Old 06-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #16  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining and the thermometer says it's 83 degrees outside. We are supposed to be getting rain later today with a chance of thunderstorms during the night. Bob is signed up to go on an 85 mile tractor ride tomorrow so I hope the weather happens before they leave and not during. I asked what would happen if it started to lightning, and he said they would pull into a farm place and go in the machine shed. I have no idea how many are going but that could be cozy. I vacuumed fur bunnies and did some laundry this morning. For some reason I have no ambition since lunch; Bob grilled steaks and I baked potatoes, made a lettuce salad, and sliced strawberries.

"Gma," I hope you will like the handbag colors. Ian has XBox too, but I have no clue what it is. The kids talk about their games, etc., and compare scores when they get together. The other night when we went out for ice cream, there were two high school age couples, and all four were on smart phones. The art of verbal conversation is disappearing fast! Several people have told me their experience with Windows 10 so I called the computer guy, mainly to ask if I should go ahead to have them download it if the laptop is fixable. I'm not sure what the date is, and he didn't know, when it would be mandatory. I also asked if there was a chance it would/could automatically download again, if I stayed with 7, and he said, "definitely yes." I wish I was smarter about technology; he asked what kind of spreadsheet I'm using and I have no clue. I don't know how to make a spreadsheet. I did tell him I wished they would have a "how to do it" book with their computers. I'm sure he will be glad when I am out of his hair. The very patient man I bought it from, and who always helped me with my problems, is no longer working there. It is fun to get to know other parents and grandparents at the kids' games. Bob has a "fancy" camera and sometimes gets a good picture of other players, then will either print the pictures or send them in an email to parents. I hope you have a wonderful time at the game next weekend, and the Cubs win again!

I need to empty the vacuum and put it away. Enjoy the rest of your day and have a nice weekend!

Last edited by Jean; 06-03-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:49 AM   #17  

Good morning to you all. I am hoping the rain has moved through and we will have a sunny day today. It rained gangbusters yesterday afternoon pretty much just as Jack was leaving work so it took him quite a bit longer to get home with the noodleheads driving.

We went out to dinner last night and came home and just relaxed. We went upstairs early and Jack goofed off in his office and I sat in bed and played games on my Ipad until around 8:30 and fell asleep with the light on. I awoke briefly and looked at the clock and it was around 9:15 and the lights were out and Jack was asleep beside me. It is sure nice to be able to sleep in a bed again. I have a soft sleep number, 45. Jack sleeps mostly with 75. It is nice to be able to raise my head up too so all in all we are pleased with the bed.

We have to go to WM this morning then commissary tomorrow. I have a hair appointment on Monday and drop off the hold card then Wednesday I have to go and get my nails and toes done in my baseball theme. I sure hope they can do it.

Jack poor hand has really deteriorated over the last couple months. Like I said we went out to eat last night and he got prime rib and was having an awful time cutting it. He only ate about half and brought the rest home because it hurt to much to use his left hand to cut. I told him I would cut it up for him, but you know men.

Jean: Oh man, hope Bob doesn't get caught in a big rain storm today. I think my butt would hurt riding a tractor for 85 miles, unless it was one of those really fancy ones. I think I'll stick with my car. I had to take the Mariner out yesterday because Jack took the MKS and it was strange for me to drive it as I haven't driven it in a long time. It amazes me that people have to have their cell phone glued to their ear all the time. Sheesh we lived with landlines and pay phones and didn't expire from not having something more convenient. I do take my phone and Ipad when we leave the house, but I put grocery and shopping lists on my Ipad notepad and it allows me to check weather or whatever when I am out. I don't sit at the restaurant and fool with it and neither does Jack. Kids can't communicate except by phone in some manner anymore, they no longer teach cursive so they can't write properly, etc, etc. We have a whole generation of dopes coming up. Jackson doesn't have a lot of cousins. On our side just Thomas and on Alicia's side he has 3, two girls and a boy all of whom are younger than he is though one is close to his age. I notice Thomas was out in California with his dad climbing Mount Whitney. His mom posted pictures.

Have a great weekend everyone.
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 01:51 PM   #18  

Good Afternoon! The sun is shining, a breeze is blowing, and it's warmed up to 72 degrees. It was 53 early this morning; so far no rain but there are big poufy clouds moving through. I've done a couple loads of clothes and need to run a clean cycle on the washer. I try to get all of Bob's grubby jeans and a load of cleaning rags washed first. I have a debit that didn't show on my bank statement and that is the amount I am off. The date is right when the account cycles so not sure where it might be. I tried to go online and look but don't know how to find last month's transactions. I hate having unfinished paperwork "out." I need to vacuum the basement and planned to sort through toys. When the kids were last here they were playing with some of the things I thought they had outgrown.

"Gma," I always get a chuckle out of the names you come up with -- noodleheads. If I went to bed that early I would be wide awake in the middle of the night. I know you get up very early though; I can get in a good nap in the evening but then I'm not tired when I should go to bed. With it lighter later I don't seem to fall asleep in the evening as much as when it is dark early. What is the brand name of your bed? Bob does have a cushy seat for his tractor. They travel all back roads and he says he sees things he would never see driving a car because they go so slow. Iowa is beautiful this time of year with so many different colors of green, and there are hills, curving roads, flat areas, rivers and streams for wildlife. All four of our grandkids have time limits on their technology gizmos. At the cabin they have to wait until it is dark; if it's rainy and cold they play board games or sometimes rent a movie. I wish all of the states would outlaw the use of cell phones in moving vehicles. A bill was in our last legislature but no one could agree so it failed to pass. Dumb imo! We have Bluetooth in the car and truck, Bob uses it but I don't. I rarely get calls so get flustered looking for which button to push.

Break time is over! I need to keep moving or I will lose my motivation. Hope you all are enjoying a nice day!
Old 06-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #19  

Good morning, ladies! 74 degrees already headed for the high 80s.

Glory Bee is making pillowcase dresses for little girls in Africa. We made 16 on Thursday and will have another sew day on Tuesday and then turn in what we have. They are so cute and so easy to make.

Tomorrow is my sew day with Norah and Glory so that will be another fun day. We're getting Chinese for lunch for a change.

Donna, I hope you like your purses. I'm with you on the kids not knowing how to converse or write. The sad thing also is this generation will be the first with a shorter life expectancy than their parents because of poor eating. What is really scary is that they are the ones that need to keep paying into SS so we can get our checks.

Jean, I don't know why everyone is so scared of Windows 10. I've been using it since it came out last July and its faster and all programs work well with it. It is free until the end of this month and then you will pay $300 for it. Windows 7 will be dropped soon. When that happens, software and upgrades will no longer be available. You only get updates downloaded automatically because your computer settings are set for that. Turn it off and then it will ask if you want to install an update.

Maggie, it was so good to see your post. It's hard going though our spouse's things. I still have a sweater Stan liked to wear a lot and for awhile I slept in his pjs. It will be nice for you to have a tv. I like to cook a roast or pulled pork and then divide it up for the days I don't feel like cooking.

Have a wonderful day.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:23 PM   #20  

Good Evening! It has been a sunny day but very windy. We went to early church because I offered to pick up the offering. We had a lay speaker because this was annual conference weekend for all of the Iowa pastors. The gist of that is to review and/or make new "rules" for the next year. Anyhow, we were in and out in 45 minutes. I won't count until Tuesday because my counting partner is on vacation and the previous secretary doesn't come in on Mondays. I did some more laundry and took the vacuum apart to wash the filters. I have a P.E.O. Meeting tomorrow afternoon and we have a funeral home visitation in the evening for the neighbor who lived across the street. His wife died two years ago in June and the people who bought the house are unfriendly weekenders.

Susan, when you get together with others to sew, do you take your machine with you? I've heard of the pillowcase dresses but I have never seen one. That is a worthwhile project. You are much more computer savvy than I am! The only thing I use my laptop for is the gift shop records and to print off an occasional email. Everyone around here has shared horror stories about the 10 program. The tech said it will try to download unless one now reads the fine print saying "no and don't ask again" which I didn't read. If the tech can't fix mine I will be buying a new machine. I would be so happy with a printed instruction book!

Not much else is newsy from here. Ian has four games next week; one just across the MN border, one at home that he will miss because of driver's ed., and two further north of Sioux Falls on Saturday. We probably will try for Saturday depending on the weather. Wishing you all a marvelous Monday tomorrow!

Last edited by Jean; 06-05-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 06-06-2016, 07:33 AM   #21  

Good morning ladies. I never did get in here yesterday with commissary day and all. It is going to be lovely today but pretty warm. I see we have a tropical storm out in the gulf area so here we go. I saw the weather channel say they are expecting the most tropical storms and hurricanes in decades. Not surprising since we have had tons of odd weather this year and huge storm fronts.

We were in and out shopping fairly quickly yesterday. Since we will be gone several days I took that into account. I had a lot of cleaning stuff to buy this round, more non food than food I think. At least they had everything this time.

It is going to be a scorcher for the ballgame. The weather forecast is mid to upper 90's. The game starts at 4 so we won't get any relief. I am taking a backpack so I can put mosquito repellent we wear, lots of sunscreen, hand towels for our necks, wet wipes for cooling, etc, etc. I get burned pretty easily so I am going to have a hat and such too.

My hair appointment is this morning and believe me I can't wait. I am going to have her cut it much shorter for the ballgame and change my color back to the copper because I hate this pinker look.

Jean: I guess noodlehead is better than calling them s*******. We have a sleep number bed. I have to say, I have been able to sleep in it every night for the whole night and don't get up with a backache like I did with our old mattress. Like I said, my side is pretty soft. It goes up to 100, which is really firm. You have to put it up to 100 to sit on the sides of the bed though as there is a foam lining all around the bed that will eventually break down if you don't. We got it when it was on sale and we didn't buy the highest cost one either. It works for us and that's all I care about. Jack sleeps much better now and doesn't snore at all. In fact, sometimes he is so quiet I check him. Luckily, I don't have to do Jack's uniforms except for his t shirts. They have a uniform service. They get pants and button down shirts, but are allowed to buy themselves t shirts, long or short, with the city emblem on the pocket. Jack likes those much better so he buys them.

Susan: What a nice thing for your all to do for charity. I have never head of pillowcase dresses. It sounds interesting. There are several things screwed up with kids eating versus ours. I rarely and I mean rarely had soda or chips, etc. I played outside all the time and we didn't watch tv. I walked back and forth to school every day, which was a mile each way and we didn't eat between meals all the time. We ate more fresh as my parents and grandparents not only had gardens but bought fresh from the farmers markets and canned and froze stuff. I ate all kinds of fruits and veg and still do. My obesity started with gaining a lot of weight with both my children then not being guided about how to take it off. While Jack was in the Navy we lived poorly so I ate a lot of carbs and boxed stuff because we couldn't afford anything else. I put 2-3 lbs a year on and here I am. It is now very difficult to get it off and keep it off because of bad habits, bad prior eating and age.

Well gals, I need to get breakfast, showered and get ready to go. I have to head out in a couple hours as I have an early appointment.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:31 PM   #22  

Good Evening! Another very windy day in my corner of the world, but sunny so that was a plus. The gift shop was closed on Memorial Day so the deposit was quite small. Went to my meeting this afternoon and ate a very dry cupcake to be polite since I took one. Dumb! We went to the funeral visitation, then went to eat at a restaurant where I have a gift certificate. It's closed on Monday, which we didn't know, so went to a sports bar instead. All the tvs are distracting, at least to me, but the food is good.

"Gma," we are supposed be in the 90s by the weekend so guess the furnace project is on hold for now. You are wise to be prepared for the game whatever the weather. I am taking a jacket and blanket "just in case." I have tried sleeping on two pillows but end up either tossing one, or having a stiff neck. Hope your hair turns out just the way you like it!

The computer guy called and said I should have a CD that came with the laptop, and I need to bring it to him. Luckily he called a couple minutes before 5 so I have time to look for it. I'm sure I wouldn't have thrown it away. We are counting at church tomorrow, and later going to MN for Ian's game tomorrow night. Bob says it won't be any further away. It's back roads so I won't have any landmarks to follow. I just hope we don't get lost; he traveled these roads when he sold oil many years ago.

I'm off to hunt for a disc! Hope you all enjoy a terrific Tuesday tomorrow!

Last edited by Jean; 06-06-2016 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:32 PM   #23  

Good Morning! Another sunny, NO wind morning in my neighborhood. It was a cool 50 degrees when I walked out the door at 8:00. I found the computer "stuff" I needed to take to the computer guru this morning. Actually, I had two plastic bags of papers and discs, both labeled Do Not Discard! I told the guy he could have his pick! One was for an old PC and the other for the laptop. I'm sure I left him shaking his head. Church counting didn't balance and the secretary, who now has the title of "helper," said we would just add it to the offering. Normally, we go back and double check the check amounts with what is written on the envelopes, then recount the cash. Since she was running the adding machine and making the deposit, we did it her way. I made a quick stop for bread on the way home, and dropped off checks at the hospital.

Now I need to think about something for lunch and fold some laundry. We will leave for the game mid afternoon since we aren't for sure exactly where we are going. I'd rather be early than late. Enjoy a terrific Tuesday and do something fun!
Old 06-08-2016, 07:19 AM   #24  

Good morning! Going to be sunny and hot today. Lots of running around today and packing as we leave for Atlanta in the morning.

Jack has to get his haircut, I have to get my nails done, get car washed and gassed up, get ice for the cooler as we take our own sodas for the hotels. We're just going to eat out tonight so we don't have clean up.

My allergies decided they were going to rear their ugly head yeasterday so I am pretty miserable. Headache, scratchy throat, coughing, itching ears, the whole bag. I took something this morning I hope will help.

Jean: The haircut was almost a fiasco. First there was a huge power outage in the area, then I show up and no one is there as they are closed on Mondays but she is her own boss now so works whener she books clients. She calls about 10 minutes late and says she just got up. I was not about to go to Atlanta without my hair cut so I waited. She showed up an hour later!! 😡 By then power had been restored thank goodness. I told her I wanted to go back to the darker copper color and wanted it really short because of the ballgame. She cut it short but the color is not as dark as I wanted so next time she's going to have to make it darker. It's ok but more like a carrot than a pennie. 😄😄 At least it's nice and short as the temps are going to be near 100 that day. I am taking a backpack to the ballpark with wet wipes, small hand towels, etc, etc, so we can be somewhat comfortable. The game is at 4 so it'll still be really hot. Hope Ian's game goes well and you didn't get lost. Thankfully, trip to Atlanta is all interstate.

Everyone have a good day and I'll try and get in here while we're gone.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:00 PM   #25  

Good Afternoon! It's been another sunny, windy, and warm (88 degrees right now) day. The humidity is fairly low so the air conditioner is more off than on. I went to lunch bunch this noon; the gal who is on the school board wasn't there so we didn't get any scoop on school news. On my way home I stopped by the gift shop to pick up more invoices to pay. Just got home and got a call that my laptop was ready, so off I went again. The recovery discs didn't work, for whatever reason, but the guy could do something else to find and save my gift shop records. Another disc in the bag turned out to be Windows 10, which was available when I bought it almost 5 years ago! I asked why all the hype about 10 now, and he didn't know. The charge was $117; $50 for the new virus program, and $50 for reloading everything. I was expecting much, much more so was pleasantly surprised. The guy showed me how to find and work the basics so hope I can remember! His parting comment was to not be afraid to play around with it. Playing around is when I seem to get into my messes.

"Gma," I hope your allergy meds work for you. My eyes have been watery the last few days and I hate that. Everything looks blurry and it's hard to read. I had to laugh at the carrot vs penny hair color. I knew a boy in school, and they called him Carrot Top all the way through. Our drive to Ian's game was rally pretty over two lane highways. His team was undefeated but lost last night with the 10 run rule. Our coach opted to play out the remaining innings for practice. Our kids couldn't do anything right and the other team couldn't miss. The umpire was a young kid and the strike zone was down by the ankles. At least he was consistent on that with both teams but really inconsistent on most calls. The kids have one game on Friday which Ian will miss due to driver's ed, and two back to back on Saturday. There is a possibility for one on Sunday depending on Saturday. It's supposed to be in the 90s so I feel sorry for the kids. Have a great time at the Cubs game!

I need to think about something for supper, probably leftover chicken and a salad for starters. Hope you all enjoy your evening and have a terrific Thursday tomorrow!
Old 06-09-2016, 09:53 AM   #26  

Good morning to you ladies. We are pretty much packed up and ready to go except for my handbag, backpack, snacks and sodas and Jack will do that when he gets back and then we are off. He went to get his hair cut this morning. I sure hope they do a better job than last time. He gets it clipper cut short and they barely cut it last time. He hates getting a haircut so he wouldn't make her do it over.

We are going to have beautiful, sunny, but very hot weather our whole trip. I took a backpack so I can take all the stuff we need to stay cool and to keep bugs off and from getting sunburned. Bugs are pretty bad down here this summer and all we need is to get West Nile from mosquito bites. We have these off things you wear on your pants so you aren't all greasy and sticky and I bought spray on sunscreen so hope it works.

Jean: That is too bad about Ian's team. I hope you are able to work all the kinks out and get things rolling with the computer. I had a really good chicken salad sandwich last night for dinner. They only have it seasonally so I can't get it all year, but it sure was good. The only thing I would change is put some sliced grapes in it to give it just a touch of sweetness. Best chicken salad I have had is from Bob Evans. They have fabulous chicken salad.

Everyone have a great day and great weekend. We will be back Sunday evening.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:38 PM   #27  

Good Afternoon! It is a breezy and hot 91 degree day in my neighborhood. I've spent most of the day fighting with my laptop! I wanted to print an email and between the kitchen table, and the printer upstairs the mouse disappeared. I called the computer guy and he messed around with it from the office, and finally found it. Ok, good. I print my email for a P.E.O. Friend who doesn't compute or use a cell phone. I delivered that and returned the church office key to my counting partner. Came home and tried to print my gift shop report, no go on that one. The mouse disappeared again until I plugged the power cord in, but it still wouldn't print. It was almost five so will call my computer guy tomorrow first thing in the morning. I don't know why this has to be so confusing and difficult! We are going on a short MN fishing trip so need to line up a perm soon.

"Gma," we are supposed to be in the 90s for our ball games on Saturday. I will be thinking of you! We can sweat together. I'd like to give this laptop the heave ho at this point. The computer guy keeps telling me how easy it is; easy for him! Do you have Arby's down there? They put grapes in their chicken salad and it is good. Hope you have a great weekend!

Bob is home so need to think about food again. Life would be so simple if we didn't have to eat!!! Have a nice evening and a fantastic Friday tomorrow!

Last edited by Jean; 06-09-2016 at 06:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 07:58 PM   #28  

Good Evening! A 98 degree day here today! There was a breeze so it didn't feel quite so bad outside. The furnace/air guy didn't get here until late afternoon and was able to fix the air conditioner. The freon, or whatever it is, was a little low and froze. After we turned it off there was a stream running from underneath which meant it was thawing. Bottom line is we need a new furnace due to worn flame thingys, and a new thermostat which is most likely the same one installed with the original furnace when the house was built. Will get the ball rolling as soon as this hot weather breaks. Another chunk out of the checkbook! Got my perm this afternoon, and enough said about that. Tomorrow is two baseball games if we can manage the heat.

Hope you all have a nice weekend and keep cool.
Old 06-11-2016, 12:33 PM   #29  

Good afternoon, ladies! In the 90s today with sunshine and a nice breeze.

Today is tea day for Glory, Irene and me. We're also celebrating Irene's 85th birthday.

I've been kind of lazy lately just doing laundry, bathrooms, kitchen, and floors this past week. I need to clean carpets but have been putting that off.

Jean, it's always something when you own a house. I always laugh when people say you own your home so you live for free. By the time the mortgage is paid off, everything is falling apart.

Life is good, have a wonderful day!
Old 06-12-2016, 11:00 AM   #30  

Good morning, ladies! Another day in the 90s.

Interesting article in the Parade Magazine that comes with our Sunday paper "The Skinny on Fat." Here's the link http://parade.com/484101/paulaspence...t-fats-to-eat/ to it. Over 700,000 people die from heart disease because they don't eat enough fat. Eating fat doesn't make you fat and even the dietary guidelines no longer has a cap on the amount of fat people can eat in a day. Fat-free and lowfat foods are terrible because they have extra sugar, starch, and/or sodium to make them taste good. The article is very good.

Have a great day.