maybe you should sit a spell now and then. Love DHs flower pix he has posted on FB. You, DH and SHAD need to get that book going.

LAURA...boo on the fitbit. That is some $$ to lose. Yikes. When I don't wear mine, I mostly miss having the clock for time. I mean I cannot really get all the steps in as I cannot walk without cringing in pain, so I don't walk as much. Let me know how you like Wall-E, I have not seen it yet.

CEEG...how many days left? Are you retiring the first part of August or the last? I forget the date...what is it again? Glad you had fun at your reunion. That should put a happy spot in your heart.

DEE...I broke my ankle in two, shattered it in 3 places when I was 9 mos preggers for my son, 28 years ago. It is now bone sitting on bone with advanced arthritis. The surgery is August 11. Scraping out of the arthritis, then fusing the bones together and placing a metal "L" shaped piece in the front of my ankle to my foot. Not looking forward to this at all. No electronics at night if you want to get back to sleep.

SHADDIE...how do you keep track of coming or going? It would make me nuttier than I already am.

Hello to CHELLE, get to posting here sister.

Hugs all.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:46 PM   #111  
Choose your hard

Good morning everyone,

Last couple of nights - in the low 40's at night. Brrrr. Good sleeping and it's been excellent going in the hot tub but still folks - this is not summer weather! I'm not sure how my garden will do. I have really big strawberries that look like they will be ready to start picking tomorrow. The tomatoes are small and spindly - not warm enough for them to flourish. The cucumbers are sad looking - yellow leaves. I had a couple of blossoms on my zuchinni but they withered out - first time for me for zuchinni so not sure if that's what happens when the fruit starts of if they are lousy too. The arugula is growing a bit but flowering so I am trying to keep it from bolting - made DH a salad last night - he said it was delicious. I need to get some sand and get my carrots out of the container and into the ground. Because it's been on the cool side, I still have cilantro. Going to try a rhubarb salsa today. DH came home from the store with what he said were 2 beautiful steaks. Turns out it's sirloin which is not my favorite. It's very lean which means dry and sometimes tough. It's raining today so I will probably make steak bites out of one of the steaks - not sure what I will do with the other - they are HUGE cuts of meat. One piece would have been more than enough for both of us for a meal. Tomorrow we want to try a new place for fish fry and I have a taste for that so maybe I will just freeze the second piece of meat for stir fry next week. DH did bring me home some California rolls (sushi) which I thoroughly enjoyed.

My leg was killing me so badly I called the doctor. I had the choice of a second shot or an MRI next week. I said the first shot did nothing (they could not get it in the spot it needed to be because it's so painful). I said it's 3 times as painful now so for sure you can't get the shot in there and why bother with the other side. As for the MRI I am horrifically claustrophobic - you ain't getting me head first into a tube. The nurse checked and said they can put me feet first, I'd go in up to boob level but as long as my head is sticking out and I can see around me, I'm ok. I also have Valium which I get when I fly in case I get freaked in the airplane. I hope they mean chest level, not chest level for an average height person which I am certainly not - I know you have to be positioned deep enough for the magnet to read the tissue. I did some reading on a meniscus tear and how to treat it and so far everything I tried was consistent. I did order a new bottle of Watkins white liniment which came yesterday. I iced my knee while talking to Mom, then went into the hot tub but did not turn the jets on. Just did a nice soak in my "big tub" came out and stunk myself up with the liniment and went to bed smelling of camphor and turpentine. Kept the cats away from me. I feel a bit better today but getting up from a chair and stairs are still difficult. I have to go for a B12 shot today. I forgot how frequently I was supposed to go but thank goodness for my blabbing on 3FC - I went to past posts and found what I needed - every other week I am still going to bingo tonight - my buddy asked if I can cover him while he attends a Lions Club meeting so I said ok. Most everything I can do sitting, D will just have to get up and check the bingos. I hope we have a bigger crowd tonight. It's not a great day for being outdoors. People are probably starting to come up for the weekend. I would love to watch the fireworks from on the water on the pontoon but that would mean undocking in the dark of night and I'm not sure either of us is ready for that. Mosquitoes are getting rather bad at night anyway. I went out to feed the deer yesterday and got 4 bites in 5 minutes.

Anne - glad you got the package and that the doxie did not break. I was nervous about that. I thought it was cute. Glad you got a smile from it - sorry I was so behind in my timing. As for peaches - there are basically 3 kinds - white peaches whose flesh is very pale - they are specialty peaches. All yellow peaches are either freestone or clingstone which means either they come away easily from the pit (freestone) or they cling to the pit with a death grip and you cannot cut them away easily and separate the flesh from the pit (clingstone - "clings" to the stone (pit) ) Thanks to Shad I had never heard of stone fruit which is the general term of any fruit that has a large pit (peach, plum, apricot, etc). Up here clingstone fruit are usually the first to show up in the store. I get fooled because they look pretty from the outside but often are mealy and they are hard to cut up because of the clingy pit. I prefer freestone - the flesh to me is smoother and they seem to be more juicy. The peaches I got this week are freestone. I tried one yesterday - probably about 3 days from being ripe enough. They would have been good for grilling or baking a tart at this degree of firmness. I was disappointed - they are not as sweet as I remember last year although as DH said, maybe they need a few more days to ripen up. One of the customers had commented on their website that they found them not as sweet and harder to peel. I will just have to add more sugar to the simple syrup when I can them. They are very peachy tasting though.

There I go yammering again...

If you hurt your foot that long ago, it's probably had lots of time to build up the arthritis. Are you going to get one of those knee scooters after surgery? At least you can get around. I think that's handier than just trying to do crutches. Get a walker so you can lift yourself off the toilet and get in and out of the shower. Believe me, it helps to be able to lean on something! And I think you are better to go through it not in the winter when there is a greater chance of slipping and sliding. My buddy at the shop needs the same surgery and he is avoiding it probably for the same reasons as you - the immobility although he wrecked his new knee replacement because of ankle problems and is hobbling around like a troll so I can see his pain. I can't really sit at the register but I do work with someone - it's too hard to sit and cashier as you have to constantly reach over the counter to ring their purchases and you have to wrap/bag things - too awkward to sit. I am able to sit and do my administrative work while my partner rings things up - sometimes we trip over each other if we are both trying to ring at the same time so one backs off and lets the other run the register. Thank you for the comments on the pictures - DH just glows when someone compliments him. Photography has done a lot for his deeply embedded lack of self esteem. I'm sorry you are losing a fun work buddy - that means a lot to have someone you enjoy and can feel comfortable venting with. It also helps a whole lot that you have a good boss - they are getting harder to find as the company usually pushes them out in favor of the ones who are slave drivers who are driven by the size of their bonus vs being good to their staff. I used to hate the formulas on the spreadsheets too but the more you work with it, the faster you get at it. I used to be really good at pivot tables and had to do one about a month ago - took me half the day to figure it out again.

Dee - I wish I had Energy Secrets to sell Mostly it's just pushing to get things done - just like we all do. We have a lot of strong women, will be a period of adjustment when we all come together in the commune as we will all be trying to give each other orders Eventually the rest of us will get tired and someone will be the last one standing and can be the leader. I agree with Annie - no electronics before bedtime (says the person who is on her computer right until she lays her head down ) The last couple of nights I instead sat in a chair and read these big cookbooks I have and fell asleep in the chair so maybe there is something to that light theory.

Laura - curious what you think about the Wall-E movie. I heard that was the new E.T. of it's kind. Never saw it myself. What are you going to do about the missing Fitbit?

Hello to the other chicks. I need to go finish making my strawberry rhubarb bars that I was too tired to make yesterday. I had some donuts getting stale that I wanted for bread pudding. DH saw them and asked why he could not have one. One leads to 2 leads to 3 and then nothing for pudding LOL Gotta make that salsa too to set and let the flavors blend and change bedsheets and get some laundry done and the steak cut up and seasoned for tonight. Have a good day all...
Old 06-30-2016, 01:09 PM   #112  

Hello all. Another nice day here, though I think we’re forecast for some rain this afternoon. I have my umbrella with me.

Annie – Big congrats on your 9 months sober!!! I’m glad you, C & Sassy had the house to yourselves last night and had a nice quiet evening. Wow, thought bf and I were the only ones who hadn’t seen Wall-E, or most of those other cute Pixar movies.

Happy – The fitbit is gone. I put it in the wristband right before I left for work that morning and that was the last time I knew I had it. It was definitely lost outside the house, so it’s a goner. Ha ha, yes, no need for jockeying to get the most lefty-friendly spot at the table when it’s just us lefties. This was many years ago now , but it might have been the last dinner at which all my siblings and parents were present, and I clearly recall the three of us lefty siblings (4 sibs total) trying to get our ideal spots at the table. Hmmm, how did two right-handed parents end up with three lefty kids?!

Dee – Sorry you had a restless night. No fan or AC going in the bedroom? We’ve had lovely sleeping weather the past three nights, plus the ceiling fan adds just the right amount of air movement.

Ceej – How’s your new work schedule going? Do you now work 12-hour days? Can’t recall if that’s the case. At least if you don’t like it, you will be able to bear it because it won’t be all that much longer!

Susie – How are you stranger? You must be pretty busy. Thank goodness for a long weekend coming up, right??

Hi Michelle – I saw on FB that Santa’s recovering from an injury. Hope he’s soon all better and back to his usual self.

Hi Shad!!
--
Nothing much for me. I had my hair appointment last night – just a touch up. My girl is very pregnant, and she’s not due until the end of August. She said once she hits the “safe” point in her pregnancy, she’ll be doing whatever she can (old wives tales, etc) to get that baby to come out, LOL. Anyway, next month’s appointment might be my last one with her for a while.

I did a BE workout this morning. The boss is back in the office but I haven’t seen him at all so far. Must be busy catching up.

Okay, I’m gonna post this and get outside for some lunch.

Happy - You were typing over my head! I'll have to catch up with you later!
Old 06-30-2016, 06:06 PM   #113  

Happy – Curious how the strawberries will turn out – have you ever grown them before? Are they perennials? Too bad about the mixed results on the rest of your garden. I have to remember to snip the blooms off of my Thai basil. Re the MRI – assuming you have to travel out of your area to get that done anyway, couldn’t you seek out one of those “open” MRI machines? I think I’ve had one or two MRI’s a while back and recall the noise being just awful. And having to stay still. Being in the tube itself didn’t bug me much. Still, not a fun time. Re peaches, yup, love the freestone variety. I recently had some early peaches from GA, but they ended up being the clingstone ones, what a PITA. Re the missing fitbit - not going to buy anything just yet. I’ll just go back to my pedometer for now.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:36 PM   #114  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Lost my post due to the computer. It's phasing in to about 30 then up to 400 in size. I can't handle this.

Laura
Not sure what is happening to the Fitbit's. Your's is gone, Susie has lost hers and now mine is gone.

------
I have 8 weeks left to work. I'm getting excited and nervous at the same time. Retirement date is August 31st. They still haven't hired anyone that I know of. I will start my 4 day week on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. I'm not liking it at all and told my sibling that I'm thinking about just quitting but I'm not giving them that satisfaction. I have a 104 hours of vacation time and I'm thinking about taking that at the end of August.
Going tomorrow to the doctor to get my b12 and have lab work done to see if the d&c has helped my anemia. I didn't go last week to help bff get her groceries nor did I go Wednesday to take her to her early morning dr's appointment. She's going to have to get used to doing that herself. I did text her this morning to see if she needed anything but when I told her I couldn't stay then she decided that she could do it herself. She did tell me that she had been talking to her insurance company to see if they could get her some help. I think she's been trying to get me to change my mind about going and to stay and help her. Not doing that.
Going to post so this crazy thing will not make me lose another post.

Last edited by ceejay52; 06-30-2016 at 10:36 PM.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 07:44 AM   #115  
Annie - Indiana

Happy Holiday Friday...well SHADDIE, you can celebrate in spirit.

Went to my big book workshop last night. Very interesting, about making amends (step 9). We also got into a lot of other people we should probably make amends to but have not come to grips with making yet. The good thing is we have the rest of our lives to do it. A couple of us, me included, should probably think about making amends to our XDHs. Me and my smart mouth said maybe after he dies then I will make a grave side amend, rather than now and in person. That is some kind of wrong thinking, I am sure. I did get a chuckle from others on that one however they do not know how serious I might really be. Sis had all the laundry done when I got home. Load of dress clothes, load of towels, all folded, hung and put away and even a load of her own. I am sure my water bill is going to go sky high. With the extra bathing, running the dishwasher every day, laundry, and me caving to the kids running through the sprinkler for about 20 minutes, the water bill is sure to go up. Sam has already started applying for jobs on-line, hopefully something will come through. She has office experience and can do all the Microsoft apps, also has office mortgage experience. Fingers crossed.

CEEG...I would take all my vacation too if I were you. If you opted to get paid for it rather than taking it, vacation pay gets taxed at a higher rate, or at least it used to. I would be so dang excited about retiring, I would nearly pee my pants. I am so happy for you!

LAURA...hmmm, tell your hair dresser that jumping off the coffee table does not make the baby come out. I did that with Sam. lol. Nor does riding the mower to cut 2 acres of grass. (Jacob) Both of my kids were 2-2 1/2 weeks overdue. Nothing worked except being induced. Heck I even fell and broke my leg and Jacob still didn't come out. Spicy food didn't do it either. We are having the same weather you and SUSIE are having, very nice, mild temps and no humidity, unfortunately end of next week all the nasty hot and humid comes back for us. bleh.

HAPPY...saw on FB that you made rhubarb salsa and you let DH put in a hot pepper. YUM<YUM and more YUM....send it my way. Thanks for the info on peaches, man I have learned so much from you. You are the best teacher ever. Hugs. Oh by the way thanks for yet another card yesterday. I love you sister. Yes I am going to have a knee scooter, crutches and going to purchase a shower chair too. I am SO NOT looking forward to this surgery and can understand your friend putting it off as long as possible, Lord knows I put it off as long as I could stand it. What day is your MRI scheduled? Hmmm, wonder if surgery is in your forecast also? You know, we don't have to do everything like each other...lol.

SHADDIE...still fighting of the trainees? Bleh.

Hi DEE...

SUSIE and CHELLE come out, come out!

Love and hugs all...have a wonderful holiday weekend, SHADDIE, just pretend.
Old 07-01-2016, 10:49 AM   #116  
Annie - Indiana

and it is July.....
Old 07-01-2016, 12:22 PM   #117  

Morning all. TGIF! Office closes at 3 today, hoping for an earlier closing because I have to leave a bit early to get to a vet appointment.

Ceejay – Wow, just 8 weeks now! What a bummer with working the entire holiday weekend. I say don’t quit now, but definitely take some of that vacation time! You'll need it with this new work schedule!! Good that your friend is trying to get some help from her insurance co. I'm glad you'll be living close to family once you're retired.

Annie – Thank you for the birthday card! Good luck to S with her job search. Wow, can’t imagine how uncomfortable you must have been in those weeks after your due dates waiting for those babies to finally arrive!

Happy – Received your birthday card yesterday – thanks for thinking of me.

Hellos to everyone! Have a great weekend and have a fun and safe holiday – Shad, celebrate with us!

==
Did another BE workout this morning. Today is a vet appointment at 3:30. Doggy’s left leg/hip is really bothering him the past couple weeks and bf and I want to see what the vet recommends. Probably nothing to be done outside of making certain he is not in any pain. The arthritis is progressing and Coals’ hips are getting weaker and weaker, with the right side visibly showing so much less muscle. It’s been a sad time for bf and I to see this happening to Coal. But we’re thankful he still has a great appetite and still wants his daily walks (shorter ones now) and that he still gets up and down even when we wish he’d just stay put and give himself a rest. We’ve been told in that past that he can tolerate more meds than what he’s currently taking, so we’ll probably be adjusting those.

That’s about it for me. The only real plans for the weekend are fireworks on the 4th and seeing a band at a local fest on the 3rd. Plenty to do around the house. Outdoor stuff: getting more mulch & spreading it in that area off the patio, planting my leftover impatiens and the fern, digging out more hosta. Pulling weeds too, I guess. Inside, more of my laundry and a lot of housework.

Okay, gonna get this posted on the June thread even though I know it’s July!!
Old 07-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #118  
Choose your hard

Set up the July thread - don't post here any more.

Click to go to the current thread - Worldly Chicks July Thread Kicking off the 3rd Quarter